Roll Call
1 members (Reboot), 15 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/28/24 01:12 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 11:47 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 49 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 48 49
Re: Loss: A Tribute to the Post Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes
Invisible Brainiac #824749 10/12/14 08:11 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
You're very welcome, Ibby. And thank you for all the information on Gear, including the link to that excellent Hero History.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Invisible Brainiac #824750 10/12/14 08:21 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
You're welcome as well, Fanfie! I really appreciate whenever someone wants to learn more about the Postboot version of the Legion.

A Universe Reborn
Invisible Brainiac #824789 10/13/14 08:28 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

VOLUME 2: SCATTERED SOULS

In another Legion's universe...

XS ran faster and faster and faster on the Cosmic Treadmill so that she would not have time to feel the butterflies in her stomach. She tried hard to push the thought from her mind, that what they were doing now was a direct result of their universe's Time Trapper placing some information in her mind. Whether or not the Trapper's intentions were altruistic - and that was debatable - it didn't change the fact that the Trapper had tampered with her mind.

Over in the floating bubble anchored to the treadmill, her friends and teammates were just as nervous.

"Are you sure we're going the right way?!" Gates stood beside Star Boy and Brainiac 5, both of whom were intently studying Star Boy's starfield costume.

"I heard that you always had great faith in your own Brainiac 5, Gates," Brainiac 5 responded as he calmly tracked their progress. "As I have explained over and over, the map of the multiverse that is Star Boy's costume will lead us to the spot occupied by your own universe. That is, if Kinetix will stop altering it."

Kinetix jumped as he said that, and her ever-present green aura flashed once. Brainiac 5's costume grew tighter, and the sides turned black. Saturn Girl's hair set itself into a ponytail, and her skirt disappeared. Phantom Girl's grew a cape and a touchstone. Both Legionnaires looked down in surprise.

"Nice look, but I gave up on capes long ago," Tinya smiled reassuringly as Zoe covered her mouth in shock. "It's fashionable, but impractical."

"Ohhh grife! I'm so sorry, reining in my powers is harder than I thought." Zoe waved her hand, and the costumes returned to normal. "Especially now that I'm really nervous."

"Absolute powers corrupts absolutely," Gates snapped as he turned back to Star Boy's costume. "I've said it before, too much power in the hands of one person is dangerous."

"Easy, Gates," Tinya chided as she laid a reassuring hand on Kinetix's shoulder. "Zoe has the magic of your entire universe in her, and then some. She's just nervous."

"And I don't blame her," Tyroc added from his spot beside the White Witch. "It's not my universe and I'm already quaking in my boots! At least she's managed not to turn any of us into Venturan Walking Money, yet."

Gates sighed as he turned to Zoe. "I'm sorry, I hate to admit it, but I'm just nervous."

"Then let's change the subject," Tyroc interrupted. "So, if your universe is still gone, what about that Kwai you saw back in the 21st century? How did it escape your universe's destruction when it wasn't anywhere near you?"

"I can only posit," Brainiac 5's tone was curious. "There must have been another mechanism by which that Kwai escaped your universe. It could be..."

He was interrupted by XS' tapping. "Everyone... we are here."

The group turned in awe as they emerged into the space just outside where their old universe, known to some as Universe-247, used to be. A bright white void opened up all around them.

"It's beautiful..." The White Witch intoned as the others stared in awe at it.

"Could this be what Element Lad saw, when he was on the edge of reality?" XS' voice was barely a whisper. "Outside, looking in."**

"Who cares?!" Gates teleported in front of the group and waved his arms. "All that's in the past! Let's go save our world for the future already!"

Kinetix's glow intensified as she stepped forward. "I agree with Gates. I feel like I'm about to burst." As she spoke, Star Boy's costume grew a big yellow star on his chest, while Mysa's skirt shortened. "Grife," Kinetix shook her head as she restored their costumes. "My time as a terrorform was bad enough. I don't know what's going to happen to me if I continue to hold THIS much power!" The Legionnaires gasped audibly as a green glow appeared outside the bubble, and rock began to form in the void.

"Easy, Zoe," XS put a calming hand on her friend's shoulder.

"The magic you absorbed is beginning to reassert itself," Mysa's voice quavered in a mix of excitement and awe.

"And we are here to give order to it," Brainiac 5 took out his Omnicom. "Let's begin."

Saturn Girl closed her eyes and opened her mind. "Kinetix, XS, Gates, it is time for you to remember everything you can about your world."

As the telepathic circle opened, the White Witch waved her hands. "A spell of similarity, to link your memories to this plane." For his part, Tyroc began to hum. The void outside shifted and warped and folded in on itself.

"When you are ready, Kinetix," Brainiac 5's tone spoke of his fascination.

