Roll Call
0 members (), 15 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/28/24 08:46 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:21 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by razsolo - 03/28/24 06:18 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Re: The Writers' Discussion/Ideas Thread
Invisible Brainiac #909680 09/18/16 02:47 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
It would be sort of a combination of the original Jones script plus some elements lifted from GL: Rebirth.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Invisible Brainiac #909681 09/18/16 02:52 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
NICE! You've sold me on it. nod

Like I said, when it's meant to happen, it'll happen.

But what I was proposing was for each of us to write a character or team that we *do not* care about that much, if at all, and see what kind of weird and wonderful stuff we can dredge up and out of our minds...

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Invisible Brainiac #909692 09/18/16 03:19 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
That's a very interesting exercise, Fanfie! Would love to see work from you and Kappa. I also love (and agree with) your point that writing fanfic, though not profitable, frees us from editorial shackles and allows us to reach fulfillment.

unfortunately, I'm a bit tied up in real life now and can't commit to this exercise. But it's a very interesting one and I would love to read any work that comes from it.

Invisible Brainiac #909722 09/19/16 12:44 AM
Thanks, Ibby. And I hope you can join in once you find a window of time.

Fanfic Lady #909854 09/19/16 10:44 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
NICE! You've sold me on it. nod

Like I said, when it's meant to happen, it'll happen.

Well, I guess I'll just have to make time then. wink Keep your eyes peeled for the first part to be posted later tonight.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Invisible Brainiac #909858 09/19/16 11:36 AM
YAY! Splendid, simply splendid! I eagerly await it, Kappa. nod

Invisible Brainiac #917067 11/27/16 06:53 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I need help with character design. This is usually the easiest part for me, but I have run into a problem with this one. The character I have in mine is a daughter of Wonder Woman and Batman, from what I want to say is the DCAU world. I am thinking that this daughter was dedicated to the Underworld gods in exchange for her life. I think that would be a nice combination of the two characters (Batman is equated with Hades according by Morrison).

The trouble is I am having trouble finding Underworld deities to give her powers. I would appreciate any suggestions. Here are my current thoughts:

Persephone: Invisibility
Hecate: Teleportation
Ananke/Necessity: Wisdom
?: Beauty
?: Agility

Also let me know if I should just ignore the powers for now and explain them later?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Invisible Brainiac #918045 12/10/16 04:53 AM
Hey, Emily, so sorry I missed your question.

My answer would be to ignore the powers for now and explain them later. Trust me when I say that it's all to easy for a writer to get lost in little details like that, to the benefit of neither the readers nor the writer herself/himself.

I have a new question of my own:

With such a rough year coming to an end, and in the light-hearted spirit of the holidays, I'd thought we should do a light-hearted question in this thread. So here goes:

What are some of your earliest efforts at fan fiction?

Technically, my first one was "Into the Unknown," a Transformers fic from around 2004 (hosted by a site named, IIRC, Legacy of Cybertron, which appears to have gone inactive a long time ago. frown )

The whole idea behind the fic (beyond finally getting a chance to write characters that I'd loved, and still love to this day, since the age of 12) was to explain where all those new characters came from early on in Season 2 without any explanation, and why Skyfire disappeared from the TV series with no explanation, after a few appearances early on in Season 2 (my explanations in a nutshell: the new Autobots had been living on a barren planet they'd colonized and renamed Cybernova, and Skyfire died heroically, fighting a hopeless one-on-one battle against Devastator, to save Cybernova from the Decepticons.)

But if we're going to go all the way back to long before the term fan fiction had been invented, then my first fanfics starred Snoopy & Woodstock, and I did them on a regular basis from at least age 3 to age 9. I cribbed a lot of stuff from comics and books and TV cartoons outside of the Peanuts universe: my favorite segment of the "George of the Jungle" reruns was "Tom Slick," so I made Snoopy a racecar driver, with Woodstock as the head of his pit crew. In place of Tom's arch-foe Baron Otto Matic, I blatantly stole the name Baron Von Crow from Richard Scarry's children's books, but I gave him a whole other personality than Scarry's barely-there cipher, as your basic comically evil German blowhard buffoon, "vit der theek ahk-sent" (if he was specifically influenced by anyone, it was Moe Howard's vicious parody of Hitler in one of the few Three Stooges shorts which I think Stooge haters might actually appreciate as pointed satire.) He had not one but two inept henchmen, a pair of storks named Grullo (who always wore a racing helmet and was moderately stupid), and Grint (who had three large feathers on top of his head and was unbelievably stupid.)

So now let's please hear some similar stories from the rest of you Bits regulars. I'm really looking forward to this. nod

Emily Sivana #918048 12/10/16 05:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I need help with character design. This is usually the easiest part for me, but I have run into a problem with this one. The character I have in mine is a daughter of Wonder Woman and Batman, from what I want to say is the DCAU world. I am thinking that this daughter was dedicated to the Underworld gods in exchange for her life. I think that would be a nice combination of the two characters (Batman is equated with Hades according by Morrison).

The trouble is I am having trouble finding Underworld deities to give her powers. I would appreciate any suggestions. Here are my current thoughts:

Persephone: Invisibility
Hecate: Teleportation
Ananke/Necessity: Wisdom
?: Beauty
?: Agility

Also let me know if I should just ignore the powers for now and explain them later?

Hi Emily! This seems interesting. I think (and I have a different take from Fanfie) that it would be good to have a listing of your character's powers given how important it is to her character. My answer would be different if you were introducing a team/group bit by bit.

I found a link on the Greek Underworld: http://www.theoi.com/greek-mythology/underworld-gods.html

Cronus was the god of time, and king of the Elysian Islands, home of the blessed dead. Have you considered some time manipulation powers? That could fit into the underworld theme - maybe she can slow down time especially around people who are dying?

HEKATE (Hecate) was the goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts and necromancy. How about intangibility?
Speaking to spirits? Maybe she can glow with the light of the moon?

The Fates are mentioned. Maybe she can see the destiny of people - like how they are destined to die, and when?

HYPNOS was the god or personified spirit (daimon) of sleep. What if she can induce sleep? Or invade the dreams of others?

NYX was the goddess of the night. Darkness powers? Invisibility?

Invisible Brainiac #919856 01/02/17 08:04 AM
First question of 2017:

What are your fanfic writing plans for this year?

Here are mine, and please reply to them in that thread, so we can keep the topics on-topic.

Invisible Brainiac #919865 01/02/17 09:16 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Oh Hi Fate. Yeah, I'm making plans...no, not for Nigel... what? >stares< No, Bits plans. I'm tempting you, you say. Well, that's nice of you to say so... oh, you didn't mean it that way did you...? >sigh<

So, things to be derailed in 2017...

- Some LW pet projects (not Bitsy so moving on...)
- Up to #12 in the Retroboot Continued & flesh out roughs for the next year.
- Read this thread
- Read other folks Bits threads & add thoughts (or rent someone else's if they're better)
- Crossover some Bits stuff into the other forums
- I should really get back to doing some JLA Detroit stuff. I've got it planned out for years ahead. It's the more immediate questions that are an issue like "Just what *are* they doing in Detroit?" and some characters who need a DC niche to have any point to them. I did like getting the Supergirl issues, oddly enough. J'Emm less so. But retroboot first.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #919866 01/02/17 09:23 AM
Re: Nigel, pssst...Cleome J'ADORES Andy, Colin and their revolving door of other band members. You might wanna post some of their videos in The Anywhere Machine forum.

Up to #12, awesome!! nod

Fanfic Lady #919870 01/02/17 10:28 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Re: Nigel, pssst...Cleome J'ADORES Andy, Colin and their revolving door of other band members. You might wanna post some of their videos in The Anywhere Machine forum.

Gee, I dunno if I'll have time 'cause... I'm enlisting, overseas aid...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #919874 01/02/17 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by thoth lad

Gee, I dunno if I'll have time 'cause... I'm enlisting, overseas aid...

