Roll Call
2 members (razsolo, razsolo, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo), 14 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:21 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by razsolo - 03/28/24 06:18 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
re-imagine a Legion Plot Line
#925685 04/12/17 08:59 AM
Omni Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Hey All,
I'm not sure if this is where this would go. But i figured withHeroes Of Other Worlds and Alternate Legionnaires in here that this might be the best place.

We all have our favorite Legion Stories but I'm sure all of us would have changed certain things about any of those stories whether it be the Cast, location, maybe even the ending. Well here's your chance. Let's re-imagine some of our favorite story lines. Some of us have done this in theBits section with our fan fictions. But what about the rest of you?

To make it easier for all of us because this post could turn into full blown fan fics for some of us, please lets try and keep post limited to

Original Cast:
Your pick for Cast:

Original synopsis:
New synopsis:

Reason for change:

But if you have given this some thought and have a detailed outline that is also welcome and if you only have one or two details you would change post that as well.

I look forward to reading your re-imagined Legion story lines!

my attempt: Storyline Legion Lost vol. 1
Original synopsis: The Legion is stranded in a new galaxy and being hunted by the Progeny as they try to find their way home for a year.

New Synopsis: The Legion is stranded in a new galaxy and being hunted by the Progeny as they try to find their way home. not knowing that they were flung farther in time than a year. The Legion arrives in the second galaxy three years after saving their galaxy and it takes them two years to get home.

Original Cast:

Live Wire
Saturn Girl
Umbra
Kid Quantum II
Chameleon
Brainaic 5
Apparition
Ultra Boy
Wildfire
Monstress
Shikari

Villain:
Element Lad = Proginator

My Cast:

Saturn Girl
Monstress
Invisible Kid
Element Lad
Wildfire
Brainiac 5
Apparition (pregnant with Cub)
Gates
Shikari
M'Onel
Kid Quantum

Villian:
Kinetix - sorceress supreme. long lived due to magic found in the second Galaxy.

Reason for changes:
my change really stems from wanting to see more of the second galaxy and to see what the world the Legion would be coming back to if there was more of a time gap.
I also changed my cast a bit because as much as i like the Legionnaires that were used I've always wondered how other characters were fair in the second galaxy or thought could have used some more development. I also made Element Lad a member of the lost crew instead of being dislodged in time. Instead i chose Kinetix to take his place as the big bad and her magic is what they have to over come and maybe she can be saved. But can she give up being a literal God?

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Re: re-imagine a Legion Plot Line
Omni #925691 04/12/17 10:05 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Omni, this is a great idea for a thread, and hopefully it'll get more people to check out the fics by you, me, and the other Bits regulars.

I'm catching up on e-mails at the moment, but I'll come back later with my first entry. I've already chosen a plot line: "Dark Circle Rising." My reason is that I'm a huge fan of Roger Stern's Marvel work (and I do think that, early on in his Postboot Legion stint, he came up with some gems, especially the Mordru 3-parter.), so I want to re-imaging DCR as something that's at least as good as Stern's "Nebula Saga" in Avengers.

Also, quick thoughts on your "Legion Lost v.1" re-imagining:

- I adore Kinetix, but I would have no problem with her going bad, as that was all-too-clearly the original plan for her. That said, I certainly appreciate that you are allowing the possibility she might be saved.

- On the roster: Glad you've retained Saturn Girl, Shikari, Wildfire, Kid Quantum, Brainiac 5, and Monstress. Lyle and Brainiac 5 stranded together could make for some engaging friction. Tinya instead of Jo is a nice inversion, and having her already pregnant could led to some very intense and poignant scenes. On the flipside, M'onel by any name has never been a favorite of mine in any of the 'boots, and Postboot Jan...well, I personally just can't put back the genie in the bottle.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Omni #925695 04/12/17 10:28 AM
Omni Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thank you Fanfic Lady!
I'm glad you think this could be as much fun as i do and who knows it just might. More readers are always a good thing.
I look forward to what you do with the "Dark Circle Rising plot as i wasn't a huge fan of it during the postboots run other than giving us a villainous in Brainiac 4.

Note on my re-imagining:
I also love Kinetix and it was pretty clear that was the original plan to make her evil, whether as an Emerald Empress or something else completely different and when that plan changed they didn't know what to do with her. So i have no problem making her evil and possibly saving her. power corrupts absolutely but if anyone can come back from the brink i think its Zoe.
I know what you mean about Jan and that particular bottle but she is the only other character that i can see besides KidQII that could go that route power wise and its also the reason i made him one of the cast a ways that got lost with the team this time. i think its time to delve into Jan's mind. Plus i think his role would be a lot of what KidQII's did and lament for their "fallen" friend.

