Roll Call
0 members (), 15 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 11:59 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Legion Worlds Four (updated 4 December)
Harbinger #917626 12/04/16 08:34 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Harmonia – Senior Team member, Professor Harmonia Li of Earth, manipulation of the natural environment
Comet Queen - Grava of Extal colony, spaceflight, comet gas extrusion
Chemical Kid - Hadru Jamik of Phlon, catalyzes chemical reactions
Thirteen – Dann Hortra of Naltor, line of sight probability manipulation
Starkling – telepathic swarm-being composed of indestructible ball bearing sized components
Comet King - Drinchnar Lamment of Extal colony, spaceflight, comet gas extrusion

Dr Noah Kabbo - Spy – Legion World Counsellor – Heightened awareness and limited telepathy
Loutrahim Mango - ‘Death Boy’ - Professor Li’s laboratory assistant, exemplary bio-chemist, sweat activated palm neuro-toxic secretions

Harmonia requested Chemical Kid and Thirteen to join them and notified Night Girl on Mission Monitor Board duty that she would require one more member for the team so she could lead a quorate mission. Starkling's sigil popped up and the ancient elemental agreed. Noah Kabbo watched the inscrutible elemental with interest, he found her difficult to read so felt the need to keep a close eye on her when the opportunity arose.

Within a couple of minutes the team were standing in the Medi bay, Hadru was less than happy to be taken away from his immersive virtual shopping trip but after Harmonia shot him a flat look he stopped complaining. While Loutrahim was still in the medi bay with Dr Kabbo attending to him Harmonia spoke with the assembled team explaining the situation. Hadru immediately paid attention as of all the Legionnaires many foes Dr Morlo was the one former opponent of the team had intrigued him the most. He had studied the files several times now and looked through the Science Police forensic records of the Chemoids that the rogue chemist had created. They had intrigued him and now he had the chance to possibly examine them for himself Hadru Jamik was grateful for the request to join the mission and eager to begin. So long as they survived the mission of course, he thought to himself.

"So where is he? Dr Morlo, I mean... How do we find him?"

"Good question Hadru, our scanners reveal the telepathic assault was channeled through a range of relay satellites which burned them out though the signal originated somewhere from within the Seven Dome City of Venus, Loutrahim's birthplace. I believe the exact location was transmitted to him though have yet to find out exactly what he knows. The assault has confused him somewhat so I would rather not push him for the information."

Hadru rolled his eyes to show his frustration though knew better than to say anything.

"My plan is simple, we'll allow him to go to his father and will follow him."

"Harmonious one, like wont l'il Death Bug be all like 'Whoah guys let me meet the criminal master chemoid maker in peace' if we like burst in on th'm? That's novatastically poor form doncha think?" Comet King said.

"Yeah, like, perhaps if Drinchnar and I offer to be like his gluon sidekick supports and, like, we c'd arrange a neutral meeting place. That's his papa out there, the poor bleep gotta meet him don't he?" Grava said.

<If his father is a criminal surely our role is to arrest him?> Starkling's added, it's component parts swirling in a ball above them.

"Currently Dr Morlo does not have any outstanding warrants..." Thirteen said, looking up from the hard light screen before him. While the others had been discussing what to do the Naltorian had been looking for solid information, "...says here he was released a while back. Still has regular therapy sessions and check-ins with his SP probation case worker but no troubles so far."

"Thank you all, perhaps we should..." Harmonia started to speak.

"I'm going to meet him and you're welcome to come along if you want to bust our reunion but anyway you can't stop me from going." Loutrahim Mango stood at the doorway of the bay staring at the Legionnaires. Behind him Dr Kabbo kept his expression neutral though there was something about his eyes that suggested the Legion's counsellor was not happy with the idea of the laboratory assistant meeting his absent father.

"And another thing... I ain't gonna wear this again." he flung his flight ring at Harmonia's feet. "No more controlling me, I ain't a mutt for you to muzzle again."

"Loutrahim..." Harmonia Li started to speak again.

"No, no more from you Li, you knew he was my father, I accessed the data banks... you knew and didn't say a thing so come if you really want to but don't tell me what to do again 'cause I ain't listening."

"Loutrahim... Starshine, we're on your side, okay? I'm coming with you 'cause, like, we all need friends and you're not your usual happy-sunbeam self so... Please?"

"Grava, you're okay but the rest... Phah! Do whatever you wanna do, I'm gonna finally see the old man as it's way past time we met." he turned away from the legionnaires and raised his head, "Henry!" Loutrahim shouted towards the high ceilings above, "Henry, I need a warp, can you send me to my mothers place, c'mon holo-man help me get home already will ya?" A honey and violet spinning disc appeared in the air before them and Loutrahim Mango strode through without another word.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Re: Legion Worlds Four (updated 4 December)
Harbinger #917651 12/04/16 06:59 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Some great moments there.

You captured Zoe's mischievousness so well. Same with Backlash's confusion at the Legion's "alien" (to him) practices! What a nice moment.

Poor Titan. I thought he would adjust to his power loss a bit more easily, considering he only had it for six months and not his entire life. Although he seems to be adjusting positively. You rightly had him feel guilty for tampering with Douglas' mind, but you had the incident happen in such a way that I can only feel sympathy for Titan.

Promising start to the Mantis Morlo meeting mission. The bit where all the mission members chime in one by one, and Harmonia tries to restore order, was funny!

Aw Grava, she really got through to Death Boy and convinced him that she was trustworthy. Good for her.

Re: Legion Worlds Four (updated 6 December)
Harbinger #917758 12/06/16 11:10 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Investigation of invasion of Kardavitia

Element Lad – Team Leader, Jan Arrah of Trom, elemental transmutation
Mon El – Senior Team member, Lar Gand of Daxam, incredible strength, speed, stamina, senses, laser vision, space flight, invulnerability
Lightning Lass, Ayla Ranzz of Winath, electrical generation and manipulation
Timber Wolf - Brin Londo of Zuun, enhanced strength, speed, agility, reflexes and senses
Dawnstar - of Starhaven, space flight, incredible speed, tracking
Kid Quantum - Jazmin Cullen of Xanthu, creation of temporal quantum bubbles, flight
The Spear of Artemis - Amynta of Nostos ii, incredible strength, speed, invulnerability, space flight, carries magical weapons.
Karate Kid – Mithindrivithis Ngandraffa of Lythyl, strength, heightened reflexes, mimetic motor learning giving incredible martial skills
Green Lantern - Dkyun Mu of Xudar, wearer of a Green Lantern power ring

<Lar, why are you here?> the holo of Brainiac 5 transmitted.

<Long story short, big bad has teleport tech, so can you get Henry to warp us back there please?> even Dkyun Mu could hear Mon El's frustration, the Daxamite was angry and their Coluan teammates questioning was not helping matters.

<of course, I'm also requesting we send assistance. Kara and Cece are at hand so...>

<Querl, we can handle it, now where's the warp?> there was no disguising Mon El's anger this time.

Before them a honey and violet swirling rupture in space time appeared and without a further word Mon El flew through.

<uh.. Thank you Querl. We won't be caught out like that again>

And with that the Xudarian Green Lantern dived into the warp after her Daxamite colleague.

