Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/29/24 03:38 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The soundtrack of my life
#901875 07/04/16 11:16 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
I had originally planned this thread as simply a selection of about 20 of my favorite songs. Well, you know what they say about the best-laid plans...

What the concept has evolved into is a sort of free-association, non-linear look at my favorite songs, interspersed with stories from my life and what those particular songs mean to me.

Deciding which song to start with was REAAAAALLY difficult. I finally settled on this 80s chestnut...

...for the following reasons, in no particular order:

- I love hair metal and make no apologies for that.

- I love that this band was willing to risk alienating their fans with a synth-pop song.

- After 32 years, I'm still not sick of it, even though it's a staple of 80's nostalgia and "classic rock" stations. That synth fanfare is positively iconic!

- Dave's lyrics may be artless, but they sum up my basic life philosophy pretty well.

- But most importantly, my cousin Susan sang it many times when she was fronting a Top 40 covers band during the 80s. Which behooves me to mention that when Dave left the band, he was almost replaced by ex-Scandal frontwoman Patty Smyth. Patty's one of my favorite singers to come along in the last 30 or so years, a petite pack of pure NYC attitude with a deep, rich singing voice. For a band like Van Halen to have been fronted not only by a woman, but by an exceptionally talented and charismatic woman, would have been ground-breaking and awesome! To give only one hypothetical example, can't you just imagine how "Why Can't This Be Love?" would have sounded if Patty had sung it instead of Sammy Hagar?

Well, we may have never gotten to hear that, but Patty still recorded quite a few good songs. And coming up next will be one or two of hers.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Re: The soundtrack of my life
Fanfic Lady #901881 07/04/16 11:29 AM
OP Offline
I chose this one because it just kicks ass. And I was in 4th grade at the time, which was a particularly unhappy school year for me -- not surprisingly, a lot of my favorite songs were originally released around this time; I was totally driven into escaping into pop culture, and pop music in particular.

Note, too, that I am eschewing the song's official music video in favor of a still of the album's cover. That's because the video is extremely silly, and not in a good way.

Fanfic Lady #901882 07/04/16 11:31 AM
OP Offline
Here's Scandal's other hit. Unlike "The Warrior", it has a cute, unpretentious performance video:

Fanfic Lady #901885 07/04/16 11:52 AM
OP Offline
Patty's post-Scandal career has, sadly, consisted mostly of material that doesn't do her considerable talent justice. The standout among the exceptions, IMO, is this deep cut -- from the soundtrack of the Michael Bay schlock-fest "Armageddon", of all places -- which never fails to move me to tears. Makes me wish it had been the Armageddon OST's lead single instead of that Aerosmith ballad:

Fanfic Lady #901895 07/04/16 04:28 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Interesting thread, Fanfie. I'm looking forward to more of your stories and reflections.

I was in my 20s when these songs were hits--but I faithfully watched MTV and listened to American Top 40, so I knew these songs. I agree that the "Warrior" video was silly and pretentious. I also grew tired of the song very quickly. I didn't tire so much of "Goodbye to You," because, I guess, I wasn't played as often.

Van Halen . . . what a groundbreaking band in the '80s. I was never a fan, but, in hindsight, I appreciate the unorthodox chances they took. My introduction to them came in the form of "Dance the Night Away," a straight-ahead metal rocker, in '79. They next popped up on my radar with Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman"--a very unlikely cover, but they made it work. And then came "Jump" and "I'll Wait"--synthesizers from a band known for its loud guitars. Even the replacement of Roth with Hagar showed the band could do no wrong--Sammy sounded nothing like David.

I didn't know that Patty Smyth had been considered as Roth's replacement. That would have been very unusual. It would have given an entirely new context to "Hot for Teacher"!

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Fanfic Lady #901906 07/04/16 09:30 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Oh, I would have loved to hear Patty Smyth fronting for Van Halen! I wish I could travel to whatever alternate universe that happened in! (Earth 'cooler than this one?')

Not that I don't like Sammy Hagar (his 'Dick in the Dirt' song is hilariously dirty), but Patty Smyth would have been revolutionary (and perhaps spared us the existential horror that was the 'More Than Words' dude taking over for a while).

Love The Warrior video, cheesiness aside. It's just so weird, and she looks so amazing in that bizarre kimono thing with the blue and red facepaint!

