Roll Call
2 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Lard Lad, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 11 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:37 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:37 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:36 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/22/24 02:40 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 16 April 24
by razsolo - 04/21/24 04:25 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 75 of 80 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 79 80
Re: The All Avengers Thread
Fanfic Lady #902637 07/12/16 10:17 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
I've started a new blog at an Avengers-related website. Here's my first entry:

http://avengersinternational.weebly.com/red-sersis-blog

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #911524 09/30/16 01:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Question 1: Is anyone on here reading Civil War II?

Question 2: Does anyone actually care about it?

Sarcasm Kid #911525 09/30/16 02:05 PM
E
Substitute
Substitute
E
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid

1 yes 2 no

Sarcasm Kid #911528 09/30/16 02:19 PM
OP Offline

Answer 1: I hated the first one, why would I read the second?

Answer 2: In a word, no.

Fanfic Lady #911532 09/30/16 02:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I haven't been reading it per say, but I'm liking Carol Danvers less and less with the way she's acting. I know it's bad writing, but I'm starting to get a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about her.

I wonder if this is how people felt about Tony Stark during the first one.

Sarcasm Kid #911533 09/30/16 02:53 PM
OP Offline
I haven't been reading it per say, but I'm liking Carol Danvers less and less with the way she's acting. I know it's bad writing, but I'm starting to get a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about her.

I wonder if this is how people felt about Tony Stark during the first one.

Quite likely.

I've never warmed to Carol, TBH. Unfortunately, I think she'll be forever tainted by Shooter, Michelinie, et al, deliberately undermining everything she was supposed to represent (though it's arguable she was a poorly developed character even before she joined the Avengers.) When Kurt Busiek tried to "fix" everything that had gone wrong with Carol during The Never-Ending Kang Story, he just made everything worse IMHO. Given how much I like certain arcs and done-in-ones of Astro City, I'd like to give Busiek the benefit of the doubt that perhaps the artists misunderstood his scripts (that storyline seemed to change artists every other issue), and editorial might have interfered as well. But either way, I still think Carol came off even worse than she had before. And her default characterization from 2004 to the present, with that uptight, duty-over-all attitude, has pretty much been the final nail in the coffin. A pity.

Fanfic Lady #912571 10/09/16 08:41 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've been burned enough times by these events. I'll wait for the dust to settle and see what Avengers titles come out of it.

Fanfic Lady #912584 10/09/16 09:23 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
As we've been talking about the Vision in LW, I did check out Marvel's current books. They all seemed to have changed titles again, and relaunched with number #1 since I last looked. I get the feeling it's not the first time. With scorecards of characters and regular relaunches, it would take something special for me to pick the book up.

I was temped when Hickman was writing it. But that's going in knowing that it's more for the concepts than any chance of strong characterisation/ empathy.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #912600 10/09/16 11:25 AM
OP Offline
Did somebody say Hickman?

[Linked Image]

Fanfic Lady #912662 10/10/16 07:08 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Was he really as bad as Avengers Disassembled? wink

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #912663 10/10/16 07:15 AM
OP Offline
Yep, I firmly believe that he was as bad, if not even worse than, Disassembled.

Crazy Jen is now my official stand-in for the rage I feel whenever I see the name Hickm...GRRRRRR....whoa! Calmed myself down. Whew.

And, FTR, even though I didn't like Disassembled, that image quite simply was the perfect fit my emotional state at that moment. Just like when DC flaunted that red herring about Hick...RRRRR...uh...that is...what's-his-name writing the Legion, I could only respond by posting a video of Cracker's "I Hate My Generation" in the Anywhere Machine (Hic...you know who...and I were born the same year.) I don't like that song, either (it parodies grunge a little too accurately), but it expressed how I felt right then and there.

Actually, I'd originally wanted an extreme close-up of Crazy Jen, but my computer couldn't handle its source page.

Fanfic Lady #914372 10/28/16 01:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey guys so with everyone up in arms about how Chelsea Cain was harassed and sent death threats because of Mockingbird's shirt on the cover of her final issue, no one noticed how she retconned Mockingbird from being a rape victim to someone who cheated on her husband and tried to kill the guy she slept with.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/19/removing-the-rape-out-of-mockingbirds-past/

Fanfic Lady #923730 03/17/17 07:34 PM
OP Offline
Before sunset this evening, I re-read -- for the first time in at least 2 years -- Avengers v.1 #105, Steve Englehart's first issue, with the guest artist team of John Buscema & Jim Mooney. It's just such a tonic to me, the way that, right from the start, Englehart was already laying the groundwork for Wanda's awesome coming-alive scenes in "The Avengers-Defenders War" and "The Celestial Madonna Saga." And even though Big John always seemed to give more care & effort to drawing Janet than Wanda, she looks really good this particular issue, and I suspect it may have a lot to do with Mooney doing, at the very least, inks, and possibly even full finishes. The two artists had already worked together on Amazing Spider-Man for a short while, and they'd be reunited on a few Bronze Age issues of Thor, but while all that work is never less than decent, Avengers #105 always takes first place in my estimation.

Fanfic Lady #924256 03/26/17 08:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What can you guys tell me about Magdalene from the 90s Avengers?