Dawnstar had easily disabled many of the small crafts though many more were still flashing past as they dove into the planets gravity well to flare red as they dove into the atmosphere. She was challenging herself by knocking the crafts into the beams of lights that their mothership was flashing down towards the planets surface. Dawnstar's attention was firmly fixed on the three crafts before her so didn't immediately see the warp open up. As she shouldered one craft just enough to spin it into its neighbours path the trans-spatial warps gravity field caught the edges of her senses and for a hundredth of a second threw her off balance almost resulting into her careering into the tangled mass of smashed ships.

Mon El flashed past her and in a blur of strength, speed and laser vision he destroyed every one of the invaders crafts within a dozen Klicks.

<We were sent back to Legion World... I believe Lar is upset> The Green Lantern transmitted to the Legionnaire from Starhaven.

<I sometimes forget just how powerful he is...> Dawnstar replied as she watched the awesome trail of destruction the Daxamite left behind as he smashed through more of the invaders dark crafts.

<Right... Enough of the toys, it's time to deal with the toy master> with that Mon El zoomed towards the underside of the enormous mothership.

Behind Mon El both Dkyun Mu and Dawnstar flew quickly to catch up, both worried about the damage he might do in his anger.

On the distant planets surface Lightning Lass had helped blast a slab of fallen rubble apart so Karate Kid could release some trapped locals. The Legionnaires found the group huddled desperately together and initially had been unwilling to move. Eventually Ayla snapped and with electric arcs flickering around her head, shoulders and arms had ordered the scared group to leave their shelter to join with the other survivors they had found. They didn't argue again.

Karate Kid gave Ayla a small grin before flying out of the rubble to smash one of the small invaders ships as it circled above. Ayla wiped the sweat from her brow before following the junior teammate outside. The last of the desperate populace had left the shelter of the ruined building and were running in the direction Karate Kid had pointed, where they could find their fellow Karavatians.

Brin and Jazmin had found and rescued over a hundred people so far and sent them to the east where there appeared to be none of the swarming invaders crafts. They turned a corner, Brin sniffing the air in front of them as he bounded from one wreckage pile to the next. Jazmin flew above, keeping watch for the invaders. In front of the was a hole, twenty meters across, with rubble piled up around it.

"This is weird..."

" What's up Brin? Isn't that where the invaders blasted the city?"

"Nope, the rubble around is from something blasting out, not in... Perhaps the city's defences... Though doubt they'd have them underneath a populated area. I reckon there was something down there that blasted out here..." he floated above the hole and looked up, "Look," he pointed up, "Whatever came out here clipped that building causing that to fall there... Which brought down that block there. We gotta investigate this, you're not claustrophobic are you kid?"

"Not in the slightest, and you're right, the debris around here is a blast radius... C'mon, let's investigate." Kid Quantum started to dive down.

"Whoah there... " <Jan, we've found a mysterious tunnel here and are investigating. You and 'Mynta want to join us?">Timber Wolf broadcast to their team leader.

<Good plan Brin, we'll be with you in a couple of minutes. You cleared the area of survivors?>

<Can't smell any more around here, I think we've got them all out 'round here>

<Okay, good job, we're on our way>

"Right Jaz, let's go smash some more of these buggers 'til Jan gets here." And with that Brin leapt into the air to search from some more of the invaders drone crafts to destroy.

"Yeah, good idea. " Jazmin Cullen smiled as she flew into the air after her teammate.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Harbinger #917759 12/06/16 11:11 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Xao admitted to himself that he didn't really have a clue what he was doing here.

Jacques, Drake, Monica and Babbage were happily engrossed with the mechanics in front of them but the young sorcerer remained baffled. They were standing in a long corridor that ran underneath the main engineering area, one entire wall was covered in cables and tubing and energy filled conduits while the wall opposite had standing consoles every hundred metres that were clealy designed to control them.

Technology this advanced was just a mystery to Xao, he couldn't understand the concepts that his legion colleagues took for granted and despite his best efforts he felt like an idiot. He was on his second shift helping out and it felt like purgatory. After yesterday's horrible eight hour he had spoken to Glorith about how difficult he found the tasks he'd been assigned; she had given a rare giggle as she agreed. She told him that she did her best to avoid any duties on their new base as it gave her a headache as soon as she was required to do anything. Instead she had volunteered to help Harmonia in the replanting of the gardens on their original Legion World. Xao had admitted to his fellow mystic that he was as confused by plants as he was by advanced technology at which they had both laughed. The memory made him smile.

"Hey, Dragonmancer, you with us?" Wildfire asked.

"Sorry.. I zoned out there, I don't really understand..."

"Yeah, yeah, magic schmagic mumbo jumbo and all that, so could you make yerself useful and send a titchy tiny dragon in there..." the anti-energy legionnaire pointed to a wall length mass of cables and wires, "... And find the Hrrt Stabilser? It's red and marked with a recurring black 'x'? Until we can loop it through the Decab-field function array we're gonna be without sonic showers... Which doesn't bother me but you guys will get smelly pretty quickly if you don't."

"Drake, stop being mean... Xao, could you help us look for this. We know it must be in there somewhere but there's too much tech interference for our scanners to locate it and until Gear is free to assist weve got to crack on best we can... and your magic is probably the easiest way." Monica Sade held up her hand and a small holo popped into view above her flight ring.

"Sure... I'll try." Dragonmage did not feel particularly confident but gave a small tight smile as he stepped forward.

"Merci... Drake 'ere wanted to blast 'iz way through but you can provide a more elegant solution." Invisible Kid smiled encouragingly.

It was an hour later that the Linsnarian joined them, by which time Xao was feeling surprisingly happy with himself. His dragon forms had helped locate several necessary pieces of equipment and he hadn't even really needed to understand what they did, Sade's holos gave him all the visual information he needed to imprint onto his mystical constructs. Even Wildfire had grudgingly congratulated the young sorcerer on a couple of occasions, which in itself made today worthwhile in itself.

Perhaps working on the teams new base wasn't as awful as he thought.

Harbinger #917760 12/06/16 11:12 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Tinya and Lydda were on Mission Monitor Board duty.

It wasn't a job that Tinya particularly enjoyed though for the next eight hours she would not leave the monitor room unless an emergency came up or nature called.

When Phantom Lass had seen she was rota'd to be on shift with Night Girl she gave a little sigh. It wasn't that the Bgzrler really strongly disliked her Kathooni colleague it's just she had never actually found anything really in common with her. Lydda Jath had always seemed a bit too intense for Tinya's liking.

As she thought more about it Tinya realised she had always rather worshipped Rokk; he was charismatic and passionate and loyal and genuinely cared for the many people's of this galaxy. While Lydda had always struck Tinya as bit of a wannabe... Tinya hated herself for thinking that but it was the truth. Lydda had originally only wanted to join the team because she was attracted to the Braalians athlete, that was it. That's not to say she hadn't then learned how to act and shown a compassionate streak. Certainly Tasmia had quite liked her and Lu spoke highly, but there was just something that irked Tinya's sensibilities and she couldn't quite put her finger on it. She remembered Jo saying to her, right after Brainy had gone insane and they were rebuilding the old clubhouse, that of all their teammates he'd always suspected Brainy of potentially losing it, though Rokk wasn't far behind. At the time, and actually to this day, Tinya disagreed with that assessment, though she knew that if Cosmic Boy ever did really go mad Night Girl would still be at his side silently cheering him on while looking at everyone else like they were in the wrong. And with that thought Tinya knew that was it, that was the thing that annoyed Her- Lydda's passive aggression, her lack of real open opinion. She could bully kids at the Academy and fight things at night but she had this way of getting her points across by just stiffening her houlders or half smiling as an answer. Lydda had never been close friend of hers and at last Tinya had figured out why, in her mind Night Girl wasn't a totally secure person and perhaps having been brought up in a politically high flying family Tinya had never known how to deal with people who over compensated for their insecurities rather than dealing with and moving past them. She sort of felt the same way about Brin sometimes, he could be a mopey so-and-so but at least Tinya knew she could rely on him if things went south, Lydda had still to prove herself.

