Roll Call
1 members (Reboot), 13 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Re: DC Comics Rebirth
Fanfic Lady #901821 07/03/16 10:10 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Thanks, Andy.

I'm giving Titans, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman a hard pass because they're all written by writers I don't like.

Yeah I had similar trepidation. As it is, I picked up the first books just to see.
Aquaman #1 is better than Aquaman Rebirth
Wonder Woman I'm playing by ear (I get REALLY annoyed at Diana, Goddess of War stuff)
As it is, I'm still giving them 2-3 issues each

Is anyone other that me planning to try Phil Jimenez & Emanuela Lupacchino's Superwoman next month?

HECK YEAH!!!!
I met Phil at a conference last year. We had a nice lunch. I'm now totally committed to supporting his work
Plus I totally want to see where he goes with it. One of his best WW stories was IMO the interview with Lois

Last edited by Myg - Andy S; 07/03/16 10:11 AM.
Sarcasm Kid #901829 07/03/16 12:35 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Agreed about the Lois/WW issue!

I'm glad you got to meet Phil, he seems like a cool guy.

Any person who is fond of quoting Jane Badler's villainess character in "V" is all right with me.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Sarcasm Kid #901860 07/04/16 02:45 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Fanfie, no gratuitous gore or ultra violence / sensationalism in any of the series yet. In fact, until you asked, I hadn't even realized it. So that is very nice!

I also read Wonder Woman, which was okay. It appears Rucka is spending a lot of time undoing the last series and as I'd rather not think about the last few years, I wasn't overly invested in the issue.

In a similar vein, Green Lanterns, starring Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz, was pretty good but like Andy, I don't know these characters and am still finding a reason to want to connect. But it was good enough for me to continue to try.

I can say that so far, there hasn't been a single bad issue to start which is shocking. But it's early days yet so I'll wait and see.

I'll probably also get Superwoman #1 for that awesome creative team.

Lardy, I don't have a ton of time to give big reviews but what I'd say is so far the various series are spending a lot of time (a) focusing on the characterization of the leads and their supporting casts and (b) trying to tell a good story--either a single issue story or part of a larger one--that isn't focused on any larger DC event (other than Titans).

I think you'd probably dig Green Arrow so far. There is a clear attempt to reconcile the classic Oliver Queen with the Arrow tv show and the fact that he's younger now. The best part has been the dynamic with Dinah, giving the two of them scenes together that are really great--amd I can't remember the last time I enjoyed Ollie and Dinah together on-panel. But these things are not the entire series; there is an interesting human trafficking plot going on as well that is scary and mysterious, while not sensational--very much in the mode of 90's comics.

Sarcasm Kid #902717 07/13/16 03:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Detective Comics is so good. I'm quite shocked.

Super-Man is an interesting idea but uneven in execution.

Wonder Woman brought me into the Paradise Island days in a charming way. And Nicola Scott's art is great - Steve Trevor is hot.

I think I'm done with Aquaman ... gave it a couple issues but meh... I'm only picking up Aquaman and Batman for their younger heroes (Jackson and Duke, respectively).

Sarcasm Kid #902723 07/13/16 06:47 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I'm honestly thinking of giving Batman a try again. I found Scott Snyder's stuff to be largely overrated save for a couple of things here and there, but I'm curious about "Gotham" and "Gotham Girl." And I found myself more intrigued with Duke Thomas here than I was in We Are Robin, if I can be honest.

New Super-Man's got me interested, and I'm hoping the writer has got more room to work on this than with that stupid "Truth" storyline.

Sarcasm Kid #903145 07/18/16 03:42 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
July reactions so far (last two weeks worth).

- Batman was excellent again. So was Detective Comics. The art, the stories, the overall pacing and characterization: just excellent.

- still really enjoying the hell out of Green Arrow. A lot of these elements we've seen before, but I'm liking the overall execution and I'm liking all the character beats.

- Wonder Woman #2, which is the first Nicola Scott issue, was phenomenal.

- Flash #2 was good but the art is a little scratchy for my tastes. Still, the story is strong and feels like a Mark Waid-ish "Silver Age tale told in modern sensibilities". Which is a good thing.

