Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/29/24 03:38 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl
Emily Sivana #922652 02/27/17 09:09 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I am starting to get really confused by DC continuity. I tried reading Superboy's wikipedia entry for a reference and I am unsure of the characters' current standing or how many versions existed. Is the situation that Jon Kent and Kon-El can't exist at the same time in the universe? I know Connor's origin has gone through the retcon blender before that (Johns made his fanboy dream reality by making him Luthor's son too).

The New 52 version of Conner was a complete mess, so they've set him aside to focus on Clark's son Jon as the new Superboy (Who, BTW isn't the Jon from the New 52 Superboy series).

Cobalt Kid #924095 03/23/17 06:45 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Superman Reborn ended by changing continuity to pull the Convergence Clark, Lois & Jon into the New-52, essentially merging their pasts with that of their New-52 Counterparts. While I liked the Rebirth status quo up until now, I do understand it wasn't a tenable position for Superman in terms of accessibility: "He's Superman, but from older stories, who's replacing the Superman from this universe is who's dead. So he's not the REAL Superman in this Universe, but he's the real Superman to us readers."

With this new blended history, Jon will have always been a part of the New-52, and presumably the "Smiths" go away in favour of the Kents. The next few months promise to show the ramifications of all of this (Like what Clark's history with Luthor, the League and Legion is now).

Also, the threat from Mars (Dr. Manhattan), may not be happy that the reality it created is being messed with.

Cobalt Kid #924110 03/23/17 10:40 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well the threat from Mars should've stuck to burning ants with a magnifying glass instead of screwing up the DCU.

Dave Hackett #924844 03/31/17 02:01 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Superman Reborn ended by changing continuity to pull the Convergence Clark, Lois & Jon into the New-52, essentially merging their pasts with that of their New-52 Counterparts. While I liked the Rebirth status quo up until now, I do understand it wasn't a tenable position for Superman in terms of accessibility: "He's Superman, but from older stories, who's replacing the Superman from this universe is who's dead. So he's not the REAL Superman in this Universe, but he's the real Superman to us readers."

With this new blended history, Jon will have always been a part of the New-52, and presumably the "Smiths" go away in favour of the Kents. The next few months promise to show the ramifications of all of this (Like what Clark's history with Luthor, the League and Legion is now).

Also, the threat from Mars (Dr. Manhattan), may not be happy that the reality it created is being messed with.

Hm. Weird. I don't know if this tightens things up or muddies the waters a lot more than they needed to be. How was this achieved within the story? And will Clark, Lois and Jon no longer remember their pre-Flashpoint Earth?

Ugh. I kinda hate this the more I try to wrap my brain around it....

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #924845 03/31/17 02:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Paladin

How was this achieved within the story? And will Clark, Lois and Jon no longer remember their pre-Flashpoint Earth?

Ugh. I kinda hate this the more I try to wrap my brain around it....

Short Answer - Mxyzptlk.

In his revenge against Superman for "forgetting him", he swipes Jon to a place outside reality and puts Lois & Clark through a maze to get to him, with the longer they take the more they forget and begin to fade themselves. Of course, he stacks the odds against them and it looks like they fail, but Jon manages to pull two Red energy spirits he'd previously noticed into reality, who turn out to be New 52 Supes and Lois. Mxyzptlk, is enraged as he feels like this is cheating. While he and New-52 Supes tussle, Jon communes with a pair of Blue energy spirits, who turn out to be pre-52 Lois & Clark. Jon somehow manages to merge Blue and Red making a complete Superman, merging realities and histories in the process, much to the vexation of Mxy & Mr. Oz (watching from an undisclosed location), who worries this will get the attention of whoever is on Mars prematurely. What they remember seems up for grabs, but a one page "best of" history shows Jon born shortly after the marriage storyline (Post Dommsday).

Cobalt Kid #924846 03/31/17 02:19 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Here's the new reality splash page at the end of the book:

Attached Images IMG_5472.jpg
Cobalt Kid #924880 04/01/17 01:46 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
How many reality shifts is that now for Superman?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #924887 04/01/17 04:51 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Let's see... not sure if Earth-2/GA -> Earth-1/Silver Age counts, since it wasn't intended as a shift at the time however many retcons it included. And "Return to Krypton" failed/was undone.

