Roll Call
0 members (), 20 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 04/19/24 10:08 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/19/24 08:52 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/19/24 05:14 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 11:59 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Deathstroke
#921268 01/28/17 03:37 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Any other fans of the current Christopher Priest written Deathstroke comic? I usually prefer Deathstroke as an antagonist rather than a lead, and I really only tried this because of Priest's name. I'm glad I did.

It should appeal to any fans of the original bronze age version of the character. It's got a streamlined history, taking the various reveals that came out over time and mixing them into a logical whole. A supporting cast that includes Wintergreen, Addie, Joseph and Rose. Unlike too many Rebirth books that wallow in their shattered continuity, this book just presents it's take and moves forward. Joseph/Jericho is probably furthest from the original portrayal, but it's a take that works very well here. Still a hero, but with the grayness and ambiguity you'd expect from the son of Deathstroke and Addie.

Highly recommended. I would love for this book to succeed and lead to more work for the endlessly talented Priest.

Re: Deathstroke
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #921270 01/28/17 03:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I've read good things about this book from posters here like Cobalt Kid and trusted professional reviewers alike. I'm looking forward to when the first trade comes out, so I can see for myself! Priest's run on Black Panther is in my mind a high point of the late '90s/early 2000's, so it's great to hear that he is back and in top form!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #921272 01/28/17 03:58 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Here's what I said about Priest and Deathstroke in the DC Rebirth thread this past August:

Originally Posted by Me
I've had a copy of "Deathstroke: Rebirth" laying around unread since the week it was released. And that was, what, a month ago? Now, I think Priest is an awesome person -- a fine writer, an underappreciated editor (Little Known Fact: Priest gave Peter David his first comic-book writing break because Priest always remembered that before his promotion from Marvel staffer to Marvel editor, the only two people at Marvel who had given Priest the time of day were his mentor, Larry Hama, and his fellow lowly Marvel staffer, Peter David) and a vivid character worthy of being himself the subject of a book.

But...I kinda wish Priest was working on a less difficult, less morally ambiguous character than Deathstroke. To me, the idea of reading a Deathstroke solo book is like eating a meal that's too heavily spiced (and I should add that I never read any of the previous Deathstroke solo books.)

Who knows? Maybe this Deathstroke book will open doors for Priest to do something more to my liking in the not-too-distant-future. And I am open to the possibility of borrowing the first Priest Deathstroke trade from the library when it comes out.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #921274 01/28/17 04:05 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
It sounds like we have similar views on Deathstroke. Like I said, I only tried it because of Priest.

I should also add that I am choosing to assume that the horrifying sexual relationship between Slade and the underage Terra are now out of continuity. I don't think any amount of quality could get me to try a book with him as a lead otherwise.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #921276 01/28/17 04:12 PM
I agree we seem to be in agreement on Deathstroke.

The last time I re-read "The Judas Contract" was only a few months ago, and while Marv Wolfman's Titans run is loaded with uncomfortable sexual undertones relating to several characters (the Donna/Terry relationship in particular has always been a favorite target for squirmy ridicule in the Titans forum), I came away feeling that all the ugliest stuff was only hinted that rather than overtly declared.

Will be re-reading TJC later this year when the current NTT trades catch up to it (prob by Volume 7), so then I'll see if I still feel that way.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #921280 01/28/17 05:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have to read The Judas Contract for my articles at Endangered Bodies. I want to write about the relationship between Terra and Deathstroke... among other things.

Fanfic Lady #921291 01/29/17 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
I agree we seem to be in agreement on Deathstroke.

OMG, I swear I was nodding off when I posted that! blush

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #921503 02/02/17 08:11 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I’m a little late to the party, but I’ve said again and again in the DC Rebirth thread that I am absolutely LOVING Priest’s Deathstroke series! It’s been stellar so far, and it blends Priest at his best with an incredible story about family and a man who is dealing with being a terrible father and perhaps (though its not clear yet) is trying to figure out a way to make amends.

While I’ve always like Deathstroke, he’s never been one of my top favorites. On the other hand, I’m a diehard Priest fan from the 90’s, and like Lardy, his Black Panther run was a personal favorite—something the two of us bonded over back in 2002 or so in the early LMB days.

