Roll Call
0 members (), 20 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 04/19/24 10:08 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/19/24 08:52 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/19/24 05:14 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 11:59 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: THE 29 RIOTS!
Leap Year Lord #891436 03/15/16 07:32 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
29. WOW COMICS vs. CAPTAIN MARVEL

click to enlarge click to enlarge

DID YOU REALLY THINK YOU WERE DONE? FEBRUARY FOOLS!

30. GREEN ARROW vs. GOTHAM CENTRAL

31. WONDER WOMAN vs. MIGHTY AVENGERS

32. PVP vs. THE MARVEL FAMILY

Leap Year Lord #891467 03/16/16 04:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
29. WOW Comics - I like the lightning bolt walkway emerging from the storm cloud and Mary's serene smile. Muscle-bound Captain Marvel has a horrified gape look on his face. Is he getting ready to punch stardust?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #891586 03/17/16 09:47 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
29. Mary Marvel: Elegant, iconic and well drawn in all the ways the Marvel version isn't.

30. Green Arrow: Because there's something very wrong with watching Blok doing a striptease on the other one.

31. The Avengers: Is Wanda evil? Good? Or perhaps something in-between like a certain trickster god? Over in Wondy, I'm not convinced that she isn't going to pull her whole head off. Icky!

32. Marvel Family: Legion references abound, as we see another victim of Thom Kallor's power. Elsewhere, Mary Marvel's expression is one of "Which orphanage will get the first of this money?" Which is something sadly lacking in today's comic book covers.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #891672 03/18/16 08:55 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
33. TIME FOR LOVE vs. STORIES OF BRIDES IN LOVE

34. TRUE LIFE SECRETS vs. OUR LOVE STORY

35. MERIDIAN vs. STATIC

36. UNCANNY X-MEN vs. ADVENTURE TIME

Leap Year Lord #891673 03/18/16 09:02 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
37. GIRL CONFESSIONS vs. MY LOVE

38. THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD vs. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA

39. ARCHIE'S PALS 'N' GALS vs. FLASH

40. CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED vs. CLASSIC COMICS

Leap Year Lord #891674 03/18/16 09:08 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
41. ACTION COMICS vs. DETECTIVE COMICS

42. GREEN LANTERN vs. ALL-AMERICAN COMICS

43. HOWDY DOODY vs. BEETLE BAILEY

44. FIGHTIN' 5 vs. FANTASTIC FOUR

Leap Year Lord #891675 03/18/16 09:17 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
45. DIARY SECRETS vs. CINDERELLA LOVE

46. PATSY AND HER PALS vs. REGGIE AND ME

47. QUEEN AND COUNTRY vs. GODLAND

48. SPACE WAR vs. TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED

Leap Year Lord #891676 03/18/16 09:24 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
49. JUGHEAD vs. GEORGIE

50. AUTHENTC POLICE CASES vs. CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

51. LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES vs. HIT COMICS

52. HITMAN vs. HOWARD THE DUCK

Leap Year Lord #891677 03/18/16 09:33 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
53. COMIC CAVALCADE vs. WORLD'S FINEST COMICS

54. BOY LOVES GIRL vs. FALLING IN LOVE

55. THE UNWRITTEN vs. CATWOMAN

56. SUPERNATURAL LAW vs. THE THING

Leap Year Lord #891678 03/18/16 09:38 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
57. CLASSIC X-MEN vs. BADGER

58. WEIRD SCIENCE-FANTASY vs. ZOT!

Leap Year Lord #891679 03/18/16 09:54 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
MORE RIOTOUS 29s

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #891680 03/18/16 09:58 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Leap Year Lord #891681 03/18/16 10:02 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Leap Year Lord #891682 03/18/16 10:04 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
[Linked Image]

Leap Year Lord #891769 03/20/16 12:00 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
33. Brides In Love: She can't marry you Ted. Can't you see the "It's time for swinging" above the logo? It can be partners too, not just spouses Ted. Elsewhere in Stories of Low Self Esteem someone doesn't feel worthy. Considering the time frame, this may have something to do with baking. I much prefer Stories of Marrying For Money Monthly anyway. BiL wins for adding in a background.

34. True Life Secrets: Why should she have had to tell her? Surely it's obvious that her actual hair colour doesn't match her reflection's. Read more in "Invasion of the Mirror People!" Another True Life Story!

Elsewhere... what should Tracy Scott do? Well clearing up that broken glass would be a start. Someone could get a nasty cut. Anyway, shacking up with those two brides maids is never going to last. He'll be back.

35. Meridian: Just because of the better art. But really, it's no wonder that comic sales fall, when even the characters prefer to read books on the comic covers. Static is a decent idea, but the art just doesn't do much for me.