Fanfic Lady #924257 03/26/17 09:12 PM
E
Substitute
Substitute
E
Here you go.
[Linked Image]

Fanfic Lady #925397 04/07/17 02:18 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Before sunset this evening, I re-read -- for the first time in at least 2 years -- Avengers v.1 #105, Steve Englehart's first issue, with the guest artist team of John Buscema & Jim Mooney. It's just such a tonic to me, the way that, right from the start, Englehart was already laying the groundwork for Wanda's awesome coming-alive scenes in "The Avengers-Defenders War" and "The Celestial Madonna Saga." And even though Big John always seemed to give more care & effort to drawing Janet than Wanda, she looks really good this particular issue, and I suspect it may have a lot to do with Mooney doing, at the very least, inks, and possibly even full finishes. The two artists had already worked together on Amazing Spider-Man for a short while, and they'd be reunited on a few Bronze Age issues of Thor, but while all that work is never less than decent, Avengers #105 always takes first place in my estimation.

It doesn't get any better than this. I love Buscema inked by Mooney and there's just something about Steve's writing that makes it all feel so fantastic.

On the opposite side of things, I breezed through the latest issue of Avengers and it was akin to being motion sick on a smelly airplane.

Cobalt Kid #925417 04/07/17 07:09 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
On the opposite side of things, I breezed through the latest issue of Avengers and it was akin to being motion sick on a smelly airplane.

Ah, Mark Waid...

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Fanfic Lady #926441 04/19/17 09:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So... apparently, Marvel is now implying that Nazi Captain America has always been the REAL Steve Rogers and that, in their comics, Hitler was supposed to win World War II before the Allies used the Cosmic Cube to rewrite reality.

I, I have no idea what I just typed, but you can read it in Secret Empire.

Fanfic Lady #926450 04/20/17 01:33 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Sounds like the Legion plot where Mordru wouldd have won had it not been for the Time Trapper creating the Legion. Just much more likely to offend.

Fanfic Lady #943156 01/18/18 12:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm reading the current Marvel big event, Avengers No Surrender.

I like big team books, and the art is fantastic, very emotional and gestural and dramatic, yet the coloring is a bit dim.

The storie's about the Earth being stolen and most heroes are in a paralytic state. A new "original" Avenger returns by the name of Voyager who has some time field powers. I think of it more as a time travel story than a retcon.

Voyager's identity is speculated to be
Valeria Richards time traveling to the past to help create the Avengers. Also this brings the FF back potentially and somewhat follows the Secret Wars event. Speculation that the multiverse may return ... I didn't know it was gone ... there's Spider Gwen still ...
but Voyager could also be the historic character Sun Girl whose costume it looks like she borrowed. But likely not after issue two.

So its an ok time travel shenanigans story with lots of action ... the Black Order appears in issue 2. I think they spend too much time trying to explain how Voyager was an original member and pivotal to all these key moments in Avengers life
like when they fought the Squadron Sinister yet there are some odd weak bits like Voyager is fighting a villain unrelated to the Squadron Sinister during the same battle (?)

Also I find Voyagers look pretty bland. Very similar to Sun Girl's costume but less cool decades later. If this is going to be a lasting retcon there are tons of characters I would like to see in her stead. so far at least.

Plus I kind of liked that Valeria was the super smart one of the FF's kids and didn't develop time space powers. Or I think it'd be cooler if she had smaller specific powers that she had to use cleverly

So I'm going to finish it as long as the art stays good. There is a huge cast that looks great and the return of one of my favourites LIVING LIGHTNING! (now just Lightning which I'm not sure is better or worse)

Fanfic Lady #943159 01/18/18 01:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Did no one but me catch that villain she fought was the Squadron Sinister's version of Triumph from DC?

Fanfic Lady #943172 01/18/18 10:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I did not catch that.

so ... this

Triumph's origin and the stand in Victory's origin is "Via a retcon in a three-part story running through Justice League America #92, Justice League Task Force #16, and Justice League International (vol. 2) #68, he was revealed to have been a founding member of the Justice League, serving as their leader. On his first mission with the fledgling Justice League, Triumph seemingly "saved the world", but was teleported into a dimensional limbo that also affected the timestream, resulting in no one having any memory of him and his original peers now being veterans." really similar to Voyager's origin.

Last edited by Power Boy; 01/18/18 10:08 PM.
Fanfic Lady #943193 01/19/18 02:07 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
So far, I think "No Surrender" has been...a decent read. My expectations were less than modest, and they've been slightly exceeded by the opening installments.

I should be bothered that Waid's re-hashing one of his lesser DC stories from the 90s, but, most of the time, I can't be arsed to care about that stuff anymore.

To reiterate, I think it's palatable. I haven't felt that way about any Avengers storyline since...um...I want to say Coipel/Bendis "Siege," although the "AvX" tie-ins drawn by Walt Simonson were, at the very least, fun to look at.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Fanfic Lady #943194 01/19/18 02:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I really do think that move was kind of ingenious.

Fanfic Lady #943245 01/20/18 04:29 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I respect your opinion, Sarky.

Certainly, I think it's something that no readers could have seen coming, especially not the Marvel fans who know little or nothing about the DCU.

I suppose I'm just a bit tired of all the self-referential stuff that got out of hand right around the time that Morrison's JLA was topping the charts every month.

That was much too long ago.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Page 75 of 80 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,900
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
avengers, wonderpoop
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ger
Ger
Dallas, TX
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star