Roll Call
0 members (), 166 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/28/24 01:12 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 12:20 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 11:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:44 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 49 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 48 49
Re: A Fatal Mistake
Invisible Brainiac #867271 08/30/15 01:17 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I'm also still juggling a few of the other teams - I'm really excited to write the rest though.

Re: Shop Class
Invisible Brainiac #867488 08/31/15 09:20 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

VOLUME 3: HOMECOMING

Back Home, on Earth...

Brainiac 5, Querl Dox of Colu; 12th level intelligence and force field powers
Cosmic Boy, Rokk Krinn of Braal; magnetokinesis
Dreamer, Nura Nal of Naltor; precognition
Magnetic Kid, Pol Krinn of Braal; magnetokinesis
Particon, Jennifer Sanchez of Earth; "hard light" energy casting and manipulation
Spark, Ayla Ranzz of Winath; electric manipulation
Ultra Boy, Jo Nah of Rimbor; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers and flight, but can only use one power at a time

Dyrk Magz of Braal (Honorary Legionnaire). Science Police officer and former Legionnaire, currently depowered. It remains to be seen if his recent operation will restore his powers.
Tenzil Kem of Bismoll (Honorary Legionnaire). Consume and digest all forms of matter. Skilled chef and Legion support staff member.

Besides the crackling of electrical currents, the buzzing, "pewing" sound of energy beams boring into metal, and the calm tones of Brainiac 5's instructions, the contingent left on Earth was fairly calm and quiet. They all understood that the stakes were high, and worked as quickly and silently as they could.

Spark spared a glance for Ultra Boy as they focused their powers on the sheets of metal Cosmic Boy and Magnetic Kid were holding aloft. Jo was silent and eerily focused, and the set of his jaw told Ayla that he was thinking about Apparition. Ayla knew he wasn't quite happy about being on different teams, but he was doing his best to hide it.

"Don't worry, Jo," Ayla whispered as she watched her bolts mix with Jo's ultra-vision and Particon's energy lances. "Tinya will be back before you know it."

Jo's jaw clenched, then relaxed. "And after that, we'll kick the bad guy's nass together." He flashed a dazzling smile, all the while keeping his eyes trained on the metal. "Thanks, Spark."

"Ultra Boy?" Dreamer called from across the area they were working in. "Over here, please."

The ultra-vision stopped as Jo took off. Spark turned towards Particon, who was also intently focused on her task. "I swear, his jawline could shred paper even without his invulnerability!"

"I suppose," Particon shrugged as she kept firing; her beams were welding a metal pole to another at the precise angle Brainiac 5 had asked her to. "I never really noticed."

"Not a fan of the permanent quarter-cycle shadow?" Spark laughed. "Or is it the earring? Come on, I won't tell him. And once we have our next all-girl slumber party, you'll end up telling us anyway."

Particon gave a small smile as she finished welding the poles together. "Well, I actually prefer redheads..."

Spark made a show of wrinkling her nose. "I hope you don't mean by brother Garth. I always say that he is exceptionally lucky to have gotten Imra to fall for him. Now Dirk Morgna is a fine specimen..."

"I appreciate the utility of banter in providing levity and increasing team bonding, Spark, but I need the both of you to focus on the task at hand," Brainiac 5 intoned even as he tapped on his Omnicom. "Even with Dreamer's assistance, it is taking the full attention of four of my twelve thought-tracks to build this machine."

"My apologies, Brainiac 5," Particon sounded genuinely sorry as she redoubled her efforts. Spark playfully stuck her tongue out. "Oh, no need to be so formal, Particon! Brainy's not REALLY mad. Nobody got insulted." She did, however, turn back fully towards the metal sheets in front of her. "Don't worry though, I'll be a good Legionnaire now."

"I trust you will." Brainiac 5 walked over to the other side of the clearing they were in, past the two Science Police officers who saluted him. He waved his hand in dismissal as he approached the control mechanism they were building. He would have preferred not to have anyone else here besides the Legionnaires and allies he had arrived with; given what they knew of their mysterious adversary they could not afford to blindly trust people. Yet these officers had been thoroughly vetted by Shvaughn Erin and Saturn Girl, so he could abide their presence. He just would not trust them with anything more than was necessary.

He stepped through the privacy screen erected around the workspace. "How is your progress? Did you have any difficulty understanding my instructions?"

"They are clear enough," Tenzil Kem laughed as he nibbled on an inertron bolt. He took it from his mouth, carefully wiped the tip, and fitted it into place. Smiling he turned to Querl. "Thanks for making time to dumb them down enough for us."

"It was necessary, and only took an additional ten minutes," Brainy shrugged. "Many Coluans get frustrated when translating instructions, but logically it takes less time and effort to translate correctly once, than to repeat incorrectly done work."

"And thanks for trusting us with this work, Brainiac," Dyrk Magz added. The blonde was flat on his back, tinkering with the underside of the control box. "It's good to have an active role in our task."

"Tenzil's Bismollian abilities make him ideal for shaping the smaller pieces of this machine," Brainy replied. "And your technical expertise was proven when we fought the Fatal Five together*."

"Yeah... it feels good sort of being back in action. I hope I get to return permanently, after all this."

"Your ability to feel magnetic fields has gotten stronger," Brainy replied. "And I have studied the files shared by Impulse. I cannot analyze the White Witch's part in your operation, but the theory is sound. I cannot promise that you will develop full magnetokinesis though, or that if you will, you will regain the strength and level of control you used to have."***

"That's a cheery thought, Brainy," Tenzil shook his head disapprovingly.

"I would prefer not to give false hope," Brainy replied drily.

"No, it's okay," Dyrk said as he returned to his work. "I'm just glad I can still contribute as it is."

"Of course," Brainy said as he continued inspecting their work. "Though you are currently depowered, you still have the heart and soul of a Legionnaire."

"Why, Brainy, you do have a heart underneath all that scowling," Tenzil teased as he bit into a metallic sheet. "Mmmm, cold titanium. Just the way I like it."

IB's notes:

1) LSH 121; Tharok had taken command of the Legion Outpost. Brainiac 5 distracted him while Dyrk Magz turned off the Outpost's power supply; Tharok had overlooked Dyrk because he had no powers.

2) Impulse, White Witch and Dr. Gym'll used a combination of magic and science to try and restore Dyrk's powers. It remains to be seen if it will work.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/31/15 05:56 PM.
Re: Guides and Pathways
Invisible Brainiac #867495 08/31/15 09:52 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

Back Home, in an asteroid belt near Legion World...

Shikari Lonestar of the Kwai; pathfinding, armored skin and claws allowing for flight and survival in space
Triad, Luornu Durgo of Cargg; triplication; skilled administrator

Chuck Taine of Earth (Honorary Legionnaire). Skilled architect and mechanic, pilot of the bouncing ship called the Bouncing Boy

Shikari's eyes flared with the tell-tale glow of her pathfinding sense as she stared at her targets. In the distance, Legion World's familiar lights glimmered in the blackness of space. But even if it had gone dark, her senses would have told her where it was. She stretched her senses farther and settled on the three asteroids now orbiting Legion World just so. She could feel the unnatural paths each took; they were clearly not moving in anything resembling a natural motion. Even without Smart Legion's analysis, she knew they were the three objects powering the forcefield that prevented them from nearing Legion World.

"I wish I could go with them," Shikari said as she watched twelve of her friends fly towards their targets.

"Yeah, beats waiting here and twiddling our thumbs," Purple Triplet muttered. "As if we can't hold our own!"

"Sister!" Orange Triplet chided. "Our role here is important. We're here to coordinate between the three away teams!"

"And you are here because we can't do this without your pathfinding sense, Kari," Neutral Triplet said soothingly as she monitored her assigned team's approach.

Shikari nodded, though she did not have to like it. Her teammates were going into danger, and her she sat hooked up to a machine that could translate her thoughts into arrows and directions for the three away teams to follow. These directions appeared on a screen for Triad to relay to each team. If only some of the other Kwai who had escaped were on Earth; alas, those who had managed to get off Legion World were stranded on far-off planets. Their adversary had somehow shut down the Threshold system, meaning they could not get to any in time.

"I'm sure they'll be fine, ladies," Jovial Legion called from his seat at the controls of the Bouncing Boy. "As for me, I'm just stoked that I get to be so close to the action!"

"You should have seen our battle on Apokolips," Purple Triplet laughed. Then her expression turned into horror as she checked her screen again. "Hey Cham, move three klicks to your right!"

"You really should pay more attention, Sister," Neutral Triplet shook her head. "Three klicks is a pretty wide margin of error."

"So sue me for not being as happy with boring tasks as you and bashful over here," Purple Triplet snarked.

"Sweet Trinity, you are so embarrassing. I'm sorry you have to see us arguing like this..." Orange Triplet fumed.

"Are you kidding?" Jovial Legion replied cheerfully. "It's you being you, and you have no idea how much I missed that."

"If it were anyone else I would roll my eyes," Purple Triplet laughed. "But from you, it's sweet."

Shikari drowned out their banter as she focused on isolating the three asteroids in her mind. It was a bit of a strain, charting three different paths at once. And she had to lead each team directly to the command centers of each asteroid. But she had already failed her team many times since they had began charting the pathways of the other universes. She would not fail them now.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/31/15 09:53 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #867531 08/31/15 02:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You really write Brainiac 5 well - maybe you're channeling him! Serious but caring and masking it with frustrated sarcasm. I like how you've made Shikari so serious when she's doing her job/using her powers.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Invisible Brainiac #867563 08/31/15 06:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thank you FC, so nice of you to say. Brainy is a fave and it's good to know he sounds authentic.

Shikari feels she has to redeem herself, hence the seriousness. On top of the high stakes of course.

Thanks again for the continued support.

(Post ZH Legion) Espionage
Invisible Brainiac #868236 09/05/15 01:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Back Home, Asteroid JM-L15 near Legion World...

