Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/29/24 03:38 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Legion Worlds Four (updated 11 January)
Harbinger #920922 01/21/17 03:11 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
You're very welcome, Harbi. I'm excited to see how you plan to apply the critique in future stories of yours.

Love your honesty, just as you love mine, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the first 7 chapters of my 2nd Retroboot story-arc.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Harbinger #920926 01/21/17 03:17 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I'll get on with it tomorrow, sorry its 215 am here now, but I'll finish writing my review for you tomorrow.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Harbinger #920927 01/21/17 03:24 PM
Wondeful!! Thank you ever so. That'll certainly be a nice way to wrap up the weekend.

Re: Legion Worlds Four (updated 29 January)
Harbinger #921300 01/29/17 03:06 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Investigating invasion of Kardavitia

Element Lad – Team Leader, Jan Arrah of Trom, elemental transmutation
Lightning Lass, Ayla Ranzz of Winath, electrical generation and manipulation
Timber Wolf - Brin Londo of Zuun, enhanced strength, speed, agility, reflexes and senses
Dawnstar - of Starhaven, space flight, incredible speed, tracking
Kid Quantum - Jazmin Cullen of Xanthu, creation of temporal quantum bubbles, flight
The Spear of Artemis - Amynta of Nostos ii, incredible strength, speed, invulnerability, space flight, carries magical weapons.
Karate Kid – Mithindrivithis Ngandraffa of Lythyl, strength, heightened reflexes, mimetic motor learning giving incredible martial skills
Green Lantern - Dkyun Mu of Xudar, wearer of a Green Lantern power ring
Dr Richard Kent Shakespeare -Impulse – Chief medical officer - enhanced strength, speed, durability, stamina

Element Lad materialised in his quarters on Legion World.

"What the,,,?"

The Trommite flew out into the winding corridor... Definitely Legion World! He looked around but it took him several seconds before he believed what his senses had told him. The sphere in the underground cavern had sent him home...

"Uh... Mission Monitor Board... Can you ask Henry to send a warp..."

A holo of Brainiac 5 sprung into existence beside him. Querl appeared to be tapping into a solid light screen in front of him.

"Jan, I assume you've encountered a teleport mechanism on Kardavatia? Lar and Dkyun were returned to us earlier, we sent them back and Lar once again fell foul of the trap and it seems we are unable to open warps anywhere near that location now. I've tried to contact the team you were leading but whatever is blocking Henry is stopping the quark relay...."

"Prime a cruiser Querl, we'll...."

"Unfortunately we doubt that will succeed. After Lar returned Henry warped him 4 light minutes beyond the Kardavatian Oort cloud. He couldn't enter the system. I believe whatever you faced there has managed to create a shield that resonates with the Legionnaires it has encountered, thereby..."

"So have one of the Senior Team lead a team then Brainy, damn it! We need to make sure our friends are safe."

"Already done Jan, they left twelve minutes ago. Henry warped the cruiser to just outside the Oort cloud and forty seconds later they reappeared unhurt in orbit around Earth. I'm sorry to say our colleagues will need to deal with this situation without further assistance from us."

"okay.... thank you Querl." The team leader took a deep breath before asking his next question. "Is Amynta here? She was engulfed in the strange cloud at the same time as I was."

"No... ah... this is strange... her flight ring shows she is now on Nostos ii."

Ayla Ranzz turned to Dr Shakespeare and said:

"I hope you know what you're doing.... This is a breach of every Legion Protocol."

"I'm overriding them... On medical grounds, sorry Ayla but we're leaving this planet now. Call the cruiser down to pick us up."

"Hey, you're not your fella y'know... And what medical grounds exactly?"

"'Cause if we don't leave soon we'll likely die Ayla and that's a condition I cant cure... will that do? The cruiser, please..."

"If you're wrong...." Lightning Lass floated further up into the air and held her hand up to her mouth and spoke into her flight ring.

"Sir... The crowd are leaving. Shall I endeavour to persuade them to stay here where we can protect them." Karate Kid had approached the doctor and pointed to the people leaving the park.

"Oh don't worry, they're going to be okay... We can't do anything for them anyway."

"Guys, we have some real trouble!" Timber Wolf shouted as he bounded into view, behind him Kid Quantum tried to keep up though looked exasperated as she flew full pelt behind the Zuunian athlete.

"It's alright Brin, we're just leaving..." Kent said as he hovered unsteadily in the air.

"We've lost Jan and 'Mynta doc so I don't think so... Hey! Ayla with Jan missing you're the senior Legionnaire present so what d'you think?"

"Listen Brin," the Legion's doctor began "... did you ever go on a picnic as a child, yeah? You remember what your parents did when an ant climbed onto the blanket? The first time they probably gently put it back on the grass... and maybe the next couple too, before they started to flick them without any consideration... eh, you with me? And then what did you do if those pesky ants came back? It's not too far a stretch to think you'd perhaps begin to stand on them... you get where I'm at? We're the ants in this scenario in case you missed that part and those 'ships' ...well, if that's what they really are... have big spheres inside them that so far have been putting us back in the grass... I don't know about you but I'd rather not get flicked away, let alone trod upon."

Timber Wolf stared at Kent with his jaw open. Whatever he had been away to say to rebuff the doctor was forgotten as he thought through what he had just heard. The hirsute Legionnaire started to growl.

"Legionnaires...." the Xudarian Green Lantern, Dkyun Mu's voice surprised the team. They looked up and saw her swooping down towards them with Dawnstar just behind. "We must leave now. This is not as it appears."

"Cruisers coming... Get ready gang." Lightning Lass pointed to the approaching spaceship, having left the automatic circuit it had been patrolling in the upper atmosphere.

Within twenty seconds they had all, apart from Dawnstar, gotten on board and Ayla had given the command to the crafts AI to take them ten light seconds from the planet. Twenty seconds later the sleek craft arrived in its new orbit.

"So what's going in Dkyun?"

"The Green Lantern Corps have met this species before... Three times in almost a billion years." her teammates were stunned by this announcement, "First time was in Sector 64 and they were seen swimming in the corona of a Red Giant star... Then sixty million years years later again spotted around the edges of the Great Drifting Darkstar of Sector 2,039.. the Corps never felt any concern about them at that point. Then, twenty five million years ago, we had to intervene. The Sgargrathi Confederation of Sector 1,887 were truly fearsome warriors that had ruthlessly annexed over fifty star systems in under a decade of gaining translight travel. Their entire fleet was disabled by the two spheres that protected these... Beings. The Confederation had discovered them between two systems they controlled and attemped to attack. The Corps believe these... things are children... Of sorts. Enormous, strange and immensley powerful cosmic children that travel the universe without initiating contact or showing any real interest in other life forms as they go."

"And they're playing hide and seek here... And we interrupted their game." Dr Shakespeare said, nodding to himself as he spoke.

"I'm unsure of the game but two of this species took forty Lanterns and three Guardians to dissuade them from totally obliterating the Sgargrathi. I can only suggest we do what we are able to limit any damage they may cause and protect any innocents caught in the crossfire. I do not believe the Legion or the Corps have enough power these days to stop them entirely."

"Grife... They've been playing with us all this time"

"No Brin Londo, we joined in with their game, they didn't invite us to. If I understand this correctly the larger craft-being above has tracked the other and has only just found it. it id my belief they shall most likely be leaving soon."

"Well, with the scans reconfigured to ignore the simulations I found it doesn't look like there's any life on this world. Everyone down there is part of the disguise it created to hide... Wow! That's amazing technology... They fooled the United Planets... the Coluans!"