- I'm actually liking Aquaman. This issue was mostly about Aquaman and Black Manta, but that's a dynamic I like. Overall it's been a fun superhero series so far even if this issue in particular was more action over substance.

- The Justice League Rebirth special was pretty good. It's still a little hard for me to get used to this League, and the different GLs and Superman continuity confuses things more, but it was actually a solid issue. It's counter intuitive, but I liked Bryan Hitch's writing here, while not really enjoying his scratchy art and the murky colors. But I haven't really loved Hitch's stuff since Ultimates.

So 7 in and no real complaints on any of them. The rest to come shortly.

Sarcasm Kid #903288 07/20/16 06:20 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Rounding out my reactions to the first two weeks of Rebirth titles:

- Superman #2 was terrific. Pete Tomasi has always been a good writer and he is especially good in exploring the father / son dynamic, as he does here.

- Action Comics was also pretty good. It's a bit too action-heavy but the general Superman & Luthor versus Doomsday action isn't bad. And as I start to get my bearings now on the current status of the Superman universe, I'm becoming interested in what is in store for "Clark", Jimmy and the Daily Planet.

- New Super-Man, featuring a new Chinese teenager who gains the power of Superman, was "okay". Of all of them so far, this probably fell the flatest, though I'm up for giving it another issue. There is a good set-up so far, but it's hard for me to see how this could stand up on its own without the overt Superman connections.

- Green Lanterns, featuring Jessica and Simon was still pretty good. This issue served to really introduce Jessica in full while it moved towards the larger Red Lanterns plot, and that worked for me, as I actually finally started to get some semblance of who she was. Not much more happened in the issue that that, but I guess that's still pretty good.

- Hal Jordan & the Green Lanterns Corp Rebirth special was good, and with excellent Van Scrier artwork, but it was for the most part an introductory issue to Hal and the larger GLC mythos. Kind of a "here is where the mythos is right now", which was useful in a way but unnecessary for me.

- Nightwing Rebirth was in the same vein, in that it essentially acts as bridge from them great Grayson series to the new Nightwing series as Dick reestablishes his identity. Here, though, I just really enjoyed it and that is because I enjoyed the Grayson series myself and understood all the references. I have high hopes for Nightwing and if this special did anything, it showed the creators appear to have Dick figured out pretty well.

So all in all, still pretty good! Some are great (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc.), some are "not bad / pretty good" category (Green Lanterns) and only (1) felt more mundane that anything, which was New Super-Man, which I'm prepared to give another issue tryout too.

I'm admittingly shocked that I'm enjoying things so far.

Sarcasm Kid #904651 08/03/16 04:39 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
One of the things Lardy has talked a lot about on LW is how modern comics have lost a lot of the old comic book story telling sensibilities. Well, one of the things I really like about DC Rebirth so far has been the excellent usage of captions! I've noticed it across numerous titles: Batman, Green Arrow, etc., and they have been used exactly as they should be: to give added meaning to what the reader is seeing on the page, and when needed, to give insight into a particular character's thoughts (usually the lead). It also allows the comic to be a more engaging experience rather than a 90 second "cinematic experience" or whatever crap was being passed off as comics over the last 15 years.

I hope this is an industry trend from here on out.

Sarcasm Kid #904670 08/03/16 06:43 AM
Agreed, Cobie. It brings the trades closer to being TRUE graphic novels.

Sarcasm Kid #904680 08/03/16 08:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So far the Rebirth stuff continues to be good.

I picked up Suicide Squad because the new writer acknowledged how the series had gone a little left in the New 52 (I'm a huge Ostrander Suicide Squad fan and never picked up the book during the 52). The tension between Waller and Obama was great, the writing was smooth, and the introduction of the Squad was tight (albeit dizzying).

Nightwing - yay!

Batman - I feel like I missed an issue. The Gothams demonstrate how dangerous superpowered beings are - an apt issue in the Bat universe. Duke has a good moment, but I want more.

Green Lanterns - I'm finally getting into Simon and Jessica. I'm learning more about them. The writer has used the action well to reveal their characters. Simon is finally not acting like Guy Gardner's mean little brother. His family is great.

Justice League - I like the Batman/Superman dynamic, touched briefly in this issue. The art was great and moved along. Jessica looks Asian though (which was distracting). Watching Barry in the Justice League makes me fond for my memories of Wally in the JLA.

Still haven't found my way to Green Arrow or Flash. And I dropped Aquaman.

Sarcasm Kid #905774 08/15/16 02:43 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Despite not caring about Deathstroke in years, I've found myself having high hopes for the new series because it's the first new Christopher Priest series in an age. And I'm happy to say I was not let down. There's all kinds of badassery, action and uber-assassin stuff for those who need it (and let's face it, it's a Deathstroke comic), but already Priest is injecting the series with some heavy commentary on family, being a parent and--I hope--making amends. It's a bit too early to say, but I see a lot of potential here and I hope Priest takes us there. And in the typical unusual and interesting way he does that sort of thing. The art by Carlo Pagulayan and Jason Paz is excellent too, and makes the action sequences dynamic and edge of your seat quality.

Slade Wilson is a thoroughly unlikable son of a bitch. But Priest has me interested in where he's going, and if I'll end up liking him after all.

Myg - Andy S #905877 08/16/16 02:00 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
I picked up Suicide Squad because the new writer acknowledged how the series had gone a little left in the New 52 (I'm a huge Ostrander Suicide Squad fan and never picked up the book during the 52). The tension between Waller and Obama was great, the writing was smooth, and the introduction of the Squad was tight (albeit dizzying).

I also liked it a lot too. I've tried out every version of the Squad DC has given us since the original one was cancelled all those years ago, and this one felt the closest to the originals tone & theme, albeit in a style of its own. The Waller / POTUS scenes were solid and the ultimate ending, with decisions by Flagg and the Squad was classic Ostrander Squad.

"Dizzying" is a good word but it works nicely, and starting small with a just a few characters was probably a good mood. The art is kinetic and full of bright colors, which is much different than the old SS, but it works here.

All in all, I liked it! Even Boomer's dialogue felt right.

Sarcasm Kid #907206 08/31/16 07:15 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So my Dad is reading comics on a regular basis for the first time in 20 years thanks to DC Rebirth. If for nothing else, I'll always be thankful for this!

His absolute favorites are All-Star Batman and Wonder Woman so far, but he also loves most of the Batman and Superman titles too, and really likes Aquaman. But for the most part, he likes just about all of them. So much so, that he's convinced me that we are going to sample every single one that comes out, even the ones that I normally wouldn't even try.

We've done just that, so here are a few of my impressions:

Harley Quinn - while I love Harley from teh Animated Series when I was a kid, I've never bought a Harley comic before. The best way I can describe it is to use the phrase my Dad did: "female Lobo". It's really just like that, but with added sex appeal that is constantly (though sometimes subtly) played up. I really can't recommend this to anyone unless they are looking for something totally off the wall and fun along the lines of Deadpool or Lobo.

Hellblazer - I've never been a steady Constantine collector, especially given the last few years of series. But we gave this a shot and I was pleasantly surprised to see Moritat, an artist I loved on the Spirit, providing the artwork. Not only did his art not let me down, but I actually liked the entire thing so far: tight writing, with a a pretty good usage of Constantine. The series, though firmly set in the DCU and firmly not 'mature readers', still feels a lot like the old Hellblazer series. I like the usage of Swamp Thing thus far, and I'm interested. We're going to keep buying.

Red Hood and the Outlaws - this one I was prepared to hate and I actually tried to get my Dad to skip it. But you know...eff me, I kind of liked it. The story was pretty solid with a lot of drama and action, and the build up to the final splash page worked, and felt like classic comic book superhero action. It featured a lot of Jason and Damien Wayne, two characters that a few years ago I couldn't stand, but here I kind of liked their interaction. While I'm sure my genuine goodwill and positive feelings towards superhero comics in general these days helped matters, I'm still surprised that I liked this series enough to keep getting it.

Meanwhile, we wouldn't wait to pick up Blue Beetle since Ted Kord is one of my Dad's favorites. I thought overall it was a pretty good issue, even though Giffen loves to write stories in such a way that you never quite know exactly what the hell is going on. The Giffen / Kollins pairing is not my favorite, and there was far too many talking heads in the first quarter of the issue, but overall it was a fun story, and I loved seeing Ted Kord working with Jamie. I also like Jamie's supporting cast. There is plenty of room for improvement but it was good enough to keep getting. Now if only they can change the current BB costume which is just terrible.

