Roll Call
0 members (), 19 Murran Spies, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:26 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: The Writers' Discussion/Ideas Thread
He Who Wanders #924888 04/01/17 06:55 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Shoot the dog. smile

And save the cat? hmmm

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Invisible Brainiac #924889 04/01/17 07:29 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Always save the cat. Whizzy

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #924896 04/01/17 08:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Save the cat, save the world? (that would make an interesting story)

Fanfie asked earlier about plans. I have been so busy with schoolwork and job-hunting that I haven't even been able to think of my plans! But I do have a very short break coming up, during which I hope to:

1) Write a couple of chapters for my Reboot Legion fic, including at least tying up the trip to Southeast Asia and the trip to Enwa subplots;

2) Catch up and comment on all of your stories (I have read bits and pieces of most of your work - Fanfie, Harbi, raz, Omni, thoth) but haven't been able to write my comments down

Fanfie also asked about previous fanfic attempts. I once tried to write a fanfic set in my high school, but only got a couple of chapters out. Our class had to put on a play for school, I made a script that was read to the class - it made a lot of people upset because it only included 12 people out of 40 tongue other than that, everything I've done has been here on LW, either in the LMB-verse or in the Reboot reality

Fanfic Lady #924910 04/01/17 11:25 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
LOL lol

There is no dog.

Unless Mad Harriet of the Female Furies counts? She could certainly give a rabid dog a run for his or her money.

Seriously, though, laughter really is the best medicine. It helps me relax, which in turn helps me put less pressure on myself.

Thanks, He Who. smile

That's what I'm here for. (That and to over-analyze 40-year-old comic book stories.) wink

On a serious note, it's easy for the writer to fall in love with his or her story and not want to end it or drive it where it needs to go. This is where Stephen King's maxim comes to mind: "Murder your darlings." Be willing to break your own heart so you can break the reader's. Take it out and stomp it on the ground, and twist it into little pieces.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Invisible Brainiac #924929 04/01/17 05:35 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Thanks, Ibby. Looking forward to your comments.

He Who, I do believe I'll pretend that my story is the head of the office manager who railroaded me into quitting my last day job. smile

All kidding aside, He Who, your advice is much appreciated, and I am already putting it into practice.

Another thing I like to do is to loosen up by brainstorming a new fan fic just for the fun of it. Picture this -- "DCU Elseworlds: Reign of the Superwomen -- 'Who is the real Superwoman, out of the four contenders who emerged after the heart-wrenching death of Kate Carr/Superwoman? Is it (Don't-Call-Me) Supergirl, the feisty emo-androgyne? Is it Cyber-Queen, the icy, pragmatic post-human? Is it Iron Maiden, the armor-clad avenging angel? Is it Goddess-4000, the self-styled Woman of Tomorrow? Stay tuned.' "

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Invisible Brainiac #934068 07/17/17 03:14 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I thought, for the sakes of both my fellow regular contributors to Bits, and the readers following my fics, that I would share the current status of my fic projects, starting, of course, with the ever-elusive resolution to the Legion/New Gods story arc -- I finally finished the penultimate chapter, only to find that the wrap-up persists even more stubbornly in refusing to come together. So, basically, I am setting it aside, along with all my other DCU fics, indefinitely. Now I'm trying to recharge my batteries by starting a Non-DCU fic. It's going well so far, and that's just about all I want to say for the moment, out of worries that I might jinx it if I give away too much. It will be hosted by a site run by a friend of mine, and I'm not going to submit any of it until the story is complete.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Invisible Brainiac #934778 07/27/17 06:43 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Some of you may have noticed the debut of my new Onevision today, "Time Leaves Its Scars". The basic idea has been percolating in me for a year or so, maybe longer. Last night, for whatever reason, I had trouble going to sleep because the ideas for it started just bubbling over. I didn't know that I would start it today. I think that somehow today's death of one of our beloved posters necessitated that I go ahead and start it, maybe as some sort of coping mechanism. He even made it into the story which wasn't intended. Anyhow, the story is not fully formed in my mind, but the ideas are coming hard and fast. I'm not sure how long it will be, when it will conclude or exactly how it will end, but it is what it is.