I think Legion Lost did a great job of fleshing a lot of characters out that hadn't gotten a good treatment before (ie Monstress) and that's how my roster really works. i wanted to see people i never got enough of or real understanding of who needed some more time to shine

Shikari is my window into the second galaxy just like in issue one. so i couldn't leave her out!
That was my thought too! Apparition pregnant and in another galaxy could be really interesting and i think it would make her a stronger character. in the postboot she always seemed to be lacking in comparison to some of her other counter parts i've read over the years and i really just wanted to see her be her own person and not just an extension of ultra boy or someone else.
M"Onel was never very interesting and i thought this could explore more of his adventurous nature and allow him some growth. plus as a phantom cut off for a 1000 years i think it be interesting to see how he'd deal with being lost like this. its very different than being locked away with no agency.

Last edited by Omni; 04/12/17 10:39 AM.

Omni #925725 04/12/17 08:19 PM
Good points, Omni.

As for my first entry, I'm afraid that Dark Circle Rising proved too hard a nut to crack, but I've got a couple others in mind.

Stay tuned...

Omni #925733 04/13/17 08:28 AM
Substitute
Substitute
THE GREAT DARKNESS SAGA: RE-IMAGINED

it's the Great Darkness Saga, only it’s not every hero team that ever appeared in the thirtieth century.

It’s only the Legon of Substitute Heroes and the Legion of Super-Pets.

And every cross-continuity reject: Accordian Boy, Plaid Lad, Fruit Boy, Sludge, and all the rest.

And it’s not Darkseid and his Dark Servants. It’s Mr. Nebula, the Cosmic Decorator and his herald, The Scarlet Skier.

Because Legion on Batman ’66?

How the mighty have fallen.

Show me the monkey!
Sue Pergirl #925734 04/13/17 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Sue Pergirl

it's the Great Darkness Saga, only it’s not every hero team that ever appeared in the thirtieth century.

And every cross-continuity reject: Accordian Boy, Plaid Lad, Fruit Boy, Sludge, and all the rest.

And it’s not Darkseid and his Dark Servants. It’s Mr. Nebula, the Cosmic Decorator and his herald, The Scarlet Skier.

Thanks for saying what I felt but did not say at that moment, Sue.

Omni #925735 04/13/17 09:57 AM
CONSPIRACY re-imagined as THE WARS WITHIN THE LEGION

Original Cast:

The Conspirators: BRAINIAC 5, SATURN GIRL, MON-EL, DUO DAMSEL

The Whistle-Blowers: TELLUS, SENSOR GIRL

Special Guest Star: ROND VIDAR (Back from the dead)

Villain: TIME TRAPPER

My pick for Cast:

The Conspirators: BRAINIAC 5, SHADOW LASS, PHANTOM GIRL, BLOK

The Whistle Blower: DUO DAMSEL

The Victims: MON-EL, ULTRA BOY

Special Guest Stars: SUPERMAN (Post-Crisis), SUPERMAN (Pre-Crisis, Earth-Two), ALEXANDER LUTHOR

Villain (of sorts): TIME TRAPPER/BRAINIAC 1 (Post-Crisis)

Original synopsis: A motley crew of Legionnaires conspires to travel to the Time Trapper's lair at the end of time, and avenge Superboy by destroying the Trapper. Instead, the Trapper leaves DD with only one body and puts Mon-El into a coma.

New synopsis: Luornu, moody and morose since Superboy's death, has been trying to deal with it by going through old files on her first crush. When she discovers some anomalies, she approaches Brainy, only to stumble onto a conspiracy that spans millennia -- the Time Trapper has been Brainy's supposedly evil ancestor Vril Dox Senior all along, working to prevent the Infinite Crisis, and Superboy-Prime's rampage, from occurring. The whole Death of SB/Pocket Universe nonsense was all a sham so that Superboy-Prime could be killed before he became a danger to himself and others. Brainiac 5, his co-conspirators, and Alexander Luthor reluctantly went along with the Trapper's plans, but secretly double-crossed the Trapper by "Un-SPLORP-ing" the Earth-Two Superman, who'd opposed the plan. In a four-pronged attack on the Trapper by Superman E-1, Superman Post-CoIE, and the shanghaied Mon-El and Ultra Boy, only Superman Post-CoIE survives, and the legend is reborn anew.

Note: Rond Vidar was also part of the conspiracy. When he was killed by Universo, the conspirators' plan necessitated re-thinking.

Reason for change: I honestly think the original Conspiracy is just plain awful. Rickety plotting, character assassinations, and science so inaccurate that even I can tell it's wrong.

Omni #925829 04/14/17 12:50 PM
BLACK DAWN Re-Imagined

(Special thanks to Mike Kooiman and his Cosmic Teams site, particularly the page with the details on the Five Year Gap:)

http://cosmicteams.com/legion/legion1-original/a1-full/pre-chron7.html

Original Cast

Heroes: SUN BOY, TIMBER WOLF, WILDFIRE, KARATE KID II, Others (if any) unspecified

Villains: DR. REGULUS, STARFINGER III

Original Synopsis

Starfinger blackmails Earthgov, and maybe or maybe not hires Dr. Regulus to destroy Earth's sun. In the end, Wildfire sacrifices himself to save the sun, and the Legion is up poop-creek. They disband within a short time.