Apparition, Tinya Wazzo of Bgztl; intangibility and disruption of mechanical devices
Karate Kid, Val Armorr of Omega Colony; skilled martial artist
Lume, of Silvan; energy being made of light
Spider-Girl, Sussa Paka of Luna; prehensile hair

Apparition peeked her head out of the rocky mountain face just enough to spot the installation they needed to infiltrate. She could make out a few guards - Caress and Stormfront. Nothing too terrible. She vanished back into the rock and emerged seconds later alongside her team.

"I don't see anything we have to worry about. Lume and I should be able to sneak in and pull this job easily."

"Whoa there, Apparition," Spider-Girl said lazily as she stretched her arms over her head. She was floating comfortably over the rock, sipping on some non-alcoholic Venturan iced tea flavored with spices from Winath. "Karate Kid and I are going along for the ride, too. We're part of this little away team, after all."

"But Spider-Girl, you don't have the stealth capabilities that Lume and I do..."

"Sure, both of you can sneak in easily. But what are you going to do once you get into the control center? You materialize out of the walls and someone might spot you. Lume solidifies its energy body to touch the controls, same thing." Apparition opened her mouth to protest, but Sussa cut her off. "Listen, I know technology; McCauley didn't keep me in his Workforce just for my looks and my living hair, you know. And I've trained extensively in infiltration and surveillance. While Shikari guides us to the control room, I can help us avoid tripping any alarms."

Apparition stood quietly, considering Sussa's words. She looked at Karate Kid, who nodded; "It's true, Spider-Girl had a knack for technology while we were in the Workforce." Then she looked at Lume, who spoke quietly but with conviction. "Spider-Girl has definitely proven herself. She was able to infiltrate one of our tesseract storehouses during her audition."

"You're right. Without someone like Sensor or Chameleon, we need to work together. And I apologize if it seemed like I slighted your powers and skills," Apparition said. She extended a hand to Spider-Girl, who took it and smiled. "Glad we're on the same page."

"Now that we're all in harmony, how do we proceed?" Karate Kid asked. "As neither Sussa nor I can conceal ourselves, we will have to be very careful."

Sussa laughed as she used her hair to reach into her belt pouch. "I've already run a diagnostic on their security systems using this gadget that Babbage and Gear whipped up. Their system uses the same tech as the ships we seized. I can guide you, Apparition and Lume, into disabling it. You just lead us to the entrance with the least number of guards, and we will blow this place wide open."

Apparition smiled as Karate Kid cracked his knuckles. "Sounds like a plan."

IB's notes:

Asteroid JM-L15 is a homage to long-time Legionnaires artist Jeff Moy, whose first issue was Legionnaires 15! Yes, it was before Zero Hour, but I'm a big Jeff Moy fan and I very much appreciate his work.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/05/15 01:59 AM.
Re: (Post ZH Legion) Espionage
Invisible Brainiac #868249 09/05/15 12:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Back Home, Asteroid RSTP-3680 near Legion World...

Chameleon, Reep Daggle of Durla; shapeshifting
Timber Wolf, Brin Londo of Zuun; enhanced speed, strength, durability, senses and regenerative powers
Umbra, Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII; controls a mystical darkfield

Insect Queen, Lonna Leing of Xanthu. (Uncanny Amazer and Legion ally). Ability to morph her abdomen into various insect forms, gaining the powers of the forms she takes.

"I really wish we didn't have to wait here." The frustration was evident in Insect Queen's voice as she flapped her wings. In the form of an Imskian Globeetle, she radiated just enough light to illuminate the faces of Timber Wolf and Umbra. Beyond that, the outside world was lost to Umbra's impenetrable darkfield.

"Hey, I don't like waiting either, but I know you understand the why as well as I do," Brin replied gruffly. "Cham's the only one of us who can disguise himself. He can sneak into that place, and when the time comes to tamper with the controls he can shapeshift into someone who should be there. He can do the job himself."

"Yes, but the waiting! We could be on one of the other teams, or helping out back on Earth, or anywhere except here!"

"We are here because no Legionnaire goes in alone," Umbra's voice was regal even though it was tinged in irritation. "Should Chameleon need our assistance, we will be ready to rush in. Now please, let me concentrate. As the only one who can see through my darkfield, I must keep watch."

"... I apologize," Insect Queen murmured. "I just don't like sitting idly by. I felt so helpless when Robotica ravaged Xanthu. I hate feeling this way again."

"I understand," Umbra said soothingly. "I dislike having others fight my battles as well. But this is the most practical course of action."

"Agreed." The trio fell silent as Umbra turned around, likely in the direction the installation was. She pulled her cape tight around her as she watched. "Be safe, Chameleon," she whispered.

Timber Wolf looked at Insect Queen, who seemed duly chastised. "Hey, no reason we have to get bored," he offered. "Want to play cards?"

Lonna laughed as Brin pulled a deck from his belt. "As long as we don't play for money, you're on. The Amazers' duty allowance is nowhere near as big as a Legionnaires'."

Inside the installation, Chameleon crawled through the vents in the form of a Bismollian Metal Worm. Dozens of legs, perfectly evolved to cling to metals, inched across the confines of the building's ventilation shaft. He wished he could change into a faster, winged form, or even just command his body to flow along, but he needed to make sure he kept hidden.

"Cham, you read me? After 2 klicks, take a left."

Chameleon morphed the organs needed to communicate. "Affirmative, Triad," Chameleon replied as he made his way down the shaft. It was tedious work, but it was work that needed doing. He thought back to the friends that they had left behind on Legion World. Soon, they would be safe again.

IB's notes:

Asteroid RSTP-3680 is a homage to Roger Stern and Tom Peyer, who were respectively credited as writers on Legionnaires 28 and LSH 80, the culmination of the first couple of years of the Reboot Legion and IMO some of the best Legion issues ever. Tom McCraw was also credited as co-writer on both these issues.

Re: (Post ZH Legion) Espionage
Invisible Brainiac #868273 09/05/15 09:31 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Back Home, Asteroid TMC-89 near Legion World...

Ferro, Andrew Nolan of 20th century Earth; previously could turn his body into durable iron, but now stuck in his iron form
Gear, I.Z.O.R. of Linsnar; bio-mechanical techno-morphing
Sensor, Jeka Wynzorr of Orando; sensory manipulation

Mentalla, Delya Castil of Titan. (Reserve Legionnaire and Cadet). Telepathic control of others' physical functions

Mentalla winced as the loud footfalls of the metallic Ferro and the techno-organic Gear echoed across the hallways. She said nothing even as they rang in her ears; to her, they might thunder, but she knew that with Sensor's illusion powers, they would remain hidden.

Ferro glanced at her. "Too noisy, Mentalla? I can always use my flight ring."

"Oh, thank you, Ferro. It IS a bit loud, but no need to trouble yourself..."

"No, it's actually a good idea," Sensor cut in. "Even though we're hidden, we want to ensure we don't leave any traces of our presence that can be detected after the fact. That's why we waited so long for someone to open the door wide enough for us to get in."

Mentalla blushed a little, and also smiled at being praised by one of the pre-vanishing Legionnaires. Ferro smiled back at her as he took into the air.

"Head to your right, Gear," Triad Neutral's voice called over the flight ring network. "Then go straight until you hit the third hallway on your left."

"Affirmative, Triad." Gear turned to his three teammates. "Hold on for a bit. Let me check the security systems." Mentalla watched in amazement as Gear's arm transformed into a multitude of appendages she had only ever seen in holos of the Legionnaires. The back of his head popped up and more tools came out. Gear placed his hand on the wall, as if feeling for something. "Ah, here we go." He quickly inserted what looked like a small drill in.

"Amazing, isn't it? I remember the first time I saw that..." Ferro whispered to Mentalla as Gear's eyes glowed in various colors. After a few seconds, he disengaged from the wall. "Done. The security systems will recognize us as authorized sentients now."

"Wonderful. I love it when our missions turn easy as roast," Sensor said.

"Will you be able to do that for the other teams?" Ferro asked as they continued on down the corridor.

Gear shook his head. "Sadly, no. I won't be able to affect the other installations until the other teams reach the control rooms and insert the devices we rigged. I do have every confidence that they can make it, though."

"They're all very capable. Even the new Legionnaires. And we have some great allies backing us up," Sensor added.

Mentalla nodded as she flew along behind them. Part of her was glad that their mission was turning out to be so easy. These Legionnaires were living up to their reputation.

And the more she wanted to be one of them.

IB's notes:

Asteroid TMC-89 is a homage to Tom McCraw, colorist for both LSH and Legionnaires and writer for LSH (his writing credits are for the early Reboot era). His first published work for DC Comics was in 1989.

Re: (Post ZH Legion) An Ounce of Preparation
Invisible Brainiac #868418 09/07/15 12:00 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Back Home, in orbit around Legion World...

Babbage, I-45ENG/Nth Series of Robotica; combat mechanoid
Blizzard, Brek Bannin of Tharr; cold projection
Gates, Ti'julk Mr'asz of Vyrga; opens teleportation disks
Impulse, Kent Shakespeare of Earth; enhanced speed, strength, durability and recuperative abilities, medical doctor
Invisible Kid, Lyle Norg of Earth; invisibility
Kinetix, Zoe Saugin of Aleph; advanced telekinesis and animation of objects
Live Wire, Garth Ranzz of Winath; electric manipulation. Formerly had Element Lad's transmutation abilities.
Microbe, Drura Sehpt of Somahtur; generate and control harmful and beneficial microorganisms
M'Onel, Lar Gand of Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers
Nightwind, Berta Skye Harris of Earth; wind and air manipulation
Saturn Girl, Imra Ardeen of Titan; telepathy
Violet, Salu Digby of Imsk; size manipulation of own body
White Witch, Mysa of Zarrox; sorcery
Wildfire, Drake Burroughs (energy gestalt of two beings). Anti-energy being
XS, Jenni Ognats of Aarok; super-speed, granddaughter of the Flash (Barry Allen)

Shvaughn Erin of Earth (Honorary Legionnaire). Science police captain and Legion Liaison Officer.

