Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Titans Hunt - Post-Convergence Clean Up
#873297 10/22/15 02:14 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Titans Hunt officially began yesterday, and so starts a year-long process of cleaning up the Titans history after the Nu52 mangled it.

For those of you wondering, the focus seems to be on the Nick Cardy Titans instead of the Wolfman/Perez Titans. Garth, Donna, and Roy have been reestablished as Aqualad, Wonder Girl, and Speedy in the past. Mal, Karen, Gnarrk, and Lilith are back as well.

Lilith is doing exceptionally better since her appearance as one of Harvest's lackeys, and she seems to be the only Titan who remembers that the team existed long before Tim Drake's group came along. She's also aware that someone out there is responsible for the Titans not remembering who they were, and she's trying to stop this person from "Taking them." She's also working as an addiction counselor, and one of her patients is Roy.

We're getting implications that the bad guy responsible for no one remembering the Titans is Bromwell Stikk, and we're also getting hints that Wally West may indeed have been a Titan.

Re: Titans Hunt - Post-Convergence Clean Up
Sarcasm Kid #873298 10/22/15 02:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I Skimmed it, but isn't Garth now a hitman (presumably brainwashed)? That was him Dick was trying to stop, correct?

Dave Hackett #873299 10/22/15 02:23 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
I Skimmed it, but isn't Garth now a hitman (presumably brainwashed)? That was him Dick was trying to stop, correct?

A hitman? I don't know exactly because I'm not reading Aquaman but yeah Dick was trying to stop him.

Garth and Donna being evil right now is something the writers are going to be dealing with.

Sarcasm Kid #873726 10/25/15 02:40 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
I was tempted to look at it, but I avoid any current comic written by Dan Abnett. Without Andy Lanning's ideas and enthusiasm, Abnett's a very "meh" scripter IMO.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Sarcasm Kid #873727 10/25/15 03:44 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I don't get the point of this. So they eliminated a bunch of Titans history in the new 52 and now they're retconning it back in? Why bother? The whole point of Convergence was that all the old stuff still exists in the multiverse. So why bother bringing into the "main" continuity. That's pretty lame.

Eryk Davis Ester #874613 10/31/15 02:47 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
I was tempted to look at it, but I avoid any current comic written by Dan Abnett. Without Andy Lanning's ideas and enthusiasm, Abnett's a very "meh" scripter IMO.

Wild's End in pretty decent.

Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
So they eliminated a bunch of Titans history in the new 52 and now they're retconning it back in?

Isn't there even a pathetic Event to explain the retcon, or can DC not even be bothered to do that, due to the sheer volume of less than impressive titles?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Sarcasm Kid #874684 10/31/15 08:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I haven't bought a DC comic since the DCFU began, but this one is sorely tempting me.

A current Titans book starring Mal, Lilith, Don, Hank, Gnarrk, possibly Karen and the founding five? Are you kidding me?!? I've been waiting for this comic for 30 years!

I don't get why people are confused by this title either. The Titans brand has obviously been badly damaged by the clusterf*** that is the DCFU (judging by its multiple change of writers and directions, generally poor sales and very bad word of mouth) and, in desperation, DC are turning the book back to a status that actually worked.

Judging by DC's tanking sales, I wouldn't be surprised if more failed DCFU ideas get reverted to their pre-DCFU concepts like this.

Sarcasm Kid #874930 11/03/15 05:46 PM
Good point, Blacula. But I'm the kind of reader who follows creators rather than characters or teams.

Thoth, I've never heard of Abnett's Wild's End. What's it about, and how recent is it?

Oh, I should also add that part of the reason I've soured on Abnett is because he came off like such a jerk when he went public on his split with Andy Lanning.

Fanfic Lady #875067 11/04/15 06:16 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Good point, Blacula. But I'm the kind of reader who follows creators rather than characters or teams.

This line up didn't set the world on fire in the '70s. So, it's down to the creative teams really. Jumping back to various line up seems a bit desperate. I hope that it was because a good team came up with a great new direction. But I get the feeling there's some straw grasping going on.

Thoth, I've never heard of Abnett's Wild's End. What's it about, and how recent is it?.

The first 6 issues were out last year, and are probably not long released in handy trade.

Three strengths about the book:- Scope (it keeps the story centred on a small group in a small setting despite big ramifications); Characters (From the bristling desire to be left in peace with her past author, to the sailor with a stoic outlook strengthened by the tragedy he has faced);Pace - It unfolds gradually and doesn't get ahead of itself.

Now I can say what it's about. It's a mix between War of the Worlds and...trying to think what's best...Wind in the Willows, I think is a decent fit. Yeah, animals with lots of personality.