My Pick for Cast

Heroes: SUN BOY, WILDFIRE, TIMBER WOLF, POLAR BOY, NIGHTWIND, IMPULSE (KENT S), KARATE KID II (MYG), CRYSTAL KID, REFLECTO, ECHO, STAR BOY, DREAM GIRL, COLOSSAL BOY, DAWNSTAR, BLOK, ELEMENT LAD, LIGHTNING LASS, INVISIBLE KID II, TELLUS, BRAINIAC 5

Unofficial New Fatal Five: TITANIA, MANO, PERSUADER, FLARE, TYR

Villains: DOMINATORS, DR. REGULUS

New Synopsis

Threatened by the Dominators with his life, Dr. Regulus has -- for Earthgov's most top-secret division -- developed an experimental long-range particle-beam cannon, the Sun-Booster, which has the opposite effect of the Controllers' Sun-Eater -- it stimulates a sun to such an extreme that the sun goes nova. The Dominators' ultimate intention is to use it against the encroaching Khunds, but they also plan to stage a fake threat to Earth, the better to tear down the Legion. Unfortunately for any decent sentients, their plan works. And worse yet, the desperate Legionnaires recruit villains for muscle, and end up creating a new Fatal Five.

Notes:

Sun Boy, not Wildfire, is the self-sacrificing main Legionnaire casualty of the battle. Others include Timber Wolf, Invisible Kid II, Reflecto, Crystal Kid, Polar Boy, Element Lad, Flare, and Persuader.

In the aftermath, and despite objections from almost half the team,Titania is admitted into the Legion; Wildfire becomes the new team leader and moves them off Earth; Atmos, not Sun Boy, becomes Earthgov's stooge.

Reasons for Change

While I've come around to kinda sorta liking Sun Boy, it just always made more sense to me that he should be the one to sacrifice himself, especially with Regulus as one of the main villains. Besides, it's a much more dignified exit than the one Sun Boy actually had in the 5YL.

And Wildfire is, admittedly, a favorite of mine, but in addition to the above reason, he'd also never have let the Legion get completely steamrollered the way it happened in the 5YL.

As for why no Starfinger, I think, quite simply, that all three Preboot versions were lame.

Omni #926043 04/16/17 11:15 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Great idea, Omni, and I enjoyed all of these proposals. I think a lot of the stories we've been reading in the Archives re-read this year could benefit from a re-imagining.

A few comments on the above:

Legion Lost: Love the change to use Kinetix as the villain! Could she be saved? In the Robotica arc, she was overtaken by Terrorform human, then machine, evolution, yet retained her humanity until the end. The extended timeline is good; as you say, it allows more time for all those big changes back on Earth and you could put the cast through some substantial changes/growth. Phantom Girl could sure use some event to force her into maturity and Cub would be 4 years old when they returned. Good mix of power and brains in your cast. I'm wondering who, if any, would be the one to die as Lightning Lad did in the original.

Great Darkness: laugh although I'd kinda like to see the Subs and the Pets working together. Your Great Darkness Saga could have run concurrently with the original. Mr. Nebula would have been jealous that Darkseid was the one to think of changing a planet into his own image.

Conspiracy: a lot more complex than the original and Luornu gets to show her brains, as well as her emotions.

Black Dawn: Atmos makes so much more sense for Earthgov stooge! Still sad to see Sun Boy sacrificed, but it is a more noble ending than he got otherwise. New Fatal Five is interesting since they lack the brains of Tharok and the power of the Eye but could prove as deadly in that troubled and turbulent era.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Omni #926082 04/16/17 03:33 PM
Cramer, thank you so much for chiming in, and for your kind words about the entries posted by Omni, Sue, and myself.

And based on the handful of LSH issues that I've participated in the Re-Reads discussion of so far this year, I totally agree with you that a lot of the Gerry Conway/Jack Harris era stories could use a re-imagining. Hmmm...I'm a fan of Brainy, perhaps I might do the one focusing on him coming to terms with the death & destruction wrought by his madness?

Here's my latest:

"WHO IS SENSOR GIRL?" Re-Imagined

ORIGINAL CAST

Heroes: SENSOR GIRL/PROJECTRA, DREAM GIRL, COLOSSAL BOY, POLAR BOY, TELLUS, ELEMENT LAD, BRAINIAC 5, SATURN GIRL, others in smaller roles

Villains: NEW FATAL FIVE: EMERALD EMPRESS, CARESS, FLARE, MENTALLA, PERSUADER

ORIGINAL PLOT

A mysterious new applicant, Sensor Girl, joins the Legion after Saturn Girl vouches for her. She's such an enigma, that even though she appears to rebuff the Emerald Empress's offer to join her new Fatal Five, they still suspect that SG is playing them for fools. In the end, during a spectacular confrontation between a squad of Legionnaires and the Fatal Five, the Empress overpowers SG and she is revealed as Queen Projectra. The Legionnaires rally and the Five are once again defeated. In the aftermath, SG is fully accepted into the team, with the promise that her true identity shall remain the team's secret.

