Roll Call
1 members (Alexander, Alexander, Alexander, Alexander), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/28/24 01:12 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 12:20 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 11:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:44 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SEVEN FROM OZ
#932507 06/27/17 07:41 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
It is apparent that the Land of Oz exists (or, at least, used to exist) in the DC Universe.
(The Oz-Wonderlsnd War, Jan-Mar 1986)

The following characters are not to be found in the fourteen Oz books by L. Frank Baum, but are based on characters and races which are found therein.

All of their various characteristics, powers, and abilities spring from magical roots.

Possibly they are native to the 31st century.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Re: SEVEN FROM OZ
Klar Ken T5477 #932508 06/27/17 07:45 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
(1) The Were-Woozy

Aimelia is a little Munchkin girl. Like nearly all people in the fairyland of Oz, she is a faery. Unlike everyone else, she is a Were-Woozy, capable of transforming from her human appearance into a Woozy, with all its attendant abilities. She also is able to assume an intermediate, half-Woozy form.

“The [Woozy] was all squares and flat surfaces and edges. Its head was an exact square, like one of the building-blocks a child plays with; therefore it had no ears, but heard sounds through two openings in the upper corners. Its nose, being in the center of a square surface, was flat, while the mouth was formed by the opening of the lower edge of the block. The body of the Woozy was much larger than its head, but was likewise block-shaped--being twice as long as it was wide and high. The tail was square and stubby and perfectly straight, and the four legs were made in the same way, each being four-sided. The animal was covered with a thick, smooth skin and had no hair at all except at the extreme end of its tail, where there grew exactly three stiff, stubby hairs. The beast was dark blue in color and his face was not fierce nor ferocious in expression, but rather good-humored and droll.”

"My skin is so thick and tough that nothing can get through it to hurt me, said the beast. "I’m a very swift runner, for I can overtake a honey-bee as it flies; and I can jump very high, but I can’t climb at all.”

"Can you dig?" Ojo asked.

"No," answered the Woozy, "for I have no claws. My feet are quite flat on
the bottom of them. Nor can I gnaw away the boards, as I have no teeth. When I growl, the sound echoes like thunder all through the valleys and woodlands, and children tremble with fear, and women cover their heads with their aprons, and big men run and hide. I suppose there is nothing in the world so terrible to listen to as the growl of a Woozy. Only when angry do I utter my fearful, ear-splitting, soul-shuddering growl. Also, when I am angry, my eyes flash fire, whether I growl or not."

"Real fire?" asked Ojo.

"Of course, real fire. Do you suppose they’d flash imitation fire?" inquired
the Woozy, in an injured tone.

-- see [i]The Patchwork Girl of Oz[i]

[Linked Image]
THE WOOZY

Last edited by Klar Ken T5477; 06/27/17 07:48 PM.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Klar Ken T5477 #932509 06/27/17 07:47 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
(2) The Nome Princess

All the Nomes appearing in any of Baum’s fourteen Oz books are male, but there must be female Nomes as well, nicht wahr?

Rübezahl is a female Nome, and claims to be the daughter of one of the Nome kings.

Nomes are immortal creatures who live in caverns beneath the earth's surface.

Rather round and not very tall. their toes are curly and their ears broad and flat. They are the as grey and brown as rocks, and their shapes are as rough and rugged as if they had been broken away from the side of a mountain. They can cling to the surface of rock as a fly does to a window-pane.

The underground world is as transparent to them as if it were made of glass, they are able to move through rock and soil as a man walks upon the surface of the earth, as a bird flies through the sky, or as a fish moves through water. They guard the precious metals and jewel stones that lie buried in rock and ore. They know instinctively the location of each seam and stone.

It might be supposed that a Nome’s coloring would serve as a sort of camouflage, as their natural coloring blends in so well with the rock they live in. However, Nomes prefer bright coloured clothing, often decorated with shining gemstones, and gold and silver thread, making them quite visible even in their dim caverns.

Eggs are poisonous to Nomes.

-- see Ozma of Oz, The Emerald City of Oz, Tik-Tok of Oz, Rinkitink in Oz, The Magic of Oz

[Linked Image]
NOMES

Klar Ken T5477 #932510 06/27/17 08:05 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
(3) The Fighting Tree

Dadoro is a Fighting Tree, one of the grove that borders the southern Land of the Quadlings, and protects it from strangers.

Most of the grove is quite old, but Dadoro is a young sapling, recently grown to replace one of the old snags. As such, he has the ability to uproot himself, and move about, and has used that power to explore the world before settling down to root.

"The Scarecrow, who was in the lead, walked forward to the tall tree where there was an opening to pass into, but just as he came under the first branches they bent down and twined around him, and the next minute he was seized by the long braches and raised from the ground and flung headlong among his fellow travelers. This did not hurt the Scarecrow, but it surprised him, and he looked rather dizzy when Dorothy quickly picked him back up and padded his straw to even out the lumps under his clothing that was caused by the fall."