"And that explains the planets draconian immigration policies." Kid Quantum said almost casually as she stared at the screens. "Do any of you think there's ever a colony there? That's serious camouflage."

"Look!" Karate Kid pointed towards the view screen which was currently focussed on the planets surface.

As they watched the ground for several klicks around the city started to shake and tear. Loose earth, boulders and mud poured off the sides of the sister craft of the one in orbit tore itself from the ground it had lain in. The city they had recently been to appeared to shrink as it was absorbed into the top of the monstrous craft. Beams of light sprang from dozens of points along its length that flared up towards the craft in high orbit. These were mirrored back in an increasingly frantic flurry of energy.

There was a tremendous burst of light and the two enormous beings the green Lantern had called Cosmic Children were gone.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Harbinger #921301 01/29/17 03:08 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Invisible Kid sat in his apartment holding an old fashioned 2D picture of his family in his hands.

Danielle had refused to speak to him and asked the computers to block any attempts he made to locate her. When he had approached Tinya about this she had suggested Jacques give his sister a day or two before trying again. He knew it made sense but couldn't help but feel angry that his beloved sister would treat him in such a cold manner. Even Glorith had said she didn't know where Danielle was, and though Jacques suspected that the shy mystic may have been lying he hadn't tried pursuing it any further.

And now two days later Jacques approached Querl's laboratory in the hope that the Coluan genius would help him reconcile with Danielle.

"I haven't spoken to her today." Querl said not looking up from a hard light screen as Jacques approached him.

"Querl... Mon ami, I 'ave come to apologise..."

"Yes, I somehow thought you might." Brainiac 5 said absently.

" My outburst..."

"Was the result of your over protection of your more than capable and intelligent sister. Yes, I do understand, now if you don't mind I have a rather important piece of work to attend to."

"Querl... I am truly sorry." Invisible Kid stood before the Coluan genius without moving, waiting for a response.

It was a long ten seconds later that Querl Dox closed the screen and looked up at his Terran teammate.

"Jacques... Do you not think I hadn't considered Danielle's safety? Really? I'm disappointed in you. I've done everything within my gift to keep her secure, and your outburst... Well, you insult me. I'd have expected that from Drake or perhaps Brin or one of the juniors, but from you? Someone I considered a genuine friend?" he paused to reopen the screen he'd been reading. "Danielle... She will be fine. Izor and Babbage and Glorith are there for her at all times. Harmonia and I are here for her whenever she wants or needs us. The whole team and support crew are. Why aren't you prepared to be the same?"

"I... I am sorry. You are right Querl. Danielle iz... She iz smart enough to know ze risks involved and 'er friends are all supporting 'er while I 'ave acted as an ass. I am sorry. Mon ami, please accept my apology."

"I'm not the one you should apologise to, I understand your concerns perfectly... my friend. When you next speak with your sister I suggest you make sure she understands that you have had a considerable change of heart. She is incredibly strong willed and you have greatly upset her, which is never a good combination in these sort of situations I've found. Now excuse me, I do have urgent work to complete."

Harbinger #921302 01/29/17 03:09 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
The Spear of Artemis found herself standing in her grandmother's kitchen.

She took a second to breathe in the smells of cooking... A stew and fresh bread with cardomom. Her grandmothers comfort food. The smell had so many memories. Happier times...

"Amynta!" Glykeria had walked into the room as her granddaughter had reminisced. For a long second the two women stared at each other.

The elderly Amazon wiped the water that had pooled in her eyes away. Amynta would not appreciate tears, her granddaughter always was a warrior at heart with little time for the softer side of human nature so would not be particularly grateful for her grandmothers tears of gratitude at seeing her again.

After the Spear of Artemis had been lost in a strange trans-dimensional warp the Legion's Elemental, Harmonia Li, had returned here in person to tell the elderly Amazon about her granddaughters disappearance and to reassure Glykeria with promises that the Legion were doing everything in their power to return Amynta. Despite these reassurances and kind words Glykeria had believed in her heart of hearts that she would never see Amynta again.

"Grandmother...." the warriors face split into a wide grin, "I've missed you...." as Amynta finished the older Amazon stepped forward and wrapped her arms around her granddaughter in a tight hug. It took a second before her granddaughter reciprocated, nestling her face in the older woman's hair. They stood silent for several more seconds before Amynta started laughing. Glyceria stepped back and looked up at Amyntas face with a huge smile.

"I thought you were gone forever.... Oh Amynta, I'm so happy to see you, I... Are you...?"

"Grandmother.... Please, of course I am okay, I've just been away for a little adventure, that's all." The Spear of Artemis wiped the tears that now ran from her grandmothers eyes with gentle strokes. "You must know we Amazons are not easily dispatched..." she said softly. As he grandmother looked up at her face Amynta turned away and said, "I must contact my teammates, we were on a mission."

The Spear of Artemis held her flight ring up to her mouth.

"Legion World...."

A holo fizzed and crackled before finally showing the Coluan genius Brainiac 5. He looked mildly bored.

"Your flight ring shows you are on Nostos ii, is this correct?"

"Yes.... I am in my grandmothers house."

"Henry will send a warp when we have time, I estimate 1/24th so stay close by." and with that the holo abruptly faded out.

"He is not the politest specimen..." Amynta said as she turned back to her grandmother.

They moved over to a low couch under a window full of pots of fine smelling herbs that glowed in the warm light of the morning sun and sat next to each other; Glykeria took Amynta's hand and squeezed it tightly. Over the next hour they spoke with each other, happy to listen as much as talk as they exchanged their news. Amynta, unsurprisingly, had more to discuss.

"In our reality Queen Diana... Before the destruction of Thermyscira forced her to become Queen.... She fought amongst the heroes of Men's World for over two centuries. In the reality were I found myself the Paradise Island was never destroyed. Their Justice League was never dismantled by the corrupt World Government. They remained... In one form or another, through to the modern era."

"Queen Diana...?"

"She fought until the mid-23rd century when her step daughter Princess Donna took over as Wonder Woman. The Justice League and then the Justice Legion have had at least one Amazon in their ranks almost continuously for over a thousand years now."

"Has your time in that far reality made you think we were wrong to leave Earth and cut ties with the Mans World?"

"I think.... While I was over in the other realm... Their Amazon's are more integrated, more aware of the matters that affect the many worlds of Humanity. They are not so distant..."

"You feel we are isolated?"

Amynta shook her head and stood up.

"There are things we need to discuss grandmother but this is not one of them... While I was over there I... I've met someone Grandmother, who... You always said when I meet the right one I would know... And I knew...." Almost shyly, the warrior turned her head towards the floor. "I could have stayed, I wanted to, only...."

"Please tell me you didn't come back because of me? Oh Amynta! You idiot!"

"You are part of the reason, yes. But I have my duty..."

"... To yourself Amynta, a duty to yourself! Oh my darling girl, you must ensure your heart is full or you won't have strength to fight the battles life makes us fight... you know that. We Amazons may be warriors but we aren't without compassion. We need to allow love into our lives. Even as one of the Spears of the Pantheon that have guided us for Millenia you know that."

"I was the youngest Spear in our history..." Amynta gave a small laugh as she spoke.

"Tell me about the one who has your heart, tell me what happened please." Glykeria smiled broadly as she asked, tapping her hand on her granddaughters as she did.

"Her name is Aeolina Ana Gomez... Mosteressa... She's a shapeshifter. She runs their Academy programme like a drill sergeant. A clever woman... you would love to talk to her... she has a way with words... we met and for a month I trained beside her when the League did not have us on missions, then one night we were alone together and she opened up to me and I finally understood what you and our Priestesses had been telling me...." Amynta smiled again as she shared her memories.