MY PICK FOR CAST

Heroes: BRAINIAC 5, TELLUS, SATURN GIRL, LIGHTNING LASS, SHRINKING VIOLET, BLOK, SHADOW LASS, PHANTOM GIRL, CHAMELEON BOY, INVISIBLE KID II, POLAR BOY, others in smaller roles

Special Guest Star: SUPERGIRL/The Real SENSOR GIRL

Villains: LELAND MC CAULEY IV, THE WORKFORCE: MYSTELOR/Phony SENSOR GIRL, SILVER SLASHER, MICRO LAD, MANO, TITANIA, BLACK MACE

NEW PLOT

In the hectic aftermath of both the Crisis on Infinite Earths and the attack of the Infinite Man (BAXTER #16, 18), and of Legion sponsor R.J. Brande retiring and going incognito after the team saves him from an attack by Leland McCauley's hired goons that nonetheless destroys Brande's retreat (BAXTER #17), rumors quickly spread about a masked female vigilante in Metropolis, which in turn leads to the urban legend of Sensor Girl. In the interim, McCauley has signed up a bunch of villains and is now marketing them as the Workforce, an "anti-hero" alternative to the Legion. While the team struggles to find dirt to take down McCauley and the Workforce, the Legion cross paths with Sensor Girl, who, in reacting with an attack, proves to have tremendous levels of both telepathic and telekinetic power. But this "Sensor Girl" is actually Mystelor in a blonde wig, a deliberate misdirection on their antagonists' part, as they, too, want to find Sensor Girl and have her join them. Eventually, the identical full-face masks come off, and the real SG turns out to be Supergirl, who slipped through into the future version of her home dimension during the Infinite Man incident. Though she has lost her super-strength, invulnerability, and flight powers, her five senses are sharper than ever. Brainy, needless to say, is overjoyed, but he also recognizes that SG has a lot of adjusting ahead of her.

Note: It is hinted that Mystelor, unseen since the Taurus Gang story, may have killed Quanto, or at least caused him severe harm and left him to die.

REASONS FOR CHANGE

The original is my 2nd favorite Baxter Legion story (1st is "The Universo Project"), so in addressing the question of what might have happened if Paul Levitz's original intention for SG to be Supergirl had come to full fruition, I wanted to make my version as different an animal as I could, so as not to compete with what I consider near-perfection.

Sue Pergirl #926109 04/17/17 07:24 AM
Omni Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Great idea, Omni, and I enjoyed all of these proposals. I think a lot of the stories we've been reading in the Archives re-read this year could benefit from a re-imagining.

A few comments on the above:

Legion Lost: Love the change to use Kinetix as the villain! Could she be saved? In the Robotica arc, she was overtaken by Terrorform human, then machine, evolution, yet retained her humanity until the end. The extended timeline is good; as you say, it allows more time for all those big changes back on Earth and you could put the cast through some substantial changes/growth. Phantom Girl could sure use some event to force her into maturity and Cub would be 4 years old when they returned. Good mix of power and brains in your cast. I'm wondering who, if any, would be the one to die as Lightning Lad did in the original.

Thank you Fat Cramer! i'm really glad you like the idea. part of what i'm hoping to get out of this is to learn about some more Legion stories outside the Reboot as that's the version i've read everything of. While this also give a chance to flex some creative muscles.

Kinetix did survive and retained her spirit through all of that. But what if she was exposed and affected by the magic longer much like Jan was. I liked the route DNA took Jan as it wasn't 100% out of left field with him being seperated for billions of years. it has the capability of changing ones perspective and i think Zoe might change. But i think she could be saved because its i feel like its the magic that changed her more than herself..but its a part that clearly needs to be worked out more.
If any of them died in Live Wire's place i think it might be Element Lad or Kid Q II. both have the power level that could take her on.

Fan Fic Lady i'm really enjoying a lot of your re-imaginings.

I really like the Black Dawn re-imagining the most as it does give a better end to Sun Boy than the most recent incarnation of the team and you make a great point that Regulus should be the main villain with Sun Boy's involvement. I also like the idea of creating the Sun Booster and having a new Fatal Five created from this event. sets up a lot of potential and i love when stories do that for later ones.

Originally Posted by Sue Pergirl

as silly as i know this idea can be i bet this would still be really entertaining.

Keep them coming everyone!

Omni #926117 04/17/17 10:17 AM
Omni Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Curse of the Blood Crystals: from Superboy #188 v1.
special thanks to Fan fic Lady and to Michael Kooiman and his website http://cosmicteams.com/legion/legion1-original/a1-full/intro.html for help with inspiration.

