Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
We're Getting a Freakin' Legion OMNIBUS!!!
#922357 02/21/17 03:34 PM
A
Honorary
OP Offline
Honorary
A
Start saving your pennies now for:

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: THE SILVER AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC
Written by OTTO BINDER, JERRY SIEGEL, EDMOND HAMILTON and others
Art by AL PLASTINO, CURT SWAN and others • Cover by J. BONE
The tales that introduced the teen-team known as the Legion of Super-Heroes are collected in an Omnibus Edition for the first time! Don’t miss these stories from the pages of ADVENTURE COMICS #247, #267, #282, #290, #293 and #300-328; ACTION COMICS #267, #276, #287 and #289; SUPERMAN #147; SUPERMAN ANNUAL #4 and SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #72, #76; and SUPERBOY #86, #89, #98 and #117.
On sale AUGUST 2 • 680 pg, FC, $75.00 US

Did we have any idea this was coming?

Re: We're Getting a Freakin' Legion OMNIBUS!!!
ajohns2012 #922358 02/21/17 04:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It is 680 pages...that is a Harry Potter size book then. I need to create more space on my bookshelf. It sounds like a great buy for those who don't have the physical issues anymore. Is the quality similar to the Archives?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
ajohns2012 #922359 02/21/17 04:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Finally! Thanks for the heads up!

ajohns2012 #922364 02/22/17 02:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So the first few Archives in one volume (For the cover price of one Archive)? Great news for people who don't have the Archives. Anyone have some of the bigger DC Omnibuses? How's the quality/binding?

ajohns2012 #922862 03/02/17 08:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This is great news! Especially for someone like me who's just been caressing the Archives in bookshops for years until I work up the courage to commit to buying them all.

And here's some even better news:

Amazon Prime has it on sale for 51% off the regular price - $37.11 down from $75.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Super...;linkId=fe9d78ffbc7cdb4b4736105c7daac0ce

I'm not sure how long the sale will last but it's probably better to strike fast if you're interested. I'll be getting mine today.

Per this Bleeding Cool post, a whole bunch of other DC Omnibuses are also on sale:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/02/batch-dc-comics-omnibuses-drop-50-off-amazon/

I'm thinking I might get some of them too.

ajohns2012 #922864 03/02/17 08:33 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Thanks for the heads-up, Blacula. I've definitely got my eye on "Flash: Silver Age Omnibus, Volume 2." If the Adventure-era Legion are my favorite DC Silver Age ongoing feature, then the summit of the Broome/Fox/Infantino/Schwartz Flash is a not-too-distant 2nd.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
ajohns2012 #922867 03/02/17 08:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ You've talked me into it FL! I've been umming and ahhing about picking up those 2 Silver Age Flash Omnibuses and that was just the inspiration I needed. smile

ajohns2012 #922869 03/02/17 08:41 AM
Oh, wonderful.

Thanks, Blacula, that certainly brightens my day.

I hope the Flash Omnibuses at least get to the early 200s, because the origin issue of Iris is nigh-impossible to find at ANY PRICE! sigh

ajohns2012 #922870 03/02/17 08:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Which issue # is that in FL? I have a few issues of the early 200s Flash that I haven't read yet (I'm planning to do a big DC re-read one day once I've filled as many of the gaps in my DC collection as I'm comfortable with).

I agree that that period in Flash history is hella expensive though! frown

ajohns2012 #922872 03/02/17 08:57 AM
Blacula, I think it's 204, but I'm not 100% sure.

Shall we continue this vintage-Flash discussion in the freshly BUMP-ed Barry Allen thread in Gy'mll's so as not to incur the wrath of On-Topic Angel? grin

ajohns2012 #922875 03/02/17 09:12 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just looked it up online and it's #203. Darn - I own #202 and a bunch of others nearby.

I can see why it's expensive though. Beyond the Iris origin story, it's also one of the few DC comics from that period that had a photo cover:

https://www.comics.org/issue/24018/cover/4/

I was just reading an article somewhere recently about who and how and why those covers were created.

I'll be more able to contribute to the Flash thread once I've read the issues. smile

ajohns2012 #941498 12/07/17 09:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So those of you who are like me and are loving DC's newish line of Golden, Silver and Bronze Age Omnibuses will be equally excited to hear that a second volume has been released for our beloved Legion of Super-Heroes:

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...ibus-2017/the-legion-of-super-heroes-t-0

Can't wait.