BTW, my Dad is 63 years old and I'm 35 to give you some idea of where we both are on the spectrum. I typed the word "Dad" so many times right there that I felt like I was 13 again.

Cobalt Kid #907218 08/31/16 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Despite not caring about Deathstroke in years, I've found myself having high hopes for the new series because it's the first new Christopher Priest series in an age. And I'm happy to say I was not let down. There's all kinds of badassery, action and uber-assassin stuff for those who need it (and let's face it, it's a Deathstroke comic), but already Priest is injecting the series with some heavy commentary on family, being a parent and--I hope--making amends. It's a bit too early to say, but I see a lot of potential here and I hope Priest takes us there. And in the typical unusual and interesting way he does that sort of thing. The art by Carlo Pagulayan and Jason Paz is excellent too, and makes the action sequences dynamic and edge of your seat quality.

Slade Wilson is a thoroughly unlikable son of a bitch. But Priest has me interested in where he's going, and if I'll end up liking him after all.

I've had a copy of "Deathstroke: Rebirth" laying around unread since the week it was released. And that was, what, a month ago? Now, I think Priest is an awesome person -- a fine writer, an underappreciated editor (Little Known Fact: Priest gave Peter David his first comic-book writing break because Priest always remembered that before his promotion from Marvel staffer to Marvel editor, the only two people at Marvel who had given Priest the time of day were his mentor, Larry Hama, and his fellow lowly Marvel staffer, Peter David) and a vivid character worthy of being the subject of a book.

But...I kinda wish Priest was working on a less difficult, less morally ambiguous character than Deathstroke. To me, the idea of reading a Deathstroke solo book is like eating a meal that's too heavily spiced (and I should add that I never read any of the previous Deathstroke solo books.)

Who knows? Maybe this Deathstroke book will open doors for Priest to do something more to my liking in the not-too-distant-future. And I am open to the possibility of borrowing the first Priest Deathstroke trade from the library when it comes out.

Cobalt Kid #907220 08/31/16 10:42 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I typed the word "Dad" so many times right there that I felt like I was 13 again.

Keep posting reviews or you're grounded young man! smile

Having your dad read comics again is great Cobie. Especially in such volume too. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the other titles.

I got to read all of the DCNu titles when they came out and I don't think any lasted the year. A few were OK, but not enough to keep my interest. That, and not really rating any of the sneak peeks has put me off.

So, I'll be really keen to see which ones you both keep going with. The only ones I'm even aware of are the Jimenez Superwoman and Levitz still on Dr Fate.

Really good post on the return of some storytelling to make the comic experience more engaging. Dropping things like Encyclopedia Galactica was put down to the availability of online information. But it lessened the immersion of the Legion for me. It certainly cut down on the reading time. Considering the price, that's a factor for me. I like to have the feeling I've read something, as opposed to skimming a brochure.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Cobalt Kid #907222 08/31/16 10:57 AM
So my Dad is reading comics on a regular basis for the first time in 20 years thanks to DC Rebirth. If for nothing else, I'll always be thankful for this!

I'm delighted to hear this, Cobie. Happy reading to Papa Cobalt!

Harley Quinn - while I love Harley from teh Animated Series when I was a kid, I've never bought a Harley comic before. The best way I can describe it is to use the phrase my Dad did: "female Lobo". It's really just like that, but with added sex appeal that is constantly (though sometimes subtly) played up. I really can't recommend this to anyone unless they are looking for something totally off the wall and fun along the lines of Deadpool or Lobo.

I, too, was a fan of the animated Harley, but when I read the first volume collecting the Karl Kesel/Terry Dodson Harley solo book, it was obvious to me that she, like Deathstroke (see above,) is not cut out to be a solo act. The more a writer explores under the surface, the more disturbing in becomes. Obviously, hundreds of thousands of readers disagree with me, but even if they didn't, I'd still be avoiding the meaner, more violent Harley of recent years. I preferred her when she was child-like and not quite kill-happy.

