Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legion of Earth-S!
#792289 10/25/13 04:00 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
What would it be like?

Re: Legion of Earth-S!
Eryk Davis Ester #792291 10/25/13 04:03 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
That's the Shazam universe, right? If so, Thunder would be one of the founders, I'm guessing.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Eryk Davis Ester #792292 10/25/13 04:08 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
Maybe, though I was imagining Cap. Jr and Mary taking over the Superboy/Supergirl roles.

I'm thinking it would be somewhat more of a magic/fantasy-based universe than the sci-fi setting of the typical Legion.

Eryk Davis Ester #792294 10/25/13 04:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I picture Freddy Freeman in the Shazam role because I like his personality best. Black Adam could try to recreate his kingdom in outer space. Their Science Police/Government Liaison could be the 31st century version of Spy Smasher.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Eryk Davis Ester #792305 10/25/13 05:59 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I think it might be like ...

Bulletboy - He possesses gravitational powers, inherited from a long family line (a sub plot in itself). The original powers came form a gravity helmet over a millennia ago. His powers enable him to blast into objects without suffering physical injury. Bouncing Boy analogue/ Fawcett's Bulletboy

Bulletgirl - Bulletboy's older sister, reversing the Lightning Lad/Lass ages. Possesses the same origin as Bulletboy, but her gravitational powers are more precise. She can fly at superhuman speeds, but also makes anything super light or super heavy. A Light Lass/ Star Boy/Fawcett's Bulletgirl combo.

Atom Boy - Champion of Xanthu, beloved by his people and an irritant to his colleagues. Atom Boy has power over his own structure as well as the structure of other items that he destructs in spectacular atom bursts. His power is great, even if if the intelligence behind it isn't. He makes up with it in ego. An Atmos/Fawcett's Atom Blake.

Aviax or Phantom Lad - Aviax is really the ghost of an aviator killed in one of the many wars faced by the UP. Aviax spirit lives on to prevent further war. He his form is naturally that of a phantom, and he has to concentrate to become solid. Further training has shown he is no longer tied to his human form, and can alter it. His favourite is a giant eagle, reminding him of his career as a young airforce pilot. A Fawcett's Phantom Eagle/ Wanderer's Aviax/ Phantom Girl combo.

Shadow Lad - Survivor of the special elixir that grants one member of his tribe near supernatural powers. Shadow Lad has powers over shadow and darkness. Shadow Lad is a fearsome warrior, often considered reckless in his pursuit of a foe to triumph over. A Shadow Lad/Shadow Lass/ Fawcett's Captain Midnight combo. The elixir is a nod to the Oveltine sponsors of the original radio show.

Captain Marvel Jr- taken into the future, as above

Mary Marvel - taken into the future, as above

Lieutenant Lad - Every path not taken, every choice not made. Lieutenant Lad can see what would have happened in all of those situations as he can summon variations of himself from across the multiverse. - A Lieutenant Marvels/Duplicate Damsel combination.

Tiger Girl - Tiger Girl comes from a race of animals bred to develop human traits. Her ancestors suffered terribly in experimentation, but this was replaced by genetic alterations in later generations. Her people were still captives and Tiger Girl eventually escaped by impersonating one of the researchers. Tiger Girl masquerades as a human who can transform, while she looks for a way to help her people. A fellow escapee is Hoppy. She has discovered that the UP may have funded the research. A Tawky Tawny/ Tiger Girl Legion applicant combo.

Thunder - as above and taking the Ultra Boy role in the team. A nice gender reversal to the Mon-El/ Ultra Boy duo with Thunder/ Mary Marvel

Kid Eternity - If you're willing to retcon as DC did.

Kid Psycho/ Brainiac - another member of Mister Mind's race. He has wormed his way into the brain of a coma patient who now acts as his vessel for "good". Hated by one of the Legion's enemies Mister Mind, there are concerns that their respective groups are props in a far more private, deadlier war. A Mister Mind/ Brainiac Combination

Invincible Boy - The others don't realise that his powers depend upon his Ibistick, which he has made invisible. Ibis is an ancient Egyptian prince, reincarnated to the 31st century. Ibis is granted his abilities by Thoth. Just mentioning that.

Banshee Boy - A Tyroc/Fawcett's Banshee O'Brien combo keeping all the stereotypes in one place.

Radar Girl - Trained in all the arts of 31st century espionage. Radar Girl has uncanny sensory powers rumoured to be provided by her masters often fatal methods. But there may be more to her than that, considering she was born on Orando. Radar Girl works very closely with Spy Smasher (below). A Sensor Girl/Radar combo.