Nightwind gazed out of the cruiser window at the bright lights of Legion World. After she had earned her flight ring, she would often float above the artificial satellite and admire its functional beauty. It looks so serene now... but she could just imagine what must be going on inside. She shuddered; it was difficult to just sit here and wait for the other teams to complete their work; she had the largest Legion away team behind her, including many of the most powerful Legionnaires. And yet they needed to wait; a fact which she had impressed on Blizzard and Wildfire several times on the way here.

She was also trembling for another reason. Half of her team were pre-Vanishing Legionnaires, including two Founders and two more Legion leaders, Violet and Invisible Kid. Although they had followed her lead so far, she knew they would not hesitate to call her out for bad judgment. Politely, yes, but she still felt the pressure to live up to her designation as leader. And of course, everybody was tense.

"Credit for your thoughts?" Nightwind almost jumped as the two Founders joined here. "Oh... Saturn Girl, Live Wire. Just going through the plans we discussed. We're dealing with a hostage situation and we need to be very careful..."

"Please, no need to be so formal," Saturn Girl smiled. "Call us Garth and Imra. We're all teammates and friends here."

"And don't worry, we all get these jitters no matter how many missions we've been on," Garth added. "But we've gone over the plan and the priorities again and again. Just keep a calm head. We're all here to back you, and one another, up."

"Thanks, I really appreciate that," Berta smiled. "And call me Berta."

"We'll follow your lead, Berta," Imra returned the smile. Even with her reputation for strict self-control, she seemed so very warm. "And remember what I said about sending thoughts along the telepathic link - focus on your message. Sometimes emotions tend to trickle through."

Berta blushed slightly as she considered their knowing smiles. "Thanks. I'll do my best to live up to your confidence in me."

Impulse's heart jumped as he looked at Invisible Kid, who was poring silently through the two Omnicoms gathered before him. Lyle Norg was known chiefly as a spy, but Impulse recognized his brilliant scientific mind. Kent himself had gone through many of Lyle's papers, some of which had helped him and Dr. Gym'll in treating the denizens of Legion World. Though Lyle did not have a medical degree, he could definitely earn one on his own.

He cleared his throat self-consciously. "Invisible Kid?"

Lyle didn't even look up. "Yes, Impulse?"

"I, uh, just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to being on the same team as you are later. You've always been an inspiration. I'm a medical doctor myself, and healing is my main passion. But I joined the Legion because of Legionnaires like you, who showed you could contribute through more than just punching villains and stopping crime."

"Thanks." The tone was gruff; not dismissive, but Lyle was making it clear he was busy. Kent could feel his palms getting clammy; this wasn't quite how he imagined speaking with his idol. "Well, I'm sure you're preparing for later so I won't disturb you anymore..."

Kent turned to leave, heart pounding. "Wait, Kent." Kent turned around to see Lyle standing up. "I'm sorry, I'm just preoccupied. I'm sure you understand that we all have friends there, and I'm very eager to make sure they all get out safely. Here's something you can help me with." Lyle handed Kent an Omnicom. Kent's eyes bulged as he looked at the detailed schematics. "This..."

"Is a catalogue of all equipment on the Legion World bio labs. I'm guessing the bad guy will supplement these with his own tech, but knowing what we have now will still give us an advantage." Lyle's eyes hardened as his voice deepened. "We have to make sure that whatever experiments he's doing can be reversed. I will not have anyone permanently harmed by this."

Kent nodded. "I'll get back to you right away." As Lyle turned away, Kent dabbed at his brow. "I won't let these hostages down," he whispered to himself as he scurried away to get his own notes.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/10/15 02:53 AM.
(Post ZH Legion) An Ounce of Preparation
Invisible Brainiac #868746 09/10/15 01:48 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

XS spared a glance for M'Onel and Shvaughn, sitting together at the controls of the ship. Shvaughn was a fast learner and volunteered to pilot the ship while the Legionnaires waited for their signal to enter Legion World; she would also organize the Science Police officers trapped there once the need arose.

M'Onel was using his vision powers to monitor the planetoid they called home; the most he could see, though, were the comings and goings of ships and the occasional super-powered sentient. The shield surrounding Legion World not only kept the unauthorized out - much like the shield Robotica had erected around Earth during their invasion, even Gates could not teleport through. But this one was more advanced than anything the Roboticans could come up with, according to Babbage. It also obscured vision powers. All M'Onel could see beyond the shield was the facade. Still, he tried; Shvaughn promptly recorded and filed everything he saw. They made a good team.

Once upon a time, she would have despaired at the thought. Sometimes she blushed, thinking of the crushes she once had on Cosmic Boy and then on M'Onel. She had been attracted to their calm confidence and strength; now though, she realized that she was looking for someone to fill in the lack of confidence she herself felt. Cosmic Boy especially had always been so encouraging, and despite all his power M'Onel had treated her with a lot of respect.

Now though, she realized that she had been looking for a big brother figure, which those two had filled. Dyrk Magz, on the other hand... she smiled as she thought of her former teammate. Dyrk's gray eyes dazzled so whenever he smiled, which was nearly constant now that there was finally hope for his power's restoration. And she could tell that he liked her in a way that wasn't big brotherly, but more like an equal. She...

"Jenni, do you have a nano?"

She nearly jumped as Wildfire's "voice" sounded behind her. The technology which let him speak gave him a nice, deep bass, but there was still a touch of the mechanical in it. She turned around to see Wildfire, hands raised in concern. "Sorry Jenni, didn't mean to startle you."

"It's okay, Drake," she was careful to use the name he wanted to use. "What is it?"

"Can you help me check the thrusters on my back? I'm just doing a full check of my suit before we go into battle. You can never be too careful, especially now that my sprocking energy is finite," Drake laughed. Jenni quickly zipped around, giving the suit a once-over. "Looks all clear to me. I checked everything against the notes the doctors put together." She hesitated as she looked Wildfire up and down. "I'm sure when we get Legion World back, Brainy can figure something out with the technology the other Brainiacs gave."**

"I hope he does so soon," Drake laughed again. "It's a pain trying to mentally will all my expended energy back after every blast I fire!"

Jenni chuckled, despite herself. "It's part of the clean-up. Remember what Imra said that one time Garth complained?"

"There are no small jobs, only small people," the two said in unison, laughing heartily after. "You're pretty brave, Drake," Jenni smiled.

"I try to be," Drake confided. "It's hard, but I don't want everyone to worry more, after all the support everyone has already given. Especially not Kari." He trailed off as he stared at his gloves. "It's funny... I used to curse my condition, but now that I know I might use myself up soon, it's made me grateful that I got a second chance at life after Mordru..."***

Jenni gently took Drake's glove. "It will be okay, Drake. We're here for you." Then she gave him a hug and a squeeze. "It will be okay."

IB's notes:

1) Wildfire was kidnapped by a Qwardian who managed to tap into his energy and use it as a weapon. The strain depleted him so much that his energy has become finite, and one day he will just use himself up. (The Legion 34).

2) Wildfire's origin: he is the energy gestalt of the remains of two Legion allies who fought against Mordru: Atom'x and Blast-Off. After Mordru blasted them, their energies mingled and coalesced. (Legionnaires 49-50, 76).

3) The Robotican invasion of Earth happened in the Legion 10 to 14.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/11/15 12:42 AM.
(Post ZH Legion) An Ounce of Preparation
Invisible Brainiac #868747 09/10/15 02:27 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Gates nodded in approval as Microbe scrolled through her Omnicom, giving him updates on the medical missions they had started. "And we have expanded her reach to 60% of all UP member worlds," she added. "Early warning systems, supported by the Naltorian trainees at the Titanet, have helped us respond to newly identified outbreaks in a maximum of two days. Detection has also increased; our average diagnosis time is now only five days after the first disease report."

"We need to cut that time down," Gates shook his head. "It must be those sprocking politicans, so afraid to make decisions that it takes them more time to order lunch than to eat it!"

"We're working on that," Microbe smiled. "The UP is setting up protocols by which the Minister of Health, or equivalent, of any world can call us in without the need for higher approval."

"Excellent!" Gates squawked. "You are surpassing my expectations, Drura. And they were quite high to begin with, so this is not some backhanded compliment!" Drura positively beamed with pride at Gates' comment.

"I'm positively thrilled at all the good we're doing," Zoe cut in, "and you know how I feel about doing good. But shouldn't we be focused on preparing for our invasion of Legion World? I mean, this IS the mission we are on right now!"

"Bah! I can focus, I will be perfectly focused when we are in battle," Gates replied. "And we have rehearsed our parts back and forth, haven't we, Babbage?"

"Gates has memorized all the identified points which he has to teleport the team to," Babbage noted. "And he assures me that he can handle the timing and speed required for our mission's success."

"See? I am just being efficient," Gates teased. "Unlike most of you humanoids, wanting to do so many things at a time but accomplishing very little!"

Zoe stuck out her tongue. "Sometimes I regret encouraging you, you're almost as bad as Brainy!" She returned to face Violet, Mysa and Brek. "Thanks for helping Violet and I review the changes to Legion World's layout, you two."

"Our pleasure," Mysa rotated the magical model of Legion World she had created. "Thankfully, we have not made too many changes since your disappearance. I just pray that we are in time to ensure no hostages are harmed."

"M'Onel is making sure of that," Violet said as she studied the schematics. "He reports that some hostages are held in tubes, but appear to be otherwise unharmed. The vast majority are locked up and conscious, with what appear to be power inhibitors, but they are otherwise unrestrained."

"I'm glad they're our first priority!" Brek banged his fist on the table. "Imagine how terrified they must be. Those sprocking bullies!"

"I really admire your enthusiasm," Zoe smiled. "You remind me a lot of Leviathan. He was always so outraged whenever he saw an injustice. He did lose his temper though," she added, laughing. "You seem so much more cool-headed. No pun intended," she winked.**

"I'm just glad I don't seem frosty to you," Brek returned. Zoe giggled. "Not bad, Brek." Brek's cheeks reddened as he watched her laugh.

