Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 14 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Re: Overrated concepts
Fanfic Lady #924183 03/25/17 10:35 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
I don't think they're the best cookies by any stretch of the imagination, but I've always enjoyed the shortbread-y ones (Trefoils?)

And the S'more ones they're introduced this year -- I love 'em to bits.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, when it comes to food, I'm generally easier to please than with, say, entertainments and/or arts.

I fully respect your opinion on this, Cle, and don't feel that strongly one way or the other.

shrug

But catharsis, that's always good. And necessary. So I'm glad you got it out in the open. smile

smile Yeah, I guess the shortbreads are okay... but Lorna Doones are about the same, just without that plastic-y glaze on 'em. I just don't get the enthusiasm and excitement so many people have when they appear. (Also, they're made by Kellogg's these days, and screw Kellogg's for perpetrating crimes against humanity like Special K. tongue )

Aside: made some soft spice cookies on Thursday, with the odd name of "Tijuanas," and they turned out pretty well. You were supposed to finish them with a vanilla glaze and pecans, but I didn't bother. They were fine as-is.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
cleome57 #924188 03/25/17 11:22 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by cleome50
[quote=Fanfic Lady]I don't think they're the best cookies by any stretch of the imagination, but I've always enjoyed the shortbread-y ones (Trefoils?)

And the S'more ones they're introduced this year -- I love 'em to bits.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, when it comes to food, I'm generally easier to please than with, say, entertainments and/or arts.

I fully respect your opinion on this, Cle, and don't feel that strongly one way or the other.

shrug

But catharsis, that's always good. And necessary. So I'm glad you got it out in the open. smile

smile Yeah, I guess the shortbreads are okay... but Lorna Doones are about the same, just without that plastic-y glaze on 'em. I just don't get the enthusiasm and excitement so many people have when they appear.

Speaking only for myself, though I imagine a lot of people would concur, part of the reason I get excited is simply because I think it's so cute to see how happy and grateful the little girls are when I buy a box.

(Also, they're made by Kellogg's these days, and screw Kellogg's for perpetrating crimes against humanity like Special K. tongue )

LOL lol Yeah, Special K is even worse than Hershey's Special Dark chocolate, and that's saying a lot!

Aside: made some soft spice cookies on Thursday, with the odd name of "Tijuanas," and they turned out pretty well. You were supposed to finish them with a vanilla glaze and pecans, but I didn't bother. They were fine as-is.

drool

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Thriftshop Debutante #924192 03/25/17 12:46 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm sure the cookies are also so celebrated because they are only sold for a short time every year. If they were always available, no one would give a ****!

I personally don't care. The quality is questionable. The boxes are small. The prices are high. I don't usually buy things under those circumstances, so why make exceptions with Girl Scouts? shrug

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Thriftshop Debutante #924195 03/25/17 01:34 PM
Because I'm a sentimental fool? blush

Thriftshop Debutante #924197 03/25/17 01:40 PM
Having ruminated for a couple minutes, if someone had asked me 10 years ago if sentiment was an overrated concept, my answer would have been an unconditional "YES."

But today? I dunno, I guess my blood has changed to syrup. Really, I'm such a softie these days, sometimes I worry I'll end up melting into a pile of sugary goo.

Fanfic Lady #924205 03/25/17 03:14 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I dunno, I guess my blood has changed to syrup. Really, I'm such a softie these days, sometimes I worry I'll end up melting into a pile of sugary goo.

...and that was the Secret Origin of Confection Queen! Next on LW TV "My Favourite Crowd" with WalkswithCrowds...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #924208 03/25/17 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by thoth lad
I dunno, I guess my blood has changed to syrup. Really, I'm such a softie these days, sometimes I worry I'll end up melting into a pile of sugary goo.

...and that was the Secret Origin of Confection Queen! Next on LW TV "My Favourite Crowd" with WalkswithCrowds...

ROTFLMAO rotflmao

Thriftshop Debutante #924225 03/26/17 07:11 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
thoth lad, you totally should draw/write some fandom stuff for Confection Queen! This is hilarious.

Overrated Concept: Bacchanal Buffet. It looks very overpriced to me from the reviews I have seen. I think the buffet at Aria is better (it is also cheaper).

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Thriftshop Debutante #924394 03/28/17 04:46 AM
Thoth, I'll second what Emily suggested.

Overrated Concept: Comics as Art (I know, I know, more of a Gym'll's forum thing, but the coffee's just kicking in.)

Thriftshop Debutante #924400 03/28/17 05:07 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
My classmates and I were discussing over lunch, but overly-perfect partners. You know, the ones with gorgeous model bodies and perfect faces, and some amazing career (math teacher, lawyer, consultant, doctor...) Like, everything seems effortless for them and they are so perfect, and it might be really tough to keep up with them in a relationship.

Fanfic Lady #924411 03/28/17 08:55 AM

Overrated Concept: Comics as Art (I know, I know, more of a Gym'll's forum thing, but the coffee's just kicking in.)

I definitely found Art Adams overrated when I first saw his stuff. tongue Same with Paul Smith. They heralded what, for me, was the beginning of my disenchantment with shininess, slickness, and tons of rendering in comics art. I stopped feeling any emotional attachment, especially as regards the faces, which always just seemed flat and cold. My immersion in alternative comics like Los Bros Hernandez was just around the corner.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
cleome57 #924486 03/28/17 07:16 PM

I definitely found Art Adams overrated when I first saw his stuff. tongue Same with Paul Smith. They heralded what, for me, was the beginning of my disenchantment with shininess, slickness, and tons of rendering in comics art. I stopped feeling any emotional attachment, especially as regards the faces, which always just seemed flat and cold. My immersion in alternative comics like Los Bros Hernandez was just around the corner.

lol LOL

Oh, Cle...don't ever change.

Moving on to the animation greats, I find Art Davis as underrated as Chuck Jones is overrated.

Thriftshop Debutante #924489 03/28/17 08:00 PM
Definitely agree about Davis, oh and McKimson, too. I don't think he gets enough credit for some of the cool things he did, either.

Jones had some great moments, so I totally forgive him for the number of Road Runner cartoons he perpetrated.

Thriftshop Debutante #924545 03/29/17 07:40 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Getting drunk. I mean, I like drinking a little alcohol to loosen up, but I hate getting drunk and having a hangover...

Thriftshop Debutante #924550 03/29/17 08:13 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
But getting drunk and NOT getting a hangover is amazing! wink

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Thriftshop Debutante #924556 03/29/17 10:02 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Happy, zesty people after you've had a night out and a hangover are very overated.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #924558 03/29/17 10:09 AM
You're safe with me, thoth. I've been 95% sober for a year now, and not for one day's worth have I been accused by anyone of being happy and/or zesty. shake

Thriftshop Debutante #924590 03/29/17 02:34 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Living together before marriage... Studies show that couples who do that are more likely to break up...

Thriftshop Debutante #924658 03/30/17 08:31 AM
I think allotting each couple enough money for a duplex where they each get one floor to themselves could turn this situation around.

I would take the top floor, since mr_cleome has a bad knee. I'm nothing if not generous.

Anyway, you know what else is overrated? Social media that's not set up like Legion World. I'm just too much of a stick in the mud to enjoy the newer stuff as much as I do old-fashioned boards.

And it feels decidedly weird to type "old-fashioned" in conjunction with the internet, but there ya' go. TimeTrapper

Thriftshop Debutante #976492 09/06/19 02:22 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Going to the beach.

Hot pavement, filthy restrooms, creepy people screaming at their kids, getting salt water in your hair, eyes and mouth, and getting sand in every pore of your body. And, as the coup de grace, showers that don't work.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Invisible Brainiac #976497 09/06/19 05:07 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Living together before marriage... Studies show that couples who do that are more likely to break up...

This post turned out to be prophetic for me.

Thriftshop Debutante #976502 09/06/19 06:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Fun in the surf with friends is cool but even better a quiet peaceful beach where you can sit and watch the waves forever.

Thriftshop Debutante #976582 09/09/19 12:14 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Mmm that sounds lovely, stile86.

Having many admirers. It can be tiring getting attention from too many people who think they own you and your time.

Thriftshop Debutante #976583 09/09/19 12:16 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
What is NOT overrated though... is cuddling smile can be nice just holding someone who holds you back...

Thriftshop Debutante #976838 09/15/19 09:21 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Overrated?

Mornings. As the saying goes, I wouldn't mind them so much, if they didn't come so early in the day.

I don't have my shit together until noon. Don't even attempt to converse with me before then, and don't blame me if what I do say makes no sense...

Also super-overrated?

Morning people who are all like 'it's 6 AM, why are you still in bed? Are you going to sleep the whole day away? I've already done X and Y and been to the gym!' Ugh. Go back to the gym, already and let me sleep some more!

Last edited by Set; 09/15/19 09:23 PM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,844
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
M'onel
M'onel
Alberta, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star