Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 03/27/24 07:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Convergence: Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #1
#848810 04/21/15 12:49 AM
A
Active
OP Offline
Active
A
AVClub has a preview I can't conveniently link to, if you're interested.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/conv...uperboy-and-the-legion-of-super-heroes-1
CONVERGENCE: SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1
U.S. Price: $3.99
On Sale 4/22

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS!! While Brainiac 5 struggles to break through the dome, Superboy tries to keep the Legion of Super-Heroes’ spirits up – until the Atomic Knights ride into town to cause mass destruction!

Re: Convergence: Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #1
Dave Hackett #848812 04/21/15 02:42 AM
Active
Active
And this is the worst art in all the covengergence titles.
Someone inside DC hates The Legion!

From UK with glamour.
Dave Hackett #848815 04/21/15 08:04 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

Dave Hackett #848870 04/21/15 06:23 PM
Active
Active
The art stinks! I think I'll pass on this one.

Awkward Pause Boy #848893 04/22/15 07:09 AM
Active
Active
Boy am I fickle. I said I'd pass on Convergence because of the art, and I ended up buying the digital download anyway. That's what you call being a die-hard Legion fan I guess.

Well, the art still stinks. The story...well it's a beginning. I have a hard time believing it'll all get concluded in just one more issue. This issue was just set up. Next issue will contain the whole plot and climax. Can the writers really tell a good story in just one issue? Doubtful, especially since it took 6 issues to tell the recent Infinitus Saga. I'll probably buy the digital copy of next issue as well, and then decide if this two issue arc is worthy of purchasing the print edition for my Legion collection.

Continuity: Element Lad is mentioned as being Legion Leader, so we sort of know where this would fit in continuity. Interesting to note that Lightning Lass and Timber Wolf haven't met up yet since she rejoined the Legion. I'll have to reread the back issues from that era to see where this storyline might fit.

Awkward Pause Boy #848901 04/22/15 09:22 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Definitely not a fan of the art. The writing was mediocre at best. Nothing bugs me more than the whole "Let's reference as many classic storylines/issues as we can in lieu of actually getting the characterizations/feel right". I mean... Superboy having to be reminded by Ayla not to be self-centered? How bizarre.

Anyway, not sure how much sense the "Wildfire isn't here because he is his powers" thing, but it's pretty obviously a setup for him to return and save the day next issue, so whatevs. Also, interesting that Brainiac Five still apparently possesses his "super-intelligence" even under the dome.

Awkward Pause Boy #848903 04/22/15 09:48 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Man, that art is .... not to my liking.

And how bad is the coloring not only on Wildfire's suit but wow - they got it wrong for Ferro.... Brainiac5

Awkward Pause Boy #848911 04/22/15 11:19 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
They are playing fast and loose with the interpretation of "no Powers" all over the place. Gim get's stuck at 12 feet, while Swamp Thing slowly deteriorates. Metamorpho turns human again but Drake doesn't. As I pointed out in the main Convergence thread, all of these issue #1's are variations on the same plot. While it may be interesting to see how these are handled, it's not $4.00 level of interesting.

Awkward Pause Boy #848928 04/22/15 02:16 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
I thought the art was bad and the writing was utterly mediocre.

My one big complaint is that they got Shadow Lass' hair and costume wrong. She had already grown out her hair and gotten the Lightle costume by the time Sensor Girl, Tellus, Quislet, and Magnetic Kid had joined (no jokes about "Maybe she cut it again after they were imprisoned", please.)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #848930 04/22/15 02:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
I thought the art was bad and the writing was utterly mediocre.

My one big complaint is that they got Shadow Lass' hair and costume wrong. She had already grown out her hair and gotten the Lightle costume by the time Sensor Girl, Tellus, Quislet, and Magnetic Kid had joined (no jokes about "Maybe she cut it again after they were imprisoned", please.)

I assumed based on Ayla's recap page that this was immediately after the LSV stuff (though since Jo is there it would have to be immediately after the "Suneater 5" got back home). Other than the flashback page in the back do we see any of the new batch of Legionnaires?

It's all a bit of a continuity fudge anyway as Brinn never went on "walkabout" (just like over in Swamp Thing, Alec didn't learn to body jump until well after Matt was hospitalised, but that's obviously not the case in the Convergence issue).

Awkward Pause Boy #848931 04/22/15 02:45 PM
Fudges or not, I don't see why they would show the new recruits in the back of the comic unless they intended to make it clear that this takes place after Baxter #14 (where they joined) but right before Baxter #18 (the Crisis crossover with the Infinite Man). If they screwed up their intent, well, that's just par for the course with DC these days.

Awkward Pause Boy #848932 04/22/15 02:46 PM
Active
Active
The only "walkabout" that Brin might have taken, upon which Ayla's comment could be grounded, was Timber Wolf's trip in LSH vol. 3 #12-13 to Lythl to fulfill Karate Kid's will. I'd have to check those surrounding issues to see when Brin and Ayla ran into each other after her rejoining the Legion.

Awkward Pause Boy #848933 04/22/15 02:48 PM
Putting the details aside -- much as they annoy me and others -- it just seems to me that DC is treating the Legion like an unwanted stepchild.

Awkward Pause Boy #848936 04/22/15 02:56 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah, these continuity match-up things are always a mess, but I wonder if it would make sense to have it deviate form Superboy's visit in v3 #12?

Awkward Pause Boy #848939 04/22/15 03:07 PM
It would make more sense than what's one the printed page, that's for sure.