"I have not seen you smile like that since you were a small child, I would indeed enjoy meeting your Aeolina." As she spoke Glykeria watched as the smile left her granddaughters face. "What is it?"

"Our leaders have arranged for the warp between the worlds to open again, but not for another year."

"That is not so long my dear granddaughter... You will see the woman who holds your heart again."

"And then what grandmother...? Do I join her and give up my Spear, or...?"

"Or....or nothing Amynta my darling girl. You will find out in a year when the warp opens again. And until then you will be the best damn Spear our distant isolated world has known and you will show the outside worlds that we are fierce and honest and strong and heroic... And it was their loss that we retreated to this world, not ours."

Amynta turned and hugged her grandmother again just as Henry's warp opened into the kitchen behind the two women.

Harbinger #921406 01/31/17 01:22 AM
Hi, Harbi,

Happy to say I enjoyed these three new installments that you've posted since I put in my 2p of your most recent work.

It appears to me that you've already begun to apply the critiques to your work. Because even though the first installment seemed to be either the climax or the prelude-to-the-climax of a plot thread, I had no trouble following it and found it engaging and intriguing. Those "Cosmic Children" sound like Validus only a thousand times worse. I also liked the way that they're a once-in-3-billion-years kind of event.

LOVED the conversation between Querl & Jacques, which is saying a lot considering that I've always been wary of Jacques for a variety of reasons, chiefly that I still believe he was a deliberate Claremont/X-Men riff on Levitz's part. But you wrote him so that I actually liked him. Good show.

And Amynta -- I remember how much I adored this original character of yours back when you introduced her in LW2. That you would expand on her backstory with a warm, character-rich vignette is a real treat.

(Would you consider a "solo mini-series" thread for Amynta and the Amazons of your universe?)

Harbinger #921479 02/01/17 02:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Cosmic Children are so strange, as is their history's very long timeline. It's a good reminder of how varied and exotic the universe must be - and how little we know of it.

I loved how Hadru smiled when the Chemoids appeared; I could almost feel him flexing his powers at this challenge. And Comet King's response was perfect, he's still got the Comet lingo, but his very serious tone comment communicates that this isn't fun and games.

The scene with Jacques and Brainy was quite moving. I'd just heard this morning about a man who had a fight with his mother, never talked to her again and now she's died - so Jacques' desire to patch things up with his sister really hit home.

This family break is balanced by Amynta's reunion with her grandmother, however brief. Bread with cardamom! What a great scent for Amynta to come home to.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Harbinger #921486 02/01/17 10:28 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I LOVE the Cosmic Children! What an awesome concept! laugh also really liked Brainy's talk with Jacques...I like that Brainy considers Jacques a close friend, he doesn't have that kind of relationship with a lot of Legionnaires. Downtime with Amynta was well done too, it's cool seeing what she's like outside of team interactions smile

Re: Legion Worlds Four (updated 2 February)
Harbinger #921491 02/02/17 04:29 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Good will mission to visit the Rim Systems

Sun Boy – Deputy Leader, Dirk Morgna of Earth, generation of intense light and heat
Chameleon Boy – Espionage Squad leader, Reep Daggle of Durla, shape changer
Otaki - Bina Nawoti of Earth, mindsense
Lexikon - Princess Daheenisha of Tamara iv, enhanced speed, strength, durability, flight, omni-linguist
M’Windaji - Gahaji of Kiringyaga, super tracker, carries the Ruby of Life allowing tactile transformative magicks
Retro - Deen Toro of Ventura, limited reversal of personal timeline.
Atom Girl - Sylva Nrilsan of Imsk, can shrink herself to microscopic size

guest : Cassanda of Kiringyaga

Nordhelm

Encyclopaedia Galactica - Settled in 2650 by northern Europeans who wished to return to a pre-hi tech culture, Nordhelm is often referred to as "the Planet of the Vikings". The planet circles a Red Dwarf star called Wotan's Eye by the locals and is almost 25/75 split between land and sea, with the southern hemisphere being entirely ocean and the northern being dominated by a single super-continent that straddles the north pole. The planetary gravity is 1.85 standard so is offputting for casual visitors. Although modern technology is used on this world by the natives, and it has two usable space ports, the majority of the planetary population are employed in traditional roles such as fishermen, farmers, artisans and craftsmen. The world's governing body is overseen by a triumvirate who claim to be the descendants of an ancient sky deity. They have 12 personal guards, called the Valkyri, and the Great Challenge, held whenever one of the sisterhood is set to retire, where the Valkeri battle to stay in their roles is often referred to as one of the Great Combat Events of the Galaxy. This week-long festival is always attended by huge crowds from off world. During this week long festival visitors are warned to be on their guard as the usual propriety and good will shown to them can be lost as alcohol and stim consumption increases tenfold amongst the local populace. Nordhelm is believed to be the birthplace of the meta-villain known as Sugyn, though there has never been official confirmation of this.

The flight from Lallor to Nordhelm would take ten hours and Sun Boy had insisted they all rested.

As they approached the distant planet Sun Boy once again reminded the team as they assembled on the command deck that they were purely on a good will tour. He didn't want any dramas or scenes while they were down there. Atom Girl grinned broadly, excited at the opportunity to visit another planet. Retro sat beside Dirk as he piloted the cruiser in towards one of the two orbiting space stations with docking facilities, a surprisingly sleek satellite called Huginn.

As the shuttle took the team down to planets surface the pilot asked if they were here for the Great Challenge as if they were they were a week too late. Chameleon Boy spoke with him for the duration of the forty minute flight after that smoothly getting as much information as he could. As he did the Durlan used the flight ring generated telepathic relay to let the team know what they were away to encounter planetside. The culture held by the natives meant ritual combat events could be used to settle disputes and legal matters. Reep was slightly worried when he noticed Lexikon's smile.

As it was, there were only about two dozen locals waiting to see the Legionnaires disembark from the shuttle and one rather apologetic government official who explained that they had arrived on a day that the ruling triumvirate couldn't be disturbed... Even for the Legion! Chameleon Boy and Sun Boy made light of it and smiled broadly. Reep gave a display of his shape changing for the small crowd as the junior team gave autographs and holos.

Twenty minutes later they were in an air car flying over a stone built city with curling cobbled. Ahead of them a large stone citadel rose out of the surrounding town.

"Adventures ahoy!" Retro said loudly, making Otaki, M'Windaji and Atom Girl laugh. Sun Boy smiled broadly.

They were taken into the citadel through a small wooden door on the outer wall, away from the busy, crowd filled market place that they have flown over to reach this far wall.

The corridors were empty, with only the pilot acting as their guide. Reep's antennae twitched, this was not how they expected to be treated... Was there something going on that they hadn't been warned about? He exchanged a look with Dirk, but Sun Boy just smiled and nodded, apparently very happy with their circumstances. Lexikon strode alongside the senior team members, her head held high, unphased by their strangely subdued arrival to the citadel. Reep tried not to look at her too much but knew that Dirk had clocked his glances; the Tamarean Princess had a natural grace and confidence that attracted Chameleon Boy like no other member of his team had in all his years with them. Dirk had figured out the Durlan's attraction to the Tamarean princess and only hoped his friend knew what he could potentially be getting into; for all her friendliness it was fairly obvious that she had someone else on her mind.

