Roll Call
0 members (), 15 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Reboot - 04/19/24 04:18 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
The All-Doom Patrol thread
#897462 05/22/16 11:31 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
Why? Because there's no threads about the classic Arnold Drake/Bruno Premiani version, the wildly inventive if uneven Grant Morrison version, or the daring and controversial/the ideas may have been better than the execution Rachel Pollack version. Or, for that matter, the Paul Kupperberg version immediately before Morrison's that started out with Steve Lightle on art and some real promise, but quickly went off the rails.

So here you go, fellow DP fans. Now let's post away!

Rataplan rataplan rrrrrrr...

P.S. Almost forgot -- the Gerard Way DP revival is coming our way soon! Yay!

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Re: The All-Doom Patrol thread
Fanfic Lady #897471 05/22/16 11:41 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer

Fanfic Lady #897486 05/22/16 11:55 AM
OP Offline
As Danny the Street would say, "Bona to vada, Sarky."

Fanfic Lady #897492 05/22/16 12:00 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
My first thought on this is a letter column back in the Morrison run. It had just got a new editor in Mark Waid. This would have been right around the time of the TMK run/ Superman editorial spat that saw him leave that book.

Someone had written in and suggested Clayface as a reformed villain member of the team. Now bear in mind that hero teams are full of such characters, and that Clayface (sort of like the Brotherhood's Plasmus) could be just the sort of traumatised, outsider character to get some mileage out of in DP.

New editor's reply: Hey- why not Signalman and the Cluemaster, as well? Get with the program, Charles.

I thought that was the reply of an utter tool. Way to get readers to be enthusiastic about the book.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #897495 05/22/16 12:07 PM
OP Offline
Waid does tend to put his foot in his mouth. It seems to me like there's good editors who are bad writers, and good writers who are bad editors. Waid would certainly appear to be the latter.

Here's a brief but fruitful DP discussion that Fat Cramer and I had in the Random Review thread several years ago:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=503023#Post503023

I have mostly changed my negative views on Morrison's run since I made those posts.

Fanfic Lady #897496 05/22/16 12:15 PM
OP Offline
And I just perused this old DP thread about the 2009-2011 version. Lots of Lash goodness there. *sniff*

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=494814&page=1

Fanfic Lady #897497 05/22/16 12:15 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Looking forward to posting on this one Fickles. Thanks for setting it up. I've not dug out the old '60s DP issues in ages.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #897500 05/22/16 12:20 PM
OP Offline
You're very welcome, Thoth.

And for newcomers curious about the Doom Patrol, the Morrison run is getting the double-sized trade treatment. Volume One came out just a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that, just as the JLA reprints went beyond the Morrison run, then maybe the Pollack run will be reprinted at long last.

Fanfic Lady #897501 05/22/16 12:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Doom Patrol was one of those groups I developed an interest in as I was moving out of my DC niche. My interest in them as not as indepth as the Titans, Legion, or JSA when I was younger. It extended solely to the Celsius iteration of the team, but not into the Blaze/Lodestone/Karma era.

And it was Teen Titans that really did it. In that issue when the Titans fought Superboy-Prime and suddenly the DP remembered their past, my attention was fully hooked by that double page spread.

Fanfic Lady #897502 05/22/16 12:23 PM
OP Offline
Celsius was, IMO, a tragically wasted character. An interesting, complicated, non-stereotypical South Asian character for a change, and she gets unceremoniously killed off. So wrong...

Fanfic Lady #897503 05/22/16 12:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Celsius, Dorothy, Coagula, Alice, Ava, Fever, Kid Slick, Nudge, Grunt, they all were.

Fanfic Lady #897504 05/22/16 12:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I keep reading some nonsense about how Rachel Pollack tried to retcon Crazy Jane's time with the team through the False Memory issue, but I have no idea where anyone's picking that up.

Fanfic Lady #897509 05/22/16 01:18 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
My favorite DP story ever is the journey thru Crazy Jane's mind conducted by her personality of Driver 8. This is easily one of my favorite Morrison stories, if not one of my overall favorite stories ever.

IMO, Morrison's run crested around the Brother of DaDa story. It got kind of dodgy after that. In any case I think Danny the Street was pretty much the best thing ever!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Fanfic Lady #897511 05/22/16 01:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My favorite stories are the ones involving Rhea Jones, as well as the introductory tale about Dorothy's imaginary friends and the final battle with the Candlemaker. He's one of my favorite villains.

Lard Lad #897514 05/22/16 02:13 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Paladin
My favorite DP story ever is the journey thru Crazy Jane's mind conducted by her personality of Driver 8. This is easily one of my favorite Morrison stories, if not one of my overall favorite stories ever.

That story is definitely near the top of my DP list. I also liked the reference, in Driver 8's name, to a song from the underrated third R.E.M. album, "Fables of the Reconstruction."

IMO, Morrison's run crested around the Brother of DaDa story. It got kind of dodgy after that.