With that thought she had looked in the mirror, finished sonic flossing and phased through the floor to make her way towards the Monitor Board control room. And here they were. After Lu and Marya had handed over the shifts the two young women sat in silence; Tinya read mission reports with a leg casually hanging over the arm of her chair while Lydda sat bolt upright and ran full system diagnostics. Tinya knew it was going to be a long eight hours and wished for an emergency to appear on the screens that would either involve rogue Bgltzers or be happening somewhere dark. Anything to get one of them out of here and for her skin to stop itching in the unpleasant atmosphere they were stuck in.

Four hours late Lydda Jath focussed on the job at hand. She sat in silence as she never knew what to say to Tinya, despite all the kind things Rokk had told her Lydda just couldn't find common ground. There had been one call from Harmonia to assign someone to join a team and since then, three hours before, there had been silence.

Lydda knew without there ever being a word said between them that the Bgztler Legionnaire had looked down her nose at the Kathoonian from day one. She had always exhibited a Princess Complex that irritated Lydda. Still, professional is what professional does, she reminded herself, and none of her teammates would ever make the young hero from the distant dark world believe she wasn't fit to be amongst them. Her years with the Subs had taught her well, Lydda would not allow herself to be a joke for the Big Team to walk over no matter how limited her abilities were, and now that Querl had finally gotten around to fixing that vulnerability with the new app he'd kindly added to her flight ring Lydda Jath was doubly determined to prove herself worthy of being here.

Still, for all her determination and front, she was bitterly disappointed that Rokk had decided to stay in Sol space once their newest planetoid base was ready to leave. Sure, she wanted to be out there with the team fighting the good fight, that's why she was here wasn't it? She had these abilities and wanted to put them to the best use she possibly could, she believed in justice and was prepared to fight for it if need be. But as she had that thought she knew it was not entirely true. She had only bullied her poor father into developing the technology that gave the abilities that allowed her membership so she could have a chance at meeting and potentially wooing Rokk Krinn. And it had worked. They were now, over fifteen years later, engaged. They had travelled in time and space, they were a settled couple with no problems on the horizon.

And Rokk wanted to stay in Sol as the rest of the team, including her, went out into the wider galaxy.

Rokk wanted to leave her alone with the Legion as he played as headmaster. A couple of years back now he strongly suggested she be part of the Academy as a way to sideline their relationship as he focussed more and more on his career. And now that she had become a part of the team that he had put before her he was backing away again. Sure, Henry could warp them together whenever they wanted, sure they were secure enough in their relationship that distance wouldn't matter and they didn't need to see each other very night and, sure, they knew that they truly loved each other. Sure, she had given the big confident talk when any of her friends asked about it, but...

Sure.

Lydda knew that unless she did something the man she had dedicated her entire adult life too would slowly slip out of her grasp and before she knew it she would be alone again. With that thought her mind was made up. Tapping an icon on the monitor board she contacted the one person that Lydda knew would be able to help her.

"Lu," she said as the holo popped up, "I've been thinking about the Academy programme... I know that Rokk and Gim and Drake and Yera will all be great but they don't have our experience so perhaps I was hasty turning down your offer. If you'd accept me I'd like to stay with you and help out."

Behind Lydda's back Tinya failed to resist the urge to smile.

Invisible Brainiac #917762 12/06/16 11:23 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Some great moments there.

You captured Zoe's mischievousness so well. Same with Backlash's confusion at the Legion's "alien" (to him) practices! What a nice moment.

Poor Titan. I thought he would adjust to his power loss a bit more easily, considering he only had it for six months and not his entire life. Although he seems to be adjusting positively. You rightly had him feel guilty for tampering with Douglas' mind, but you had the incident happen in such a way that I can only feel sympathy for Titan.

Promising start to the Mantis Morlo meeting mission. The bit where all the mission members chime in one by one, and Harmonia tries to restore order, was funny!

Aw Grava, she really got through to Death Boy and convinced him that she was trustworthy. Good for her.

Thanks again IB, good to hear you thought Zoevwas on point as whenever I write her I always think of you and hope you'll like it.

Yeah, poor Nasir, he's got a little bit of angst to deal with, hopefully it won't alienate him from his teammates though as I imagine he won't get away with messing with too many people's minds just because he doesn't want their pity. We'll see, more soon.

Glad you liked the juniors not deferring to Harmonia, that was fun to write.

Loutrahim and his dad will be reunited very soon and we'll find out a bit more about their dysfunctional relationship.

More of the Karavatia team next time and Sun Boys team get involved in something unexpected.

Thanks again IB, hopefully there'll be more at the weekend.

Harbinger #917786 12/06/16 02:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
More great installments!

Mon's anger is scary, you captured it so well. He reminds me of Superman, very patient but if you cross him (in this case, the teleportation must have seemed like such a betrayal) you better watch out. Dkyun's reaction was funny.

Nice job having Brin be the cautious one this time, and also his detective work.

Ayla snapping at the cowering locals was funny! I would probably have done the same.

Is Xao crushing on Glorith? I really liked that scene, how he was able to contribute despite knowing little about technology. I can totally relate.

The Tinya / Lydda scene was exceedingly well done. It's so common to just not really like someone for whatever reason. Tinya's assessment of Lydda was so accurate, and of Rokk too. And best of all, Tinya was fair in her assessment.

I liked Lydda's determination and introspection. I also smiled when she did what she did - especially as she seemed so assured earlier when she said she would NOT mind being away from Rokk!

And to be fair, Lydda's assessment of Tinya's Princess Complex is accurate as well smile on the surface, Preboot Tinya has always tried to be nice but has never gotten past that occasional snippiness.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/06/16 02:52 PM.
Harbinger #917803 12/06/16 11:37 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Thanks again IB, I appreciate your taking the time to read and comment.

Mon is in for a steep learning curve soon, and Harmonia's team will get a few shocks as well.

I don't see Xao crushing on Glorith but as they are the two main magic users on the team they hang out.

Tinya and Lydda... Ah well, not everyone is meant to be friends, glad you enjoyed that little slice of characterisation. I wasnt entirely confident when I posted it.

More soon, hang on there as things take off for the teams.

Re: Legion Worlds Four (updated 8 December)
Harbinger #917912 12/08/16 06:34 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Harmonia – Senior Team member, Professor Harmonia Li of Earth, manipulation of the natural environment
Starkling – telepathic swarm-being composed of indestructible ball bearing sized components
Comet King - Drinchnar Lamment of Extal colony, spaceflight, comet gas extrusion

Dr Noah Kabbo - Spy – Legion World Counsellor – Heightened awareness and limited telepathy
Loutrahim Mango - ‘Death Boy’ - Professor Li’s laboratory assistant, exemplary bio-chemist, sweat activated palm neuro-toxic secretions

They had stepped through the warp into Loutrahim's mothers apartment.

