Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/29/24 03:38 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives Volume 18
thoth lad #936959 09/03/17 08:02 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
S'more.

Originally Posted by thoth lad

Originally Posted by HWW
…or perhaps he wanted her for other reasons. It must get very lonely sleeping on a dead world for centuries.

Eeeewwww! Considering her abusive relationship with Mordru.

Yeah, poor Mysa.

Comic book major villains are never into sex, it seems. But in the real world, Darkseid would have thousands of concubines. Of course, they're all dead by the Legion's time. What's a lonely god to do?

Originally Posted by thoth
The always cut the panels where the hero collapses, gets a James Brown cape put over them, and then recover enough to continue. Copyright reasons I guess shrug

Imra tried to find Garth's cape from his original costume, but he had donated it to charity . . . of space!

From the time I started reading, the three founders were starting to look a little distant. Rokk would spend time with Lydda and the Subs, while Imra and Garth would move into parental roles. Then there was the retirement subplot and Legionnaires Three. I might feel differently about them if I had been reading since the beginning, but I quite liked the transition of characters out of the main Legion. It’s something DnA would pick up more fully in Hypernaturals.

I, too, liked their retirement as Legionnaires. It was a progressive and natural move and a sign, I thought, that comic books were growing up by featuring real-world transitions. But I could only hope. Imra's eventual return, and Jeckie's, represented a sort of backwards move--though, in a rare, enlightened twist, it was the wife who returned to the Legion, not the husband.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Future #936964 09/03/17 11:57 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by HWW
In 290, he says he likes the job of leader but wants to earn it in his own right. He also says, ". . . I've made the Legion my home--and I want to give it my all" (p. 21). So, he is intensely devoted to the Legion, perhaps more so than any other member. This may come from the fact that he has no place else to go--no family or home world, like most of the other Legionnaires, but it may also be that he is the type of personality who throws himself 100 percent into any role he's given.

In 291, he argues with Ultra Boy about postponing the election and later makes a point of analyzing his teammates' tactical advantages in fighting Mordru (p. 13). He also appears genuinely hurt when Star Boy rides him about not anticipating the condition in which they find Mordru (p. 14). So it seems to me that Jan is desperately trying to prove himself, to show the others he is decisive and well qualified for the job. Perhaps another way to put it is that he has all the same insecurities as Garth but more mature ways of dealing with them.

Thanks for your thoughts on him. I was also getting the feeling, even from the Annual, that he was very focused on the Legion, possibly to the extent that his personality had been lost in it. With all the issues I think he already has, the loss of the election may have had a big impact on someone who thinks they have given everything to the team.

All Legion and no play, makes Jan a dull boy.
- Jan relaxes at the Overlook Space Hotel after The Great Darkness Saga smile

Originally Posted by HWW
I think I can relate to Jan in this regard.

Uh oh! smile

Originally Posted by HWW
Yeah, that's a shitty thing to do--but businesses are run on similar decisions.

The Kent’s General Store in Smallville: The Kents have just monopolised the sale of produce from the local farms. It’s more than they can actually sell, but it’s put all their rivals out of business, and into abject poverty.

Ma Kent: Do you think that was a sh1tty thing to do?
Pa Kent (smugly): Not at all! Businesses do this all the time!
Clark (using his super hearing): >gasp!< Lex was right! People are selfish, ruthless and greedy! I’ll join up with him! He’ll tell me what those kids from the future were really after!

Originally Posted by HWW
Yeah, poor Mysa. Comic book major villains are never into sex, it seems. But in the real world, Darkseid would have thousands of concubines.

That would have been quite a policy change from the Comic Book Code folks smile

I like to think he never really got over Suli… and Tigra of course. Besides, what would his next kid be like?

Originally Posted by HWW
Of course, they're all dead by the Legion's time. What's a lonely god to do?

Maths, maths, maths. That Anti-Life Equation doesn’t write itself! smile

Originally Posted by HWW
Imra tried to find Garth's cape from his original costume, but he had donated it to charity . . . of space!

