Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 06:19 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Reboot - 04/19/24 04:18 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Batwoman (Kate Kane)
#515082 10/19/12 12:44 AM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
Personally, I think it's one of the worst books at DC right now--GORGEOUS art covering up for what's quickly become slow, plodding, mundane, hackneyed, and tired writing. I would KILL to see a new writer take charge of this book, so we can actually have Kate do something fun and interesting for the first time since Rucka left the book.

#515083 10/19/12 01:36 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Jay Kay:
Personally, I think it's one of the worst books at DC right now--GORGEOUS art covering up for what's quickly become slow, plodding, mundane, hackneyed, and tired writing. I would KILL to see a new writer take charge of this book, so we can actually have Kate do something fun and interesting for the first time since Rucka left the book.
Let's not leave out how flat-out confusing it's been with the crappy execution of the nonlinear storytelling method they used, especially on the last arc. Yep, the secret ingredient missing from Batwoman is Greg Rucka. It's a shame DC had to go and piss him off.....

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#515084 10/19/12 01:40 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I posted elsewhere I dropped it for about 10 issues because JH Williams never draws on it anymore ... and then picked it up when he drew an issue ... and it seemed at the same point as when I left it!

shake

Besides ... IMO ... Its fairly redundant with Batgirl ... and I didn't like how they threw the original Batgirl (Bette) under the bus to make Kate look better and have some motivation.

Which is really too bad because this was one of the DC Reboot books I most anticipated ... along with Batgirl.

#515085 10/19/12 05:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Originally posted by Jay Kay:
[b]Personally, I think it's one of the worst books at DC right now--GORGEOUS art covering up for what's quickly become slow, plodding, mundane, hackneyed, and tired writing. I would KILL to see a new writer take charge of this book, so we can actually have Kate do something fun and interesting for the first time since Rucka left the book.
Let's not leave out how flat-out confusing it's been with the crappy execution of the nonlinear storytelling method they used, especially on the last arc. Yep, the secret ingredient missing from Batwoman is Greg Rucka. It's a shame DC had to go and piss him off..... [/b]
Which means I will probably love it on a single sitting reread. "Non-linear" never seems to go well in a monthly. "plodding" has unfortunately been a fit word for a several of my post 52 pick-ups, most of which I dropped by now.

#515086 10/19/12 05:12 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I dropped it awhile back. It just didn't have enough good for me to overcome all the tired writing. I probably collected it three issues longer than I really wanted to because I really wanted to keep following Kate Kane. But it wasn't enough.

Flash suffers from the same problem though its a little better. Phenomenal art & craftsmanship; slow writing with not enough 'oomph'.

Ps - agree that Rucka was the secret ingredient. At the end of the day I'm more interested in following him than Kate.

#515087 10/19/12 05:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
BB, I've seen "nonlinear" done well in monthly books with no or minimal confusion. Here, I think they were using the method to try to spice up what was a pretty unremarkable story by trying to play up perspectives. I seriously doubt reading it all together would improve it much at all.

Of course, I'm far from unbiased about this, having dropped the book a few months back. Not even the return of JHW3 could lure me back. (Also wasn't please that Amy Reeder was canned as alternate artist, either.)

#515088 10/21/12 06:53 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Flash suffers from the same problem though its a little better. Phenomenal art & craftsmanship; slow writing with not enough 'oomph'.

ugh, Flash didn't have nearly enough writing at all! Most comics now spread the story out over 4 issues but Flash's story was much thinner than most. I read about 10 issues and got maybe 2 issues worth of story.

The guy is fast as light ... and yet ... the story ... is .... so ... sloooowwww.

#515089 10/21/12 08:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Positive reviews for issue #13:

5 Atoms

5 Skulls

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#515090 10/23/12 01:40 PM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
I completely disagree with the comparison to Flash--The Flash started out kinda decompressed, but after the first arc, it's had a lot of fast, strong stories reintroducing the Rogues Gallery while moving forward a couple of key sub-plots (like Patty, the police captain, and so on). Batwoman, on the other hand, has basically been telling the same story for well over a year at this point, in a way that's infuriatingly slow.

Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
#18- Granted, Trevor McCarthy is no JHW3, but his fill-in arcwork has been passable (Though I feel Amy Reeder got a raw deal...) But his storytelling... *cringe*! The two pages where Kate fights and takes out Mr. Freeze... What am I looking at...?! The non-traditional panel shapes notwithstanding, none of the action flow makes sense! BLAH! tongue

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm still loving this book. The new storyline has started, and is off to an exciting start. Batwoman's family and friends totally have her back. That may not be a good thing.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09...-allowing-her-marriage-to-maggie-sawyer/
http://www.jhwilliams3.com/archives/1826

Originally Posted by J.H. Williams III and WH Blackman
Dear Batwoman readers -

From the moment DC asked us to write Batwoman — a dream project for both of us — we were committed to the unofficial tagline “No Status Quo.” We felt that the series and characters should always be moving forward, to keep changing and evolving. In order to live up to our mantra and ensure that each arc took Batwoman in new directions, we carefully planned plotlines and story beats for at least the first five arcs well before we ever wrote a single issue. We’ve been executing on that plan ever since, making changes whenever we’ve come up with a better idea, but in general remaining consistent to our core vision.

