Roll Call
0 members (), 206 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 12:20 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 11:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:44 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Kappa Kid's Dungeon of Schlock
Kappa Kid #921695 02/07/17 09:12 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Thanks, Kappa. I will definitely search for that one.

And I think you might enjoy this thread:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=826282&page=1

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Kappa Kid #922190 02/18/17 05:27 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
God damn Mario Bava, you magnificent madman. You may not have had me over the moon with Black Sunday, but Danger: Diabolik is already one my all time favorite movies and it's only been a few hours since I watched it! This is a wonderful blend of unabashed camp, groovy 60's psychedelia, and a sensuality that's damn near tangible. John Phllip Law's sharp blue eyes could cut diamonds with every glance he throws at the camera and he's probably the most charismatic villain as hero I've seen on the silver screen. His chemistry with Marisa Mell crackles in every scene they have together, even in scenes with little to no dialogue. That's some damn good directing, Mr. Bava. Greatest comic book movie of all time? I think so. Eat your heart out, Nolan.

Rating: 5/5

[Linked Image]

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Kappa Kid #922220 02/18/17 11:41 AM
I echo every word, Kappa. Glad, very glad, that you enjoyed Diabolik so much. I'll post more thoughts about it another time soon.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Kappa Kid #922225 02/18/17 12:28 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
Glad to hear that! cheers

Kappa Kid #922828 03/01/17 03:40 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
It ain't quite Fast Times at Ridgemont High and while this film came out the same year as Amy Heckerling's comedy classic, The Last American Virgin is a criminally overlooked gem in the realm of 80s teen sex comedies. Director Boaz Davidson imbues the film with a sense of honesty and reality that a lot of the more irreverent films of the era tended to lack.

Gary and Rick's relationship is one I'm sure most people have seen play out in their lives, be it through themselves or a close friend. There's a sense of tragedy by the end of the film that really caught me off guard. It's a rejection of the "everything works out" resolution typical of the likes of John Hughes' scripts and offers a more grounded exploration of adolescent relationships.

I love the aesthetic of the film, a glorious transposition of American Graffiti-esque Americana to (then) present day Los Angeles. It never comes across as kitschy and really underscores the similarity in culture between those two decades. Add in the fact that the film has a kicking soundtrack featuring Devo and REO Speedwagon and you've got yourself a winning aesthetic.

[Linked Image]

Grade: 4.5/5 stars

Kappa Kid #956678 08/21/18 05:02 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
The Last American Virgin was made by the guys who went on to own the Cannon Group. The guys who offered Stallone silly money for a film about arm wrestling. The guys who wanted "that Stone" woman meaning Kathleen Turner from Romancing the Stone, but got Sharon Stone who the production crew hated so much, they peed in a giant cauldron prop she had to be in. The guys who, when things got bad at the end, gave us a hollowed out Superman film (that I admit not to have seen). But they tried to expand their range with the likes of Kurosawa, Cassavetes and Mailer.

Most importantly, they gave Tobe Hooper a three film deal and one of those was Lifeforce!

I'm sure the plot of Last American Virgin was taken from a film they had already made in Israel, when they rose to prominence there. That could explain why it's a bit different to the US films in the same theme. As Kappa says, that ending strikes out on its own path of teenage heartbreak.

It stars, and the reason I probably ever saw it, Diane Franklin. She was in Bill & Ted's excellent adventure and the quite dreadful Better of Dead. But, before Last American Virgin, she co-starred in the Second Amityville film, one that focused on the breakdown of the relationships in the house, with supernatural overtones.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Kappa Kid #956736 08/22/18 03:47 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Kappa Kid

Gary and Rick's relationship is one I'm sure most people have seen play out in their lives, be it through themselves or a close friend. There's a sense of tragedy by the end of the film that really caught me off guard. It's a rejection of the "everything works out" resolution typical of the likes of John Hughes' scripts and offers a more grounded exploration of adolescent relationships.

The story is depressingly realistic. I appreciate it for its artistic quality and realism, but I prefer watching movies to escape FROM reality smile

Kappa Kid #956758 08/22/18 04:24 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Good evening Boils and Ghouls!

The creaking noise of a coffin lid can only mean that the Vault of Schlock has been opened. So while one of you goes to get a bucket for the remains, lets take a peek and see what was down there. Comments welcome, but do shout to be heard over the screams of the dying...and the already dead.

