Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad), 43 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Gaseous Lad - 03/29/24 08:23 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Gaseous Lad - 03/29/24 08:18 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/29/24 08:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 03/29/24 08:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/29/24 07:00 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/29/24 06:59 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: CONFESS! To your crimes against comics!
Thriftshop Debutante #908601 09/12/16 06:48 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I was telling my Dad about this thread and he told me a story I had never heard before, and the reason is its probably his most shameful crime he's ever committed against comics (or kind-of comics, more pulp magazines).

In the mid-60's when he was either 13 or 14 (so 1965 or 1966) he was in a grocery store with one of his buddies and to kill boredeom they were skimming the various magazines that the grocery store sold.

Digression: like everyone from that era, he always talks about how corner stores and pharmacies and other places sold comics on the newstand. But for some reason, certain grocery stores would not sell comic books. Instead, they had large displays of magazines.

Anyway, back then there was like a thousand magazines, more than today, including a whole genre of movie monster magazines. My Dad, a big fan of Hammer horror then (especially at that perfect age of 13 or 14) was looking through a random Warren magazine--either Creepy or Eerie--and was SHOCKED to find out it contained black & white comic book stories. He was then even more shocked to find that his beloved favorite comic artist, Steve Ditko, had a 5 or 6 page story in it. Within, he discovered that you could send away for the prior issues of the magazines through a subscription with the company itself. Having a paper route and priding himself on always having money, he promptly did this. Over the course of the next few months, he sent away for the entire runs of Creepy and Eerie up until that point, which was like #8 or something like that. Over the next few years, as his comic book habit waned for the first time, he still managed to keep up nearly complete runs of Creepy, Eerie and then the first few Vampirellas too.

Then, in 1970 he stopped collecting comics all together. He would not come back until 1981. His numerous Silver Age comics were boxed, bagged and stored away where he would eventually reconnect with them, fill in the gaps and complete his collections.

However, the various Warren magazines received no such treatment. Not bagged, they were crammed into a cardboard box and tucked away somewhere in a very messy basement through the ensuing decade. Somewhere along the way, the basement had some light flooding and all of those beautiful Creepy and Eerie magazines were brutally damaged by water.

It was only in the 80's when he realized what he had and what had been ruined that he understood the true nature of this crime.

As an aside, some of them still survived. I remember finding them randomly in my teens and wondering what they were. They're in pretty poor condition but that's better than not having them at all, I say.

Thriftshop Debutante #908720 09/13/16 10:04 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
This thread...bringing families together in guilt and horror!

Thriftshop Debutante #908721 09/13/16 10:08 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
lol

Thriftshop Debutante #911004 09/27/16 10:10 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
The cover just came off an issue of Comic Book Artist! By itself! Sure, I was *holding* it at the time, but only barely.

No, not that I was bare while I was holding it. That's a different confession thread.

But it was so flimsily put together that 20 years of throwing it in and out of storage seems to somehow have caused wear and tear!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #925619 04/10/17 09:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I cut up my comics to make toys for myself as a kid so I could develop my own adventures. The collector looks back and shudders, but I had so much fun

Thriftshop Debutante #925621 04/11/17 01:29 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I used to do that witth football stickers. I had leagues so it was more "real". Dollies action figures for my comic adventures though.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,319
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Disdemona
Disdemona
Fort McMurray, AB
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star