Roll Call
1 members (idle, idle), 46 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/29/24 07:00 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/29/24 06:59 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 33 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 32 33
Re: Random Review Corner
Lard Lad #871657 10/06/15 10:24 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
A few additional thoughts...

Astro City has a tendency in between the really great issues to do issues that at first take me more than a few pages to get into, but by story's end, I realize I've enjoyed it quite a bit. The American Chibi story was definitely one of these. While not mind-blowing, it was a solid, good read, and I'll take it.

Outcast is a series I'm still hanging tight with, though it's probably the series most "on the bubble" of all the comics I collect right now. There's a lot to like but its a real slow burn. I'm tempted to possibly jump off from the single issues and collect in the trades to see if the experience is any better. Lardy, are you still reading? Is anyone else?

Daredevil had its final issue by the Waid / Samnee team it was superb. This has been one of the single best comics for a long time, and it's possibly the single best Waid run ever in comics, which is really saying something. I anxiously await anything these two do in the future and hope they continue to partner up forever (Black Widow! Awesome!). I really hope the next creative team keeps Daredevil running strong as its really been one of the few consistently great series for like 15 years other than a brief, terrible Andy Diggle run.

Garth Ennis' War Stories continues to be a series I enjoy immensely, though as with any anthology, some stories are more potent than others. We recenty had two really excellent stories, so this latest story about the Irish soldiers fighting in the British army was slightly a let down as it wasn't quite on par with the others. But it was still very good, and had a great ending. As an Irish American who has always had a keen interest in modern Irish history, it was an added bonus and gave it some more emotional weight.

Manifest Destiny continues to be a series I love and is unlike anything else being published. The blend of historical adventure, horror, great characters and lush artwork & colors just works for me.

Conjure Lass and I have been talking about Grayson on facebook a lot, and I'll just sum up my thoughts (and hers) that this series has been surprisingly terrific. It truly feels like Dick Grayson again, and is written wonderfully. There is also a nice, consistent emotional punch that works. While the premise at first seemed kind of stupid, it's allowed Dick to do his own thing in the Bat-universe, and the creators seized this opportunity to make Dick be more like Dick, and make the series stand out.

Lard Lad #872657 10/16/15 08:44 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
JLU is actually starting to get fun (so of course, it's cancelled). I'm a sucker for the Mission:Impossible style of throwing together disparate heroes to take on different "reality breakers", but what makes this arc even more fun is the breaker they encounter this time feeds off endless conflict, so it contains a cross-section of DC's War Characters.

So far we've seen:

- Sgt. Rock and Easy Company
- The Unknown Soldier
- Creature Commandos
- G.I. Zombie
- Enemy Ace
- OMAC (New 52 Version)

With the JLU team of:

Robotman
Steel
Vandal Savage
Stargirl
&
Batgirl

Cobalt Kid #872681 10/16/15 11:20 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid

...Outcast is a series I'm still hanging tight with, though it's probably the series most "on the bubble" of all the comics I collect right now. There's a lot to like but its a real slow burn. I'm tempted to possibly jump off from the single issues and collect in the trades to see if the experience is any better. Lardy, are you still reading? Is anyone else?

I've been trades-only with this, and am enjoying it...

Conjure Lass and I have been talking about Grayson on facebook a lot, and I'll just sum up my thoughts (and hers) that this series has been surprisingly terrific...

Yeah, you and K-Haste have convinced me to check this out after the bad taste FOREVER EVIL and the "death" of Nightwing left in my mouth... The fact that I love Mikel Janin's art doesn't hurt! DCBS is offering the first and second trades @50% off this month, so I'm jumping on the GRAY-train!

Lard Lad #874545 10/30/15 03:12 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
DC Sneak Peeks burned me out for a while. Not to mention they were pretty much a waste of time. So, catch ups on some titles...

Walking Dead, The 142 Image
The movement of the two leaders away from their spheres of influence is going to lead to disaster here. We see the human communities come together in a fete. Well, almost all of the human communities. Will a certain someone be freed? A number of favourite characters are going after Carl. Will they all make it back? 5.75

Walking Dead, The 143 Image
Things took an interesting turn. Well, I was wrong footed anyway. We see more of the contrasts between the surviving groups. Particularly the whisperers. Their survival hinges on being undetected, so I hope we don’t see them as having too much civilisation. It will also be interesting to see why some of them choose that group over a return to some normalcy with the others. A character makes a big decision and there could have been trouble for the search party after all. 6

Walking Dead, The 144 Image >whistles< those final pages were tough to get through. But, as powerful as they were, the real strength to the story is the conflicting cultures that led up to it. The Whisperers offer a bleak way of survival, where much of our civilisation is no longer relevant. Strength is all that prevails. Rick's groups have all been trying to re-establish at least something of what they lost. But, even now, they may not prove strong enough. It's a dark ending to such a positive move for the communities. 6