Unfortunately, in recent months, DC has asked us to alter or completely discard many long-standing storylines in ways that we feel compromise the character and the series. We were told to ditch plans for Killer Croc’s origins; forced to drastically alter the original ending of our current arc, which would have defined Batwoman’s heroic future in bold new ways; and, most crushingly, prohibited from ever showing Kate and Maggie actually getting married. All of these editorial decisions came at the last minute, and always after a year or more of planning and plotting on our end.

We’ve always understood that, as much as we love the character, Batwoman ultimately belongs to DC. However, the eleventh-hour nature of these changes left us frustrated and angry — because they prevent us from telling the best stories we can. So, after a lot of soul-searching, we’ve decided to leave the book after Issue 26.

We’re both heartbroken over leaving, but we feel strongly that you all deserve stories that push the character and the series forward. We can’t reliably do our best work if our plans are scrapped at the last minute, so we’re stepping aside. We are committed to bringing our run to a satisfying conclusion and we think that Issue 26 will leave a lasting impression.

We are extremely thankful for the opportunity to work on Batwoman. It’s been one of the most challenging and rewarding projects of our careers. We’ll always be grateful to everyone who helped us realize 26 issues: Mike Siglain, who brought us onto the project originally; Greg Rucka for inspirationally setting the stage; our amazing artists Amy Reeder, Trevor McCarthy, Pere Perez, Rob Hunter, Walden Wong, Sandu Florea, Richard Friend, Francesco Francavilla, Guy Major, Dave Stewart, and Todd Klein; Larry Ganem, for listening in tough times; and editors Mike Marts, Harvey Richards, Rickey Purdin, and Darren Shan.

And most of all, a huge thank you to everyone who read the book. Hearing your voices, your reactions, your enthusiasm every month was such a joy, so humbling, so rewarding. You guys rock! Because so many of you embraced the series, we were able to complete four arcs, and your passion for Batwoman encouraged us to push ourselves to do our best work with each and every issue.

Thank you for loving Batwoman as much as we do.

Goodbye for now,
Haden & J H

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Everyone should have seen this coming a long time ago.

Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I was SO ready to drop this... in fact, I'd logged into my DCBS order and removed the most recent issue solicited as of that announcement. But I'm sticking with it to see what Marc Andreyko can do with Kate and her cast. He writes excellent female leads... his Manhunter was on of my favorite books of the 'Aughts.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
The art on early issues kept me around. I thought the first story promised an awful lot more than it delivered on the writing front. I think a lasted less than a dozen issues.

No intention of picking up the book with another creative team. DC's shifting plots ant the last second is just another reason I don't think the quality produced is worth the money.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving

Last edited by Pov; 10/07/16 06:30 AM.
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
It occurs to me, Epting has returned to DC at the perfect moment. The Dark Ages appear to be well and truly over. And while I hope he'll have a long and substantial run on Batwoman to at least equal his runs on Avengers and on Captain America, I do recall Epting saying in an interview a few years ago that he'd love to be given a second shot at Superman (recall that he was assigned the Superman flagship book -- with Dan Jurgens as writer, unfortunately -- only to be taken off from it within less than a year due to editorial and creative shake-ups on the Super-Franchise; Epting, with Jurgens still in tow, was shuffled over to Aquaman, which had already been in a sales tailspin even before Peter David left, followed by Erik Larsen doing irreparable damage as Aquaman writer; the Epting/Jurgens Aquaman was certainly nice to look at, but as for the stories...well, it was Jurgens. Understandably, Epting then jumped aboard the Crossgen train, and now he's come full circle.)

I'd like to see Epting do a Supes-related mini-series or OGN on the side, but with a writer worthy of his talent. Perhaps a World of Krypton kind of deal? And given how special Epting's talent for drawing women who look idealized and real at the same time is, perhaps a look at some little-known heroine from ancient Kryptonian legend, almost forgotten like so many Real Life ancient heroines have been? Or maybe even a closer inspection of the relationship dynamics between Jor-El & Lara Lor-Van during the last few years before Krypton exploded? Oh, the possibilities!!

But for now, I'll just sit back and enjoy Batwoman.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So with the first arc of Batwoman completed, I can say that I thought it was fantastic! Epting's art was as wonderful as I knew it would be and the overall story was actually really good! It introduced a lot of new elements to Kate Kane's story that are rife for revisiting, and it definitely showed Batwoman in a way that makes her unique and unlike any other members of the Bat-Universe. I think it was a great opening arc to the series.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 07/06/17 02:10 PM.
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm excited to hear this, especially with how well Kate was used in the first arc of Detective in the Rebirth launch. I'll definitely be getting this trade when it comes out. From what I've read myself and from the buzz around the stuff I haven't read yet, it really seems like the Bat books are knocking it out of the park!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,848
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
thinbalion
thinbalion
Arlington, VA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star