Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 04/19/24 10:51 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Week's New Books Reviews
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #923250 03/08/17 10:53 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
To be fair to invisible republic, the present day sequences have had a lot of development, and it's picking up steam. It's the flashback segments that continue to drag along slowly, and the fact that the present day segments dance around those aspects of the story that would spoil the flashbacks.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #923256 03/09/17 04:17 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
This week:

Astro City 42
Deathstroke 14
Mother Panic 4
Titans 9
Wonder Woman 18

Copperhead 11
The Wicked + The Divine 27

Silver Surfer 9

Copperhead returns after such a long absence I had stopped thinking of it as an active title. And I still have a couple of issues of Surfer before I'm caught up, so we'll see if I get to the new one this week.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #923268 03/09/17 01:34 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I might pick up Copperhead. That had been another decent one. Another Astro City? Why it seems like only a month... oh, yeah... smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #923301 03/10/17 08:13 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Silver Surfer #9 (and 7 and 8) - Man, the heavy foreboding in these issues made me look at the title's sales, and... I am glad I jumped on when I did. Issue 9 was a delightful done-in-one. Returning to the Dr. Who comparisons, this one reminded me (but was better than) the episode where Amy got middle aged, so the Doctor and Rory killed her and got a younger version from earlier in the timeline. Why do I have the feeling that Holo-Dawn is going to be spared the next big storyline?

Titans #9 - I felt that this was the best issue yet, and only partially because it didn't bring up it's own tattered continuity. I really want this book to be better than it has been, and while it's not quite where I want it to be, it definitely seems to be getting closer. I'll keep hanging on, at least for a bit. Wally's redesigned costume is really keen, and Donna's is... aight. Roy looks like a douche, so well done on that one.

Deathstroke #14 - Still really enjoying it. Since Rose was the focus of the early issues, I can understand the focus on Joseph this arc, but I do hope Rose moves back into the foreground soon. Am I supposed to recoginze the super-heroine who shows up in the latter half of this issue? She's fun, but I have no idea who she is.

Wonder Woman #18 - Still not a fan of Veronica Cale. Was I supposed to feel bad for her at the end of the issue? Spoiler warning: I didn't. I know I should at least feel bad for the daughter, but she's just a little bland and... featureless. (I'll show myself out.) I consistently feel that the book is thisclose to clicking for me, but it still isn't. You can do it, Greg! I know you can!

Mother Panic #4 - continuing to grow on me. I don't know how long the mysteries of her past can work as a device before it gets old, but I'm willing to see where they're going.

Copperhead #11 - Back after a long, long absence with a new artist. I could have done with a recap after the long delay. If you were reading it and intend to pick it back up, consider a reread first. I think Drew Moss' portrayal of the main character may take a while to grow on me, but he gets the aliense, especially Boo, really well. Speaking of Boo, that's quite a cliffhanger. Don't be a stranger, Copperhead!

The Wicked + The Divine #27 - This issue is a bunch of little interspersed partial scenes. Clearly an "arthouse" experimental issue. At least in my digital form, it wasn't very successful. This book has a tendency to bounce between jaw-dropping, game-changing shocks and periods of tiresome water-treading. Ever since things blew up a few issues ago, we've been shooting full steam ahead. I hope this issue isn't a move back towards paddling in the kiddie pool again for a while.

Haven't gotten to Astro City yet. I love the book, but if I read it in the wrong frame of mind, I just don't grok it well. I'll sit on it until I'm in the right mood.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #923326 03/11/17 07:34 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Astro City #42 - One of the most memorable and enjoyable stories in a long while. The book hasn't been bad by any means, but if you asked me to name my favorites, they would probably all be from "Local Heroes" or earlier. A very nice character arc for the protagonist, and a new hero I'd like to learn more about in Mermaid.

Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77 #8 - The conclusion of the second arc pairing the Adam West Batman and the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman. The first arc was set in WW2, and this one was set during the 60s, contemporary with the Batman show. If I interpret the ending correctly, it must be after the last appearance of Catwoman, despite being based on Julie Newmar rather than Eartha Kitt. It was an enjoyable romp, bringing the action to Paradise Island and incorporating the mythology of both shows, as well as Ra's Al Ghul, in some interesting ways. I'm really looking forward to the next arc, which will be set in the 70s. Final season WW was my favorite, and we'll get a glimpse for the first time of what became of the Adam West Batman after the show's run. The Not-At-All-Dark Knight Returns!

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #923584 03/14/17 08:17 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Coming out tomorrow:

Batwoman #1
Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye #6
Super Sons #2
Wonder Woman '77 Meets The Bionic Woman #3

East Of West #32
Invincible #134
Sex Criminals #17

Black Panther World Of Wakanda #5
Mighty Thor #17
Ms. Marvel #16

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #924215 03/25/17 08:17 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I got sucked into World of Warcraft, and I've been too busy to read my comics, let alone write about them. I'll try to get back on the ball. Now that I can't drive at work, I can spend my downtime reading.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #929056 05/18/17 07:07 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Not even going to attempt the two months I missed, besides that would really defeat the purpose of the thread. Some thoughts on the books I read tonight:

Astro City #44 - This issue was a delight. Less weighty than most issues, but a fun romp. Usually I have to get myself into the right mindset for Astro City, but I could have dived into this as easily as I did Super Sons. Speaking of which:

Super Sons #4 - Wrap up of the first storyline. It remains a delight, and clearly is set in current continuity without making me feel dragged into books I have no desire to read. I would never say I wish all superhero comics were like this, but I wish more were.

Invincible #136 - The fourth issue of the final storyline. After so many Invincible storylines involved an alliance of heroes fighting off a Viltrumite invasion, the book is shifting gears and ending with a storylin involving an alliance of heroes fighting off a Viltrumite invasion. Anyway, snark aside there were some nice scenes with invincible's daughter, nieces and/or nephews, his mother and the wife of his late brother. And the main plot involves the heroes losing and retreating in such a way as to lead the Viltrumite army to Earth. After so many storylines about Viltrumite invasions that ended with the Viltrumites being drawn away from their conquests by the allure of human love and family, it's nice the they are clearly going to be trying something... oh, I give up. If you've been reading this comic for 136 issues you're not going to quit in the middle of the final stortline. If you haven't been reading it, not a good place to start.

Teen Titans #8 - There were some nice dynamics in the meeting of the two Titans teams. It leaves me absolutely no idea of what Titans history looks like now. Slade Wilson continues to be the most interesting character in the crossover, and the one who dominates the plot. I don't see that changing as the next chapter moves into his own title. Not a bad read, but I'm much more curious about that the new status quos will be than the story itself.

More to come.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #929168 05/19/17 07:42 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
Teen Titans #8 - There were some nice dynamics in the meeting of the two Titans teams. It leaves me absolutely no idea of what Titans history looks like now.

Yeah, it's....not the clearest. Doesn't help that Abnett has an occasional case of the "oh, shiny!"s and forgets where he was going.

From what I can tell from reading Titans Hunt & this series:
1) The earliest lineup we've seen is Robin (Dick), Aqualad (Garth), Kid Flash (OG Wally), Speedy, Donna and Lilith. No indication of whether they're the originals, or whether the latter three were late arrivals, or whatever.
2) This was the team that had the interactions with Deathstroke that the NTT originally had in publication order, albeit modified to a greater or lesser extent
3) At some point, Gnaark, Herald (Mal) and Hawk & Dove (Don) joined
4) This team came up against Mr. Twister, Don was killed and the rest were brainwashed. To stop themselves and Twister, Lilith ended up wiping all of their memories that any of them were EVER the Teen Titans.
5) At some point after this, OG Wally fought Abra Kadabra and was thrown into the Speed Force and forgotten by the world, although the backlash mindwiped Kadabra himself. (While in the Speed Force, he regained his pre-Flashpoint memories)
6) The New Teen Titans were never A Thing, although Dick and Kori still had a relationship. There's no indication that Cyborg or Starfire (before the current TT series) were ever Titans, although they remain in the same age group, while Gar and Raven have been deaged to be part of the "Young Justice" generation.
7) Titans Hunt involved the remains of the original Titans being drawn back together by Mr. Twister, with Dawn subbing for Don and Bumblebee powered up For The First Time to sub for Wally.
8) At the end of that series, they did NOT recall their full careers (even notwithstanding the Wally thing)

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #929183 05/20/17 08:06 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Yeah, that seems to be pretty close to what I was trying to assemble. Of course, as always, Donna is even more of a mess. They seem to be going with the New 52 made from clay origin, with WW giving Donna false memories to hide the truth about herself. At keast, based on my reading of the annual. But then how could she have been a member of the original Titans?

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #929280 05/21/17 01:48 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
Yeah, that seems to be pretty close to what I was trying to assemble. Of course, as always, Donna is even more of a mess. They seem to be going with the New 52 made from clay origin, with WW giving Donna false memories to hide the truth about herself. At keast, based on my reading of the annual. But then how could she have been a member of the original Titans?

Two possibilities:
1) She was created as a weapon, given false memories, joined the Titans, forgot the Titans, was killed and then her "creation" as seen in N52 Wonder Woman was actually a *resurrection*/recreation (and at some point between Titans Hunt and Titans Rebirth, WW got her memories touched up again, hence the major shift in her personality between the two stories).
2) More insidiously... note that in the annual with that reveal about Donna, Superman is wearing his Reborn costume, rather than the Rebirth costume. Superman Reborn was a *MASSIVE* timeline shift which has added five to ten years (back) to the careers of the "trinity" (& probably others) - although it seems to have worked in some weird backwards causality way, wherein the present day was relatively unchanged, but the history that led up to it was shifted in unpredictable ways (e.g., Superman & Wonder Woman were *never* now a couple). So, between that and N52 Themyscira being a fake per Rucka, assume any relation between what was said in the Annual and the Finch WW run was (in-continuity) coincidental.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #929708 05/25/17 07:53 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
One more from last week I wanted to mention:

The Mighty Thor #19 - This whole storyline was an unwelcome shift away from the book's main thrust for me, but at least it resolved and will lead into some more Thor-related stories. And it was nice seeing the original Thor folded back into the series. But what I really wanted to say is that I absolutely love the twist with Jane Foster and Roz Solomon. It is actually exactly what I was hoping would happen, in the way I hoped it would. I can't wait to see where things will go from here.

On to this week:

Deathstroke #19 - Continuing the usual refrain for the Lazarus Contract issues: it was okay. It snapped a bit more of Titans history into focus, and gave some more good family developments for Slade. Looks like there was no Judas Contract in this timeline. Mostly I want to see what effects the crossover will have on the various books. I was confused by everyone being confused by the two Wallys: I guess I just assumed they were cousins named after a common grandfather or other relative. It looks like they might be setting up something more complicated. More wallowing in continuity messes. Yay.

Wonder Woman #23 - On the plus side, this issue finally gives up the payoff to a full year (of bi-monthly issues) of WW complaining about how she can't keep her own continuity straight. We finally get an explanation for everything that does NOT include Watchmen 2: Eletric Boogaloo. Like many of these continuity patches it doesn't really hold up under fine scrutiny, but it is overall satisfying, and leaves us with a general shape of the current history, which is enough to be getting on with. The one exception being we are still going to have to clarify the whole made from clay/Zeus' daughter/did she have a twin brother thing. But on the whole, I really liked the issue and it's the best I've felt about this current run so far.

Plastic #2 - I've been reevaluating my Image list lately, dropping some of the dreary serious books and focusing on the things that are fun. This book is definitely fun. Lars and the Real Girl crossed with Quentin Tarantino. Viktor is a serial killer who has tried to stop his impulses for the sake of his girlfriend Virginia. Unfortunately, Virginia is kidnapped by a corrupt businessman who requires Viktor to kill for him in exchange for Virginia's freedom. And Virginia is a sex doll. In this second issue, Viktor picks up one of the strangest sidekicks I've ever seen in a comic. A whole lot of fun.

Samaritan Veritas #1 - I read the first issue of the Tithe and then it's crossover with Postal. This book is the replacement for the first book after the status-quo destroying events of the second. Samaritan is once again a criminal on the run, but now she wants revenge on the man she holds responsible for the death of the love of her life: the president of the United States. Considering how casually the book mentions that the previous president had been replaced with our villain, I could speculate on why the book suddenly and unexpectedly promoted its villain in order to turn this into a book about a vigilante taking down the corrupt president, but I feel like I already just made it clear. I enjoyed it, and I'll be sticking around for the rest of the mini.

Jean Grey #2 and X-Men Blue #4 - Rather tthan make the same comments twice, I'll just lump these two X-books together. They have probably been the most enjoyable for me of all the newly relaunced X-books. I had no particular affinity for the teen originals previously, so that is down entirely to the writing. Neither are great and memorable comics milestones, but they are fun comics. And after several years of trying unsuccessfully to create great and memoriable comics milestones, I'm good with that. I think X-Men Gold is the book I would like to be my favorite, but until and unless it works the kinks out, I'll keep enjoying these two. I'm not really seeing anything like an ongoing premise for the Jean Grey series, but that's a problem for the second arc to contend with.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #930671 06/03/17 09:53 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Hulk #6 - I didn't expect to enjoy this series, but it won me over. Putting Jen Walters in a horror comic after decades of being a character handled with a light touch really broke her out of a rut and made her feel fresh. I particularly didn't like the idea of the confident, capable Jen becoming a broken PTSD sufferer, but I have to admit it was handled so well I can't complain. With Jen not Hulking out until the final issue of this six part story, it's much more a tale of psychological horror, survival and recovery. If that sounds like something you might be interested, I'd recommend the first trade wholeheartedly when it comes out.

Teen Titans Annual #1 - The Lazarus Contract Special - Is it an annual or a special? Or... is it BOTH? A satisfying resolution, but it still remains more than anything a Deathstroke story. Secondarily a Teen Titans story, and the adult Titans are mostly along for the ride. Fantastic if you're reading Priest's Deathstroke, missable if not. Well, except for one major Teen Titans development at the end.

Wonder Woman Annual #1 - In the first story, Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott detail the first meeting of the Trinity in current continuity. Keep in mind that this is different than even the continuity of a couple of months ago, let alone pre-Rebirth. It's an entertaining story with beautiful art, but my interest in the background of the Greg Rucka take on the character is fading knowing he only has a couple of issues left. We'll be seeing a new interpretation of her character (hopefully without further continuity wrangling) very soon. Haven't gotten to the other stories yet.

Saga #43 - what can I say about this comic that hasn't already been said. I assume anyone here has either read Saga, or made a conscious choice not to read it, and I have nothing new that would change their minds. But I still want to say that I love it.

Sex Criminals #19 - they cut back a little on the meta humor for an issue to try to move the plot along. Unfortunately with all of the publishing delays, I've discovered that I've forgotten a lot of the plot. A reread it due, but not until I've gotten through all of the Rebirth titles I've been sampling or giving a second chance lately.

Cable #1 - In the name of trying the latest X-relaunch, I very nearly bought this. But then I came to my senses and realized that I have almost never liked Cable, and that even if it was a "good" Cable book I would probably regret having spent money on it. So I put it back.

Doctor Strange #21 - The first issue with the new creative team, whom I'm not following. I only mention it because issue 20, the last issue by the old creative team I AM following, has not been published yet. If comics weren't giving you enough bad feelings harkening back to the not-so-good old days, this should give you an eerie sense of deja vu.

Last edited by Brain-Fall-Out Boy; 06/03/17 09:55 AM. Reason: Dramatic Effect
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #931153 06/08/17 08:39 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Deathstroke #20 - The epilogue to Lazarus Contract. I don't think I ever expected to see so much scripture quoted in an issue of Deathstroke. This issue is mainly about putting together the new direction, so I don't have a lot to say about it, except that it has whetted my appetite even more. I think it's safe to say that we will not be reading born again Deathstroke in 10 years, but this should be a very interesting ride for as long at it lasts.

Shade the Changing Girl #9 - Shade attends a concert by an Earth band she loved to watch on Meta, only to discover that the band and the fans are all old now. So she makes them young again. A fun one off that could have been straight out of the Milligan run. And the subploots back on Meta are FINALLY starting to converge on Shade. The fact that I'm a middle age man grooving to the nostalgia for classic Vertigo adds a nice meta level to the story. Peter Milligan would be proud.

Paper Girls #15 - another fun issue. THis one almost made sense to me. Not sure if that means the story is starting to come together. Also, ever since I made the connection between this book and Stand By Me, I have had that song running in my head as the soundtrack to every issue. In fact, it starts running through my head as soon as I see that a new issue is on the list.

Rock Candy Mountain #3 - The story moves into the supernatural, plus we learn the difference between bums, tramps, and hobos. This book is regularly an absolute delight. It's a historical comedy-adventure about a couple of hobos, one of whom is convinced Rock Candy Mountain from the song is real, and is trying to find it. This was the highlight of my week.

Doctor Strange #20 - the final Aaron/Bachalo issue. A random "breather issue" plot that allows Aaron to tie off his character arcs and cement his new status quo. I would have liked to see him stay on and do something with it instead of spending 20 issues setting it up and then leaving, but this was still a very good, tight run on Doctor Strange. I still haven't seen the movie, but I doubt it could be as good as this comic was.

Iceman #1- Meh.

X-Men Gold #5 - It's a trick, I didn't read it. I've been trying to talk myself into liking this book more than I do, but today I finally realized I had no desire to read the latest issue, so I decided to stop forcing myself. That's 2 Marvel books off my list today, and an unsuccessful try-out. And with The Crew and Silver Surfer already on the chopping block, with X-Men Blue and Jean Grey still in trial limbo, my Marvel list is starting to look puny.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #931158 06/08/17 12:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Superman #24 - Manchester Black is a hard character to pull off. He should be providing a credible sounding counter-argument to Superman, who reverts to being a thug and a creep once his logic is refuted. I think Tomasi and company jumped to "thug & creep" a little too quickly.

Batman #24 - I'll be honest, I find Catwoman boring, and even more boring as a love interest for Bruce. There, I've said it. So despite the big press push for this issue, I found it underwhelming.

Nightwing #22 - After a lull of activity in Bludhaven, things start picking up, with the New 52 Blockbuster right in the middle. I've liked the string of recent guest-stars (Robin, Flash), that seeing Dick solo is actually a bit of a letdown.

Shade the Changing Girl #9 - Decent issue, with the Meta plot starting to advance. I like how they deal more and more with Shade's Avian nature as the series is progressing. Two quibbles: We could use some better secondary characters than the bland high school kids back in Texas & I'm finding the "life with Honey" backups a little too on the nose.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #931184 06/08/17 08:08 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I'm not much of a Catwoman fan either. Devin Grayson's run is the only time I can think I really enjoyed her solo books. I have liked some other stories, but not a lot. I also am not a fan of the extremely cliche femme fatale romance with Batman.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #931186 06/08/17 08:15 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Selina has always been my favorite love interest for Bruce/Batman. I guess it goes all the way back to Adam West and Julie Newmar! grin

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Brain-Fall-Out Boy #932216 06/22/17 07:50 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I kept putting off last week's post, until I realized I just didn't have anything I wanted to say about them. So I skipped a week and now here we are.

Plastic #3 - A lot of twisted fun. It's like Quentin Tarantino at is most bloodbath comedy. It's Lars and the Real Girl if Lars were a serial killer. I've been overdosing on serious, slow-moving HBO drama-type comics lately, and this is one of several comics that's saved me from that pit.

Mighty Thor #20 Another great issue. The previous one gave me exactly what I wanted with Jane voluntarily stepping down in favor of Ros. This issue gives me what I didn't know I wanted, as we get the "origin story" of The War Thor. I'm hoping the fact that they did this here means the one book will be home to all Thors. An occasional mini is fine, if Marvel ever starts doing them again, but I don't feel splitting Jason Aaron's story into multiple ongoing titles would be a good move. In other news, Original Flavor Thor was as big a dick as I've ever seen him. I've never been a Thane shipper, but this scene would kill it for me even harder.

Invincible 137 - I am hopeful that this is not going to just be another extended Vitrumite war. I'm thinking they will defeat Thragg before the storyline and series end, and Robot will be the Big Bad of the last Invincible story. That would be much more interesting.

Super Sons #5 - Another great issue.It's an epilog to the first arc, and one that establishes what the status quo will be going forward. This book is a delight, and everyone needs to read it. I want these characters to become so beloved and intrinsic to their respective franchises that they will be safe from any further continuity wonkery. The comic book limbo can feed on Wally's kids forever, as far as I'm concerned. Damian and Jonathan need to stay around forever.

Silver Surfer 12 - Another fantastic but sad issue as this series winds down with grace and poise. Dawn realizes the consequences of her bad choice, and then makes the same bad choice again. I would like to point out that "leaves Earth for the last time" could mean what leaps to mind, or it could mean that the next time she returns to Earth, she will stay there for good and never leave it.

New Books:

Shirtless Bear Fighter #1 - Another great light book. Totally ridiculous. A baby is raised by bears, and heps them fight off human encroachment. One day something happened that we don't see this issue, and he dedicates his life to fighting bears. He is... Shirtless Bear Fighter! Also, he is naked all issue. And he has a VERY large... pixelated area. In this issue a bear (who has laser vision or something, but no one seems to find that worth commenting on) wanders into Major City and goes on a rampage. An FBI agent named Burke decides to track down the one man who can help: his old friend Shirtless. Every time he punches a bear, the sound effect is BEAR PUNCH!

Oh, and Shirtless' house is sided with bear pelts, and his bear-plane is covered in bear skins. You will definitely enjoy this, if it is the kind of thing you enjoy. I'm in for a bit at least, to see if it finds a sustainable groove, or if it's just a cute concept that can't bear too much weight.

Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man #1 - And it's Chip Zdarsky's new Spider-Man! It's a lot of fun. He straight up admits in the text piece that this book exists to have a Spier-Man book with an easy entry point available when the new movie comes out. It's a fun, accesible story that features Johnny Storm and Ant-Man in various parts. It introduces a new love interest maybe. And it's all filled with that Zdarsky humor. If you feel like they are trying a little too hard in Sex Criminals, you will be pleased to know that it is dialed back to an appropriate level for a product like this. Or maybe its the lack of Matt Fraction causing them to escalate together. At any rate, it's a delightful old school, funny take on Spider-Man. I'm in for the long haul. (The long haul being until some crossover derails it and I walk away in disgust.)

Still unread: Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #9, and maybe the first issue of Gail Simone's Crosswind, from Image.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #932800 07/02/17 07:04 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Flash #25 - An interesting take on Reverse Flash. A long overdue cliffhanger that promises not to dance around the ethical implications of Barry's decision (or non-decision). DC is 2 for 2 on the big 25th issues I've read so far (I read Aquaman 25 but didn't write about it. It was good.)

