Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/18/24 02:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Convergence: Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #1
Set #849199 04/25/15 02:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Set
It occurred to me while reading that issue, that Jericho is perhaps the only mute hero I've seen. We've got peeps in wheelchairs (Professor X, Whiz Kid, the Chief, Oracle), peeps with missing or non-functional arms and / or legs (Cable, Forge, Arsenal, Silhouette, Karma), blind or deaf folk (Daredevil, Shroud, Blindfold, Destiny, Echo, Hawkeye (at least partially)), etc. but not a lot of mute folk.

The Golden-Age Daredevil was mute.

Awkward Pause Boy #849206 04/25/15 06:49 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
There's that one comic that has that chick Saturn Girl who was mute in one version of it... wink

Eryk Davis Ester #849208 04/25/15 07:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
There's that one comic that has that chick Saturn Girl who was mute in one version of it... wink

That reference is too obscure. smile

Eryk Davis Ester #849212 04/25/15 08:35 PM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K

Sounds dull. I bet they don't even have enough story for 49 issues.

KryptonKid #849232 04/26/15 08:13 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Waid and Kitson's Legion was a brilliant re-imaging of what had become a minor DC property. Then Shooter came in, revived a bunch of tired boring fifty-year-old tropes. Then just kinda lost interst. Theend.

I know there are many, many who disagree with me.

Show me the monkey!
Sue Pergirl #849233 04/26/15 09:35 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Sue Pergirl
Waid and Kitson's Legion was a brilliant re-imaging of what had become a minor DC property. Then Shooter came in, revived a bunch of tired boring fifty-year-old tropes. Then just kinda lost interst. Theend.

I know there are many, many who disagree with me.

Even though I disagree with you, we here at Legion World always welcome opinions on the Legion which go against the popular consensus. I myself, for example, think that Keith Giffen is the Anti-Christ, and that even his early Legion work is tainted by evil.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Awkward Pause Boy #849234 04/26/15 09:52 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Waid and Kitson had an interesting idea on paper, but the execution was sorely lacking. I'm not a huge fan of the Legion being at odds with the UP/society and prefer that they're viewed as a shining example of heroism and selflesness.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Fanfic Lady #849254 04/26/15 11:50 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I didn't last long with the Waid/ Kitson run, but it read better when I got to read a number of issue together later on.

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
I myself, for example, think that Keith Giffen is the Anti-Christ, and that even his early Legion work is tainted by evil.

That was a message from the Val Armorr benevolent society. wink

Huge welcomes to the forums Sue Pergirl!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #849259 04/26/15 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by thoth lad
I myself, for example, think that Keith Giffen is the Anti-Christ, and that even his early Legion work is tainted by evil.

That was a message from the Val Armorr benevolent society. wink

LOL lol And also from the Keep Most of the Female Legionnaires' Hair Long Society.

Originally Posted by thoth lad
Huge welcomes to the forums Sue Pergirl!

Likewise. Sorry I forgot to welcome you before, Sue. We have a thread in the MMB forum where you can tell us more about yourself.

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=174771#Post174771

And we also have a thread where you can tell us about your roadmap as a Legion fan.

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=59763#Post59763

Fanfic Lady #849262 04/26/15 02:35 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
LOL lol And also from the Keep Most of the Female Legionnaires' Hair Long Society.

Imra's hair was nicer when it was short. I sense a companion thread to Lash's Costume Face Off! smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Awkward Pause Boy #849264 04/26/15 02:56 PM
Imra having short hair I have no problem with. And I think Ayla should always have short hair. The others, no.

Awkward Pause Boy #849266 04/26/15 03:11 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I agree on Ayla too. Lu too actually... oh and Vi... gosh there were a few weren't there?

Awkward Pause Boy #849267 04/26/15 03:20 PM
Lu? Don't get me started on her. The last-minute haircut before going off to fight the Time Trapper is one of the many reasons I loathe the Preboot Lu.

Awkward Pause Boy #849269 04/26/15 03:22 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
It's not well known, but the reason the Time Trapper wears a hood is to hide a really bad hairdo. Lu was either showing the Trapper new styles or having a similarly bad hair cut depending on how you view Lu's hair smile

Awkward Pause Boy #850047 05/05/15 06:41 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I'm truly surprised that I seem to be the first person mentioning this:

Did anyone else notice that the alternate cover of this issue featured Saturn Girl ... who did not appear in the story?!

*cough*Panel-Hog*cough*

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
Eryk Davis Ester #850048 05/05/15 06:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Definitely not a fan of the art. The writing was mediocre at best. Nothing bugs me more than the whole "Let's reference as many classic storylines/issues as we can in lieu of actually getting the characterizations/feel right". I mean... Superboy having to be reminded by Ayla not to be self-centered? How bizarre...