Kinetix closed her eyes and began to release the magic inside her. Phantom Girl watched intently as the green glow funneled itself into the white space. Before her astonished eyes, stars and planets began to coalesce out of thin air.

"Brainy... are we really recreating an entire universe here?" Tinya breathed.

"Something else else like that, yes. The entire universe is actually housed inside Kinetix's body. Or rather, its blueprints are. I can only guess as to how that happened. But now we are reversing the process, drawing it out of her body and reforming it according to what it should be..."

"Sometimes, Brainy, you talk too much," Star Boy whispered as he recorded the whole process. "Just enjoy the moment."

The glow vanished slowly around Kinetix as the void began to fill with tiny specks of light. Soon, the void had changed into the familiar appearance of numerous galaxies. Zoe looked up and smiled at Jenni and Gates. "We did it. We really did it."

And she fainted dead away from exhaustion.

*IB's note:

During Legion Lost, it was revealed that the void which swallowed the Legion Outpost had thrown them outside of reality. Element Lad was the only conscious Legionnaire. He described it as a white void of some sort. For the Legion to restore the Postboot universe, I posit that they also had to be outside reality - most likely not in the same space Element Lad had been in, but close to it.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/01/15 09:03 AM.
Endings and Beginnings
Invisible Brainiac #824812 10/13/14 10:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

In the Postboot Legion's universe...

One year ago.

RJ Brande

"By damn! In here, in here!" RJ Brande hollered with all his might as the red skies intensified. Scores of screaming sentients ran into the bunkers, but hundreds more remained outside.

"Mr. Brande!" RJ gasped as a strong wind pushed him down. He turned to see some debris crashing where he had been. A gloved hand reached out to him; he gripped it with thanks. Nightwind, Shvaughn Erin, Impulse, Infectious Lass, Dyrk Magz, Polar Boy, Babbage, Amp Girl, Comet Queen, Retro and the Lady Mysa stood before him. "Uncanny Amazers can't make it," Dyrk said breathlessly. "This is happening all over."

"All Science Police officers and Legion Cadets are scrambling on Earth," Shvaughn Erin added. "But I don't know what good we can do."

The ground shook as a loud boom rocked the building. The group rushed out to chaos.

"Am... am I really seeing that?" Retro stammered. Nobody responded. Gigantic hands were emerging from the red skies.

"Oh grife. I really wish we had the Legionnaires here now..." Amp Girl murmured under her breath.

"Your wish is our command!" RJ Brande froze: he knew that voice. Could it be...? The group gasped in shock yet again, but this time in elation, as over two dozen colorful figures appeared. The Lost Legionnaires!

"Maybe we should add super-wish granting to our powers," Chameleon quipped as he looked around. "Good to see you again, everyone."

"Okay team," Kid Quantum barked. "Saturn Girl, fill us in. Brainy, Dreamer, take a few seconds and then tell me what you know. The rest of you, start getting people to safety. Legion cadets, help us out - Triad will tell you where to go. Let's go Legionnaires!" Most of the Legionnaires and all the cadets dispersed.

RJ Brande forced his mouth to work. "By damn! Jazmin, where have you all been?"

"We were lost in the timestream," Kid Quantum answered as she generated a quantum bubble to protect the group, while Cosmic Boy began motioning sentients into the bunker. "I'm not sure how long - Gear reckons a couple of days - and then suddenly we were drawn back here."

"It was a heckuva rush," Chuck Taine panted as he took his cap off. "Now I know what it's like being an active Legionnaire."

"You did well, Chuck," Dreamer smiled. "You helped keep our spirits up while we were being tossed around like leaves in the wind."

"How... how did you get back?" Shvaughn asked.

"I believe those hands were responsible," Brainiac 5 explained in clipped tones. "When they entered our plane of existence, we were somehow drawn here as well."

"Kid Quantum! Cosmic Boy!" The group turned around in surprise yet again. "Shikari?!" Kid Quantum gasped.

"I've finally found you," Shikari's voice was full of relief.

"And just in time too," Brainiac 5's voice was warm but business-like. "It is good to see you, Shikari. And we need you to lead somewhere. There is an intelligence behind these hands."

"And I can see us investigating the hands," Dreamer added. "But I can't see anything after, except whiteness. I do know that we all have to be there. Especially Kinetix and XS."

"Well, that's good enough for me." Kid Quantum held her flight ring up to her lips. "Legionnaires, head up to the sky. Shikari, Kinetix, XS, take point. Cadets, stay where you are."

"Any way I can help?" Chuck asked.

"Keep everyone safe," Kid Quantum smiled as she turned to fly. "I know you will."

And they flew up, all 27 active Legionnaires. As they flew closer and closer to the gigantic ethereal hands, Kinetix began to glow brighter and brighter. Then, the world seemed to shimmer and explode in a burst of light.

RJ Brande covered his eyes as a ripple in reality seemed to pass. His whole being felt, for a moment, that it was being scattered like grains of sand in the sea. The intense sensation lasted just a moment before the world flashed back into view.

They stared in wonder at a normal-looking night sky. The violent storms that were plaguing the world had disappeared.

And so had the Legionnaires.

RJ Brande stared wordlessly at the empty night sky. The Legionnaires had been returned to them for such a short time. And now they were gone again.

Today.

RJ Brande looked at the long row of golden statues they had prepared for Legion Day - the last day of Legion Month. It was almost that time of year again, and this would be the first time they would celebrate it with a completely new Legion. Yet... he couldn't shake the dream he had last night.

He took a seat as he watched the hustle and bustle around him. Spider-Girl and Blizzard were putting up banners; Tenzil Kem and Particon were going over the menu. The unflappable Marla Latham was in the middle of it all, keeping track of everything while being ably assisted by Lori Morning. The girl has really grown up over the past couple of years.

As he watched the various Legionnaires, Cadets and Support Staff below, RJ smiled. They were all working hard to keep the spirit of the Legion alive. The words he said before were true - the Legion isn't just about flight rings, or powers, or costumes, or any single one person. No, the Legion is an ideal. A way of thinking, a way of life. It is hope.

And if his dream were correct, his hope that the Lost Legionnaires would return would soon come true.

He smiled as he looked at his notes. His speech wouldn't write itself, now, would it?

IB's notes:

Check the very first post of this thread for a summary of what came before. That post was the outline for this one.

This scene takes place during Infinite Crisis.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 11/28/15 03:51 AM.
Planning for Home
Invisible Brainiac #824819 10/13/14 11:31 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Kinetix woke up with a start. A startled XS and Gates stared back at her. "About time!" Gates' tone was harsh, but his expression was soft as he teleported to her bedside. "Here, have some kono juice. It's nowhere near as tasty as kono fruit in our reality, but it will do."

Harmonia Li leaned forward. "Kinetix, I'm sorry to push you so as soon as you have woken up, but... Can you try to levitate this glass, please?"

Kinetix's heart caught in her throat. She hadn't even considered the possibility that she would lose her powers again. She opened her hand, and the glass flew into her palm. Audible sighs of relief were heard all around, including her own. She quickly used her powers to mold the blanket away from her body as she sat up in bed. "I guess after all that, I've lost all my magic and only have my original powers, right?"

"I would think you still have the potential to access the magical forces of your home reality," Harmonia considered. "But you are correct. Currently, you only have your original psychokinesis."

"I can live with that," Kinetix smiled. "I can't believe we have our universe back! You did great, Jenni." Kinetix hugged XS and Gates in delight.

"But we also wouldn't have done it without you, Zoe," XS smiled. "Brainiac 5 explained it all. Your terrorform physiology and magically-altered DNA somehow interacted with the gigantic hands that we saw. As our universe was being converted into energy by the red skies, your body absorbed it all before it could be siphoned away!"

Kinetix put her hand on her forehead as she took it all in. "Wow. I didn't even know I was capable of doing that!"

"In my opinion, you vertebrates often underestimate or overestimate yourself because of your lack of self-awareness," Gates teased. "In any case, you probably can't do it again unless you become a terrorform again."

"Ugh, no thanks," Zoe laughed. "So, when can we go back?"

"Three more days," XS' tone was clearly impatient. Three days would be a long time for anyone in their situation, but an eternity to a super-speedster. "Brainiac 5 believes that time is moving at an accelerated rate in our universe to "catch up" to the amount of time we have spent away, and it will take three days before an equal amount of time will have passed there. I mean, we could go back earlier, but this way everyone there will have aged the same amount of time that we have."

"Or the amount of time that those of us who weren't trapped in evil old magicians have aged," Kinetix laughed. "So that means we have three days to find the rest of the gang so we can go home together."

"Dawnstar is working on that now," Gates added. "I made our Brainy promise to meet us here exactly one year after he left; with Shikari along they should be able to find their way back. But that's still four months away from today. I'd rather not wait that long."

"I'm with you on this one, Gates," XS said as she helped Kinetix up. "And I really can't wait to see them again."

"Me too. I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when we tell them we have our home back," Kinetix smiled as she turned to look out the window. The sun was shining, and the world had never seemed so beautiful before. And her heart had never felt so happy.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/01/15 09:04 AM.
Stuck in Paradise
Invisible Brainiac #824820 10/13/14 12:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

In another universe...

Karate Kid stared silently as his teammates milled about this new world they had arrived on two weeks ago. They all seemed peaceful, as if their aches and pains had disappeared. They seemed quite cheery, in fact. Violet had stopped mourning Kinetix; Apparition had stopped looking at her holos of Cub; Cosmic Boy had stopped talking about what a good athlete his brother was. This definitely couldn't be just because of the meditation sessions he had been leading. Something else else else was going on.

He closed his eyes and reviewed the last few days. The Legionnaires had jumped through a series of increasingly hostile worlds - a horrible Earth ruled by evil versions of the 21st century Justice League; an apocalyptic wasteland full of decaying humans; an empire of talking apes who had wanted to imprison them; a waterworld where the seas had never subsided. Then they had emerged into this, their 38th world since they had been summoned out of limbo.

It looked just like 20th century Earth, or so Cosmic Boy had said. Bubbling rivers flowed through tranquil golden fields of grain bordered by verdant forests teeming with wildlife. The fruit growing from the trees was edible, nutritious and delicious; there was plentiful game and Timber Wolf and Shikari had caught more than enough for the entire team.

They were supposed to leave after one night, but the team had been through so much that they decided to take a break. And so one night turned into two, and two nights into three. Now, two weeks later, Ultra Boy was talking about building a cottage so they wouldn't have to sleep on the hard ground anymore. Sensor had begun painting again, and Ferro had started sewing warmer clothes in preparation for the winter. Spark and Triad were taking holos of the green leaves which were slowly turning various shades of red and orange. Wildfire, who had been the most vocal about continuing on their journey, had stopped trying to convince everyone to leave.

Yes, something was not quite right about it. He had talked to Kid Quantum, but she felt no urgency about leaving. Brainiac 5 had told him that staying a little longer would not jeopardize their chances of finding their own world. Invisible Kid had assured him that their settlement could withstand a harsh winter. Live Wire had recommended staying a bit longer so they could harvest as much grain as possible and replenish their food stores. Mon-El had used his vision powers, but had failed to see any sentient creatures on the planet. And Saturn Girl had told him that she could not detect another sentient mind in the vicinity.

This ruled out an outside influence, then. But why were his teammates suddenly so complacent?

If it had been some sort of biological agent in the area, surely Brainiac 5 would have detected it, and Ferro and Wildfire would not have been affected. Karate Kid considered. Could it be that this world was just so peaceful, so serene and so beautiful, that everyone wanted to stay?

He thought about it as he bit into the soft, round red fruit that they had picked from the trees on the edge of the woods. Maybe that was it. In any case, there could be no harm in spending some more time here.

He settled back against his cushions and let his mind wander. It WAS good to relax for a bit.

He stared out into this beautiful new world. How lucky they were to have found it.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/01/15 09:05 AM.
A Thorny Path
Invisible Brainiac #824821 10/13/14 12:16 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Herros carefully regulated his breathing as he knelt before his new master. He had never known such gratitude before meeting this man; after all, his master had been the one who had saved him when the red skies came.

Yet at the same time, he had never felt such fear.

He peered out of the corner of his eye as his master reached out for his cup. He took a sip, then set the cup down. Each action was carefully measured and deliberated. Then his master fixed his gaze at Herros. Despite himself, Herros made sure not to flinch.

"So, Herros. When we fled through the Bleed* into this other universe's 21st century, you tell me that at least one another being from the destroyed Earth-247 has survived."

Herros did not raise his head as he answered. "Yes, Master. It was the Legionnaire called Gates."

"And you are sure it was he?"

"Yes, Master. My pathfinding sense told me so."

"I see." The Master drummed his hands on the armrest of his throne. "And you also saw some creatures very similar to some beings from Earth-247, who are not quite like them?"

"Yes, Master. There was a being who was very much like the Legionnaire Wildfire. But there was something different. It was not the same being."

"This universes' doppelganger, most likely." The Master paused, considering. "And only one day after you saw him, Earth-247 seems to have been restored."

Herros did not answer. He knew the question wasn't directed at him.

The Master stood up, and Herros tensed. He listened intently to see if the Master were nearing him.

The footsteps stopped some distance away. Herros forced himself not to look.

"Prepare yourself, Herros. We are going to return to Earth-247 at this time tomorrow."

Herros' master turned and walked away, as Herros sighed in relief. He would not be punished this time.

IB's Notes:

1) Herros is a Kwai. He was the Kwai who sided with the Credo in Legion 5 against the Progeny refugees on the Kwai township.

2) The Bleed is basically the space between universes.

Re: Post ZH Legion: Scattered Souls COMPLETE (Oct 14, 2014)
Invisible Brainiac #825250 10/16/14 07:11 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Loving how this is turning out and i can't wait for Vol.3.

Three days to find the team and a mysterious figure is aiming to return before the team does... hmmm i wonder what that could do to their universe and its time speeding up.... i also can't wait to see who this master is!

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Invisible Brainiac #825275 10/16/14 11:29 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks, Omni! The mysterious bad guy will make things very exciting for our Legionnaires smile

The time speeding up thing won't be a major factor, i just introduced it as a way for the universes to "align" in terms of amount of time passed.

Thanks again for all the support smile and for the bouncing off of ideas! Our brainstorming has been very helpful to me in visualizing where I want to go next smile I'm very excited for v3 too!

Invisible Brainiac #825291 10/17/14 09:17 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Restoring Earth-247...

Damned right!

Keep it coming.

Invisible Brainiac #825335 10/17/14 04:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Quality read!

Using Star Boys' costume multiverse map was very clever, and the conversation between Brainy and Gates was good too. Tinyas empathy to Zoe struggling with her abilities was sweet. Zoe referencing her Terraform days was well done, just slipped in and then moved on, well done to deal with it like that as really the less said the better as that really was a terrible character story line with no real pay off other than she lost her nipples and looked like mud if I remember rightly.

"Sometimes, Brainy, you talk too much," Ha! Best quote of the piece and so true.

Loving your Gates, from his harsh tone to his caring acts - that's how I imagine him too.

The one year earlier section was poignant and linking it to the start of this fantastic thread was quite brilliant, pat yourself on the back for that idea and execution IB! Three days to find their teammates, who I imagine won't want to leave Planet Nirvana, that'll be interesting to read! Great ending to that post with Zoe being happy, somehow though I don't think it will last, or maybe that's just how I would write it smile

The final post - oh! So there's a serious villain that the Kwai is scared to look in the eye - has anyone else suggested Darkseid yet? I'm loving the cliffhanger IB!

Can't wait to read more, more and a great bit load of more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Harbinger #825396 10/18/14 09:40 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks, Harbi! Your usual support and thorough commentary is greatly appreciated smile

Gates has been a treat to write, I have to keep reminding myself that after the Anomaly he mellowed down a bit while still retaining the acerbic tone and the attitude of speaking his mind. I'm glad you like the balance I am striking. It was also fun exploring how he would react to this Brainy, given his close friendship with the Postboot Brainy.

Yes, terrorform Zoe was a terrible, terrible development and the sooner it is forgotten, the better. I am just glad I can use that episode as a way to explain Zoe's maturity with regards to power.

Tinya's empathy is one factor which I think should make her a great leader, and I am happy to be able to highlight it here.

Originally Posted by Harbinger

The one year earlier section was poignant and linking it to the start of this fantastic thread was quite brilliant, pat yourself on the back for that idea and execution IB!

Thank you for the high praise, Harbi! It was one of those ideas that just sprang to mind while I was plotting the end, and it just seemed to fit so.

And yes, Planet Nirvana and the big bad who scares Herros so will both have important roles to play. I'm excited for Volume 3 myself, especially because we will finally get the gang together... though maybe not in the way everyone hopes!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 10/25/14 02:59 AM.
Georgehaze #825397 10/18/14 09:40 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Georgehaze
Restoring Earth-247...

Damned right!

Keep it coming.

Thanks, Georgehaze! It means a lot, to hear approval from a diehard Postboot Legion fan such as yourself.

Invisible Brainiac #825604 10/20/14 04:32 PM
PAGE 5:

Great use of Postboot Shvaughn, whom I adore. Can't wait to find out what she and Gigi are planning.

Glad your stories are all-inclusive of the Postboot mythos, even unpopular characters like Lori Morning. Based on your portrayal of her, I don't see what all the fuss was about.

Invisible Brainiac #825617 10/20/14 06:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Glad you liked Shvaughn's use, Fanfie! I always liked her role as an older and very competent non-powered ally to the team.

Lori was extremely childish and petulant in a large portion of the Reboot era. I took some liberties by making her more mature, triggered by her friendship with XS and her loss of the H-dial. Your comment is probably that best compliment I could receive on the inclusion of Lori smile thanks as always for the feedback Fanfie!

Invisible Brainiac #825619 10/20/14 06:07 PM
You're very welcome, Ibby, and thanks for the explanation about Lori's unpopularity.

Of course someday -- SOMEDAY sigh -- I'll have all the Postboot issues and I'll see what I think of her.

Invisible Brainiac #825630 10/21/14 03:21 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I look forward to that day, Fanfie. I am sure we will have lots of interesting discussions.

Possibly Lori Morning's greatest sin was when Rond Vidar and the Legion tried to rescue those trapped in the 20th century. Cosmic Boy's mind had been shut down then. Afraid she would be sent home, Lori sabotaged the time machine and trapped the Legionnaires in the timestream.

Even though she mounted a rescue, her actions were selfish AND reckless. Plus, she could simply have told the Legionnaires that she didn't want to go home especially as she had no more family then.

Fitting In
Invisible Brainiac #826224 10/27/14 04:05 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

VOLUME 3: HOMECOMING

Jancel Ardeen picked at her cafeteria food. It was delicious; Titanet food always was, and cadets' needs were cared for very well due to the Titanet's crucial role in everyday life. She just didn't have much of an appetite.

Her thoughts were interrupted as a quartet of chattering girls approached. Titanians Zeela and Portela, and Naltorians Gilda and Myra. They stopped as they saw Jancel, and she could see them glancing around nervously. All the other tables in the cafeteria were filled, and they had no choice. Jancel sighed; she could really use some alone time right now. But her conversation with Mekt Ranzz had been the slap in the face she had needed. As her parents had been telling her forever, if she wanted to make friends, she would have to make an effort. She forced herself to smile as she waved at the four girls and patted the bench beside her. The four looked at each other; Jancel could tell they were communicating telepathically. Then they smiled - small smiles, but still smiles - and made their way to her table.

"Hi Jancel, how was your time at the L- at the family reunion?" Portela smiled nervously as she sat at the far end of the table. A big Saturn Girl fan, or at least bigger than most of the Titanians here, Portela already knew better than to ask Jancel about Imra.

"It was okay," Jancel forced her tone to be smooth as she drank some soup. "It's surprising how few of the other Legionnaires had siblings."

"Oh, uh, that's interesting," Myra said shyly as she sipped her iced pluberry tea. "I know the Ranzzes had an older brother, and Leviathan had a sister..."

"And Sensor had a brother, a prince," giggled Zeela. She was always bubbly, and Jancel knew she wouldn't be careful about what she said just because Jancel might get annoyed. She wasn't tactless, just a tad thoughtless. Jancel bit her lip as Zeela went on. "Too bad that prince isn't humanoid!"

Gilda laughed. "Yeah, I'm all for breaking down the barriers but I'm sure MY mom would be speechless at a serpentine son-in-law!"

Jancel joined in as the girls laughed. She had to admit, it felt good. "Or I could just imagine my mom's face if I brought home the older Ranzz. Hey mom! This guy's hot, but he killed 47 people. Is that a problem?"

Her four companions froze in shock at her quip. Portela's spoon clanged noisily on her tray as all four looked at her. Jancel's heart pounded in her chest. Had she said the wrong thing again? Grife, and she thought Zeela was thoughtless!

Then her fear evaporated as the other girls laughed. "Oh Jancel!" Myra giggled. "That was pretty funny!"

"Yeah," Zeela laughed. "I didn't know you had such a sense of humor!" Jancel made sure to smile at that.

"Gilda here doesn't seem to agree," Portela teased as she nudged the blonde Naltorian beside her. "Or are you still processing the joke, dear?"

"Hold on," Myra said as she peered over. "It's a waking dream. A dreamflash. We've been getting these more and more often."

"I wonder what this one will be about," Zeela breathed in amazement.

Myra shrugged. "Most of it's mundane stuff, like what the cafeteria will serve for lunch." She bit into her sandwich. Jancel was amazed at her cavalier attitude; if she could tell the future, there would be no end to what she could accomplish! Myra glanced at Gilda again. "Hold on, she's coming out of it."

Gilda's eyes blinked rapidly a couple of times as her chest heaved, marking the transition from vision to present. She turned wide-eyed to her companions. And then she screamed.

Zeela stood up immediately and put a calming hand on Myra. "Gilda! Gilda! What happened?" Zeela looked at Myra pleadingly.

Myra stood frozen to the spot. "It... it must have been a horrible vision. I... I don't know what to do!"

Jancel stood up, heart pounding even more. "Maybe we can try entering her mind. Just to see what she saw. If we understand that, we can help calm her down." Portela and Zeela both looked at her as if she were crazy. One of the first lessons a Titanian learned was never to make mental contact with a distressed mind. Not unless you had plenty of skill and a ton of experience under your belt. And these cadets did not have that much experience.

Jancel's pride warred against her common sense. "Come on, there are three of us, and we all have experience working with Naltorians. I..." Before she could continue, she noticed Zeela and Portela stiffening at attention. And a voice behind her spoke, causing her to freeze.

"I admire your initiative, Cadet Ardeen, but I would urge the utmost caution even in situations you think might be familiar."

"Chief Adept Erqol!" Jancel stammered. "I was just..."

"I understand," Chief Adept Erqol smiled, not unkindly. "But I would err on the side of caution, as Cadets Valya and Capule so obviously did." Zeela and Portela nodded gratefully. "Now then, let me make contact with young Gilda."

Jancel observed in interest as the older woman's telepathic signature flared up around her head and Gilda's head. Titanians could tell who was making contact with who, as long as minds were being touched directly. Chief Adept Erqol's mind touched Gilda's for only a few seconds before she stood up with a determined stare. At the same time, Gilda stopped screaming and opened her own eyes in shock.

"Chief Adept..." Zeela asked tentatively.

"Follow me, all five of you." Chief Adept Erqol started walking purposely as she sent telepathic messages left and right. "All Titanet adepts and cadets, stand ready to pool your telepathic talents together in fifteen minutes."

Jancel traded glances with the others, then began to walk. They trailed the Chief Adept through the corridors of the Titanet Institute as she continued barking orders, until they entered the lift tubes. As they walked, Gilda kept swallowing and glancing at the Chief Adept. Jancel realized that until now, only the two of them knew what Gilda had seen.

As the lift tube closed, all five girls felt the Chief Adept's telepathic voice in their heads. "I will show you what Gilda saw, because you were there. But you are not to tell a soul until I say you can. Do you understand?" Each girl thought out their assent; Jancel was the last.

And then the vision began.

Flashes of energy above a shaking Legion World.

Floating bodies in space, flight rings glistening on limp fingers.

An armada of ships above Earth.

A giant crystalline memorial shaking and cracking.

And more and more images, a flurry of them, all jumbled up. Rows and rows of bodies in glass tubes. Bloodstained floors. A small blue and white ship charging a much bigger one. A woman with orange eyes vanishing in a burst of flame. A blonde who looked like her own sister crying out in pain. And many more, of people she didn't know, or people she thought she recognized but couldn't be sure as the images were fleeting. They came faster and faster, and Jancel had to hold her breath lest she scream from the sheer speed of it all.

And suddenly the vision ended, and she breathe again. She blinked in shock, and her companions did the same. Was it Imra she had seen, come back from the dead? No, that was impossible. She quickly pushed that thought out of her head.

Still with her back to them, Chief Adept Erqol's voice sounded in her head. "Take a moment to collect yourselves, then act calm as we exit. I do not want to cause a panic." As the five girls nodded, she continued. "Cadets Ardeen, Capule and Valya, I shared this with you for another reason. As Titanet cadets, you must help me send this message out to Legion World as soon as we can. The other Titanians here will lend their psionic energies to us, but only we can see the true message. I have no time to share this with our other adepts, so I need you to assist me in this. Do you understand?"

"Of course!" Jancel could see worry on Zeela's and Portela's faces as they agreed, but she only felt excitement. At last! She would get to do something useful.

"Good. Now be ready." Seconds later, the lift tube stopped and the six strode out into the central operations of the Titanet. Striding purposely, the Chief Adept took command of the room and sat in the central chair. "Urgent message for Legion World from Chief Adept Erqol. Omega encryption," she said, as calmly as if she were ordering tea. The Titanet hummed, and Jancel hurriedly crammed the mental images into a small sphere in her mind. This would make it easier to feed the bullet to the receiver. As the Titanet hummed with the energies of thousands of telepaths, the four telepaths concentrated with all their might.

But no return signal came from Legion World.

"Have you tried all possible receivers?" Chief Adept asked, with a touch of urgency. "What of conventional communications?"

"Yes," came the puzzled reply. "This is odd. Legion World has the second highest concentration of telepaths in the Sol System, and possibly the best communications technology this side of Colu."

There was silence, as everyone seemed stunned. Jancel's heart caught in her throat. "Could somebody or something be blocking our message?" she asked the Chief Adept directly.

"Perhaps," the Chief Adept replied distractedly. "I need to call Micah Aven, if he hasn't already departed for Legion World..." She mused for a second, then snapped to attention with all the poise of a diving lunar swan. "Let us try Earth then. We must get this message through."

Jancel watched silently as the flurry of activity escalated around her. Confusion grew as Earth could not be reached either. Then Luna, then Mars. Confusion turned to fear as the Chief Adept gave the order to search for the closest planetary body that could receive any kind of transmission, whether telepathic or technological.

Jancel saw her companions looking hopeless, and she felt the same way too. Then she remembered - Winema Wazzo had hosted the Legionnaire families' reunion on RJ Brande's private planetoid. If she could locate that... it would be a lot faster than going through Earth.

She tapped into the Titanet's burning beacon of telepathic energy and began to send feelers out. She had to find that planetoid. She had to.

Re: Post ZH Legion: Vol 3 Homecoming (Oct 27, 2014)
Invisible Brainiac #826226 10/27/14 04:14 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Super interesting! Am very much looking forward to seeing what kind of person Imra's sister develops into!

Invisible Brainiac #826227 10/27/14 04:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks raz, glad you like it! Were you able to check out the end of Volume 2 as well? smile

Invisible Brainiac #826229 10/27/14 04:20 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Yep, sorry I thought I replied already! I don't have proper net access at home so I tend to do heaps of net stuff at once when I get a chance.....I really liked how it all ended up! Good to see everyone back together again smile

Invisible Brainiac #826230 10/27/14 05:14 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
No worries, I'm glad you were able to read the posts in order smile Thanks a bunch for the comments and for following my story! Well, not everyone is together yet but it won't be that much longer smile

Invisible Brainiac #826483 10/29/14 07:27 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Hmmm here comes the Big Bad!

Can't wait and great to see Jancel again. I liked her confidence that she could help.

I'd love to see all of those images that flashed before the Adepts, it all sounds like the team isn't going to be found easily. Can't wait for more!

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Invisible Brainiac #826485 10/29/14 07:36 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks Omni, and you guessed correctly that the Big Bad is involved in jamming communications from Titan. Well done!

glad you liked Jancel! I'm surprised at how much I enjoy writing her. She's a lot like Lori Morning, headstrong and a tad bratty and entitled but ultimately not a bad person. And of course Jancel has matured a bit after talking to Mekt.

I might reveal some more of the images in the vision, but in a very cryptic way smile don't want to give any surprises away!

Impulse
Invisible Brainiac #826622 10/31/14 03:12 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

VOLUME 3: HOMECOMING

IMPULSE Impulse

"Are you all comfortable?" Though technology would ensure that Dyrk would feel nothing during the procedure, Kent still wanted to make sure his patient was receiving the best care possible. But the way the blonde was beaming back at him, he doubted that even a barrel of silverale would have made that smile any wider!

"Perfectly, Doctor," Dyrk Magz smiled as he settled back in his bed. "And even if I weren't, all that matters to me now is that you have given me hope."

The White Witch and Magnetic Kid smiled, though Kent caught the glances they shot at each other. Kent understood; the procedure they would perform had been studied and tested extensively on inanimate objects and on cloned meats, but not on sentients. But Dyrk had listened carefully as Kent had explained the risks, and he had signed all the waivers which Dr. Gym'll had insisted on. Mysa had also consulted with several of the most experienced sorcerers in the galaxy, and Kent was confident in his teammate's abilities.

Despite is own optimism though, he wanted to manage Dyrk's expectations. That was the proper thing to do; something he had learned from many patients before. Not always a pleasant lesson, but a necessary one. "Dyrk, I know you have been trying to get your magnetokinesis back for a long time but I have to reiterate that there are risks, however small. And, though the risks of any harm coming to you are quite small, we have no guarantee that the procedure will work."

Dyrk nodded his head, but to Kent's amusement the smile still remained. "I know, Doctor. But I had almost given up hope of ever manipulating metal; you have no idea how many doctors I consulted! I just know that if we fail this time, eventually you will figure something out." He turned and smiled at Mysa, who smiled back warmly despite her nervousness. "I don't know why I didn't think of consulting you sooner, Lady Mysa. I almost wish I had!"

"It would not have made much of a difference," Mysa said soothingly. "I did not regain mastery of my own talents until several months after we imprisoned Mordru. And it was only a few months after that when I met the Legion again and began researching your situation."

"In any case, we're here now," Pol chimed in. The former magnoball champion was always a go-getter, but Kent thought his alacrity stemmed just as much from nerves as from excitement. "I'm ready if you are."

"Definitely," Dyrk Magz beamed as he settled in. "I'll be smiling the whole time."

"I don't doubt it," Kent laughed as he switched on the anesthesia. In seconds, Dyrk was sleeping comfortably. As he turned to face his team, Kent's heart felt like it would burst. He had prepared so well for this day, buy he couldn't help but worry just a little bit. After all, this procedure meant the future to Dyrk, and Kent himself could not afford any mistakes. Though he would likely remain with the Legion if any harm happened to Dyrk, he could lose his medical license. That was not something he ever planned to give up. Healing was his life, and if had to choose between being a doctor and being a Legionnaire...

He looked into his Mysa's eyes, and Pol's, and those of the rest of his team. Then he breathed deeply to calm himself. "Okay, Mysa, if you will, please cast your spell of similarity and center it on Pol. Pol, please stand still. You should not feel anything..."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/24/15 01:27 AM.
Page 10 of 49 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,298
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star