Agreed. Doom Patrol #50, which climaxes with the Brotherhood of DaDa ready to take on the world, is, IMO, one of the greatest anniversary issues of all time. Their fate in the next couple of issues is a downer, although I also think it goes to show what a memorable character Morrison developed with Brotherhood leader Mr. Nobody (to think that he began as a forgotten bit character in the Silver Age run.) In subsequent issues, I think we get some good stuff, but also (no spoilers) a lot of shock for shock's sake.

In any case I think Danny the Street was pretty much the best thing ever!

Quite so!

Fanfic Lady #897520 05/22/16 04:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My favorite DP member ever:
click to enlarge
I'm looking forward to the new iteration, but for me there will always be something missing without REBIS...

Last edited by DrakeB3004; 11/07/17 11:24 PM.
Fanfic Lady #897532 05/22/16 11:23 PM
OP Offline
^^Ahh, Rebis...yes, one of Morrison's most ground-breaking moves, taking an established character (Negative Man) to places never seen before in a DC comic.

Fanfic Lady #897557 05/23/16 05:06 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Morrison's run was so phenomenal. You can see in retrospect how what he did on Animal Man and Doom Patrol were so creative and fresh for the times.

His influence on all writers since, especially those who have emerged in the last 10 years, is immense. And while that is sometimes good, it's also led to a lot of other writers trying to write like Morrison wrote in the early 90's but not being able to pull it off.

I loved them all. I love the Chief revelation and how Morrison wrote him during those issues. Any usage of the Chief ever since just doesn't fly for me.

Fanfic Lady #897562 05/23/16 06:00 AM
OP Offline
^^Well said, Cobie, altho I'm not as sold on Morrison's Chief as you.

Have you read Morrison's "Flex Mentallo" mini-series yet? I see that as the culmination of this fruitful era for him.

Fanfic Lady #897581 05/23/16 10:12 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
^^Well said, Cobie, altho I'm not as sold on Morrison's Chief as you.

While the revelation was stunning, the character himself became a bit too unrealistic for me. It's a shame Milligan's 70 issues on "Shade, the Changing Man" doesn't get the same love. I found it better in terms of balancing weird, adult and characterization. Morrison totally won in terms of high-brow concepts, but some of the characterization suffered.

Fanfic Lady #897583 05/23/16 10:33 AM
OP Offline
I agree with you about the Chief, Drake, but while I love some of Milligan's work, I'm not that big a fan of his Shade. A lot of it was hard for me to stomach.

But, to each their own.

Fanfic Lady #897600 05/23/16 11:37 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Since TMK has been on my mind...

Was the Doom Patrol after Morrison's run so difficult for others to do anything with those characters, leading to a reboot? A number of them were radically changed and it would have been very difficult to move from that into, say, John Byrne's thoughts for the team.

In which case, was that similar in the way that creators struggled to make the Legion work after TMK. They were too far removed from their younger selves to continue in a way that later writers wanted, leading to a reboot?

Just a passing thought really. I'll actually get to some proper Doom Patrol posts at some point.

Fanfic Lady #897614 05/23/16 12:55 PM
OP Offline
Thoth, please don't take this the wrong way, but TMK is a very sensitive and polarizing topic, and I don't want this thread to get derailed. Besides, I think discussions about Legion creative teams belong in the Legion forum.

No hurt feelings, I hope. Just trying to keep things steady and positive.

Fanfic Lady #897625 05/23/16 05:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Speaking of different DP eras, I'll admit to being ignorant of most. I jumped on board during Morrison, stayed around for Pollack, though wasn't a huge fan. The Arcudi run had some interesting bits, but not enough characters that I enjoyed so I dropped it early on. Byrne's team just turned me off from the get-go for some reason, especially since DC let him totally reboot them and forsake previous incarnations. I liked Giffen's series though - it kept things quirky, had a bunch of characters I liked and acknowledged the past. Not perfect, but my second fav run after Morrison.

thoth lad #897635 05/24/16 02:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Since TMK has been on my mind...

Was the Doom Patrol after Morrison's run so difficult for others to do anything with those characters, leading to a reboot? A number of them were radically changed and it would have been very difficult to move from that into, say, John Byrne's thoughts for the team.

In which case, was that similar in the way that creators struggled to make the Legion work after TMK. They were too far removed from their younger selves to continue in a way that later writers wanted, leading to a reboot?

Just a passing thought really. I'll actually get to some proper Doom Patrol posts at some point.

Before Byrne departed DC he went through a radical purity phase, where nothing to him was as good as the original versions, so in short order he dumped the Demon's rhyming, turned the New Gods into a strict photocopy of Kirby's first stories, and brought the Doom Patrol back to the original formation. The problem I had with him was that his "pure" interpretations of these properties were stale and lifeless. They clung so heavily to Kirby et al, that they weren't dynamic in any way (ironic in the case of Kirby because that was the point of these new creations).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,847
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Crymsun Kid
Crymsun Kid
Korugar
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star