They were led up a ramp towards a large wooden door, closed shut with a hefty bolt. The pilot struggled to shift it, resisting Lexikon's offer to help. The door creaked as it finally opened and the pilot, with a subdued smile on his face motioned the Legionnaires to enter.

Sun Boy thanked him and strode confidently through. Behind him Otaki and Chameleon Boy followed with Lexikon behind.

"Not too ominous...." Atom Girl said quietly to Retro as she stepped forward.

"Stay close, I'll rewind if it's a trap." he replied.

Behind them Cassandra sniggered, "...oh the legendary bravery of you Legionnaires." she teased as Gahaji laughed.

Harbinger #921492 02/02/17 04:30 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
The banqueting hall was enormous!

Before them a mighty table ran alone the outside of the room with easily five hundred people sat around the outside of it. They wore heavy woollen clothing and cloaks so it was difficult to guess their ages or genders. There were waiting staff rushing around with trays while those sat ate their fill. at the far end a raised Dias had three people sat on ornated thrones; two men with a woman between them. The rafters above were barely visible though Atom Girl could see the guard patrolling walkways at either side high above them.

As they approached the table many of the guests at the banquet stopped talking and turned towards them.

"Greetings!" Sun Boy said loudly.

From the far end the woman on the dias stood up and smiled broadly, her arms went wide as if to hug the legionnaires.

"Dearest guests.... We have expected you, be welcome to this feast." she looked around at the guests sat along the table, "And may all here join in with me in ensuring your brief stay on our ice-clad world is warm and safe." There was a moments silence before she continued, "I an Queen Throoth and I offer my humble home for you to use as you see fit. Now please... Join my regal brothers and I here..." she pointed towards the seats at the side of the dias, "... And enjoy our humble fare."

"Your majesty, thank you" Sun Boy bowed before smiling broadly.

As the team walked down the side aisle they could see the shock on the faces of everyone they passed; while the Queen had expected them it was obvious she hadn't shared that information. Dirk nodded and smiled and said his hello's as he led the team towards their seats.

Queen Throoth introduced her brothers Magni and Modi who remained in their seats, both were obviously powerfully built, even for the norm of their people. Flinty eyed they smiled with little warmth as Sun Boy reciprocated.

During the meal Dirk and the Queen spoke as if they were old friends, which didn't surprise any of his teammates though drew glances and whispered conversations from the crowds sat along the table. Retro spoke to an old man sat immediately next to him and learned that Dirk had contacted this world before they reached Lallor and this had allowed the Queen and her brothers time to summon their court to attend this meal. The old man laughed in his beard as he explained that as Modi's personal advisor he was one of only three dozen people that had known about the Legionnaires visit before they had walked through the doors at the end of the hall. The Queen, he admitted, had a sense of the dramatic about her. Chameleon Boy was sat at the other end of the line of Legionnaires chatting to a couple who, by the jewellery they wore, were obviously senior within the royal court. They both reported later to their awed friends and neighbours that the Durlan Legionnaire was surprisingly cultured and urbane.

After food had been finished and the serving staff and cleared the tables and given the guests a goblet of clear wine the lights dimmed slowly until only the raised dias was lit.

"Dear friends and honoured guests..." Queen Throoth stood up from her throne with serpentine grace, her smile broad, "As you are aware last week we held our Challenge as Sister Brunhilde had left us...." here she artfully wiped her eye, "So, we must now welcome our newest Vakyri, as is our tradition. I bid you all stand and applaud as we are joined by our newest sister of the sword, Astrild!" As the Queen finished a drum roared across the hall beating a menacing tattoo.

A spotlight shone into the centre of the floor in the middle of the feasting tables and a tall blonde and heavily muscled woman wearing a long fur cloak confidently strode into the circle of light. the room erupted with cheers and banging of goblets on the tables.

After the applause had died down the Queen spoke again.

"As is our tradition, this is the Final Challenge to our newest brave Valkyri... any challenges to Astrild must be made now or forever left behind in this moment." The room fell deathly silent and the guests all looked around to see if anyone would offer such a challenge.

After several excited seconds the Queen spoke again, "Thank you dear friends and esteemed guests, " her eyes twinkled with mischief as she continued, "...though perhaps as a good will gesture one of our most honoured guests from the mighty Legion may want to spar with her? In friendly combat, of course..."

Once again, the room erupted!

"I will. I am Princess Daheenisha of Tamara iv, heir of the Tahill Estates and called Lexikon of the Legion within the greater galaxy. It is an honour to represent my Royal family and friends from the Legion as I accept this challenge!"

As the Legionnaire stood up her teammates each sent a telepathic message.

<What the hell are you doing?> Sun Boy sent.
<Sit down! We are here to make friends not fight> Chameleon Boy added.
<I'd make sure there are rules in place first if I were you> M'windaji offered.
<You sure you wanna do this? She is awfully confident...> Otaki joined in.
<Hope you know what you're doing as I can't take this back> Retro concluded.
<Go Lexi!> Atom Girl cheered.

As the cheering raged on the Tamarean smiled to the crowds.

<This culture uses combat as a mediator, much like my own. If we expect to be respected we need to use this opportunity to our advantage. I am more than willing to accept this challenge, unless one of you would like to do this instead?>

Harbinger #921493 02/02/17 04:31 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
As the Legionnaire had accepted the challenge she could choose weapons: Lexikon asked that it was hand to hand combat, no weapons.

The Nordhelm residents appeared impressed by her choice and the Queen had agreed. They were each given ten minutes to get ready in which time Chameleon Boy and M'Windaji took their Tamaran teammate aside to a small room with heavy ornate drapes on the walls.

"Here's scan results...." Gahaji raised his and and his flight ring projected a miniature holo of the Valkyri. "If you look here...." the tracker pointed to the warrior woman's armour, "there are gaps across here, and... Whoah... check the read out, it seems she's enhanced. Her body density points to strength and durability."

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Reep asked gently.

"We are here to make friends... This culture is similar to my own, strength and bravery are important, so were I to recant now we would lose all credibility in their eyes. Anyway, I have been trained in combat since I was three years old by the Okaarans and am hardly a weakling so this will be interesting for us all."

Chameleon Boy could tell Lexikon was not impressed by her teammates lack of support, but he worried that even with the best of intentions they could upset their hosts and lose the credibility that she had just mentioned.

Outside in the great hall the guests had gotten up from their seats and were milling about; the Legionnaires getting a lot of attention as they were asked about their surprise visit and Lexikon's abilities. Wagers were being set and much was made of the Legionnaire's natural ability to fly. Atom Girl tried to whip up support for her teammate to little avail, the locals had the upmost faith in their champions skills, much to her chagrin.

Sun Boy and Cassanda spoke with Queen Throoth and her brothers, the senior Legionnaire was obviously unimpressed by her manipulation while Gahaji's wife tried to keep him calm. the Queen's brothers looked bored.

An old man in deep purple robes tapped Retro on the shoulder.

"Chrono- manipulation... That's your ability isn't it?" he smiled as he asked, though it was obvious he already knew the answer.

"Uh... Yes, that's right."

"I have some skills in that area too, its a rare skill. My Queen values my opinions as often the future makes no sense until it arrives in the present, don't you find?"

Retro nodded, his mouth suddenly too dry to speak.

Around them the crowds pushed as they made their ways to rest rest room and local comm stands before the combat started. Retro realised that the crowds avoided the old man, respectfully stepping out of the way. He was clearly someone of stature, despite the rather tatty cloak he wore.

"You need to listen to me now boy..." The old man's tone turned serious, "You need to know that your organisation has a battle coming, not against the meta criminals that usual plague you... You must be careful around those you trust. Be careful of the leaders and ministers, the priests and politicians that you rely on as they have not all been telling truth. Your Coluan colleague needs to know this, young time-spinner, you must tell him that you have seven old weeks from tomorrows evening until they will try to stop you. Are you listening? Your stealthy new world has a traitor on board so they will know your every step... and make no mistake, despite their promises they are coming for you."

"Tell me... What is going to happen?" Deen's voice croaked.

"They have neutralised those that could warn you but their mind poison doesn't reach out this far...They can't block my sight. Tell your green friend that ...and you have fifty days to prepare."

There was a moment of silence between them as Retro thought about what he had just been told.

"One more thing... If you survive against those you will be betrayed on the dark planet and lose one of your guiding lights. Your path has dark twists Legionnaire. That is all I can tell you... All I've seen. You must make sure your green friend hears. Promise me...." the old man suddenly sounded scared.

The lights of the great hall started to dim and a loud bass drum to beat. The crowds jostled back to their seats in anticipation of the completion that was away to start.

Retro took the old mans hand and squeezed it tightly.

"Thank you, we will listen to your counsel."

"Hey Deen...." Atom Girl approached Retro from behind and prodded him in the ribs making him wince and turn, "You coming? It's away to start. Lexikon needs some of the crowd to cheer for her." Retro turned to his teammate and gave a tight smile.

"Yeah... In a mo Sylva, thanks..." Retro turned back towards the old seer but he was gone, lost in the crowd.

The crowd let out a loud roar as Lexikon strode comfortably onto the floor.

The Tamarean princess stopped in the centre and casually ran her hands through her long saffron hair, all the while calmly turning around while making eye contact with the crowd of locals. They bayed at her though many seemed cowed by her confidence and by the time she had turned fully around they were considerably less vocal against her. As she faced the Queen and her colleagues at the top table Princess Daheenisha gave a sly smile and bowed her head respectfully.

After she had enjoyed 30 seconds of attention from the crowd her opponent, the Valkyri Astrild walked out into the floor. Behind her marched her Sisters of the Sword, the eleven other of her order. Each looked solidly built with an easy confidence that only the truly fierce could carry off. The crowd went ballistic, their cheers echoing off the distant ceiling.

Queen Throoth stood up on her dais. It took several seconds for the crowd to stop roaring. "The Valkyri and our friends the Legionnaires are witness to this wrestling match, as is our tradition, to judge that all will be fair and honourable between the combatants." she looked towards Lexikon and Astrild before she continued, "Here are my rules, this match is not for blood. We wish to enjoy this event so please do not break too many bones or slay each other." the crowd grumbled at this edict though none argued outright.

"... so... On my mark... Begin!"

Harbinger #921494 02/02/17 04:40 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Thanks for your kind words above, greatly appreciated.

There'll be more of Death Boy's story next time as well as the conclusion to this part of Sun Boy and team's trip to the Viking planet.

Sorry FL, no plans for an Amazon miniseries though I may slip in a bit more of Amynta soon for you.

Cramer; fresh bread with cardomom, I can vouch it's totally delicious! A friend had a bread maker given as an Xmas present last year and she experiments a lot with it and that was one of the successes.

Raz, someone ought o be Brainy's friend so Jacques was given that particular honour smile

More soon.

Harbinger #921542 02/02/17 11:51 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Love Lexikon taking on the opportunity to fight, I'm imagining Starfire doing the same and the rest of the Titans having the same aghast reactions laugh

Should be fun to see how she fares - also I like a good prophetic warning, look forward to seeing where that goes Harbi!

Harbinger #921744 02/08/17 04:52 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Its been a very long time since i've had the chance to comment and so much has happened in your world Harbinger and i'm loving every minuet of it.

I like that you had some of the Justice Legion cross over and stay. I'm happy to have Jenni back though and glad she's found someone. i do find it funny that its Cos's little brother, even if he is from another reality.

Also love that you decided to make their meetings an annual thing. kind of like the silver age team ups. Makes curious as to who else we'll meet from over there.

I also think "Death Boy's story is coming along nicely. i hope he isn't a villain after this though. i understand his distrust but i can't blame the Legion for being cautious. Comet King acknowledging that it was too easy was very foreboding.

a game of hide and seek...but something tells me this isn't the last we've seen of these ancient entities. ELad's team did well and they tried to fight hard.

Tinya and Lydda not liking eachother was so real. sometimes people just don't gel and you made it realistic how that small bit of tension/non tension as Lydda was slightly oblivious to it and wrapped in her own world.

Mon'el's warp frustrations were kind of funny to me. Maybe because he kept trying.

Dirks's away teams is also interesting and i can't wait to see where that leads. Lallor is wicked sketchy and now this prophecy Retro received just makes it more so. it makes me think this new world is in on whatever Lallor is up to.

LExicon in battle should be fun and i hope thats it.

I'm curious of the other worlds they will visit.
The Spear of Artimis' scene was really well done. Now that's she's back i look forward to getting to see more of her and getting to know her.

I can't wait for more!

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Harbinger #921747 02/08/17 05:31 AM
Hey, Omni, welcome back, it's wonderful to see you posting in Bits again!

And, Harbi, I plan to have read and commented on your most recent block of posts, about the goodwill mission, by tomorrow night.

Harbinger #921789 02/08/17 12:00 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Thanks Omni, I'm really glad to see you're back with us, hopefully you'll be adding more to your stories too as I've really missed your cadets.

Cosmic Kid isn't Pol, he's Po, sorry for any confusion, though its understandable. I've got plans for him soon so you'll see the difference once you read it.

Glad you liked the annual meeting, it is definitely a nod towards the Silver Age.

More Lexikon soon, and a hopefully unexpected twist in Loutrahim's story.

Glad you're back Omni, and thanks again for your kind words.

Harbinger #921806 02/09/17 12:52 AM
On the Nordheim scenes:

Love the tie-in with Sugyn from the Devil's Dozen! What a nice little Easter Egg.

Nice to see Dirk continuing to mature, and that it feels organic and fully consistent with what came as canon before your own continuity.

Satellite Huginn -- it only took me a few seconds to connect the name with one of Odin's twin ravens. Another lovely Easter Egg!

Lexikon's Tamareanean to the core, isn't she? I chuckled at the silent bit with Cham and her. Also loved the mixed reactions later on when she takes up the challenge against Astrid (one of my favorite Scandinavian names, because as a pre-adolescent I loved the works of the Swedish children's author Astrid Lindgren. And it so happens that a few days ago, as I was working on a scene between Salu & Ayla, I wrote that Lindgren's writing has endured into the 3000s, and that they both idolized her most famous creation, Pippi Longstocking, when they were little girls. How's that for synchronicity?)

Retro's conversation with the old man was very nice in setting up events to come. Trying to read between the lines of what the old man said, I have a couple of educated guesses as to who the traitor might turn out to be, but I'll keep silent about that.

I do have to say, I particularly enjoyed this pithy observation by the old man:

"...often the future makes no sense until it arrives in the present"

Finally, a suggestion -- perhaps you could include short Who's Who-style profiles of your own creations? I really like Atom Girl, and I'd love to know the essential details about her.

Harbinger #921831 02/09/17 09:43 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Thanks Raquel, glad to hear you're enjoying it so far.

Thank you for your kind words around Dirk, like you he was never a favourite for me so I'm really trying to stretch myself to use him in a convincing but un-misogynistic way.