Whiz Kid - As much super-acrobat as super-speedster, Whiz Kid is a combo of Impulse/Timberwolf & Fawcett's Pinky. Whiz Kid's mentor/father was also a hero.

Nemesis Kid - Trained from childhood to be the ultimate soldier, this young man struggles against his family, training and heart in his time with the Legion. A Nemesis Kid/ Karate Kid/ Fawcett's Minute Man combo.

Kid Commando - The UP's poster boy, and forced leader of the Legion for a while. Kid Commando is there to promote army recruitment and UP propaganda on the fringe worlds. He has enhanced strength, speed and endurance, but can also draw power from others to boost his own. A Fawcett Commando Yank/ Westerner Academy student/ Earth Man combo.

Isis Picking up a role as one of the team's chief scientists. Possibly a bit of Harmonia Li creeps in due to her heritage.

Golden Boy Obtained his abilities from a strange gas that his parents had invented. They were killed when he was a boy and he was raised in the desert by prospectors. Golden Boy can be a bit snobbish due to his early upbringing, but he's tough as nails in a fight or a survival situation. He can temporarily transmute minerals. Trianing has also enabled him to emit a gaseous enshrouded energy beam, transmuting the air along it's path. An Element Lad/ Gas Girl/ Golden Boy/ Fawcett's Golden Arrow combo.

behind the scenes is simply Spy Smasher, the leader of the Legion Espionage Squad. Members of the Legion are called when necessary, but seldom agree on the details of what Spy Smasher looks like. A Spy Smasher/Chameleon Boy combo.

21 members in the team gives it a nice Legion feel to it.

Another UP hero is Master Man - Last scion of a race of eugenicists this lonely hero tries to uphold the ideals of his race, while trying to atone for the actions that made it extinct. An Element Lad/ Singularity/ Fawcett's Master Man combination.

Of Legion interest: Both the Black Witch and Colour King were foes of the Fawcett characters Mary Marvel and Ibis respectively.

I might pop back and tidy this first quick attempt up. I had fun putting it together.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Eryk Davis Ester #792308 10/25/13 06:20 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
COSMIC BOY: shoots magnetic rays out of his eyes that can attract/repel metal, but doesn't have the wider range of manipulation we normally associate with magnokinetics. So he could stop/deflect a hail of bullets or stop a shuttle from taking off by increasing its attraction to the ground, but wrapping someone up in coils of metal is a bit out of his range. Has to wear a bubble helmet at all times as our atmosphere is toxic to his people.

LIGHTNING BOY: pretty similar to our Garth in his power application, personality & backstory, but in this reality the Lightning Beasts of Korbal are ancient wish-granting magical creatures. They bestowed some of their magic lightning on the Ranzz kids but one day will call in the favor...

SATURN GIRL: in her original green & yellow outfit. She still has super-telepathy but it's a mystic effect of being born on Saturn and so she can use her power on anything with a mind, be it human, animal or even machine! Her most common tactic is to summon and control the monsters of the 31st century to do her bidding. Aside from communication, she tries to avoid using her power on sentient beings out of respect for their free will. It's well known that without exposure to the rings of Saturn, Titanians would be corrupt and self-serving. Saturn Girl has had ore from the rings shaped into Saturn-shaped earrings so she can be under their calming influence at all times.

Freddy and Mary are their Superboy and Supergirl analogues.

A couple of other members:

THUNDER is their Mon-El analogue...their Phantom Zone is a timeless limbo like ours, but it interacts with the rest of their universe in a way where they can only watch time outside go backwards. She was trapped in there in the year 4013 and joined the Legion after they finally liberated her 1000 years prior.

SIVANA 5 is their Brainiac 5 analogue. Dr Sivana kept cloning new bodies for himself when the old ones reached their end, but something went wrong this time and Sivana 5 is as good as the original is evil. He's in love with Mary Marvel.

BULLET BETTY is their Shrinking Violet analogue. From the world Imsk which was populated by pixies eons ago, she is permanently 6 inches tall like all her people. They have channeled their innate magic into technology over the centuries so they can fly and sense magic but that's it as far as sorcery for most of them. They do create the wildest often steampunk-inspired technology though, and they have an elite squad of bulleteers who reverse-engineered the original Bulletman's helmet to keep their world safe from space dragons. Bullet Betty uses one of these helmets in the Legion.

MATTER-EATER LAD: Young Tenzil Kem accidentally unleashed the sin Gluttony upon his homeworld Bismoll. To save his world he selflessly performed a ritual to trap Gluttony in his own body. Now he's always hungry and can eat anything he sees, so he decided he might as well do good with it.

Wooh, this is fun! More? laugh

EDIT: I forgot to say, they all wear their names on their clothes a la the Legion's first appearance because it's so hokey it comes all the way back round to being awesome!

Also looks like me and thothkins (stoopid spellcheck!) posted the same time...big points for Tiger Girl! Very cool!!

Last edited by razsolo; 10/25/13 06:26 PM.
Eryk Davis Ester #792311 10/25/13 06:27 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
I love Thunder as the Mon-El analogue, but I'd use some kind of reverse suspendium or something!

Eryk Davis Ester #792312 10/25/13 06:31 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I did a very similar XS to your Tenzil over in the Alternate Legion thread. I totally forgot and will bring that across if I edit the above. Thanks for the reminder. How could I forget just as a Fawcett thread came up. Duh! smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Eryk Davis Ester #792313 10/25/13 06:37 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I love Thunder as the Mon-El analogue, but I'd use some kind of reverse suspendium or something!

Oh yes! Awesome idea, I like it!

Also, Bullet Betty is clearly going to have a storyline later down the track where she foolishly makes a deal with some evil power or another so that she can become normal human size to hang out with her Legion pals. She'll then be corrupted and menace the Legion as...X-Bomb Betty!

Eryk Davis Ester #792319 10/25/13 07:12 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Here it is...

Bismollian explorer T'Eth Adym had spent years uncovering the lost legends and mysteries of the galaxy. From Ekron to the Puppet Planetoid his wealth and reputation grew with each success. However, with fame came ego and avarice.

On his last fateful journey, Adym discovered the legendary Rock of Eternity. There, he unleashed the deadly sins back into our universe.

One immediately saw the greed in Adym and possessed him. Adym can now consume everything around him, including energy. Adym pretends to control his power by leeching off of his surroundings on a constant basis.

His life is a constant struggle to keep his demonic side under control. When consuming too much, he becomes a bloated, bouncing force of discord.

Adym joined the Legion when they began to track down the other deadly sins as they created havoc across the United Planets.

He is XS.

Eryk Davis Ester #916773 11/22/16 01:16 PM
Once again, I have Eryk Davis Ester to thank for giving me good ideas for fan fiction. (With additional thanks to Emily Sivana for reminding us of the greatness of the Fawcett-verse.)

This thread had been in the back of my mind since I conceived the 7 Worlds of Wonder "Solar System" of DC Universes:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=915671#Post915671

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
EARTH-7.7 (Earth-Shazam): The youngest and brightest of the 7 Worlds, whose founding heroes are THE SHAZAM FAMILY of the Brigadoon-like, extradimensional THUNDERWORLD, followed by THE ALPHA PEOPLE (a dynasty...of space, founded by E-7.6 fugitives ALEXANDER LUTHOR SR. & LOIS LANE, a reluctant hero from E-7.7's planet Earth, ADAM STRANGE, and his partner in both adventure & romance, ALANNA STRANGE of the planet Rann.  This universe's first and most important team to originate on the planet Earth itself would be the GLOBAL GUARDIANS, followed two generations later by YOUNG JUSTICE.

This world is also home to the last remaining ATLANTIS in any of the 7 Worlds, and has the only 21st Century Trinity that is both multi-racial and two-thirds female: (SUPERWOMAN (Linda Danvers), THE MIDNIGHT MIST (Sholo, son of Global Guardians founder DOCTOR MIST), and WONDER WOMAN (Cassandra Sandsmark.)) 

Most notable teams: THE SHAZAM FAMILY (1940-1953, 1975-Present), THE ALPHA PEOPLE (1956-2356), THE GLOBAL GUARDIANS (1974-1986, 1996-Present), JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL (1987-1995, an oddball "interim team" of sorts before the return of the Global Guardians), YOUNG JUSTICE (1998-Present), LEGIONNAIRES (3016-Still active)

However...it was only when I got to thinking about how to make the E-7.7 Legion/Legionnaires more than just as pastiche of all the things I liked best about the Pre-DnA Postboot Legion (For future reference, maybe we should just call it "The Moy Era," in honor of the underrated "Legionnaires" monthly artist who hung in there for 5 years, with all the ups & downs. But I digress.)

