Who's Online Now
1 Legionnaires (Paladin), 2 Murran Spies and 28 Spider Guild Agents online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Television Trouble-Finder
Time-Scope
DC Comics Rebirth
by Brain-Fall-Out Boy. 05/26/17 12:42 AM
You've Been...
by Myg - Andy S. 05/25/17 11:10 PM
Why I couldn't be the hero...
by Myg - Andy S. 05/25/17 11:09 PM
I'm thinking of an ANNUAL!
by Myg - Andy S. 05/25/17 11:05 PM
Would you rather ... 2
by Myg - Andy S. 05/25/17 11:02 PM
Name Three - III
by Myg - Andy S. 05/25/17 11:00 PM
The Week's New Books Reviews
by Brain-Fall-Out Boy. 05/25/17 07:53 PM
Universe-Monitor
DC Comics
Legion Wiki
LMBP Yahoo! Group
LMB Wiki
Facebook Legion World
Twitter Legion World
Legion of Super-Bloggers
The Legion Omnicom
Legion Abstract
Year 3000 - Legion RP site
The Future Begins Now - Legion RP site
We Are Legion - Legion RP site
Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe - Legion
Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics - Legion
Legion of Super-Heroes Online Companion
Hero History at Major Spoilers
Interlac, the Legion of Super-Heroes APA Facebook group
Klordny: Devoted to the Legion of Super-Heroes
APA 247 Yahoo! Group
It's OK, I'm a Senator
Get-a-Life Boy's Legion of Super-Heroes Site
Titanstower
The Legion Files
Heaven4Heroes - Legion
Legion of Super-Heroes fanfic
Glamazonia presenta: Legione Dei Super-Eroi
Super Future Friends
Legion of Substitute Podcasters
Blockade Boy
The Legion of Super-Heroes - Kevin Leung's Original Comic Art Gallery
The Superhero Network Entertainment Group
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#923250 - 03/08/17 10:53 PM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Brain-Fall-Out Boy Offline
Substitute
Brain-Fall-Out Boy  Offline
Substitute

Texas
To be fair to invisible republic, the present day sequences have had a lot of development, and it's picking up steam. It's the flashback segments that continue to drag along slowly, and the fact that the present day segments dance around those aspects of the story that would spoil the flashbacks.

#923256 - 03/09/17 04:17 AM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Substitute
Substitute

Texas
This week:

Astro City 42
Deathstroke 14
Mother Panic 4
Titans 9
Wonder Woman 18

Copperhead 11
The Wicked + The Divine 27

Silver Surfer 9

Copperhead returns after such a long absence I had stopped thinking of it as an active title. And I still have a couple of issues of Surfer before I'm caught up, so we'll see if I get to the new one this week.

#923268 - 03/09/17 01:34 PM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
thoth lad Offline
Tempus Fugitive
thoth lad  Offline
Tempus Fugitive

Touring Bgtzl and Bgztl with M...
I might pick up Copperhead. That had been another decent one. Another Astro City? Why it seems like only a month... oh, yeah... smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
#923301 - 03/10/17 08:13 AM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Substitute
Substitute

Texas
Silver Surfer #9 (and 7 and 8) - Man, the heavy foreboding in these issues made me look at the title's sales, and... I am glad I jumped on when I did. Issue 9 was a delightful done-in-one. Returning to the Dr. Who comparisons, this one reminded me (but was better than) the episode where Amy got middle aged, so the Doctor and Rory killed her and got a younger version from earlier in the timeline. Why do I have the feeling that Holo-Dawn is going to be spared the next big storyline?

Titans #9 - I felt that this was the best issue yet, and only partially because it didn't bring up it's own tattered continuity. I really want this book to be better than it has been, and while it's not quite where I want it to be, it definitely seems to be getting closer. I'll keep hanging on, at least for a bit. Wally's redesigned costume is really keen, and Donna's is... aight. Roy looks like a douche, so well done on that one.

Deathstroke #14 - Still really enjoying it. Since Rose was the focus of the early issues, I can understand the focus on Joseph this arc, but I do hope Rose moves back into the foreground soon. Am I supposed to recoginze the super-heroine who shows up in the latter half of this issue? She's fun, but I have no idea who she is.

Wonder Woman #18 - Still not a fan of Veronica Cale. Was I supposed to feel bad for her at the end of the issue? Spoiler warning: I didn't. I know I should at least feel bad for the daughter, but she's just a little bland and... featureless. (I'll show myself out.) I consistently feel that the book is thisclose to clicking for me, but it still isn't. You can do it, Greg! I know you can!

Mother Panic #4 - continuing to grow on me. I don't know how long the mysteries of her past can work as a device before it gets old, but I'm willing to see where they're going.

Copperhead #11 - Back after a long, long absence with a new artist. I could have done with a recap after the long delay. If you were reading it and intend to pick it back up, consider a reread first. I think Drew Moss' portrayal of the main character may take a while to grow on me, but he gets the aliense, especially Boo, really well. Speaking of Boo, that's quite a cliffhanger. Don't be a stranger, Copperhead!

The Wicked + The Divine #27 - This issue is a bunch of little interspersed partial scenes. Clearly an "arthouse" experimental issue. At least in my digital form, it wasn't very successful. This book has a tendency to bounce between jaw-dropping, game-changing shocks and periods of tiresome water-treading. Ever since things blew up a few issues ago, we've been shooting full steam ahead. I hope this issue isn't a move back towards paddling in the kiddie pool again for a while.

Haven't gotten to Astro City yet. I love the book, but if I read it in the wrong frame of mind, I just don't grok it well. I'll sit on it until I'm in the right mood.

#923326 - 03/11/17 07:34 AM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Substitute
Substitute

Texas
Astro City #42 - One of the most memorable and enjoyable stories in a long while. The book hasn't been bad by any means, but if you asked me to name my favorites, they would probably all be from "Local Heroes" or earlier. A very nice character arc for the protagonist, and a new hero I'd like to learn more about in Mermaid.

Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77 #8 - The conclusion of the second arc pairing the Adam West Batman and the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman. The first arc was set in WW2, and this one was set during the 60s, contemporary with the Batman show. If I interpret the ending correctly, it must be after the last appearance of Catwoman, despite being based on Julie Newmar rather than Eartha Kitt. It was an enjoyable romp, bringing the action to Paradise Island and incorporating the mythology of both shows, as well as Ra's Al Ghul, in some interesting ways. I'm really looking forward to the next arc, which will be set in the 70s. Final season WW was my favorite, and we'll get a glimpse for the first time of what became of the Adam West Batman after the show's run. The Not-At-All-Dark Knight Returns!

#923584 - 03/14/17 08:17 PM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Substitute
Substitute

Texas
Coming out tomorrow:

Batwoman #1
Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye #6
Super Sons #2
Wonder Woman '77 Meets The Bionic Woman #3

East Of West #32
Invincible #134
Sex Criminals #17

Black Panther World Of Wakanda #5
Mighty Thor #17
Ms. Marvel #16

#924215 - 03/25/17 08:17 PM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Substitute
Substitute

Texas
I got sucked into World of Warcraft, and I've been too busy to read my comics, let alone write about them. I'll try to get back on the ball. Now that I can't drive at work, I can spend my downtime reading.

#929056 - 05/18/17 07:07 AM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Substitute
Substitute

Texas
Not even going to attempt the two months I missed, besides that would really defeat the purpose of the thread. Some thoughts on the books I read tonight:

Astro City #44 - This issue was a delight. Less weighty than most issues, but a fun romp. Usually I have to get myself into the right mindset for Astro City, but I could have dived into this as easily as I did Super Sons. Speaking of which:

Super Sons #4 - Wrap up of the first storyline. It remains a delight, and clearly is set in current continuity without making me feel dragged into books I have no desire to read. I would never say I wish all superhero comics were like this, but I wish more were.