"Zoe, Mysa, can you come over here?" Lyle called. "I want to test something. I think I see a way we can send Microbe's virus through the LW vents, but we'll need your help."

Zoe and Mysa quickly stood up. As they left, Brek wiped his brow. "Wow, did she really think I was funny?" he half-said to himself.

"She did," Violet said simply. Brek almost jumped. "Oh my grife, did I say that out loud?"

"Loud enough," Violet laughed. "And I thought I was the shy one!" She leaned forward. "Zoe likes boys with a strong sense of justice and the conviction to to do what is right. But she doesn't like overly stubborn boys, or ones that don't think before they leap, so don't go and do anything unnecessarily fancy in battle just to impress her." She watched Brek carefully as the latter swallowed. "Why are you telling me this?"

"You like her, and you seem like you have a good head on your shoulders." Violet settled back. "I think you might be good for her. Don't worry, I won't tell her about this conversation," she added with a soft smile. "Oh, and she dislikes watching romance holos so don't ask her out on that sort of date. She prefers traveling and outdoors stuff. And she likes black hole layer cake and hates pluberry pie."

"Th... thanks," Brek stammered as he wiped his brow again.

IB's notes:

Kinetix and Leviathan had mutual crushes on each other. They never really dated, but they flirted quite a bit (Leviathan even made Kinetix acting Legion leader once). She also cried after he died.

Violet, on the other hand, had a strong love for Leviathan although he never noticed her that way. His death made her reveal that she was possessed by the Emerald Eye, and she in turn possessed the whole Legion to try and find a way to bring her back. After she was freed from the Eye, she almost died because she could not let go of him.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/10/15 02:55 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #868848 09/10/15 10:01 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Made some minor edits to the XS/Wildfire scene, to further describe the shield around LW. It prevents M'Onel from using his vision powers to see what is going on inside, and prevents the Legionnaires from physically entering (Gates can't teleport through either).

Invisible Brainiac #868897 09/11/15 08:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Garth and Imra's treatment and support of Berta was really well handled, so good for Nightwind to to see the founders are people too!

Your love of XS shines through IB. You write her beautifully. I liked Mon El and Shauvaghn working together - they are both professionals so it shouldn't be a surprise but it was good to read.

You write the best Gates I think, he's a character I have trouble with so I love your take on him; a camdudgeon with a heart.

Also really sweet the little flirtatious moment between Drura and Brek and Vi's advice to Polar Boy, even in this stressful situation they are stil people, and perhaps much like its widely reported amongst those trying to deal with life during wartime the Legionnaires appreciate the stolen moments they can share all the more and are more likely to do and say things that they probably wouldn't otherwise. And they are teenagers smile

Great stuff IB, I'm really looking forward to the big pay off soon.

More, more, more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #868904 09/11/15 09:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
So very glad you are liking these little moments Harbi, I had fun giving them some down time smile now it is time for me to ramp uo the action, you are right the payoff will come soon!

So very glad you like my Gates too, such high praise indeed! And XS as well.

(Post ZH Legion) The Best-Laid Plans
Invisible Brainiac #869021 09/12/15 05:59 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Ferro, Andrew Nolan of 20th century Earth; previously could turn his body into durable iron, but now stuck in his iron form

Mentalla, Delya Castil of Titan. (Reserve Legionnaire and Cadet). Telepathic control of others' physical functions

Ferro watched Mentalla silently as she patiently watched Gear fiddle with the door to the installation's control room. Though she was just a Cadet and a Reservist, she showed as much grace under pressure as any veteran Legionnaire - and even more than some of them had on their first missions. Sometimes Ferro recalled HIS early days with the team, when they were stuck in the 20th century; but that seemed like a lifetime ago.

"How much longer, Gear?" Sensor crossed her arms, annoyance apparent as she stared at the door. Though she still sometimes complained about her new form*, she had learned to use it well. She breathed deeply, as if calming herself. "I appreciate this is delicate work, but we don't know what the bad guy is doing with the hostages!"

"I'm almost there, Sensor," Gear squinted his left eye as he twisted his arm. "And here... we... go!" The door swung open. Gear stood up, retracting his appendages, and made a show of bowing. "Ladies first."

"Wonderful." Sensor slithered in. "Hm... Gangster, Quicksand... uh oh, Titanor. I can hide us from his telepathy too, but this will take a bit more effort than I thought."

Ferro positioned himself near the telepath. "Just warn me if he notices us, Sensor. I'll take care of him. Mentalla, maybe you can watch Quicksand."

"Of course," Mentalla said as she stood close to the villain, who could turn liquids into solids.

Gear stood beside the controls, all manner of tools emerging from his body. "Gear to Teams 2 and 3. You in position?"

"Just a sec, Gear," Triad's voice replied. "Cham's already in position, but let's give Team 2 a little bit more time."

"How much more time do they need?" Sensor's voice was tinged with impatience.

"Tinya says they're halfway to the control room."

Sensor opened her mouth to retort. "Don't worry," Triad continued on before Sensor could. "They're getting faster as they go along. Sussa's leading them in taking over the securi-cams of their installation bit by bit."

"Then we wait," Ferro added firmly as he began to float, cross-legged, in mid-air. "I'm sure they are going as fast as they can," he added with finality.

"They better be," Sensor muttered as she, too, began to float, tail tucked in under her. "I don't want to return to Legion World to see anyone we know harmed."

Ferro is originally from 20th century Earth. He joined the team when some of them were stranded; they allowed him to come to the 30th century with them because he had no family.

Sensor was transformed from her serpentine form in Legion 17-18. She gained arms, hair, and a humanoid torso and facial features.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/03/16 05:26 AM.
(Post ZH Legion) Best-Laid Plans
Invisible Brainiac #869023 09/12/15 08:35 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Back Home, Asteroid JM-L15 near Legion World...

Apparition, Tinya Wazzo of Bgztl; intangibility and disruption of mechanical devices
Karate Kid, Val Armorr of Omega Colony; skilled martial artist
Lume, of Silvan; energy being made of light
Spider-Girl, Sussa Paka of Luna; prehensile hair

Apparition squinted as she phased her hand out of the wall and into the securi-cam watching the corridor just outside the control room. She was glad she had mastered her ability to disrupt and control circuitry; it was tough enough making sure nobody saw her arm as she fiddled with the camera. Suddenly destroying it in a shower of sparks would be just perfect, especially for such a senior Legionnaire.

"Sentient approaching, Apparition," Lume whispered over the flight rings. Tinya quickly withdrew her hand, leaving only her eyes to peek out of the wall. Lume was in its energy form, hovering in the corner near one of the lights. Normally extremely bright, Lume had tones down its luminescence to match the lighting in the corridor. "Sentient clear."

"Thanks, Lume." Tinya dove right back in, phasing her face and her arms inside the securi-cam. "Ready, Sussa."

"Okay, look for the red wire running from the lens," Sussa replied. "You need to attach the microchip right at the point the wire meets the wall." Tinya licked her lips as she did. She was glad she had so much practice knitting mittens for Cub. Grife, Violet would have been the better choice for this! After a few harrowing minutes, she managed to fit the microchip. "Done, Sussa."

In her hiding place in the vents, Spider-Girl's hair tapped gently across her Omnicom, inputting commands faster than her fingers ever could. Each of the four microchips they had implanted allowed her increasing access to a specific portion of the installation's command systems, access she would need to open a hole big enough for Gear to tap through. "We're ready," she noted. "Is Gear's team in position?"

"Yes," Triad replied. "Your team is good to go."

"Finally," Sussa breathed. "Karate Kid, you're up."

"With pleasure," Val responded from his position outside. "Be ready."

Sussa counted silently to five, bracing herself against the walls. Right on target, a tremor rocked the installation on the wall outside the control room. Its door swung open and Holdur, Twine and a handful of support staff exited. "What the sprock just happened? Stormfront, Caress?"

They were met with silence. Twine and Holdur looked at each other. "Slacking off?" Holdur asked. Twine shook her head. "Maybe Stormfront would be dumb enough, but Caress is too professional. We should check it out. Doubt it's an attacker, but this field is full of asteroids bumping into one another. Might be something like that." She turned to the support staff. "You stay put. The boss will have our heads if we lose this station." The two costumed villains ran off; the staff turned to enter the room. Sussa grinned as she tapped on her Omnicom; the door swung shut as the lights in the corridor went out.

"Sprock!" One of the staff desperately pressed against the door. "Power outage? This is the sprocking 31st century!"

"It can happen," another replied as he checked the ceiling. "If something damaged the generators, then yes. Failsafes will kick in in a few minutes though."

Even as the staff were speaking, Sussa crawled along the vents above the room. She lifted the grates and dove through, landing smoothly on the floor below thanks to her flight ring. She ran to the controls and stuck the device Babbage and Gear had concocted onto it. The device beeped once, then a green light began to glow. She began inputting commands, just as Brainiac 5 had instructed her.

"Okay, rerouting information flow..." Apparition emerged from the wall as she did. "Lume's watching the door. Anything I can help with?"

"Thanks, but you've already done your part. The microchips you installed will keep my hacking from being detected," Sussa replied as she kept typing. "We don't have much time. I just need to open a back door... and... I think I've got it!"

"Indeed you have." Gear's voice sounded through the controls. "Thanks for letting me in."

"Our pleasure," Sussa smiled as she detached the device from the controls. "Now it's time to make a graceful exit."

"We'll see you outside, then," Apparition smiled as she sank into the floor. "Very impressive, Sussa."

"It was a team effort, Tinya," Sussa winked as she flew back into the vents. She quietly replaced the grate, then tapped her Omnicom. The door to the room opened and the support staff filed inside. "What did I tell you?" one of them said as he sat back down. "Failsafes kicked in."

"Glad they did," another breathed. "Stupid asteroid. Took out Caress and Stormfront and the controls to our section, I heard!"

Sussa smiled to herself as she made her way to her exit. Who knew being a Legionnaire would be this much fun?