Where you can also get Miss Terious costumes and come across many Sir Prize outfits!. smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Future #936973 09/04/17 08:29 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Additional...

The Election was announced way back in #282, with the results planned to be announced in #291.

I wonder how the tally changed when Levitz came on board. Was there already a groundswell of Dreamy voters, or was it a late push following her solid apperances under the the new team? Were Nura, Jo and Jan already ahead when Levitz put them in as the contenders?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #937000 09/04/17 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by HWW
I think I can relate to Jan in this regard.

Uh oh! smile

Don't worry. If I become the Progenitor, I will spare you and every else on LW.

Originally Posted by HWW
Yeah, poor Mysa. Comic book major villains are never into sex, it seems. But in the real world, Darkseid would have thousands of concubines.

That would have been quite a policy change from the Comic Book Code folks smile

As with a lot of these stories, you have to read between the lines. hmmm

I like to think he never really got over Suli… and Tigra of course. Besides, what would his next kid be like?

I'm not that familiar with Darkseid's extra-Legion history. These characters are unknown to me. But one imagines there must be a lot of illegitimate Darskeids running around. Their surname could be Fitzseid or something.

I wonder how the tally changed when Levitz came on board. Was there already a groundswell of Dreamy voters, or was it a late push following her solid apperances under the the new team? Were Nura, Jo and Jan already ahead when Levitz put them in as the contenders?

Good questions. While we'll probably never know the answers, I imagine Dream Girl's victory was brought on at least in part by the realization that, in the Legion's entire history, there had been only one female leader to this point. Levitz has certainly made his views on equality known in these stories, and he made a point of showing Nura to be competent and capable on Orando and in the backup story on Naltor, so those depictions might have swung the votes in her favor.

He Who Wanders #937024 09/05/17 05:29 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders

But will you recognise us after the aeons?! Poor Monstress!

As with a lot of these stories, you have to read between the lines. hmmm

Or dress up like original Invasion Outfit Mordru. smile

I'm not that familiar with Darkseid's extra-Legion history. These characters are unknown to me.

I remember reading he'd been married, and a minute of google-fu later... I prefer not to know that the history is all mapped out. But then, I've not read many of the 4th World stories so perhaps it works there.

But one imagines there must be a lot of illegitimate Darskeids running around. Their surname could be Fitzseid or something.

Miss Thomson, 5th Grade Teacher: Timmy! Where has little Gordon gone?
Timmy: Dunno Miss...
Miss Thomson: You were just talking to him.
Timmy: >looks sheepish<
Miss Thomson: >eyes narrowing< Did you use your Omega Beam on him?
Timmy: Might've...
Miss Thomson: You bring him back, right this minute!
Timmy: But Miss, he'll be a zombie...
Miss Thomson: I don't care! Right this second!

Good questions. While we'll probably never know the answers, I imagine Dream Girl's victory was brought on at least in part by the realization that, in the Legion's entire history, there had been only one female leader to this point. Levitz has certainly made his views on equality known in these stories, and he made a point of showing Nura to be competent and capable on Orando and in the backup story on Naltor, so those depictions might have swung the votes in her favor.

Looking at the other in-story candidates (not that the readers knew them when the poll started), I think that the best person won. Jan has been a solid deputy, but was catty to Brin and puffed himself up before a fall when checking out Mordru. Jo, and the readership, need time to get over the Reflecto saga smile Had that been... well, coherent... it might have been a big story for him, gaining him lots of extra votes.

thoth lad #937060 09/05/17 04:40 PM

But will you recognise us after the aeons?! Poor Monstress!

Uh, well . . . ask me again in a billion years.

Looking at the other in-story candidates (not that the readers knew them when the poll started), I think that the best person won. Jan has been a solid deputy, but was catty to Brin and puffed himself up before a fall when checking out Mordru. Jo, and the readership, need time to get over the Reflecto saga smile Had that been... well, coherent... it might have been a big story for him, gaining him lots of extra votes.