Astrild (not Astrid, there's an 'l' in there - yes I know they are really the same name but the 'l' makes it sound more aggressive I think) was an Eater Egg you may have missed - supposedly she was the Viking goddess of love - thought that would be cute, given the fight she's away to get into.

And of all my own creations Lexikon remains the one with the least character growth so I've planned this for a while now. Hope you enjoy.

Retro's reaction will be addressed in the next couple of posts as it's going to feed into the bigger, long term plan.

I'm not going to write a who's who guide, sorry but I did something similar when I introduced the latest batch of newbies, and will be adding to their characters as the story proceeds. Atom Girl will get her spot in the light soon, don't worry.

I liked that pithy remark too, it's so obvious it's almost profound smile

Thanks again for your support and taking the time to read this and feedback to me, greatly appreciated. Hopefully there'll be more soon. I've written the next three posts out but want to check and edit them before posting, and I guarantee the ending of the third one will surprise you! (I hope so anyway smile )

Last edited by Harbinger; 02/09/17 09:48 AM.

Harbinger #921838 02/09/17 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Harbinger
Thank you for your kind words around Dirk, like you he was never a favourite for me so I'm really trying to stretch myself to use him in a convincing but un-misogynistic way.

Yeah, one of my greatest regrets of putting the Every-Boot Legion on indefinite hiatus was not getting to tell the story I was setting up for Dirk. In it, he'd have been seduced on Ventura by an alluring member of a cult which managed to manipulate him into joining them. Eventually, the Legion Espionage Squad would discover that the cult was a new iteration of the Dark Circle. But would Dirk have been rescued in the nick of time, or was he past the point of no return? I hadn't quite figured that out yet when I put the story aside, but I'd like to think he would have been saved.

Astrild (not Astrid, there's an 'l' in there - yes I know they are really the same name but the 'l' makes it sound more aggressive I think) was an Eater Egg you may have missed - supposedly she was the Viking goddess of love - thought that would be cute, given the fight she's away to get into.

Ah, OK. That's one of the things I love about Bits, I seem to learn something new every time I read a story in this forum.

And of all my own creations Lexikon remains the one with the least character growth so I've planned this for a while now. Hope you enjoy.

I'm sure I will. Because even though I've never been more than a superficial fan of the Tamaraneans, I already like Lexikon far better than any DCU canon native of that planet.

I'm not going to write a who's who guide, sorry but I did something similar when I introduced the latest batch of newbies, and will be adding to their characters as the story proceeds. Atom Girl will get her spot in the light soon, don't worry.

I totally understand, no worries. And YAY on Sylva's upcoming spotlight!

Also, I found the profiles-slash-introductory sequences that you did in the Legion Worlds Three thread. I hope it's OK if I copy & paste Sylva's here, maybe it'll win her even more new fans:

Atom Girl-

Science police record:
Real name and home planet: Sylva Nrilsan of Imsk

Abilities: Able to shrink herself to microscopic size.

Information: After the murder of Salu Digby two months ago the Imskian High Council ran a competition to find a replacement to apply for Legion membership. Sylva won. She has been on the Academy training course for two weeks now and has shown she has very capable unarmed combat skills and is highly compatible to the team’s ethos on our personality profile.

Recommendations: Accept.

The team had seen the next applicant on Legion World though none had had much interaction with her. They had witnessed her quiet determination at the gym, her thoughtful responses during lecturers, her quick reactions and sensible choices during exercises, yet none could tell you what she was actually like as a person.

“Sylva, hi there.” Phantom Girl began, “How are you? We met last week when I took a training class, do you remember?”

“Of course,” the applicant smiled, “We were studying the tell-tale signs of known transdimensional incursion. It was really interesting.”

“Thank you... so, you’ve been on Legion World for two weeks now. We have your score sheets here and you’ve excelled at everything we’ve thrown at you so far. I don’t think we need to see you in action as we all know you will pass with flying colours so what I’d like to know is what skill you think is most important for a Legionnaire to have, and how does that compare with what you believed before joining the Academy?”

“That’s a ... good question.” She took a breath and glancedat the floor before answering, “Before I started at the Academy I had believed everything the media said was all the Legion was about. Like battling villains and stopping galactic extermination events. All very exciting stuff,” She grinned impishly before continuing, “But what I’ve come to realise is it’s a lot more than that. Within your organisation is the most amazing group of individuals... you are all different yet you stick together, protect each other and those around you. I’ve never thought about the greater message that sends out but now realise that the fighting and saving lives is secondary to the true message you bring.”

“These kids have been rehearsing their answers.” Said Timber Wolf huffily as he leaned back on his chair and put his feet up on the desk.

As the student continued to speak more of the team showed their lost interest in her answer. It was too perfect and didn’t let them see anything of the real person behind the polished student facade.

“So...” Timber Wolf sat forward, interrupting a sentence about the lack of genuine role models that youths had within Galactic media who could truly inspire a change, and asked, “Why do you think you could ever replace Salu?”

There were several gasps from the group and all eyes turned towards him. “Oh c’mon, that’s why she’s here isn’t it?” He turned towards the applicant below and continued, “Salu was a highly respected member of this team, so do you think you are ready to step into her boots?”

“Brin! Apologise now!” Tinya stood up and pointed at the Zuunian.

“No, he’s right...” The applicant’s voice was quiet but they all heard her. Tinya sat down with a scowl, her arms crossed. “Salu Digby was a planetary hero and her death was a body blow to the Imskian people. Those of you from Earth won’t realise what a big deal that is, losing your only hero. I don’t believe I’m here to step in her boots though. They would be too big for me.” She gave a small sad smile, “But maybe, if you allowed me to join you it would go some way towards giving my home world back a sense of hope, maybe inspire the next generation of kids to be heroes in their own rights...”

Vote: accepted to round two.

I've written the next three posts out but want to check and edit them before posting, and I guarantee the ending of the third one will surprise you! (I hope so anyway smile )

Oh, my. Looking forward to the next installments more than ever now. nod

Re: Legion Worlds Four (updated 10 February)
Harbinger #921869 02/10/17 02:40 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Good will mission to visit the Rim Systems - currently on Nordhelm, the Planet of Vikings.

Sun Boy – Deputy Leader, Dirk Morgna of Earth, generation of intense light and heat
Chameleon Boy – Espionage Squad leader, Reep Daggle of Durla, shape changer
Otaki - Bina Nawoti of Earth, mindsense
Lexikon - Princess Daheenisha of Tamara iv, enhanced speed, strength, durability, flight, omni-linguist
M’Windaji - Gahaji of Kiringyaga, super tracker, carries the Ruby of Life allowing tactile transformative magicks
Retro - Deen Toro of Ventura, limited reversal of personal timeline.
Atom Girl - Sylva Nrilsan of Imsk, can shrink herself to microscopic size

guest : Cassanda of Kiringyaga

The new Valkyri Astrild nodded her head towards Lexikon in a show of respect.

The Tamarean Legionnaire didn't need her psychic omni-linguistic ability to read her opponent's body language - the Valkyri was determined to end this fight quickly, to show her skills to the crowd and her Queen, and stop anyone one from thinking she didn't deserve her newly won place amongst the Sisters of the Sword. Lexikon gave a small smile and flicked her fingers at the broad woman opposite, motioning her to hurry up. Astrild smiled broadly back - at least her mouth did, her eyes were definitely not laughing.

The Valkyri strolled around the edge of the space between the long tables, smiling and goading the crowd to cheer louder. Lexikon stood where she was and examined her nails, as if bored already. there were several very loud curses directed her way by the crowd. Princess Daheenisha ignored them with a casual disdain.