Walking Dead, The 145 Image
There's a necessary, but unpleasant, task to be done to the fallen characters. But it also clearly shows where loyalties lie from their reactions. Rick has to break the news to the rest of the people. What brought them together in the hope of a celebration of their success, is going to be remembered for something far darker. It will be interesting to see if reactions divide between camps, or purely on an individual basis. But whoever wants to strike back, is going to be unprepared. 5.5

Walking Dead, The 146 Image
Things come to a head refreshingly quickly. The characters act not only with expected anger and shock, but with those emotions reflected through everything else they've had to experience. The difference in approach form leaders is also clear. By choosing this course, Rick may well find himself no longer the leader. But would his replacement lead them all to disaster? Parties also reconciled quickly, but again there's a very close bond considering past issues. 5.75

Walking Dead, The 147 Image
With so many angry emotions looking for an outlet, it's not long before one of the cast is moved elsewhere for their own safety. But is that just transferring the problems elsewhere? The last page cliff-hanger was a bit forced this issue, but that was the only such moment in the issue which sees Michionne take another step forward. 5.5

Astro City 23 Vertigo
A chocolate manufacturer's drumming gorilla ad as the start of an Astro City story. The homage to DCs Solovar and others goes through the issue including the main characters T-Shirt. An Antarctic mountain, which has links to this world's version of Dinosaur Island and Skartaris, takes the place of Gorilla City. Taken from a rich part of comics history, the central character is strong, wise and unassuming. It's a shame that he's forced towards a superhero role at the end of the issue. I hope there are a few twists to come that provide a different ending. 4.25

Astro City 24
Vertigo The strong thread through this issue is the central character working out how he can make his life work. We see two attempts fail before he gets the idea for the third. There's the usual Astro City montage of encounters. The villains are new, but strictly background. A lot of the heroes feel the same way. They don't quite spark the interest as some of the original cast. But the writer has certainly been able to change that in the past. 4.25

Astro City 25
Vertigo There's a bit of what if Supergirl could tell her friends about her life about this issue. It's entwined with some further updates to some of the Honor Guard members, Black Canary reboots, Agatha Harkness and the Scarlet Witch and a bit of the Authority's Swift. What started with a B-Grade cast, finds it's feet as the central character finds hers and there's a solid, positive ending. 4

Astro City 26 Vertigo
A reprise of one of the earlier, and best, Astro City tales. Here, we see a couple more of the cast changes as the world has to cope without the Samaritan. A lot of the villains don’t really work outside someone's superhero RPG, but the story itself has some nice touches, not least the foreboding towards the end. 4.5

Astro City 27
Vertigo When fictional realities clash in a fun story about hope and the power of dreams. The switch in art style is interesting, not least when a gateway is crossed. A common Astro City concept is that, as part of an evolving story, endings can also be the seeds for beginnings. This one is done in a way combining fun and a touch of nostalgia. But, I think I actually preferred the previous version of the character that's introduced. 4.5

Astro City 28 Vertigo Recent issues really seem to be playing around with fictions. Here, we have our comic book science, but also a look at cartoons and a cautionary take about building up childhood things into something they never were. There's a nice family relationship here, and an Australian character, who taking after some Marvel characters, at least isn't a Boomerang or a Kangaroo. 4.5

B.P.R.D. 131 Dark Horse
A surprise ending for one of our cast. We also get to see more details on why the squad turned on Johann. To the books credit, it isn’t a melodramatic confrontation. Each side understands the other. But understanding doesn’t mean they'll be wanting to work together anytime soon. We get to see another group of humans begin to worship the critters that are plaguing the world. Icky. 3.5

B.P.R.D. 132 Dark Horse
Johann's scenes continue to be a bit self indulgent. He talks to a spirit, which basically offers platitudes. There's some icky critters, but no real reason why they didn’t slaughter their "guardians" long before now. It's all leading to Johann looking to mech up at the end. But he's not going to be much more convincing there than he was when he inhabited the huge vat grown body. 3.75

B.P.R.D. 133 Dark Horse
More focus on Johann. He connects with another of Mignola's favourite things. An Iron Man suit (original clunky version) powered by Vril energy (of Bulwer-Lytton &Blatavsky fame) connects with the life forces of a couple of soldiers. Then with Johann, who seems to connect to it across time too. While Johann isn't my favourite, this is a solid issue with strong art. The soldiers are characterised very well as are the twists and turns of the war around them. There's a fun way of giving the exposition to the reader by having one scientist insist that reports are read out in case something jumps out at them. 4.5

B.P.R.D. 134 Dark Horse Through this story, there's the idea that once dead, a spirit will become distant from those it left behind, eventually letting go. The Iron Man (called The Hammer here) suit occupant struggles with this, looking to save his buddy. But this is the buddy whose actions got him shot in the first place, and things don't often go to plan in wartime. In the end Johann becomes super powered.