Original Cast: Superboy, Chameleon.
Villain Mordru and his Blood Crystals.

Your pick for Cast: Superboy, Chameleon, Due Damsel, Shadow Lass, Matter-Eater Lad, and Princess Projectra

Original synopsis: Superboy battles Mordru in the 20th century and imprisons him by burying him. He tosses Mordru's magical Blood Crystals into deep space, where they are later discovered by the Legion. Chameleon Boy, afflicted by the Crystals with an irrational hatred of Superboy, travels back in time to attempt to destroy the Boy of Steel.

New synopsis: Superboy battles Mordru in the 20th century and imprisons him by burying him. He tosses Mordru's magical Blood Crystals into deep space, where they are later discovered by the Legion. The Blood Crystals float in space for 600 years before landing on a small moon out past Xanthu almost in Khudian territory. The moon's gravity combined with the magic in the crystal has pushed many a sentient to stay on the mood creating a small cult that despises Superboy and his legacy as the Blood Crystals original spell to cause hatred of Superboy. But without Superboy around their magic was almost inert, only causing those who come into contract with the Blood Crystals becoming its servants filled with malice. But recently Superboy has returned to the 30th century for a visit with the Legion the Crystal's magic sparked to life becoming stronger. Which brought the team out on a mission to this Moon, as it has been sending out violent attacks across the UP and all of its followers shouting "For the Blood of Superboy" confusing people at first making them think they were a cult dedicated to a perverse Superboy. Superboy and the Legion go to this moon and are attacked instantly. Superboy and Duo Damsel hide while the other Legionnaires are captured and become the Blood Crystals's servants. Superboy and Duo Damsel take out their fellow Legionnaires and the other cult followers but just barely. Unable to touch the Blood Crystals Superboy moves the moon towards a yellow sun. Superboy moves it so close that it almost get's pulled into the Sun.

Reason for change:
So i can honestly say I've never read this story but i came across it in research and thought it would be an interesting story to switch up and add more to it and place it in the Legion's time instead of dealing with the confusion of time travel.

Last edited by Omni; 04/17/17 10:19 AM.

Omni #926280 04/18/17 04:13 PM
Omni, trust me when I say that your re-imagining is way better than the original. Also, very cute how Kal & Lu are brought together in a way that feels organic and believable (just of curiosity, does Lu's Carggite heritage have anything to do with her not falling under the crystals' spell?)

And...whaddya know, Lu also stars in my new one:

THE SHORT-LIVED 2nd VERSION OF THE SUBS (as seen in BAXTER LSH ANNUAL #3) re-imagined as LU'S LEAGUE OF LEGION LADIES

Original Cast

Heroes: BOUNCING BOY, NIGHT GIRL, COSMIC BOY, COMET QUEEN, MYG, DUO DAMSEL

Villains: DOMINATORS

Original Plot

In a rather sad re-hash of his own Earth-War plot, Levitz has the Dominators threatening Weber's World from a secret beachhead on Lydda's home-planet, Kathoon. Lydda, Rokk, Chuck, Myg, and The Annoying Valley Girl...of Space all get drawn into the scheme, and by-the-numbers mayhem (albeit beautifully drawn by Greg LaRocque) ensues. Then the five of them, plus Lu, form a new Subs. And the readers go wild...not.

My Pick for Cast

Heroines: DUO DAMSEL, DAWNSTAR, LAUREL KENT, LAMPREY, NIGHTWIND, COMET QUEEN, MANDALLA

Villains: GRIMBOR, SUNI WAHLMUNN (Mandalla's mother)

New Plot

While Dawnstar is visiting her ex-roomie Laurel Kent at the Legion Academy, the entire campus is placed under siege by Grimbor and his new lover, Suni, whose illegitimate daughter, Tari, is Academy student Mandalla. Using artificial means to enhance the dormant psionic powers she has recently discovered, Suni mesmerizes all the men on campus, even sweet, loyal Chuck, though his resistance is a lot stronger than that of the others. Lu and Tari and Dawny organize the girls into an ass-kicking unit, and the siege is undone. And Chuck, bless him, never strays. The ladies unanimously decide to make their team a semi-regular gathering.

Reason for Change

Well, in the past, every time the ladies of the Legion have banded together, it's been because they were being controlled by the likes of Thora. So I felt like an inversion of that nauseating trope was long overdue.

Omni #926349 04/19/17 07:39 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Great Darkness: laugh although I'd kinda like to see the Subs and the Pets working together.

Originally Posted by Omni

as silly as i know this idea can be i bet this would still be really entertaining.

Somehow I think you’re both missing my point.

Show me the monkey!
Omni #926351 04/19/17 08:05 AM
Omni Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Hi Sue Pergirl,
I thought your attempt was ment to be light hearted and comical in the same vain that I'm assuming the Batman '66 comic is in. I haven't read the series but my understanding was that it was like the 60's Batman TV show which was also goofy and silly. That is how your pitch sounded to me and as I'm a fan of taking underdog or under used characters and trying my best to improve on or use them efficiently I may have missed your point. But either way it sounds like it would be a good story to read if done right.

Fanfic Lady #926499 04/20/17 10:41 AM
Omni Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Omni, trust me when I say that your re-imagining is way better than the original. Also, very cute how Kal & Lu are brought together in a way that feels organic and believable (just of curiosity, does Lu's Carggite heritage have anything to do with her not falling under the crystals' spell?)

u]My Pick for Cast[/u]

Heroines: DUO DAMSEL, DAWNSTAR, LAUREL KENT, LAMPREY, NIGHTWIND, COMET QUEEN, MANDALLA

Reason for Change

Well, in the past, every time the ladies of the Legion have banded together, it's been because they were being controlled by the likes of Thora. So I felt like an inversion of that nauseating trope was long overdue.

I honestly hadn't thought about that part and why she hadn't. i kind of just thought he got her out of there before it could take affect. But in thinking about it, maybe because Duo Damsel is only two thirds of a person it couldn't grab hold of her mind needing it to be complete in order to take it over.

Love the idea of these Legion ladies forming a squad and changing up that Trope. Aside from Dawnstar i like all the ladies chosen and it gives the cadets a chance to shine. I also like the twist of using Mandalla's mother as a villain.

Omni #926528 04/20/17 11:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I took Sue Pergil's post to be a comment on the sad state to which the Legion or its representations have fallen in the past year(s), the butt of jokes as some see it. Evil in Giffen's
JL3001, fat and stupid in Harley Quinn, quarreling in Sugar & Spike, now Saturn Girl apparently gone mad in the 21st century. The Bugs Bunny crossover could be seen as further
insult, although since all the other DC luminaries are joining with Looney Tunes characters, I don't see the Legion as particularly demeaned. Personally, I don't like the Batman 66 series, so I might say how the meager have risen, to appear with the Legion. It just made me laugh to read what I considered to be a satirical take on that holy of holies, the GDS.

Here's a reimagining of this week's Archive reread issue LSH #276 "Lord Romdur's Castle":

Original Cast: Princess Projectra, Phantom Girl, Star Boy, Shadow Lass, Sun Boy and Chameleon Boy.

Your pick for Cast: the same

Original synopsis: The Legionnaires seek three lost United Planets explorers on Avalon, a planet with a primitive feudal society. They are entreated by a lord to help free the King from imprisonment by the mysterious and evil Lord Romdur, who came from an unknown place. The heroes battle material and mystical foes as they approach Romdur's castle, then discover that Romdur is really Mordru. After a brief battle, Mordru is brought down with the help of a knight, who turns out to be the King's son.

New synopsis: The Legionnaires seek three lost United Planets explorers on Avalon, a planet with a primitive feudal society. When the Legion learns that the King has been kidnapped by a mysterious Lord Romdur, Projectra vows to lead an assault on Romdur's castle. She convinces the reluctant lords and knights of Avalon to join the assault by demonstrating she is royalty and powerful, as she gets her fellow Legionnaires to bow down and obey her command to join the quest. "Romdur" turns out to be the three U.P. explorers, who had gone rogue and were using U.P. technology to frighten the people and exploit the resources of Avalon for their personal gain. Projectra and the Legionnaires defeat them with the help of a particularly eager knight. Sadly, the King has been murdered; the knight turns out to be the heir to the throne. He proposes to Projectra but she turns him down and the Legionnaires leave Avalon with the U.P. explorers under arrest.

Reason for change: It's on the cover! The cover was more interesting than the story!

[Linked Image]

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Omni #926540 04/20/17 12:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"Violets Story"

With the same cast.

Synopsis: Brainy, Element Lad and Chameleon Boy take Colossal Boy and Shrinking Violet to Imsk on a made up mission. The real reason is that they suspect Salu is an imposter as she has gotten suspiciously close to Gim. She has been, it's Yera and they use Cancallite to freeze her in shape proving she is a Durlan. Chameleon Boy impersonates Yera impersonating Violet, gets taken to the Imskian Rebellions base and the team cause havoc. They free Violet, Gim and Yera discuss annulling their secret marriage but decide to stay together. Salu spends months in a Sens-Tank and reappears with a different personality.

New plot: Almost the same but this time Cham goes to Imsk disguised as Salu and is captured by the rebellion before they spray Cancellite at Violet. This time the spray doesn't work! Brainy realises that it isn't Vi who has changed - it's Gim! They capture Yera in Gim form and then go on to defeat the Imskian rebellion - with a little less structural damage than originally. Salu and Gim/Yera decide to stay married. Vi explains that the real Gim was always so over protective and patronising (calling her things like his flower girl) that despite being very physically attracted to him she didn't want to be with him as he would most likely just undermine and dominate her. Since Yera took over as Colossal Boy Salu had felt valued and listened to for the first time since they had met, not objectified, and that made her change her mind and get together with him(/her). As Gim's parents had preferred Yera as their son due to her respectful attitude (and proof that she did not spy on or report anything about them) they don't push for her to sent to Tarkon-Galtos or be executed for treason. Long-term plot - Gim gets out of his Sens-Tank a little less overbearing and settles down with Ayla.