Anyhow, I just felt I had to say a little something about it.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Invisible Brainiac #934795 07/28/17 02:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I'm happy you are writing again, Lardy. I enjoy your writing style, and it also somehow seems fitting for today, if you know what I mean.

Looking forward to the next installments

Invisible Brainiac #934803 07/28/17 05:31 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I finally started writing again.

It's intended to be a three part story, starting with a storyline involving Mekt, called the Legion of Lightning, as he decides to create his own family, his birth family having 'betrayed him' (by his standards).

I'm taking a bit of a chance in starting out dealing with Mekt and some original characters, with minimal Legion presence. They'll show up eventually, and everybody will be kung-fu fighting. But with lightning. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #934810 07/28/17 06:01 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Lardy, Set, way to go, guys!

Will read the opening installments of your stories this weekend.

Invisible Brainiac #934862 07/28/17 12:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I'm happy you are writing again, Lardy. I enjoy your writing style, and it also somehow seems fitting for today, if you know what I mean.

What really seems weird is how my mind was racing about the story the night before, keeping me awake. I mean, in the moderator's forum, I was the first to express concerns over Abin about a week ago when some cryptic Facebook posts started popping up on his wall, vaguely hinting that something might be wrong. But there had been nothing concrete. So I woke up, feeling like I might have to start writing this thing, and suddenly I learn that Abin/Chuck has passed. It's almost as if he was passing away and leaving me with the drive or push to tell an LW story again for the first time in years. When I learned he had passed, I just knew I had to start writing it. It's a weird way for me to respond to the death of a beloved LWer, but it seemed wholly appropriate.

If it is from him, I'm grateful for the gift!

Looking forward to the next installments

Thanks! There's SO much exposition that I hope it doesn't bog it down! It's hard to tell a story that flashes from one year to several to show what happens over decades without having to explain a lot!

Lard Lad #934876 07/28/17 02:33 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Paladin
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

What really seems weird is how my mind was racing about the story the night before, keeping me awake. I mean, in the moderator's forum, I was the first to express concerns over Abin about a week ago when some cryptic Facebook posts started popping up on his wall, vaguely hinting that something might be wrong. But there had been nothing concrete. So I woke up, feeling like I might have to start writing this thing, and suddenly I learn that Abin/Chuck has passed. It's almost as if he was passing away and leaving me with the drive or push to tell an LW story again for the first time in years. When I learned he had passed, I just knew I had to start writing it. It's a weird way for me to respond to the death of a beloved LWer, but it seemed wholly appropriate.

If it is from him, I'm grateful for the gift!

Lardy, when I was writing "The Every-Boot Legion Volume 1: To Think Like a God" in 2015, it coincided with our dear Lash's first (and, sadly, not last) battle with cancer. One of the main plot points was curing Tenzil of the effects from having eaten the Miracle Machine. Tenzil, as we all know, was Lash's favorite male Legionnaire. I believe there was definitely some intertwining of fiction with reality going on there at the time. And I also think it may be one of my Top 3 best fan fic stories I've posted at Legion World. It's certainly a personal favorite among my own works. Unfortunately, what makes it bittersweet is that Tenzil got better and didn't have any more problems after that...and Lash was not so lucky. After typing this reply, I miss Lash more than ever.

Invisible Brainiac #934879 07/28/17 04:59 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It is nice to have new LMB/LW fiction. I have tried and struggled to write more myself, but I always find it difficult to finish a story.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Invisible Brainiac #934888 07/28/17 05:28 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
It is nice to have new LMB/LW fiction. I have tried and struggled to write more myself, but I always find it difficult to finish a story.
The ideas for this one are still coming furiously, and I'm anticipating writing more chapters tonight.