Emily Sivana #942064 12/24/17 07:25 PM
in hiding
in hiding
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
Is the quality similar to the Archives?

Bound to be better quality than the Adventure digests (which is what I have). smile

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
ajohns2012 #942174 12/27/17 07:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I may be elsewhere, apologize if it is, but... are the omnibus' in color?

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
ajohns2012 #942177 12/27/17 07:28 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
It's in color, Rick. Don't have one myself because I have all the Archives, but I've seen confirmation. I haven't seen DC do any B&W omnibuses unless the original material was like that. The Showcase collections are a different animal.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
ajohns2012 #942185 12/28/17 10:58 AM
Active
Active

So, I do own LSH Omnibus vol 1 (hardcover). Not only is it in color as Paladin says, it is in my opinion pretty high quality as far as quality of the paper and brightness of the colors. In fact, I would say the quality is similar to the archives, perhaps identical, perhaps even a tad better. The point is, it's quite close. Also, given the size of the book, the binding appears to be pretty sturdy.

My only complaints are:
1) god-awful choice for the picture on the dust-jacket cover
2) The covers of the comics in which the stories appear are not always included. However, the Table of contents does make it clear which issue each story comes from, and they do tend to re-print the key covers... many early Action/Adventure comics
featured covers that did not show the LSH anyway.

I decided to buy this rather than go back and get the archives, many of which are now quite (if not prohibitively) expensive!! As I just posted elsewhere, I did buy Archive #13 because Omnibus covers Archives 1-3 *exactly*, and I reasoned they would have covered archive 12 by the 4th Omnibus and then likely not be inclined to add another to cover a single archive that is the most recent one anyway.

HOWEVER, per announcement from Blacula above (made of course since my purchases), Omnibus Vol 2 goes just PAST archive 6, so they may end up covering archive 13 by the 4th Omnibus... if they make that many!

"I like stuff that doesn't exist."
ajohns2012 #942189 12/28/17 11:47 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I thought that a Legion Omnibus was something Dr Mayavale drove around in...

I've added this to my little wishlist. It's not cheap here, but it's much better value than what I forked out for the Legion of the Damned TPB a few months ago.

Actually, I ended up giving that to someone to give me it back for Christmas, so technically it was great value smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
ajohns2012 #942202 12/28/17 05:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I actually really like the art they're using on the covers of these Golden, Silver, Bronze Age Omnibi. It's suitably fun and colorful and hopeful (much like the stories contained therein) IMO.

I can also confirm that these Omnibi... Omniboo... (what is the correct term for this?) are in full color and have received excellent binding. The quality of the reproduction is excellent all round actually. I can't imagine how this collection could ever be improved unless it was with full creator annotations and commentary or something.

As for the missing covers, that's only for those issues where the Legion appeared in a back-up story and didn't appear on the cover. At first I didn't like this omission but the more I think about it, the more sense I think it makes to not have a Legion story behind a completely unrelated cover featuring Superboy accusing Pa Kent of being a robot or something. That would just confuse those readers who don't know the Legion's publishing history and can't understand why the cover's contents don't appear in the story.

Evolution Has Failed #942239 12/29/17 12:34 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Evolution Has Failed

So, I do own LSH Omnibus vol 1 (hardcover). Not only is it in color as Paladin says, it is in my opinion pretty high quality as far as quality of the paper and brightness of the colors. In fact, I would say the quality is similar to the archives, perhaps identical, perhaps even a tad better. The point is, it's quite close. Also, given the size of the book, the binding appears to be pretty sturdy.

My only complaints are:
1) god-awful choice for the picture on the dust-jacket cover
2) The covers of the comics in which the stories appear are not always included. However, the Table of contents does make it clear which issue each story comes from, and they do tend to re-print the key covers... many early Action/Adventure comics
featured covers that did not show the LSH anyway.

I decided to buy this rather than go back and get the archives, many of which are now quite (if not prohibitively) expensive!! As I just posted elsewhere, I did buy Archive #13 because Omnibus covers Archives 1-3 *exactly*, and I reasoned they would have covered archive 12 by the 4th Omnibus and then likely not be inclined to add another to cover a single archive that is the most recent one anyway.