There were wrappers from Easy-food packs lying around, in amongst piles of clothing. Loutrahim's mother was asleep on a low couch, snoring gently. She didnt wake up or react as thevLegionnaires warped into her home. The room smelled of alcohol, stale food and dirty clothing. There was barely room for the Legionnaires. There were noises coming from above and below, the floors were so thin between apartments. Harmonia smiled tightly as she waited for Loutrahin to lead them out.

Thirteen was reminded of the sign his cousin Ajin had in her hallway, "my housekeeping style may best be described as 'There appears to have been a struggle'", which he had always found funny, particularly as his cousin was ferociously neat and tidy. While she shared the sentiment it didn't appear that Loutrahim's mother shared Ajins housekeeping skills.

The young laboratory assistant had tears in his eyes as he pulled a worn blanket across his sleeping mother.

"Like starshine... Is she gonna be sunbeam and smiles again?" Grava asked.

"It must be nighttime, this is how she's spent every night for the last ... Fuck I don't know, forever I guess. We better go. Get your distorters ready as it ain't nice out there nd you'll get a lot of the wrong type of attention if you step outside looking like this."

The young man led the Legionnaires through a short narrow corridor to a solid looking door.

"Welcome to Level One Forty Eight, Sixth House in the Seven Dome City, as close to hell as you could ever hope for."

"Wait... Please Loutrahim, where are you taking us?"

"To meet my dad of course, he sent the coordinates, which ain't too far... A tube ride and a little walk's all. So set yer distorters to max weird thug alike look so you fit in.. It isn't pretty out there."

"You okay bud?" Thirteen asked.

"Don't 'bud' me, you haven't said a word to me since we joined, not one. Grava's the only one of you who's opinion counts right now. She's the only one who's been decent..." the young man started to shout in anger and frustration.

"Loutrahim, that is not fair. We have never..." Harmonia started.

"Shut up Li, you're the worst... Yeah, come be my lab assistant you said, just forgot to mention you'd neuter my ability, spy on my every move and not tell me that you figured my fathers a villain. Like I care what you say... Right, love to talk but I... Actually, no I wouldn't, I'm going, you can join me if you want. Or not. I don't care." the laboratory assistant turned his back on the team and stomped to the door.

Harbinger #917913 12/08/16 06:36 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Investigation of invasion of Kardavitia

Mon El – Senior Team member, Lar Gand of Daxam, incredible strength, speed, stamina, senses, laser vision, space flight, invulnerability
Timber Wolf - Brin Londo of Zuun, enhanced strength, speed, agility, reflexes and senses
Kid Quantum - Jazmin Cullen of Xanthu, creation of temporal quantum bubbles, flight
The Spear of Artemis - Amynta of Nostos ii, incredible strength, speed, invulnerability, space flight, carries magical weapons.
Karate Kid – Mithindrivithis Ngandraffa of Lythyl, strength, heightened reflexes, mimetic motor learning giving incredible martial skills

Element Lad hovered in the air above the debris field surveying the damaged city block.

The Trommite shook his head, the destruction around him was so unnecessary. Whatever the issue really was about there was no need for such wanted disregard of the needs of the residents. From the pieces of architecture left standing he could image how beautiful this city have once been; long graceful arches, decorated spired, and broad tree lined avenues. The locals had created a picturesque home that the invaders had desecrated. Jan Arrah took a deep breath and lowered himself towards his waiting teammates.

The Spear of Artemis and Timber Wolf had smashed all of the dark drone crafts within a two klick radius while Kid Quantum checked the survivors were okay. Hundreds had assembled in a park on the edge of the city. Jan requested Henry warp in Dr Shakespeare with a dozen auto-doc drones and the muscular medic was making his way through the terrified crowd issuing reassurance and assistance as he went. Jazmin checked he was okay, the doctor dismissed her with a grin before continuing speaking with a hysterical family before him. His confidence and determination were obvious as he calmly dealt with all the problems he faced.

Back at the hole, after Jaz had rejoined them, Jan sent Brin in first and asked Amynta to take the rear. Timber Wolf bounded ahead, straight into the darkness below.

Ayla and Mithindrivithis had heard the telepathic conversation and had offered to help Dr Shakespeare; they had a couple of hundred scared city folk on their side of the zone of destruction that they would guide to the Legion World medic. The newest Karate Kid had located several more trapped people amid the rubble as she searched, a young family that didn't want to let go of each other as she led them towards the rubble strewn street.

"Henry...." Karate Kid spoke into her flight ring, "Can you warp these people directly to Dr Shakespeare please."

"Of course, my pleasure." the holo-man said in response through the flight ring communicator as a honey and violet disc erupted in the air beside the young legionnaire from Lythyl.

The children screamed in terror as their parents put their bodies between them and the warp.

"It's okay, I promise, let me show you..." Karate Kid stepped into the warp, half of her lithe body disappearing, "We use these to teleport us, this will take you to your neighbours." she held out her hand, inviting them to step forward. It took a few seconds until they cautiously approached.

After they had gone and the warp dissolved Lightning Lass floated down to the junior team members side.

"Well done... Hope Kent can help them, they looked really shook up."

Karate Kid gave a small smile to her colleague before turning around, "I can hear something Ayla, this way..."

Wiping dust from her face with the back of her hand, Ayla smiled as she followed her new team mate, She had missed moments like this where the teams actions saved lives, let Mon El deal with the cosmic mothership, she was happy as a Shearclam dealing with the real people down below on the planet.

Mon El smashed into the side of the mothership and rebounded off without denting or moving it in the slightest.

Dawnstar and Green Lantern rushed to the Daxamites side as he unleashed a torrent of heat vision against the point he had just attacked. Even as the energy disapated he rushed in to punch and kick at the same point, hundreds of times in a second. It didn't make any idifference, the invaders mothership remained intact and unmoved.

<Lar... Stop> Dawnstar broadcasted to her teammate, <let's think this through...>

<Indeed, we should perhaps approach this....> the Green Lantern started to add.

<You two do that, I'm going to stop this> and with that Mon El vanished in a blur of speed as he rushed to the front of the craft and the hundred klick wide maw he had entered earlier.

<he's rather annoyed> the Green Lantern passed to Dawnstar as they chased after Mon El.

Yes, thought Dawnstar, and rather glorious with it.

Harbinger #917914 12/08/16 06:38 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Gazelle wondered where Ferro had disappeared to.

The iron skinned mutant had left almost an hour ago to find Titan; he'd promised he would only be twenty minutes then he'd be straight back. Gazelle grinned ferociously, imagining that Doug has found somewhere to sleep - certainly, she hadn't allowed him any for the past 36 hours. Humans were so soft needing to rest so often, on her dark skied home world sleep was a luxury few could afford every day.

J'izl Dtutuu decided to find him. Enough was enough,he had accepted her into his bed and now had to fulfil his obligation to fulfil her needs.

Her flight ring led her along the corridor, down the anti- grav chute two levels and round another hundred metres of corridor to Nasir N'Cube's quarters.