As the Valkyri got to within 10 feet of the Legionnaire she sprung and the crowd roared.

Lexikon spun up and twisted, her speed making her a blur as she flew over the diving Valkyri and slammed down into the back of Astrild smashing her solidly onto the stone floor. The Legionnaire gracefully cart wheeled away as her opponent raged to her feet.

Astrild once again charged at Lexikon, this time diving high, in case the Legionnaire tried to fly away. Lexikon ducked and Astrild flew over her though managed to grab a handful of the Tamarean's long saffron hair dragging her off balance. Lexikon twisted and kicked out, striking the Valkyri in the stomach. As her hair was let go Princess Daheenisha back flipped away from the angry Sister of the Sword.

"Coward!" shouted Astrild as the Legionnaire regained her feet.

The Valkyri's taunt drew a laugh from Lexikon. The Legionnaire smiled coldly and nodded in agreement before walking across the cold floor towards her.

The crowd were screaming for blood!

Retro had not joined his colleagues to watch the fight, he didnt mind as he was certain Lexikon would win.

Instead he found the small side room his colleagues had just exited and closed the door behind him. He quickly glanced around to make sure there was no one inside before lifting his hand to his mouth and speaking into his light ring.

"Henry... I need an urgent warp to Professor Dox, quickly please."

There was a two second wait until a honey and violet coloured spinning warp appeared before him. The holo-man appeared and smiled as Retro dived through.

"Deen, I hope this is important."

"Are we secure here Dox?" the new Legionnaire's tone was blunt.

Querl Dox raised an eyebrow and stared at Deen Toro.

"What do you mean? Of course we"re secure, why do you ask?"

"I have something to share with you... And only you. I have learned something you need to know..."

Brainiac 5 didn't speak but instead walked over to a metal door and tapped a twelve digit code ino the lock pad before muttering in Coluan. The security protocols complete the door opened and he walked through. Retro rushed to follow.

Inside was a dimensional tesseract storage unit, the immense space was disorientating after being in the cluttered laboratory.

"I assume you have something important to share?" Querl Dox asked.

Retro tapped his flight ring and a holo sprang up repeating the conversation he'd just had with the old seer on Nordhelm.

"Ah... do not share this Deen, I will consider this information and we shall discus options when you return. Thank you... ."

"Who's the traitor? We need to find out."

"Yes, though I believe you were warned about two. Firstly, one that will lead government forces here, and another on the dark world... I do hope that's not Apokalips... We'll find out soon enough. Now, you should return to Dirks goodwill tour quickly as you will be missed."

With that the Coluan walked back into his laboratory and summoned Henry to return Retro to Nordhelm.

A minute later Retro rushed back to the top table and his teammates. Sun Boy stood beside Quuen Throoth while the other Legionnaires were at the edge of the tables, overlooking the fight. Retro looked around for Atom Girl but couldn't see her immediated, though moments later she appeared behind him.

"Where you been Sylva?"

"Looking for you... So what's happening? Has Lexi won yet?" Atom Girl turned her attention to her Tamaranean colleague in the large open space between the tables.

Harbinger #921870 02/10/17 02:42 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
The two women approached each other.

Astrild threw the first punch which Lexikon easily dodged though while swerved from that that Valkyri kicked out and cracked the Tamaranean on the side of her knee, knocking her off balance. The Valkyri pounced. As she reached the Legionnaire the crowd erupted again.

Lexikon jabbed the Valkyri in the ribs and pushed her other hand under her attackers chin. Astrild punched the Legionnaire on the chest and reached up to grab her face. Lexikon spun, lifting them both into the air. The two women wrapped their legs around each other to gain purchase as they continued to punch into each others torso. They spun in the air, the noise of their blows echoed across the hall. Lexikon slammed Astrild into the floor and straddled her, raining blows into her opponent. The Valkyri's nose burst but she continued to fight, pushing her legs up and wrapping her calfs over the Legionnaire's face pulling her backwards. The crowd roared!

Lexikon flexed, breaking Astrild's grip. The two women sprang apart.

"Come on you cowardly flying dog, let's finish this." the Valkyri roared.

"Indeed." the Legionnaires soft reply.

In a blur of movement Lexikon grabbed the Valkyri and threw her into the air. As Astrild spun upwards the Tamaranean Legionnaire flew after her and smashed a blow into her side followed by another and another and another. And a dozen more at super speeds. Blood sprayed across the floor.

"Enough!" at the head of the table Sun Boy had jumped up and was walking on air towards the two women, at his side Chameleon Boy had sprouted wings and darted towards the battered Valkyri. The Eleven Valkyri that had been watching from the other end of the room jumped over the tables and ran across to thir fallen comrade. Chameleon Boy reached her first and quickly examined Astrild before her Sisters could reach her.

<Otaki, we need your medical kit, now girl>

The Valkyri surrounded the Durlan, several had their swords in their hands. Chameleon Boy held his hands up and stepped away.

Sun Boy could see Lexikons fists clench and unclench, her eyes were wide with her adrenaline.

"Stand down Legionnaire. You have apologies to make." His tone left no room for discussion.

The Tamaranean took two deep breaths before nodding. The crowd were roaring in anger and hurling objects from the tables at the Legionnaires. The Queen had stepped down from the dais, her two brothers at her side, and was striding across the floor towards them.

Lexikon bowed respectfully towards the Queen as she got close. The huge room fell silent.

"Your majesty. I apologies most profoundly for my... Aggression. I fear you brave warrior was far stronger than I imagined and fought far fiercer that I expected. My sisters and I were trained from birth to fight and ...I acting in an inappropriate manner after your brave Valkyri hurt me with her blows. You have my humblest apologies and my promise I shall..."

"Enough Legionnaire, your apologies are wearying." Lexikon stood straight before the Queen, the Legionnaire was easily a foot and a half taller but still she looked like a child being reprimanded before an adult.

"Ma'am..."

The Queen turned to her brothers, Magni and Modi, who both nodded before she turned back to address the crowd.

"Beloved guests... Please be patient as we administer care to dear Astrild. Now... The Legionnaire who dealt such vicious blows to our beloved Sister... What say you?"

The crowd bayed, the insults flew and threats of violence were shouted. Sun Boy smiled, though he kept watch on the crowd, watching to see if any crossed the tables onto the floor. Around him the rest of the team stood in a loose circle, equally cautious.

Several of the Valkyri approached the Queen, glancing menacingly as they passed the Legionnaires. The Queen stepped back and bid them to approach, while one whispered to her liege, the others put themselves between the Legionnaires and their Queen, throwing wary looks around the crowd as they stood in silent guard.

<Right everyone, if this kicks off we fly out of here, okay? I don't want any more bloodshed today. No more violence, okay?> there was anger in Sun Boys tone that reverberated across their artificial telepathic communication grid.

"So..." Queen Throoth of Nordhelm stepped forward again, her face a perfect mask of neutrality. "Our beloved Sisters of the Sword have reported that dear Astrild has four broken ribs, a splintered wrist, a most distressing broken nose and obvious concussion. She fought well but the savagery and battle hunger on display by the Tamaranean proved too much for even one as strong as she. I declare the Legionnaire Lexikon... Victor!"

The crowd cheered and several serving maids approached the Legionnaires with tankards of ale.

"She fought most bravely... I am impressed Dirk, there are few that can go a round with my Valkyri" the Quuen smiled broadly as she spoke the Sun Boy.

<Ah... Okay guys, what's going on?> Gahaji asked.

<Lexi was right... They love a good rumble here, just like she said> Sylva responded.