Fanfic Lady #848949 04/22/15 03:20 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Fudges or not, I don't see why they would show the new recruits in the back of the comic unless they intended to make it clear that this takes place after Baxter #14 (where they joined) but right before Baxter #18 (the Crisis crossover with the Infinite Man). If they screwed up their intent, well, that's just par for the course with DC these days.

If you go by that it also includes a scene from v3 Annual #2, which is several months past the end of Crisis.

Awkward Pause Boy #848952 04/22/15 03:22 PM
Exactly.

Awkward Pause Boy #848958 04/22/15 04:06 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
I don't mind the premise (mainly because I've not already read it in all the other Convergence titles) The Legion stuck in Metropolis without their powers.

Why it has to be for so long seems a pointless mystery. We don't really get a feel for the disintegration such an event would cause to a city.

It's just a premise for the cities to travel to the Alt+Beyonder. Because, although capturing cities form different universes and carting them off through space is fine, teleporting them there would be silly.

I agree that we don't even get a surface level look at nearly any of the characters. Those that are focused on, such as Ayla and Clark, don't seem anything like themselves. So it's a blessing that more of the team aren't focused on.

Thanks for probably wrecking that budding Ayla/Vi relationship DC! >mutter<

Brainiac's part was mixed. Everyone writes him as an obsessed, egocentric scientist now, so few points there. Even the part where he's trying to spare people the grief before he has hard facts falls flat, because he's keeping the information from his own teammates in the middle of a crisis.

Nothing really happens in the issue. Having been handed the steps to the issue, the writer adds little else to it. We get a quick set up, Brainiac getting a hint, and then they land on Alt+Battleworld. That's it.

I've been getting used to the art over on EGOs. But this is so much worse. Was it drawn ages ago? Was it a rush job? or both? It's not likely to win many supporters, I'm afraid. It's never a good thing when they *have* to wear the costumes so you can identify them.

It would seem that the whole thing is going to descend into an Arena type thing. I'm only getting the next Legion issue, and then I should be done with this. It was rubbish when Marvel did it, and this looks to be no better.

Rating - 2.75 (it would be less if I were to actually bring any Legion knowledge into things)

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Awkward Pause Boy #849004 04/23/15 04:40 AM
Active
Active
The whole premise of Convergence is that cities are taken just before their worlds were destroyed, so in Adventures of Superman, Supergirl should already be dead and the red sky thing shouls have happened. Superman shouldn't be in Gotham he should be at the beginning of time fighting the anti monitor etc.

For the Legion, this means that the new kids should be members and the Infinity Man and the other run ups to the end of Crisis have already happened.

If not then all the cities have to be returned and everyone forgets about their year under the dome, otherwise Crisis/Zero Hour/Infinite Crisis would not have happened as they did.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
Silver Age Lad #849087 04/24/15 07:15 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't think that's the case despite what the promotional copy has said. The Suicide Squad Metropolis and the Batman and the Outsiders Gotham both don't come from any discernible "End of the World" scenario for example, and Swamp Thing definitely comes from a timeframe before American Gothic/Crisis.

Awkward Pause Boy #849172 04/25/15 06:11 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Not a fan of the ambiguous continuity (although it seems to be after Karate Kid died and Polar Boy joined, but not include any of the newer stuff from the latest run, like Sun Boy's death or Boremonia Li).

Nor the art.

It's kind of a downer that this is the only Legion we've got right now.

I also picked up Convergence issues of Teen Titans, Justice League of America (Detroit!) and Batman and the Outsiders.

None of them where particularly good, although it was nice to see Kole and pre-evilcrazy Jericho again, mitigated somewhat by Donna pining for Terry Long, which made my soul shudder a bit, as I'd managed to forget he existed again, and the reminder was like that warm rush of bile that precedes a reappearance of lunch.

It occurred to me while reading that issue, that Jericho is perhaps the only mute hero I've seen. We've got peeps in wheelchairs (Professor X, Whiz Kid, the Chief, Oracle), peeps with missing or non-functional arms and / or legs (Cable, Forge, Arsenal, Silhouette, Karma), blind or deaf folk (Daredevil, Shroud, Blindfold, Destiny, Echo, Hawkeye (at least partially)), etc. but not a lot of mute folk.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Dave Hackett #849173 04/25/15 09:00 AM
Substitute
Substitute
MT these are no worlds we have ever seen before.

Some costumes are unfamiliar, some relationships are unfamiliar, and both Leigon and Teen Titans continuity seems distorted.

And it is interesting that Brainiac 5 is still pretending to have super-intelligence.

Show me the monkey!
Awkward Pause Boy #849184 04/25/15 10:05 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
It's getting so we have enough versions of the Legion claiming to be a continuation of the pre-Crisis team that we could have a whole series just of these different variants fighting it out!

Awkward Pause Boy #849186 04/25/15 10:38 AM
LOL

Good point, EDE.

Long haired Shadow Lass killing short haired Shadow Lass -- I could get behind that.

Seriously, though, Pre-Crisis was not the be-all-end-all of the Legion. Some of my favorite Pre-Boot stories -- Sensor Girl/Fatal Five, Universo Project, Shadow Lass questing to save Mon-El -- happened Post-Crisis.

Sue Pergirl #849197 04/25/15 02:27 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Sue Pergirl
And it is interesting that Brainiac 5 is still pretending to have super-intelligence.

Yeah, that was one of several annoying inconsistencies.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,269
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden