Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/29/24 03:38 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: DC Comics Rebirth
Sarcasm Kid #930890 06/05/17 11:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Interested to see how they reprinted Suicide Squad's "Black Vault" issues. Do they keep the Jim Lee story together and then the backups, or do they alternate? I assume the later because some of the backups inform the main stories.

Sarcasm Kid #931851 06/15/17 09:56 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Guys I'm trying to remember but when Rebirth's titles were first announced wasn't there a book called "The Super-Man?" And no I don't mean New Super-Man this was a separate thing.

Sarcasm Kid #931863 06/16/17 08:11 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Focusing on a Chinese teenager named Kenan Kong who gains a portion of Superman's power. The title was previously announced as The Super-Man but was changed once Yang came onboard and pointed out that there is no Chinese word for "the".

(From the Wikipedia article).

Sarcasm Kid #932217 06/22/17 08:04 AM
Active
Active
A couple of questions from someone who gave New52 a hard pass.

What is Lex Luthor's deal? I'm reading the pre-Reborn Superman stuff with power suit Super-Lex, but I don't know how seriously to take his possible heroism.

What about the New Gods? I know Darkseid was around, and assumably his evil cronies. But what about the good new Gods? What, in particular, about Mister Miracle, who is about to get a new Maxi-series. How much 52 baggage will come with that?

Can anyone tell me the current whereabouts and status of Cassie, Connor and Bart? Don't break my heart by telling me the stories I've caught snippets of and refused to explore. I just want to know where they are right now, and if they are in a position to return, or at least set in a happy situation in limbo.

Finally, I kind of want to read a series starring Red Hood, Artemis, and BIzzaro. Can any recommend an appropriate medication to make that go away?

ETA: Am I a bad person if I think replacing the white in Hawk's costume with grey was a really great change? Not praising any other aspect of the art, and I know nothing about the story. But I do find that one color change really sharp.

Last edited by Brain-Fall-Out Boy; 06/22/17 08:11 AM.
Sarcasm Kid #932228 06/22/17 12:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Luthor scammed his way onto the Justice League during Forever Evil. It's been pretty inconsistent as to whether his intentions are genuinely good and he's just too "Luthor" to get over himself, or if he has ulterior motives. After Rebirth, the portrayal has been that he truly believes he's a hero, but he's also still arrogant, mistrustful, and has a mean streak. He's had little internal dialogue that conclusively says he's got more nefarious motives.

New Gods have been a mess under Johns, so I hope it's mostly ignored. Darkseid was a punch/kick brute with a bunch of henchmen, and the New Gods exist as sort of Powerful Aliens more than Gods (or so it seems to me). Mr. Miracle showed up the help the heroes of Earth-2, but I'm not sure what his status is. Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor threw down and were both seemingly destroyed (I think).

Kon-el (Don't know if he was called Conner) was created by NOWHERE as a weapon, rebelled, defected to the Teen Titans and after much craziness, is now basically walking the Earth learning different meditation and enlightenment techniques.

Cassie is Wonder Woman's niece (her father is a demi-god named Lennox), and gets her powers from her "Invisible Armour", not sure of her status.

Bart Allen is amnesiac criminal from the future (real name Bart Torr), He was sent to the past as sort of a witness relocation thing (They also wiped his memories and gave him a new personality). When the truth was revealed he had difficulty reconciling his conflicting lives. He ultimately went to future prison, but later appeared back in the present with a grudge against Tim for leaving him there. He's still floating around somewhere.

With luck, a lot of this can be negated/revised after "Reborn" (although according to the Super-books, Conner definitely was nowhere to be found in "Reign of the Supermen")

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #932229 06/22/17 12:20 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
There is the question of who's being referred to as Tim's fellow prisoners in the September Detective Comics solicit,,,

• DETECTIVE COMICS #965
    Written by JAMES TYNION IV
    Art by EDDY BARROWS
    Cover by EDDY BARROWS
    Variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

“A Lonely Place Of Living” part one! It’s the story you’ve demanded: Where in the world (or otherwise) is Tim Drake? Red Robin faces a crossroads…escape the most devious prison ever devised, or find himself abandoned beyond time and space for all eternity! Not much of a choice, right? But when he finds out just who is locked in there with him, Tim’s world will change in ways he never imagined! This is one of the biggest stories of the REBIRTH era, setting the stage for an explosive DETECTIVE COMICS epic!

On sale SEPTEMBER 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Given that the entirety of the rest of the core YJ lineup has been MIA throughout Rebirth, speculation naturally occurs.

Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
Finally, I kind of want to read a series starring Red Hood, Artemis, and BIzzaro. Can any recommend an appropriate medication to make that go away?

Not really. It's a decent series.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Sarcasm Kid #932285 06/23/17 08:56 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
So are they gonna tell us what happened to the real Tim or is witness protection boy still it.

Reboot #932305 06/23/17 01:55 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Reboot
There is the question of who's being referred to as Tim's fellow prisoners in the September Detective Comics solicit,,,

• DETECTIVE COMICS #965
    Written by JAMES TYNION IV
    Art by EDDY BARROWS
    Cover by EDDY BARROWS
    Variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

“A Lonely Place Of Living” part one! It’s the story you’ve demanded: Where in the world (or otherwise) is Tim Drake? Red Robin faces a crossroads…escape the most devious prison ever devised, or find himself abandoned beyond time and space for all eternity! Not much of a choice, right? But when he finds out just who is locked in there with him, Tim’s world will change in ways he never imagined! This is one of the biggest stories of the REBIRTH era, setting the stage for an explosive DETECTIVE COMICS epic!

On sale SEPTEMBER 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Given that the entirety of the rest of the core YJ lineup has been MIA throughout Rebirth, speculation naturally occurs.

Not really. It's a decent series.

3 things:

I had never even considered the rest of the Young Justice crew might be MIA with Tim. That would fantastic!

I also recommend Red Hood & the Outlaws. It was a pleasant surprise, and has been consistently good.

And lastly, in reference to a bunch of other posts, I know some readers like for the continuity to make sense and I don't blame you (as I was like that for a long, long time) but I personally have ignored anything pre-Rebirth. Whatever the status of Lex, the New Gods, Conner, Cassie, Bart, etc. was prior to Rebirth #1 in my mind didn't happen. It'll only have happened once they sort out those characters back stories going forward. So if the new Mr. Miracle maxiseries totally ignores John's depiction of Mr. Miracle in the DCnU, then that would be The Tits.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 06/23/17 01:55 PM.
Sarcasm Kid #932322 06/23/17 05:26 PM
Active
Active
I'm actually cool with the continuity changing. After all, I sat out most of New 52 for a reason. I'm just unsure what stories inform the current ones and which don't. And the fact that so many stories are built around continuity, it makes me more aware. I keep saying this, but when the characters themselves keep talking about how they can't keep their own continuity straight, it makes it hard for me to just relax and go with the flow.

Still, I'm enjoying a bunch of books enough to make the effort, which is more than I can say for a long time.

Sarcasm Kid #932359 06/25/17 02:44 AM
Active
Active
Little did I know that had I read the very next arc in Action, my Luthor question would have been answered.

Sarcasm Kid #932585 06/28/17 08:52 PM
Active
Active
I finally got through Superman Reborn. I've had a real love/hate with the Rebirth Super-books. There's a lot to like, especially in Action. But it will surprise no one that the continuity stuff drove me crazy. I've been hanging on in the hopes that post-reborn books will keep what I like and back off what I didn't. The New World was perfect: enough of a general outline that I feel like I'm grounded in this version of the character, without getting bogged down in the minutiae. I wish Titans would do a story like that, it would help me relax and go with the flow more. I'm very hopeful going forward.

I may give New Superman another go. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't get through the first issue. It may have just been the mood I was in at the time.

Sarcasm Kid #933021 07/05/17 12:43 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
BFOB and I have been talking about it in his review thread, but I wanted to reiterate over here that one thing I've enjoyed lately is that all of the series that are reaching the 25th issue benchmark have been having fantastic 25th issues. It appears as if DC is making a concerted effort to move each series to its next phase, with some interesting and potentially great stories to come. For the first year, they basically established the tone and set-up of each series and for the most part did a great job telling some great stories. Now with things 'set up', they're pushing even further.

Examples of this are Batman, Superman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow and Green Lanterns, all of which had excellent 25th issues. All (4) are really fantastic series and all of them are the best they've been so far right now. This really is a new DC: rather than blow their load at once, they've actually gotten better, even when they started off great.

Meanwhile, I read a shitload of comics over the 4th of July weekend, and during that spree I caught up on the last few issues of Cyborg. I can't reiterate enough how great this series is. When you visit Bleeding Cool or other comic book "news" websites, they blather on and on about diversity, etc. (as if this hasn't been a topic of serious discussion since the late 80's); yet right now DC has the very best POC lead character series in comic books and it gets almost no press. Well written, great art, incredible world-building of cast & enemies, and all the qualities needed for a superhero to take his place among the iconic members of the JLA.

I also have been loving the DC Annuals over the last year. Most notably, the recent Wonder Woman Annual was terrific, as was the Batman Annual a few months ago. In both cases, it took an anthology approach with 4-5 short stories, and most of the stories were really good. I love anthologies and I love short stories but often they can be used for filler--definitely not the case here and another indication that somehow, someway, DC started to 'get it' again when it comes to telling great superhero stories.

Sarcasm Kid #933333 07/09/17 11:25 AM
Active
Active
So I think I am nearing the end of my Rebirth experiment 2.0. New titles I have added, mostly thanks to all of you: Action, Superman, New Super-Man, Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash. Technically Teen Titans, but I had already decided to give it another go leading into the Lazarus Contract storyline. Detective was a very near miss, but I ultimately decided it didn't QUITE make the cut, mostly just down to how long my list is. The last books I'm considering giving a spin: Red Hood and the Outlaws, mostly for Artemis, Trinity, and maybe Green Arrow.

I do notice that Aquaman has switched to monthly. Is that down to sales? Deathstroke is as well, but that always seemed to be an odd choice for twice-monthly anyway.

ETA on Bleeding Cool: I agree that they are better at talking the talk on diversity than walking the walk, but I don't think the fact that it's been brought up since the 80s detracts from the importance of discussing it today. If the industry had fixed the problem in the 80s no one would HAVE to discuss it today. And as recent Marvel comments have shown, it's often two steps forward one step back.

Last edited by Brain-Fall-Out Boy; 07/09/17 11:29 AM.
Sarcasm Kid #933453 07/10/17 03:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ok I picked up the first TPB of Red Hood & the Outlaws based on the discussion on here...

I liked it. I had to reread it just to make sure. The art flows well, the action is solid, the voices come through. It's a good little book.

I also picked up Green Arrow vol 2. WOW there is a LOT going on here. Really get a lot of meat on the stories, and I like that.

Sarcasm Kid #933609 07/11/17 11:26 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Time for the long-awaited (?) next batch of Rebirth TPBs I read most recently.....

Titans Vol. 1: The Return of Wally West is where you go if you want to know what happens next to Wally after his featured role in the DCU Rebirth one-shot. Wally decides to next try to reconnect with his former teammates in the Titans. He succeeds, but the reunion is immediately crashed by an old foe of both Wally's and Barry's. It turns out this foe is apparently responsible for Wally's timeline displacement and is seeking a final revenge against Wally. Well, the reunion feels a little weird because this isn't exactly the Titans we remember. For one thing, Lilith is kind of shoe-horned in as a (presumed) founder. Plus, though Wally was definitely close to his fellow Titans, he was almost always a reluctant member whom memorably left the team during the build-up to the Judas Contract. As the Flash, though, he was a model JL member, so his Titans membership seems more secondary. Anyhow, the bulk of the story is the Titans running around in circles against this foe and his juiced-up dopplegangers of the Titans' younger versions. So for a trade containing 7 issues of this story, it kinda wears. But in the last couple of issues, Dan Abnett channels some of his best Mark Waid-era Wally and brings home something that hearkens back to that era nicely. Honestly, if you're a fan of that Waid run on Wally, it's hard not to get a little misty as he pushes himself to save his friends and the woman he loves in an impossibly tight window and then faces possibly paying the ultimate price for having to push so hard. I'd say that this positive combined with my other reservations makes the trade a pretty good Wally West story but only a so-so at best Titans story.

Suicide Squad Vol. 1: The Black Vault is one I wasn't going to pick up based on word of mouth. I ended up getting it as part of a package deal, so I read it anyway. The Squad is put together to find and confiscate a mysterious weapon of mass destruction from a Russian underwater prison. In the process, they meet a similar team to oppose them and discover that the WMD is more than they ever imagined. It seems the story was tailored to allow artist Jim Lee to complete on schedule, originally serialized as lead stories with solo character back-ups by other artists. So the lead, titular main story is, like, 50-60 pages maybe. I guess you can say it's not decompressed, at least, but it's kinda light for a headliner of a TPB. The characterization is not all that compelling, and the story/mission is not exactly complex. It's pretty much an actioner with an obligatory (though shocking) death. And a plot device in the form of an inside character is introduced who pretty much singlehandedly saves the day. Just not a read that lives up even close to the foundation that John Ostrander laid for great Suicide Squad stories decades ago. Maybe that's unfair, but it's the angle I come into this from. Plus, Jim lee on art ain't what he used to be. It's clear that he either did mostly rough pencils to allow his army of embellishers to finish because he just can't produce, or his style just isn't all that timeless. And I'll say it: Harley Quinn and her supposed and ill-defined skill-set just doesn't fit in with the rest of the group. The back-ups are better stories overall, but they don't save this trade from being any more than a mediocre package overall. I'd have to hear high recommendations about the subsequent stories to give Vol. 2 a go.

Deathstroke Vol. 1: The Professional is one of those Rebirth collections I've been chomping at the bit to get to because of the high recommendations here and among various professionals--plus I'm a big fan of what I feel is Christopher Priest's masterwork to date, his run on Black Panther.The fact that Slade isn't exactly a character I gravitate toward was not a concern because Priest did wonders with T'Challa, and I had no previous affinity for that character either. Priest, when he's at the top of his game, writes dense, smart stories that bring out the essence of the characters he writes, and that's exactly what he does here. Slade is pretty much the enigmatic, cool-as-cucumber bad-ass he's always been, but the supporting cast brings depth and context to the enigma (much as was done with T'Challa). Priest's scripts demand your full attention because every single detail is there for a reason which will be revealed or called back when you don't expect it and shows that everything is part of the greater design. It can be frustrating if you're used to your comics being light reads almost entirely driven by action pieces, but if you want depth and nuance in your funny books, Deathstroke is for you. The action and characterization is laced with a mixture of politics, conspiracy with a healthy dose of flashbacks to paint current events with some needed context. Plus, Slade matches wits with Batman and Damien in a way that is refreshingly unexpected, emphasizing tactics and psychology over the physical. The art, which is primarily pencilled by Joe Bennett and Carlos Pagulayan is very clear, dynamic and expressiveand blends in well between their issues and the other artists. I also like that it is pencil-and-ink, rather than the pencils-to-colors that is so prolific these days. This book needs grit, and pencil-to-ink serves that well. Biggest drawback is that DC made the inexplicable decision to hold off on the final 2 chapters of this arc until the next trade. It's frustrating because the story is now artificially incomplete, and many of the Rebirth trades contain what would have been the necessary 8 issues to complete the story; this one has 6. I can only presume that the next arc isn't long enough, so DC decided to leave those issues to make that one fuller. So the content is excellent but frustratingly incomplete which keeps this trade from being the best it could be.

Batgirl Vol. 1: Beyond Burnside ended up being the best of this batch and is another in the feather of the Bat-Office's cap, which has yet to disappoint me. Despite the title, writer Hope Larson continues the great work that Stewart, Fletcher and Tarr started with their popular revamp of the character that directly preceded this run. The main difference is that Barbara is on a kind of sabbatical to Japan, China and other nearby countries to kind of give herself a break and pursue the legend of an Asian heroine called Fruit Bat, who'd been active many decades earlier. Along the way, she runs into a new love interest who she knows from her childhood in Chicago and gets caught up in both his shady dealings and a larger crime ring that deals in some very unusual product--something that is refreshingly different and specific to a foreign culture. Larson uses Barbara brilliantly in a way that distinguishes this as a Batgirl story and not just one that's interchangeable for any other hero to star in. She wisely features what is distinctive about her from the other Bat-characters--not her fighting style or gadgets but her photographic memory--which features heavily in the story's resolution. And just like in the prior run, Barbara is not infallible; she makes some mistakes and takes her share of lumps. But she perseveres in the end, and you are both entertained and enlightened in the process. You're with her all the way and privy to all her hopes, fears and foibles. I've never read Hope Larson's work before to my knowledge, but this is a more-than-excellent first impression. The sole artist throughout the story is Rafael Albuquerque. He's an artist I've loved on Vertigo's American Vampire, but it's a revelation that his artwork transitions so well from a horror book to a light superhero book. Along with Liam Sharpe on Wonder Woman, his is the best work to grace any Rebirth book to date. Instead of finding some Babs Tarr copycat, a wise decision was made to bring in Rafael to truly usher in a new chapter in Barbara Gordon's life. While I don't think he continues beyond this arc, I'm really glad he chose to take the assignment. He won't be pidgeon-holed into just a certain type of book, for sure. Really, a delightful but far from simplistic book!