Hellblazer - I've never been a steady Constantine collector, especially given the last few years of series. But we gave this a shot and I was pleasantly surprised to see Moritat, an artist I loved on the Spirit, providing the artwork. Not only did his art not let me down, but I actually liked the entire thing so far: tight writing, with a a pretty good usage of Constantine. The series, though firmly set in the DCU and firmly not 'mature readers', still feels a lot like the old Hellblazer series. I like the usage of Swamp Thing thus far, and I'm interested. We're going to keep buying.

I might wait on the trade to arrive at the library for this one, because about six-months-to-a-year from now, that beautifully packaged new series of trades collecting the original Hellblazer run is going to reach the Mike Carey era. And even though he overstayed his welcome by about 15 issues, his Hellblazer run up to issue #200 is my personal favorite run on that book. I cannot recommend highly enough the first 25 of so issues of the Carey Hellblazer, and I hope that you and Lardy and other casual Constantine fans, along with readers like FC, who is ambivalent about JC but has enjoyed some of the stories he has starred in, will all finally give the Mike Carey era a go when it becomes available again next year.

Meanwhile, we wouldn't wait to pick up Blue Beetle since Ted Kord is one of my Dad's favorites. I thought overall it was a pretty good issue, even though Giffen loves to write stories in such a way that you never quite know exactly what the hell is going on. The Giffen / Kollins pairing is not my favorite, and there was far too many talking heads in the first quarter of the issue, but overall it was a fun story, and I loved seeing Ted Kord working with Jamie. I also like Jamie's supporting cast. There is plenty of room for improvement but it was good enough to keep getting. Now if only they can change the current BB costume which is just terrible.

It breaks my heart to give this one a pass now that Ted Kord is back, but the creative team consists of my least favorite writer in the world, and an artist who is definitely in my Bottom Five. Sorry, Ted.

BTW, my Dad is 63 years old and I'm 35 to give you some idea of where we both are on the spectrum. I typed the word "Dad" so many times right there that I felt like I was 13 again.

That is so wonderfully heartwarming. Thanks for sharing, Cobie.

Sarcasm Kid #907223 08/31/16 11:21 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Actually FL, the art by Kolins is a LOT cleaner and less scratchy than it's been looking in the last couple of years.

Sarcasm Kid #907224 08/31/16 11:51 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
AND, Giffen hasn't killed a Karate Kid! ...YET. rotflmao

Sarcasm Kid #907230 08/31/16 12:43 PM
Sarky, I don't even like Kolins' fan-favorite work on the Flash. He's just not my cup of tea.

Pov, LOL. What I really want is for Giffen to go back to Marvel and kill Shooter's pet Marvel character, the Molecule Man. grin

Sarcasm Kid #907373 09/02/16 09:48 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I remain cautious about Deathstroke and Hellblazer. I keep on expecting them to suck, but I am enjoying them both. For the record, I am a big Hellblazer fan from the Vertigo days (even sat through those last 15 issues of Mike Carey - lol) BUT I hate the Nu52 stuff with him. I've never been a Deathstroke fan but I am a Priest fan.
So far, so good.

Nightwing and Detective remain stellar.

Blue Beetle was weird. I want to like it. But I find it "meh". Which in my current budget, does not bode well for a comic.

The Justice League book isn't terribly interesting. Another book I want to like, but...

Oh yeah, I am picking up the Titans but I'd like it to be better (written and drawn).

Myg - Andy S #907377 09/02/16 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
Blue Beetle was weird. I want to like it. But I find it "meh". Which in my current budget, does not bode well for a comic.

Drop it. Drop it. Drop. Drop. Drop.

wink grin

Seriously, though, Giffen doesn't need that extra bottle of prune juice that his Blue Beetle royalties would have paid for. grin

Fanfic Lady #907568 09/03/16 08:09 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Shooter's pet Marvel character, the Molecule Man. grin

...Sorry, I thought his pet character was wife beater Hank Pym...? smack angel

Sarcasm Kid #907574 09/03/16 09:06 AM
Uh...no, not anymore than Cosmic Boy was Shooter's pet Legion character. Shooter's pet Legion character was Karate Kid, that's why Giffen killed him.