The Khundian warrior stopped before the door. She knew Doug was worried about his friend. Everyone was. The Khundian shook her head, this team, for all their amazing feats, could mollycoddle their members and surely that wouldn't help anyone. She didnt understand the Terrans emotional responses to tough situations - not in battle, she had to admit, they trained hard to overcome their urges there- well, other than when they were in a combat situation this ... What did they call it again... Empathy, that was it..... Whatever, it wasn't a pragmatic view that her Empire would allow. Even after almost a full year with the Legion she struggled sometimes to understand their behaviour.

She knocked loudly on the door with her knuckle, not something these humans usually liked but she had had enough of waiting and didn't want to activate the holo-chime. Direct action usually had faster results she had found.

It was ten seconds later that the door irised open. Nasir stood before her, he couldn't look her in the eye as he motioned for the Khundian to enter. The telepaths eyes looked red and puffy, which she knew usually meant some emotional response had just happened, what did the Humans call it? Crying... That was it, the tall telepath had been crying.

She had never been in his apartment and was surprised at how plushly it had been furnished, richly cloured wall drapes and large scatter cushions. Nasir was so focused and determined she didn't expect he would like such softness... She shrugged, it didn't matter ultimately, she was here for Doug.

"He came over to talk to me..."

He bowed his head and Gazelle could see how much pain the tall telepath clearly felt. She reached up and put a hand on his head to pull him in for a hug. She had learned that these humans liked to hug, so without any thought she pulled his head down so it rested on the top of hers. His arms reached around her and for several seconds they stood like that.

"Hey Nasir, not content with freakin' my thoughts you making' moves on my girl?" Ferro sat in a high backed chair against the far wall.

Gazelle smiled at Ferro as she walked over to join him, sitting on the arm of the chair.

"Have you boys had your catch up then? C'mon Douglas, we have unfinished business to complete..." she started to pull him up but he resisted.

"J'izl, please... One mo.... Nasir, I'm not going to say anything about what you did to me but promise me you'll speak to Dr Kabbo.... Okay? I'm here iif you need a friend... We all are, but you need proper help matey so get it. Okay?"

"Okay... Thanks again Doug. You're a good guy, I'm so sorry...."

"Don't. Just get some support, I'm still gonna be here for you but you know what I told you early, 'bout what I went through before I got here. If you mess with my mind again don't forget theres two of me in here," he tapped the side of his head, " and I won't be so forgiving next time Nasir. You will regret it."

"Douglas....?" Gazelle had never heard Ferro say anything so sternly, it surprised her how well it suited him.

"I promise I'll make it up to you...." Titan held eye contact with Ferro though looked totally crestfallen. There was a pause.

"Yup, you will 'cause next time I'm on monitor board duty you can cover it." even underneath his mask it was obvious Doug was smiling. Nasir gave a snorting laugh. The smiles didn't last.

The two men stared at each other for a long second before Doug nodded and took J'izl by the hand to lead her out of their teammates apartment.

Harbinger #917962 12/08/16 04:05 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Harbi, more great stuff! You write conflict so well, your scenes are so layered and usually there's nobody who's clearly all wrong or all right.

Loutrahim calling out the Legionnaires was well-done. From his point of view I can empathize, you have people who never paid attention to him suddenly acting all concerned. And I think he is justified in calling out Harmonia for keeping secrets. On Harmonia's side I do think she had reasons, which you gave us a peek into before. Of course, this might be due to telepathic tampering but his feelings are likely at least partially his.

And his appreciation of Grava has made me appreciate her all the more too!

Mon really is annoyed, oh dear. I hope he doesn't do anything too rash. Dawnstar and Dkyun will be good calming influences. I look forward to see where this goes, I can just imagine Dawnstar giving Mon a telling-off if he persists.

Ayla reflecting on how she loves helping people (over battling) was a nice touch.

There are two people in Doug's mind? Fascinating. Good job having him realize what Titan did. I like how he handled it, going directly to Titan, being firm that this should never happen again while still being concerned for his teammate.

Gazelle - interesting look into her mind. I like her balance of trying to understand/adapt to the culture of others, while still not letting go of her own culture completely. Interesting line here, that Doug "has an obligation to satisfy her needs", and her not giving him any rest in the past 36 hours. I wonder how Doug will continue to react to that!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/09/16 12:22 AM.
Harbinger #918038 12/09/16 11:51 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I love Gazelle's grudging attempt to deal with emotions laugh

Also agree with IB about Loutrahim's anger being relatable from his perspective...you did a great job describing where he comes from in a short space, I can totally see why he would have a chip on his shoulder when it comes to some of the Legionnaires who haven't had as hard a background themselves, and I like that Comet Queen is the one to be able to reach him smile

Harbinger #918039 12/10/16 02:07 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Guys, thanks again for the kind words.

Gazelle needed a bit of a personality so she fit nicely into what I'd planned for Titan. Glad you liked what I came up with.

Poor Death Boy is a bit of a mess, and there will be consequences, stay tuned. Let's hope Grava's support will help him when it all hits the fan.

More on Mon's storyline coming soon, as well as the next step in Dirk's good will tour.

thanks again IB and Raz, I always appreciate your support.

Last edited by Harbinger; 12/10/16 02:07 AM.

Re: Legion Worlds Four (updated 22 December)
Harbinger #918880 12/21/16 09:29 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Marya Pai was angry.

Hethuk had worked for sixty solid hours in the guts of Legion World Two before returning to their apartment to sleep. The conversation between them when he walked back in had been brief, sharp and unsatisfying. Marya was not impressed. She understood he was earning his keep; he'd come here as an assistant to Brainiac 5 with a speciality in weapon making, he was the Smith of the Green Forge after all. But still, Marya thought to herself, she was pissed.

She had an urge to breathe a little fire at his toes, just as a wake up call as he lay curled on their plump day bed but knew the argument that would follow wasn't worth the momentary joy she'd feel.

She left her lover alone in their apartment and had strolled to the gym. She missed Shakes where she could have found someone to talk to, and as usual the holotube from Saturn was rubbish - repeats of documentaries, shock jocks and animations. The news channels were so biased towards Local Events, like there wasn't a universe outside the Saturnian colonies. So... A hour at the gym hitting something and she would curl up next to Hethuk for some sleep before her stint on Mission Monitor Board tomorrow... What had she done to deserve this?

"Marya..." Luornu Durgo-Taine called out from behind.

"Oh joy... Kill me now." Dragonwing muttered under her breath though she had a friendly smile on her face as she turned.

"Are you free to lend a hand?"" walking towards her were Duplicate Girl, Sister Eclipse and Babbage.

"Well..."

"Thanks, I knew I could rely on you Marya, y'see our two new colleagues here have been helping out over on Two for three days now and happened to mention they'd never been to Earth to see the sights and go shopping... I don't know any of the mega-malls these days and since Hadru isn't around I thought you, and perhaps Zoe as well could take them sight seeing, they deserve a break."

"Lu... shopping sounds like perfect therapy. Isn't Hadru around? Oh, he'll be so jealous, what a shame..." she smiled mischievously as she spoke.

"He's away, sorry, though Jed, Tel, Jenni and her new fiancé are on Earth right now taking a break for a few days, perhaps you'd like to contact them and give Zoe a call as well...?"