So:
1) Crisis
2) Zero Hour
3) Superman #200/Birthright
4) Infinite Crisis/Secret Origin
5) New 52
6) Superman: Reborn

...and I feel like I'm missing AT LEAST one or two. Wasn't there another origin revamp between Birthright & Secret Origin?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Cobalt Kid #924925 04/01/17 01:58 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks Reboot. I was getting the feeling that we were becoming more frequent. Poor editorial vision? desperate marketing? no one cares, if it sells? rotating creative teams? constantly better ideas?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Cobalt Kid #925396 04/07/17 02:07 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Well, as I've stated, I'm reading DC Rebirth under the pretense that I'm pretending that everything before Rebirth #1 didn't happen so as not to be bogged down by the past. And in a way, the resolution the other Clark / Mxy / continuity combining story doesn't really bother me at all, and I'm cool with it. As long as the Clark & Lois (& John) of the current series can continue as is and firmly take the place of the complete and total versions of Superman and Lois then I'm happy. For me, it's almost like getting this out of the way now so Tomasi and company can keep telling great stories.

Still remains my #1.

And Action has continued to be great too.

Cobalt Kid #925414 04/07/17 05:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I guess if they're portrayed essentially the same way they've been since the new status quo had been established, I guess it's alright. I just don't think it was all that confusing.

I think how this had been portrayed from the Lois & Clark mini until now makes it clear this wasn't intended all along. And it was some nice comfort food, being thrown a bone for those of us missing the pre-Flashpoint DC.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Cobalt Kid #927351 04/27/17 12:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Latest issue of Action does a brief rundown of Superman's "restored" history, basically blending Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis, Convergence, Ne 52 & Rebirth. It basically follows Johns' Secret Origin for the most part, then Jurgens' "Death Of" (Eradicator, Cyborg, Coast City destruction: in, Superboy: out). The marriage is followed by Jon's birth and then a period of semi-retirement with the black suit (Lois & Clark Mini), leading into the NEW-52 stuff. What isn't mentioned one way or the other is the Legion, which I'm sure is on purpose to keep us guessing.

Cobalt Kid #933683 07/12/17 02:20 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Superman #26 was fantastic father / son issue. Incorporating flashbacks between a young Clark and Pa Kent, and the present relationship between Jon and Superman--especially in light of recent events--it is yet another terrific done-in-one issue with a lot of heart.

Meanwhile, I think Action Comics is doing a great story that truly puts Superman in peril by teaming up so many high profile / top tier villains all at once. Between them and the inevitable (and still awesome) Superman Emergency Squad, this story is really living up to its name! What I like best though is that each of the villains maintains their unique personality at all times, and is able to stand on their own. Particularly Zod, Cyborg Superman and Eradicator, though that isn't too much of a surprise.

Cobalt Kid #936087 08/17/17 07:55 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I can't believe they included Selena in the current Supergirl series.

Cobalt Kid #936373 08/22/17 09:44 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Love the Guillem March artwork in the latest Action Comics issue featuring Superman and Lex.

I saw Selena in Supergirl but I can't remember where she's from. Honestly, I'm having a hard time sticking with Supergirl. I like it well enough but it's kind of lost my interest. It's one of those series that I'm glad exist but have come to realize that in its current form, really isn't for me.

Cobalt Kid #936384 08/22/17 11:56 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Selena was the villain in the Supergirl movie. I'm mostly onboard with the title just to see how the Fatal Five stuff plays out and incrementally moves Legion stuff forward, but Orlando isn't my cuppa as a writer.

Cobalt Kid #947018 04/07/18 06:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've been thinking on this a lot, but I've figured out one of the reasons why I think Peter David's run on Supergirl is decent is due to it being clear he was putting effort into the series and actually gave a crap.

Extreme changes to characters like the Earth-Angel story are often done as a pathetic attempt to boost sales through sensationalism, and there's usually no heart or genuine care put into the story. Peter David's Supergirl feels more like a labor of love and a genuine attempt to do a different kind of Supergirl story on the grounds of wanting to explore new aspects of the concept. Did all this come about because he didn't have access to Kara Zor-El? Maybe. But he took the time to dismantle the idea of a dark, murderous Supergirl and crafted a story about redemption with a flawed heroine (flawed as in one who was not the squeaky clean misconception of Supergirl) but still strove to be a good, heroic person.