I think a lot of this has to do with the way Superboy/Superman was written in the Silver Age. There are entire websites dedicated to his behavior during this time-frame; and to put it lightly, he does seem like a jerk to many people. The Superboy/Superman of the Silver Age could solve just about any problem (and he often narrated that to the audience!), which makes it hard to relate to him. As good as some of the Silver Age stuff is (Brainiac, Kandor, etc) the tone of the writing in that era is just hard for some modern readers to understand.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Set #850537 05/11/15 09:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Set
It occurred to me while reading that issue, that Jericho is perhaps the only mute hero I've seen. We've got peeps in wheelchairs (Professor X, Whiz Kid, the Chief, Oracle), peeps with missing or non-functional arms and / or legs (Cable, Forge, Arsenal, Silhouette, Karma), blind or deaf folk (Daredevil, Shroud, Blindfold, Destiny, Echo, Hawkeye (at least partially)), etc. but not a lot of mute folk.

Snake-Eyes from G.I. Joe! smile

Awkward Pause Boy #850540 05/11/15 10:14 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
There's Zorro's sidekick, Bernardo.

Awkward Pause Boy #850542 05/11/15 10:18 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
When Giffen and Co. relaunched Ragman, he was mute when wearing the rags (then subsequent writers abandoned that).

Awkward Pause Boy #850560 05/11/15 12:26 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
Black Bolt might as well be mute.

Watching television is not an activity.
Awkward Pause Boy #850564 05/11/15 12:41 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Most of the human cast of Marvel's planet of the apes?

Good spot by BRM.

Kappa Kid #850798 05/13/15 08:25 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally Posted by Nostalgia Lad
Waid and Kitson had an interesting idea on paper, but the execution was sorely lacking. I'm not a huge fan of the Legion being at odds with the UP/society and prefer that they're viewed as a shining example of heroism and selflesness.

Yes, the Threeboot did have one or two interesting ideas and, honestly, the idea of Imra (and all of her race, presumably) being mute telepaths was one of the better ones.

Having said that, I didn't care for it overall and my my opinions are not based on Keith Giffen being the Anti-Christ, which he clearly is.

Georgehaze #850805 05/13/15 09:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Georgehaze
Originally Posted by Nostalgia Lad

Yes, the Threeboot did have one or two interesting ideas and, honestly, the idea of Imra (and all of her race, presumably) being mute telepaths was one of the better ones.

Having said that, I didn't care for it overall and my my opinions are not based on Keith Giffen being the Anti-Christ, which he clearly is.

"Eat it, Grandpa!" wasn't an issue for me because I think it was clearly laid out (initially) that both society AND the Legion were evolving towards something better.

The problem was the pacing. After a promising start and some great little character bits to establish stuff (The Triplicate Girl issue, the PG backup), the first arc drug on for TWELVE issues, with an ironically forgettable villain whose power was to be forgettable and a ham-fisted resolution. The Supergirl lifeline was clunky, and didn't work well, and then the Dominator war again didn't come off right (I suspect Waid was pretty frustrated by that point). The less said about Shooter the better,

Awkward Pause Boy #850806 05/13/15 09:23 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^Agreed completely.

The first issue was okay, then the next two or three issues were really good, and then it was like a complete collapse as far as pacing went.

I kind of suspect Waid was either annoyed by negative reactions from fans or by plans for Johns's retroboot, and just stopped putting the effort in.

Awkward Pause Boy #850809 05/13/15 09:34 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Ah, the Threeboot....

There were some neat ideas, that seemed logical (Titanians having atrophied vocal chord) and one or two I really loved (Dream Girl being able to use her powers while awake, 'Atom Girl' being something of a 'secret weapon' that some believed a myth or prank).

And then there was the odd stuff. In the first issue or two, mention is made of a Daxamite referendum about joining the UP or something, and later, we learn that the Trommites of this AU genocided the Daxamite race! (So who lives on Daxam now? Trommites who took over the planet after killing the Daxamite natives?)

Phantom Girl doesn't turn intangible, she time-shares between her native dimension and this one, which, logically, would make her power a *nightmare* to use. What if she needs to 'phase' but someone on Bgtzl is standing there, or there's a plant or wall or mountain or parked vehicle right there, so that she can't 'go to Bgtzl' from this exact point in space, since it's already occupied? What if the only thing in that specific Bgtzl space here is open ocean, or deep space, or a volcano, or the inside of a chemical processing plant or nuclear reactor or just the fast lane of a super-highway? What an ill-conceived notion...

I *liked* the idea that they were trying something new, to mix things up and freshen the mix, but some of those ideas were clearly not even *remotely* thought out.

And while artistic tastes are subjective, and while Barry Kitson was a fantastic dude, friendly and personable and totally appreciated, I kind of preferred the gorgeous Francis Manapul and Yildray Cinar art that followed.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,842
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Valor the M'Onell
Valor the M'Onell
Australia