36. X-Men: You know when you spot someone reading your paper on the train? Well, just be glad is wasn't a legal book on the Mutant Registration Act. It was nice for She Hulk to put in seating to allow rows of people to look over her shoulder. It wins for the amount of time the artist had to spend drawing the thing.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #891775 03/20/16 12:35 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
37. Girl Confessions: Thelma Johnson is the woman dressed as a man on the cover. The blonde is Doug Randall who runs a pretty successful plumbing business. It's all in Under The Covers: My monograph into the stories behind comic covers of bygone years. In other covers, the reason he doesn't know you're alive is because of the terrible posture you have slouched in that chair whining all day.

38. Doesn't this thread have a "No Ties" thing? Obviously a set up so that Teeds can unleash the Xotar and re-introduction of the JSA covers at poor, unsuspecting readers. It's not even like picking a favourite between two children. Most parents secretly have a favourite or can replace the kids with others, who they do like. This is a much, much tougher choice...

39. Archie: Combining the Phantom Lady with a whip fetishist character on the cover still isn't enough to make the Flash win. Not even Merlyn can magic up enough. Archie has a gag and Veronica is clutching that shirt suspiciously like this was the day she was going topless.

40. Classics Illustrated: About to be eaten by Henry VIII or knifed by some mad old coot in a shack? It's tough being a historically adapted fictional child. It's true that Classics style comics got kids reading the books. But only because the cover art was so poor. Henry VIII is slightly less creepy looking, so CI gets the win. But the old coot probably wasn't an unelected despotic parasite who made the lives of most in the country an utter misery.

Leap Year Lord #893062 04/01/16 08:02 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
41. Action: Gosh! Superman vs Batman and in much better versions than the movies! I'm giving this to Superman. Although Bats is dark and menacing, that's one heck of a large window he's getting through and his cape looks as though it's going to be awkward getting through any kind of opening. Supes looks heroic and the thugs well... thuggish in crisp cover art.

42. Green Lantern: Alan has to save the woman. If those are polka dots, she's got another thread to appear in. Harlequin's attempts to get close to a boy, don't quite go as planned. She's the villain. She gets to be murderous. In All-American it's the heroes who look as though they've killed two crooks.

43. Howdy Doody. Neither do anything for me in the funnies department (2nd floor. 30% off whoopee cushions this weekend!) Both have distinctive art styles though, so points for them there. Doody wins as I enjoyed seeing the summery greens. Once summer gets here, I'll come back and edit this one.

44. Fantastic Four: Poor Aztecs. Forever stuck in the 1500s when it comes to comics. I'd say the guys with the machine guns were likely to be the bigger destroyers. There's something odd about the FF cover. The body shapes aren't quite right. Their looks are pensive. They're all alone in the city. They're hogging the entire sidewalk like a bad US police drama intro. It grows on you.

Leap Year Lord #893957 04/09/16 10:30 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I'm milking my enjoyment of these, by not posting up my favourites all at once* smile

45.Cinderella Love: "Anyone for tennis?" It has a magazine cover look to it, and perhaps that's helped the art reach the quality it has. But you can't get past those smiles that tell you all you need to know about the couple. Over in Diary Secrets, sparks fly in the hayloft. 20 dead in barn inferno! It's just not worth it kids!

46. Patsy & Pals: Snobbery is always misplaced, and this is a nice example. Over in Reggie, I think those Archie girls would grin at anything. No matter what the cover joke is, they'll be there with big smiles plastered all over their faces.

47. Godland: I actually prefer the Queen & Country cover. She looks particularly traumatised after a mission gone badly wrong. Godland has a skull in a jar. It's not a brain in a jar, and that makes quite a difference. It's not really an appealingly drawn skull in a jar. But I want to know about the moth/butterfly thing. How di it get in there? what's going on? So, it wins because I'm a curious kitten.

48. Tales of the Unexpected: Two good covers here. Before kids were wasted on Star Wars...Space War! All the standards are here: Exotic locations; fighting hero; sidearm; rocket; exotic location; damsel in distress. All present and correct. Charlton have gone one better and have switched the creepy alien component with apes that they've hired for the month form the covers of DC Comics. But despite ticking all the right boxes, the art on Tales is simply lovely. The shading, the curves...of the spaceship. So good, it could inspire the opening scene of a science fiction movie like Aliens...oh it just did. "There goes our salvage guys."

*or prolonging the suffering of anyone reading the posts, depending on how you look at it.

Leap Year Lord #896732 05/13/16 06:39 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
9. ALL-STAR. Interestingly weird coloring of Earth on Archie cover, and I agree with Crames about Reggie to the side. But over on A-s something is happening!

10. LOVELORN. Look how the banner slides your eye to Our Heroine. GR cover drawn right at other side of train window slightly confusing to my eye.

