Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 03/27/24 07:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legion Tryouts - Dragonmage
#930328 05/31/17 01:09 PM
S
Set Online Content OP
Long live the Legion!
OP Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
As the applicant before him spectacularly flames out, requiring an emergency team to put out the literal flames, Xiao forces himself to continue concentrating on his spell, conjuring the forces that he will need for his own tryouts, scheduled to begin in moments. He was supposed to have more time! Who could have predicted that Lady Brimstone would lose control of her warps and nearly immolate the proceedings? The fourth season, Winter, is finally manifest as a black globe of floating energy, just in time, as Dream Girl calls his name, "Xiao Jin, from New Shanghai Colony?"

He rises, the four glowing ovoids of energy, blue, red, white and black, accompanying him as he descends to the tryout area before the dias, where his judges sit. "I understand you wish to go by the name Dragonmage?" Dream Girl begins before trailing off, gracefully offering him a chance to expound further.

"Yes, Ms. Nal," Xiao says with a small bow of his head in her direction, noting the rise of her eyebrow as he calls her by her family name, in keeping with the traditions of his homeworld, instead of her super-hero sobriquet. "As you likely know, New Shanghai Colony was founded after the third 'World War' here on Earth, by Chinese nationals who feared that Earth would soon be destroyed, and humanity become extinct, if there was ever a fourth world war." he begins, "Fortunately, our ancestors were wrong, and Earth yet thrives. The power of the dragonsoul ran in my family for many centuries, here on Earth, but did not always manifest in every generation. On New Shanghai Colony, it never manifested, and some feared that by abandoning the mother planet, we had severed that connection, until it manifested in me, for the first time in two hundred years, and not just in me, but in my mother and sister as well, the first time it had ever manifested in more than one person in a generation, or in a male of our bloodline."

Xiao has warmed to his topic, of family and tradition, but he feels the need to speed things along, as the Legionnaires known as Ultra Boy and Shrinking Violet are visibly bored, while Dream Girl's face seems frozen in polite attentiveness, and the Durlan Chameleon Boy's face reveals nothing, seeming almost devoid of life, more mannequin than man.

"My mother and sister helped train me in sorcery and alchemy, and working together, we have unlocked power from our dragonsoul." He finishes somewhat abruptly, gesturing expansively at the four spheres floating at his sides. A word in Mandarin, "Kun Gen" and they merge together into a larger golden sphere, which promptly explodes into mist that covers the ground knee-deep in the training area, and from which a great dragon with metallic golden scales, easily larger than a grizzly bear of Earth, erupts with a roar. Xiao is somewhat pleased to hear a yelp of surprise from one of the other applicants behind him, as he had hoped to make a suitably dramatic impression. Of the Legionnaires before him, Dream Girl's expression is studied non-surprise, and Chameleon Boy's face remains an expressionless mask, but Shrinking Violet is nodding her head approvingly, and Ultra Boy scowls, "Dragons. Great."

Xiao turns and bows to the combatants selected for him to demonstrate his abilities, the Legionnaire Colossal Boy, and their Science Police liaison, Gigi Cusimano. Their eyes are wide, and they look at each other dubiously as Xiao says, "I am ready to demonstrate my proficiency in non-lethal combat, at your convenience," with a small bow and a smile, in their direction.

"Right," mutters Gigi, looking dubiously at the staff in her hands, and the great dragon before her. "I've got the reach, I guess I'll keep big scaly busy while you beat up his boyfriend."

Gim gives her a look, but shrugs and moves towards Xiao, short batons twirling in what might normally be an intimidating display, but seems less impressive when there's a dragon the size of a small vehicle in the way. Gigi lunges forward and smacks the dragon on the cheekbone, causing it to rear back in reflexive surprise at how close to its eye she has struck, and Gim takes advantage of this to dash forward and begin striking at a shocked Xiao, who barely gets his arms up to protect his face from the barrage of quick strikes, falling back as he does. The clanking sound that follows reveals to all watchers that his forearms have armored sleeves, saving them from a vicious bruising.

The dragon has recovered from its initial surprise, and a scaly claw surges forward to grab Gigi, who pushes off of the incoming attack with her quarterstaff, throwing herself back, but also off-balance, as the dragon's strength is far greater than her own. She's quickly pinned as the large reptile shuffles forward, a single taloned paw gently pressing her to the ground. With her one free arm, she smacks the forelimb of the beast to no effect, and then attempts to pry one of its claws away, to loosen its grip, again, to no real effect. The vast beast chuckles deep within its throat, and a deep yet surprisingly feminine voice from within it rumbles through her, "Yield, tiny morsel."

Gigi trembles involuntarily, shocked that the creature can speak, and is about to yield when she suddenly realizes that if she does, Gim will have to face both Xiao *and* the dragon, and that as long as the combat is non-lethal, if she does not yield, the dragon has to remain here, holding her. And so Gigi settles in to wait, twisting slightly to get a better view of the combat between Gim and Xiao. The dragon sighs, and twists its head as well, apparently also eager for a better view.

Xiao is at his wits end. Gim has the advantage of reach, strength and experience, as well as additional reach from his batons. It's all Xiao can do to not be summarily beaten, avoiding attacks and backing away, unable to effectively counter attack. Finally he calls out in Mandarin, and the great dragon he calls 'Center' leans its head down to the ground and rumbles out a cry that everyone present can feel in their bones. Mist explodes from the dragon's body, and with its breath, it propels the mist in a rush directly towards the combat between Gim and its conjuror, so that both of them disappear into the fog.

The clattering sound comes again from the mist, followed by a heavy thud of expelled air as someone hits the ground, and moments later, Gim's voice can be clearly heard, "I yield!"

In the mist, Gim is on his back, the slight frame of the young applicant barely visible leaning over him and pressing a metal-sleeved forearm to his throat. "So, you can see through this fog?" Gim says resignedly. "Yes sir," Xiao says, flush with this turn of events. He rises and helps his momentary adversary to his feet, both of them still shrouded in richly loam-scented mist, like overturned soil.

Up on the dias, Violet has adjusted her viewscreen to infrared, and can clearly see what has transpired within the mist, while Jo leans over to view her screen, perhaps unwilling to spend the time adjusting his own screen. Lacking such screens, the other applicants remain in the dark as to what has happened, other than having heard Gim yield. Dream Girl speaks up, "Can we do something about this fog?"

With a great whooshing sound, the fog flies back into the dragon, re-absorbing into its golden scales, as if it had never been, and Ultra Boy remarks, "Now that's handy."

"And I yield, too." Gigi says, exasperated at having been ineffective at keeping the dragon busy, as the great creature carefully lifts its paw, and she uses one of its extended talons to pull herself to her feet.

Shrinking Violet is the first to speak, as Gim and Gigi recover their weapons and step away from the tryout platform. "That's a neat dragon, and all, but she's kind of big, and you won't be able to bring her everywhere. Also, I noticed that you took several minutes to summon up those energy globes that you used to summon him, and the Fatal Five aren't going to give you those minutes."

"Once I summon the energies, or dragons, they can remain for hours, or all day, and not all of them take up quite as much room, or are as difficult to use in close quarters, or problematic in mixed company." Xiao says, gesturing as he does so, pronouncing more words in Mandarin, "Zhen! Li!, Qian! Kan!"

The great dragon Kun Gen dissolves into mist and reforms into the four energy 'eggs,' only to immediately burst apart into four small dragons, little larger than eagles. The blue orb Xiao names Zhen forms into a brown and blue dragonling, more like a serpent with scales of wood and blue-tinged thorns snaking through the air with many leaf-like wings adorning it's length, diminishing in size along its body. The red orb, Li, becomes a dragon that resembles a prehistoric animal, a reptile covered with bright red feathers on its crest, wings and tail, moving in a frenzy of motion through the air. The white orb, Qian, become a third dragon, also more serpent than reptile, with white metallic scales, black stripes on its wings, and a head like a tiger, while the final orb, the black orb named Kan, becomes a black carapaced tortoise-like dragon, marked with patterns like white frost, whose wings are sail-like fins from the side of its shell and continuing along its thick tail, that undulate as if the creature is swimming through the air. 'Kan' settles quickly to the ground, landing with a clatter and a heavy thunk, apparently not entirely comfortable in flight, like its brethren.

Xiao signals that he is ready for the next phase of the tryout, and the combat droids lumber forward and begin to arm their taser-blasters, as the four dragonlings leap at them.

The combat droids AI's recognize Dragonmage as the primary threat, and ignore the dragonlings, aiming blasts at their master, forcing Xiao to dive and roll, while Li swoops gracefully to intercept a stunning blast of electricity that would have found its mark. The red feathered dragon falls to the ground heavily, legs twitching, and bursts into flames before dissolving into a reddish mist that flows back into Dragonmage as he rolls to his feet again. The remaining three dragons reach their targets, and Qian lands on the head of one of the droids, belching forth a cloud of glittering metallic particles that cause immediate decay and corrosion, like fast-acting rust, to begin on the droids head. Its arms raise to blast the offending creature, but the damage is too fast and too severe, and it freezes in place before slowly toppling over, it's head a ruin of decayed alloy and plasteel. Zhen, barely larger than an eagle, albeit one covered in wooden scales and dark blue thorns, hovers in place while breathing forth a blast of wind that proves insufficient to throw the bulky combat-droid off-balance, but staggers it sufficiently that the freezing cold breath of Kan, crouching on the ground, creates a chunk of ice freezing one of its legs to the ground, and it falls back with a clash, before being overwhelmed by a combination of wind, ice shackles forming on one of its blasters and the decaying breath of Qian dissolving the other. In seconds, the combat, such as it is, is over, and Xiao, breathing heavily, stops his frenzied movement, no longer needing to dodge taser-blasts.

"Ok, that's cool!" admits Ultra Boy, while Chameleon Boy shoots him a look before asking, "I presume the red dragon could breathe fire, and was not seriously harmed?"

"Correct on both points, sir," Xiao says with a small bow as Zhen and Qian flutter towards him, the black tortoise-shelled winter dragon Kan remaining to hiss and snap at the defunct droid. "And the dragons are manifestations of my dragonsoul, not living biological creatures, so even if one appears to have been killed, it simply dissolves and rejoins my own personal energy field, so that I can recall it as soon as I can spare the time."

Reep nods, seeking no further clarification. Dream Girl takes this moment to speak up, "You've chosen the name Dragonmage, and mentioned training in sorcery, do you have other mystical abilities, beyond these dragon-creatures?"

Xiao bows his head again to the silver-haired Deputy Leader of the Legion, "My studies are just beginning, but I can levitate somewhat, with concentration, and project my dragonsoul for an effect much like astral projection. I can also open my third eye, to see auras, which, among other things, allows me to see living creatures through the mist generated by the Center dragon, Kun Gen, as well as to detect possession, see through some illusions and spot imposters..." While he speaks, Zhen and Qian float and drift at his sides, while Kan trundles to him and leaps with a flutter of its sail-like wings to settle into his arms, where its tail and head immediately droop and hang limp, as if it is a dead thing.

At this point, Violet, who has been tracing lines with her fingers on the screen in front of her, apparently uninterested, perks up, "Really." The four Legionnaires before Xiao suddenly go dark, as she stabs a button in front of her, hidden behind an opaque privacy screen. Moments later, Violet steps out of the privacy screen on the left side of the dias, and Violet again steps out on the right side of the dias! The two Violets move towards him with an identical economy of movement, to stand before him with a hand on hip, in a confrontational pose. "One of us," says the Violet on the left, "is Shrinking Violet." "The other," says the Violet on the right, "is not."

Xiao nods slightly to the twin 'Violets' before him before taking a deep breath and closing his eyes. Unseen to those in the room, a third glowing eye opens wide on his forehead, gold and green and slitted like that of a vast reptile. "On the left, I see a figure who thrives on challenge, seeing every obstacle as something to rise above." His head turns, although his eyes remain closed, "On the right, I see a swirl of colors, many faces in one, but at the core, like a steadfast rock rising from a tumultuous sea, is a changeless form, eternal and sure of itself. Clearly, you are the shapeshifter, and," he turns to the left, his eyes finally opening, "you are Miss Digby." The Violet on the left grunts and turns away, and the Violet on the right shudders, her facial features seeming to crawl and shift as 'her' skin darkens and her body swells into the larger frame of Chameleon Boy. Xiao involuntarily steps back, disturbed by the visceral nature of Chameleon Boy's transformation, and, third eye still open, sees colors of amusement ripple through the Durlan's aura, indicating that Chameleon Boy is far from offended by this reaction.

"Congratulations," Chameleon Boy says, extending a hand. As Xiao takes his grip, relieved to feel a hand as solid seeming as any humanoid hand, Ultra Boy speaks up, "Uh, we still have to vote, Cham..."

Chameleon Boy's eyebrow raises and his lip quirks as he turns back towards his teammates on the dias, "Oh yes, what was I thinking. Mustn't get ahead of ourselves." On the back of his head, where his teammates can't see it, a second smaller face appears, facing Xiao, and winks conspiratorially before whispering, "I can read body language. You're in, kid," before sinking back into the Durlan's skull, as if into water.

Xiao is unsettled by the appearance and disappearance of the face, so much so that it takes a few seconds for the words to register. 'I am to be a Legionnaire!' he finally realizes, and is overwhelmed by a surge of pride, and relief, that leaves him feeling faint and flush and weak at the knees, all at once. His face freezes and it actually aches to restrain the smile that tugs at his features, but his dragons are not so restrained, and Zhen and Qian begin an impromptu dance, chasing each other through the air above his head, while Kan looks up sleepily from his arms and huffs a frosty disapproval. 'Such unseemly exuberance,' it thinks, before closing its eyes again and settling back into the warmth of Xiao's arms.

I'm a huge fan of the *idea* of Dragonmage, but wanted to go somewhere new with him. And so here's a version that goes somewhere kind of new, adopting ideas from the five Chinese elements, and their associations with the seasons. This was totally inspired by Ibby getting me all up into Chinese mysticism and numerology and stuff!

Last edited by Set; 10/19/20 11:22 AM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Re: Legion Tryouts - Dragonmage
Set #930330 05/31/17 02:06 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Pretty cool tryout Set.
Dragonmage is a really interesting character and can be taken into so many different directions. I was surprised that Gim didn't take on the dragon and grew bigger than it. But i liked Ggig trying. her reactions were funny.
The imagery is really cool too with the different dragons and i like the history you gave him. The Shanghai Colony sounds like it would be an cool to visit to see what survived culture wise from their Exodus from Earth.

Each of the test were cool and i liked how Vi and Chameleon devised a plan to test the other powers of his.
Vi and Jo getting board and then entertained by the giant dragon was funny.

The tying in of the five elements and using the dragons to represent them and the elements was cool. i like the look of Kan, the turtle looking one and those ice icicles forming on the droid. "white frost" on the shell sounds like it would be so beautiful looking.

Vi and Chameleons test was also well done and i liked Chameleon's little face at the end telling Xiao he's in and knows it because he can read body language was funny too.
You've got a good mix of action and humor which i really like.

looking forward to more of your try-outs.

Last edited by Omni; 05/31/17 02:10 PM.

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Set #930390 06/01/17 02:12 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Yay, Set is writing again! laugh

I dig this take on Dragonmage....it stops him from being quite so much a plot device character as magic users can be, with limitations to what he can do. I like the dragons displaying their own personalities too, and the visual description with the mist and the different colorations.

Omni #930393 06/01/17 04:51 AM
S
Set Online Content OP
Long live the Legion!
OP Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Omni
Pretty cool tryout Set.
Dragonmage is a really interesting character and can be taken into so many different directions. I was surprised that Gim didn't take on the dragon and grew bigger than it. But i liked Ggig trying. her reactions were funny.

Thanks! As for Gim not size-changing, for the tryouts fics, I try to stick to a set format, and Gim doesn't use his powers (and Gigi doesn't use a blaster), as the 'challenge' is to non-lethally (and, ideally, non-*harmfully*) subdue a pair of human(ish) combatants. The droids are to let those with the appropriate destructive powers to cut loose and show what they can do when lethal force is an option.

I did have fun with Gigi just gritting her teeth and charging the dragon, knowing that, unless it was an illusion or something, she was totally overmatched. smile

The Shanghai Colony sounds like it would be an cool to visit to see what survived culture wise from their Exodus from Earth.

Yeah, I have been reading some sci-fi with ethnic Chinese colonies recently, and like the idea of some traditionalists fleeing the planet to escape the various calamities befalling the earth regularly.

looking forward to more of your try-outs.

My other Tryouts fics are here, if you've missed any. Thanks again for the feedback!

Last edited by Set; 06/01/17 04:57 AM.

razsolo #930394 06/01/17 04:56 AM
S
Set Online Content OP
Long live the Legion!
OP Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by razsolo
Yay, Set is writing again! laugh

Heh, I have been, off and on, but it's a slog, and this is one of a couple of drabbles that have demanded to be ejected from my brain so I can get back to the big story. smile

I dig this take on Dragonmage....it stops him from being quite so much a plot device character as magic users can be, with limitations to what he can do. I like the dragons displaying their own personalities too, and the visual description with the mist and the different colorations.

It's all Ibby's fault, for getting me all tangled up in Chinese mysticism and the five elements (which I kind of already was, but the idea of tying it to Dragonmage was all inspired by him!).

I wrote it super-fast, and already see a few details that got dropped while I was writing it, so I need to go back and touch it up. I had intended to reference Gim's fighting style as including elements of krav maga, and to have the 'Winter' tortoise dragon shrug off a hit, displaying a bit more resilience than the 'Summer' dragon that got one-shotted. Somewhere between firing up the computer and typing furiously to get this stuff out of my head, those bits fell to the wayside, I guess!

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by Set; 06/01/17 04:57 AM.

Set #930399 06/01/17 05:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Awesome, Set! and thanks for the shout out, glad my sharing of Eastern mysticism helped inspire you. and you write fast, I only shared that link with you a couple days ago!

I like how you use a sort of present tense in your writing, makes it seem like events are unfolding in front of us.

Great take on Dragonmage's powers, they are much more defined and would differentiate him well from Mysa for example.

Excellent characterization of the Legionnaires, from Jo wearing his expressions openly, Violet and her skepticism, Cham and his wink wink you are in! moment, Nura's control, Gim's confidence and Gigi's tactical smarts. wow, just wow.

Invisible Brainiac #930413 06/01/17 09:58 AM
S
Set Online Content OP
Long live the Legion!
OP Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Awesome, Set! and thanks for the shout out, glad my sharing of Eastern mysticism helped inspire you. and you write fast, I only shared that link with you a couple days ago!

Thanks! At least some of the idea (the mother and older sister, for instance) came from an abandoned thought for the Marvel character Dragon-Lord, who died during the Skrull invasion that followed the first Civil War / Registration Act, and whose son was said in-story to be carrying on his legacy, while his wife and older sister just sort of stood around. That bugged me, that the legacy was just assumed to go through the men in the family, so I wanted to mix that up and make a female character who inherited his dragon-summoning powers. But Dragonmage was just begging for that instead, and much less ambiquously 'Asian' (Dragon-Lord was written sort of Chinese, but had a made-up 'real name' composed of Japanese and Hindu elements, it seemed), making it much easier to fire up the Google for inspiration.

Great take on Dragonmage's powers, they are much more defined and would differentiate him well from Mysa for example.

Always a concern of mine with magicians, who, even when introduced with a static powerset, like Sargon the Sorcerer or the White Witch, tend to evolve quickly into 'I wave my hands and *anything the writer wants* happens.'

Excellent characterization of the Legionnaires, from Jo wearing his expressions openly, Violet and her skepticism, Cham and his wink wink you are in! moment, Nura's control, Gim's confidence and Gigi's tactical smarts. wow, just wow.

Thanks much! This is one of the things I like about this format, is that everything but the fight scene and which four Legion 'judges' I'm going to characterize, is already set.

Set #932394 06/25/17 01:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This is great fun Set.

Nice how you've given Dragonmage actual limits for his abilities, with actual dragons associated to them; he doesn't just shoot dragon shaped zaps!

Sweet that he's the first guy to have access to the Dragonsoul, that puts a nice twist on it.

Also, very impressed that unaided by a dragon he could get Gim to yield!

The four little dragonlets were cool, particularly like that one had a tigers face, somehow that sounded really cute to me.

Vi and Cham's test was clever, checking that he could do what he said. And, Cham's welcoming handshake and congratulations were well deserved.

Sweet characterisation of the dragons too, with one not joining in the exuberance. That made me smile.

Really enjoy your writing Set, and as always I'm looking forward to more, more, more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Harbinger #932396 06/25/17 02:15 PM
S
Set Online Content OP
Long live the Legion!
OP Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Harbinger
This is great fun Set.

Thanks!

The four little dragonlets were cool, particularly like that one had a tigers face, somehow that sounded really cute to me.

IIRC, the four seasonal critters are supposed to be the red phoenix, the black tortoise, the white tiger and the blue dragon, so I tried to give each of the little dragons characteristics of the animal associated with them (feathered wings for the fire dragon of summer, the white dragon of autumn is associated with tigers, metal and decay/dessication, the blue dragon of spring with wind, wood and thorns, and the black dragon of winter with the tortoise and cold and ice, as well as with the western concepts of phlegmatic, sanguine, choleric and uh, the other one..., so I also wanted to have their personalities reflect that, with the fiery bird-like summer dragon being impetuous and energetic, and the tortoise-like black winter dragon be sleepy and disinterested).

Mainly I just wanted to see Dragonmage in the 'classic' Legion continuity, since he kind of got shortchanged by being name-dropped in Legion of Three Worlds as someone that Mordru had killed, before we ever got to see him!

Really enjoy your writing Set, and as always I'm looking forward to more, more, more!

Thanks again!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,269
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star