Through the years there's been a lack of powered/super talented agents. It was something that made the very start of Hellboy very interesting, but tailed away. We're seeing a surge of them towards the end. But that glut, presumably to ace whatever's in store for the end of the title, hasn't given the reader time enough to really connect with them. Even here, at this late stage, Johann is the only agent who is capable of fighting the creatures who are strangely starting to target the BPRD base. Johann looks at home in the suit. It's a trait he's shown before, when he took over a comatose body with huge strength. 4.25

B.P.R.D. 135 Dark Horse
Considering the book has had giant monsters roaming around it's world for years, the word "escalation" takes a bit of doing. But, right form the opening pages, the horrors underpinning the Hellboy universe look to be moving towards their concluding actions. On a different level, we get a look at a number of the prominent cast members who are likely to be facing whatever arrives. This includes an old acquaintance from Abe's past. Between these two, we have the inciting incident of a near earth object obliterating a small town. 4.75

Copperhead 8 Image
A standard prison escape pushes on a subplot, but the issue improves from there. Sure, Boo plays the outlaws off against each other rather blatantly. But there's enough going on to keep their escape into an outlaw settlement well paced. Again, the art helps out a lot, bringing out the characters in a pretty desolate landscape. 3.75

Copperhead 9 Image
The Sheriff raises a posse to go after her captured deputy. One of the best things about it is that her personality manages to disintegrate any morale within the group as they proceed. It makes an interesting change from this sort of scenario. Perhaps that's a reason why some of them act on their own initiative, which doesn't go well. There's one odd bit of self sacrifice from a character that would not seem likely to do it. 3.75

Copperhead 10 Image
I'm a bit surprised that the Deputy made it out of this one alive, considering the number of fights he had with his captors. Their plan to take him to Bastion would also have seemed to be a complete waste of time. Considering the trek, perhaps one of them might have realised it along the way. The conclusion had a decent twist, and there's some interest in the storyline ahead. But, the art really helps the book. 3.5

Invisible Republic 3 Image
Our journalist character gets confirmation that the journal he holds is real, if only because others will practically kill him to get it. He manages to retrieve it at one stage in an almost unlikely way. Our other thread moves on with our characters as fugitives. One of them more than the other, leading to the issue's climax.

It's going to be interesting to see their future's unfold to the hints we've received elsewhere. They are both starting those paths with nothing. A good thing about the issue was that the characters around the central cast react to their presence. Things don't work out smoothly for them due to the city crowd they find themselves in. It's a good continuation of the desperate, believable world of the book. 4.25

Invisible Republic 4 Image
Maia manages to find refuge in an unforgiving world this issue. Considering how bleak the place can be, I think she got away surprisingly lightly considering. Elsewhere, our journalist has to take on a partner as they begin to find out more about Arthur Mallory, the man that changed the world they are on. There are little things going in here, particularly in the historical view of the world, that build up nicely. 4.5

Invisible Republic 5 Image
An impressive issue. Both sides to the conflict use propaganda to further their own ends. Mia's friends turn out to have conflicting agendas of their own. A character, who I thought was a throw away from the first issue, has also been dragged into the escalating conflict in much the way as Mia's cousin has become a focal point for his side.

That's just one of the two central threads in the story. In the other, we hear more of our journalist's disintegrating past. But it's a past that gives him a perspective to unlock a clue to his current story. Both threads come together suddenly in a cliff-hanger. The links between the two threads have been strong throughout. But the real strength is in the character arcs. All pushing the story along, but with individual reasons and goals. 5.5

Invisible Republic 6 Image
A simple enough set up at the beginning of this issue connects many of the scenes. From providing the reader with some information on each of the key Movement characters, to giving an insight into how the structure of their organisation may really be working. It also has an impact on the second main thread, set forty years later, where Mia has certainly matured. She has an agenda that is reminiscent of some of the other factions we've seen. This issues cliff-hanger looks to be potentially fatal to a few cast members. 4.75

Convergence : Justice league of America 2 DC
Oh dear. Zatanna made an utter blunder last issue solely so that we could see the Justice League of Detroit go through their put upon losers routine in this issue. I check the title to see if it's called Contrivance rather than Convergence. I'd like to see other teams lose half their numbers to see how they'd get on. Now outnumbered and outgunned they are forced to retreat.

They are about to be beaten a second time, when Sue Dibny rescues the big guns. They end the fight in seconds, against the experienced Tangent heroes. We're supposed to have respect for the young heroes for having held their own for a while, and to have bounced back from demoralised defeat. Instead, it's just another reminder of how pigeonholed they ended up as a team.