<The crowd are ...happy now. This culture gives me a headache!> Bina added.

The confused Legionnaires followed the now laughing Queen back to their seats as servants cleared the floor space before the next entertainers arrived.

The crowd cheered and toasted the Legionnaires. While most of the team were happy to take to their seats beside the Queen's dais Lexikon walked to the opposite end of the hall and approached the Valkyri Sisters. They each welcomed her with smiles and hugs. She sat at the far end of the able after that next to Astrild, both apparently having forgiven the other for any hurt caused in their bout.

The night was long and loud, with pipers, further wrestling matches that thankfully didn't include any more of the Legionnaires getting involved, a dance that included partners spinning each other like tops, and finally the Queen addressed her people one last time.

"Good people of Nordhelm. Lords, Ladies, friends and family... Please, my thanks to you all for joining us on this night and sharing the entertainment and fare of our humble home. We come to the end of this entertainment though so it is only right I thank those that have gifted us with such blessed memories. To Astrild... Fearless and strong you are. We welcome you formally to the Sisters of the Sword.... " a great cheer went up as the Valkyri stood up at the end of the table, "And one final toast to our guests and their brave fighting spirit... let us wish them every success and a glorious battlefield upon which to end their days."

An hour later the team were back on their shuttle, none of them quite sure if they would ever forget the rough culture and welcome they had shared on this distant world

Harbinger #921871 02/10/17 02:45 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Harmonia – Senior Team member, Professor Harmonia Li of Earth, manipulation of the natural environment
Comet Queen - Grava of Extal colony, spaceflight, comet gas extrusion
Chemical Kid - Hadru Jamik of Phlon, catalyzes chemical reactions
Thirteen – Dann Hortra of Naltor, line of sight probability manipulation
Starkling – telepathic swarm-being composed of indestructible ball bearing sized components
Comet King - Drinchnar Lamment of Extal colony, spaceflight, comet gas extrusion

Dr Noah Kabbo - Spy – Legion World Counsellor – Heightened awareness and limited telepathy
Loutrahim Mango - ‘Death Boy’ - Professor Li’s laboratory assistant, exemplary bio-chemist, sweat activated palm neuro-toxic secretions

Dr Noah Kabbo of the Titanian Institute of Psychiatry was concerned.

He could feel the tension between the team and in particular the increasing rage that was emanating from Loutrahim Mango. The young bio-chemist was fizzing in anger! Dr Kabbo placed his hand lightly on the young man's shoulder and spoke in a soothing tone.

"We'll find your father, don't worry Loutrahim. We'll do everything we can do to help... You know that don't you?"

"Yeah right." he shrugged the counsellors hand off his back,"I really believe you... Not!" Loutrahim stretched out his hand and activated the door sensor.

Comet King swooped down to the laboratory assistant's side and nodded once towards him, not saying a word as the door irised open. Before Loutrahim could take a step Comet King flew through and Starkling swarmed over the young Venusian to join its comrade. Loutrahim waved his hand in front of his face as if to fend of individual parts of the collective being. Comet Queen flew above him as Dr Kabbo took to his side.

"Let's do this..." Loutrahim Mango marched into his old laboratory to finally meet his father.

Inside the laboratory the automatic lighting system was already on, indicating that someone was already there.

"Father... Father, I'm here, like you requested." Loutrahim shouted. The room remained quiet. The legionnaires had followed the lab assistant inside, though Thirteen stood by the door, keeping an eye on the industrial estate outside.

"Professor Morlo... My name Is Hadru Jamik... They call me Chemical Kid. Believe it or not I'm a fan of your work.... Well, kind of. I'd be very happy to meet you." the young Phlonite said loudly.

"Like starshine that's traitorous blackout talk." Grava said in a low voice as she swooped down towards her friend.

"Professor Morlo, I am Professor Harmonia Li, your son is my assistant, please help him..."

"Where are you?" Loutrahim shouted, his anger was obvious as he stomped around the room. There was nowhere really to hide; two long bench tables and a bank of metal storage cupboards, concrete floor and a concrete ceiling above, boxes stacked against a wall and under the benches.

<We cannot sense any sentient being present, is this the correct meeting place?> the polyphonic telepathic voice of Starkling's shared with the group as its component parts swirled around the laboratory.

"Loutrahim... Listen to me, please. I fear this is not..." Dr Kabbo began to speak, "I can feel a psionic interference here... but not your father...".

"No! This is not right, he said he'd be here. He probably ran because of you!" the young Venusian started to shout at his colleagues.

"Guys... I've got a bad feeling... There's more of those Chemoids approaching." Thirteen had his back to the group as he faced the approaching lumbering shapes. Comet King immediately flew out of the door to put himself between the team and the approaching threat. Comet Queen followed closely behind.

"Hadru, please help them." Harmonia tapped Chemical Kid on the back as she spoke, as the young Legionnaire had been examining the contents of the cupboards.

"Sure... Good idea Harmonia." he strode out to the door and stood beside Thirteen.

They could crashes from outside as the amassed Chemoids were disabled by Thirteens probability manipulation and Chemical Kid's catalysing.

"Starkling continue your scans... We need to find where Mantis Morlo is hiding."

<We are alone Professor Li, there are no other sentient beings present. Although there is an unusual telepathic presence here... it feels ...artificial. It permeates this building.>

Harmonia walked around the room, absently picking up pieces of equipment as she went. One in particular caught her attention, underneath one of the benches, inside a large box there was a silver machine, surrounded by an ultraviolet field. It was similar to part of the Titan-net machinery she had seen while working at the Time Institute, an amplifier used to broadcast telepathic waves across stellar distances.

"Dr Kabbo... Can you help me here please?" she said softly. Her assistant was staring at the ceiling, tears were streaming from his eyes. Harmonia knew that this scenario was no longer viable. Morlo had summoned his son here, that she didn't doubt, but it wasn't to meet up with him to reconnect. Instead he had herded them into this building where the artificial telepathic field appeared to be driving her assistant crazy. This was a trap and Morlo had played upon his son's vulnerable nature and the Legionnaires compassion. Loutrahim Mango's shouting was becoming more erratic as he prowled around his old laboratory.

"Ahh.. That explains the headache I've had since arriving, it's a modified TP transfer cell. Someone is broadcasting through this... It's what's affected Loutrahim, I'd bet."

"Yes, thank you Noah, I agree. He needs our assistance now." she nodded towards the doctor before she turned towards her assistant, "Loutrahim... Loutrahim, we need to leave now. This has not been a successful endeavour. I fear your father was never here to meet you..." Harmonia casually reached out a hand towards her laboratory assistant but as she did he screamed in anger.

"Loutrahim! No!" Dr Kabbo's warning came to late as the angry young man took Harmonia's hand in his and discharged his neuro toxin.

The ancient elemental fell like a chopped tree onto the hard floor.

Harbinger #921873 02/10/17 03:06 AM
OMG! I never saw that character's death coming! You were right when you said I'd be surprised, Harbi.

Loved the resolution to the goodwill mission sequence on Nordheim. And I laughed out loud when Bina remarked, "This culture gives me a headache!"

I always consider it a sign of good writing when the authoress or author uses humour to put the reader at ease, right before she or he drops a bombshell like the one you did. Good show!

Harbinger #921874 02/10/17 03:11 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Oh, Throoth (or sometimes Prute or Pruth, both of which sounds too ugly IMO) , Modi and Magni were all children of Thors, so that's where the Nordhelm royalty got their names.

Glad you enjoyed it Raquel, though neither story is quite over yet. More coming in a week or so.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,308
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star