THEN I remembered this exchange in this thread between myself and EDE:

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
That's the Shazam universe, right? If so, Thunder would be one of the founders, I'm guessing.

Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Maybe, though I was imagining Cap. Jr and Mary taking over the Superboy/Supergirl roles.

But of course!! Thanks, EDE.

Thus inspired, I revised my original plans slightly, and came up with:

MARY MARVEL = Supergirl

CAPTAIN MARVEL JR. = Superboy

THUNDER = Laurel Kent (No Manhunter jokes, please.)

How's that sound?

And while I'm still figuring out how to incorporate more of the Fawcett-verse into the Postboot pastiche, here's the tentative Legionnaires lineup with a few random thoughts:

UMBRA love SPARK

APPARITION love ULTRA BOY

SPIDER-GIRL, EVOLVO, INFERNO all join Legion

TRIAD = 3 personalities, 3 hairdos, they merge into a sensible shoulder-length hairdo. That gives me nothing to complain about. lol

BABBAGE = The Preboot Ferro Lad role (doesn't die, though.)

Rounding out the tentative roster:

SHIKARI, MAGNO, MONSTRESS, KID QUANTUM (Jazmin), KINETIX, TIMBER WOLF (along w/BABBAGE, the only other nod to DnA, unless you count the way DnA made MONSTRESS tolerable rather than sickly-sweet...just before they killed her. I have no plans to kill her), LEVIATHAN, SHRIKING VIOLET, BRAINIAC 5, GATES, and...yes...LORI MORNING (I *like* her, what else can I say??)

Eryk Davis Ester #916777 11/22/16 02:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I came up with a cool idea. How about a Captain Fawcett working for the Science Police, as a nod to the original publisher?

Trouble Boy- A good version of Echo whose sonic powers make him a joke at best and dangerous at worst (as sound based characters traditionally don't do well in comics). He eventually forms this universe's Substitutes group and teaches at the Academy later in life.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Eryk Davis Ester #916793 11/23/16 01:56 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Just my opinion.

An Earth-S Legion would be very different from the one we know.

The only major alien I can think of is Mr. Mind. Earth-S was less populated by ‘space aliens’ than with ‘astral aliens’: angels (Mr. Keeper) and demons (Sabbac). Magic was also more prevalent in the S-Universe. (Not that it was non-existent on Earth-1 and Earth-2).

The Legion as we know it is a reflection of Superboy: Teen-age super-heroes from a host of alien worlds.

Perhaps the base Earth-S Legion would be a host of heroes whose powers individually duplicate the ‘Elders’: Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury, Selena, Hippolyta, Ariadne or Artemis, Zephyrus, Aurora or Aphrodite, and Minerva.

Power of Solomon: replaces Brainiac 5?
Power of Atlas: replaces Colossal Boy?
Power of Zeus: replaces Lightning Lad?
Power of Mercury: replaces XS?
Power of Ariadne: replaces Spider-Girl?
Power of Zephyrus: replaces Nightwind?

…and so on.

Other ideas: 31st-century versions (good or evil) of Mr. Mind and Mr. Atom, and King Kull.

Or whatever.

Last edited by Klar Ken T5477; 11/23/16 07:44 PM.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Eryk Davis Ester #916795 11/23/16 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
An Earth-S Legion would be very different from the one we know.

That's all a matter of individual perspective, Klar.

I'm coming at it from the view that Earth-7.7 is a hybrid of various DCU strands, including the Fawcett characters and concepts, which I feel all compliment each other. The key of my interpretation of this Earth's Legion is that the Postboot Legion was graced by the presence of Thunder, an offspring of the blended DCU/Fawcett-verse introduced in the 1990s. She never got to live up to her potential for various behind-the-scenes reasons. Ergo, I've made her and her ancestors the stars of, and original inspirations for, the Legion.

IMHO, trying to bring it all in strict formation with the "rules" of the Fawcett-verse is counter-productive and limiting.

However, that is just my opinion, and not meant as anything personal against you or your perspective. Each of the perspectives shown by all of those who have posted in this thread are equally valid.

Eryk Davis Ester #925194 04/04/17 08:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have been seeing a lot of science-fiction in my FB feed lately (mostly Rick and Morty) and somehow it reminded me of this thread. There is at least a handful of science-fiction races in the Fawcett Universe, mostly from later in the publishing run and the '70s revival. They just happen to be mostly the bad guys., wink On top of that, writers can always create new species.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Chameleon Boy
Chameleon Boy
RWC, CA USA