Roll Call
1 members (idle, idle, idle, idle), 21 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Re: How Do You Decide on Your Legion lineups?
Invisible Brainiac #882313 12/22/15 12:25 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thought some of you guys (especially fellow Postboot writer Omni!) might be interested in Fanfie's thread about what would you do if you inherited the Postboot Legion from DNA?

Invisible Brainiac #882394 12/23/15 12:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Would that be after Gail Simones story or right before?

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #882395 12/23/15 12:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Never mind, I'll read the thread (sorry - didn't see link)

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #882397 12/23/15 01:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
No worries Harbi. I think we can choose whether it should be before Gail Simone's story or after, but I think Fanfie makes it clear in her post that it should be right at the end of the series, and before Legion of 3 Worlds.

Invisible Brainiac #882458 12/23/15 12:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Do you guys generally type in advance or write on the spot?

I think it is going to be a struggle for me to get back to writing after Christmas, and am thinking about just writing on the spot to get a lot out.

I'm starting to understand why people generally don't like the first part of a series as much as later parts. I can't wait to finish introducing the characters and solving the origin story so I don't have to do it again.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Invisible Brainiac #882459 12/23/15 12:38 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Emily, I've done both, but I find that what works best for me falls somewhere in between: I make short notes of all the most important bits, and then from there I just write on the spot.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Invisible Brainiac #882462 12/23/15 12:59 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I have a similar approach. I make an outline/skeleton of the plot and fill in the major events. I also make note of elements that I must introduce so that future events can come to pass/will make sense. Everything else I just write on the spot.

Some things I have introduced actually came to me as I was writing (Brek having a crush on Zoe; Ferro having a crush on Mentalla). A certain character resurrection of mine also came as a flash of inspiration while I was plotting things out - I realized that the story pieces I had set up allowed me to logically bring back this character.

I would say, don't box yourself in but be open to going "where the story takes you" so to speak.

Invisible Brainiac #883588 12/31/15 01:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I news to finish my first story so I can write the ones I want, but feel a lack of inspiration. Anyone know any songs or speeches that could get me out of this rut?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Emily Sivana #883589 12/31/15 01:16 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I news to finish my first story so I can write the ones I want, but feel a lack of inspiration. Anyone know any songs or speeches that could get me out of this rut?

I recommend something instrumental to listen to. For me, I usually fall back on movie soundtracks. What kind of story am I trying to tell? Is it an action/adventure movie? I'll listen to a rousing John Williams score? Is it a horror or mystery story? I'll go for something by John Carpenter or from an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Using music that fits the story you're trying to tell can get those gears spinning in your head again. smile

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Invisible Brainiac #883615 12/31/15 03:23 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Sometimes I read my past work or the work of others to grt inspired. As for music, music from some of my favorite video games helps some times.

Invisible Brainiac #884669 01/10/16 06:04 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm finally getting to the end of the pilot/prologue for my series (I am so happy). I want to write a future story in which my characters encounter a society where everyone's superpower determines what they do in life(kind of like the Inhumans at Marvel). I'm divided whether to divide the powers by elements (like Fire, Water, etc) or by roles (street fighter, elemental, etc). Which do you think would be more interesting?

Invisible Brainiac #884681 01/10/16 08:51 AM
Congratulations, Emily.

Regarding your question, I would say that elements are a bit limiting, so roles would be better.

Invisible Brainiac #884704 01/10/16 12:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I think roles would be less limiting as well, and give you more potential to use creative powersets for your characters.

NEW QUESTION!
Invisible Brainiac #889114 03/05/16 04:50 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Are there any Legion-related characters you've wanted to write but have been stuck on how to use for whatever reason? What kind of obstacles do you find and how do you get around them?

(Sorry if this has been discussed already, I couldn't find anything over the past few pages)

Re: NEW QUESTION!
Invisible Brainiac #889121 03/05/16 05:36 AM
Jan, because I barely understand basic science, let alone hard science.

Val, because being able to cleave a tank bare-handed is a bit much for me.

Jacques, because I still haven't come around to regarding him as anything more than a cynical attempt to cash in on the Legion's main rivals at the time, the international X-Men.

Invisible Brainiac #889132 03/05/16 11:07 AM
As for overcoming obstacles in writing characters, my experiences with writing Rokk and Dirk -- both characters I normally dislike -- is to research them as thoroughly as possible and try to uncover something within them that you can feel empathy for.

Invisible Brainiac #889148 03/05/16 02:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I prefer writing about the Substitutes and more obscure characters (and original characters) for that reason. When I do that, I have more freedom to do what I want without canon getting in that way.

Invisible Brainiac #889162 03/05/16 05:08 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I like taking established characters and running with them, I get more of a "feel" for how to properly write them that way.

Like what Fanfie does, I research- though all my fanfic writing has been with the Postboot Legion, so it's easier for me because I've read pretty much every comic they have appeared in.

Invisible Brainiac #892109 03/24/16 02:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I find Tellus really difficult despite how much I liked his visual in the comic there wasn't really too much to get to grips with. I'm slowly adding layers to him in my fanfic without hopefully forcing it too badly so I have more to work with when I do need to use him. That's the plan anyway. Chemical Kid is another as like Fanfie says above the hard science is just not my bag.

I actively disliked Rokk and Dirk but have tried to make them into more attractive characters without denying their pasts. Harmonic and Dragonwing both annoyed me in the comic so again I've just kind of got on with it and found I really enjoy writing them now.

Last edited by Harbinger; 03/24/16 02:43 AM.