While Vibe does fairly well this issue, none of the others are really shown to their potential. The art was a big plus in these two issues. The rating would be less looking at the issue as a fan of the JLD. That Zatanna blunder was poor. 3

Convergence : Superboy & the Legion of Superheroes 2 DC
The Atomic Knights are better characterised in this issue than the Legion. They have been through an apocalypse and face difficult choices each day. On the Legion's side, Clark Kent's dad takes some time off running the store to kill a chicken in front of his son. It's an image that Superboy has held with him all these years as a sign of childhood's end. The Legion fare badly in the combat.

Fortunately, despite living in a deadly world, the Knight's weapons seem to have a handy stun setting. The two groups settle their differences and find out something about the Secret Wars Battleworld planet that they're stuck on. Dirk looks to get close to a female knight while Superboy and Ayla share a kiss in the final page. It's very much a holding issue, waiting for the nod from the parent series to continue elsewhere. A fight that doesn't really go anywhere. A tenuous framework around it to try and give it a little depth. It may be a different artist this time, but it still looks thrown together in a rush. From a Legion fan's standpoint, it's pretty poor all round.

Superboy conveniently does nothing and the Legion are generally ineffective. Brainy is reduced to his elitist persona, but strikes a decent relationship with his Knights counterpart. Ultra Boy is taken out easily using the wrong power no less. Ayla getting involved with Superboy makes my head shake sadly. Sun Boy references Monty Python while Ayla gives away Superboy's future wife. Pretty clunky stuff. The rating would again be lower if looked at from a Legion fan's perspective. 3

Aero Girl 2 Action Lab
There's a definite aawww moment when the central character and the being who may now have the powers/ memories of a loved one comfort each other. It's after a traumatic day for the family.

We get to see a little of the other crime fighters of the city. We see them out of costume which is unusual, even considering the event, which is a nice touch. Some more depth is added to our main villain and the protagonist's relationship with her mother is a good one. It's a slower issue that takes it's time adding touches, as our heroine starts towards a new career choice. The main action is a super powered Congorilla vs. Gizmo of the Fearsome Five. 4.25

Mister X: Razed 4 Dark Horse
Things are tied up in this full length finale. Well, as tied up as things get. Not everything is concluded in a tidy package and there are unsolved mysteries left behind. It looks as though most of our central cast have some tough times ahead just making ends meet. Removed form them is Mister X, whose death defying escapes are a little too death defying this issue. It's a shame someone else in the cast couldn't get away as unscathed. The art continues to be a big plus. Radiant City is certainly a tough place to have dreams. 5.25

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #874996 11/04/15 01:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Klaus #1 was kinda weird. It's basically "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" but he's ripped, violent and has a vicious wolf companion. It's got to be a joke on the Image style, or those types of comics in general, but Morrison plays it pretty straight.

We Stand On Guard #5 The insurgents strike back against their American occupiers, the tables turn a couple of differnt times and the big showdown is set up for next issue. As Canadian, I find some things cool, others a little grating (Like the Quebecois guy who only understand everyone, but still only speaks french. I've lived among francophones my whole life and none of them would EVER do that).

Grant Morrison's 18 Days #5 (without Grant Morrison) - The War gets well and truly underway and we find that Duryodhana is willing to fight dirty and goes for the nuclear option early. While I get that they are playing the epic war like a widescreen blockbuster, but I get no sense of danger surrounding any of the individual fights. It's still an interesting read, I'm just waiting to get more invested in the characters.

Lard Lad #876245 11/14/15 09:24 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm picking up a lot of the new Marvel and DC comics ... cause I'm a sucker ... and most are actually good for at least the first issue.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the Justice League Darkseid War break offs of the individual league characters ... (even though GLs costume looks cool) I jus don't think its much of a creative effort to justify a whole new book to read.

I'll go through quick:

Twilight Children ... probably better as a trade, I've got £1 and 2 and without super hero antics its probably much better as trade plus the issues don't have a one and done quality within the greater arc ... its just one long story but ...hey Darwin Cooke! and the characters come to life.

Radioactive Spider Gwen £1 and 2 ... I think issue one was a rehash but issue two was quite nice and I like the new Captain America .. the book reminds me a bit of a Saturday morning cartoon in tone. I think this book will get better.

Wild's End is on again! one of my favorite books. series two is even better than the first. if you like the tv show Manhattan you will probably like this.

Paper Girls is cool. very cool. probably be better as a trade but I can't wait that long for it. I wish I could have the experience I had with Y the Last Man where I came to the scene so late that almost all the trades were out and I could just read and read and read ...

Midnighter is fun. I'm on issue 6 now. Issues with ACO as penciller are much much better in story telling and art ... the last story had Nightwing as a guest star and the chemistry between these two was tight. issue 6 had a big reveal and has me super excited for 7.

the perfect villain for Midnight showed up

Saints (1 and 2) I'm enjoying it, also probably better as a trade, I am enjoying the lego style art.This series has one story arc to see if I'm in. Reminds me of the ...