Teen Titans #9 - I prefer the Super Sons take on Damian, but these series is still fun but not essential. Fortunately for this book, my Marvel titles are dropping like flies, so there's not much pressure to prune my DC list. This is my first regular exposure to this Aqualad. I have no idea how this meshes with the pre-Flashpoint version, but I like the Black Manta twist. It would have been even more interesting in a world in which Manta still killed Aquaman's son.

Kamandi Challenge - this title continues to be a delight, but not in a way that leaves me with anything interesting to say about individual issues. Odd for a book with a different creative team every issue. Unlike the first DC Challenge, this is holding together very well as a whole. I look forward to seeing them (hopefully) stick the landing.

Wonder Woman #25 - As with his first run, this one ends with a literal Deus Ex Machina wrapping things up neatly for the next team. I was lukewarm to most of this run, but I felt like the end of "The Truth" left us in a very interesting place going forward. It remains to be seen how much of Rucka's take will survive the upcoming musical chairs runs. It was an interesting ride with some definite good points, but I can't really say I recommend it in what wound up being it's finished form.

Saga - Another great issue. A trip to "Abortion Planet" continues to push the envelope, but in a way that feels very character driven and thoughtful, rather than say... Garth Ennis. My favorite moment was Hazel's freak out at the thought of being separated from her parents. That's definitely a kid with some issues boiling away under that lid.

Haven't gotten to Astro City or Mother Panic yet.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #932899 07/03/17 11:13 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Some thoughts on your thoughts:

Absolutely with you 100% on Super Sons. You can cosign my name those statements.

I love Silver Surfer so much that I've been putting off reading #12. I just don't want it to end and the idea of a new creative team one day taking control of the Surfer and inevitably ruining the Dawn / Surfer dynamic is heartbreaking. It's my favorite Marvel romance in years. (Decades probably).

I agree that Flash #25 was great and so was Aquaman #25 and Green Arrow #25. I hadn't realized DC was making a coordinated effort for the 25 issues launching each series into its next "phase" but it certainly seems that way. And each one has been so good that it reaffirms that the first year of stories brilliantly set up each series and restored the franchises to glory, and now they are moving forward perfectly.

I'm also loving Kamandi. Like you say, it's hard to comment on each issue other than I'm just enjoying the fun filled ride. Great character, great premise for a series and each creative team is going all in to show their stuff.

I was pleased with how Wonder Woman wrapped up. Rucka and Co. actually gor me to be invested in both the Cheetah and Veronica Cale, to where I now eagerly look forward to their next interactions with Diana. WW herself has not been written this good in forever, and Steve and Etta are fantastic. Like you say, I eagerly await what's next. The series is in a better place for the next phase than possibly ever before.

Glad to see Saga return. It's hard to find new ways to praise this series other than it's gotten even better than ever. With the cast dealing with the trauma of the last arc's ending, the story is chalk full of subtext, humor, drama and action. It's so good that it makes all other series have to be that much better.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #932974 07/04/17 07:57 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I'm sad about the cancellation of Silver Surfer as well, but I've learned to lean into the ending of comics/shows that I like, at least the ones who have enough notice to end well. To revive the Doctor Who analogy, part of what makes the great Doctor/companion combos so great is the bittersweet knowledge that they will eventually come to an end. If the foreshadowing in Surfer is any indication, Slott and Allred will be ending the relationship on their terms in a way that honors it, rather than leaving it to the next writer to fridge Dawn.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #933008 07/05/17 09:00 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. I’ve very much enjoyed how companies have allowed creators to end their runs (and series) on their own terms over the last two decades, rather than the ‘dead stop’ mentality that was so prevalent. Sandman was a big game-changer in that way, with Starman and Ostrander’s Spectre to follow, and all three showed how allowing the creators to end things on their terms can be so critical.

Still, I am sad to see Silver Surfer go. I’m trying to savor these final issues as much as possible.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,853
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
My Whee Fem
My Whee Fem
Security Office Lobby
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star