Roll Call
1 members (Jfposey, Jfposey, Jfposey), 11 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/18/24 02:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: THE 29 RIOTS!
thoth lad #898991 06/06/16 06:09 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
38. Doesn't this thread have a "No Ties" thing? Obviously a set up so that Teeds can unleash the Xotar and re-introduction of the JSA covers at poor, unsuspecting readers. It's not even like picking a favourite between two children. Most parents secretly have a favourite or can replace the kids with others, who they do like. This is a much, much tougher choice...

CO-CHAIR OF THE 13/30 COMMITTEE!

Leap Year Lord #899037 06/07/16 09:19 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
53. Comic Cavalcade: Considering the look Supes and Bats are sharing on Finest, all teenage boys should be running away. Over on Cavalcade, Wondy is putting in some flurrying overtime against a machine gun. Having the cannons not link into the action is a bit lame, but I can't argue with them being a huge draw for the reader. Oh, and there's the chance of some action in the pages, and not a pathetic super race.

54. Boy Meets Girl: All those romance comics, trying to angst up relationships. Boy meets Girl shows us what it's all too commonly like in the real world. Friends say to me "If I had a dollar for every restraining order..." or "I can't believe my selfish personality and halitosis drove another one away..."

That's all I hear, because I get up and leave, telling them "It has to be this way!" That's something I picked up from Falling in Love. But why does it have to be that way? is the next line "Because I'm your brother Leia, and I must go to the Jedi Academy"? "Because I'm really the circus gorilla, and times have been hard since DC cut back on ape covers"? Intriguing! And that's what a cover should be.

55. Unwritten: Two clunkers for me. Just because the cover is artificially aged, doesn't mean it has any of the oomph of real noir novels of the period. How great can Catwoman be if she's reduced to pinching wallets at her own party? How secretive can she be if everyone knows she's a thief? No idea what I'm supposed to be getting from the cover. I suppose the Vertigo one is trying to evoke something...

56. The Thing: The Thing smashes his own logo in another issue of Marvel's obsession with wrestling. Supes Law has a play with a familiar catchphrase. Although the actual issue of Supes Law will be oodles more entertaining, the smashed logo gets the visual cover win.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #901420 06/28/16 06:08 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
41. ACTION! Yellow! Red! Blue! Green! Detective: has a scratchiness I don't like.

42. GREEN LANTERN! Look at that arc, both the wave and the incipient lute swing.

43. HOWDY DOODY. Extra technique, plus more of a joke (even if a well-worn one).

44. F4. Because I like the stars & planets & stuff.

45. CINDERELLA LOVE. On Diary Secrets, the frame of the barn door is too frame-y and there's a stagey feel. CL is almost a cliche, but you could see it happening.

46. REGGIE AND ME. While I enjoy ye olde fads of Patsy & Pals (and the juvenile delinquents who are in classic wear, ha!) is this comic insulting its potential buyers?

47. GODLAND. A lil weird. OK.

48. SPACE WAR for its colorfulness and lite psychedelia.

49. GEORGIE cause the outfit is cute.

50. AUTHENTIC POLICE CASES. Can Biro win over Baker? I don't think so.

51. HIT.

52. HTD.

Leap Year Lord #901761 07/02/16 04:25 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
53. WORLD'S FINEST. I prefer the cohesive pic.

54. FALLING IN LOVE. "We must part...!" is far more romantic than DON'T TOUCH ME. And why is she dressed like a baseball?

55. CATWOMAN.

56. THE THING. Speed lines, logo busting, and drool.

57. CLASSIC X-MEN. Creep E! Although I must say I'd be more inclined to pick up that issue of Badger (just to see what it's about) with that cover rather than some action shot.

58. ZOT! Floaty!

Leap Year Lord #904343 07/31/16 10:51 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
9. All-Star Comics - the line work is blocky and it's Capt Unibrow, but it still definitely works for me.

10. Lovelorn - I would actually enjoy finding out what happens here. And I hope it's along the lines of "don't put your life on hold for anyone, sister!"

11. Super Comics - better background and color "pop"!

12. Marvel Team-Up - perhaps for the novelty of a Torch team-up instead of Spidey.

13. Horace and Dotty Dripple - when dad and daughter are in on it together it lends a certain charm.

14. Journey into Mystery - love the layout here! Very dynamic placement!

15. Heckle and Jeckle - the very simply choice of one of them being upside down gives the cover a much more balanced and pleasant feeling. Really well done!

