Roll Call
0 members (), 14 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Legionnaire Mastermind
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:21 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by razsolo - 03/28/24 06:18 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Image Manip Help
#921910 02/10/17 01:38 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Technically comics related, but it made sense to put it here. I'm looking for help from people who are more experienced in image manipulation techniques to give me some advice. I'm actually using Open Office Draw because I'm a cheapskate, but advice on how to proceede will be useful even if you don't know the specific program.

I want to take comics pages and remove the color, to create my own adult coloring book pages on subjects the professional released ones don't cover (a LSH coloring book!). The problem is, I'm not very well versed in these types of apps. The easy path, just making the image black and white, doesn't work because so many of the darkly colored areas turn black. I can color Colossal Boy's face, but his costume is basically all black.

I'm not sure how to proceed. I THINK what I probably need to do is somehow pick out the actual black in the image, and delete everything else. I'm not sure how to do that, or even if it's possible. If someone has advice on how to get what I want, I'd appreciate it.

Re: Image Manip Help
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #921996 02/13/17 06:02 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
It's tricky. But you're using the wrong type of program to start with - you're using scans, yes, so a vector/drawing program like OpenOffice Draw or Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org) is less useful than a pixel/paint program like GIMP (http://www.gimp.org) or Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net).

It depends what level of fidelity and so forth you're going for too. Using GIMP - primarily Decompose, Color-to-Alpha and Levels - I got from the left to the right in about half an hour. But even granted that it wasn't a great scan to start with, and I did the glowy bits & nametags separately (since they washed out immediately - and I forgot B5's, damn!), it's still noticeably lower-quality than the original. Starting with a cleaner scan (well, digital comic picture) would help, but it's still not something you can really batch unless you have really clean-line, really light-filled images.

Attached Images TheLegion2-TitleSplash.jpg

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #922004 02/13/17 11:02 AM
Active
Active
I think Reboot is right about the program you're using. It might just be too limited in what it can do. From looking at an Office Draw tutorial page, using the "Charcoal" option might be your best bet as a starting point.

I use Photoshop CS2. I was able to get this by first using the "Sketch-Photocopy" filter. Then I selected the non black areas and copied them from a white background layer, and then placed it above the black layer to get rid of some of the black pixel-like elements.

click to enlarge

I think I could get rid of more of the pixels with a couple more white layers, painting, or erasing.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #922181 02/17/17 05:28 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep playing around with programs and techniques but like you said, it will probably be too time consuming for batch work.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #922237 02/19/17 01:01 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I just realized that there is an entire series of Legion coloring books. It's called showcase presents the Legion of superheroes. :-)

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #922241 02/19/17 04:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hah! I had the same idea yesterday looking through the New Gods Showcase. Bit too much black, though. Good luck with your coloring book project!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #922310 02/20/17 11:18 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
My artist friend recommended this video.

Following those directions and adding a brightness/contrast layer, I was able to pretty quickly transform this to this.

Hopefully playing with it a bit more will make more improvements, but it's not bad, and something I could knock out a bunch of quickly! This method seems to be VERY sensitive to image quality, though. Experimenting with some other online images showed that I have to have a very high resolution image to get a viable result.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,277
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star