"Lu, I think I love you. One question... Can we get Reep's credit cards?"

Luornu smiled as she handed over a credit disc, "Don't bankrupt us Marya, and be back in eight hours, okay?"

Marya smiled broadly, today was a good day.

As Dragonwing led the two new Legionnaires towards Henry's warp control room Duplicate Girl smiled, she knew that Hethuk had been working nonstop for days and would be needed for many more to come... and Marya could be spiky... Not that Lu couldn't be too... So Duplicate Girl had arranged this little treat. With so many new and inexperienced legionnaires on the base right now she'd taken it upon herself to make sure they weren't becoming burdened by the increase in activity lately. And if that meant arranging the odd shopping trip, no matter how distasteful she found them herself, then that's what she would do... anything for her team.

Harbinger #918881 12/21/16 09:32 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer

With Mon El in the lead the three Legionnaires flew into the great maw at the front of the huge invaders craft.

<We are not alone Lar... I can sense others around us>

<Good! Let them see what I'm away....>

As Dawnstar and the Green Lantern watched, the starry mist that had previously been a precursor to Mon El and the Green Lantern's being warped back to Sol appeared around them again. This time the Legionnaires took evasive action, darting off at separate tangents into the great ship before them. Dawnstar flew upwards towards what looked like a 30 klick wide city hanging down in towers, spires and ornate arches from the ceiling where the winged Legionnaire swung in close and easily evaded the trailing tendril. The Green Lantern spun back upon herself and swiftly retreated noticing that as she flew across the threshold to the great ships interior the strange cloud evaporated and vanished, only reappearing when she tried to return. Mon El flew forwards. He judged there to be about 200 klicks to the far wall and he was there in under a second. As he reached what looked like an exotic wall hanging covered in beads, thread and strips of shiny metals that stretched for at least sixty klicks on each side the sphere made of dark rotating tiles appeared before him again.

It hung in front of the Daxamite for several seconds. Mon El resisted the urge to smash it into dust, before he turned and flew away.... whatever this robot sentry thing was, he thought, it wouldn't give him the answers he really needed. As he flew back towards the centre of the great maw, in the hope of meeting up with his teammates the sphere overtook him and positioned itself before him again.

<We come for what is lost. It is time for it to be returned. You have no place here.> The childlike telepathic communication irritated the Daxamite.

<You are killing people below, smashing their city and destroying the livelihoods of those left behind... I definitely have a place here... I'm here to stop you!>

<You are a piece of the game that is to be removed. Do not return.>

Once again Mon El found himself in space just a light second or so from Legion World.

<GODDAMN IT!> The Daxamite cursed as he zoomed back to the Legion's base. Without stopping, he flew through the security field at the Northern Docking Bay and tore along corridors until he reached Henry's warp control room. The holo of the man from the future faded into view as Mon El flew through the doors.

"Send me back Henry... now!"

There was a crackle of energy but no warp appeared.

"I'm sorry Mon El but I can no longer open a warp within the Kardavatian system anymore. This is most disturbing..."

Harbinger #918882 12/21/16 09:32 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Investigation of invasion of Kardavatia

Dr Richard Kent Shakespeare -Impulse – Chief medical officer - enhanced strength, speed, durability, stamina

<Brin, set your flight ring to scan for technology... There might be some old Coluan tech down here, so be careful, their smart-tech can be tricky>

<Gotcha... This hole goes down pretty far, I reckon I've come a klick and am still dropping>

Element Lad and Kid Quantum had activated the flashlight setting on their flight rings as they dropped into the darkness. As they dropped the Legionnaires had examined the sides of the pit: whatever had come through here had fused the sides into a smooth dark glass. The Legionnaires warped reflections kept pace with them as they dropped. Jazmin thought they looked creepy but kept her views to herself.

Not far above them the Spear of Artemis did not need the flashlight to see. She could clearly make out the fall underneath them. Timber Wolf had sped ahead and while Amynta knew he could be tough she worried that he might not be strong enough to face whatever had fused the walls around them. She held her enchanted spear ready and gave a silent prayer to her Goddess that whatever they about to face would not find her easy to defeat.

<Hey guys, it's vast down here... you gotta see this. Brainy's gonna want to move here!>

<What is it Brin?> Jan's cool response.

<Tech city! Wow... it's like Brainy's lab on a grand scale. I won't touch anything until you get here, don't worry>

<Okay... Amynta, can you get down there, make sure it's secure, please> And don't let Brin cause too much damage, Jan thought to himself careful not to broadcast it along the flight rings generated artificial telepathic communication relay.

There was a whoosh of air as the Amazonian warrior sped past.

"What do you think it is?" Jazmin asked the team leader.

"No idea, but I just hope we can stop it from destroying more of the city above."

Ayla had been scanning the sky above while the newest Karate Kid helped two people from out of a rubble strewn building.

"The Invaders small crafts seem to have gone... I wonder if that's Mon El's doing?" She spoke her thoughts aloud before floating down towards her teammate. "Hey there, I'm Ayla Ranzz, here to help." She gave her widest smile as she introduced herself to the rescued couple so she wouldn't look too threatening. The dust covered couple held each other but didn't speak.

"We have a refuge for you and your neighbours nearby, can we carry you? It will be much easier..." Karate Kid asked

Several moments later the two Legionnaires dropped the shocked natives off in the park where Dr Shakespeare was examining the crowds. He saw them coming and waved his teammates in towards an open space where he quickly scanned the couple.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine, nothing to worry about, only a little shock is all." The muscular medic smiled warmly and ushered the two towards a temporary urn where they could get a refreshing drink.

<Ayla... wait, we need to talk>

Cautiously Kent used his flight ring to float up into the air. Ayla smiled, she had heard he disliked using this function and struggled during the basic training. He signalled for them to rise further above the crowd below and didn't stop until they were several hundred feet higher.

<What's up doc?>

<We have a mystery here Legionnaires> He broadcast while adjusting his spectacles.

<They're all relatively unhurt and keep silent?> Asked Karate Kid. Lightning Lass shot her teammate a glance, she hadn't noticed.

<Yup, that's part of it... gawds I hope the flight ring doesn't break, I hate being this high up...> Ayla flew next to the doctor and put her arm through his with a small smile. She could see how uncomfortable he was and empathised as she had felt quite spooked when she had first used on of the rings to fly. <Anyway, I've scanned them all and they're all in perfect health, absolutely perfect. No bacteria, no parasites, no healed fracture lines in their bones, no VTE or...>

<Okay, so what does that mean? Are they human?> Lightning Lass interrupted. Ayla Ranzz had stopped smiling.

<Oh yes, they are all definitely 100% human, just not ones that have any right to exist in the real world... actually, they're more like an absolutely perfect simulations of humans. I can't explain this as I've never seen anything like it before or even heard of such a case. I'd say they're the perfect humans... only I don't believe in anything like that.>

<Synthetics?> asked Karate Kid.

<If they are then it's the most advanced synths I could ever imagine> the medic replied.

<umm... Guys, look down...> Ayla pointed below them. Dr Shakespeare took a deep breath before looking; contrary to what Jan thought he was not scared of heights so much as scared of vast open spaces between his feet and terra firma... Surely, he thought, this was only normal?

