Roll Call
0 members (), 166 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/28/24 01:12 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 12:20 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 11:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:44 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Re: My Big-Ass Pile o'Trades Waiting To Be Read At My Whim
Lard Lad #933042 07/05/17 08:02 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE (7/5/17)

Currently Finishing

Wonder Woman by Perez Omnibus

Read Since Previous Update

Marvel Masterworks Captain America Vol. 8
Marvel Masterworks: The Defenders Vol. 5
iZombie Omnibus
The Fix Vol. 1
Detective Comics Rebirth Vol. 1
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 1
Justice League Rebirth Vol. 1
Action Comics Rebirth Vol. 1
Amazing Spider-Man Worldwide Vols. 3 & 4
Green Lanterns Rebirth Vol. 1
Hal Jordan & GLC Rebirth Vol. 1
Suicide Squad Rebirth Vol. 1
Titans Rebirth Vol. 1
Batgirl Rebirth Vol. 1
Wonder Woman Rebirth Vol. 1
Deathstroke Rebirth Vol. 1
Sheriff of Babylon Vols. 1 & 2
Star Wars Vol. 4: Last Flight of Harbinger

To-Read Pile

West Coast Avengers Omnibus Vol. 2
Goldfish
Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 2
Frank Miller's Ronin Deluxe Edition
Marvel Masterworks: Silver Surfer Vol. 1
Iron Man by Michelinie, Layton & Romita, Jr. Omnibus
Stray Bullets Uber Alles Edition
Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Jon Sable: Freelance Omnibus Vol. 2
Secret Six Vol. 1: Villains United
Flex Mentallo
Nemo: Roses of Berlin & River of Ghosts
Shaman's Tears (Mike Grell)
Howard the Duck Omnibus
Just the Tips (a Sex Criminals companion by Fraction/Zdarsky)
Bandette Vol. 2
Pride of Baghdad
Camelot 3000 Deluxe edition
Moon Knight Epic Collection Vol. 2
Star Wars: Legacy (Ostrander) Vols. 3-5
Star Wars: Tag & Bink Were Here
Deadpool Classics Vols. 2 & 3
Crossover Classics Marvel/DC Vol. 1
Paying for It by Chester Brown
Princess Leia TPB
World War Hulk
Star Slammers Complete Collection
Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe Edition
The Wizard's Tale
Superman: Secret Identity
Twilight Children
Thor: The Mighty Avenger Complete Collection
Wonder Woman: Earth One
Doom Patrol/Grant Morrison Omnibus
X-Statix Omnibus
Ultimate Spider-Man: Chameleons
World War Hulk: Incredible Hercules
Batman by Moench & Jones Vol. 1
John Carter Warlord of Mars Marvel Omnibus
Death & Return of Superman Omnibus
All-Star Section Eight
Batgirl Vol. 3 (Stewart/Fletcher/Tarr)
Tales of the Batman: Alan Brennert
Fables: Werewolves of Heartland
Omega Men: End Is Here
Vision Vol. 2
100 Bullets: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Book 2
Point Blank (Prelude to Sleeper)
Alpha Flight by John Byrne Omnibus
Complete Essex County by Jeff lemire
Doctor Strange PB: Montesi Formula
New Teen Titans: Games
Darth Vader Vol. 4
Batgirl/Birds of Prey Rebirth Vol. 1
Hellblazer Rebirth Vol. 1
Green Arrow Rebirth Vol. 2
Superman Rebirth Vol. 2
Doctor Strange Vol. 3 Blood in Aether
Ultimate Spider-man: Death of Spider-Man Prelude
Monstress Vol. 1
Rachel Rising Omnibus
Postal Vol. 1
New Teen Titans Vol. 6
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1
Sensational She-Hulk by John Byrne: The Return

New Stuff

Batman Rebirth Vol. 2
Aquaman Rebirth Vol. 2
Green Lanterns Rebirth Vol. 2
Black Widow (Waid/Samnee) Vols. 1 & 2
Amazing Spider-Man: Clone Conspiracy HC
All-Star Batman Rebirth Vol. 1
Detective Comics Rebirth Vol. 2
Red Hood & Outlaws Rebirth Vol. 1
Batman & Outsiders Vol. 1 HC
JLA: Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 1
Ultimate Death of Spider-Man HC
Cyborg Rebirth Vol. 1
Flash Rebirth Vol. 2
Marvel Masterworks Captain America Vol. 9
Hawkeye: Kate Bishop Vol. 1
Doom Patrol (Young Animal) Vol. 1
Wonder Woman Rebirth Vol. 2
Lazarus Vol. 5
Superboy & LSH Vol. 1
Wonder Woman by John Byrne Vol. 1
Marvel Masterworks: Champions
JLU : Infinitus Saga

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #933043 07/05/17 09:53 PM
Active
Active
Of the recently read, anything you would particularly recommend?

Lard Lad #933044 07/05/17 09:58 PM
Active
Active
Posted in the wrong thread. Nothing to see here. smile

Last edited by Brain-Fall-Out Boy; 07/06/17 06:03 AM.
Lard Lad #933045 07/05/17 10:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Of the Rebirth lot, I'd particularly recommend Nightwing, Detective, Batgirl, Green Lanterns and Deathstroke. (I'm overdue for another set of Rebirth reviews. Look for one soon in the rebirth thread.)

The others really depend on your sensibilities. The Cap and Defenders Masterworks are must-reads if you like Bronze Age Marvel. Both represent some of the best-known works of Bronze Age icons Steve Engelhart and Steve Gerber, respectively. iZombie is chock full of great Mike Allred artwork. The story ranges from sublime to slow, however. I had high hopes for modern Vertigo book Sheriff of Babylon--the hopes are met in many ways, but it seems a lot of story potential was unexplored in the 12-issue run. The Fix is a pretty entertaining comedic crime book, but the story in Vol. 1 is kind of unsatisfying in how it is simply "to be continued" in the next volume with no real plot resolution in the book itself. The ASM books are good but not anything approaching the best of the Dan Slott run. And reading Marvel's Star Wars in trades is definitely the way to go.

Lard Lad #933059 07/06/17 05:20 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Can't wait for the next round of reviews! I notice you said you really enjoyed Batgirl, which I expected and can't wait to hear about.

You've got so much great stuff to read! I'm pumped to see your ongoing thoughts on the Rebirth stuff, and I'm curious about other things when you get to them, like Monstress and Star Slammers.

On Orion, it's been so long since I read it that it's hard to remember specifics about it. But I recall also loving how Walt used lesser seen or outright new characters, and only used the other more prolific New Gods sparingly (Lightray being the premiere example as you point out). I think readers are so accustomed to the "everything all at once" approach with New Gods series that's it's become a common and tired way to do the series. Walt shifted things with and it worked really well.

Lard Lad #933778 07/14/17 04:33 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Paladin
Sorry. I meant to respond to this much more promptly, but it kinda slipped my mind.

Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Originally Posted by Paladin

Recently Read

Orion by Walt Simonson Omnibus

I'd be interested to know how this reads in one sitting. The first two story arcs were dynamite. Tthe crazy throw down between Darkseid & Orion was amazing and even though you knew DC wouldn't let it stand as status quo, had a great feeling of closure to it. I thought after the Anti-life story line, the "Banishment" story drug a little and while the rest of the series was still very good, it didn't really recover to the greatness of the first half (until 25, which was a satisfying Scott & Orion meeting which we surprisingly don't see that much of).

I thought it all read just fine. It was entertaining from start-to-finish. I never found myself thinking, "wow, the second half is really dragging compared to the first half!" I mean, I suppose the storyline with Orion on Earth facing some street-level crime was a little off-beat, but I was entertained.

What really surprised me was how Walt used the other existing New Gods fairly sparingly. I came in, for example, figuring Lightray would pretty much be Orion's supporting co-star. But Walt barely used all of the usual suspects (including Darkseid) but made their usages all the more memorable for having done so sparingly. His use of new or seldom-used characters and some somewhat shocking status quo changes made it clear that he wanted to build upon what Kirby had done rather than just paying homage to him.

And the art was utterly spectacular! Some of his best work, right up there with his classic Thor! I've always had trouble connecting with the New Gods and their milieu, but all it ever really takes is talented creators with a burning passion for the characters to make it work--as Walt showed me!

YAY and YAY AGAIN! I'm SO GLAD you enjoyed Walt's take on the Fourth World, not least because I was the one who recommended it most vociferously to you. That's a huge load off my mind.

Now when are you going to review Avengers Omnibus 2, the Roy/Big John collection? mad (j/k) wink hug love

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Lard Lad #935035 07/31/17 01:34 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar

Lard Lad #935039 07/31/17 03:45 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Was UNWORTHY THOR just a one-off trade? Was the title meant to be a mini?? It leads right into the regular THOR series by introducing the War Thor... For what it's worth, I greatly enjoyed UNWORTHY. Coipel was excellent, and the additional artists didn't detract from the overall story.

Pov #935043 07/31/17 05:46 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L

Hm. Looks mostly like crossovers and not as much Harras/Epting just doing their own thing. I suppose Collection Obsession includes a good run of their own issues, though, in addition to the crossover with annuals. I know you're a fan of OGS, but I'm a little skeptical of it. seems I read at least a good chunk of it back in the day and didn't think much of it (just as I didn't care for X-Cutioner's Song--or was it X-Tinction Agenda?--while you and Cobie really like it).

I'd really rather dig into an omnibus format collection of the Harras/Epting Avengers, but I'll consider them. CO has a better chance than OGS.

Originally Posted by Pov
Was UNWORTHY THOR just a one-off trade? Was the title meant to be a mini?? It leads right into the regular THOR series by introducing the War Thor... For what it's worth, I greatly enjoyed UNWORTHY. Coipel was excellent, and the additional artists didn't detract from the overall story.

I know very little about this, but it seems like I read it was a mini. Might wanna inquire in the Thor thread to be sure.

Side rant: I really hate how Marvel stealth-cancels their books! I had no idea Waid/Samnee's Black Widow had ended, and I'm not exactly sure which issue of Silver surfer is the last, even though everybody--except marvel in any official way--says it's ending. mad

Lard Lad #935049 07/31/17 07:44 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Lardy, CO is a must-have, if only because the last two issues collected (343-344) are the opening chapters of the Gatherers Saga.

Re: OGS, it's not that I think it's that great overall, rather I think it's more than the sum of its parts. And most importantly, I still love the climax (in Avengers 347,) and still think it took guts for the creators and editors to "go there." Oh, and it's X-Cutioner's Song I love, not X-Tinction Agenda (among other reasons, XCS is drawn by Greg Capullo, Andy Kubert, Jae Lee, and Brandon Peterson, whereas XTA is drawn by Jim Lee, Jon Bogdanove, and Rob Liefeld. You tell me which group of artists is more lopsided in the talent department. wink

Ann Hebistand #935051 07/31/17 07:59 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Lardy, CO is a must-have, if only because the last two issues collected (343-344) are the opening chapters of the Gatherers Saga.

Wow! I hope I wouldn't be spending that kinda $$ for just 2 good issues! ElasticLad

Re: OGS, it's not that I think it's that great overall, rather I think it's more than the sum of its parts. And most importantly, I still love the climax (in Avengers 347,) and still think it took guts for the creators and editors to "go there." Oh, and it's X-Cutioner's Song I love, not X-Tinction Agenda (among other reasons, XCS is drawn by Greg Capullo, Andy Kubert, Jae Lee, and Brandon Peterson, whereas XTA is drawn by Jim Lee, Jon Bogdanove, and Rob Liefeld. You tell me which group of artists is more lopsided in the talent department. wink

Um...I give up? wink grin

BTW, I just received a hardcover of "Assault on Olympus" by Stern, Buscema and Palmer I'd ordered on eBay. I was surprised to realize that the batch of issues it contains, 278-285, were stern's last on the book. I sometimes suffer from fuzzy memory, but it's hard to believe his great run was over so soon after the triumph of the Masters of Evil epic! (I also have an HC of that, "Under Siege", on the way, too.) I suppose, in hindsight, his departure is masked somewhat by Buscema and Palmer sticking around 'til 300.

Lard Lad #935056 07/31/17 08:58 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Pal-Lardy
Wow! I hope I wouldn't be spending that kinda $$ for just 2 good issues! ElasticLad

Good point. Upon thinking it over, perhaps it might work best if you bought floppy-copies of 343, 344, and 347. Then, if they turn out to not be your thing, at least you won't be out more than a few bucks.

Originally Posted by Ann-Ficque
XCS is drawn by Greg Capullo, Andy Kubert, Jae Lee, and Brandon Peterson, whereas XTA is drawn by Jim Lee, Jon Bogdanove, and Rob Liefeld. You tell me which group of artists is more lopsided in the talent department. wink

rotflmao

BTW, I just received a hardcover of "Assault on Olympus" by Stern, Buscema and Palmer I'd ordered on eBay. I was surprised to realize that the batch of issues it contains, 278-285, were stern's last on the book. I sometimes suffer from fuzzy memory, but it's hard to believe his great run was over so soon after the triumph of the Masters of Evil epic! (I also have an HC of that, "Under Siege", on the way, too.) I suppose, in hindsight, his departure is masked somewhat by Buscema and Palmer sticking around 'til 300.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. It appears, from reliable sources, that the Avengers editorial department was in such chaos between 286 through 300 that the consistency of the art was the only thing which kept the book anchored, and then just barely! Although I do consider it a blessing in disguise that Walt Simonson actually had to carry his unresolved Avengers plot threads, lock, stock, and barrel, over to Fantastic Four. IIRC, you and I both agree that Walt's F4 run was mostly awesome, and that even its (relatively) weaker issues were never less than good!

Ann Hebistand #935059 07/31/17 09:24 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Annie H
[quote=Pal-Lardy]Wow! I hope I wouldn't be spending that kinda $$ for just 2 good issues! ElasticLad

Good point. Upon thinking it over, perhaps it might work best if you bought floppy-copies of 343, 344, and 347. Then, if they turn out to not be your thing, at least you won't be out more than a few bucks.[/quote

So you're saying that 334-344 + the Collection Obsession may not be worth it?

Originally Posted by Ann-Ficque
XCS is drawn by Greg Capullo, Andy Kubert, Jae Lee, and Brandon Peterson, whereas XTA is drawn by Jim Lee, Jon Bogdanove, and Rob Liefeld. You tell me which group of artists is more lopsided in the talent department. wink

rotflmao

It appears, from reliable sources, that the Avengers editorial department was in such chaos between 286 through 300 that the consistency of the art was the only thing which kept the book anchored, and then just barely!

Am I correct that Stern in recalling that was fired for some bullshit editorial saber-waving rather than leaving of his own accord?

Although I do consider it a blessing in disguise that Walt Simonson actually had to carry his unresolved Avengers plot threads, lock, stock, and barrel, over to Fantastic Four. IIRC, you and I both agree that Walt's F4 run was mostly awesome, and that even its (relatively) weaker issues were never less than good!

Obviously, it was a very good run on the FF and was aided greatly by his doing his own art there (no disrespect to Buscema and Palmer intended, there). Though his Avengers run was forgettable overall, I do seem to recall enjoying his Kang story.

Lard Lad #935180 08/03/17 04:24 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
So you're saying that 334-344 + the Collection Obsession may not be worth it?

From a purely objective, unsentimental standpoint, yes, I would say that. But I hope you'll still sample the floppy-copies of #343-344 and #347 (and, depending on how much you're interested in seeing Epting draw the New Warriors, you might possibly throw in #341-342 as well.)

Am I correct that Stern in recalling that was fired for some bullshit editorial saber-waving rather than leaving of his own accord?

I'm afraid so. Worst of all, it was done in a totally passive-aggressive way. Stern says that after he politely opined to Gruenwald that there was no way he could write Monica Rambeau being demoted in favor of Steve Rogers without there being an ugly racist subtext, all of a sudden no one at Marvel would return his phone calls. And I don't know whether Stern had already negotiated to return to Marvel to write "Hobgoblin Returns" before or after Gruenwald passed away. A pity, because they made a great writer/editor team, regardless of how badly it ended.

Lard Lad #936579 08/26/17 06:17 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE (8/26/17)

Currently Reading

Monstress Vol. 1

West Coast Avengers Omnibus Vol. 2
Camelot 3000 Deluxe Edition
Star Slammers Complete Collection
The Wizard's Tale
Batgirl/Birds of Prey Rebirth Vol. 1
Hellblazer Rebirth Vol. 1
Green Arrow Rebirth Vol. 2
Cyborg Rebirth Vol. 1

To-Read Pile

Goldfish
Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Flex Mentallo
Howard the Duck Omnibus
Bandette Vol. 2
Pride of Baghdad
Princess Leia TPB
World War Hulk
Twilight Children
X-Statix Omnibus
All-Star Section Eight
Vision Vol. 2
100 Bullets Book 2
Darth Vader Vol. 4
Superman Rebirth Vol. 2
Rachel Rising Omnibus
Postal Vol. 1
New Teen Titans Vol. 6
Batman Rebirth Vol. 2
Aquaman Rebirth Vol. 2
Black Widow (Waid/Samnee) Vols. 1 & 2
Flash Rebirth Vol. 2
Lazarus Vol. 5
Superboy & LSH Vol. 1

New Stuff

Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 2
Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye Vol. 1
Mother Russia Vol. 1
Thor: If Asgard Should Perish
Thor: Quest for Odin
Avengers: Under Siege
Avengers: Assault on Olympus
Hercules: Prince of Power
Hercules: Full Circle
Captain America: Operation Rebirth
Spider-Man: Death of Jean DeWolff
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
Doctor Strange: Into Dark Dimension
Doctor Strange: Don't Pay the Ferryman

So a lot of the New Stuff is drawn from a fascination with the now-discontinued Marvel Premiere Edition hardcovers that reprint a lot of interesting storylines from the Bronze Age thru the '90s. I found a lot of insanely good deals on these and kinda went batshit over them! It's a mixture of stuff I own in floppies and want the format upgrade and stuff I've never read before.

So, currently, I have 5 trades in a stack to read next: Monstress (currently reading), Tom King's Vision Vol. 2, Postal Vol. 1, Darth Vader Vol. 4 and Crossover Classics: The Marvel/DC Collection Vol. 1

After that, it's the next 4 DC Rebirth trades: Superman Vol 2, Aquaman Vol 2, Batman Vol 2 and All-Star Batman Vol 1.

Lard Lad #936675 08/28/17 04:03 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Lardy, Make sure to let K-Haste know what you think of MONSTRESS! She talked me into getting the first and 2nd trades with my most recent DCBS order. I'm not going in cold; I tried out the first issue with Image's Image Firsts program and liked it a lot!

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
Re: The Big Pile o'Trades on the Coffee Table Next to My Recliner!
Lard Lad #938497 10/07/17 01:02 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Paladin on 04/18/2015
As I've written elsewhere, V For Vendetta is currently my favorite Moore work and From Hell is the biggest contender.

Originally Posted by Fickles/Annfie on 04/18/2015
I haven't re-read V for Vendetta in years, and while I remember liking it, very little of it has stuck in my mind the way my favorite Moore works have.

Originally Posted by Paladin on 04/18/2015
I don't know why. It's something about its symbolism, themes, messages, characters and subplots that just DO it for me upon multiple reads.

Originally Posted by Fickles/Annfie on 04/18/2015
Re: V for Vendetta, it's certainly timely, possibly even timeless...I guess I should give it a considered re-read sometime

Well, it took me almost 2.5 years, but I finally re-read V for Vendetta last night in one marathon sitting. I agree with everything you listed about its best qualities, Lardy, and I would only add one more -- UPLIFTING. Just when it starts to feel like it's too much to bear (both for the reader and for Evey,) Valerie's note with her life story appears, and the mood gradually reverses itself until by the end of the story, I felt like a great weight had been lifted off my back. I felt empowered, and even (cautiously) optimistic. Moore's Promethea had a very similar effect on me. I'm even starting to reconsider how I rank Moore's works -- maybe Promethea at 1, V for Vendetta at 2, and From Hell at 3.

Without giving TMI, V for Vendetta was exactly what I needed to read at that precise moment in my life.

Thanks, Lardy.

Ann Hebistand #938561 10/08/17 08:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
UPLIFTING. Just when it starts to feel like it's too much to bear (both for the reader and for Evey,) Valerie's note with her life story appears, and the mood gradually reverses itself until by the end of the story, I felt like a great weight had been lifted off my back. I felt empowered, and even (cautiously) optimistic. Moore's Promethea had a very similar effect on me. I'm even starting to reconsider how I rank Moore's works -- maybe Promethea at 1, V for Vendetta at 2, and From Hell at 3.

Without giving TMI, V for Vendetta was exactly what I needed to read at that precise moment in my life.

Thanks, Lardy.

Valerie's note changed my life

Myg - Andy S #938562 10/08/17 08:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Well, it took me almost 2.5 years, but I finally re-read V for Vendetta last night in one marathon sitting. I agree with everything you listed about its best qualities, Lardy, and I would only add one more -- UPLIFTING. Just when it starts to feel like it's too much to bear (both for the reader and for Evey,) Valerie's note with her life story appears, and the mood gradually reverses itself until by the end of the story, I felt like a great weight had been lifted off my back. I felt empowered, and even (cautiously) optimistic. Moore's Promethea had a very similar effect on me. I'm even starting to reconsider how I rank Moore's works -- maybe Promethea at 1, V for Vendetta at 2, and From Hell at 3.

Thanks, Lardy.

You're welcome! Love me some VfV, and I'm so glad that you got more out of it after this re-read!

Was this just the second time you've read it? I think I've read it around 4 times, which is a testament to how much I love it and how rewarding a re-read it is!

Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S

Valerie's note changed my life

You both mention Valerie's story. It is unquestionably the centerpiece of the story, the part of it that makes a really great story cross over into being transcendent! One brilliant thing about her story is it could both stand alone on its own while also lending heart context and theme to the larger work. If I were teaching an LGBT studies class (I think such a thing exists), I would make Valerie's story part of the curriculum. I just love it, even as sad as it is.

Lard Lad #941383 12/01/17 02:28 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE 12/1/17

Currently Reading

Monstress Vol. 1
Princess Leia TPB
World War Hulk
Vision Vol. 2
Darth Vader Vol. 4
New Teen Titans Vol. 6
Batman Rebirth Vol. 2
Aquaman Rebirth Vol. 2
Superman Rebirth Vol. 2
Black Widow (Waid/Samnee) Vol. 1
Postal Vol. 1
Lazarus Vol. 5
Thor: If Asgard Should Perish
Avengers: Under Siege
Green Arrow Rebirth Vol. 3
Flex Mentallo

To-Read Pile

Goldfish
Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Howard the Duck Omnibus
Bandette Vol. 2
Pride of Baghdad
Twilight Children
X-Statix Omnibus
All-Star Section Eight
100 Bullets Book 2
Rachel Rising Omnibus
Black Widow (Waid/Samnee) Vol. 2
Flash Rebirth Vol. 2
Superboy & LSH Vol. 1
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 2
Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye Vol. 1
Mother Russia Vol. 1
Thor: Quest for Odin
Avengers: Assault on Olympus
Hercules: Prince of Power
Hercules: Full Circle
Captain America: Operation Rebirth
Spider-Man: Death of Jean DeWolff
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
Doctor Strange: Into Dark Dimension
Doctor Strange: Don't Pay the Ferryman

New Stuff

All-Star Batman Rebirth Vol. 2
Postal Vol. 2
Spider-Man Sinister Six
Doctor Strange Vol. 4: Mr. Misery
Iron Man: Iron Monger
Green Lanterns Rebirth Vol. 3
Han Solo TPB
Trinity Rebirth Vol. 1
Superman Rebirth Vol. 3
Spider-Man Brand New Day Complete Collection Vols. 1 & 2
Aquaman Rebirth Vol. 3
Batman Rebirth Vol. 3
Cyborg Rebirth Vol. 2
Deathstroke Rebirth Vol. 2 & 3
Flash Rebirth Vol. 3
Hal Jordan & GLC Rebirth Vol. 2
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 3
Action Comics Hal Jordan & GLC Rebirth Vol. 2
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 3
Thor Omnibus Vol. 3
Thor by Walt Simonson Omnibus
JLI Omnibus Vol. 1
Super Sons Vol. 1
Detective Comics Rebirth Vol. 3
New Teen Titans Vol. 7
Walking Dead Here's Negan
Star Wars Vol. 5

I'm still obviously high on Rebirth and buying many volumes of different series. I try not to read too many at a time in case I get burned out or something. I still owe some reviews on the Rebirth thread and will try to do so soonish.

SO HAPPY to finally have a Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus! It's been one of the very top Omnibus collections on my wish list, and I'm so glad Marvel did a new printing to coincide with Ranarok. The first printings on the after-market were just going too high!

I was also very pleased with Lazarus Vol. 5. The momentum gained in the previous volume has only increased!

Also, I think every DC or Batman fan should read the stories contained within Tales of the Batman: Alan Brennert at some point. Practically the entirety of Brennert's comic book output is contained within this book, and it is really something special, to the point where I've just got to do a longer review here somewhere! nod

Lard Lad #941387 12/01/17 10:41 PM
Active
Active
What did you wind up thinking of Postal? At this point there's just one issue and some specials to go. I'll miss it.

My favorite Brennert story is his Deadman Christmas story. Sadly, since it's not Bat-related in any way, I suspect it isn't in there.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #941388 12/01/17 11:24 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
What did you wind up thinking of Postal? At this point there's just one issue and some specials to go. I'll miss it.

I liked it and felt it was a very unusual and interesting debut, though I'm not too high on each trade only containing 4 issues. Clearly, it wasn't so big of a hindrance to keep me from getting the next one, though.

Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
My favorite Brennert story is his Deadman Christmas story. Sadly, since it's not Bat-related in any way, I suspect it isn't in there.

Good news--it's in there!!! From what I understand, EVERY DC story, few as there are, written by Brennert is in there. In addition to the Deadman story, there's also an excellent Black Canary Secret Origins story in the book, as well!

Lard Lad #941435 12/04/17 08:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Interested in your thoughts on vol. 2 of Vision

Lard Lad #941492 12/07/17 02:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
You know, I can't explain perfectly, but I didn't think Vol. 2 of Vision quite held up to Vol. 1. It's not that it was bad at all, but it felt a little in a hurry to resolve itself in the allotted 12 issues. I'm usually not a fan of decompression, but I would have liked to have seen the story breathe a little longer. Those first six issues felt so perfect and just precisely timed. I didn't feel that with the latter six. It made the tragic happenings more hollow than I felt they should be.

I did appreciate the inclusion of Victor Mancha as a logical extension of the Vision/Ultron family. But in a way his late entrance and the consequences he brought undermined the story's more insular set-up. In the end he was kind of a story-accelerating device that eliminated some of the benefits of a slower burn. I would have liked to see more of the kids' interesting school interactions that mostly disappeared in the second half, for example.

I think, in a nutshell, that the source of my lower level of satisfaction is that the bulk of the character development happened in the first half and mostly just stopped there. It's not that they did nothing or just acted predictably, but the smaller moments gave way to big moments that could have benefited from more of the former.

I dunno. I probably need to read all twelve parts together next time to make a better judgement. But my first impression was that while the conclusion was good, the set-up was better. From all of the universal praise I've heard, I'm probably in the vast minority there.

Lard Lad #941673 12/13/17 10:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Great Gods!!! I just got in my Fourth World Omnibus by Jack Kirby!! This thing is HUGE and fucking GORGEOUS!!!!!

Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,290
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CreativityKid
CreativityKid
Pawtucket, RI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star