For anyone unfamiliar with the Time War, it is a story that both Ex and Cobie were building toward a few years ago. During the interim, it seems all of the creatives, myself included, of the LMBverse have kind of unilaterally pulled away from those sorts of activities. Hard to say exactly why, but if one or two kind of pull away, it can have kind of a ripple effect with the rest. What I'm telling is not the Time war itself; I really have little idea where the story was going, and I still feel that some day the story will be told in one form or another.

Call mine an offshoot of the Time War, I guess. Maybe it's the real future; maybe it's not. If you've read the existing chapters, you know how Lardy himself feels about the subject, at least.

Last edited by Paladin; 07/28/17 05:32 PM.

Invisible Brainiac #934891 07/28/17 05:44 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I apologize if my last post in this thread offended or upset anyone. That was the farthest thing from my intention. But I am concerned I might have worded it badly, probably because I'm working through both the recent loss of Abin and the lingering pain of the loss of Lash.

What I was trying to say was that I think there was an exchange of positive energies between me and Lash while I was writing that story, not unlike what Lardy described as Abin giving him the catalytic energy to write his new story as Abin was leaving us.

I hope that makes sense.

Invisible Brainiac #934892 07/28/17 05:48 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I don't see anything offensive or upsetting about what you wrote at all, Ficque. I'm sure many creative people deal with grief in similar ways.

I sometimes think someone may read what I shared about Abin and think I'm just trying to promote my story, but that's far from my reason. I just felt like sharing something that I find virtually unexplainable. My story's there for anyone to read, but ultimately, I'm writing it for myself as I always do.

Emily Sivana #934898 07/28/17 06:46 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I need help with character design. This is usually the easiest part for me, but I have run into a problem with this one. The character I have in mine is a daughter of Wonder Woman and Batman, from what I want to say is the DCAU world. I am thinking that this daughter was dedicated to the Underworld gods in exchange for her life. I think that would be a nice combination of the two characters (Batman is equated with Hades according by Morrison).

The trouble is I am having trouble finding Underworld deities to give her powers. I would appreciate any suggestions. Here are my current thoughts:

Persephone: Invisibility
Hecate: Teleportation
Ananke/Necessity: Wisdom
?: Beauty
?: Agility

Also let me know if I should just ignore the powers for now and explain them later?

So I just happened to notice this (like a year later...), and if you are willing to go outside of Greek mythology, would recommend Erishkigal (for beauty) and Izanami-no-Mikoto or Maman Birgitte (a voodoo 'lwa' of death, along with Baron Samedi, Baron Cimitiere, etc.) or something for agility (less 'agility' as in the ability to dash forward in startling bursts of speed, from a statue-like state of stillness, more creepy movie-monster 'agility' than would be traditional, but better suited to a death-goddess). I like Maman Birgitte best for that, since the priest 'ridden' by her moves in fantastic and inhumanly flexible ways, a sign of being possessed by the loa.

Obviously Wiki is great for finding death gods with attributes that fit what you are looking for. Keres seems somewhat suitable for 'agility,' if you want to stick to Greek goddesses.

I had, some time ago, imagined what a female version of Captain Marvel, empowered by the six main Olympian goddesses would look like. Her 'Shazam' word would be Ahadah, after Athena, Hera, Aphrodite, Demter, Artemis and Hestia. But I never really went anywhere with it.

Last edited by Set; 07/28/17 06:49 PM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #934899 07/28/17 07:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That is amazing timing as I have been thinking of writing that particular story again. I will definitely take your suggestions to heart, Set.

She would be a main character of Huntress fanfic with all the different versions of the Huntress. I know there are a few fans around here so maybe I would be able to finish the story.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Lard Lad #935041 07/31/17 04:18 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

For anyone unfamiliar with the Time War, it is a story that both Ex and Cobie were building toward a few years ago. During the interim, it seems all of the creatives, myself included, of the LMBverse have kind of unilaterally pulled away from those sorts of activities. Hard to say exactly why, but if one or two kind of pull away, it can have kind of a ripple effect with the rest.

I think part of it is that our shared universe is so intertwined. It doesn't feel right for me to write an LMB story without at least referencing elements that all of you have created. It feels less rich somehow. And of course there is the momentum factor.