Reason for the change: Vi went through such a tough time and came out of it with, in my opinion, an ugly personality that ruined her character. Shy people can be tough without being horrid Rambo caricatures.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Omni #926591 04/20/17 03:05 PM
Cramer, Harbi, I gotta run now, but I'll share my thoughts on your re-imaginings in just a few hours.

Omni #926595 04/20/17 03:43 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Some excellent reimaginings here. Great thread idea, Omni.

Omni and Legion Lost - as a Kinetix fan I'm always a bit overprotective of her, but I like your twist with her as the big bad. Her power levels could work there, especially when you bring in magic. Love the idea of her possibly being saved, and I think she could be. Nice cast as well, having Tinya over Jo, adding in Element Lad and Gates and Lyle makes for a very interesting cast.

Sue pergirl and Great Darkness Saga - I would BUY that!

Fanfie and Conspiracy - showcasing Lu's detective work is a great start. 2 Supermen, Mon and Jo vs. the Trapper makes more sense than the original. And I agree with you on the character derailment of the original, vs. your new Conspirators (which makes sense - Tinya and Tasmia both lost their loves AND are best friends). I'm interested to see your reasoning for Blok being one of them.

Fanfie and Sensor Girl - nice to see a try on the original take of Supergirl as Sensor Girl. Love the Mystelor twist.

Fanfie and Subs 2 - an all-female Subs! The men dominated instead of the women! And using "senior" Academy students like Nightwind and Lamprey and Mandalla! Great job!

FC and Romdur - much, much better than the original indeed. Nice to see Projectra taking charge (she is a Princess after all).

Omni and Blood Crystals - I also like having Kal and Lu work together alone.

Harbi and Vi's story - excellent twist! Great reasoning for why Vi liked Yera instead of Gim, it felt better explained than even the original story by Levitz (where Gim just fell in love with Yera without really explaining why), at least you articulated Vi falling for Yera in a believable and concrete way. Also liked your using the sens-tank to give Gim some development

Omni #926611 04/20/17 06:42 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally Posted by Omni
Hi Sue Pergirl, I thought your attempt was meant to be light-hearted and comical in the same vein that I'm assuming the Batman '66 comic is in.

OK, sure. We’ll go with that.
My kid tells me I need to be less snarky anyway.

"Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots as the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy." - Bat-Mite

Show me the monkey!
Omni #926612 04/20/17 06:47 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes (2008) Reimagined

Original Cast: Superman, and Everybody
My pick for Cast: Superman, and Everybody

Original synopsis:Superman goes back to the future, to join the Legion in their fiight against Earth-Man, his Justice League, and xenophobia.
New synopsis: The longer Superman spends in the future, the more he realizes that this is A future, but not HIS future.

Important clues:

It turns out that the Superman of this Earth’s past really was from Earth, not Krypton.

He becomes aware that his memories of working with the Legion as a boy are false memories, implanted in his mind by Brainiac 5 and Saturn Girl.

As Superman’s false memories fade away, Earth-Man explains that the presence on Earth of large numbers of aliens is due to successive invasions of Earth over the last thousand years.

Earth-Man and his Justice League are freadom fighters, resisting the Legion, who are the Enforcers of the United Federation of Planets, and the status quo.

Conclusion: Superman switches sides, joining Earth-Man and his Justice League against the evil Legion. But Earth-Man is just as callous and brutal as Earth’s alien overlords.

When Sun Boy dies from exhaustion, and Earth’s sun shines yellow once again, Superman regains his powers, and joins Earth-Man in space, attempting to repell the latest alien invasion. But while Superman continues to obey his code against killing, the alien invasion and Earth-Man and his troops don't follow suite. Genocide, of one side or the other, seems certain, but Superman will never know. Hit by an stray ray from one of the alien ships, he returns back through time back to his own Earth of 2008.

Back to the Batcave, Superman confesses to Batman that he now realizes that all his memories of the Legion were false, and that he has never visited the future, and worked with the Legion at all.

Reason for change: I nvever really liked the “Retroboot Legion”; it was unoriginal, and in the end, all it led to was Issue 23.

Show me the monkey!
Omni #926642 04/21/17 08:01 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Wow. Lots of shades of gray in that story, Sue. That would certainly shake Superman up.

Omni #929058 05/18/17 07:26 AM
Omni Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Sue Pergirl, I really like this take on it and it give so much potential to explore a world where the Legion is Villains of sorts. Also i wasn't a huge fan of the Retroboot either and your dismantling of them is better than what we got.