Re: (Post ZH Legion) Best-Laid Plans
Invisible Brainiac #869048 09/12/15 11:38 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Shikari Lonestar of the Kwai; pathfinding, armored skin and claws allowing for flight and survival in space
Triad, Luornu Durgo of Cargg; triplication; skilled administrator

Chuck Taine of Earth (Honorary Legionnaire). Skilled architect and mechanic, pilot of the bouncing ship called the Bouncing Boy

"... and we figured out how to incorporate the new plastic fluid into the inner lining between the ship's hulls to make it bounce." Chuck rapped the walls of the Bouncing Boy for emphasis. "As for why a bouncing ship, well why not? It makes for a surprise tacic in battle," he smiled.

"Fascinating, Chuck. That's really brilliant," Triad Neutral smiled.

"Weird, but brilliant," Purple grudgingly admitted. "Now, no offense Chuck, but you've pretty much walked us through your activities for the past two years. Hey Cham, you done yet?"

"Sorry Triad. I had to wait for a shift change so I could do the job. Luckily, all I have to do is copy the eyeball of someone authorized - in this case, The Empress, and enable remote control. And I'll be done in just... about... now."

"Confirming!" Gear's triumphant voice came over Orange's commlink. "I am in. You hear that, LW away team?"

"Affirmative. This is Nightwind, and we are go. Great work, teams."

"Still no let up from Earth space," Kid Quantum II popped in. "We're making good progress though. Brainy's team is almost done. You go ahead, but save some for us."

"We'll try," Nightwind responded. "Heading out now - I'll alert you once we're ready, Gear."

As the commlinks winked out, Chuck leaned back in his chair. "Wow! That was great going, Shikari, Triad. You guided all three teams to the control centers just like that."

Shikari propped herself up from the couch she had been lying on. "Thank you, Jovial Legion. I am looking forward to helping retake Legion World."

"Don't worry Kari. As soon as the others return to the Bouncing Boy, we'll head right over there to help them," Triad Neutral replied as she checked the flight ring indicators. "And we're going to have a lot of words with this mysterious bad guy..."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/03/16 05:29 AM.
(Post ZH Legion) The Retaking of Legion World
Invisible Brainiac #869081 09/12/15 07:39 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Impulse, Kent Shakespeare of Earth; enhanced speed, strength, durability and recuperative abilities, medical doctor
Live Wire, Garth Ranzz of Winath; electric manipulation. Formerly had Element Lad's transmutation abilities.
Microbe, Drura Sehpt of Somahtur; generate and control harmful and beneficial microorganisms
M'Onel, Lar Gand of Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers
XS, Jenni Ognats of Aarok; super-speed, granddaughter of the Flash (Barry Allen)

Shvaughn Erin of Earth (Honorary Legionnaire). Science police captain and Legion Liaison Officer.

As the shield surrounding Legion World winked out of existence, Nightwind opened the airlock. "Okay teams, you know what to do. Fan out to your positions and stay in contact. Now, let's go Legionnaires!"

All 15 active members on board the ship echoed Nightwind's battle cry as they jumped out of their ship. Shvaughn Erin watched as they did, a twinkle in her eye. "Godspeed, Legionnaires."

The Legionnaires alighted on a small asteroid near the surface of Legion World and formed into their sub-teams. As soon as they did, Gates formed his teleport disks. "Taxi service coming up, lazy humanoids!" he joked. Invisible Kid, Impulse, Kinetix and Violet vanished into one; Babbage, Nightwind, Microbe and Saturn Girl into another; and XS, White Witch and Gates himself into a third.

As they watched the three disks dissipate, Blizzard turned to Live Wire, M'Onel and Wildfire. "You ready to kick some serious nass, guys?" Brek's hand glowed a crystalline white. "I'm looking forward to cutting loose."

"Not too loose, Blizzard," M'Onel answered as he trained his vision powers on Legion World. "Remember our part; we create a distraction only if we need to. This is still a covert operation and we need to let our teams accomplish their objectives first."

"I'm sure Blizzard knows that, M'Onel," Live Wire said gently as Brek's face fell. "He's just being enthusiastic, and I can appreciate that."

"Yeah, and you have to admit, we're all raring to kick these dweeks where it hurts," Wildfire added.

"You are right. I apologize, Brek, if I misinterpreted."

"No worries, M'Onel," Brek smiled as he extended his hand. "I'm just really stoked to be working with you."

"Pleasure's all mine," M'Onel replied with a smile as he shook Brek's hand. "I just hope we don't have to do too much work."

As soon as they materialized in the workshop that Chuck Taine and Gear used to study methods of improving Legion World's maintenance, Babbage leaped at the control panel. "It is just as Gear described," it intoned as it began to type instructions. "This panel will allow me to take control of Legion World's life support systems. In five minutes I will have control of the vents; in another fifteen we should be able to access the Thresholds."

"Great work, Babbage," Nightwind said as she pulled out a pouch from her belt. She opened it, peering at the tiny spheres with propellers on top. Each was small enough to seem like a speck of dust. "And these little babies are going to make our work a lot easier."

"Especially after I infect them with the Naltorian sleeping sickness," Microbe grinned as she took the pouch. "With a few modifications, of course."

Saturn Girl closed her eyes as a pinkish aura surrounded her head. "Identifying... I've located the biggest concentrations of post-human villains. Ugh... I recognize quite a few particularly vile ones." Though her voice dripped with disgust, her expression remained stoic. "Thankfully, their imprisonment of hostages will work against them. I know where they are; we can easily avoid infecting them. I can also confirm the Threshold room is clear."

"Their attack on us will backfire as well*," Nightwind said darkly. "Nobody messes with the Legion." She put her flight ring to her lips. "White Witch, get ready to roll."

Leaving Kinetix and Impulse hiding in an alcove, Invisible Kid flew into the bio-research lab, a tiny Violet on his shoulder. Much to Lyle's chagrin, it was nearly unrecognizable. He and Brainiac 5 had spent hours upon hours researching here, but now it looked like the diabolical lair of some super-villain from the 1940s. Rows upon rows of unconscious, superpowered beings floated in tubes. Violet gasped in horror as she saw friends and allies. "Atmos, Dirk Morgna, Vapor, Mekt Ranzz, Lori Morning... Even RJ Brande! It's a who's who, Lyle," Violet whispered. Lyle nodded, even as he searched the laboratory for a certain figure. His heart pounded as he did. Nightwind had said he had been taken... he must be here... he must...

There. Lyle felt the tears welling in his eyes as he looked at the handsome, adorable face he dreamed of every night.

Condo.

"Let's move, Vi. You watch my back while I tinker with the controls," Lyle whispered.

"Whoa, hold on there," Violet whispered back. "You never know when the bad guy will get here. Kinetix and Impulse are watching the corridor, at least let them give us the all-clear."

"Doesn't mean we can't start," Lyle murmured. "I can study these controls without actually freeing everyone. Okay?"

"... Okay, then," Violet said as she jumped off Lyle's shoulder and onto a table top across the entrance. "Just keep alert."

"Of course." Lyle forced himself to take his eyes off Condo and flew towards the controls. "Just wait for me a little longer, Condo," he muttered under his breath. "Just wait."

XS watched as the last of the guards in the Threshold chamber slumped to the floor. "Worked like one of your spells, Mysa," she reported. "That Naltorian Sleeping Sickness is such a gem!"

"You sure they can't see us from outside?" an exhausted Gates called from beside XS. "I mean, are you very sure?"

"Yes," White Witch replied as she lowered her hands. "I rehearsed that spell extensively, Gates. A simple enough illusion spell, it is not as effective as Sensor's powers, but it will suffice. Any who look into this room will continue to perceive it as it was just before the spell was cast."

"Perfect," said XS as she zipped around. With Babbage guiding her, the Threshold gates were operational in seconds. "Now all we need is a Kwai, and we'll be in business. You hear that, Nightwind?"

"Yes. Now head over to where the hostages are and get ready to bring them to safety."

"Okay, see you in a bit," XS smiled as she waved to Gates and White Witch and dashed off.

"I hope she hurries," Gates said testily. "I won't be able to help her, and estimates say we have thousands of hostages."

"I understand your concern, but I wouldn't worry," White Witch turned to inspect the Thresholds. "She is very capable, and... OH!" A green blast of energy threw Mysa backwards. Gates turned in shock as it did. "Oh, SPROCK!"

A green light shone in the doorway to the Chamber. "Ah, much better. Now we get to see things as they are instead of as they were. Don't worry though, White Witch... Your spell worked just fine. We only countered it because we anticipated you would pull something like that... Right, Eye?" The glow faded as the Empress and the Emerald Eye walked into view. "Just like we anticipated everything you would do."

"Sprock sprock sprock I knew this was too easy!" Gates yelled as he teleported beside Mysa. "Nightwind! Get everyone out of... AHHH!" Gates screamed as his mind exploded. He slumped to the floor beside Mysa. "Ahh, Vyrgans. Such uncomplicated, focused minds," purred Ar'dn, the Gil'dan representative from the now-defunct Dark Circle. "Thank you for saving this one for me, Empress."

"As long as you let me kill him when the Master says we can." A cruel smile twisted her lips as she bound Gates' hands. "Now, let's go hunt the others."

Just three seconds after she left the Threshold Chamber, XS emerged in the Legion World entrance hall. It was the single room large enough to hold all of the hostages easily; some of the planetary habitats were too, but there were also plenty of places to hide. This space was easy to guard. She peeked in; the hostages were huddled towards the center, surrounded by a translucent energy cage. One-way visuals, she bet. SHe recognized Marla Latham and Dr. Ryk'rr, standing towards the front of the hostages and trying to keep the calm. She smiled to herself; she knew they could have counted on them to do that.

Even with the guards isolated, they could not risk infecting them; an airborne virus could slip through the cage's molecules and put all the hostages to sleep as well. No, she had to do this the old-fashioned way.