Below the floating Legionnaires the crowds of locals that they had rescued all silently stared up towards them.

<you need to leave, we do not wish for anyone to get hurt> the telepathic voice had a childlike quality though they each knew that the voice was ancient beyond their perception.

Harbinger #918899 12/22/16 03:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Great scene with Dragonwing and her resisting giving the hotfoot. Her thought on the bias of news channels towards the Saturnian worlds is a nice touch - people do tend to focus on what is close to home.

Lu suggesting the shopping spree was both brilliant and compassionate.

And the plot thickens on Kardavatia... I laughed at Kent's struggle with the flight ring, not everyone likes flying...

Harbinger #919446 12/29/16 12:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I read a big chunk of this story at once, so comments go back a ways.

Loved the Maine restaurant scene. I was thinking that Po is like a Stepford boyfriend, there just seems to be something off about his "easy-going" ways. Maybe this is what Tel is picking up on?

Poor Loutrahim, the angry young man. Did he have to be on his own turf before he could tell the others off? Mantis Morlo surprised me as well, I was thinking Cosmic King.

What skullduggery is afoot on Lallor? That's a good mystery, I'm not sure to what degree the Heroes are willing participants in whatever's going on, or if they feel compelled to deceive.

Loved the scene with Kinetix and Mrruaw. He's one of my favourites, being a cat and all, but also for his outsider views on humans. Teasing the Academy students - who better than those two for hijinks?

I also loved the scene with Tinya and Lydda, it was like a one-act play. So much unspoken emotion between the two, how each saw the other and misread them to some degree. I could really feel the discomfort of the silence in that Monitor Room. They just don't like each other, there's no anger or bitterness, but there is a gulf in understanding.

Two people in Doug's mind - another fascinating mystery to follow.

What confidence to let Marya have a credit card for eight hours!

Human, but simulation... very curious! You certainly know how to keep your readers hooked and waiting for the rest of the story!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Re: Legion Worlds Four (updated 11 January)
Harbinger #920410 01/11/17 12:23 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Telllus had taken the Mordecai across to the Legion's new base in the former Tyrrazians battle world.

The golem had made small mewling noises that the legionnaire had learned meant it was curious but thankfully so far it didn't seem especially concerned. Ganglios didn't need to focus to read the golems mind as its surface thoughts and feelings were not shielded, so without any effort he could sense its emotional state. The initial fear the creature had broadcast when they had released it from the Emerald Empresses control had long gone and in the months since it had settled into a peaceful routine whereby it happily sat in the methane chamber Tellus called home occasionally stepping outside to wander the corridors for a few hours.

The majority of the Legionnaires and students didn't interact with it unless they encountered it on one of its walks and the great golem appeared quite content with its solitary life. Tellus understood that it enjoyed this solitude and had bonded on some deep level with the Hykraian legionnaire, like a puppy to a new owner. Tellus disliked thinking of himself as owning any living being though it was the best analogy he could come up with, though he had to amit the truth that Mordecai had the intelligence and emotional needs of a house pet.

The quarters assigned to them on the new planetoid were easily ten times the size of their previous ones. Henry had warped methane sea from Great Mother Ocean on the Legionnaire home world directly into the cavernous chamber and transported soil, nutrient giving plants and algae to line the floors and two of the walls. Two long zigzagging mezzanine levels, also covered with Hykraian plants, ran along one wall while at the far end several huge crystal monoliths were placed casually. Hanging from the ceiling were dozens of long bulbous Shotchenkin vines, a plant that was a rich source of nutrients the Hykraians often nibbled on as a treat. As Tellus entered he felt the relief of one who returns home after many years away; the familiarity of the smells and sensations were enough to immediately release the tension he had felt before coming here.

Behind him he could sense the Mordecai's curiosity so gently he telepathically reassured the Golem that they were safe and it was free to explore. The Golems mind was initially concerned but as the legionnaire swam off it rippled with understanding; here was their new home, bigger and better than before.

The Golem's mind glowed with happiness as for only the second time in its existence the Mordecai felt truly at home.

Ganglios was happy that it had settled so quickly into their new home though worried that in the long term it wouldn't have the peace it deserved to enjoy it.

Harbinger #920411 01/11/17 12:26 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer

Dr Noah Kabbo persuaded Loutrahim to wait until the team's distorters had given them suitable disguises before leaving the apartment.

Harmonia had realised that Starkling had not been issued with a distorter so suggested the composite being practice one of the shapes that Yera had taught it. The small ball bearing sized particles swarmed around before assuming something like that of a very large dog. Harmonia congratulated Starkling and suggested it unravel a string of it's parts towards her hand; much like a leash of sorts, she said. As she made contact the distorter in her belt enlarged it's illusion and at her side there appeared an Irish Wolfhound of quite monumental proportions.

"no-one'll come near us now... good!" And with that Loutrahim pulled open the door and stepped out into the corridor.

The Legionnaires each expected far worse than they encountered. The wide corridors on Sixth House were gray and bleak, graffiti and some signs of fires long extinguished were the only markers between apartment doors. There was no one in sight.

"Must be mid-Early Shift... Rarely this quiet." Loutrahim muttered. At his side Dr Kabbo could sense there were many people close by, though all were asleep.

They had walked for several hundred metres when the corridor opened up into an atrium. There were several dozen people asleep in doorways though they team didn't see anyone else until they strode onto the open platform for the internal tube system. The Legionnaires, hidden behind illusions generated by their distorters, strode onto a carriage. There were half a dozen other people on board, all of whom turned towards the group, their expressions displayed their fears. Within this district a large group usually meant trouble...

<Harmonia...> Dr Kabbo telepathically spoke to the team leader <Loutrahim's emotions are being increasingly manipulated, I would suggest you are cautious>

<Is he planning to lead us into a trap?>

<Its doubtful though there is a fog around his mind. He is being driven so perhaps his father has plans for us once we arrive>

<Thank you Noah, we shall be careful>

Less than two minutes later the team disembarked and strode into an obviously industrial area.

"My old lab is down here... It's where I used to hide out..."

"Is that where you are meeting your father? " asked Harmonia.

"Yeah... He's there already." Loutrahim grudgingly replied. They approached a nondescript doorway where the young laboratory assistant held up his hand for the scanners to read.

"You've brought friends..." a voice said from a grill at the side of the doorway, it's disapproval obvious.

"Yeah... They didn't trust me..."

"Dr Morlo, this is Harmonia Li of the Legion. Your son is currently employed as my assistant..."

A spray of green gasses burst out from grills both above and below which quickly solidified around the team trapping them within it.

Dr Kabbo used his psychic skills to keep Loutrahim calm. The young Venusians rage had erupted as the attack happened. Noah Kabbo could sense the anger at this apparent betrayal and hoped to stop the young man from reacting n case it led to an action that they all regretted.

Even as the strange mist started to change its state Thirteen concentrated on reversing the probability that caused the mist to solidify so reverting it back into its gaseous state.

Chemical Kid neutralised the materials cohesion, sending it dripping to the floor. In total the team were trapped for under ten seconds as the two Legionnaires used their abilities to free their teammates. As they sloughed the last of the green goo from their clothes Comet Queen complained that it stunk while Comet King flew into the air generating a blast of noxious gas into the grill above. Starkling's swarmed behind them, its component parts clacked and clicked as they struck each other to remove the last of the trapping material.