Omni #929346 05/22/17 12:52 PM
Omni Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Original Adventure 344-345 Story:(source: http://www.cosmicteams.com/legion/legion1/chron4.html)

The Legionnaires are captured by Nardo and imprisoned in the Super-Stalag of Spacealong with other heroes, including Blockade Boy (Phyl Staad of Amadus), Plant Lad (Noyt Echad of Simballi), Shadow Kid (Grev Mallor of Talok VIII), and Weight Wizard. Plant Lad is killed for resisting Nardo's guards. NOTES:Shadow Kid was later revealed to be the cousin of Tasmia Mallor (Shadow Lass).
Adventure Comics #344 (May 1966)
The Legion escapes from the Super-Stalag of Space, but Weight Wizard is killed. Nardo nearly kills Matter-Eater Lad, but instead alters his atomic structure, making him super-fat. Nardo is captured and the Super-Stalag dismantled.
Adventure Comics #345 (June 1966)

Original Cast for both issues:
Chameleon Boy
Cosmic Boy
Duo Damsel
Element Lad
Invisible Kid
Light Lass
Matter-Eater Lad
Saturn Girl
Brainiac 5
Sun Boy
Mon-El
Ultra-Boy
Superboy
Original cast: Supporting Characters:
Unnamed Durlan Shapeshifter/Superboy
Shadow Kid (First appearance)
Plant Lad (First appearance; dies)
Blockade Boy (First appearance) (dies in 345)

Cast for # 345 only:
Bouncing Boy

Villains:
Nardo
Weight Wizard (First appearance) (dies in 345)

New story:
Legion gets a distress call from Lallor and soon from across the galaxy that sentiens with Meta abilities are being abducted but no one knows where to or why for that matter. The Legion finds it odd that such high profile sentients with powers are being taken and start to look into it. Meanwhile Brainiac 5 and Chameleon Boy are out on a mission when they are captured and imprisoned in the Super-Stalag of Space along with the other Meta sentients who have been captured. Brainiac 5 is interrogated and finds out that their captor is Nardo, the warden of the Super-Stalag of Space. But his reason for kidnapping the various heroes and imprisoning them is each of them has committed a crime in his eyes. Nardo is an android bent on order and follows every law to the letter. Recently a solar flare passed by the Super-Stalag causing all of its systems to malfunction. Including those of Nardo. After Nardo’s interrogation of Brainiac 5 he comes to see the Legion as vigilantes, even though they are legally sanctioned by the United Planets and so he decides to trap them with the others he has collected. Sending a distress signal the Legion goes out to the Super-Stalag to investigate. Instantly trapped and separated the team does its best to escape and with each attempt the Legionnaires and other heroes find themselves unable to escape and with each of them experiencing a bad side affect from their attempts that changes their powers and physical bodies. Realizing there is traitor in their midst they try to figure out who it is while also trying to continue their escape. Eventually escaping and finding out that Weight Wizard was the traitor and informant for Warden Nardo. Nardo kills Weight Wizard as punishment for being discovered and Plant Lad also dies trying to escape. The Legion hasn’t heard from the away team or from Brainiac 5 and Chameleon Boy’s team and they track their flight rings to where the away team is and a second away team heads out to rescue them. Briefly getting captured themselves the rescue team combined with the other captive Legionnaires and hero’s they defeat Nardo once they realize he and his staff are all automated robots and begin to not only fight them and the Super-Stalag of Space as Nardo is hardwired into it which was how he knew about Weight Wizard’s failure. Brainiac 5 realizes the problem with the Super-Stalag and fixes it but not before Nardo is destroyed using the logic of the Law it upheld and amendments that were added which changed man of the laws.

New Cast:
Villain: Nardo - android prison warden.

Captured Meta’s:
Brainiac 5
Chameleon Boy
Gas Girl
Splinter.
Weight Wizard
Shadow Kid
Plant Lad
Blockade Boy
An Unnamed Durlan Shapeshifter/ who morphs into Superboy to save his friends.
*note: there are others these are just those mentioned by name.

First Legion Rescue Squad:
Duo Damsel
Element Lad
Shrinking Violet
Matter-Eater Lad
Saturn Girl
Mon-El

Second Legion Rescue Squad:
Invisible Kid
Sun Boy
Ultra Boy
Bouncing Boy
Shadow Lass
Phantom Girl

Reason for change: Another story i found of interest that didn’t need much done to it but a little fleshing out it seems. Much of the cast is the same. With the exception that i switched out Light Lass for Shrinking Violet and Shadow Lass for Superboy. I wanted to one limit the confusion of two Superboy’s present before one of them dies and her power makes sense for a rescue mission with using shadows to cover their tracks. I also wanted to bring in some more of the female legionnaires as the original only had three and now there are five with Phantom Girl added.
I also added Bouncing Boy for more than just a cameo.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,270
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden