Roll Call
0 members (), 46 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:54 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 06:49 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Real question about Rigel!
#921178 01/26/17 03:26 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Hey gang! For the last week my family and I have thought that Venus was very bright in the night sky. Brighter than anything else except the moon.

Turns out that it's Rigel, not Venus. Carol and I were talking about it and only know it's Rigel because of an app on her phone.

So, does anyone know WHY it's so bright, lately?

Tried google and NASA and don't see anything.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Re: Real question about Rigel!
rickshaw1 #921249 01/28/17 04:41 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Rigel, the “Knee of Orion”, is a double blue-white giant only about eight hundred light-years away. So twin big, bright stars relatively close.

However, Rigel is only the seventh brightest star in the sky.

Usually, however, Rigel sits only a few lunar diameters above the horizon; when we look at it, we don’t need to crane our heads upwards. It therefore appears brighter than a star sitting up in the blackness high up in the sky. This is similar to the illusion that the setting or rising moon “grows” in size.

On the other hand, Rigel’s neighbohr, Sirius, the “Dog of Orion” is actually the brightest star in the sky. It is a medium-sized white dwarf (about twice the mass of our sun) less than ten light-years from Earth, and is twice as bright as #2 Canopus. But as it sits even lower in the horizon, its brightness is often obscured—washed out by city lights, or by the thicker atmosphere. Sirius is even subject to the “sunset effect” which dims and reddens the setting sun. (and Sirius)

Just to confuse things a little, the closest star to Earth, Alpha Centauri (a triple star, comprised of Alpha, Beta, and Proxima Centauri) is also known as Rigel Kent, the “Knee of the Centaur”. Alpha and Beta are yellow dwarfs, very similar to our sun, and Proxima is a little red thing. Still, it is so close to us that it is the third brightest star in the sky, although unless you live south of the equator, you will never see it.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Re: Real question about Rigel!
rickshaw1 #992201 09/10/20 05:18 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Klar, looks like I never responded to your kind post and it's information. I apologize and thank you for the info.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,301
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Renly Fox
Renly Fox
Captain's Cabin
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star