I think the best person won, too. Jan was awful snippy in 292--Nura makes a point of noticing that he didn't congratulate her on winning the election. Later, he dismisses her victory by telling Star Boy, "your lady" won the election--as if to minimize Nura's independence. (Then again, maybe he's just getting back at Thom for the latter's crack about not anticipating Mordru's condition. Either way, Jan's been mooching on sour grapes.) Jo is the proverbial "act first, think later" jock. He seems to boss even Mon-El around.

But Nura doesn't win just by default. Levitz had truly set her up to be smart and capable, and she demonstrates those qualities again in 292 (jumping head).

He Who Wanders #937079 09/06/17 07:23 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

she demonstrates those qualities again in 292 (jumping head).

You may be reading a different version of the comic than the rest of us. ElasticLad

Future #937091 09/06/17 12:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
LSH #292 Darkness Transcendent by Paul Levitz, art by Keith Giffen & Larry Mahlstedt, colors Carl Gafford, letters John Costanza

[Linked Image]

The Takron Galtos team finishes their clean-up and discusses the mystery of the Master. Cham arrives as the newest resident of Takron-Galtos, unseen by his teammates.

Dream Girl, with her sister the White Witch, leads the team from Naltor to the Sorcerers’ World, joined by Brin, Brainy, Thom and Jan. The Takron-Galtos team’s cruiser is blasted apart by four Servants as it approaches. Shady wonders why her power manages to confuse them. Mon-el rushes into a portal to confront the Master, is shocked by what he sees; the Master takes a moment to figure out why Mon-el recognized him “in this century” and comments that Daxam is very interesting. He sends Mon-el hurtling out of the portal, unconscious.

On Earth, the three founders analyze information gathered on the Servants and discover that they are clones of Lydea Mallor, a Guardian and Kal-el.

On Sorcerers’ World, Nura and Mysa address the Teachers and ask for their help. Dawnstar is skeptical. Brin is rebuffed by Ayla. The teachers implore the Legionnaires to stay with them, since no trouble will come to their world. They suddenly realize they are wrong, as the skies darken and mystical energies are sucked into a vortex, leaving destruction in their wake.

Wildfire and Dawnstar fly off to confront the servants; Wildfire hurls Dawnstar into space to protect her. He realizes he can not fight four of them and is blasted apart as he flies away.

The teachers seek an enchantment of life to battle the darkness and, through a space-warp, a baby appears. Nura has a feeling that this baby is just what they need.

On Earth, Imra, Garth and Rokk call on reserve and on-leave members for help.

On the Sorcerers’ World, the Legionnaires are losing the fight with the Servants. Brainy suggests a tactical retreat to the Teachers’ island but Nura tells him that they must keep the island safe at all costs. Brainy activates his force shield but, as the Servants approach, the Master appears and angrily silences them, then shatters the force field. He returns Dirk, Blok and Dawnstar to them, unconscious, and keeps Wildfire’s helmet as a souvenir. He announces that they may live due to a service rendered him by one of their own, then disappears.

The Legionnaires are confused and discouraged, but Dream Girl laughs, pleased that the island remained safe and the baby undetected by the Master. Two of the sorcerers died and their world was damaged. Nura does not know what role the child will play, only that he will somehow cause the defeat of the Master.

Comments:

The saga unfolds gradually: more fights with the Servants, the Sorcerers get involved, Mon-el meets the Master face to face, provoking an interest in Daxam, and suffers from the encounter, Cham arrives as a prisoner of Takron-Galtos, we learn the identities of two more Servants and a mysterious baby appears. These events are the foundation for further and serious consequences, in the next issue and beyond, but there is still no outright identification of the Master.

The baby is a real wild card for first-time readers. Nura only has a feeling, not a vision that this baby will defeat the Master – so the situation still seems precarious.

