Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/29/24 03:38 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reboot's Random wRiting
#892219 03/24/16 02:31 PM
Reboot Online Shocked OP
#deleteFacebook
OP Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Been attending a creative writing group for the past few weeks, and have done three pieces as "homework" so far. A couple have ended up being 21CL (No, I haven't forgotten about it!) in pseudo-disguise [one is redundant with what's actually been posted, but the other I need to redraft slightly to remove the "pseudo-disguise" part :)]. Anyway, I'll post any others I finish in this thread.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Re: Reboot's Random wRiting
Reboot #892220 03/24/16 02:33 PM
Reboot Online Shocked OP
#deleteFacebook
OP Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Okay, this short piece wasn't actually written for anything in particular, but on posting it here I have an odd desire to entitle it "An Average Day for a Civilian in the DCU wink

"Ow." As I'd shoved my luggage into the train's overhead compartment, I'd caught my hand on something sharp. Pulling it down to have a look, there was a slightly-bleeding scratch running the length of the back of my hand. Annoying, but not fatal.

I slumped into the seat, almost absently licking the cut, tasting the coppery fluid in the process. When I realised what I was doing, I stopped and pulled out my new, black leather wallet to look at the picture of my parents. My redheaded mum towered over my balding "tiny little dad" in the photo, which seemed to make people smile. I was kind of sorry I wouldn't be seeing them for a while, but like they said, a kid had to branch out eventually, and this job offer was too good to miss. My ticket was there too, going all the way to Paris via the Tunnel, from where I'd need to change. Still, long time before I'd reach that point, I thought, the city still surrounded the train as I settled back to read the Guardian.

Half an hour or so later, the ticket inspector came through the carriage, and I had to take out my battered old brown wallet again to show him that everything was in order. I had an odd feeling as I did so that something was amiss, but I put it down to just nerves.

At the next town, a bunch of people got on the train carriage and my Times was almost bumped out of my hand as they shuffled down the corridor. I didn't say anything, partly because I was nearly done with the paper by this point, but I wished people would pay attention.

I left the paper on the table and sat back for a minute. This was a big opportunity in London, and I couldn't afford to blow it. Maybe I should start looking back over some of my notes…

A couple of hours later, and the countryside outside the window was looking almost painfully bright in the sun. I'd spent nights in the orphanage as a kid dreaming of this sort of chance, I thought, and then I stopped. Something else else seemed really, really wrong with that train of thought and I couldn't place what it was. I pulled out my fabric wallet and looked through it, as if there would be some clue as to the wrongness, but nope. But while I didn't see what there could be, my brain was screaming that I was missing something.

I was so distracted by this feeling of wrongness, I almost didn't notice the ticket inspector trying to catch my attention. Once I did, I just snapped "Yes?"

"I'm sorry sir, but this carriage is for human passengers only. Robot-class is two doors that way."

"What are you talking about? I'm human, I even cut my hand this morning, look!" I showed the back of my hand to the idiot, who just coughed.

I looked at the back of my hand. There was a scratch there all right, but it was clean through the dermis, showing circuitry beneath.

No...no...this was wrong, I wasn't a robot, I was a human! I may even have screamed this aloud.

And then I felt myself being switched off, and I knew no more.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reboot #892228 03/24/16 03:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Nice! Certainly not the twist I was expecting, I thought there'd be mind control or telepathic hallucinations. Very nice.

Invisible Brainiac #892235 03/24/16 03:48 PM
Reboot Online Shocked OP
#deleteFacebook
OP Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Nice! Certainly not the twist I was expecting, I thought there'd be mind control or telepathic hallucinations. Very nice.

The twist isn't that he's a robot, note:
Reality's rewriting around him. Hence the "An Average Day for a Civilian in the DCU" thing! He starts off not-a-robot, and ends up a robot.

Reboot #892237 03/24/16 04:00 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Hence the wallet, and the parents, and the newspaper, right?

Nice clues cleverly sprinkled in.

Reboot #917112 11/27/16 04:11 PM
Reboot Online Shocked OP
#deleteFacebook
OP Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Just a short, random piece based on a dream I had. The twist was originally going to be much more complicated (think Ariel's deal from Disney's The Little Mermaid amongst other things), but I simplified it to try and keep it brief (which changed things a lot)

As she stopped to catch her breath, she looked back. The scene behind her was not the scene of ten seconds before. That had been grey walls and fluorescent lighting, this was a near-bare tree greening slightly with the first leaves of spring standing on the edge of a picturesque square of grass, encircled by old buildings which included the old clocktower, half covered in ivy.