Invincible #136 - The fourth issue of the final storyline. After so many Invincible storylines involved an alliance of heroes fighting off a Viltrumite invasion, the book is shifting gears and ending with a storylin involving an alliance of heroes fighting off a Viltrumite invasion. Anyway, snark aside there were some nice scenes with invincible's daughter, nieces and/or nephews, his mother and the wife of his late brother. And the main plot involves the heroes losing and retreating in such a way as to lead the Viltrumite army to Earth. After so many storylines about Viltrumite invasions that ended with the Viltrumites being drawn away from their conquests by the allure of human love and family, it's nice the they are clearly going to be trying something... oh, I give up. If you've been reading this comic for 136 issues you're not going to quit in the middle of the final stortline. If you haven't been reading it, not a good place to start.

Teen Titans #8 - There were some nice dynamics in the meeting of the two Titans teams. It leaves me absolutely no idea of what Titans history looks like now. Slade Wilson continues to be the most interesting character in the crossover, and the one who dominates the plot. I don't see that changing as the next chapter moves into his own title. Not a bad read, but I'm much more curious about that the new status quos will be than the story itself.

More to come.

#929168 - 05/19/17 07:42 PM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Reboot Offline
I want to escape, back to sweeter days-kinder days
Reboot  Offline

The Mainframe
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
Teen Titans #8 - There were some nice dynamics in the meeting of the two Titans teams. It leaves me absolutely no idea of what Titans history looks like now.

Yeah, it's....not the clearest. Doesn't help that Abnett has an occasional case of the "oh, shiny!"s and forgets where he was going.

From what I can tell from reading Titans Hunt & this series:
1) The earliest lineup we've seen is Robin (Dick), Aqualad (Garth), Kid Flash (OG Wally), Speedy, Donna and Lilith. No indication of whether they're the originals, or whether the latter three were late arrivals, or whatever.
2) This was the team that had the interactions with Deathstroke that the NTT originally had in publication order, albeit modified to a greater or lesser extent
3) At some point, Gnaark, Herald (Mal) and Hawk & Dove (Don) joined
4) This team came up against Mr. Twister, Don was killed and the rest were brainwashed. To stop themselves and Twister, Lilith ended up wiping all of their memories that any of them were EVER the Teen Titans.
5) At some point after this, OG Wally fought Abra Kadabra and was thrown into the Speed Force and forgotten by the world, although the backlash mindwiped Kadabra himself. (While in the Speed Force, he regained his pre-Flashpoint memories)
6) The New Teen Titans were never A Thing, although Dick and Kori still had a relationship. There's no indication that Cyborg or Starfire (before the current TT series) were ever Titans, although they remain in the same age group, while Gar and Raven have been deaged to be part of the "Young Justice" generation.
7) Titans Hunt involved the remains of the original Titans being drawn back together by Mr. Twister, with Dawn subbing for Don and Bumblebee powered up For The First Time to sub for Wally.
8) At the end of that series, they did NOT recall their full careers (even notwithstanding the Wally thing)

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#929183 - 05/20/17 08:06 AM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Substitute
Substitute

Texas
Yeah, that seems to be pretty close to what I was trying to assemble. Of course, as always, Donna is even more of a mess. They seem to be going with the New 52 made from clay origin, with WW giving Donna false memories to hide the truth about herself. At keast, based on my reading of the annual. But then how could she have been a member of the original Titans?

#929280 - 05/21/17 01:48 PM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Reboot Offline
Reboot  Offline

The Mainframe
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
Yeah, that seems to be pretty close to what I was trying to assemble. Of course, as always, Donna is even more of a mess. They seem to be going with the New 52 made from clay origin, with WW giving Donna false memories to hide the truth about herself. At keast, based on my reading of the annual. But then how could she have been a member of the original Titans?

Two possibilities:
1) She was created as a weapon, given false memories, joined the Titans, forgot the Titans, was killed and then her "creation" as seen in N52 Wonder Woman was actually a *resurrection*/recreation (and at some point between Titans Hunt and Titans Rebirth, WW got her memories touched up again, hence the major shift in her personality between the two stories).
2) More insidiously... note that in the annual with that reveal about Donna, Superman is wearing his Reborn costume, rather than the Rebirth costume. Superman Reborn was a *MASSIVE* timeline shift which has added five to ten years (back) to the careers of the "trinity" (& probably others) - although it seems to have worked in some weird backwards causality way, wherein the present day was relatively unchanged, but the history that led up to it was shifted in unpredictable ways (e.g., Superman & Wonder Woman were *never* now a couple). So, between that and N52 Themyscira being a fake per Rucka, assume any relation between what was said in the Annual and the Finch WW run was (in-continuity) coincidental.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#929708 - Yesterday at 07:53 PM Re: The Week's New Books Reviews [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Substitute
Substitute

