Roll Call
0 members (), 12 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 06:49 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/28/24 01:12 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The Poor Sleepers' Support Thread
Invisible Brainiac #927280 04/26/17 11:44 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
ah no, fall back is part of the other clock altering line. Fall back against the autumn of the Time Trapper! or words to that effect.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #927289 04/26/17 01:20 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Falling back on behalf of the Time Trapper... is going to be quite the alteration.

Invisible Brainiac #933942 07/16/17 03:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
A lot of us have been having sleep problems lately. Thought I'd bump this up.

I've been sleeping better lately. But I need to adjust my cycle - go to bed earlier, wake up earlier.

Invisible Brainiac #933946 07/16/17 08:03 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Waking up at 6:30 to get up for work hasn't been fun lately. tired

It's even worse in the evening since I feel the need to soak in as much free time as I can before the next day, which ends up making me stay up till 12 or 1. shake

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Invisible Brainiac #933949 07/16/17 08:07 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I also feel the bees to make the most of my time after work. Which results to tiring myself out on weekends too!

Invisible Brainiac #933951 07/16/17 08:43 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
I fell asleep on Friday evening. Then couldn't seep at all during the night. As a result I caught up on it last night, and I slept in for the places I was supposed to be this morning. Grrr...

I am finding that I'm unable to fall asleep for longer periods at the moment. Even the insomnia hotline had gone for a nap when I phoned smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #933960 07/16/17 11:11 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I also wasn't able to do a lot of chores because I overslept this morning. it ain't easy!

Invisible Brainiac #933968 07/16/17 12:33 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
nope it ain't >yawn & cat like stretch< smile Settles back in the garden with dwink and book...

Invisible Brainiac #933984 07/16/17 12:54 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Sleep is for the weary, and not just for the wicked

Invisible Brainiac #934069 07/17/17 03:43 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Sleep is for the sleepy.... and those too tired to come up with idioms...

Invisible Brainiac #934098 07/18/17 12:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I slept at 11.30pm, then woke up at 5am and couldn't get back to sleep until 6.30... and my alarm goes off at 7am...

Invisible Brainiac #966325 01/27/19 08:55 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Since my last post here, I've had practically full nights with no sleep. That results in short naps the following evening, that then affect my nights. Getting to bed early simply means I wake up four hours later and can't sleep for the rest of the night, affecting the following night too. Rubbish really.

Invisible Brainiac #966331 01/27/19 11:19 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Sorry to hear that, thothy.

I'm similar, if I go to sleep too early, then I wake up too early and can't sleep anymore.

Darn these forces of habit!

Invisible Brainiac #966347 01/27/19 12:54 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thoth, Ibby,

I sympathize with you both. I've had problems sleeping for more years than I've been able to count. I honestly don't know why I haven't posted in this thread before (maybe I did long ago, but I don't feel like going through every page right now.)

I do hope it might help if I share a couple recent experiences of my own which have improved my sleep somewhat:

- Better eating habits (meats only before 3 p.m., nothing fried after dark, sweets in moderation.)

- Meds for stress and anxiety (I know not everyone responds well to meds, and I've had my ups and downs, but I've come to believe that a good psychiatrist -- the kind who wants their patients to be HAPPY, not just FUNCTIONAL -- is worth their weight in gold.)

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Invisible Brainiac #966355 01/27/19 03:37 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for posting Anfie. My diet isn't great but I do meet (meat?) all those criteria. I don't take red meat anyway, fried food is a treat and not after dark (Fear the Chip Shop Vampires! smile) and my sweet tooth is kept firmly in check... we have the dieter's thread for that so I can stop on that one...

Real Life is entering a very tough month or so ahead, so I may be around a bit less (or I may post binge. It'll be one of the two smile). After that... well, I can post here again now that Actor Lad has reminded me to do so.

I find, but don't really do it as often as I should:-

Walking
Going to an open air event (I'm choosing local football at the moment)
Reading (often binge reading. Not just a few pages, but a few hours)
Mantras (nothing too involved. Just something simple and embedded.)
I often have a comic related thing in my head that helps me to drop off. This last week, it's been combining the Alan Moore X-Men with the Claremont/ Romita Jr era. I can switch off a little and I've got a beginning, middle, fake end, end and follow up in mind by doing this.

Just things to switch off to.

Invisible Brainiac #966359 01/27/19 04:19 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
"There's a vampire down the chip shop swears he's Elvis..."

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Invisible Brainiac #966363 01/27/19 04:56 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Sounds like a Desperate Character to me. smile

'Course the one thing ah like t'do on the Poor Sleeper's thread is ramble...insert Steve Martin's Rambling Man tune... 'cause that's what you do in the late hours...

I don't eat much in the way of take out food. It's something I never got when I was growing up, and that's stayed with me. So, left to my own devices, if I'm to get something, it will be from the local Fish and Chip shop. A fish supper was quite the treat as a kid.

I just happen to live very close to the bestest fish supper maker on Earth. I think the shop has changed ownership at least once or twice, but the taste of their fish suppers has remained and is fantastic. I once thought that it was just my taste buds responding to the salt and things that I don't usually have. But having visited a few other establishments, purely in the interests of scientific research, this isn't the case. Or my local one has some way of tailoring their additives to my DNA through some sort of nefarious villainous scheme. As a comics reader, this can't be ruled out.

Which segues nicely into what my point was going to be. One of the reasons why I probably have fish suppers once in a while is due to a comic book character called Alf Tupper. He was called the Tough of the Track. He appeared in some weekly boy's comic, probably for the most part well before my time.

I read an about him in a comic called Red Dagger. It probably collected a few months of his weekly strip. Alf had a tough time. I seem to recall him having a (looking back) really abusive relative and not much prospect in the area he was raised in. What he did have was a prodigious talent for track running. At the end of his adventures, or sometimes just for much needed fuel between gruelling races, Alf would have a fish supper.

Today's athletes shun such things. But a lot of them suffer from various medical complaints or have to pretend to have asthma to get an edge. None of that for Alf!

Learn More about Alf Tupper here

I've just realised his surname rhymes with supper, but I don't think that was ever used as a catch phrase.

Key Points:
Fish Suppers *must* come with an outer wrapper of newspaper.
Special Fish Suppers are weirdly more expensive and have coatings of breadcrumbs. Instead, buy the slightly cheaper battered fish for a much better taste.
Running 10 000 meters like Alf should be done *before* getting the fish supper reward.

As my liking of Fish Suppers is influenced by Alf Tupper...
My liking of Macaroon bars is clearly from Enid Blyton's Five Find Outers series.
My liking of Turkish Delight comes from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Surely, as following posts will reveal is not at all unusual... smile

Invisible Brainiac #966386 01/27/19 07:44 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks for sharing your tips, Fanfie and thothy

hot milk and relaxing music are still my go-tos

Invisible Brainiac #966389 01/27/19 07:48 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Have you gone to them tonight? It's pretty late. smile

Invisible Brainiac #966432 01/28/19 03:23 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I have, but they turned me away. too soon, they whispered...

Invisible Brainiac #969106 03/29/19 01:29 AM
Leader
Leader
Accidentally crashed-napped a few hours ago for approximately 30 minutes, consequently I more than likely won't be able to get much (if any) sleep tonight.

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
Invisible Brainiac #969131 03/30/19 05:02 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
My sleep has improved recently. I'm sticking to a more consistent schedule now.

Sometimes though, that consistent schedule involves sleeping on the couch...

Invisible Brainiac #969286 04/02/19 10:55 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Glad to hear it Ibby. I'm waking up with the first ray of light coming into the room. If only I could get to bed earlier to compensate for it.

Invisible Brainiac #976565 09/08/19 04:54 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
I've noticed that my energy levels perk up at around 10:30. It's probably always been like that, and may have something to do with my eating habits and metabolism. On a couple of occasions I've gone to bed before that, and fallen asleep really quickly. After that time though, it's a real struggle to stop what I'm doing and wind down.

I told my dentist that I'd woken up suddenly and felt that I had just been grinding my teeth. She said that would explain why I was in for treatment. I'd been putting pressure on a filling. She said it could be stress related. I gave that some thought after several cups of coffee and running around trying to do everything at 100miles an hour and went "nope". smile I'm more perpetually anxious than stressed. smile After a difficult start to the year, I can't really moan.

I switched mostly to tea now. My work now has a little kitchen area, rather than a canteen. So, it's easier to get rid of the teabags. Besides, I was taking too many cups of actual coffee at work. In my old place, I used a free vending machine. The closest to real coffee that the stuff coming out if it had been, was seeing the picture on the front of the vending machine.

We don't get autumn here now. We get Rainy Season. Since I'm not a fan of it lashing the house, I put on some audio stuff. One thing was this relaxation audio. First night: out like a light. I've heard the whole half hour of it since. I think it's Australian, but if you're Australian, just imagine drifting off to someone speaking in an accent that's very different to what you hear each day. I get a little smile *and* drift off to Nodland. Occasionally, I'll catch myself thinking "noooowheeere to beee and noooonee to pleeeease" as slowly as the voice in the audio, but in a rubbish attempt to replicate the accent. smile

Unfortunately, I got a nap earlier on this evening. So, it's coming up to midnight and I'm still awake. I didn't get my morning walk today either, which isn't going to help.

Invisible Brainiac #976570 09/08/19 06:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I had to make an overnight run to VA friday. Naturally, it set off my insomnia cycle. Been dealing with that for decades now. Trick is to find the right time to sleep to get back the natural rhythm of my sleep clock.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,299
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
freekdkid
freekdkid
Charlotte
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star