Invisible Brainiac #893081 04/01/16 01:06 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I think you can get interesting results from forcing yourself to write someone you don't particularly like very much - I don't mind Harbinger's Harmonia, and I never really took to her at all outside of her cool costume in the comic. I remember years ago when I was playing an Avengers RPG I ended up playing the Scarlet Witch, who was my most hated Avenger at the time....she ended up becoming one of my favourite characters of the team, and I have found that I can see all this potential in her now that I wish would be explored more in the comics.

I am on the same page with Fanfic Lady & Harbinger re the science characters too...I don't tend to use Element Lad generally unless it's a story which relates to his actual character more than his powers, or unless there's a specific thing I thought of that would be cool to do with his powers due to having read something interesting about a particular element online or something like that....Chemical Kid even moreso. Brainy's another one who can be challenging to write really well I think, it's the problem of depicting someone who's heaps more intelligent than me tongue

I would really like to do a Mordru story at some stage but finding the right platform for him to shine is the problem...it took me this long to figure out what I wanted to do with a Universo story as well, that's something else I've been sitting on just about since I started writing my series!

Invisible Brainiac #893101 04/01/16 03:14 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
As with others above, I have trouble with Chemical King/Chemical Kid because of the science involved. But my main use for Condo Arlik's powers so far has been

catalyzing Chuck Taine's metabolism to save his life after being coated in a poisonous mixture, and inadvertently giving him his bouncing powers. See it here!

A lot of pseudo-science there, and I admit to not researching much on it, but I think it worked well enough smile

Having Lyle Norg there as Condo's boyfriend AND "coach"/biology expert not only helps me, but it also makes for a wonderful storytelling dynamic and vehicle.

I find Element Lad's powers (or in my fic,)

Monstress as Element Lass!

a tad easier to grasp than Condo's. They seem a bit more basic. Change one element to another. I do need to read up on the elements, though.

One thing that helps me with them is taking established tricks they have done in the comics. For Condo, that's slowing down or speeding up other people's metabolisms; enabling combustion/starting fires; and decaying stuff.

Like with Harbi, I also find Tellus a bit difficult to write. And unlike with Gates, Blok or even Quislet, there doesn't seem to be as much of an established personality in the comics to draw from, or at least not as distinct of one. But when I do write Tellus, I'll probably use the method I used for Lume - draw on existing stories about the character and its homeworld, and see what else I can infer from those. In Lume's first appearance it showed a fear of the darkness of space, so I took that and built on it.

One thing I have tons of difficulty with is writing villains. I find it even harder to create them, so most of my villains will be established characters. I guess one thing that would help me is drawing upon real-life experiences to create interesting and realistic motivations for my baddies...

Magic users are another weak spot for me. But I like what Levitz did with Mysa - she can only use a handful of spells at a time, and these have to be pre-prepared. She needs to research do to her most powerful magic. Those limitations make her way easier to write!

Heroes with wide-area effect powers are tough too. Kid Quantum II could theoretically end most battles by just sending out a flood of quantum particles and freezing time in the immediate era! I have to taking her by surprise a lot. The powered-up Reboot Star Boy too, who basically controls gravity, can just use his powers over a wide area and slam people into the ground. And the invulnerable heroes like M'Onel, Andromeda and Thunder can be challenging as well. That's why I like keeping a library of villains on hand, so I can pick the right ones for a given fight to give these heroes a challenge. And of course, moral dilemmas and so on.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 04/01/16 03:18 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #893108 04/01/16 03:51 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Magic is an interesting point.....I've got Dragonmage and Glorith for my magic users, and I actually really enjoy writing Dragonmage because the limitation of him needing to frame everything he does as a dragonform necessarily limits his ability to be a plot device in every circumstance that comes up.

I am a bit luckier with Glorith because she's only really supporting cast so I don't have to show her in action very often...and I play up her shyness and lack of worldliness a lot so she doesn't jump into the fray with a solution all the time as someone like Supergirl or Zoe might.

I think the advantage of having a team as massive as the Legion is that you can have characters with a ridiculous level of power like any of the Daxamite-level heroes or Element Lad or a Green Lantern, and if you don't want them stealing the show you can just leave them off of a mission and only bring them out when they're likely to be challenged or they can get a chance to show off smile

razsolo #893262 04/02/16 05:16 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by razsolo

I think the advantage of having a team as massive as the Legion is that you can have characters with a ridiculous level of power like any of the Daxamite-level heroes or Element Lad or a Green Lantern,

Are you including a Green Lantern in your Legion lineup, raz? wink

But I agree, when the team's at its normal operations (central base with members being sent out on missions everywhere), it's much easier to just have certain heroes necessary for the story available. It's when we have those big epic stories with the entire team on board that the writing and plotting gets a bit tougher, and it becomes necessary to have the bad guys take certain heroes off the table so the fights remain interesting smile

In one of my recent battles, I had to take Sensor and Saturn Girl out of the fight right away! Imagine, you have someone who can cast an illusion that keeps everybody hidden...

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 04/02/16 05:17 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #893265 04/02/16 05:50 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Are you including a Green Lantern in your Legion lineup, raz? wink

Hahahaha hypothetically you could have a Green Lantern...Harbinger has a Green Lantern....yes, let's go with that laugh

Invisible Brainiac #893286 04/02/16 07:10 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Kinetix is also quite Green Lantern-like... wink

Kinetix

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,928
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Luck Lad
Luck Lad
Vancouver, BC
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star