It had worked.

Her next look was to her wrist, where the device thrummed softly. It looked like little as much as a wristwatch, albeit rather bulky for a woman with its thick metal band. The clock face on it was counting down, telling her she had 59½ minutes to fix…

“Karen!”

Jessica's arms surrounded her in that tackle-hug she remembered so well. Fighting down the tears, Karen tried to get into character. “You're early.”

“Nope. Bang on time. Just because you're always late for everything doesn't mean that the one time you make it when you're supposed to is 'early.'” Jessica smiled, then frowned. “You look awful.”

“Just a bad--” five years “--night's sleep.”

“Sure.” Jessica adjusted her face. Trying not to pry too hard. “Anyway, we have to meet the guys at the corner of King Street Coffee2Go, so...”

“We've got time. Let's go down the river walk. It'll be nicer.”

Jessica pouted. “I'm not going to be late just 'cause you like to be. Come on.”

Karen sighed and let herself be dragged along. What did it matter? Jessica wasn't going to spend the time waiting for her while she...dallied with Gordon, pretending to be something she wasn't. It wasn't going to happen.

As they walked along, she found it surprising how easy it was to just… be the Karen she had been. Old gossip, old ways of speaking just came naturally to her. As if she'd never left it behind, just put it to one side. As she picked out the sign of the coffee ship , she glanced at her 'watch'. Plenty of time. It was going to be fine.

A horn blasted.

Four other faces looked forward to the sound of the horn, but Karen looked back, toward that ivy-covered clocktower she'd seen but not looked at. Her eyes widened in realisation. No, Jessica hadn't been early.

As the lorry barrelled toward them, driver screaming that her brakes had failed, everything suddenly clicked for Karen. Five bodies. One had never been identified. She hadn't cared, only one had mattered. She almost wanted to laugh. All this work bending time to be defeated by arriving a few minutes late.

Nowhere to run, nothing to do, except the one thing she'd never done, the one thing she had to do.

“I love y--”

Reboot #917130 11/27/16 09:34 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Wow. Amazing piece. Be careful playing with time... Ah, if only.

Reboot #917132 11/27/16 11:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This must have come from one of those dreams where you wake up just before the crucial moment. Aagghh! Trying to change history. At least she got part of her message out, so her efforts weren't entirely in vain. Very thought-provoking short story.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Reboot #917321 11/30/16 08:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Fantastic short story, I didn't expect the ending at all Reboot, very poignant . Looking forward to whatever else you have to share with us.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Reboot #921588 02/03/17 01:44 PM
Reboot Online Shocked OP
#deleteFacebook
OP Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Just a short, random piece. I needed something involving a character I had to invent on-the-spot and a "secret". My brain sparked, so when I actually came to write it, I just ran with the inspiration smile

It was late in the day when Ailya arrived at the hotel, to the point she was afraid she wouldn't be able to check-in. Fortunately, all it cost her was a mild chiding from the girl at reception. Declining offers to take her swollen rucksack, she made it through the white-painted door of the modest room with a sigh, and put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door.

Then she looked for CCTV cameras. Probably not in a bedroom, she reflected, but you never know...

Sufficiently reassured, she doffed the rucksack instantly. It fell to the floor like it was stuffed with feathers, yet after a moment sat deeply in the coffee-stained rug. As her coat swiftly followed, she revealed a belt with large, stuffed pouches on each hip.

She looked around again, even checking the en suite this time, as if terrified to remove the belt where anyone might see. After all, she was.

Reluctantly, and with infinite patience, the belt followed the bag to the rug. As soon as it was out of her hands, Ailya left the rug with a sigh of relief, floating like a balloon filled with helium. She wished she didn't have to keep this a secret. She could make anything light as gossamer. And when she wasn't focused on anything else, this meant herself.

If she wasn't careful, she could literally blow away on the wind.

At home, her belt was filled with lead shot, but taking that on a plane was impossible, so she'd "merely" filled it with rocks right now.

What if she just... let it happen, she wondered? She'd heard the UK wasn't as horrible to 'freaks' like herself as Kansas. Thinking back to earlier, when a thief had run out of a shop, chased by their security guard. She'd made his foot light and tripped him up without a second thought. Would the guard really have condemned her? Instead, she'd panicked and almost bolted from the scene as soon as she realised what she'd done.

Shaking her head, she tried to put it to the back of her mind, taking out her tablet and connecting it to the hotel's Wi-Fi to field messages from her folks in Winthorp, including her twin brother Gary; then went for a shower and prepared to get ready for bed.

It would be nice, she thought as she pulled out the sleeping bag and bungee cords, to just go to bed like a normal person…

Reboot #926531 04/20/17 11:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Your brain "sparked". Heh wink

Nice bit, exploring how powers would affect someone who needs to keep them a secret. Even the subtle ones, and those that don't cause physical mutations, can be quite a pain to deal with in everyday life.

Superman & Powerwoman
Reboot #978991 11/23/19 12:42 AM
Reboot Online Shocked OP
#deleteFacebook
OP Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Okay, this is, frankly, rough. I wrote this based on a challenge from a friend, and it is very far indeed from a perfect piece of writing, even on a technical level. But WTH, I might as well post it smile

The story starts with a small ship, racing away from a doomed planet. As it flies, radioactive debris from the destruction clusters around it, cocooning it - but this was foreseen, and the ship is well-shielded to protect its two small occupants, held in suspended animation.

For far, far longer than a human lifespan, the cocooned ship flies uncontrolled through space - passengers unaging, held in a state nearer death than sleep - until finally it drifts into the Sol system. There, as it passes Jupiter, triumph and disaster strike simultaneously - the tides of gravity mean the glowing green cocoon is ripped from the ship, finally waking the navigational systems from protective hibernation. But also, the two parts of the ship are torn apart. They were designed to operate independently, but not to be separated like this - damaged, they drift onto different paths. They shall not land as one.

One part is less damaged than the other, its self-repairs concluded within a human year. It fails to reconnect with its sister ship, but detects a possible M-Class planet in the star system. It is less than five years before it lands on Earth, on a farm near Smallville, Kansas, USA. Shortly afterward, an unseasonal snowstorm closes the farm where it landed off for some time, and when it lifts, the farm owners announce they have had a baby boy. A few think this unannounced pregancy to be odd, but in general nothing particularly exceptional is thought of it, and the ship is kept secret in the farmers' barn.
_______

Eighteen years later, the boy has become a man in the eyes of the law, and Clark Kent goes to Metropolis University. A year later, he is shocked when a flying woman appears in New York City, saving children from a crashing car... but Powerwoman doesn't shock him for the same reason as everyone else.

They're shocked a person can fly.

He's shocked that *someone else* can.

The Kents always warned him to keep what he could do a secret. Help people, yes, and many people have had reason to thank a mysterious blur or a convienient flash of red. But no flights, nothing to call attention to himself.

Of course, he sees some of why soon enough. Powerwoman becomes a spectacle - and to some, an object of ridicule. In one of the few interviews she gives, she claims the hole on the chest of her white costume is a symbol of how she's loyal to nothing except justice...but he hears so many lewd comments about it, and that's the least of what the news media has to say.

He wants to ask so many things, but soon enough, he feels like he's missed his chance to talk to her. She doesn't stop helping, but she stops talking, refusing to engage. The polite media call her "unapproachable". The rest call her a bitch.

Thoughts swirling through his head, he makes decisions based on her experience. Of course, he has the head start of being a man in what's still a "man's world", and he has no illusions about that. But he wonders how many others are out there, together with the realisation that with Powerwoman's travails as their only example, they could be driven further into hiding, rather than helping.

His first decision is to change his major to journalism. His second is to start wearing a pair of glasses. "Controlling the narrative" was something he'd always associated with people doing the *wrong* things, but it's now becoming increasingly clear to him that you needed to do it for the *right* reasons too.
_______

He's in someone's arms.

The realisation is odd, but he's struggling to think why. He can't open his eyes... his head's... foggy? Something else's... can't Δº his º⍜▵o¬...? What's Øꝍ on...?

Whoever's holding him notices his squirming, starts shushing him gently. He's too unclear to do much else, and settles down to whatever they have planned.

Getting wherever they're going, they place him into some sort of chair, and switch something on. It buzzes lightly, and gradually his head clears.

"Come on Kal. Cute as the trip down memory lane was, it's time to wake up."

Groggily, he forces his eyes open. He needs to blink several times to focus on the figure, given the number of lights pointed directly at his head, but he zooms in eventually. As soon as he does, he recognises Powerwoman, but a second name for her sits at the tip of his tongue for a moment before it resolves. "Kara?"

"About time!" For a moment, she looks as though she's going to slap him, but then settles for striking a pose instead. "I was beginning to wonder if you hit a different planet!"

"Planet?"

She sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose. "...is this because that circus act scrambled your brain, or are you really as ignorant as you seem? When I heard you shout 'øØô·Δ',...". Another sigh. A beat. "Tell you what, if you promise not to break anything, I'm going to head out for a few minutes t-- and let you clear your head. Promise?"

Clark nods back. Slightly gormlessly, in all honesty.

As Powerwoman - Kara? - turns to go, she pauses for a moment and adds that he can turn off the sun lamps if he wants, she just finds them relaxing. And then she's gone.

He slumps back in the chair and closes his eyes against the light. She's right about the lamps, he thinks - the glow on his skin buzzes pleasantly - but only if he keeps his eyes shut. His head is clearing enough to think somewhat after Fine's assault, but still feels slow and hard to focus.

As he tries to relax, his mind drifts idly back through the previous year. His graduation from university, being taken on as an intern at the Planet Media Group's once-jewel, the Daily Planet. Finding himself almost immediately writing stories in the understaffed newsroom. And how his long-planned debut, following in Powerwoman's footsteps, was almost unravelled when one of his fellow interns managed to scoop his own story.

Fortunately, the resulting story was... all right. She'd dubbed him "Superman", partly after the S-like symbol on his chest which had been on his ship, partly because it was adjacent enough to "Powerwoman" to fit. He hadn't modelled his costume after hers much, in style or symbol, partly because he didn't want to step on her figurative toes... but mostly because if he had, he would have been taking on her PR problems in full.

And now, less than a month later, his first meeting with her consisted of her rushing in to rescue him from some, as she put it, "circus act" after the guy melted his brain enough that he started thinking in tongues. And apparently speaking them.

Levering himself out the chair, he tries to clear his head by futily shaking it some more. Who was she? Why did the name "Kara" come to mind when he saw her, and why did she call him "Kal"? And "planet" - meaning not the PMG, but an actual world?

Summoning, with more effort than it should take, his pass-through vision, he looks around. Some sort of bunker, well below the surface. No obvious recent activity beyond the room he's in and the nearest way out, but enough facilities - including beds - that it was clearly designed to be lived in, and may have been at some point. Before he can scan the whole place though, the effort becomes too much, and he falls back into the chair, his head spinning.

He's still there when Powerwoman returns - even if the dizziness has mostly receded, he's not so willing to push his luck a second time quite so soon.

There's an awkward moment when they look at each other. He feels he should know her, Kara, more than he does. There's something... familiar, comforting maybe, about her that crept in with the name "Kara", but only in the vaguest of ways.

Still, the awkwardness certainly isn't just on his side. She's standing there, clearly embarrassed if he's any judge of character at all, looking like she also has things to say and no idea how to say them. It's strange, and not from a vague feeling - he's followed her career, and she's never shown (never allowed herself to show?) anything like this in public.

Eventually, she's the first to speak, almost mumbling that she took care of Fine.

"Who are you?" With the silence broken, the words are out of his mouth almost before he realises what he's saying, but he doesn't walk them back.

She doesn't answer straight away. Instead, she turns away, clasps her hands behind her head and studies a cobweb on the ceiling. Only briefly, but with superspeed potentially involved, he doesn't know how much considering she does before she speaks - and even then not to answer, but to apologise.

"What for?"

Now, she turns to face him again, once again resolute. "My birth name is Kara-El. I was born in Arjonca, Lurvan on the planet Krypton. My parents were Zor-El and Allura-Ze. And I'm pretty certain you're my cousin, Kal-El."

He wants to deny it, say it's ridiculous. But the words trigger more half-memories - nothing solid, but thoughts of lots of crystal, and the sensation of being put down somewhere, two faces above him which aren't clear in his mind, but certainly aren't the Ma and Pa he knows.

"Can you recall anything? What about your parents' names? Your father was Jor-El, my father's brother, and your mother was..."

"Lora?"

A nod, "Lora-Van." She pauses, seeming to wait for anything else to come from him.

He wants to deny the whole thing, say it's a trick of Fine's. He wants to embrace it, remember more, hug his cousin. He actually sits there, leaning forward now, head spinning again.

She walks over to him, and places a hand on his shoulder gently. "I pushed you too hard, didn't I? I thought you were Kal when you appeared last month. When you shouted in Lurvian when Fine attacked you, I finally knew you were Kal-El. I didn't think about the fact that you were an infant when we were sent away, that you really wouldn't remember much. I just..." a pause, "I've been worried about you for years. I only went public like this because I hoped you would come and find me. I was meant to look after you,..."