16. Ghosts - it's not just being a good image. There has to be a story being told on the cover and Ghosts is doing that better here.

17. Flash Comics - the other one is a great Captain Triumph cover for sure, but this is a rare early Hawkgirl cover where both Hawks are kicking ass.

18. Madame Xanadu - wonderful series full of great covers and this is no exception.

19. Losers - really creative way to use the logo, which gives it the win.

20. Strange Suspense Stories - the artwork looks grimy and rough, suggesting the story within is the same. That, combined with the copy, make me want to read the issue.

21. Star Trek - wonderful cover that I've never seen before. Love the giant red moon centering the background.

22. Abbot and Costello - there's no real scenario where I'd buy this over the Golden Age Flash, but I can't deny that the cover is both very striking and also effective in conveying the sensibilities of the franchise. It looks very modern in a way, as part of the current "retro" movement.

23. Strange Adventures - both are really terrific but this SA one is a longtime fave. The danger leaping towards the reader gives the added drama.

24. Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man - a longtime favorite, I absolutely love this storyline. The peril Spidey is in on the cover nicely portrays the very high stakes in the story.

25. Master Comics - Captain Marvel Jr beating Hitler with a belt? Yeah. That wins it.

26. Unusual Tales - it's simple, but the lack of severity of it all underscores how unusual such a thing would be.

27. Strange Tales - precode Atlas trying to ape EC always provided some gruesome images and this one is enjoyably horrific. Amazing in a few years (months?) such an image would be unthinkable.

28. The Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves - wonderful Ditko layout with dramatic and psychological faces on the people. As much as I like the BOP, how many splash images did they have in the last run? Now, a BOP cover employing some Ditko sensibilities would be really great.

Leap Year Lord #911005 09/28/16 12:38 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
57. Badger. I've no idea why Arcade is a recurring character. He's like cheap carnival knock off of the Joker. Who builds his stuff? Who supplies it? No, I'll stick with Badger.

58. Zot: Zot illustrates that the more realistic the backdrop, the sillier people in costumes look. Althugh Weird Science Fantasy shows us that neaderthals were wiped out by time travelling Aryan space people, it doesn't fit the rocket into the scene. It should be in the background. Will our hero escape? Is he just on a trip to kill a few cave people on a stop over? Questions that remain unanswered as it's just on a side panel. So, it's a win for Zot.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #932665 06/30/17 03:15 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally Posted by Thriftshop Debutante
Wait too long and you'll be put in charge of the Thirties AND the Thirteens. Simultaneously.

CONGRATS CRAMES, COMMITTEE CHAIRWOMAN FOR THE THIRTEENS AND THIRTIES! Don't worry, you get the indecisive, the wafflers, and the sassmouths to round out the group. Like Peebs. And Set. And Lash. THAT'S RIGHT, Lash isn't off the hook. Get a shovel & Brother Voodoo and get Hot Zombie Lash to work! (Make sure to add "yes your hair looks great!!" time into the schedule.)

Originally Posted by thoth lad
38. Doesn't this thread have a "No Ties" thing? Obviously a set up so that Teeds can unleash the Xotar and re-introduction of the JSA covers at poor, unsuspecting readers. It's not even like picking a favourite between two children. Most parents secretly have a favourite or can replace the kids with others, who they do like. This is a much, much tougher choice...

CO-CHAIR OF THE 13/30 COMMITTEE!

Well, where are the 13s/30s, tie sassmeisters? You're very overdue.

Leap Year Lord #983368 03/23/20 05:01 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
38. This is still so tough! It's not the first JLA appearance, and it's not the first JSA appearance in the JLA. But look at the roboty action in B&B! Look at the hammer they felt they had to give Aquaman to make him effective! The robot's yellow, because GL could just "will" anything in those days. Has the Flash been hit?!
But then look at the JLA cover! A reprise of the first time the JLA summoned them. The stern experience of the Earth-2 crimefighters and Fate's powers breaching universes go genuinely shock the JLA! Look how the B&B robot spreads across the cover from the left! Look at that metallic paw, about to crush Lantern! Look how Fate's is central in the JLA cover!

How can I pick a winner? Still thinking...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,842
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Suddenly Seymour
Suddenly Seymour
Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star