Who's Online Now
1 Legionnaires (Paladin), 1 Murran Spy and 21 Spider Guild Agents online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Television Trouble-Finder
Time-Scope
Answering Questions with Questions XVI
by Invisible Brainiac. 08/24/17 12:18 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac. 08/24/17 12:17 AM
I'm Thinking of a Legion Character IV: A New Hype
by Invisible Brainiac. 08/24/17 12:17 AM
Legion Trivia 5
by Invisible Brainiac. 08/24/17 12:16 AM
Legion of Doom Idol (Round 3)
by Emily Sivana. 08/23/17 08:20 PM
Time Leaves Its Scars (an LMB Onevision)
by Paladin. 08/23/17 07:57 PM
The Writers' Discussion/Ideas Thread
by Paladin. 08/23/17 05:06 PM
Re-Reading the Legion: Archives Volume 18
by thoth lad. 08/23/17 04:41 PM
Universe-Monitor
DC Comics
Legion Wiki
LMBP Yahoo! Group
LMB Wiki
Facebook Legion World
Twitter Legion World
Legion at Cosmic Teams
Legion of Super-Bloggers
The Legion Omnicom
Legion Abstract
Year 3000 - Legion RP site
The Future Begins Now - Legion RP site
We Are Legion - Legion RP site
Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe - Legion
Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics - Legion
Legion of Super-Heroes Online Companion
Hero History at Major Spoilers
Interlac, the Legion of Super-Heroes APA Facebook group
Klordny: Devoted to the Legion of Super-Heroes
APA 247 Yahoo! Group
It's OK, I'm a Senator
Get-a-Life Boy's Legion of Super-Heroes Site
Titanstower
The Legion Files
Heaven4Heroes - Legion
Legion of Super-Heroes fanfic
Glamazonia presenta: Legione Dei Super-Eroi
Super Future Friends
Legion of Substitute Podcasters
Blockade Boy
The Legion of Super-Heroes - Kevin Leung's Original Comic Art Gallery
The Superhero Network Entertainment Group
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#935652 - 08/10/17 08:06 AM Mister Miracle  
Brain-Fall-Out Boy Offline
Reservist
Brain-Fall-Out Boy  Offline
Reservist

Texas
The first issue of Tom King's Mister Miracle maxiseries is out, and it is everything I could have hoped for. It's a meditation on depression and alienation, with the same lyrical beauty as King's Vision series. Mitch Gerads' art is perfect. It freels very different in different scenes, in very appropriate ways, while also feeling unified. I'm terrible at art-talking, but I will single out his portrayal of Orion, where his mask almost looks like it was pasted over another drawing, creating a feeling of the mask obscuring something much different and darker than the super-hero costume. Which is, of course, perfect for Orion.

I've read some online reviews, which are of course uniformly stellar. I disagree with one that tried to describe Scott Free as a Christ figure, something I don't really see in the comic. The opening tableau could easily have taken on Christ imagery if that was the intent, but it was framed in such a way that there really isn't any.

i don't want to get into many specifics, since the main point of this post is to encourage anyone who isn't already planning on picking it up to do so. Not that I think a lot of you need much pushing, as this is a hottly anticipated book in these parts.

#935674 - 08/10/17 10:20 AM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Myg - Andy S Offline
Wanderer
Myg - Andy S  Offline
Wanderer

San Diego
I bought it digitally. The art really stands out as a unique "voice" in today's market. I appreciated how different each panel was - the ways that "seeing" was distorted on the page (that's the best description I have of it).

The story is definitely there to intrigue. There's not a linear approach. I mean, I think I know what's going on, but I could be wrong. And I don't mind that at all.

I appreciated the balance of background characters. And I really hope that _____ is not really dead.

#935675 - 08/10/17 10:31 AM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Dave Hackett Offline
Dave Hackett  Offline

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
When King introduced a suicide attempt for young Bruce Wayne over in Batman, it left me cold and I couldn't buy into the narrative or reaction at all. This though, this is something altogether different that's it's hard to believe it was the same writer. Definitely a return to form on the level of Vision with the maturity and craft. I'm still conflicted, as Scott has always been a beacon of hope despite the horrors he's endured and escaped, but maybe that makes him the perfect character to show that depression, trauma and your own demons can impact the best of us. It was deeply affecting and unsettling. The use of Godfrey and Orion were both brilliant, as was the oppression of Darkseid staring at you on every page, while he doesn't "appear" once. Certainly a must-read book.