So let's update my rankings, shall we?

Best of the Best--WANT MORE NOW!!!

Aquaman
Flash

Awesomesauce!!

Batman
Detective Comics
Batgirl
Deathstroke

Really Good, Will Def Continue!

Green Arrow
Superman
Green Lanterns
Nightwing

meh. May or may not continue

Wonder Woman
Action Comics
Hal Jordan and the GLC
Titans
Suicide Squad

Where's the Incinerator?

Justice League

So Titans, I could have ranked higher, but I felt it was so much more of a Wally West story than a Titans story, that it was hard to recommend as such. Plus, it certainly had it's cliche elements and felt a little drawn out. Deathstoke could have been a "Best of the Best" because of its overall high quality, but DC's odd choice to not complete the arc in the trade downgraded it to the point where it could have even gone down to "Really Good", but cooler heads prevailed. Suicide Squad, for the record, is the lowest of the "meh" books and least likely of them to be continued by this reader. But it wasn't quite down to Justice League lows and therefore deserving of incineration.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Sarcasm Kid #933610 07/11/17 11:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm currently doing a period of floppy reading for the next week, but after that, my next Rebirth batch of four are next to read. They are:

Cyborg
Hellblazer
Batgirl & the Birds of Prey
Green Arrow Vol. 2 (my first Rebirth follow-up!)

Lard Lad #933637 07/12/17 08:28 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
As always, I love reading your reviews of the Rebirth trades!

Originally Posted by Paladin

Titans Vol. 1: The Return of Wally West is where you go if you want to know what happens next to Wally after his featured role in the DCU Rebirth one-shot. Wally decides to next try to reconnect with his former teammates in the Titans. He succeeds, but the reunion is immediately crashed by an old foe of both Wally's and Barry's. It turns out this foe is apparently responsible for Wally's timeline displacement and is seeking a final revenge against Wally. Well, the reunion feels a little weird because this isn't exactly the Titans we remember. For one thing, Lilith is kind of shoe-horned in as a (presumed) founder. Plus, though Wally was definitely close to his fellow Titans, he was almost always a reluctant member whom memorably left the team during the build-up to the Judas Contract. As the Flash, though, he was a model JL member, so his Titans membership seems more secondary. Anyhow, the bulk of the story is the Titans running around in circles against this foe and his juiced-up dopplegangers of the Titans' younger versions. So for a trade containing 7 issues of this story, it kinda wears. But in the last couple of issues, Dan Abnett channels some of his best Mark Waid-era Wally and brings home something that hearkens back to that era nicely. Honestly, if you're a fan of that Waid run on Wally, it's hard not to get a little misty as he pushes himself to save his friends and the woman he loves in an impossibly tight window and then faces possibly paying the ultimate price for having to push so hard. I'd say that this positive combined with my other reservations makes the trade a pretty good Wally West story but only a so-so at best Titans story.

I’m glad that you enjoyed this—in fact, I think you ended up enjoying it a lot more than I did. And that might be because as a monthly, it was hard to stay focused on the good Wally West moments of the series and not get bogged down by the ‘meh’ presentation of the rest of the Titans. I felt that even their interactions with one another left a lot to be desired (specifically Roy and Garth). However, I did love the Wally / Linda scenes, and now that you mention it, I can see the clear influence of Waid on Abnett with the resolution.

I’ll say that as the series has gone on, it’s gotten a little better for me. Still not a series I love, but one I haven’t considered dropping.

Suicide Squad Vol. 1: The Black Vault is one I wasn't going to pick up based on word of mouth. I ended up getting it as part of a package deal, so I read it anyway. The Squad is put together to find and confiscate a mysterious weapon of mass destruction from a Russian underwater prison. In the process, they meet a similar team to oppose them and discover that the WMD is more than they ever imagined. It seems the story was tailored to allow artist Jim Lee to complete on schedule, originally serialized as lead stories with solo character back-ups by other artists. So the lead, titular main story is, like, 50-60 pages maybe. I guess you can say it's not decompressed, at least, but it's kinda light for a headliner of a TPB. The characterization is not all that compelling, and the story/mission is not exactly complex. It's pretty much an actioner with an obligatory (though shocking) death. And a plot device in the form of an inside character is introduced who pretty much singlehandedly saves the day. Just not a read that lives up even close to the foundation that John Ostrander laid for great Suicide Squad stories decades ago. Maybe that's unfair, but it's the angle I come into this from. Plus, Jim lee on art ain't what he used to be. It's clear that he either did mostly rough pencils to allow his army of embellishers to finish because he just can't produce, or his style just isn't all that timeless. And I'll say it: Harley Quinn and her supposed and ill-defined skill-set just doesn't fit in with the rest of the group. The back-ups are better stories overall, but they don't save this trade from being any more than a mediocre package overall. I'd have to hear high recommendations about the subsequent stories to give Vol. 2 a go.

Your overview pretty much mirrors my own. The opening arc wasn’t really much in substance or story though I guess the idea of Lee doing the popular, ‘fresh out of the cinema’ characters was the appeal. Since Lee has left, the series has improved, though it still is more style over substance, even when my favorite JR Jr. stopped in for a few issues.

By now I’ve grown a little more accustomed to Harley, and that is helped by some great moments for her (finally) in the last few issues. Still, it definitely wasn’t enough to keep going with her solo series, which is the only Rebirth series I pulled the trigger on and cancelled. Unfortunately, at this point Harley is the official face of the Suicide Squad and will be going forward. I think for anyone to start to really like the Squad again, they’ll have to get on board with that.

I think the problem is Suicide Squad is no longer the Ostrander “thinking fans” black ops series it once was. Now it’s more along the lines of a summer blockbuster / X-Force meets James Bond / high octane art style type series. Which is fine if it gets a solid fanbase, but its not what you (and I) are really hoping for. Still, one hopes over time they can bring more Ostrander type elements (pacing, plotting, spycraft, complexity) back into the series.

Deathstroke Vol. 1: The Professional is one of those Rebirth collections I've been chomping at the bit to get to because of the high recommendations here and among various professionals--plus I'm a big fan of what I feel is Christopher Priest's masterwork to date, his run on Black Panther.The fact that Slade isn't exactly a character I gravitate toward was not a concern because Priest did wonders with T'Challa, and I had no previous affinity for that character either. Priest, when he's at the top of his game, writes dense, smart stories that bring out the essence of the characters he writes, and that's exactly what he does here. Slade is pretty much the enigmatic, cool-as-cucumber bad-ass he's always been, but the supporting cast brings depth and context to the enigma (much as was done with T'Challa). Priest's scripts demand your full attention because every single detail is there for a reason which will be revealed or called back when you don't expect it and shows that everything is part of the greater design. It can be frustrating if you're used to your comics being light reads almost entirely driven by action pieces, but if you want depth and nuance in your funny books, Deathstroke is for you. The action and characterization is laced with a mixture of politics, conspiracy with a healthy dose of flashbacks to paint current events with some needed context. Plus, Slade matches wits with Batman and Damien in a way that is refreshingly unexpected, emphasizing tactics and psychology over the physical. The art, which is primarily pencilled by Joe Bennett and Carlos Pagulayan is very clear, dynamic and expressiveand blends in well between their issues and the other artists. I also like that it is pencil-and-ink, rather than the pencils-to-colors that is so prolific these days. This book needs grit, and pencil-to-ink serves that well. Biggest drawback is that DC made the inexplicable decision to hold off on the final 2 chapters of this arc until the next trade. It's frustrating because the story is now artificially incomplete, and many of the Rebirth trades contain what would have been the necessary 8 issues to complete the story; this one has 6. I can only presume that the next arc isn't long enough, so DC decided to leave those issues to make that one fuller. So the content is excellent but frustratingly incomplete which keeps this trade from being the best it could be.

I couldn’t wait for you to read Deathstroke because I knew you’d love it. Priest is at his best and I can say the series only gets better and better as it goes to the point where its one of the best comics out there right now. I have no idea why they cut the story off short in the trades though, and that sounds like a stupid editing decision. I can only shrug. I know that #11 is my favorite of the series so far and one of the best single issues of the last year, and from #12 onwards Priest takes it up even another notch. Just damn good writing and the artwork has been fantastic too.

Batgirl Vol. 1: Beyond Burnside ended up being the best of this batch and is another in the feather of the Bat-Office's cap, which has yet to disappoint me. Despite the title, writer Hope Larson continues the great work that Stewart, Fletcher and Tarr started with their popular revamp of the character that directly preceded this run. The main difference is that Barbara is on a kind of sabbatical to Japan, China and other nearby countries to kind of give herself a break and pursue the legend of an Asian heroine called Fruit Bat, who'd been active many decades earlier. Along the way, she runs into a new love interest who she knows from her childhood in Chicago and gets caught up in both his shady dealings and a larger crime ring that deals in some very unusual product--something that is refreshingly different and specific to a foreign culture. Larson uses Barbara brilliantly in a way that distinguishes this as a Batgirl story and not just one that's interchangeable for any other hero to star in. She wisely features what is distinctive about her from the other Bat-characters--not her fighting style or gadgets but her photographic memory--which features heavily in the story's resolution. And just like in the prior run, Barbara is not infallible; she makes some mistakes and takes her share of lumps. But she perseveres in the end, and you are both entertained and enlightened in the process. You're with her all the way and privy to all her hopes, fears and foibles. I've never read Hope Larson's work before to my knowledge, but this is a more-than-excellent first impression. The sole artist throughout the story is Rafael Albuquerque. He's an artist I've loved on Vertigo's American Vampire, but it's a revelation that his artwork transitions so well from a horror book to a light superhero book. Along with Liam Sharpe on Wonder Woman, his is the best work to grace any Rebirth book to date. Instead of finding some Babs Tarr copycat, a wise decision was made to bring in Rafael to truly usher in a new chapter in Barbara Gordon's life. While I don't think he continues beyond this arc, I'm really glad he chose to take the assignment. He won't be pidgeon-holed into just a certain type of book, for sure. Really, a delightful but far from simplistic book!

This was another one I couldn’t wait for you to read. Our boy Alburquerque really makes his mark here and does exactly as you say: show he’s not pigeonholed to one genre and can kick ass on just about everything. I love the way the brighter super-hero colors make his art ‘pop’, which is apparent throughout this opening arc.

You do a great job at showing what makes Babs so unique character-wise, and how the focus on that here really makes the series work. She stands apart from the rest of the Bat-universe (and DCU in general). She’s also one of the most likable DC characters and you can’t help but root for her, especially when she’s made an error or is not feeling confident.

So, 2 awesomesauce and 2 ‘meh’! I can’t wait for you to read Cyborg and GA Vol 2, which I think you’re really going to love. Hellblazer V1 was also great and B&BOP is solid.

Sarcasm Kid #933691 07/12/17 08:22 PM
Active
Active
My guess on the Deathstroke trade is that they knew they were going to have to have a clean break for the crossover with the Titans books, and the trade length was set to make that happen. I can see how that would be frustrating.

I read the first couple of issues of Batgirl, and I thought it was decent, but I couldn't really figure out what the book was. Does she continue traveling the world? Aside from the obvious love interest, are any of the characters she meets ongoing cast members, or is each story going to basically just carry over those two characters? It felt perfectly enjoyable, but with nothing for me to grasp onto to pull me forward. It doesn't help that I still miss Oracle, and tend to resent Barbara being turned back into one of the many interchangeable Bat-derivatives runnning around these days, no matter how well written she is.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #933693 07/12/17 08:52 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I read the first couple of issues of Batgirl, and I thought it was decent, but I couldn't really figure out what the book was. Does she continue traveling the world? Aside from the obvious love interest, are any of the characters she meets ongoing cast members, or is each story going to basically just carry over those two characters? It felt perfectly enjoyable, but with nothing for me to grasp onto to pull me forward. It doesn't help that I still miss Oracle, and tend to resent Barbara being turned back into one of the many interchangeable Bat-derivatives runnning around these days, no matter how well written she is.

I think Barbara is FAR from interchangeable with the rest of the Bat-cast. If anything, beginning with Stewart, Fletcher and Tarr, they've found a way to really distinguish her and make her stand out from the rest. Gail Simone made us miss Oracle by keeping things grim and making her just another member of the Bat-family. But the Burnside era, now continued by Hope Larson, makes me feel more like taking her out of the wheelchair was worthwhile after all. At first, it seems out of character to lighten her up and let her be a little more like other people her age, but ultimately to me, it feels refreshing and ultimately true to the character.

Now, I can't speak firsthand about what happens beyond the story in the trade, but it certainly seems she hasn't really left Burnside behind. In fact, she's on a plane ride back (where action ensues) to Burnside at the end of the trade. But she ends up having a really cool adventure involving some unexpected contraband coveted for an unusual reason that felt absolutely worth the read. I don't know if any of the friends and foes she makes on the adventure (maybe not even the love interest) will follow her back to her presumed return to Burnside, but if they don't, it won't make that opening arc any less worthwhile for me. It was a fun, revelatory adventure that explored Barbara's character very well in the process. Whatever happens/happened next, I'm eager to see what Hope Larson does next!

Cobalt Kid #933695 07/12/17 09:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
As always, I love reading your reviews of the Rebirth trades!

Y'know, I don't mean to sound egotistical about this, but I'm pretty proud of how I review these Rebirth trades and trades in general. I go light on spoilers, but I think I give a pretty good indication of how I view their quality with some decent info to back it up. So, thanks! nod

I’m glad that you enjoyed this—in fact, I think you ended up enjoying it a lot more than I did. And that might be because as a monthly, it was hard to stay focused on the good Wally West moments of the series and not get bogged down by the ‘meh’ presentation of the rest of the Titans. I felt that even their interactions with one another left a lot to be desired (specifically Roy and Garth). However, I did love the Wally / Linda scenes, and now that you mention it, I can see the clear influence of Waid on Abnett with the resolution.

I’ll say that as the series has gone on, it’s gotten a little better for me. Still not a series I love, but one I haven’t considered dropping.

I think reading experiences via trade and via floppies can vary wildly. I'm not even saying that trade-reading is always better because I think the opposite can be true as well. Wonder Woman, for example, seems better reading as floppies from our contrasting views of it.

It's interesting that you don't love Titans but aren't close to dropping it. I don't continually buy any monthlies that I don't really love and think that they are rewarding to read in that format. It's my big rule these days, though that was hardly the case as recently as a year or two ago and especially in my prior decades of comics reading.

Your overview pretty much mirrors my own. The opening arc wasn’t really much in substance or story though I guess the idea of Lee doing the popular, ‘fresh out of the cinema’ characters was the appeal. Since Lee has left, the series has improved, though it still is more style over substance, even when my favorite JR Jr. stopped in for a few issues.

By now I’ve grown a little more accustomed to Harley, and that is helped by some great moments for her (finally) in the last few issues. Still, it definitely wasn’t enough to keep going with her solo series, which is the only Rebirth series I pulled the trigger on and cancelled. Unfortunately, at this point Harley is the official face of the Suicide Squad and will be going forward. I think for anyone to start to really like the Squad again, they’ll have to get on board with that.

I think the problem is Suicide Squad is no longer the Ostrander “thinking fans” black ops series it once was. Now it’s more along the lines of a summer blockbuster / X-Force meets James Bond / high octane art style type series. Which is fine if it gets a solid fanbase, but its not what you (and I) are really hoping for. Still, one hopes over time they can bring more Ostrander type elements (pacing, plotting, spycraft, complexity) back into the series.

It's not only not anything like what Ostrander built NOW, but I don't think it's been anything like it since the series officially returned during the New 52. It's a shame, really.

With Harley, it's not exactly a disdain for the character but that I haven't seen anything that shows me what she contributes to the group that makes her a necessary part of it. The only answer I've seen is that she's wildly popular with fans and sells the books. That's not enough for me. As much as i enjoyed Margo Robbie as her in the film, I was left with the same question and answer as a couple of sentences ago.

I couldn’t wait for you to read Deathstroke because I knew you’d love it. Priest is at his best and I can say the series only gets better and better as it goes to the point where its one of the best comics out there right now. I have no idea why they cut the story off short in the trades though, and that sounds like a stupid editing decision. I can only shrug. I know that #11 is my favorite of the series so far and one of the best single issues of the last year, and from #12 onwards Priest takes it up even another notch. Just damn good writing and the artwork has been fantastic too.

It's really good to see Priest back and doing his best work once again. I was struck, writing the above review, by the similarities between his work on Deathstroke and Black Panther as I kept trying not to mention it overly much in the review. But it still would have been unfair to overly emphasize the similarities because there's no doubt that there are huge differences between the characters and their situations and what they do. Hell, I think I may have to read BP in the next coupla years! nod

This was another one I couldn’t wait for you to read. Our boy Alburquerque really makes his mark here and does exactly as you say: show he’s not pigeonholed to one genre and can kick ass on just about everything. I love the way the brighter super-hero colors make his art ‘pop’, which is apparent throughout this opening arc.

You do a great job at showing what makes Babs so unique character-wise, and how the focus on that here really makes the series work. She stands apart from the rest of the Bat-universe (and DCU in general). She’s also one of the most likable DC characters and you can’t help but root for her, especially when she’s made an error or is not feeling confident.

Indeed! I hope you'll chime in on BFOB's concerns and my reply in the prior posts. I wouldn't mind some mild spoilers regarding the direction the book takes after the Asian adventure. More or less Burnside? Supporting characters? Kai or no Kai, etc?

So, 2 awesomesauce and 2 ‘meh’! I can’t wait for you to read Cyborg and GA Vol 2, which I think you’re really going to love. Hellblazer V1 was also great and B&BOP is solid.

If you look at my chart, 10 of 16 reviewed are guaranteed continuation by me, so far, and all but JL have at least a 50/50 chance. I've already bought WW Vol. 2 to see what Nicola did, and I'll definitely get 1 more Action Comics. Hal and Titans have a better chance than the Squad.

Sarcasm Kid #933708 07/13/17 07:38 AM
Active
Active
Really in love with New Super-Man. And I can't even recall what it was that made me not finish the first issue back in the day. I wasn't too sure about the inclusion on either I-Ching or Ching Lung, but the twist in the most recent issue I've read at least makes me want to know more. I would be interested to know how the book has been received in China. I wrote a long-ish bit here about a Chinese-American writing a series in China, and compared it to Christopher Priest writing a series in Africa, and how it's in one sense their culture, but in another they are an American looking at it from outside. But it wandered and didn't land, and I feel like that summary got my thoughts across at least as well as my ramble would have. Three issues until I'm caught up.

If 14 months ago you told me I would have a week of 6 books and they were all DC and no Marvel or Image, I would have... well, said something skeptical. I don't know what. But here we are! I just said I haven't caught up New Super-Man yet, and I haven't done Wonder Woman yet, so the 4 books I did read:

Action 983 - I caught up with this series just in time to read this book new. The early installments of this story were a little 90s-retro for my tastes. Not that I disliked that era, just that I'm a little weary of nostalgia. Jurgens has done a pretty good job so far of bringing back the feel of "his" Lois and Clark without making it feel like a nostalgia book, so that was disheartening. Fortunately, as General Zod, Lois and Jon have moved to the center of the story that feeling has gone away and I'm liking it more and more. Watching Cyborg Superman go from Big Bad to lackey was a fun journey.

Bug #3 - I never read the Atlas story (Wikipedia tells me there was only the one), so I didn't enjoy this one QUITE as much as the previous two, but I still liked it a whole lot. The devlopments at the end of the issue suggest that a genuine plot is beginning to form, so I hope he's able to pull off an ending that satisfies as a narrative while still being the kind of zany fun explosion the book has been so far. ETA: the serpent people in this story somehow blurred into the serpent cult currently lurking in Astro City, and I got VERY confused for a second.

The Flash #26 - Another great issue. For all of Reverse Flash's psychoanalysis, Barry made his point for him much better by running off from Iris, making a decision for her without even hearing her out. The book could be more right that Barry Allen's greatest enemy is The Flash. I've never been much of a fan of Howard Porter, and I missed Digiandomenico a lot. But rotating art is just going to be a thing on a twice-monthly book, so I'm going to roll with it.

Titans #13 - This book continues being exactly what it has been, bless its heart. It's nice to see Gnaark again. I hope the old Titans still float around even if Abnett is keeping the core team smaller. Hawk and Dove don't appear to be claimed by anyone at this point. Have we seen or heard of Mr. Jupiter in this revival?
At this point Wally and Lilith seem to be the characters we as the audience see into the most. It makes a certain degree of sense. Wally is the biggest star in the book who doesn't already have his own series, and Lilith comes with the least baggage. I found myself thinking that Wally, the man whose wife forgot him, and Karen, the woman who forgot her husband, might mike a more interesting pair than Wally and Donna. Then we had that scene of Roy and Karen watching Wally and Donna, and it made me wonder if Abnett is thinking along the same lines. Still, I find W&D more interesting than another go-round for Roy and Donna. Not that I'm opposed to that pairing, but if they do revisit it, it needs to be earned, not just slipped into because it's familiar and easy. Last but not least, I'm finding the traitor story interesting. Most of my guesses are based on meta-analysis, not in-story clues. It's Garth because Lilith trusted him! It's Dick because he broke the information and immediately pointed fingers at the one person we know it can't be! Most of all, I'm intrigued because this is a small, tight team. There are no disposable members. Any of these characters being a traitor really would rock the team to the core. (Well, maybe not Karen.) Which probably just means it's going to be one of those things where the "traitor" will wind up being a traitor in a way that lets them stay on the team. But I'm holding out hope that there's something more interesting at the back of it than the way Nightwing "betrayed" the team in the crossover.

And, closing off with a question. I read Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth. I have to admit I'm not a huge Jason Todd fan. I'm mostly interested in this book for Artemis, and the "funhouse mirror image of the Trinity" concept. Considering the title and that the first issue was a Jason Todd solo issue, am I going to get enough of what I'm looking for if I keep going? Or is this going to be a Jason Todd book with Artemis and Bizarro as supporting characters?

Last edited by Brain-Fall-Out Boy; 07/13/17 07:41 AM.
Sarcasm Kid #933780 07/14/17 06:12 AM
Active
Active
Last night I caught up on the fantastic New Super-Man and dug into Red Hood and the Outlaws. After reading a second Red Hood solo issue, I was delighted to get to Artemis. She has great chemistry with Jason, finally making me feel like he was more than the emo to Batman's goth. I've gotten through issue 4, and I'm really grooving on it now. I'm not sure where it's going after this arc, but I'm interested to find out. It's hard to believe this is the same writer who gave us goldfish Starfire. Well, I always did like his 90s X-Men work, flaws and all.

I also read the first arc of Green Arrow. I'm not the world's biggest GA fan, but I enjoyed it. I'm more of a Black Canary person. I have appreciated their relationship in the past, and I realize that he kept her from limbo during some years when she could have easily gone the way of, say, Zatanna. But it feels like maybe she's outgrown it and come into her own in the last 20 years. Then again, I started feeling that way after they retconned Ollie into a cheating ass, so maybe this clean slate is what they need to win me back over. I knew there would be some TV influence, but it was not as bad as it might have been. I also suspect some of it is inherited from the New 52. Although after 3 years of Arrow, I am more than ready to never see that damn island again. This had better not last long.

Sarcasm Kid #934043 07/17/17 01:52 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Going back to a few thoughts on Batgirl: I agree wholeheartedly that Babs is from interchangeable from the rest of the Bat-cast. In fact that is the #1 driving force of why the series (and the prior Fletcher / Tarr series) has been so good: they've gone out of their way to show why a Babs Batgirl is a different, great addition to the DCU that fills a gap we didn't realize was missing.

BFOB, you may not know this but I was PISSED when Babs was de-Oraclized and made Batgirl again. I really hated the idea and I hated Simone's initial launch of the DCnU series. For all the reasons you were turned off. But when Fletcher and Tarr came in and introduced Burnside, the series suddenly shifted into something quite different. Batgirl suddenly became the young adult hero of this generation, much like Spider-Man, the Teen Titans and others have done in the past.

To give some limited spoilers on where Batgirl goes next, the entire next arc is about reestablishing Burnside and her personal life, and I have enjoyed it quite a bit. Supporting cast members, new and old, get some screen time, and she gets a great new villain. Kai has not yet reappeared but I can't help but feel they'll be bringing him back. I think they probably wanted to get the Burnside setting firmly in view before they bring in Kai of someone else to mix things up with Babs' personal life.

Few other comments / replies:

You both do some great reviews and I appreciate them!

With Titans, I don't love it but you are right, I'm not thinking of dropping it. I guess I just see so much potential there that I hope they can take advantage of, and plus I get to have my monthly Wally West fix. That alone gives me some level of enjoyment. So while it's not one I recommend on quality, I do get some pleasure out of keeping it around.

BFOB, glad you stuck sigh RH&O. And you've seen, all 3 get an equal amount of time over the issues, and the dynamic between is really fantastic!

Also, agree on New Super-Man, which I'm also enjoying.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 07/17/17 01:58 PM.
Sarcasm Kid #934045 07/17/17 01:52 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
As I read a bunch of Rebirth issues over the weekend, I noticed that while the top tier series continue to deliver, a lot of the series that we're "good" but still finding their voice early on have now really come into their own.

Somewhere along the way, Hal Jordan & the GLC has become a fantastic series. The art by Van Scrier definitely helps, but overall it's awesome ongoing usage and characterization of the huge cast. Hal, Guy, Kyle, John, Soranik, Kilowog, and a few others (like Arkillo, surprisingly) have all shined in recent issues. Making sure to show other Lanterns, and good use of guest stars like Space Cabbie and Rip Hunter, have been great. HJ&GLC is a great counter balance to GLs, which has been excellent for some time.

Another series that has surprisingly won me over is Teen Titans. The latest issue, in which Jasckon (new Aqualad) gets a chance to shine, was great, and the creative team is doing great work with Kid Flash, Raven and Robin too. It feels like the series is starting to get its identity and footing now. I say "surprisingly" because I had all but written the series off. Now if they can somehow reconcile Starfire's presence given her age difference, I'd be really pleased.

I think the key here is consistency. The creators are secure that DC is committed to them and these series and they are working with confidence that they don't need marketing ploys or hype, and can just tell their stories.

Cobalt Kid #934077 07/17/17 06:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
As I read a bunch of Rebirth issues over the weekend, I noticed that while the top tier series continue to deliver, a lot of the series that we're "good" but still finding their voice early on have now really come into their own.

Somewhere along the way, Hal Jordan & the GLC has become a fantastic series. The art by Van Scrier definitely helps, but overall it's awesome ongoing usage and characterization of the huge cast. Hal, Guy, Kyle, John, Soranik, Kilowog, and a few others (like Arkillo, surprisingly) have all shined in recent issues. Making sure to show other Lanterns, and good use of guest stars like Space Cabbie and Rip Hunter, have been great. HJ&GLC is a great counter balance to GLs, which has been excellent for some time.

Well, I think this officially green-lights Hal/GLC Vol. 2 for me, which had kind of been in limbo!

Another series that has surprisingly won me over is Teen Titans. The latest issue, in which Jasckon (new Aqualad) gets a chance to shine, was great, and the creative team is doing great work with Kid Flash, Raven and Robin too. It feels like the series is starting to get its identity and footing now. I say "surprisingly" because I had all but written the series off. Now if they can somehow reconcile Starfire's presence given her age difference, I'd be really pleased.

I think the key here is consistency. The creators are secure that DC is committed to them and these series and they are working with confidence that they don't need marketing ploys or hype, and can just tell their stories.

Wow, that's a curveball! I had decided to give Teen Titans a hard pass based on everything I'd read about it, here and elsewhere. Now....what to do?!?! confused

Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,308
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star