"Legionnaires... We are not alone." Harmonia looked around, as from the shadows of the industrial estate a dozen hulking shapes approached the team. Mantis Morlo had sent his Chemoids to get them.

Hadru Jamik smiled.

The Chemoids were a genius creation; reactive, semi-autonomous, adaptive and... Let's not ignore it, huge and quite scary looking! Chemical Kid stepped in front of his colleagues and stretched out his abilities to stop any chemical reactions within his opponents. And, after little more than a second the dozen lumbering shapes slowed down before they collapsed entirely.

"Hadru, you're stellarific!" Comet Queen said, clapping her hands together as she watched the Chemoids collapse.

"No bother Grava, it was easy... "

"Too easy starshine." Comet King muttered darkly.

Harbinger #920412 01/11/17 12:33 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Investigating invasion of Kardavitia

Dr Richard Kent Shakespeare -Impulse – Chief medical officer - enhanced strength, speed, durability, stamina

Below the city Timber Wolf used the flashlight function of his flight ring to look around.

He floated in the entrance of what appeared to be a cavernous room, too large to see the far walls in the darkness, filled with tubes and pipes and wires and pillars...

"You don't need the light?" he asked as he heard the Spear of Artemis approach.

"My sight is fine without it." she replied as she flew to join him.

"How big is this place 'mynta?" he asked.

"At least as big as our own engineering section... I estimate at least two Klicks to the far wall." she replied.

"How come our scanners didn't pick this up? It's a frickin' space ship the size of a starliner..." Brin Londo scratched his head as he spoke. There was something here that set him on edge, he knew they were missing something important.

The lights from their teammates flight rings flashed around them.

"Hey Jan... Wotcha make of this? Shouldn't our scanners have picked this up?"

"Whatever it is there's some strange radiation here..."Kid Quantum said, reading from a hard light screen read out of the scanner flight ring mode.

"Will the Eco-protect function manage?" Timber Wolf looked at the small golden ring on his finger as he asked.

"Let's get out of here, the scans will... Whats that?" As Element Lad spoke a ball appeared out of the darkness, rolling through the air before them. Amynta flew in front of her colleagues, her enchanted spear ready in her hand.

<You are not part of this game> an unknown telepathic voice echoed across their minds.

"We are from the Legion... We are peacekeepers..." Element Lad started to speak.

<You are not part of this game. Leave>

"Uh... Guys, the flight rings saying one of these met Mon El and teleported him away... Do we really want to...." Kid Quantum was silenced as a sparkling mist surrounded the team. Brin Londo grabbed her around the waist as he dashed past, pulling her along. He grunted as he dove out of the entrance and sped up the tunnel.

"It got Jan and 'mynta... C'mon Kid, we need to get topside and regroup."

Inside the gigantic craft Dawnstar continued to easily evade the strands of the strange mist that had sent Mon El bck to Legion World. The realised that whatever technology this strange craft contained they had been lucky that the invaders had only chosen to teleport her teammate away. She continued to duck and dive, all the while scanning the strange sights around her with her flight ring. Dawnstar hoped that back on Legion World Brainiac 5 was looking through the scans and they would reveal a weakness the team could exploit as, right at that moment, she felt particularly powerless in the face of such an enormous challenge.

Kent Shakespeare and Karate Kid floated down to the crowd below. Lightning Lass had remained above, keeping an overview of the situation... Just in case.

"What is going on?" the medic asked as his feet touched the ground. He tried to project as much confidence as possible as he fought back his discomfort after floating on the air.

<You do not belong here. The game is not yours to play>

"What game? Those invaders are destroying your city, your homes have been destroyed...."

<To proceed they must find us. We have avoided them for over 40,000 revolutions. You must leave so no harm becomes you>

"You're joking?" Dr Shakespearesounded angry as he questioned the crowd. He turned to Karate Kid and groaned.

"I think I understand what's happening now and it's so weird we should get get out of here."

In space above the planet Dkyun Mu considered her options. She floated before the enormous craft. Her flight ring had told her that Mon El had been teleported away again and Dawnstar was still somewhere inside. This mission had not been as successful as the team had expected. Their direct action had only resulted in the invaders casual dismissal of them. The Green Lantern knew that she would need a new tactic if they were to succeed. Accessing her Oan power ring the Green lantern of Xudar hoped there would be some record of this enormously powerful enemy. It took several seconds as billions of years of universal history were accessed. When the result finally appeared she understood what had to be done to end this situation and she worried that her teammates would probably not like it.

Harbinger #920872 01/20/17 02:42 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
bump

Heads up -- as we all enjoy the onset of Retroboot Mania, let's please remember which Legion Worlder it was who first showed us that there was hidden gold in the Retroboot concept.

Thanks, Harbi.

Saturday is almost always my "Black-Eyed Susan" day, as in "...rest and do nothing..." so I will read as much of this volume as I can, and comment accordingly at whatever point I end up.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Harbinger #920919 01/21/17 02:14 PM
Harbi, I've been spending most of the last hour searching for the best words with which to critique what I've read of Legion Worlds Volume Four.

Just as you are always candid to me in the most constructive ways whenever you critique my work, so I feel I should be to you. So please keep that in mind while reading my comments ahead.

First of all, the greatest strengths that I feel you've show in earlier installments of Legion Worlds remain in good form: I admire -- and I also continue to try and emulate -- the compassion, empathy, and lack of judgment you show towards the characters you are chronicling. The same holds true for your wonderful descriptive abilities and the obvious thought and care you put into both the established worlds you elaborate on and the ones you come up with yourself.

Secondly, I have often interpreted your self-criticism towards your abilities as an action writer as being a bit too harsh on yourself. In particular, I found the extended battle scene in Legion Worlds Volume Two against the Daughters of Black Adam to be breathtaking!!

All of the above being said, it pains me to admit that I feel as if the things which I think you most need to work on are simply not getting worked on enough. Specifically, your stories have become so dense, and so over-crowded with characters, that the pace often suffers, and...please forgive me for saying this, but I'm doing my best to be honest yet fair...I often find myself getting impatient and easily distracted as I read them.

I'm certainly not accusing you of committing writerly missteps on the level of, say, my bete noire among active comic book writers, Jonathan Hickman. Not at all. You are far more talented than he will ever be, IMHO.

However, I think that just as you were quite frank with me in the recent past that I tend to leave out too many important details, and I need to work on my descriptive abilities, and I sometimes settle for shortcuts in order to move the story along faster, so I should be equally frank with you. Because I feel that your critiques have improved my stories greatly, even if I still backslide on occasion (see Cramer's insightful observation regarding Dragonwing's betrayal of Harmonia in my current story-arc for the best recent example), and hopefully what I have written in this post will be helpful to you.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Harbinger #920921 01/21/17 03:07 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Thank you Raquel, and I have to admit I agree. I often get frustrated reading my own work so I absolutely share your feelings.

It's something I do need to work on, trying to stop over thinking every scene so it shows how all the characters involved react, feel, think. Yup, it gets dull.

Still, I'll take that compliment about the action scenes as I really do struggle writing them so worry they are torturous to read.

Love your honesty amd glad you shared it as I will definitely take it onboard going forward.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,854
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
brigort
brigort
PEI, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star