Texas
One more from last week I wanted to mention:

The Mighty Thor #19 - This whole storyline was an unwelcome shift away from the book's main thrust for me, but at least it resolved and will lead into some more Thor-related stories. And it was nice seeing the original Thor folded back into the series. But what I really wanted to say is that I absolutely love the twist with Jane Foster and Roz Solomon. It is actually exactly what I was hoping would happen, in the way I hoped it would. I can't wait to see where things will go from here.

On to this week:

Deathstroke #19 - Continuing the usual refrain for the Lazarus Contract issues: it was okay. It snapped a bit more of Titans history into focus, and gave some more good family developments for Slade. Looks like there was no Judas Contract in this timeline. Mostly I want to see what effects the crossover will have on the various books. I was confused by everyone being confused by the two Wallys: I guess I just assumed they were cousins named after a common grandfather or other relative. It looks like they might be setting up something more complicated. More wallowing in continuity messes. Yay.

Wonder Woman #23 - On the plus side, this issue finally gives up the payoff to a full year (of bi-monthly issues) of WW complaining about how she can't keep her own continuity straight. We finally get an explanation for everything that does NOT include Watchmen 2: Eletric Boogaloo. Like many of these continuity patches it doesn't really hold up under fine scrutiny, but it is overall satisfying, and leaves us with a general shape of the current history, which is enough to be getting on with. The one exception being we are still going to have to clarify the whole made from clay/Zeus' daughter/did she have a twin brother thing. But on the whole, I really liked the issue and it's the best I've felt about this current run so far.

Plastic #2 - I've been reevaluating my Image list lately, dropping some of the dreary serious books and focusing on the things that are fun. This book is definitely fun. Lars and the Real Girl crossed with Quentin Tarantino. Viktor is a serial killer who has tried to stop his impulses for the sake of his girlfriend Virginia. Unfortunately, Virginia is kidnapped by a corrupt businessman who requires Viktor to kill for him in exchange for Virginia's freedom. And Virginia is a sex doll. In this second issue, Viktor picks up one of the strangest sidekicks I've ever seen in a comic. A whole lot of fun.

Samaritan Veritas #1 - I read the first issue of the Tithe and then it's crossover with Postal. This book is the replacement for the first book after the status-quo destroying events of the second. Samaritan is once again a criminal on the run, but now she wants revenge on the man she holds responsible for the death of the love of her life: the president of the United States. Considering how casually the book mentions that the previous president had been replaced with our villain, I could speculate on why the book suddenly and unexpectedly promoted its villain in order to turn this into a book about a vigilante taking down the corrupt president, but I feel like I already just made it clear. I enjoyed it, and I'll be sticking around for the rest of the mini.

Jean Grey #2 and X-Men Blue #4 - Rather tthan make the same comments twice, I'll just lump these two X-books together. They have probably been the most enjoyable for me of all the newly relaunced X-books. I had no particular affinity for the teen originals previously, so that is down entirely to the writing. Neither are great and memorable comics milestones, but they are fun comics. And after several years of trying unsuccessfully to create great and memoriable comics milestones, I'm good with that. I think X-Men Gold is the book I would like to be my favorite, but until and unless it works the kinks out, I'll keep enjoying these two. I'm not really seeing anything like an ongoing premise for the Jean Grey series, but that's a problem for the second arc to contend with.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Monitor Duty
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics20,138
Posts939,165
Legionnaires1,673
Most Online123
May 6th, 2017
Newest Legionnaires
EzraLas, houseofel, KidJustice, 1234567, Wildwolfkid
1673 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Time Bubble
Holo-Vids
21CL Shrinking Violet
Catalyst Queen for Legion AU Project
Color Kid by Jay Fosgitt
Roll Call
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
Winnipeg
Show All Member Profiles 
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star