She ran as fast as she could, taking out each guard with a well-placed nerve strike, just as Karate Kid had taught her. She gently laid each on the floor as she did. Then she began studying the controls of the cage. A combination lock. Easy enough, she could just try every possible combination until she found the right one. She just had to make sure there were no booby traps. Taking out her Omnicom, she began to study the lock...

...only for it to morph and clamp down on her arm. "So you really are alive, Legionnaire!"

"What?" XS quickly vibrated her arm, blowing the being back. It crashed onto the floor, reverting to its normal form. "A Durlan?!"

"And more!" XS felt a sticky substance wrapping around her. She tried to vibrate through it, but she suddenly felt sluggish. She gasped as it wrapped around her. She turned to watch her attackers, and her eyes widened in horror. "Oh... oh no..."

"Oh yes. I recognize you, humanoid, from what I believe was your very first mission as a Legionnaire," Tangleweb* hissed as it towered over here. Beside her was a man she did not recognize, wielding something she did - the first Kid Quantum's stasis belt. She tried to scream, but she couldn't even do that as the goo piled over her eyes.

Invisible Kid feverishly tapped on his Omnicom as he accessed the settings in the laboratory. Apparently, the tubes were simulating life support functions. It was easy enough figuring out how to dismantle them; the difficulty was in making sure he disengaged all vital functions before doing so. He wished Brainiac 5 or Gear were here. It was hard to think while Condo's life was in danger...

"LYLE!" A violent shake wracked his body. He instinctively stamped down where his attacker's foot would be, only to hit empty air. "It's me, Vi. I've been calling you!" Before Lyle could apologize, Vi continued. "Start freeing those hostages! We don't have any more time!"

"What... Oh." Lyle's blood turned cold as he took in the figure in the doorway. It was just as the others had described him... a humanoid male with pink skin, dressed in armor and a cape. An unconscious Kinetix and a struggling Impulse were dangling from his hands.

"You will surrender, Legionnaires. NOW." He pointed a hand right at Condo's tube. "Some of these subjects are expendable, and I will not hesitate to destroy them."

"Oh grife..." Violet whispered to Lyle. "I'll try to distract him. You be ready to move."

Lyle hissed under his breath as he tried to calculate the odds. He could never move Condo's tube in time, not by himself. And using himself as a shield wouldn't work. No, they would have to stop the villain from blasting. "Vi, no, I think we need to play along first."

"No." A loud boom erupted as twin beams of heat seared the villain's flesh. He screamed in surprise and pain as a red-and-blue blur collected Kinetix and Impulse.

"M'Onel!" Violet screamed as she bent over to adjust Kinetix's transuit. Zoe stirred as she did, while Lyle pulled Impulse over to the controls.

"And Wildfire!" A blast of anti-energy slammed into the villain, pushing him back. "Just in time, huh?"

"Keep blasting, Drake." M'Onel moved behind the villain, pinning his arms to his sides. "I'll hold him."

"No, you will not." The villain calmly pushed his arms outwards and elbowed M'Onel in the stomach. The Daxamite staggered backwards. With surprising speed, the villain tossed M'Onel over his shoulder and at Wildfire, who evaded just in time. M'Onel just barely managed to divert his path to avoid crashing into the tube holding Dragonmage.

"How the sprock are you powerful enough to do that?!" Wildfire turned to blast the villain once more. Kinetix joined him; anti-energy and telekinetic blasts battering the villain from two sides. A gigantic Violet followed by smashing a desk on him. He staggered momentarily, then stood. "Grife, I gave it all I had!" Kinetix breathed. "I don't believe this!"

"My kind have faced beings as powerful, or more so, than you," the villain's deep voice was chilling. "No mortal being can stand against a Monitor." He began to advance on the Legionnaires. "Now, you will submit."

The earlier attack Nightwind refers to is depicted at the start of .

The Legion faced Tangleweb in ...gends-revealed-187/]Comic Book Resources
, RJ was originally supposed to be the Martian Manhunter, but this did not push through as it would have contradicted some developments in J'Onn's own title, such as his 30th century activities shown in Martian Manhunter v2 11.

Lori Morning is also a hostage because, even though she has no powers at the moment, she has absorbed a great deal of chronal energy because of her time travels.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/18/22 05:07 PM.
Re: (Post ZH Legion) The Retaking of Legion World
Invisible Brainiac #869121 09/13/15 08:19 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

"Something else's wrong!" Fear tinged Gear's voice. His eyes glowed as he began scanning the readouts.

"What? What is it?" Sensor hissed. "We were undetected, right?"

"Wrong." Titanor's voice was cold as he reached and slapped Mentalla, who went down with a pained cry. Then he rounded on Sensor. "I don't only control minds, Legionnaire. I have decent mental shields as well. And now your mind is mine, witch!"

"I... think... not!" Tears streamed down Sensor's eyes as she resisted. "Ferro, Gear, watch out! I can't maintain my illusions and fight him off at the same time!"

"I kind of figured that!" Ferro watched as, shaken from the illusion, the other villains began to act. Quicksand raised her hands, liquefying the floor into a flowing mass of metal, and aimed it at Ferro. Ferro quickly used his flight ring to fly above the attack. He glanced at Gear; the villain called Gangster had used his ability to split into multiple bodies and was swarming his teammate with attacks. "I'll help you, Gear! You warn the other teams!"

"I already tried!" Gear's voice was desperate as he blasted at the Gangster bodies; three fell down, but the remaining five simply duplicated themselves and advanced.

"Worry about yourself, Legionnaire." Quicksand turned her fists into liquid and shot at Ferro's face; he gasped as the liquid seeped into his mask and onto his torso. "You know, I don't usually turn other beings into liquid, but your metallic body makes too tempting a target..."

Ferro screamed as he felt his arm start to melt. He swatted at Quicksand's form, but she kept flowing and ebbing; it was like trying to scrape oil off.

"I have you, Ferro!" One of Gear's arms snaked out from under the pile of Gangster bodies and transformed into a large heat cannon. "You don't need to close your eyes, right?" Gear fired; a screaming Quicksand wailed as the heat rays battered her. She turned back to her human form and slumped to the ground.

"Thanks, Gear," Ferro quickly checked his arm. The damage was minimal, and he suspected mostly cosmetic. "Allow me to return the favor." He dove at the only Gangster body that was hanging back; the body aimed a large gun at him and fired. Ferro dodged and slammed his fist into Gangster's face. In a flash, the remaining bodies faded from sight. "Whew. Glad you can only keep those bodies while conscious... Gear, keep trying to contact the others! I'll help Sensor!"

"You will not." Ferro screamed as he felt Titanor's telepathy invade his mind. "You will hurt her!"

"Yes..." Ferro felt the words escape his lips even as a revulsion filled his heart. He looked at Sensor and saw only a snooty, spoiled princess who had patronized him during his Legion career. Beside him, Gear stood. "You could have stopped me from getting damaged on Blackstar, Sensor..." Gear rasped. "You let me get hurt!"**

"Ferro, Gear, no!" Sensor backed away in a panic. "Please, fight it!"

"They cannot," Titanor gloated. "As your teammates found out so long ago, I can control more than one puppet at a time... ahhh!"

"And as they found out, you talk too much!" Mentalla staggered to her feet as she faced Titanor. "Now, let them go!" Ferro felt Titanor's mental control slip as Mentalla pressed her attack. She was trying to cut off the domination at its source! He dropped to his knees as Titanor's will went in and out of his mind. It was too fast; every time he felt a modicum of control return, it was lost just like smoke seeping through his fingers. "Uhnn... Mentalla..."

"Try to get yourself out of here, Ferro," Mentalla breathed as she pushed against Titanor. "I'm trying to drive him out..."

"You won't!" Leaping forward, Titanor gripped Mentalla's arms. "Impressive, little girl. You are challenging my domination... but physically, you are no match for me."

"You really do talk too much!" Sensor's tail looped around Titanor's torso and pulled him into the air. With a flick, she slammed him into the floor. "You okay?" She reached down to help Mentalla up.

"Yes... thank you. I really wasn't sure how much longer I could have held on..."

"You did fine," Sensor smiled as she helped Ferro up. "I saw him slap you. It looked pretty painful."

"Yes..." Mentalla touched her face and winced. "Is everyone else okay?"

"I'll be fine," Ferro added as he checked his arm again. "Thankfully, Quicksand started with the portion covered by my sleeve..."

"Glad we're all okay," Gear called from the controls as he kept typing. "But I don't know for how much longer." He turned to face his teammates, eyes glowing a deep red. "I've been shut out of this asteroid's systems, and the systems of the other two. And communications with the others are down."

"Can't... Can't you hack into them again?" Sensor asked fearfully.

"I did it once before, so I should be able to, with time," Gear said quietly. "The question is... with our cover blown, will our teammates survive until then?"

LSH 117 - Sensor was imprisoned on Blackstar Prison, where Gear manned the security system. Gear had simply been waiting for a powerful inmate who could help him shut down the prison. Gear was severely damaged in the battle.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/18/22 05:09 PM.
(Post ZH Legion) All-Out War!
Invisible Brainiac #869125 09/13/15 10:10 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Chameleon, Reep Daggle of Durla; shapeshifting
Timber Wolf, Brin Londo of Zuun; enhanced speed, strength, durability, senses and regenerative powers
Umbra, Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII; controls a mystical darkfield

Insect Queen, Lonna Leing of Xanthu. (Uncanny Amazer and Legion ally). Ability to morph her abdomen into various insect forms, gaining the powers of the forms she takes.

"Well, that was a fun first mission," Insect Queen sighed as she stood up. "Don't get me wrong though; I'm impressed at how smoothly it went. We didn't even have to do anything."

"Part of the job, IQ," Timber Wolf grinned. "Legionnaires are professionals, after all."

"Hush," Umbra cautioned. "Chameleon should have returned by now. Something else else is not right, and I cannot hail him through his flight ring." She peered intently through her darkfield. "We must move... ARGH!"