It is generally assumed that Glinda the Good, the Witch of the South, placed the Fighting Trees on her borders in order to protect her lands, and the exotic creatures and communities that dwell there.

"This little girl," said the Scarecrow to the soldier, "wishes to cross the desert. How can she do so?"

"I cannot tell," answered the soldier, "for nobody has ever crossed the desert, unless it is Oz himself."

"Is there no one who can help me?" asked Dorothy earnestly.

"Glinda might," he suggested.

"Who is Glinda?" inquired the Scarecrow.

"The Witch of the South. She is the most powerful of all the Witches, and rules over the Quadlings. Besides, her castle stands on the edge of the desert, so she may know a way to cross it."

"Glinda is a Good Witch, isn't she?" asked the child.

“The Quadlings say she is good," said the soldier.

― see [i]The Wonderful Wizard of Oz[/b]

[Linked Image]
FIGHTING TREE (WITH SCARECROW)

Klar Ken T5477 #932511 06/27/17 08:05 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
(4) Kid Kalidah

"They are huge and monstrous beasts with bodies like bears and heads like tigers," replied the Lion, "and with claws and fangs so long and sharp that they could tear me in two as easily as I could kill poor little Toto. I'm terribly afraid of the Kalidahs!"

Kalidahs eat any sort of meat, including human and faery; they are intelligent, and enjoy conversing with their meals before eating them, although they are otherwise ill-tempered and unsociable, with a cruel sense of humour. An adult Kalidah is about the size of a small elephant; being only a child, the creature known only as Kid Kalidah is much smaller. Kalidahs have no use for proper names.

― see [i]The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The Patchwork Girl of Oz, The Magic of Oz[b]

[Linked Image]
A KALIDAH

Klar Ken T5477 #932512 06/27/17 08:06 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
(5) [u]Frog-Boy[u]

The Frogman of Oz gained his size and intellect from the magical Skosh Plant in the plateau country of the Yips. Anouropaus assumedly gained his size and intellect in the same manner. As he is only Froglet, he is smaller in stature than the famous Frogman, but he exhibits the same great strength (at least in his legs), great intellect, and sense of sartorial fashion.

“The skosh not only made the frog very big so that when he stood on his hind legs he was as tall as any Yip in the country, but it made him unusually intelligent, so that he soon knew more than the Yips did and was able to reason and to argue very well indeed. The Yips had never seen a frog before, and the frog had never
seen a Yip before, but as there were plenty of Yips and only one frog, the frog became the most important. He did not hop any more, but stood upright on his hind legs and dressed himself in fine clothes and sat in
chairs and did all the things that people do, so he soon came to be called the Frogman, and that is the only name he has ever had.”

“The Frogman's usual costume consisted of knee-breeches made of yellow satin plush, with trimmings of gold braid and jeweled kneebuckles; a white satin vest with silver buttons in which were set solitaire rubies; a swallow-tailed coat of bright yellow; green stockings and red leather shoes turned up at the toes and having diamond buckles. He wore, when he walked out, a purple silk hat and carried a gold-headed cane. Over his eyes he wore great spectacles with gold rims, not because his eyes were bad, but because the spectacles made him look wise, and so distinguished and gorgeous was his appearance that all the Yips were very proud of him.”

“The Frogman went to the edge of the gulf and with his eye carefully measured the distance to the other side."Being a frog,” said he, "I can leap, as all frogs do, and being so big and strong, I am sure I can leap
across this gulf with ease. But the rest of you, not being frogs, must return the way you came."

"Well," said the Frogman, "I will now bid you goodbye. If I find your diamond-decorated gold dishpan, I will promise to see that it is safely returned to you."

"But I prefer to find it myself!" said Cayke the Cookie Cook. "See here, Frogman, why can't you carry me across the gulf when you leap it? You are big and strong, while I am small and thin."

“The Frogman gravely thought over this suggestion. It was a fact that Cayke the Cookie Cook was not a heavy person. Perhaps he could leap the gulf with her on his back. "If you are willing to risk a fall," said he,
"I will make the attempt."

“At once she sprang up and grabbed him around his neck with both her arms. That is, she grabbed him where his neck ought to be, for the Frogman had no neck at all. Then he squatted down, as frogs do when
they leap, and with his powerful rear legs he made a tremendous jump. Over the gulf they sailed, with the Cookie Cook on his back, and he had leaped so hard--to make sure of not falling in--that he sailed over a lot of bramble bushes that grew on the other side and landed in a clear space which was so far beyond the gulf that when they looked back they could not see it at all.”

― see [i]The Lost Princess of Oz[b]

[Linked Image]
THE FROGMAN (AND DOROTHY)

Klar Ken T5477 #932513 06/27/17 08:07 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
(6) The Young Yookoohoo

Yookoohoo witches are a powerful and dangerous sorceresses who specializes in transformations, using a strange and obscure type of magic. Both known Yookoohoo witches in Oz hail from the Gillikan country. They are able to alter their own appearance, but seldom do. Rather, they prefer changing the forms of others for amusement, malice, revenge, or profit.

Yookoohoo witches tend to be both wealthy and isolated. They enjoy their privacy and comfort. Their magic is both natural to themselves, and requires practice and study to master. Both known Yookoohoo witches use magical aides in their transformations.

Yoopette is a third Yookoohoo witch, apparently a young girl (although this may not be her true form). It is presumed she is the daughter or descendant of Mr. and Mrs. Yoop, who were 20-foot-tall giants. As Mrs. Yoop was a Yookoohoo witch, this may not be their natural forms.

Yookoohoo witches are able to transform any living creature into the form of any other living creature. This ability is powerful and comprehensive: Reera the Red famously transformed Polychrome, the Rainbow’s Daughter, a diaphanous but powerful faery, into a mundane yellow canary.

Yookoohoo magic is notoriously difficult to reverse, requiring both great magical power and great magical knowledge.

Yoopette has not yet completely mastered her magical abilities. She uses a locket to effect her transformations, but this probably only increases and augments her powers, rather than being the source of them.

The Sorceress Glinda the Good, ruler of the Quadling Country, considers magical transformation to be unethical, even immoral, as it necessarily involves deception. She believes things out to be left in their natural state and appearance.

“I never deal in transformations, for they are not honest, and no respectable sorceress likes to make things appear to be what they are not. Only unscrupulous witches use the art."

-- see The Tin Woodman of Oz, Glinda of Oz, The Marvelous Land of Oz

[Linked Image]
MRS. YOOP

Klar Ken T5477 #932514 06/27/17 08:08 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
(7) The Water of Life

Dr. Ozwalt Pipt, the crooked magician, is the creator of the patented Powder of Life. It takes several years to make even a small batch of this powder, and requires some fairly rare ingredients. Once created, the powder is able to grant permanent animation to any inanimate object, including the gift of speech. However, Dr. Pipt has had bad luck with it, exchanging batches for worthless concoctions from other magic-makers, or wasting another batch in animating unwanted objects.

“At one end stood a great fireplace, in which a blue log was blazing with a blue flame, and over the fire hung four kettles in a row, all bubbling and steaming at a great rate. The Magician was stirring all four of these kettles at the same time, two with his hands and two with his feet, to the latter, wooden ladles being strapped, for this man was so very crooked that his legs were as handy as his arms.”

"‘Gone--gone! Every bit gone,’ he cried.

“Ojo was sorry for him. He went up to the sorrowful man and said softly: ‘You can make more Powder of Life, Dr. Pipt.’

"‘Yes; but it will take me six years--six long, weary years of stirring four kettles with both feet and both hands,’ was the agonized reply. ‘Six years!’“

-- see The Patchwork Girl of Oz

A batch of the Powder of Life was once accidentally spilled into a small pond. A portion of the water in the pond came to life, forming itself into a manlike shape. Calling itself Proteus, after the ancient Greek deity, the water-being eventually discovered that while the Powder of Life had been dissolved into his watery body, it still retained some magical power. Any object small enough for him to envelop can be temporarily brought to life. The personality and attributes of such temporarily animated objects are dependent upon their appearances and constituent elements.

Proteus himself has a mercurial and ever-changing temperament; it is almost impossible to predict how he will react to any given situation.

[Linked Image]
DR. PIPT

Klar Ken T5477 #932515 06/27/17 08:09 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
(8) The Tin Goat (Mascot)

Ku-Klip is a Winkie Tinsmith who migrated to Munchkinland. He is responsible for the construction of Nick Chopper (the Tin Woodman), and Captain Fyter (the Tin Soldier).

At some point, he also constructed [b]Muncher[/u], the Tin Goat, by the same methods. While the Tin Woodman and Tin Soldier are not designed to eat, the Tin Goat is. He is designed to eat scraps of tin, tin cans, and so forth. He is therefore also a Tin-Cannibal. He has the ordinary intelligence of an Ozite Faery Goat.

(Note: While described as made of tin, it is clear that these metal beings are made of iron coated with tin. Both Nick Chopper and Captain Fyter are notoriously susceptible to rust when exposed to damp conditions, and need to keep their joints well-oiled. Tin, of course, does not rust, and is used to prevent corrosion in iron. It is notable that it is the joints, susceptible to wear (and the loss of tin coating), which are most in danger of rusting. The Tin Woodman is therefore essentially Iron Man 1.O.)

[Linked Image]
THE TIN GOAT

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,290
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Legolas
Legolas
on the lam!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star