#935676 - 08/10/17 10:36 AM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Dave Hackett Offline
Dave Hackett  Offline

Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy

I disagree with one that tried to describe Scott Free as a Christ figure, something I don't really see in the comic. The opening tableau could easily have taken on Christ imagery if that was the intent, but it was framed in such a way that there really isn't any.

Barda explicitly calls him the "Son of God" at one point (not just Son of Highfather, or son of "a" god), and heir to the Throne of Heaven. Hard not to take that and make certain leaps. it also adds to the crushing weight of expectation on Scott. He's not ready for war, but even Barda pushes him. Lots of ways to read it and guess at what's "really" happening.

#935729 - 08/10/17 07:33 PM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Paladin Online content
Paladin  Online Content

The Underbelly of Society
My CBS was out today when I went. It was my fault as I had never thought I'd want it on my pull until I read all the positive reviews. I told him to save me the inevitable 2nd printing and put me down for the remainder. If it's this good, I don't wanna trade-wait.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#935732 - 08/10/17 10:13 PM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Brain-Fall-Out Boy Offline
Reservist
Brain-Fall-Out Boy  Offline
Reservist

Texas
Okay, clearly my mind skipped right past those cues, which are pretty hard to argue with. smile I guess I just don't see a lot of it in the story as a whole, but this is clearly a book that invites us to interpret it through a lens of our own viewpoints, and I guess the issues it stirs up in me just aren't very religious in nature, despite it being a book about gods.

Here is a piece that is less review then critical analysis. It is heavy on spoilers, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have already read the book, or don't care about detailed spoilers.

http://www.cbr.com/mister-miracle-tom-king-mitch-gerads/

#935758 - 08/11/17 09:19 AM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Dave Hackett Offline
Dave Hackett  Offline

#935781 - 08/11/17 11:01 AM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Cobalt Kid Offline
Bold Flavors
Cobalt Kid  Offline
Bold Flavors

If you don't want my peaches, ...
Haven't read it yet but I had a feeling this was going to be awesome. King is MUST-READ right now and I'm thrilled he's getting the room he needs to show his stuff on some Kirby material. I've mentioned this before, but DC lately has been on fire with its miniseries and maxiseries. They've almost all been excellent.

Lardy, I recommend you pre-order anything King for the forseeable future!

#935820 - 08/12/17 08:39 AM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Myg - Andy S Offline
Wanderer
Myg - Andy S  Offline
Wanderer

San Diego
Apparently the shops around town are OUT of Mister Miracle (at least the two I walked into) ... That's kind of cool

#935847 - 08/12/17 04:36 PM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Myg - Andy S]  
thoth lad Offline
Tempus Fugitive
thoth lad  Offline
Tempus Fugitive

Touring Bgtzl and Bgztl with M...
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
Apparently the shops around town are OUT of Mister Miracle (at least the two I walked into) ... That's kind of cool

They weren't bought, you know. They just managed to escape on their own...

Watch as thoth lad tries to escape the baying mob from this thread...ouch! that's got to hurt...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
#935896 - 08/13/17 02:21 PM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Pov  Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving

Up a Gumtree
lol rotflmao

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#936229 - 08/19/17 11:10 AM Re: Mister Miracle [Re: Brain-Fall-Out Boy]  
Fat Cramer Offline
Fat Cramer  Offline

Caf Cramer
Did they print like 100 copies? I got the digital issue from Comixology and, like many others, signed up for the rest of the series. It really looks captivating and there was a lot of substance in the first issue; even the unadorned "Darkseid is" panels contributed to the sense of a growing threat. And I hope a certain somebody isn't really dead, but everything changes.

The Son of g(G)od comment surprised me, but come to think of it, Jesus was the ultimate escape artist when it came to death, so perhaps it's more comparative than religious.

Holy Cats of Egypt!

Monitor Duty
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics20,193
Posts945,892
Legionnaires1,677
Most Online170
Aug 15th, 2017
Newest Legionnaires
Brainwise, truce57, xxx, Knightshade, EzraLas
1677 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Time Bubble
Holo-Vids
21CL Shrinking Violet
Catalyst Queen for Legion AU Project
Color Kid by Jay Fosgitt
Roll Call
Dain
Dain
Somewhere in the Multiverse
Show All Member Profiles 
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star