Whether or not the next set of issues will be as good is hard to say. But the first 6 are worth a look in a trade.

Oh, I should also add that part of the reason I've soured on Abnett is because he came off like such a jerk when he went public on his split with Andy Lanning.

I sort of recall a news article that said it wasn't working, but I don't recall it getting nasty. "Today Dan Abnett released revenge plots of Andy Lanning onto the internet. 'Look at the derivative plot devices!' cackled Abnett."

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Sarcasm Kid #875068 11/04/15 06:29 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Don't get me wrong: I'd dig a book about the Groovy 70s Titans set in a classic Earth-1 continuity.

A book about the characters trying to restore their past continuity and somehow trying to mesh it with the rest of the current DCU holds no interest for me.

Sarcasm Kid #875080 11/04/15 08:36 PM
Thoth, it's true that the split didn't get nasty, but I felt Abnett came across as a cold-hearted bastard. Lanning has kept quiet, which I feel was the classy thing to do.

Fanfic Lady #875260 11/06/15 05:44 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thoth, it's true that the split didn't get nasty, but I felt Abnett came across as a cold-hearted bastard. Lanning has kept quiet, which I feel was the classy thing to do.

To me it came across as someone trying to show that a breakup was the best thing for them.

Abnett: So, it's worked out just fine for me.
thoth: yeah.
Abnett: It wasn't working and now I've got all this space and...and...freedom.
thoth: uh huh.
Abnett: Lots of ideas. lots of them. Now I've moved on.
thoth: great
Abnett: And I feel great pitching all these ideas to my many new creative partners and publishers. Lots of them.
thoth: That's my pint you're crying in Abnett. >thump<

Sarcasm Kid #875524 11/09/15 04:36 AM
I think we'll have to agree to disagree. A creative partnership of nearly 20 years isn't something to be brushed off, IMO.

Sarcasm Kid #875937 11/12/15 12:25 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I don't think he was brushing it off. I think he *thought* he was giving the impression of brushing it off, while coming across as a bit hurt and upset at the breakup. Just over-keen to show that he was strong and moving on. Comics couples aren't any different from any other couple I guess smile

Sarcasm Kid #876001 11/13/15 01:00 AM
Like I said, agree to disagree.

Sarcasm Kid #885571 01/17/16 09:05 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
http://www.comicosity.com/exclusive-preview-titans-hunt-4/

Annnnnnnd just like that I love Dan Abnett.

Sarcasm Kid #885606 01/18/16 05:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I REALLY want to like this series BUT since I'm not reading much in the DC52, I'm not really following the characters well. I do read Grayson (and Dick hasn't changed much) but Garth and Donna are just complete strangers to me.
I'm hoping that the plot comes together because right now I'm finding it a bit too erratic.

Myg - Andy S #885613 01/18/16 08:14 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
I REALLY want to like this series BUT since I'm not reading much in the DC52, I'm not really following the characters well. I do read Grayson (and Dick hasn't changed much) but Garth and Donna are just complete strangers to me.
I'm hoping that the plot comes together because right now I'm finding it a bit too erratic.

You just described how Donna's been handled for the past year in Wonder Woman.

Sarcasm Kid #885841 01/20/16 11:55 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
So Mr. Twister has definitely got a Freddy Krueger vibe going on and I am loving it.

Sarcasm Kid #895081 04/20/16 12:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So I went today to the comics shop just to pick this up. In the last few months, that feeling that I used to have when I went to the shop to see how the Titans were (as if we were friends).

And this is issue #7. The build up to cohesion has been slow (WAY slow), and I don't have a lot of faith in all the characters getting time to shine through the series finale. It's been mostly centered on Donna, Garth and Dick ... with Roy and Lilith leading the B team. Some good points (Gnaark is WAY more compelling than he's ever been but that bar was low).

Sarcasm Kid #897139 05/18/16 02:33 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
So, apparently this is the last page of Titans Hunt... Wally?

Attached Images TitansHuntLastPage.jpg

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Sarcasm Kid #898317 05/31/16 03:19 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yes, Wally.

The Titans Hunt had some interesting points, but the slow build was perhaps TOO slow and the cohesion never quite came together between the core 5 and the B team. Mal and Karen were particularly underdeveloped (he was a dupe; she was pregnant). Hawk and Dove did not fare much better (but they had better developed back stories). Mr. Twister comes across as a much more effective villain than in the past - and better executed than he was in the Secret Origins Teen Titans Special that came out 1000 years ago (it feels like).

In all fairness, the Titans are left in a pretty good place. Garth and Donna are recognizable; Lillith is clearly a force in this version; Gnaark is a person(!).

I'm looking forward to the Titans book!

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Chameleon Boy
Chameleon Boy
RWC, CA USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star