HOWEVER, per announcement from Blacula above (made of course since my purchases), Omnibus Vol 2 goes just PAST archive 6, so they may end up covering archive 13 by the 4th Omnibus... if they make that many!

There will be three volumes of the Silver Age Legion Omnibus - likely ending around the end of the Action backup run. Then a new series will start called Bronze Age Legion Omnibus (assuming DC goes the same route as they have for Justice League, Titans, etc). This series would pick up with the Cockrum/Grell era archive content and keep going through the content in the two Superboy and the Legion hardcovers (basically archives in all but name) released in 2017 and 2018. Now whether DC eventually collects the run from Legion 260 up to the GDS in some format remains to be seen.

Colossal Boy #942274 12/29/17 12:40 PM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Colossal Boy

There will be three volumes of the Silver Age Legion Omnibus - likely ending around the end of the Action backup run. Then a new series will start called Bronze Age Legion Omnibus (assuming DC goes the same route as they have for Justice League, Titans, etc). This series would pick up with the Cockrum/Grell era archive content and keep going through the content in the two Superboy and the Legion hardcovers (basically archives in all but name) released in 2017 and 2018. Now whether DC eventually collects the run from Legion 260 up to the GDS in some format remains to be seen.

Thanks for clarifying, Colossal Boy! For me, the key thing is that, assuming you are correct about the Bronze Age Omnibus, there is now definitely no reason to pay out the nose for the out-of-print archives if all I want is a read copy for my shelf.

Evolution Has Failed #942286 12/29/17 11:27 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Evolution Has Failed

Thanks for clarifying, Colossal Boy! For me, the key thing is that, assuming you are correct about the Bronze Age Omnibus, there is now definitely no reason to pay out the nose for the out-of-print archives if all I want is a read copy for my shelf.

Right. There's an app 10 month gap between the release of Silver Age Legion Onmi V1 and V2, so if that pace continues or even shortens some going forward (and sales stay good and I have no reason to think they would not) it would only be a few years until all of the Silver Age Legion and most of the Bronze Age Legion material will be in omni format.

Colossal Boy #945267 03/06/18 04:10 AM
Active
Active

Hey, the amazon pre-order/ad for LSH omnibus 2 is out:

https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Super...-1&keywords=dc+comics+legion+omnibus

INTERESTINGLY, per your comment, CB, it now goes just PAST where the 6th DC archive would go (though by only 2 issues..).

In order to link up with the current hardcover series, it has to make up 10 issues in 4 archives, (unless they do 5, in which case they will get smaller), as it must go thru S&LSH 233.

Assuming they do go to a "bronze age" series, it will be interesting to see where they cut... I think the Action run starts near the end of 1969 and were 15 cents, so to me those are Bronze Age, but with only 20 issues left in the Adventure run, that would be awfully small compared to the other omnibuses, so I assume as you (CB) do that they will put Action there (in V3). If they are interested in catching up within 4 omnibuses, they should also cram all the random Superboy appearances in V3 (before the series starts at #197), but that is they getting WAY into the Bronze age.

Maybe they could justify calling the 3rd omnibus Bronze Age?

ALSO: to those asking about quality, I recently ordered the Teen Titans Omnibuses (silver and Bronze age + two vols of New TT, which FINALLY clears up what had been a complete snarl/tangle of never-quite complete collections.. be sure to get the NEW editions of the omnibuses though, the old ones are incomplete!), and they are both of extremely high quality, have complete tables of contents, and include ALL the covers. smile

Side note: that Nick Cardy (Bronze age TT artist) was REALLY under-appreciated... anyone know if he ever do any issues of LSH? that would be a wonder to behold...

Last edited by Evolution Has Failed; 03/06/18 04:12 AM.

ajohns2012 #1003888 06/21/21 08:38 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I am almost done reading the Vol 1 SA Omnibus - this is probably some of the best comics $$$ I've ever spent.

Such a good read to see the evolution of the early days of the LSH.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

ajohns2012 #1003937 06/21/21 09:56 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I absolutely love these stories.

ajohns2012 #1003946 06/22/21 03:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It is a good comics investment. I got the Archives as they came out and discovered lots of Legion stories I missed as a kid. Whether they're ridiculous or wildly creative, those stories are worthy of multiple re-reads.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Chameleon Boy
Chameleon Boy
RWC, CA USA