Cobalt Kid #948078 04/25/18 07:59 PM
Leader
Leader
Pardon me if I barge in here with something I just posted on Martin Pasko's FB page...

As I read somewhere of late... JUST when National Periodical Publications was trying to put its own "organized crime" roots behind them, they were bought by Kinney-- a NEW YORK MOB company. Kinney also bought Warner Brothers movie studio.

Kinney changed their name to 'Warner Communications" in order to put distance between themselves and... THEMSELVES.

JACK KIRBY commented on this when he had Morgan Edge's Global Broadcating Systems (GBS) buy the Daily Planet, and the first thing Edge tried to do was have Clark Kent & Jimmy Olsen MURDERED. Edge, of course, was secretly a member of INTERCRIME-- a syndicate who actually worked as agents of DARKSEID.

The second Kirby left JIMMY OLSEN, others in editorial, horrified at the implications, concocted a completely convoluted story in which they tried to reveal that the murderous Edge was a clone imposter, and the "real" Edge had been a prisoner all that time.

YEAH, RIGHT.[Linked Image]

Cobalt Kid #949655 05/20/18 08:51 PM
Active
Active
Good news, they’ve announced the return of Super Sons with Tomasi. Bad news, it’s a 12 issue maxi. But at least it means Jon will be around post- Man of Steel. Unlike many, I wasn’t worried about Lois. Jon was another story.

Cobalt Kid #949703 05/21/18 03:13 PM
Active
Active
Never mind. It’s a flashback series “that transcends current events.“ Back to worrying. Maybe even more so.

Cobalt Kid #953013 07/05/18 09:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Did anyone care about anything that happened in Man of Steel?

Cobalt Kid #953014 07/06/18 01:29 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
What happened in it?

Cobalt Kid #967631 02/23/19 11:40 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I don't know *how* this news passed me by, but the current Bendis Superman arc in Action Comics, which began with last month's issue #1007, is drawn by my boy *Steve Epting*! AC #1008 is scheduled to be in stores this coming Wednesday, February 27th!

If it's Steve, then I don't care whether Bendis drops the ball on the story itself. Simple as that, because that's how much I love Steve's style!

And, in belated reply to these unanswered questions in this thread:

Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid on July 06, 2018
Did anyone care about anything that happened in Man of Steel?

Not I.

Originally Posted by thoth lad on July 06, 2018
What happened in it?

Nothin' much, not much.

Superman and Supergirl fought a cliché big, ugly, mass murdering cosmic xenophobe who engineered Krypton's destruction, Jon Kent's Grandpa Jor took him on an indefinite vacation (spoiled boy...fricknfracknlittle...), there was a loose end about a serial pyromaniac terrorizing Metropolis, and...that's really all I remember.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Cobalt Kid #967668 02/23/19 09:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Pretty much everything in the latest Man of Steel miniseries was setup for Bendis' ongoing stories in Superman and Action.

Introduce the big baddy (who is now stuck in the Phantom Zone without answering plot threads of who he is or why he hated Kryptonians so much), get rid of Jon Kent (except now he's back as a late teen/young adult), introduce new crime syndicate (which carried on in Action Comics but without any clear resolution, just further change and progression).

I'm kind-of enjoying Bendis stories, sort-of. Someone described his writing as a very slow burn approach and that it is. Stuff happens, things change a bit, but it is all so slow with very few answers coming and those only raising more questions. Before this I would have said that I liked that approach, but this just feels too slow.

The biggest thing I disliked about Man of Steel?
Kandor was destroyed along with all its inhabitants. Too brutal. Still waiting for that to be undone somehow.

One consequence that is somewhat interesting, Supergirl (not wriiten by Bendis) is off in space seeking answers, currently accompanied by a Coluan (not a Dox), with possible hints of a growing friendship or more.

Cobalt Kid #967669 02/23/19 10:00 PM
Active
Active
I'm really enjoying Action Comics, where the Big Arcs are mostly put aside and he's simply telling good Superman stories.

Equally disinterested in the murder of Krypton plotline, although I'm enjoying the Supergirl arc that spun out of it. Maybe that will change when we discover his motive, but for now it's very blah.

I suspect that spoiler will be undone in the fullness of time, but not while Bendis is on the books.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,308
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star