Ah, no worries, 'cause Sgt. Rock is going to help you and you'll get back to Legion World safe & sound. smile

Invisible Brainiac #919875 01/02/17 12:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Emily, hi there, I'm going to suggest a middle ground from IB and FLs suggestions in that you may want to have in your mind clear abilities for your character, and only allocate a definite source for the main one or two, but after that keep it a bit vague, hint around who may be the source but let the reader work it out. The reason I'm suggesting this is from my spotty memory of Greek and Roman mythology the underworld was very mysterious so us mortals would not know what we would find there, so anyone who had spent time there and returned would have access to dieties and spirits, etc. that we wouldn't know about. Introduce new underworld characters too if you feel like it, there's been 2500 years since anything new was written about it after all. That would be how I'd approach it anyway. Hope this helps.

FL, my plans for 2017 in Bits is to finish Legion World 4 as last year was so chaotic I never got the chance to get stuck into it as much as I wanted. After that I have big and scarey plans for part 5 that I've loosely drafted out, so hopefully I get on with that too.

And I'll read everyone else's stories and hope they aren't using characters I'm planning on using. I'm looking at Raz now,as I hoped to introduce a Universo story but its been placed on the backburner now.

Happy, creative 2017 to you all.

Last edited by Harbinger; 01/02/17 01:00 PM.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #919876 01/02/17 01:04 PM
Tell you what, Harbi (Happy New Year, BTW smile ), I'll send you a PM right now with the character's I'm planning to use. I'll have it on its way in less than 10 minutes. Lazon

Invisible Brainiac #919879 01/02/17 01:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You don't have to do that FL, thought thanks for the offer. I like seeing how we each interpret the characters as we write them. I had a post ready to go and was reading Raz's just before I posted it and he introduced Universo, so until that storyline is finished I'll wait so as not to confuse anyone. It was just a moment of synchronization that happen from time to time.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #919881 01/02/17 01:33 PM
Ah, OK. Well, there's a couple non-Legion related things at the beginning and the end of the PM that I'll been looking forward to telling you, so please read those and scroll really fast through the stuff in the middle. smile

Invisible Brainiac #919882 01/02/17 02:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
How bizarre, it hasn't turned up yet, I wonder if that's because I'm using my phone? You'll get a reply as soon as I have it FL.

Harbinger #919883 01/02/17 02:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Harbinger
Emily, hi there, I'm going to suggest a middle ground from IB and FLs suggestions in that you may want to have in your mind clear abilities for your character, and only allocate a definite source for the main one or two, but after that keep it a bit vague, hint around who may be the source but let the reader work it out. The reason I'm suggesting this is from my spotty memory of Greek and Roman mythology the underworld was very mysterious so us mortals would not know what we would find there, so anyone who had spent time there and returned would have access to dieties and spirits, etc. that we wouldn't know about. Introduce new underworld characters too if you feel like it, there's been 2500 years since anything new was written about it after all. That would be how I'd approach it anyway. Hope this helps...

Thank you for the feedback. I have been busy so I haven't been working on this idea lately. I am thinking of trying to revive RPGs on this site, so I might use the character there. I am generally good at developing characters and settings, but I usually need prodding to finish a story.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Harbinger #919892 01/02/17 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Harbinger
How bizarre, it hasn't turned up yet, I wonder if that's because I'm using my phone? You'll get a reply as soon as I have it FL.

That really is bizarre, I don't have it in my list either. Some kind of interweb-glitch, I guess. I only stopped by her for a couple minutes before I go to sleep, so I'll send you a new, improved PM tomorrow. smile

Invisible Brainiac #919985 01/03/17 11:41 PM
Harbi, I just sent you the new PM. Please let me know right away if you have any problems with it like you did with the last one.

Invisible Brainiac #924866 03/31/17 08:15 PM
Any of you ever linger on the last couple chapters of a story, polishing and refining them over and over and over, almost as if, in some twisted way, you don't want to finish the story?

That's where I think I am right now. Help!

Invisible Brainiac #924867 03/31/17 08:18 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Shoot the dog. smile

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Invisible Brainiac #924869 03/31/17 08:21 PM
LOL lol

There is no dog.

Unless Mad Harriet of the Female Furies counts? She could certainly give a rabid dog a run for his or her money.

Seriously, though, laughter really is the best medicine. It helps me relax, which in turn helps me put less pressure on myself.

Thanks, He Who. smile

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,278
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
snowsparkle
snowsparkle
the incandescent world of ice
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star