While I was unsure of how Priest would fit Deathstroke, I can see its been kind of brilliant so far. You add in Wintergreen, and Slade’s family (three kids, wife, etc.) and numerous others, and Priest can jangle a slew of characters and subplots with his own unique narrative style. The real stars thus far are Wintergreen, Rose and Jericho.

I really like it. It may take the entire first arc for some people to warm up to the narrative beats, but I think most people would be hooked after that.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #921504 02/02/17 08:14 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Regarding the Judas Contract, I have to say that I think one of the things that makes Deathstroke so "himself" is that at the end of the day, he's pretty irredeemable. He is not a hero by any means, and he's a murderer. A tragic, compelling lead character, but still irredeemable.

And so with that in mind, I very much assume that in continuity an older man Slade slept with a 17 or so year old Terra. And I think he did it to seduce her, hold power over her, and all the other awful things that statutory rape entails. I am not a fan at all of rape in superhero comics, so I would have no problem with this not being mentioned in comics again. But it isn't out of character to assume he would do something like that.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #921533 02/02/17 03:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Deathstroke has been a pleasant surprise in the DC Rebirth. While I am not a fan of him as a protagonist, this series grapples that disfunction head on - giving us great moments with Wintergreen and Rose.

I'm not sold on the Jericho changes. And the Red Lion makes me cringe.

But I'm into this book

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #921543 02/03/17 03:03 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I'm a little unsure of whether Jericho even was a Titan in this continuity, unless there was a direct reference that slipped past me. But he was never a fav of mine, and what love I had for the character was pretty thoroughly dismantled by Geoff Johns and the various Evil Jericho writers, so I'm willing to let a lot slide on that front.

I'm also a big Priest fan from the 90s: Black Panther, Quantum and Woody, Steel, Xer0, Ray and Justice League Task Force... a man who could make that lineup sort of work is a miracle man.

In fact, one of my personal guilty fan stories has to do with that run of Black Panther. I didn't like the idea of replacing T'Challa, so I bailed after issue 49. I still don't like the idea, but I feel like Priest had built enough trust that I should have at least given it a chance, and I feel a little guilty that I didn't give him that opportunity. It's not like one more reader would have saved the book, but still.

This place was around in 2002? Dang, I think about some of the rough going DC has given me over the intervening years since then, and it would have been nice to have somewhere to shelter through a lot of it. Not that it was all bad; I'm trying very hard not to turn into the Grumpy Old Man. But there's definitely been a lot of times that I was hunting for the good stuff instead of enjoying the universe as a whole.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #930406 06/01/17 07:44 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I've been playing catch up on this series and read #11-15 last night, with the most recent few issues to come tonight. And holy shit, is this a great series or what? Priest started strong but he's truly in his groove now, with each issue delivering a plethora of great plotting / pacing, incredible non-liner interludes and utterly fantastic characterization.

I was blown away by the awesome gun control / Creeper issue. Candidate for best issue of 2017 so far.

I was thrilled to see Nightwing's Raptor appear, and just like everyone else, he was written great.

Jericho is complex and layered, and more interesting to me here than ever before.

Rose is fantastic.

I'm late in reading these because my father had all the issues and recently read them all. Having missed most comics from 1994 or so to 2016, this was his first chance to discover Priest and I'm thrilled that he's instantly fallen in love with his writing. Never a Deathstroke fan, it says a lot that he's on board in such a big way for this series.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 06/01/17 07:45 AM.
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #930417 06/01/17 10:06 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I saw this in this month's preorders and it piqued my interest a bit... Deathstroke running an X-Force-type monochrome team with several ex-Teen Titans...? Still written by Priest.

Attached Images Deathstroke21.jpg
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #930522 06/01/17 09:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Why are they bringing Arthur Light back.

The world was a better place with him dead.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #930523 06/01/17 11:13 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I'm looking forward to it. I'm very curious about Terra, Who hasn't factored into things and all up to this point

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #930539 06/02/17 05:25 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I know the new Power Girl had appeared prior to Rebirth but I was in full IDGAF mode at the time, so this is essentially my first intro to her. Really, really likable character and her interactions with Deathstroke have been gold so far.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #930636 06/02/17 05:14 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Agreed, except that I didn't even know who she was prior. I see her becoming the moral center of this new team.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #930643 06/02/17 06:27 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I'm surprised no Aqualad. Given how badly he was treated by the Titans in the crossover, I would expect him to be ready and willing to jump teams

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,859
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star