Night of the Creeps
Puppet Master
Toxic Avenger
Braindead
The Beyond
Fright Night
The House by the Cemetery
Swamp Thing
Pumpkinhead
NightBreed
The Fly
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
Big Trouble in Little China
Westworld
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Scanners
Highlander
Flash Gordon
Return of the Living Dead
Galaxyquest
Evil Dead (2013)
Rocky IV
A Nightmare on Elm Street II
The Howling
Planet of the Vampires
Inferno
Zombie
Tenebre
Escape from LA
Psycho II
Suspiria
Streets of Fire
New York Ripper
The Howling III: The Marsupials
All the Colours of the Dark
Horror Express
Black Sunday
Danger: Diabolik
The Brute and the Beast
The Last American Virgin

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Kappa Kid #956842 08/22/18 07:09 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
Wow, so many films. Where has the time gone?! shocked

Kappa Kid #956843 08/22/18 07:12 PM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Wow, so many films. Where has the time gone?! shocked

TimeTrapper

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Kappa Kid #956851 08/22/18 10:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm a huge B-Z grade horror/sci-fi/mystery/fantasy movie fan and have strong opinions about them too. I try to watch at least one every two weeks. If anyone's looking for an easy place to find them, the Amazon Prime channel has SO many.

I've seen a bunch of the films on thoth lad's list and was wondering why I'd never commented in this thread. And then I went back and looked at the first post and saw that it was about Night of the Creeps, and I *small voice* haaaaated that movie, so I mustn't have wanted to bring everyone down with my first post.

But if everyone's willing to let that character defect slide, I'll pop in with my thoughts on some of the films already reviewed anyway:

Night of the Creeps: It's been years since I've seen it but the only thing I remember about it is my dislike for it. I just checked IMDB and I gave it 3/10 there so that jibes with my recollection. Although there must have been something about it I appreciated to give it at least a 3 (I am not skimpy with my 1s I assure you). I just re-watched the trailer and think what I must have liked about it was the overall "80s-ness" (I love a film that is very much of its era) and what I disliked about it was... everything else - the acting (especially Chris), the poor-man's zombies threat, Tom Atkins (I'm not a fan), etc. I think I remember the plot being all over the place too, and I do remember hating the ending now, but don't remember which one I got. (My IMDB score: 3/10)

Fright Night: I love this movie! I first saw it many, many years after it was released (I think around the time of the remake) and thought it was so much fun. It had so many great elements - a cool story, good acting (Chris Sarandon in particular), amazing special effects (this is legitimately one of the most horrifying vampire faces ever), effective humor, fab soundtrack, everything. The one thing that stood out to me above all others though was just how G.A.Y. this movie was! The homoerotic subtext was off the charts. I know Jerry's meant to be pining for Amy all movie but you can't tell me that his real attraction isn't to Charley. And that scene between him and Ed in the alley is almost like every cruising encounter I've ever had! (My IMDB score: 9/10)

The Fly: Another great movie! I don't have much to add other than it was a big leap forward for Cronenberg after his earlier films IMO (although I haven't seen Videodrome yet). (My IMDB score: unrated for some reason)

Big Trouble in Little China: This is a sentimental favorite from my childhood. I don't think I'd ever seen anything before like it when I first saw it - crazy monsters, secret societies, powerful wizards, hidden passages... and all just behind a normal city street! The humor is great, the action is great; it's just an all around fun adventure story. I think that a modern viewer might criticize it for leaning pretty heavily into Asian stereotypes but I think it's so over the top it sort of subverts them in a way. (My IMDB score: 8/10)

Creature from the Black Lagoon: This is one I haven't seen in a long time but I distinctly remember four things about it: 1) it takes forever to get going and then just sort of ends; 2) the native South American crewmen all only exist to die; 3) it is absolutely crying out for an updated remake; and 4) I kind of enjoyed it anyway. Oh, and I remember the underwater shots being excellent too. This film is pretty good and I have a soft spot for all of the Universal monsters but I think what strikes me most about this film is its potential. A good writer/director could make an excellent remake of this. Personally, I'd keep it in its period setting but lean more heavily into the horror and *spoiler* do a third act twist that killed off all of the main explorer/scientist characters and focus on a motley handful of the South American crewmen left (who had heretofore been background characters) outwitting and surviving the creature. (My IMDB score: unrated for some reason)

Flash Gordon: In my memory this was a fun, cheesy adventure film (with an excellent soundtrack) but I just checked IMDB and I only gave it 6/10 so there must have been some things I didn't like about it (I give 8s, 9s and 10s to even "bad" movies if I enjoyed them enough). Maybe I was just in a bad mood that day because I feel like it deserves at least a 7 for all of the over-the-top costumes and sets and acting (Brian Blessed!) and so on. One thing that I hold against this movie is that I first saw bits and pieces of it when I was a small child (like under 5) and I remember being forever scarred by the scene where some guy puts his hand into a tree stump and some creature inside stings him! Like, even to this day I'm wary about where I put my hands! (My IMDB score: 6/10)