Seeing her trying so hard not to cry triggered something in him. He wept. And then so did she.

Once the tears had tailed off, he had more questions, and she told him what she knew. There had been some kind of great threat to Krypton, but the rulers had argued about what to do, many even denying the seriousness of it, others admitting it needed to be dealt with, but constantly extending the timeframe to deal with it, making it tomorrow's problem. Their parents had despaired of anything happening officially, and managed to gather funding to design suspended animation ships. Then something had been spotted, and they had given up on a full-size ship and sunk everything they had - every penny, every moment of their time - into making one small pair of capsules, and a slot for them on a commercial Flamebird V rocket that could get out of Krypton's gravity well.

Kara herself had been a young teenager, and often babysat Kal while their parents worked. She didn't realise exactly what the project was until the day before, when Zor and Allura had taken her aside. She didn't remember everything they told her - it had all been too much. She had screamed, shouted and cried. Until that moment, she said, she'd fancied herself practically an adult, and that told her exactly how wrong she was. She just remembered them telling her that Krypton was about to die, that they were sending them away to try and save them, and that she should look after Kal. And pictures of some giant, dark mass that had something to do with it. There was no plan, no target. Just the hope they might survive.

The next day, after a sleepless, tearful night for both her and her parents, came being loaded into the pods. Jor and Lora had looked just as bad when they showed with baby Kal. The final goodbyes were said, the pods were sealed, and the next thing she knew, the pod was opening in a field near the bunker where they were now. Only when she pulled herself out and went to check his pod, to decide whether she needed to take him out now or could leave him until she'd found shelter, there was no other pod.

She'd panicked, of course. Going effectively straight from the farewell to finding out even Kal was gone was too much. She'd run around - no powers yet, she belatedly added. They'd not had powers on Krypton - as if his pod was probably just nearby. Eventually, she literally passed out in a ditch.

The next morning, she'd been a little bit stronger, and a little calmer. She'd searched around, less haphazardly, and happened upon the bunker they were in now. It had become her "fortress" for several years, living off the supplies she'd found there. A refuge where she could hide while her powers emerged - between searches for Kal, gradually learning the local language and the rest of what she had to know about where she'd ended up.

Ultimately, she got a US citizenship as "Karen Starr" - although she was noticeably reticent as to the "how" - and moved to NYC. There, she managed to "ride a tech boom" to a small fortune. That achieved, the Powerwoman idea came to her as a potential way of drawing Kal out - if he was alive and aware on Earth, he probably had the same powers as her. Surely he couldn't fail to notice someone with the same powers as him, and realise who it was? She hadn't, as she already admitted, considered that he was too young to have remembered her. Nor the realities of dealing with the media, such as the disastrous interview where she "explained" her costume and the hole in the front - in reality, she had just liked the design, and refused to change it just to appease some "misogynist s***ts" after it became a target of mockery. The interview had been an attempt to subvert that, and after it backfired, she just quit dealing with the media.

Nonetheless, while she'd saved a lot more cats from trees than she'd foiled major crimes, the actual experience had been oddly satisfying to her. Hence why she'd kept doing it, even with the media problems and Kal "not showing up" (said with a half-glare, half-grin).

In turn, he told her about his life growing up, in Smallville with Ma & Pa Kent and his friends there; then on to Metropolis University, where he'd seen her for the first time, and resolved to do the same thing - but only after he'd graduated and felt, as he put it, "adult enough". (He elided past "the need to learn enough to avoid her mistakes", especially since she'd already admitted to them.)

"One thing I have to ask - why wear the symbol on your chest?"

He shrugged, "I wore it because it was there. I thought it might be some family crest I should continue."

"Nothing so grand. It's Old Kryptonese, not Lurvian, but it was definitely widely known. Try looking at it again, see if you can think what it means."

"...hope?"

"Yeah, that's it's literal meaning. More specifically, it's there as a prayer, asking for hope for the hopeless. They knew the chances of us making it to somewhere habitable were tiny, so they added it from an old tradition, a plea to whatever forces were out there to give us a chance."

"And they did?"

"And they did."

Re: Superman & Powerwoman
Reboot #979018 11/24/19 03:43 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Am gonna read this as soon as I can! Have family visiting this weekend. Seems like an interesting premise though!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,308
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star