Didn't Shooter once make a joke about how Cos is so uptight and so narcissistic, he shaves around his ears? Judging from that, it doesn't sound to me like he cared much for Cos. Maybe that's why Shooter had Cos do the unforgivable deed.

Sarcasm Kid #908807 09/14/16 03:55 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Some random Rebirth thoughts as I start reading the last two weeks comics (which were annoyingly light because of the DC skip week).

Batman #6 was one of the best comics of the year so far. The epilogue focusing on Gotham Girl, and Batman’s attempt to help her, was really moving. Tom King and Ivan Reis tell it wonderfully and in a way that was incredibly well done despite it not being a new idea. I also loved the brief roles Duke and Alfred played in it.

Superman #6 was also terrific and I loved the ending to the Eradicator storyline, which really served to fully introduce this Superman to the DCU and by extension the readers. The sequence with him on the moon, being viewed by the public with Earth and the American Flag in the background was cheer-worthy. The reappearance of Krypto, who I had worried about, was great. And all in all, everything about this comic so far has been great—it really feels like Superman, back to form. Regarding the ending:

This issue’s biggest moment, to me at least, was also the ending. Superman introduces his son to Batman and Wonder Woman for the first time as Superboy. To me, this was also a cheer-worthy moment and I loved it. I would never have thought three months ago I would care a bit about Jonathan Kent, but both Superman and Action Comics have made me love the character, and love how he interacts with both his parents. The idea of he being Superboy is very appealing to me. I especially love that he is so young, like Superboy was when he first appeared in the late 40’s. I’m pretty impressed because a few months ago, I could easily see myself brushing this off with little regard.

I actually really want the Super Sons comic with Superboy and Robin. I also would love if somehow DC could use this new Superboy with the Legion in a separate Adventure Comics title or something, which would also allow the LSH to have their own solo non-Super adventures in their own title.

Both Superman and Jon have been established by this arc. Lois, who kicked ass all arc, is who I hope gets the treatment next and hopefully has her own role in the DCU defined again.

Nightwing #5 was also fantastic and I loved the ending to this Court of Owls opening arc. The book accomplished what it needed to, in redefining for readers who Nightwing is in a way that feels genuine and true to the character, and also shows how he’s different from Batman. I really loved the interaction with Raptor and Nightwing, and I’m actually dying to find out what happens next with them and when they’ll meet. Raptor is clearly the breakout new character of Rebirth for me.

Green Arrow has now shifted gears after the opening arc to present a more detailed view of Emi Queen, Oliver’s mysterious half-sister. Since I wasn’t reading Green Arrow before Rebirth and only “kinda” follow the Arrow TV series, I’m not sure if she’s a new character or not, but I like what I see and I’m interested to learn more about her. The usage of Shado, an old favorite of mine, is well done, and the interplay between Emi and Shado is excellent.

And lastly, as my father and I continue to buy all the Rebirth titles, we picked up Cybrog #1, which I really would have had no intention of buying without prompting from my Dad. And you know, it was great! It certainly helps that Paul Pelletier provided the artwork, as anything he touches over the last few years just looks amazing. But overall, the entire issue was awesome from start to finish. It felt like a high action, tech-based superhero story, with a multitude of unique trappings that make Cyborg stand out. I have always liked Vic, but over the decades he’s really fallen by the wayside as a compelling character IMO.

The creative team instantly focus on what made him so great originally, as established by Wolfman and Perez, by reintroducing his father, STAR Labs and his tragic history—both physically and family-wise. This drives the series and leads to an incredible moment at the end of the story which gives a potential “Anatomy Lesson Everything You Know is Wrong” moment—and smartly leaves it hanging so you are dying to know what comes next and what the truth is. This ties directly into Vic’s own insecurities and tragedy and makes him even more compelling.

There is a lot of promise to this series and I dare say it might give Cyborg the critical base he needs to be deserving of his primary role in the Justice League. I’m eager to stick with it and find out.

Sarcasm Kid #908847 09/14/16 11:27 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I'd be more upset about what happened to "Tim Drake" if it wasn't for the fact that he's not Tim Drake. That was just an alias he had to take on, right? Some witness protection nonsense? So for all intents and purposes the original Tim Drake is probably somewhere with his father and stepmother while everyone thinks that what's-his-name is dead.

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,270
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star