Galaxy Quest: This is a pretty good movie but I am not the fan that nearly everyone else around me is (I remember even being forced to watch it with my family one Christmas). The concept is great and the actors are all fun (particularly Chris Rockwell) but I just remember it not being as funny as I wanted it to be. And the aliens annoyed the HELL out of me! God they were grating! I have found it hard to watch Enrico Colantoni in anything else ever since. (My IMDB score: unrated for some reason)

A Nightmare on Elm Street II: Another one I haven't seen in a long time but I think I remember this as being an OK, sort of middle-of-the-road horror film. I do remember appreciating it for how different it was to the other Elm Street movies though (I think I saw this one after a lot of the other ones). I think I must have been too young to appreciate any gay subtext in it though because I don't remember any of that. I'll have to give it a re-watch. (My IMDB score: unrated for some reason)

The Howling: The werewolf is probably my favorite monster in all of horrordom and this is obviously one of the best werewolf movies ever (although that is not saying much). I love the story and how it moves from the gritty, 'dangerous' city to the supposedly quiet, peaceful countryside only for us to realize that the true horror was in the countryside all along. The twists upon twists at the end are all great and the special effects are obviously first rate too. This is a fun and sometimes scary horror movie - my favorite kind. (My IMDB score: 7/10)

Inferno: This is probably the film I saw most recently on this list (like within the last year), but I'm having trouble remembering much about it! haha I gave it a good IMDB score though so there must have been a lot in it I enjoyed. It's an early Argento so I automatically know it must have had a fantastically colorful visual design, an intrusive and over-the-top but fun score, and horrific but excellent suspense and death sequences. OK, I just watched the trailer and all of that was as I remembered (the Central Park murder was one I had unjustly forgotten because it was a great one). I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with stories that shift the POV character as the previous one gets killed off. On the one hand, it's usually a great and unexpected twist, on the other hand, sometimes I liked that character dammit! haha I think this one suffers slightly for that reason. The final guy was nowhere near as interesting or sympathetic as the previous two girls IMO. (My IMDB score: 8/10)

Suspiria: If I ever divorce my husband the main reason will be because he saw 10 minutes of this film and declared it the worst movie he had ever seen! haha Needless to say, I disagree! I love it for a lot of the same reasons I love Inferno - cinematography, sets, costumes, music, story, suspense, death scenes, etc. This is the sort of movie that needs to be sort of 'experienced' rather than 'watched' and I wish more movies were like that sometimes. (I know some people consider it heresy but I am actually *really* looking forward to the remake too. I love the director and cast and it looks fantastically creepy!) (My IMDB score: 8/10)

Black Sunday: Another fave! I think this might have been the first or second Bava I ever saw. I think Ann and I discussed our love for him in another thread here many years ago but I can't seem to find it. I absolutely *love* the atmosphere in this one! Like, I could watch 10 more movies on those spooky sets with those fake tree branches scratching against the windows while that smoke machine swallows everyone in fake fog! I'm a real sucker for these sort of period piece horror films. Any movie that has characters riding in a horse drawn carriage through a moonlit forest has me at hello! I think I recall the plot for this one being fairly simple but Barbara Steele makes up for it with her scenery-chewing theatrical presence. What an icon! (My IMDB score: unrated for some reason)

So that's all the ones I've seen from the above list. I've definitely been meaning to check out some of the others though. Hopefully a few are on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Kappa Kid #956868 08/23/18 05:05 AM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Thanks for the fresh reviews, Blacula!

(And I don't hold your dislike of "Night of the Creeps" against you. Put it this way -- I bought a cheap used copy of the DVD years ago, and it's still sitting around unwatched, even though I have good memories of the film. So maybe I don't like it quite as much as I thought.) hug

On Fright Night -- yes, indeed, I agree those are some of the very best special effects ever seen in a horror movie. Digital schmigital! Bah, humbug, kids these days...grumble, grumble. wink

On Inferno -- I think I described the color scheme as "crystalline" in my review. It's certainly a great-looking film, and Keith Emerson's score is adequately rousing (if blatantly derivative of Jerry Goldsmith's masterful score for "The Omen.") My two big problems with it are that the male lead is very unappealing (his 1970s-going-on-1980s look doesn't help) and the ending is a cop-out, the latter something very rare in even the weaker Argento movies.

On Suspiria -- I agree, it is the kind of movie where the sheer ingenuity and intensity of the visual aesthetic transcends all of its flaws in its lack of a solid plot structure. I still consider it Argento's masterpiece, and probably always will.

On Black Sunday and Mario Bava overall -- I vaguely, but fondly, recall our discussion of Bava. As it happens, though, the new So What Are You Watching Thread has some recent thoughts of mine on Bava. I'll go bump them right now.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Kappa Kid #956872 08/23/18 05:10 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for that packed post with all your reviews Blacula!