Umbra screamed as a bright light pierced through her darkfield and slammed into her chest. A cruel laugh filled the area as the darkness dissipated around them. The light solidified into a slim blonde youth. "Strike one goes to Lazon!"

"You're fast, but can you think fast enough?" Timber Wolf snarled as he leaped forward. Then, he felt something wet and tight lasso around his leg. "What?"

"It is Ze Tongue, mon ami!" A green-skinned youth laughed as he pulled his tongue, slamming Brin into the ground. "Ze Legion rejected me before, but I have found ze new comrades! And my bolo-tongue, eet ees effective, no?"

"Please, even the Uncanny Amazers would have turned you down," Insect Queen sneered as she transformed into an Arcturan Gypsy Moth. Fluttering her wings, she sent hallucinogenic scales at Ze Tongue and Lazon. The latter zipped away, but the former held his head in his hands. "Vot ees... happening..." he collapsed onto the ground.

Lonna turned towards Brin and Tasmia. "Are you two okay?"

"Watch out!" Brin yelled, pointing behind her. Lonna turned around to see a purple woman in a green costume; she carried a large transparent canister with a quivering Chameleon inside. "Can't... control... body..." Cham stammered. "Watch out... spores..."

"Yes, Pollen's spores can do a lot of damage," the woman smiled as she released a burst of fine dust at Lonna before she could react. Lonna staggered backwards, wings flapping urgently; not fast enough, though. She fell, coughing. "And now for you two," she pointed at Timber Wolf and Umbra.

"Too slow, babe." Brin hurled a rock at Pollen; it struck her in the forehead. She fell down with a pained cry, and the canister containing Chameleon rolled away.

"Okay, now where's that last squaj... Yeow!" Brin fell as a wide beam of light careened into him.

"Who's the squaj now, Legionnaire?" Lazon taunted. "And now for you, Shadow Lass. This should be easy."

Umbra grit her teeth as Lazon advanced. She waited until he was closer... closer... He held out his glowing hand. "Good night."

Before he could fire, shadows enveloped him from behind, covering his face and body. "Mmmmmph!" he screamed as he willed his body to turn into light. He blasted his molecules outwards, trying to escape. It was so cold... so dark... He could feel it compressing around him as he screamed in his mind.

Outside, Umbra drew her hands back, then released a thick barrage of shadows at Lazon. The solid wave of shadows snapped into his body; he fell like a sack of pluberries.

"Good night yourself, Lazon," she muttered as she dusted herself off. "And the name is Umbra." She turned to her teammates.With a flick of her wrist, she sliced open Chameleon's canister as Timber Wolf helped Insect Queen up. "Come, now that the element of surprise is lost, I think we need to have words with whomever is in that installation." Without waiting for a reply, she gathered Chameleon in a darkfield sling and took off. Timber Wolf and Insect Queen looked at one another; he shrugged, then followed.

Insect Queen wrapped the three unconscious villains in webbing, then turned into a Tenazorian Dragonfly. As she launched herself into the sky, she thought that she might have preferred the quiet, boring wait earlier.

IB's notes:

This is Lazon's first actual Postboot appearance. I needed a villain who could give Umbra trouble, and decided to use him.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/13/15 10:53 PM.
Re: (Post ZH Legion) All-Out War!
Invisible Brainiac #869215 09/13/15 10:23 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Some awesome action! I cringed for Ferro going up against Quicksand, that could have been much worse! Good work giving so many characters a moment in the spotlight...Gear, Sensor, Mentalla...can't wait to see what Tasmia's group get up to next - two shapeshifters and two of the best fighters in the Legion are gonna be a tough combo to beat!

Invisible Brainiac #869220 09/13/15 10:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks raz smile Glad you enjoyed the battles. It was tough giving everyone a chance to shine, now I sort of understand why they limited the team membership in the comics! There are just so many of them smile

Hope you enjoyed the battles on Legion World too, as well as the action with Tinya and Sussa's team. Much more to come I can promise you smile

Invisible Brainiac #869223 09/13/15 11:27 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Back Home, In space between Earth and Legion World...

Andromeda, Laurel Gand of Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers
Kid Quantum II, Jazmin Cullen of Xanthu; time manipulation
Star Boy, Thom Kallor of Xanthu; gravity manipulation
Thunder, Cece Beck of 90th century Binderaan; SHAZAM-empowered human with enhanced strength, speed, durability, stamina, wisdom and flight powers

Kid Quantum II looked with worry at the dozens of ships they had disabled. Only a few ships remained, yet... Surely someone must have figured that Legion World was being attacked. She hoped that things were running smoothly.

"Nightwind? Triad? Any word?" she barked over her flight ring as she encircled yet another ship's thrusters in a quantum bubble. She willed the bubble to age the machinery to dust; in seconds, the metal had withered and the ship began to stall.

"Still no word, Jazmin?" Thunder asked as she and Andromeda flew up alongside her.

"No... it's not like them to sign in. Brainy's team is the only I can reach. We have to expect the worst. As soon as they're done, we take the fight to Legion World."

"Or you can just die here and save us all the trouble!" A green beam of energy stabbed through space and blasted into Andromeda, who was thrown back. Thunder and Kid Quantum stared in shock as the Empress, the Emerald Eye and Validus came into view. Validus followed with a bolt of electricity that lit up Andromeda's body like a neon tube; the two attacks were too much for the Daxamite, who floated limply in space.**

"Sprock. Star Boy, get over here," Kid Quantum barked as she encased the Empress in a quantum bubble. "Brainy, you may have incoming. Thunder...!"

"On it." Thunder slammed into Validus, pushing him backwards. The gigantic villain snarled as he swiped at Thunder, who evaded smoothly. She flew around him, punching him from behind. With a roar, he blasted Thunder with more of his mental lightning. Thunder grit her teeth as she absorbed the blast; it was painful, but not quite enough. "I was prepared for you," Thunder said grimly as she gripped Validus' arm. "And I'm used to being hit by lightning!" With a twist, she flung Validus into a nearby asteroid. A cloud of dust and debris erupted as he hit. "That should keep you busy for a while... AAAAAAAAAAHH!!"

Thunder turned around to see an unconscious Kid Quantum floating by as the Emerald Eye pressed its attack. It was more painful than she had thought! She tried flying up, but the beam was trained on her; it followed her every move. Gritting her teeth, she began advancing on it. "I'm not as vulnerable to magic as Andromeda is!"

"No, but not even you can stand against this for long," the Empress smiled cruelly. "Especially not against both of us!"

Thunder screamed as she felt Validus' electricity zap her again. If we can't stop them here, they'll wreak havoc on Earth! she thought desperately. I have to... have to... She never finished her thought as she slipped into unconsciousness.

Tharok fumed as he tried to communicate with his restraints. No good; there wasn't a hint of artificial intelligence for his computer half to control. He looked at Mano and Persuader; Mano couldn't move his arms, and without his Axe the Persuader was just a decently strong but still normal man. No, they weren't getting out of this one like this.

He shook his head. The Legionnaires would win again...

Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, he saw a flickering green glow. He raised an eyebrow as he observed it. It must be... "Empress!" he exclaimed as the Empress, the Emerald Eye and Validus popped into view. Within seconds, the Eye had removed their restraints and had teleported the Persuader's Axe into his hands. "Well, well, well, the Five together again," Mano sneered. "Has the big boss changed orders?"

"Somewhat," Empress said testily as she ordered the Eye to zap the security cams. "Apparently, he knew the Legionnaires had returned to this reality all along. He only told us after a group infiltrated Legion World though... He wanted them there for some reason." She licked her lips suddenly. "Not that I'm complaining too much... They walked right into the trap. I'm looking forward to killing all of them this time. We've already taken down some powerful ones like White Witch and XS; the boss is seeing to M'Onel and Wildfire personally."

"So what are we supposed to do now?" Tharok asked. "I can take control of this ship easily and use it to destroy much of the fleet. I assume you took care of Andromeda and Thunder."

Before Empress could answer, Tharok felt himself being dragged down. He stared at the hole in the hull; Star Boy floated outside while a dazed-looking Andromeda was battering a snarling Validus. "Hope you don't mind me weighing in on your discussion," Star Boy quipped.

"We don't have time for this!" Empress shrieked. "Eye, get him!" Star Boy flew down as the Eye fired at him. The effects of Star Boy's power remained, though.

"Quickly, Empress," Tharok said. "Where were we supposed to go?"

"Earthside," Empress spat even as she watched the Eye. "Group of Legionnaires building something. We were supposed to take it over. Repulse's squad will meet us there."

"Okay, send the three of us there. You and Validus stay here and keep these Legionnaires from reinforcing the ones on Earth."

"As long as you save the killing for me," Empress laughed. "Eye, you heard Tharok!"

As they faded out of view, Tharok reflected silently on what had just happened. He was still the brains of the Fatal Five... but this time, the Five were under the thumb of another, more powerful villain.

He would have to do something about that eventually.

IB's notes:

Yes, Emerald Eye and Empress were just on Legion World, but they made their way to this location. It's pretty hard finding a villain who can reasonably threaten both Andromeda and Thunder after all smile

In Legion 15-16, the Fatal Five mentioned that the Emerald Eye's power had been diminished after the Blight invasion. How or why was never explained. The Eye was still pretty darned powerful though.

Validus' mental lightning was strong enough to stun both Andromeda and M'Onel in LSH 80, while the Emerald Eye took M'Onel out in Legionnaires 45. The Daxamites were fully-powered then. I figured both attacks should be more than enough to take out Andromeda and Thunder out this time, even with the Eye's diminished power.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/27/17 07:35 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #869242 09/14/15 06:58 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Back Home, on Legion World...

Live Wire cursed silently as he stood back-to-back with Blizzard. After M'Onel had spotted the danger Lyle's squad was in, they had rushed to the rescue. The time for subtlety was over, as they had been revealed anyway. But he and Blizzard were much slower than M'Onel and Wildfire, and had been intercepted on the way. Now, they were surrounded by nearly a dozen super-powered enemies. From their uniforms, they were all members of the Credo. "I thought they disbanded!" he told Blizzard. "After they saw Singularity try to blow them up to kill m- the Progenitor!"**

"Most did, but some of us stayed together," a finned Credo member snarled as it sent a barrage of teeth at them. Blizzard quickly conjured up an ice shield; it cracked under the volley, but held. "Though Singularity tried to kill us and the Progenitor saved us, it still did not undo the evil deeds of his Progeny!"

"Wonderful," Live Wire muttered as he placed his hands together. "Brek, time to do what we planned."

"With pleasure, Garth."

Garth raised his hands above his head and released the ball of electricity he had gathered. A series of blinding flashes lit up the corridor they were fighting in; the Credo members screamed and cowered. Garth doubted many had been hit, but they were down, at least.

"My turn!" Brek said, concentrating. Frost began filling the area as he super-cooled the air; the Credo had been wearing spacesuits and had not noticed the drop in temperature, but they would notice the rapidly solidifying ice encasing them. Garth supported Brek by zapping any enemies trying to break through the ice. In minutes, all were trapped.

"High ten!" Brek shouted enthusiastically as he held up his hands. A grinning Garth returned the gesture. "Okay, let's go find Imra and Berta. Their group is the only one I can raise..."

"Thanks for letting us know." Garth gasped as he felt a pair of steel-hard hands crushing his chest. "Who...?" He channeled his electricity into his attacker, but nothing happened. "Sprock, I can't affect her!"

"Density! I recognize you from the tryouts!"** Brek jumped forward, gripping Density's arm. "Let him go!"

"Hah!" Density laughed as she thrust her arm out, sending Brek flying into the wall. "You won't stop someone who can change her substance into anything that easily." As Brek slumped down, she punched a struggling Garth in the head. "Thanks for cooperating, Live Wire. The Master will be pleased." She slung an unconscious Garth over her shoulder as she lifted her Omnicom. "Density to Brainstorm. I have Live Wire and am taking him directly to the Master's chambers. Home in on corridor 33 and pick up Blizzard."

She left an unconscious Blizzard behind as she whistled to herself. Today was turning into a good day.

Brek struggled to pull himself to his feet. Grife, how long had he been out? "Oh no, Garth!" He looked around in panic. Sprock. Garth had been taken, and he had just let him go!

"Nightwind? Saturn Girl? M'Onel? Anyone?" he stammered into his flight ring. No answer. Were they all locked in battle, or captured, or worse?

"Density said he would be around here." Brek jumped as he heard the approaching voices. He tensed; perhaps he could take them out. But he was in no shape to fight multiple opponents; his head was still spinning. And he remembered what Violet had said about thinking before acting.

He turned and flew as fast as he could in the opposite direction.

Heart pounding, he tried using his flight ring's tracking function to find Nightwind. Her squad must still be free... it must...

He rounded a corner in the direction his flight ring was leading him to, and stopped in awe. Three dozen or so armed sentients were pounding on the door to what he recognized was Chuck Taine's workshop, which was also Nightwind's squad's target. Blizzard crouched down as he considered. He could take the soldiers by surprise, but exhausted as he was he might not be able to handle all of them. Perhaps if he tried to freeze their weapons...

One of the sentients fumbled her weapon. Turning to grab it, she locked eyes with Blizzard. "Hey, it's...!" Acting on instinct, Brek froze her solid. The others turned around, staring at him open-mouthed. Then, the one farthest away hefted his spear.

"Attack!!!"

"Sprock!" Brek sent a flurry of hailstones at them in desperation as he yelled into his flight ring. "Nightwind, can you hear me?"

He was answered by the door exploding open. A gust of wind sent furniture and tools flying into the attacking crowd. About half of the attackers got up, only to be met by an angry Saturn Girl and Microbe. Saturn Girl looked at each one in turn, slicing into their minds and commanding them to fall asleep. Microbe threw her hands up into the stream of air being manipulated by Nightwind, releasing the tiny spheres Babbage and Gear had engineered; those unfortunate enough to be in their path collapsed into snoring heaps.

"Thanks for the distraction, Brek." Berta's voice was steely as her hair whipped in the wind. "Nass, we've lost our edge. We need to regroup. We can't let Babbage be disturbed. Where did..."

"I'm being followed!" Brek blurted out before Nightwind could finish. "I.. UNGH!"

"Thank you for leading us to your teammates, little Legionnaire," Brainstorm cackled as he poured raw telekinetic energy onto Blizzard, who doubled under the pain. "Density may have captured Live Wire, but I'll be happy to report capturing four of you..."

"Where is Garth?!" Imra's mouth did not move, but her mind screamed the words as she invaded Brainstorm's. The shock of her invasion pushed the telekinetic backwards, but he persisted. "You took me by surprise before, mind witch, but I'm prepared now!"

"No, you are not," Imra's tone was icy as she caused a spike of pain to erupt in Brainstorm's mind. He fell, cowering, to the floor.

"Nice trick. Try it on me." A moving wall of sand emerged from the wall, covering Saturn Girl from head to toe. The former Workforce member known as Dune, composed of individual particles of sand, swarmed over her. Protected by her transuit, Imra nonetheless felt her body being buffeted by the storm. Oh sprock, she thought as she tried to isolate Dune's consciousness. It's spread out among each individual mote! It's a hive mind! Unleashing her psionic potential, she attacked each particle individually; those she did fell, but millions more remained. And they were coming at her with such force; she could feel each strike on her skin even through her transuit...

"Imra, use your flight ring to stabilize yourself!" Seconds after Berta's warning came, Imra felt gale force winds cleansing her of Dune's attack. She watched as Nightwind scattered Dune's component parts around the room.

"You have a spare transuit, right?" Berta asked. Imra quickly pulled one out of her belt pouch. "I dont' need to be a telepath to know what you're thinking," she smiled. Berta smiled back as she funneled Dune's components into the transuit.

"Watch out!" Drura warned as she flew past the two girls. They turned to see the terrorist known as Lantern smiling as his fists glowed. Before either could react, a glowing green hand slammed into both women, knocking them out. "I remember you two, Nightwind and Infectious Lass. You gave me a heck of a lot of pain last time," he said as he advanced on Drura. "Time to return the favor."

"Yeah, get them," Brainstorm slurred as he picked himself up. "And I'll destroy that mind witch... ACK!" He gagged as Drura poked a transuited finger down his throat. "I know you can render microorganisms inert," she sneered as she held his mouth open, "but try doing that when the delivery mechanism is inside you!" Brainstorm kicked at her in vain as he felt his body burn and his head explode in pain. Seconds later, he was down on the floor, retching. Drura turned to face Lantern. "Stay back," she warned as she held her hands out. "Or else you'll get worse than he did."

"Hah!" Lantern laughed as he danced backwards. "I have a longer range than you do, and your teammates are all down. Face it, Germ Girl, you are doing down."

"Actually, I believe you are." Lantern stopped as he felt a collar close around his neck. Instantly, the green glow surrounding him faded, and he fell flat on his back. "What...?"

"My friend Gear once faced a hologram of Green Lantern Kyle Rayner, and studied the power ring schematics,"*** Babbage explained. "Your powers come from similar technology; a largely inferior version of the real thing, I am told. Basically, you manipulate energy. And I have just disrupted the flow of energy through you."

"Freak!" Lantern yelled as he backed away from Babbage. "I'll tear you into microchips, you..."

"Oh, SHUT UP!" Drura placed her hands on both sides of Lantern's head. Before he could retort, he collapsed in a heaving heap.

"Nice going, gang," Blizzard pulled himself up unsteadily. "Let's make sure they stay down." He quickly encased Lantern, Brainstorm and the transuit containing Dune in ice as Nightwind and Saturn Girl staggered to her feet.

"Where's Garth?" Imra asked as she brushed herself off. "Last I heard, you were running to help Lyle's team."

"We... we were separated from M'Onel and Wildfire," Brek replied quietly. "We were ambushed and Garth... they took him."

Imra nodded calmly; Brek was amazed at her self-control. "But he's still alive then. That's good. I know they have his brother Mekt, so it's a good sign. And Brainstorm mentioned they really needed him..."

"We'll get him back, Imra," Berta's voice was determined as she checked her flight ring. "Him and the others they've taken. Babbage, did you do the deed?"

Babbage tilted its head, as if listening for something. Then it tilted its head back. "Yes, Nightwind. My brethren are on their way."

"Good," Berta punched her right fist into her left palm. "Come on, gang. Lyle's team is keeping the big bad busy. Let's go after our other friends." She jumped into the air, followed by the others. Brek spared one last look at the villains they had dispatched, then took off after the others. Part of him was pleased that they had taken down so many bad guys... but another part thought that it had been harder than he had expected.

IB's notes:

1) This is a tad confusing so bear with me. The Credo was formed by Singularity to get revenge on surviving Progeny (see Legion Lost for more details on this). In Legion 33, Singularity tried to destroy his lead ship to kill Live Wire, whose body was in Element Lad's form at the time (see Legion 25 for Garth's return). The disillusioned and confused Credo seemingly disbanded then.

2) The Legion held tryouts in Legionnaires 43. In Legionnaires 44, Density and other rejects Ze Tongue, Phantom Lad and Cherry Bomb tried to kill Umbra, Sensor and Magno so they could join the Legion. Blizzard was also rejected that day, but obviously did not turn to evil smile I'm guessing Density is female, but I'm not 100% sure as she spent most of the issue with her arms crossed over her chest smile

3) Gear (and some other Legionnaires) fought holograms of several Justice Leaguers in the Legion 12.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/16/15 08:41 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #869245 09/14/15 07:31 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
More awesomeness! Drura, Berta & Imra were great, I really liked Brek's insecurity as well. Also I forgot to say earlier, but a Monitor as the mastermind is very interesting! And it's gonna be more interesting when the Fatal Five decide they've had enough of following...

Page 16 of 49 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,290
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CreativityKid
CreativityKid
Pawtucket, RI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star