Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 03/27/24 07:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi
#921056 01/23/17 01:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
So it's got a name, now. Presumably a teaser trailer won't be terribly far behind. The name is eliciting a fearful response to those who fear for Luke's fate. Others point out that "Jedi" is both singular and plural, though I suspect that is not what the title means. Of course, Luke is technically the last Jedi as Rey is a neophyte at best, so the title doesn't have to spell doom and gloom.

And then there's the mystery of how Carrie Fisher's death will be handled in this and Episode IX. Rumors, they have been a'swirlin', ya know?

So feel free to speculate here in the 11 months until this thread discusses the actual released movie. I'm sure as more news comes, we can have new life to this topic in cycles.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Re: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi
Lard Lad #921062 01/23/17 04:24 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Hopefully it's not a sci fi remake of The Last Samurai! wink

My initial reaction to the name is much more positive than to either "The Force Awakens" or "Rogue One", so I'm pretty happy with it.

Lard Lad #921066 01/24/17 12:55 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
I have to confess, Lardy, I've been pretty much "out of the loop" on all behind-the-scenes things RE: the Star Wars franchise. Even though I found more to like than dislike about The Force Awakens at the time, I've become increasingly bitter about how Star Wars fan turned successful actress Gwendoline Christie basically got...I don't really want to say betrayed, but the coffee's just kicking in ATM and I can't think of a better word...with the way she got to have a dream come true when she was cast as Captain Phasma in SW:TFA, only to end up having most of her scenes on the cutting room floor, and her character go from total bad-ass to humiliated weakling within the span of the little on-screen time she ended up with. I take a small amount of comfort in knowing that Phasma has nevertheless become a cult favorite within the Star Wars cult, among both female and male fans. So maybe she'll end up shining yet in one of both of the next installments. And, to be quite frank, that's one of the few reasons I'll be paying to see them in the theaters -- with drastically lowered expectations overall, I might add.

I do also have to say that the late Carrie Fisher's performance in ST:TFA as a weary but still going strong Leia was one of the my very favorite things about that movie, and I hope that at least in the aftermath of Fisher leaving us far too soon, her performance will gain more appreciation in hindsight. In fact, I'll go bump the ST:TFA thread right now, because I felt I expressed my feelings about Leia's portrayal better at that moment than I could now.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Lard Lad #921071 01/24/17 02:05 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I suspect that just like Kylo isn't Sith, Rey won't be a Jedi but something new and different (hence the title - Luke is the last of the line).

Lard Lad #921088 01/24/17 01:27 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
I read that each colour of lightsaber was going to represent a particular emotion/ force based set of powers and that this was going to lead to Jedi splinter groups, hence the title.

Oh sorry, I was picking up a newsfeed from Earth 1 million*, where Geoff Johns did the screenplay and the comics were done by DC.

*Also the number of collectable dollies available, after market saturation. So, not so different after all... smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #921090 01/24/17 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by thoth lad
I read that each colour of lightsaber was going to represent a particular emotion/ force based set of powers and that this was going to lead to Jedi splinter groups, hence the title.

Oh sorry, I was picking up a newsfeed from Earth 1 million*, where Geoff Johns did the screenplay and the comics were done by DC.

*Also the number of collectable dollies available, after market saturation. So, not so different after all... smile

rotflmao

Lard Lad #921218 01/27/17 02:30 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I thing the biggest surprise for me about TFA was how much I enjoyed the characters of Rey, Finn and Poe. The biggest draw going in, clearly, for me was seeing Han, Luke and Leia again, but I was really taken with the new leads. As much as I'm curious to see what roles Luke and Leia (the latter more so after Fisher's untimely death) have to play, it's the fresh younger characters whose upcoming story development intrigues me the most. There was so much chemistry there, which is really why the original trilogy was so successful, imo. Still wondering if Finn is or isn't force sensitive, for example.

So, even with some of the lack of originality in the plot, Disney clearly did it's job with me if the characters grab me like that!

Is it December yet? frown

Lard Lad #921224 01/27/17 04:04 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah, even though R1 was a better movie overall than TFA, I think the latter did a far better job in terms of characterizations, which is a good thing since we're going to be watching these folks through two more movies.

Lard Lad #926344 04/19/17 07:07 AM
Trailer 1:

Lard Lad #926352 04/19/17 08:46 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I thought the trailer was pretty blah and generic, up until that last line, which is kind of awesome.

Lard Lad #926358 04/19/17 09:20 AM
RE: The trailer, I pretty much concur with you all around, EDE.

I'd only add that "Breathe...just breathe" reminds me of that quel frommage power-ballad earworm by Faith Hill. Ah, the early 2000s, such a musical wasteland that even the likes of the Killers sounded good to me at the time.

Lard Lad #926410 04/19/17 02:24 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I agree, the trailer didn't give me much to be excited about. No idea what the plot of this movie will be.

That last line, though...

Lard Lad #926413 04/19/17 03:37 PM
Upon reflection, that line has a very meta quality to it.

As in "out with the old, in with the new...whatever the new turns out to be."

Lard Lad #941798 12/16/17 04:10 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
So, I saw it this afternoon.

My overall reaction is pretty positive, though there were a few things I wasn't too big on.

If the big problem with The Force Awakens is that it felt like they were trying too hard to throw every Star Wars cliche into the blender, the biggest problem I had with this one was that it felt like they were trying too hard to self-consciously subvert certain Star Wars cliches, which got a bit annoying after awhile.

And Finn's whole storyline seemed kind of pointless in terms of the overall plot (the very final scene which depended on it was very nice, however).

That said, Luke and Leia both had some really amazing moments. I don't know how in the world they're going to do the next movie without Carrie Fisher, though.