11. SUPER. BDefault superiority.

12. TEEN TITANS. TOO MANY COVER LINES, MARVEL!!

Thriftshop Debutante #897380 05/21/16 06:42 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally Posted by Thriftshop Debutante
Wait too long and you'll be put in charge of the Thirties AND the Thirteens. Simultaneously.

CONGRATS CRAMES, COMMITTEE CHAIRWOMAN FOR THE THIRTEENS AND THIRTIES! Don't worry, you get the indecisive, the wafflers, and the sassmouths to round out the group. Like Peebs. And Set. And Lash. THAT'S RIGHT, Lash isn't off the hook. Get a shovel & Brother Voodoo and get Hot Zombie Lash to work! (Make sure to add "yes your hair looks great!!" time into the schedule.)

Leap Year Lord #897381 05/21/16 06:51 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
13. Horace annoys me. WOODY is multitasking -- noshing while actually working. Big up.

14. JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY. I'm not so sure on the light source for the shadow or what kind of window opens like that, but the overall effect is the winner here.

15. NEW TERRYTOONS, Well-done goofiness. Barbie's patchy outfit/background blending doesn't do it for me.

16. GHOSTS. Arak's already used the momentum. Ghosts still has the swing ahead.

Leap Year Lord #897425 05/22/16 08:56 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
49. Jughead. The sheer perviness of the usher's expression in Georgie loses it for that book.

50. Police Cases: Little does she know that he's a plainclothes cop too. And that Shrinking Violet is hiding in her handbag. In plain clothes naturally. Over in Crime & Punishment, the Gopher is undone when everyone teats their lawns.

51. Legion gets a rare win! Just as well it didn't show all of Starfinger's particularly stupid looking costume or there would have been no saving it. Hit comics makes a brave move, by advertising it as a no-comedy issue. As if the previous issues with a dead kid as the central character were lots of laughs.

52. Howard the Duck. Purely for the tagline. There's nothing in either cover that does much for me.

Leap Year Lord #897438 05/22/16 10:31 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
17. FLASH. Over on Crack, it looks like Blondie has wings...that are crooked. Weird.

18. I agree with everyone who said this is a tough one. Both are very appealing. MX has the colorful post-Nouveau, while AOB has the entirely different and striking use of color. Plus it's...not simple, but very focused? Ima say AGE OF BRONZE. Help me out, sentients, would this be considered duotone? And is there a name for this style?

19. Sorry PS 238, no chance. Static image + doesn't tell me much about what's going on or who's in the book. But check out the flow on THE LOSERS. You see the fire to the far left, then are drawn from left to right across the Loser line. Then up, as you see Right Guy tossing cards and DUCK, 'cause their calling card is about to hit YOU.

20. As a cover? STRANGE SUSPENSE. But don't worry, Miss Romantic Story, I predict you'll clean up in the merch department. T-shirt/magnet/decorative tin reproductions will make you rich and then they'll be after thee!

Leap Year Lord #898165 05/29/16 09:52 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
21. STAR TREK. How'd a computer get gingivitis so bad?

22. A & C has a style/technique that's a cut above -- but I have a hard time making out the water flow from below. And where exactly are their harnesses anchored? How the hell is that window open from the top, and why would it be open when there are window washers? OK, it's SLAPSTICK in a COMIC BOOK, but I am too annoyed to vote for it. FLASH by default.

23. STRANGE ADVENTURES. Patience & Fortitude no more!

24. PPSSM. For the colors.

Leap Year Lord #898990 06/06/16 06:07 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
25. MASTER. The art. "Top Notch" just tries my patience. Stupid.

26. BOB HOPE. Colorful, cute, folks having fun.

27. STRANGE TALES. The coloring does it.

28. MANY GHOSTS OF DR. GRAVES. Hey, sometimes gimmicky works.

29. WOW! Mary M. demonstrates the original Electric Slide.

30. GREEN ARROW. I dunno why Grodd takin' it all off is weirder than Ollie doing the same, but it is.

31. MIGHTY AVENGERS. That lil tilt of the head. OK, I wanna know what's going on. SOLD.

32. MARVEL FAMILY.

33. TIME FOR LOVE. Overall package, plus I'm liking the dress.

34. TRUE LIFE SECRETS.

35. MERIDIAN. But who holds a book like that?

36. UNCANNY X-MEN. I don't like the AT coloring technique.

37. MY LOVE. Big sunglasses! Beret! Go-go boots crossed at the ankle!

38. BRAVE AND THE BOLD. Could be either, I suppose. But I'm going with the action. Sitting around watching the action...hey, that's what I....Reader! am for.

39. ARCHIE'S P & G. Whoa, Arch, getting minorly political!

40. CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED. The main idea of the story is that THERE ARE TWO OF THEM, right?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,859
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star