Wicked and the Divine which I don't dig a lot as a single issue book ... I find it really confusing ... maybe I will drop the monthly version ... especially since there is so much coming out right now.

Dr Strange! is cool! I think they need to pick up the action though. I dig Bachalo's art ... might not be for everyone .. its a bit messy.

Omega Men ... still into it but also probably better as a trade, I want to get to the completion of the first story arc soon ... there's a lot of mysteries ... if you like Legion 5YG ... you might like this.

Extraordinary X-Men issue one. I like the line up. Storm, young Jean, Old Logan, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Illyana. I think Illyana went too bad in recent years for me to be ready to give her a pass (like Emma Frost and Cyclops). I might get number two but will likely drop this after. its ok .. art is ok ...i'm most curious about the sentient Sentinel. which probably isn't a good thing story wise.

Uncanny X-Men 600 ... The trial of Beast ... seems pretty ridiculous ...with Emma Frost and Magik in the room ... Ice Man comes out ... I was ok with him not being gay and the younger one being gay ... I don't see these as dependent on each other. (no spoilers cause its been in the news) I didn't read the second story on Iceman. Tempus, the time traveling new mutant is still around ... playing the moral compass of the group ... I like having her around. I'll probably keep this book because its the main X book and the art is usually good but story wise I would drop it if it were any other title.

I picked up Secret Wars a Guide to the Multiverse ... was not good, filled with random characters ... and snippets of the multiverse. I felt cheated. Im a sucker for handbook type books.

Dr Fate and Black Canary are still moving along, I like them, no big deal but just nice short reads every month.

I was really disappointed with Karnak. He's such a cool character but they just turned him into a brooding murder machine. The book is melodramatic .. even for a comic book ... and the art is not to my liking.

I've been surprisingly enjoying Weird World, its got all these old b-list characters from the 80s and the art is perfect for the story. I'm pumped for serious two coming out soon.

Justice league Darkseid War. (main title issue 5) Manapaul does the art! seems like there's a whole lot of talking for this book .... I'm getting 6 though.

I picked up Earth One Teen Titans graphic novel by Dodson and Lemire. Lemire's become one the writers I will follow, and I never follow writers. If he's on a book I will try it. This Teen Titans homage was cool. Nice story but not really big in scope. I liked the reconceptualization of the team (but thats the best part) lots of cameos.

They left the door wide open for book two, three, four ....

I also got Justice league: A League of One starring Wonder Woman. (there's two parts actually). both stories are good but the plots not the strength, the art and the creation of settings are the best part.

Last edited by Power Boy; 11/14/15 09:28 AM.
Lard Lad #887184 02/10/16 11:12 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I just mentioned Scott McCloud's The Sculptor in the Shout box.

My beloved saw it marked down at a local store and insisted on getting it for me, since he knows I'm a huge fan. Yes, it's a hardback and literally hundreds of pages long, but hey-- there's this thing called the library. If anyone else has read it, IM me or whatever because I want to talk about it.

A capsule review, because I'd rather not prejudice anyone else's mind. (Hard to avoid when you're already a big fan drooler, but I'll try.)

David Smith is a young artist living in New York City. He's dealing badly with a setback to his career, brought on by a combo of bad fortune and his own big mouth. He goes to a bar on his birthday, and runs into a long-absent relative: one who has a proposition that could change his life. In a sense, David can choose a brief life culminating in artistic fame (or infamy?) or a long, comfortable life in obscurity. But he can't compromise. No "third way" is available.

The art work (B&W, plus blue duotone) is heavily influenced by Kirby, and also by Manga, two of McCloud's great loves. It's not for kids, since there's violence and sex in it, but not a gratuitous amount. It's the Japanese mannerisms which make the book read quickly, despite its formidable size. I found that it wandered in places, but 2/3rds in the tension really starts to ratchet up. I finished that last section much faster than the rest.

Last edited by cleome49; 02/10/16 11:54 AM.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Fanfic Lady #887186 02/10/16 11:19 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Thanks for the review, Cleome. I'll definitely search for "The Sculptor."

Here's a review I posted in this thread in August 2013. Your review inspired me to bump it:

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
FLEX MENTALLO, by Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely, originally published 1996, collected in hardcover 2012.

If I hadn't been so anti-DC and so anti-Vertigo at the time, and if 1996 hadn't been such a horrible year for comics in general, I might not have missed this masterpiece the first time around. There's some parallel universe out there where a young Fanfie read this in 1996, and her life was altered for the better.

For this is genuinely a life-altering comic, the first thing I've read by Morrison that truly lives up to the hype. Oh, I've enjoyed a few other things of his -- 7 Soldiers, All Star Supes, and especially Animal Man. Really, if you liked Animal Man, you'll love this -- guaranteed. Because Morrison explores a lot of the same themes -- superheroes before they became tainted by pseudo-realism, the elusive nature of reality -- but in a much more self-assured way, and, crucially, with art that is more than merely functional. Yes, Frank Quitely is an acquired taste, but here he and Morrison achieve that rare kind of creative chemistry which can only be called transcendental. Quitely's combination of indie quirkiness and abundant detail fits Morrison's story like a hand in glove.