Lard Lad #935050 07/31/17 07:49 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I don't see anything offensive or upsetting about what you wrote at all, Ficque. I'm sure many creative people deal with grief in similar ways.

I sometimes think someone may read what I shared about Abin and think I'm just trying to promote my story, but that's far from my reason. I just felt like sharing something that I find virtually unexplainable. My story's there for anyone to read, but ultimately, I'm writing it for myself as I always do.

Much appreciated, Lardy. And I'm sorry I haven't gotten to yours and Set's stories yet. I'd meant to have read them by now, but it's been a...shall we say, "interesting" last few days, and finding out first thing this morning about the death of one of my greatest inspirations (see the Anywhere Machine) has just kept me in a weird funk of a state all day and night.

Invisible Brainiac #935053 07/31/17 08:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hey, I can't complain. I haven't read your fics like I'd hoped to. I sure can't expect you to read mine when I've been lax with yours.

While it's nice to see my story getting some views, it's even nicer to feel those creative juices flowing again! I've really missed lardy, so it's good to take a longterm look at how his life turns out...if the timeline holds!

Lard Lad #935057 07/31/17 09:04 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Pal-Lardy
Hey, I can't complain. I haven't read your fics like I'd hoped to. I sure can't expect you to read mine when I've been lax with yours.

Ah, yes, my notorious Story Which Refuses To Let Itself End. lol sigh

Seriously, though, I'm hoping to have it finally done by the end of this month, just in time for the Kirby Centennial. But I've learned it's best I not put any pressure on myself -- especially with stories as complicated as that one -- and just let it happen when it's meant to happen.

Originally Posted by Pal-Lardy
While it's nice to see my story getting some views, it's even nicer to feel those creative juices flowing again!

I know exactly what you're talking about. Yes, there's nothing quite like that feeling. It's downright transcendental. nod

Invisible Brainiac #936243 08/19/17 04:21 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I surrender!

Real Life, not so much my personal life as just the world in general, has gotten so unpleasant in the past few weeks, that I just can't go any further with the Legion/New Gods story, or, really, anything that involves continuity (be it canon or my own) or shades of gray or pseudo-realism or intense violence.

To everybody who has been following that story, whether you have commented or not, I thank you and I ask you now to please forgive me for not being able to go any further with that story until an indefinite amount of time has passed.

I do take cold comfort in the knowledge that Jack Kirby himself didn't get to complete his New Gods/4th World saga until more than 10 years after its unintentional anti-climax. The last time I re-read Kirby's complete saga, I came away feeling that, for whatever reasons, the final installment -- the graphic novel "Hunger Dogs" -- was actually better-written and more cohesive than the earlier installments.

Hopefully history will repeat itself for my humble (*cough* slightly pretentious *cough*) little fan fiction.

I have a couple other fan fiction projects in the works, but they are of a lighter, brighter, simpler, and (hopefully) more accessible nature than the majority of my Bits contributions to date. And I'm sure you'll understand that I'm in no hurry to get them finished and ready for posting. And FTR, one of them is Ayla Ranzz's biography -- I still think that the scene in the Legion/New Gods story where she opens up to Salu about a past trauma is the best fiction writing I've done to date.

At least now I'll have lots of time freed up so I can catch up on everybody else's fan fictions.

Invisible Brainiac #936247 08/19/17 07:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Go where the spirit moves you Annfie!

As for "Time Leaves Its Scars", guys, it is NOT done! The reality of returning from a staycation has delayed the next chapter to this point. Plus, though I knew the main thing that would happen in the next chapter, there was an aspect of the chapter that I had to think through somewhat. I've pretty much worked that out, but I just have to fond time to actually write it. I hope to do so in the next week-ish!

All I will say about the next chapter is that Lardy experiences a major life event and receives a special visit from a relative!

Invisible Brainiac #936257 08/20/17 06:55 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I find Klar-Ken's recent writing to be very intriguing. I'm planning on trying to start a RPG here in the near future, and your ideas seem similar to my own.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,938
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tekwych
Tekwych
New Mexico
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star