Speaking of Patty Smyth, Sometimes Love Just Aint Enough is pretty good, too.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
He Who Wanders #901922 07/05/16 03:02 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Interesting thread, Fanfie. I'm looking forward to more of your stories and reflections.

Thank you, He Who. And credit where it's due, your Top 40 threads with your reminisces within them were an inspiration for this thread.

Van Halen . . . what a groundbreaking band in the '80s. I was never a fan, but, in hindsight, I appreciate the unorthodox chances they took. My introduction to them came in the form of "Dance the Night Away," a straight-ahead metal rocker, in '79.

J'adore "Dance the Night Away." Heavy metal meets the Beach Boys (whose "California Girls" Dave would cover as a solo act.) It is the quintessential beach-party anthem of the past 35 years, and I don't even *like* beach-parties. LOL lol

They next popped up on my radar with Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman"--a very unlikely cover, but they made it work.

Dave loved doing covers, but Eddie and Alex hated doing that. Nevertheless, VH's cover repertoire in addition to "Oh, Pretty Woman" is quite impressive: "You Really Got Me", "You're No Good", "Dancing in the Streets", and a second Kinks cover, "Where Have All the Good Times Gone?" And Dave had wanted the "1984" album to have a cover of Wilson Pickett's "In the Midnight Hour", but the VH bros outvoted him.

And then came "Jump" and "I'll Wait"--synthesizers from a band known for its loud guitars. Even the replacement of Roth with Hagar showed the band could do no wrong--Sammy sounded nothing like David.

I think the first Van Hagar album, "5150", and the third, "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", both have their moments, but while I like Sammy's Robert Plant-ish voice (in one VH concert video, they did a live cover of the Zep's "Rock and Roll") I think his lyrics were juvenile and crude where Dave's were juvenile but clever.

I didn't know that Patty Smyth had been considered as Roth's replacement. That would have been very unusual. It would have given an entirely new context to "Hot for Teacher"!

LOL

I doubt they would actually have "gone there" in the mid-80s, but it's certainly amusing to imagine. lol

Set #901923 07/05/16 03:11 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Set
Oh, I would have loved to hear Patty Smyth fronting for Van Halen! I wish I could travel to whatever alternate universe that happened in! (Earth 'cooler than this one?')

So do I, Set, so do I. nod

Originally Posted by Set
Not that I don't like Sammy Hagar (his 'Dick in the Dirt' song is hilariously dirty), but Patty Smyth would have been revolutionary (and perhaps spared us the existential horror that was the 'More Than Words' dude taking over for a while).

Oh, Gods, Gary "Overbite" Cherone was laughably bad as a VH frontman! lol In fairness, he did do a decent version of Queen's "Hammer to Fall" at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.

Originally Posted by Set
Speaking of Patty Smyth, Sometimes Love Just Aint Enough is pretty good, too.

I have mixed feelings about that song. I liked it more at the time than I do now. Some of it has to do with Don Henley seemingly getting jerkier and creepier with every passing year (although I do like some of the songs he wrote in the 70s with the Eagles and in the 80s solo; and Patty sang backup on several of his 80s solo songs.) Ultimately, I think it's a decent soft-rock song, but I like Patty better as a hard rocker.

Fanfic Lady #901933 07/05/16 04:47 AM
OP Offline
During the mid-80s, Patty was in a relationship with NYC punk poet, journalist, and musician Richard Hell, best known for his band the Voidoids and their anti-anthem "Blank Generation" (Patty's eldest child, daughter Ruby, was born of this union.)

I prefer Hell's prose to his songs, but he provides a convenient segue into the New York punk scene of the 70s, which arguably produced, out of all the 70s punk scenes, the music which holds up best today. I discovered this music, along with a lot of left-field music from before my time, starting in the late 90s, when I thought that most of the then-current music was...well...lame.