The incorruptibly sweet-natured titular superhero, who looks to me kind of like a muscle-bound Morrissey in a loincloth (Morrison is definitely a Smiths fan, I don't know what he thinks of solo Morrissey) sets out on a quest to find his former teammate and best friend, The Fact (a Question/Batman analog), which leads him through the grimy city and beyond, into worlds of both horror and wonder. Running parallel to Flex's quest is the emotional breakdown of a drugged-up loser and wannabe rock star as he babbles on the phone about superheroes.

If you're rolling your eyes and thinking, "Typical Morrison," hang on a second, because as a former Morrison skeptic, I came into this with zero expectations. What's most amazing is not that it delivers, but that it delivers because of Morrison's self-consciously cerebral meta-commentary, not in spite of it!

As I was typing this rave review, I had to bring myself back down to Earth with the sobering reminder that Morrison followed up "Flex Mentallo" with the bombastic mediocrity of what I call "The Infallible Batman featuring the JLA."

Thus the question for me is no longer, "Can Morrison deliver 100%?", but rather, "Will Morrison ever scale these heights again?"

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Power Boy #892002 03/23/16 07:43 AM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
Originally Posted by Power Boy
Omega Men ... still into it but also probably better as a trade, I want to get to the completion of the first story arc soon ... there's a lot of mysteries ... if you like Legion 5YG ... you might like this.

I just re-read the current run of Omega Men, up to the current issue, and although I certainly liked it and thought it was something special as I read the individual issues, my second reading of it left me thinking it was better than I already thought. And I completely agree, can't believe it didn't occur to me independently, but this book is probably a good match for 5YL fans. This book and the Vision are why I am most excited by Tom King as a writer (disappointed to see him on upcoming BiWeekly Batman and nothing else, but oh well).

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
Lard Lad #894386 04/14/16 10:12 AM
F
Honorary
Honorary
F
I wrote a review for Black Panther #1 and figured I'd post it here smile

Even before its release, Black Panther was going to be a big deal. It’s releasing before the character gets a bigger profile from Captain America: Civil War. It boasts an award-winning novelist as writer. I’ve never heard of the creators, but Coates apparently won an award at some point, so hey, can’t be a Scott Lobdell kind of guy.

The very first page dispelled a big concern of mine: that Coates was gonna be a novelist coming onto a lowly comic book and would want to “define” T’Challa entirely, and ignore everything that came before. But instead, Coates chooses to acknowledge what came before in a natural and fitting manner. It’s refreshing to have a new writer, a novelist at that, who doesn’t wipe away everything that came before.

Straight away, Coates throws us into a fully realised Wakanda: one with its own history and culture. His dialogue has a very “tribal” feel to it, and makes the comic feel very distinct from usual superhero fair. And it works, giving Black Panther a very distinct voice. While it took me by surprise, it doesn’t take long to settle into the style. The one bit where it may be confusing is its use of Wakandan terms. While it explains terms like haramu-fal (the Orphan King) and damisa-sarki (the Panther), it doesn’t explain older ones that Coates didn’t create, like dora milaje (Adored Ones). I understood the connection when a character refers to one of the dora milaje as one of the “adored ones”, but if the reader hasn’t read the Christopher Priest Black Panther run, there could be some confusion, especially if one takes it as just part of the dialogue style.

The story is that, after the events of New Avengers and Infinity, T’Challa is King of Wakanda once again. But there is dissent in his kingdom, and he must combat it while dealing with a kingdom that may not want to be ruled by him anymore. The story of Black Panther is about the burgeoning change rising in Wakanda, and whether or not this change comes from an entirely good place, it’s coming, and is at odds with the traditional royal Wakandan family. There’s an outside force that T’Challa must combat, and right off the bat, we’re shown that he might not be able to win. T’Challa’s not just fighting another supervillain, he’s fighting an enemy that rallies his own people against him. Some wild cards are thrown in, who have their own stake in the conflict, and I appreciated it. They fit into the epic plot Coates is weaving about a troubled king and dissenters and usurpers, being two lovers who will inevitably be caught in the greater conflict. This alone would be great set-up, but Coates throws in one more wild card, that I won’t spoil, one that has a very emotional tie to T’Challa.