I hope Billie Lourde gets an even more expanded role in the next movie.

Lard Lad #941800 12/16/17 04:15 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks, EDE. I feel a bit more optimistic now.

Unexpected developments in Real Life kept me out of the theatre today, but tomorrow, by hook or by crook...

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Lard Lad #941805 12/16/17 06:38 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I know there's definitely one thing that's going to massively disappoint you, Fickles.

Despite the hype about Captain Phasma getting a much expanded role in this one, she's still woefully underutilized.

Lard Lad #941806 12/16/17 07:31 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I just got back from seeing it and am still processing it. But there are two things that have me up on Cloud City: 1) Mark Hamill was simply amazing in this movie. He finally got to showcase his real talent and give Luke some real depth. Yes, he was wonderful in his own way in the original trilogy, but here the depth of his talent really shows. 2) The moment that Luke and Leia share. He says something to her that on a meta level made me tear up. It was beautiful and works even better than the lovely moment in the credits.

Lard Lad #941808 12/16/17 08:00 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^Agree completely. This is Mark Hamill's finest performance ever.

I was reading somewhere that Carrie Fisher had said after filming was done that the first movie in the trilogy was Han-centric, the second was Luke-centric, and the third would be Leia-centric, which seems to make a lot of sense but makes her untimely death all that more tragic.

Lard Lad #941809 12/16/17 08:14 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
At least she had a number of good scenes in this one, despite certain circumstances that took her out of action during its course. Clearly, Episode IX would have featured her having meaningful interaction with Kylo, just as Han and Luke had with him in successive movies. Obviously, there was a real life tragedy no one could have anticipated, so that's a part of this trilogy we'll never see come to fruition. Better that than a ghoulish CGI Leia, I'd say.

Eryk Davis Ester #941810 12/16/17 08:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
If the big problem with The Force Awakens is that it felt like they were trying too hard to throw every Star Wars cliche into the blender, the biggest problem I had with this one was that it felt like they were trying too hard to self-consciously subvert certain Star Wars cliches, which got a bit annoying after awhile.

Now that I've thought about it, you're absolutely right. Expectations were definitely set on their ear in a number of instances. When you expect a big revelation or a certain set-up for IX's endgame to mirror what we saw in ESB and RotJ, you get a kind of "nyah-nyah!" in several instances.When you think of all the fan speculalion about certain of these points, it's hard not to be disappointed.

Originally Posted by EDE
I hope Billie Lourde gets an even more expanded role in the next movie.

Me, too! It was good seeing her a lot more this time!

Lard Lad #941812 12/17/17 02:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I saw it yesterday and am still processing my thoughts about it.

What’s weird is that I really enjoyed it while I was watching it (minor quibbles here and there aside) but when I think about it in retrospect, the shine totally starts to wear off. I’m now sort of at the stage where I’m desperately trying to remind myself that I did actually enjoy it in the face of all the plot developments and writing choices that I wish had gone differently - number one among them: everything to do with Luke (ESPECIALLY the end)!

I agree with those of you who’ve said that this was some of Mark Hamill’s best work, but I think the story did a total disservice to his iconic character. Now I totally believe the reports that he allegedly fought with Rian Johnson regarding the direction he wanted to take him.

I thought the Finn and Poe characters were very poorly served by this story too. I’ll go into more detail why in another post but for now I’ll just say that Poe is just a totally inconsequential character in this saga and they really should have just stuck to their original plan of killing him off at the beginning of “The Force Awakens”.

The highlight of the movie to me was the Rey/Ren dynamic. Both of those actors are on another level to the rest of the cast in my opinion, and their scenes together were electric. I think I inwardly groaned every time we cut away from them to the season 1 of “Battlestar Galactica” Poe/Leia subplot or the “The Phantom Menace” hijinks of the Finn/Rose subplot.

The movie was at least very visually beautiful.

Eryk Davis Ester #941815 12/17/17 07:21 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I know there's definitely one thing that's going to massively disappoint you, Fickles.

Despite the hype about Captain Phasma getting a much expanded role in this one, she's still woefully underutilized.

Thanks for the warning, EDE. Truth be told, I'd stopped holding my breath a while ago. However...

...I am convinced that, like the original trilogy's unexpected breakout star, Boba Fett, Captain Phasma has a bright future ahead in the SW comics.

Blacula #941821 12/17/17 09:13 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^I think that's a good comparison.

Originally Posted by Blacula

What’s weird is that I really enjoyed it while I was watching it (minor quibbles here and there aside) but when I think about it in retrospect, the shine totally starts to wear off.

I've had that experience with all three Disney Star Wars movies. It's definitely disconcerting.

Eryk Davis Ester #941832 12/17/17 07:55 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
^^I think that's a good comparison.

Thank you. smile

As for what I think of the movie...I've had More Unexpected Developments in Real Life, and still haven't made it to the theatre. sigh

Lard Lad #941847 12/18/17 06:26 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I initially thought it wasn't as bad as Force Awakens (faint praise indeed), but like others have said, upon reflection my opinion of it diminishes by the hour. The plot holes were so jarring as to take me out of it (The First Order has a hyperdrive equipped FLEET!) and the movie was far, far too long. I get what they were trying to do with the Finn/Rose segment of the film, but it was superfluous and the two beats that they needed to come out of it could have been done in another way and not waste huge amounts of film time. Oscar Issacs character had the best arc until plot silliness short-circuited it (why on Earth did the Vice-Admiral need to keep her plan a secret? Who was going to leak it?). Between the Porgs and other creatures as well as the slight redesigns of everything, the merchandising angle bugged me even by Star Wars/Disney standards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,269
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star