Hell was also the original bassist for the band Television, but even though he was kicked out of the band early on, after losing a power struggle with lead guitarist/singer Tom Verlaine, this provides another convenient segue to Television's first album, "Marquee Moon", which I consider one of the few critics-choice albums that actually lives up to the hype. Verlaine was an amazing guitarist, and while his singing voice is not everyone's cup of tea, I find it a more genuine and sincere style of singing than, say, his punk scene contemporary David Byrne, whose squeaking and squawking has always seemed very affected to me. It's not easy to choose just one song from "Marquee Moon", but "Venus" is more concise and accessible than most of the other tracks, so "Venus" wins the honor:

Fanfic Lady #901936 07/05/16 05:07 AM
OP Offline
There's a few bands that no discussion of the 70s NYC punk scene would be complete without. One of them is the Ramones -- oft-imitated, never bettered, their combination of dissonance with pure bubblegum rock (one story has it that they hit upon their signature sound while trying to learn to how to play the Bay City Rollers' "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night") plus clever lyrics and idiosyncratic but authoritative vocals (provided by Jeff "Joey Ramone" Hyman, without whose sweetheart mensch personality the band would probably have been off-puttingly abrasive.)

Their first album was always their best, and my choice from it is one of the all-too-few songs that Joey did both the vocals and lyrics to:

Fanfic Lady #901938 07/05/16 05:45 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Ah, the Ramones!

It's crazy to think how influential Johnny Ramone has been on guitarists who came after him. His songs may not have been overly complex, but his style of only playing down strums is actually insanely hard to do for long periods of time and it's no surprise that many heavy metal bands took inspiration from guys like him and Doyle of The Misfits. nod

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Fanfic Lady #901944 07/05/16 09:24 AM
OP Offline
True, although the Ramones' frequent producer, Ed Stasium, claims that he ghosted a lot of Johnny's guitar parts on their albums.

Fanfic Lady #901949 07/05/16 10:49 AM
OP Offline
My real-time introduction to the Ramones was their recording of the theme song to Mary Lambert's schlocky-but-fun movie version of Stephen King's "Pet Sematary" (worth seeing alone for Fred "Herman Munster" Gwynne's performance as the doomed family's equally doomed neighbor.)

Fanfic Lady #901950 07/05/16 10:55 AM
OP Offline
"Pet Sematary" was, IMO, where the Ramones found their second win after several mediocre albums during the 80s. That streak continued into their most underrated album, 1992's "Mondo Bizarro", and its lead single, "Poison Heart" (written by ex-member Dee Dee Ramone, because even though he'd left the band, they were still always coming up short on fresh material.) Dee Dee's lyrics are actually the least memorable thing about the song -- too much arrested-adolescent negativity -- but Joey's sincere, soulful lead vocal carries the day:

Fanfic Lady #901951 07/05/16 11:03 AM
OP Offline
The Ramones followed up "Mondo Bizzaro" with the ill-advised all-covers album "Acid Eaters." Why they covered only 60s songs is beyond me -- their timing was completely off, as 1992-1993 saw a big resurgence in early-70s glam rock, with great glam-influenced albums like Suede's self-titled debut and Morrissey's "Your Arsenal" -- and so is why the awful version of the Who's "Substitute" features backing vocals from the songs author, Pete Townshend, which are so bad it almost sounds like he's trying to sabotage the song.

But there is one, and only one, really good track on "Acid Eaters", and it's this cover of a song by the Seeds, a Californian garage band with a cult following (Julian Cope is such a Seeds fan that he namechecked Seeds frontman Sky Saxon in one of his songs.)

Fanfic Lady #901952 07/05/16 11:06 AM
OP Offline
And the Ramones finally called it a day in 1995, but not before leaving us with this wonderful cover of the 60s Spider-Man cartoon theme song:

Fanfic Lady #901953 07/05/16 11:34 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Dee Dee was never really the forefront of the band in the same way Johnny or Joey were, but one song he wrote from Too Tough to Die is still one of my all time favorites of the band's catalog:

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Fanfic Lady #901955 07/05/16 11:46 AM
OP Offline
^^Yeah, "Howling at the Moon (Sha-La-La)" is not bad at all; interestingly, it was produced by Dave Stewart of Eurythmics, and sometimes I wonder how a whole Stewart-produced Ramones album might have sounded. I read somewhere that they had wanted 80s super-producer Steve Lilywhite to do one of their albums, but the record label stupidly said no.

Fanfic Lady #901977 07/05/16 03:14 PM
I don't think I've ever heard anything by Television before, though I knew of the band. Punk rock was never a favorite genre of mine, and if a song didn't reach the Top 40 or if the group didn't appear on "Burt Sugarman's Midnight Special" or "Don Kirschner's Rock Concert" in those pre-MTV days, I wouldn't have heard it.

That said, I really liked "Venus." Thanks for sharing.