Stelfreeze does great work realising all of this, giving Black Panther a very distinct look, even by Marvel’s current standards. Everything feels a little bit more boxy, when I expected a more blockbuster or dark aesthetic. It works however, and the more jagged lines help create a more tribal atmosphere, and gives the impression that Wakanda is very separate from Marvel’s other titles. The way Stelfreeze illustrates Wakanda’s technology alone gives it a distinct feel from Marvel’s other series, with an almost magical appearance in how T’Challa’s suit forms around him. It feels like a mix between magic and techology, which really suits the character. While I didn’t like it at first, it’s growing on me. The complex circuitry we see visible in Wakandan technology is a very nice touch to giving Wakandan technology a unique visual motif. The one downside to this Stelfreeze’s style is that the story doesn’t feel as big, because it’s not bombastic and cinematic like, say, Jim Lee or Ivan Reis could make it.

Laura Martin’s colouring is very controlled, with lots of contrast and a more cell-shaded look in normal scenes. When it calls for it, however, the colours leap off the page, with bright colours showing how different the royal family’s buildings are compared tot he rest of Wakanda. There’s also a great panel where T’Challa tracks a character’s soul, and Martin colours it in a way that makes it feel otherworldly, and I don’t think this would’ve worked if the rest of the comic were more colourful.

Coates, Stelfreeze and Martin’s Black Panther #1 is a great comic for old and new readers alike. It acknowledges T’Challa’s past, while also setting up a great story. It has a distinct style that I think works better for Black Panther than any other he’s had in the past. If you’ve always wanted to read up on T’Challa, or just like great royal superhero stories, then now is the time. Just make sure you got some of the older Wakandan terms learned beforehand, since I don’t think this is the last time that particular problem will arise.

4.5/5

Last edited by Fuzzy Barbarian; 04/14/16 10:13 AM.

There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.
cleome57 #895323 04/23/16 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by cleome49
Scott McCloud's The Sculptor

My beloved saw it marked down at a local store and insisted on getting it for me, since he knows I'm a huge fan. Yes, it's a hardback and literally hundreds of pages long, but hey-- there's this thing called the library. If anyone else has read it, IM me or whatever because I want to talk about it.

A capsule review, because I'd rather not prejudice anyone else's mind. (Hard to avoid when you're already a big fan drooler, but I'll try.)

David Smith is a young artist living in New York City. He's dealing badly with a setback to his career, brought on by a combo of bad fortune and his own big mouth. He goes to a bar on his birthday, and runs into a long-absent relative: one who has a proposition that could change his life. In a sense, David can choose a brief life culminating in artistic fame (or infamy?) or a long, comfortable life in obscurity. But he can't compromise. No "third way" is available.

The art work (B&W, plus blue duotone) is heavily influenced by Kirby, and also by Manga, two of McCloud's great loves. It's not for kids, since there's violence and sex in it, but not a gratuitous amount. It's the Japanese mannerisms which make the book read quickly, despite its formidable size. I found that it wandered in places, but 2/3rds in the tension really starts to ratchet up. I finished that last section much faster than the rest.

I just finished reading "The Sculptor", in one sitting, while listening to the Cure's "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me" album. It was quite an experience. I was not surprised when I read McCloud's afterword and he revealed that there were autobiographical elements to the story. For me, the best parts are the most down-to-earth, the keenly observed characterizations of flawed but ultimately sympathetic human beings. The fantasy aspects eventually go a little too far OTT for my taste, but I can forgive McCloud for going all the way with a story that obviously means a great deal to him personally.

And here I must confess that this is the first time I've read one of McCloud's fictional works. I devoured "Understanding Comics" back in the 90s, but I've never read "Zot" or "Destroy!" or anything else by McCloud. I also must confess that back in the day, he tended to come off as a trifle big-headed in interviews to me personally. There is definitely that side to "The Sculptor"'s protagonist, David Smith, and I give credit to McCloud for putting his own best and worst into the character.

Artistically, the book reminds me less of Jack Kirby or any manga artist than of a less-idealized Darwyn Cooke. That said, I do definitely detect the Japanese influences in McCloud's layouts and storytelling dynamics.

"The Sculptor" is one of the few graphic novels that actually deserves that overused term, in my opinion. It is insightful and illuminating about the human condition, without ever coming off a self-important or pretentious or precious. Kudos to McCloud for pulling off what must have been a very intimidating project.

Now it's time I borrow the library's copy of the "Zot" anthology.

Thanks for the recommendation, Cleome.

Lard Lad #895328 04/23/16 10:15 AM
sigh

I should've bundled up all my old Zot! comics and sent them to you. I did a re-read earlier this year, and then gave them away to the "free box." Not because I really wanted to, but because I can't keep stuff forever in this dinky-a** space.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Lard Lad #895329 04/23/16 10:19 AM
It's okay, Cleome. The "Zot" anthology seems to be quite thorough.

Lard Lad #895331 04/23/16 10:27 AM
There's a marked transformation between the color arcs and the later B&W. Let me know what you think.

I'm inclined to state a sentimental preference for the B&W arc over The Sculptor only because so many more characters get their day in the sun. Though in terms of technical acumen, The Sculptor is miles ahead. Also, it works as a closed narrative. Whereas Zot! ended with a score of loose ends.

Last edited by cleome49; 04/23/16 10:27 AM.

Lard Lad #895333 04/23/16 10:32 AM
Thanks for the warning about the loose ends in "Zot."

I, too, like it when lots of characters get to shine, but at the same time, I think McCloud did right by the secondary characters in "The Sculptor." They may not have had as much depth as David and Meg, but there were enough hints that they were more complex than they appeared to be.

Lard Lad #895334 04/23/16 10:37 AM
I honestly can't decide whether that's a plus or minus. If you contrast it with the "creatives," (both failed and successful) in something like Alex Robinson's Box Office Poison, it's a very different effect. Robinson juggled like crazy to get as many characters as possible some kind of resolution, but I guess you could argue that he lost some of the intensity that comes with McCloud's single-minded focus. Eh, it's all subjective anyway. shrug

Lard Lad #895335 04/23/16 10:39 AM
I've never read "Box Office Poison." Hang on a minute, I'll check the library catalog to see if they carry it.

Lard Lad #895336 04/23/16 10:40 AM
Poo and double poo.

They have some other works of his, but not "Box Office Poison." frown

Lard Lad #895337 04/23/16 10:43 AM
His Tricked! is supposed to be great, too. I started it, but never got to complete it. I really should, one of these days.

I remember skimming a couple of issues of BOP at a buddy's house, once upon a time. And thinking, "Oh, so like Dave Sim without the talking aardvark and swords. Nah." How wrong I was, but I only found that out years later.

Lard Lad #895339 04/23/16 10:47 AM
The library does have "Tricked!" Hoorah! I'll put in a request for it right now.

Lard Lad #895340 04/23/16 10:51 AM
Done.

And while I was thinking about it, I also requested Marjane Satrapi's "The Complete Persepolis," which I've been meaning to read since recently reading a profile on her.

Lard Lad #895472 04/25/16 08:13 AM
I've only read the first volume, but thought it was really good.

Lard Lad #895482 04/25/16 11:48 AM
Thanks, Cleome. I'll let you know if I think the whole thing is worth reading.

Lard Lad #900679 06/21/16 11:41 AM
^^Whoops. I never posted a review of "Persepolis," but suffice it to say, I think the story is a masterpiece from beginning to end. Highly recommended.

On to the immediate business at hand, Kingdom Come (SPOILERS):

Over in the Legion Forum, there was a brief discussion about Kingdom Come, published 20 years ago today, and which I remember being underwhelmed by when I read it for the first, and, until recently, last time. I was inspired by the discussion to borrow the KC trade from the library.

On reading it again, I liked it a little bit better, but I can't bring myself to call it anything more than a qualified success, especially as most of what I found to be the best scenes come towards the end. Captain Marvel's self-sacrifice for the greater good is genuinely moving, and the later scene of Father McCay single-handedly preventing Superman from losing control is flesh-tingling.

I also couldn't help but notice how, in the two decades since its original publication, Marvel quite brazenly ripped off the Gulag-for-metas concept in their horrendous 2006-2007 Civil War event, and that DC's own horrendous events from the mid-2000s revisited many of the themes of KC, only for the editors and most of the creators to end up condoning the very brutality they allegedly set out to oppose (tellingly, Mark Waid left DC acrimoniously after participating in some of those events.)

My problem with KC is that, as someone who read and enjoyed a lot of the early 90s teeth-grinding, violent, dark, and convoluted superhero stories that KC condemned, I found the story too one-sided and too paternalistic. Let's not fool ourselves -- the characters representing the young generation of anti-heroes are utter ciphers. Which is doubly shameful considering how much thought Mark Waid & Alex Ross seemed to put into their designs and backstories. Contrary to what a lot of readers -- and Waid & Ross -- seem to assume, there were quite a few good early 90s anti-hero stories with interesting, well-rounded characters. The best of these stories were the perfect mixture of the old ways and the new ways, evoking something close to the totality of human existence. KC merely repositions things at the other extreme, which in the long run led to a lot of nostalgic tripe created by bitter, aging fanboys and read by bitter, aging fanboys. Of course, there were also many well-crafted Post-KC stories in the DCU from 1997 to 2002, particular favorites of mine being Peter David's runs on Young Justice and Supergirl. And then, in 2003, DC the pendulum swung once more to the negative extreme, and it seems like it will be stuck there as long as the same people are running the place.

Someday there will be more superhero stories that emcompass the totality of human existence. But in my opinion, stories such as KC are ultimately, for all the good intentions, part of the problem rather than the solution.

Lard Lad #900682 06/21/16 11:49 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Wen I read about Kingdom Come, I'm usually reminded about Moore's Twilight of the Superheroes proposal. And now was one of those times.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Page 28 of 33 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,314
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
TiJulk MrAsz
TiJulk MrAsz
Vyrga
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star