I think of Videodrome more with Naked Lunch than of the Fly. It's got that kind of subtext to it. The guy who put his hand into the log in Flash Gordon was Peter Duncan. He was one of the presenters in the hugely popular Kid's show Blue Peter over here. The Peter in the title of the show is no relation. smile It's was quite a thig at the time. Peter Purves, of Doctor Who fame, was another Blue Peter presenter. That all round, genre mixing works well for Big Trouble in a way that never really paid off for Buckaroo Banzai.

Kappa Kid #957050 08/23/18 08:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
AH: I agree with you re: Inferno. The “hero” was a bit of a dud and I think I remember being let down by the ending too. I wish I could find our Bava discussion by the way but the Search function only goes back 10 years. It can’t have been that long ago can it?!

TL: Blue Peter seems like such a seminal show for UK kids. I spent a number of years there, it’s weird I never saw an episode.

P.S. I’ve discovered that Amazon Prime has both Horror Express and The New York Ripper on it so I’ll be back with my thoughts on both of them soon.

Kappa Kid #957059 08/24/18 03:17 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I recall Horror Express being made on the back of another movie that had the train and also starred Tele Savalas (Look it up Lad tells me it was Pancho Villa). So, Horror Express got the budget to stretch a bit more as a result.

Some Bava banter back and forth between you guys here:-

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=908915

Kappa Kid #957099 08/24/18 10:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Thanks TL. I saw that discussion but am sure our first discussion about Bava was longer ago than 2016. I remember discussing other of his movies too. Or maybe I’m wrong? How soon is ‘too soon’ for early onset dementia?

Blacula #957109 08/24/18 10:51 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Blacula
How soon is 'too soon' for early onset dementia?

I forget smile

There's teensy mention of such things here, also showing you can tweak the search engine to show more than 10 years ago.

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=579895

Kappa Kid #957203 08/25/18 08:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ I think it was even older than that too but I am impressed with your sleuthing skills TL. Move over Batman, we've found the new (Legion) World's Greatest Detective.

Kappa Kid #957204 08/25/18 08:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
P.S. Preview of my 'The New York Ripper' review to come:

I watched the first 5 minutes last night before getting interrupted by a long phone call and Holy Moley! can I not wait to watch the rest. The 70s New York setting was on full display which I loved (I love looking at all the background buildings and fashions in period on location filming) but more than that, the acting/dubbing was some of the hilariously worst I've seen in a long time! Like, the very first scene has a man out supposedly enjoying a walk with his dog, but it's like he and his voice-over actor have never interacted with a dog before in their lives. They look and sound SO insanely unnatural! And then in the very next scene some woman has the most ludicrous bike 'accident' ever filmed. If this film continues at this rate I'm in for a treat.

Blacula #957231 08/26/18 08:02 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Blacula
^ I think it was even older than that too but I am impressed with your sleuthing skills TL. Move over Batman, we've found the new (Legion) World's Greatest Detective.

Take that Imaginary Batman form World's Finest who got to join the Legion! Fah! Legion! Not a patch on Legion World! smile

I ran searches on gialla, bava, argento and Italian. "Italian" was a mistake, but after 100 threads of how hot Italian men apparently are, I found the film ones again. smile

Kappa Kid #957289 08/26/18 11:02 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Apologies for not being completely on topic, but I was just beginning my reread of this issue. What do you all think about this horror-movie-homage cover to LSH v4 92 by Alan Davis, featuring a gigantic Gates cradling an unconscious Triad?

Kappa Kid #957304 08/26/18 12:47 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
I actually liked that story arc!

Invisible Brainiac #957305 08/26/18 12:49 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Apologies for not being completely on topic...

I'm not even going to risk shorting out the Mr Pot to the foyer tannoy system with than one smile

What do you all think about this horror-movie-homage

It's a light hearted mash up of drive in genres of the 50's, although it doesn't really bring out much in the way of horror. Attack of the 50' Gates meets the fleeing mobs of any number of movies like Godzilla/ X The Unknown/ Beast from 2000 fathoms (no burning buildings though) meets the monster carrying the damsel (in this case one handed like Colossus of New York rather than the standard two hand carry in the likes of Fire Maidens from Outer Space). The size of additional figures varies across posters, and is quite often in inset panels. The three figures on the bottom right here are about the size of Cult of the Cobra . The little UFO in the top right is about the size of a planet in a War of the Worlds poster.

Kappa Kid #957307 08/26/18 01:06 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I actually liked that story arc!

I've only got bits and pieces of it I think. I did pick up several issues on the back of the Davis cover art around this time.

thoth lad #957309 08/26/18 01:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Apologies for not being completely on topic...

I'm not even going to risk shorting out the Mr Pot to the foyer tannoy system with than one smile

You better not, as scant hours earlier you said you wouldn't be acting like Mr. Pot wink

Us knowing that its Gates makes it less scary, but Lu in Gates' grasp is a nice touch IMO.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,289
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ricardo
Ricardo
Brasil
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star