The Ramones were certainly in a class by themselves--all the trappings of punk but too cartoonish to be threatening. Their songs were simple, stripped down, and fun--"Rock 'N' Roll High School" was a favorite.

I was surprised to see a Ramones song stretch past the four-minute mark. Their career and their songs were probably best described as "get in, get out."

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Fanfic Lady #901979 07/05/16 03:26 PM
OP Offline
Re: "Venus", you're very welcome, He Who. I'm delighted that you liked it so much. And there is also a video on YouTube with the full "Marquee Moon" album.

Re: the Ramones, I think "get in, get out" is a good way to describe them. Reminds me of one of Bill Murray's lines from "Ghostbusters": "We came, we saw, we kicked some ass!"

Fanfic Lady #902939 07/16/16 10:48 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey FL, what fun!

The Ramones always remind me of my brother who played them non stop way back in the day much to my dads annoyance. At the time I was far too into my jazz and Northern Sould to appreciate them musically though have many happy memories, particularly is singing "now I wanna sniff some glue", "beat on the brat with a baseball bat," and of course "Sheena is a punk rocker." about fifteen years ago I picked up a couple of their earlier albums and a greatest hits at a car boot sale and give them a spin every six months or so for the great nostalgia fix. Pet cemetery was fun too, the sublime marriage of Dave Stewart's synth craft with Johnny and the gangs garage rock was a treat, and really who does want to be buried in a pet cemetery?

The eighties was a weird time musically as you could hear a lot of the warmth being stripped away in the early synth revolution, and I've never been a fan really of hair metal, not that all of it is bad, it just doesn't get my blood pumping. That said, you mentioned Dave Lee Roth and he did a fairly decent cover of one of my all time favourite songs, Louis Prima's I'm just a gigolo. I remember buying Diamond Daves Skyscraper album because of that song and i still have it now, its quite a clever album. There's a song called Damn Good which I still feel resonate s with me now, perhaps more so.

Loving your selections so far and looking forward to what you have next for us.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Fanfic Lady #906552 08/23/16 09:01 AM
OP Offline
Apologies to everyone who had been following this thread, especially Harbi, whose wonderful post I am only now replying to:

Regarding the sound of the 80s, I see and respect where you're coming from, but I've long felt that what TSot80s lacked in warmth, it made up for in scope and epic arrangements.

Regarding Diamond Dave, henceforth abbreviated to DDLR, I agree with you that "Skyscraper," his second solo album, is great fun, as is his "Just a Gigolo" cover.

I also think that his first full-length solo album, "Eat 'em and Smile," is just as good as "Skyscaper," maybe even a little better. Songs like the album's lead singles, "Goin' Crazy" and "Yankee Rose" (I didn't find out until recently that the latter song title is a reference to the Satanic Bible, but I refuse to be judgmental of or make assumptions about DDLR), saw him doing the expected hair metal thing just as good as he'd done in Van Halen, but there was always a lot more to Dave than meets the eye. My favorite deep cut from "Eat 'Em and Smile" is "Big Trouble," a comedy-noir story-song that proved once and for all that Dave was too smart to completely buy into for the B.S. mythology of sunny Los Angeles, even though he'd called the city home for most of his life until then:

Fanfic Lady #906553 08/23/16 09:11 AM
OP Offline
Also from "Eat 'Em and Smile" is this turbo-charged but respectful cover of John D. Loudermilk's much-covered folk/blues standard "Tobacco Road." Even though DDLR had a more-than-comfortable upbringing, he was a class rebel through and through, and he stepped over to the other side of the divide at a young age. I think DDLR's pugnacious vocal on "Tobacco Road" gets right to the heart of the anger and dark humor in Loudermilk's lyrics:

Fanfic Lady #906555 08/23/16 09:15 AM
OP Offline
Another unlikely but delightful cover from DDLR, also on the "Eat 'Em and Smile" album, this runs rings around the more reverent approaches to the Sinatra canon. It works equally well as either a piss-take or a loving homage, and I think that's how it should be:

Fanfic Lady #906557 08/23/16 09:20 AM
OP Offline
The last DDLR cover for now, from the all-covers "Crazy from the Heat" EP (which also featured "Just a Gigolo" and "California Girls"), this song, written by folk-rock pioneer John Sebastian, allows Dave to show listeners the sensitive introvert behind the party-animal façade:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,308
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star