The other big mystery is what the Master thought when he realized Mon-el was from Daxam.

What’s particularly interesting are the Legionnaires’ various comments and interactions. Wildfire protects Dawnstar against hopeless odds. She thinks magic is nonsense. Ayla gives Brin the cold shoulder – no “the world is about to end, so let’s be friends again”. Jan snipes at Thom.

Nura slips easily into the leadership; even Brainy defers to her and Wildfire is remarkably snark-free. She displays no moment of self-doubt or indecision.

The trial of Chameleon Boy is not included, only the result. Just as well, since there wouldn’t have been any impassioned defence. The whole thing probably took two minutes. Whether or not the Legion is aware of this development isn’t clear, but they certainly have enough other problems to distract them.

The Sorcerers and their world are visually interesting. Their complacency is quickly shattered, which is a good lesson about living in an ivory tower. They pay the price, with deaths and damage, although, even forewarned, they might not have stood against the Servants.

The cover is pretty blah, compared to many of the scenes in the story itself.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Future #937092 09/06/17 12:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Young me would like to get something off his chest regarding this issue:

75 cents? 75 CENTS?!?!?! Is DC Crazy? Do you know how many more empty bottles I'll have to excavate from the old lady down the street's basement to pay for my comics now? It really stinks down there! My cousin has a subscription and HE isn't paying more per issue (EDIT from future me: ... yet). 75 cents is 3/4 the price of an annual! I don't see any extra pages here! What a rip-off! If comics go any higher, I'm out!

Future #937093 09/06/17 12:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's only going to get worse, young Dave.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Dave Hackett #937101 09/06/17 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett

You may be reading a different version of the comic than the rest of us. ElasticLad

I'm not sure what you mean, Dave, but she acts decisively and shows good strategic thinking in 292. She orders the Legionnaires into battle while she stays behind to safeguard the most important aspect of the mission: the arrival of the child who is key to stopping the master. Since her infrequent visions have not proven very useful in battles, I think this was the wise choice.

Are you seeing something I'm not?

Future #937105 09/06/17 03:28 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
LoSH 292

An unusual design splits the cover diagonally contrasting the desperate battle against the mockeries with the peaceful calm of Nura Nal and child. Nura would be anticipating the more Material Girl aspect of a Madonna by a couple of years. smile Readers hoping to pick up futuristic parenthood tips from the Great Darkness Saga would be left trying to contact DC’s complaints department.

The close up of Nura jars a little with the long shot of Dirk and Brainy fighting off Orion. A visual of Brainy’s force field affecting proceedings would have been useful too. He’s not adding much, other than being green, alien and promoting jumpsuits, here.

The Splash page this issue takes us to the clean up on Takron Galtos. It’s not as good an introduction as previous issues, with an overly complex piece of technology being used to rehouse one of the prisoners. There is a slightly more gradual exposition piece over the next couple of pages to its credit. While the pacing of the overall story may be affected, it’s important to remember that each issue had to make new readers comfortable enough to get into the story.

The inmate, Harug, looks as though he may be Imskian. If only he had given a hint to a certain upcoming plot. The Legion has a vacancy these days for a Micro Lad stand in. Typing of subplots, this introduction segues seamlessly into one. As the sub group of Lar, Tinya, Jo and Shady (sporting a science police uniform following the destruction of her costume last issue) leave, Chameleon Boy arrives to begin his sentence (“Treason and wilful endangerment of United Planets diplomats”) in a single panel.

While he was guilty, (not that it’s stopped other Legionnaires trying similar things in the past) his subplot has been seen in glimpses. None of the departing Legionnaires mention him. Nor do any of the others in the issue. We didn’t get to see the trial, conviction or, at least, the walk of shame past the Legion statues. It could be that Levitz had planned so far ahead that he knew things would turn around. But, at present, poor Cham has been abandoned.

The terse dialogue as we’re told Dream Girl is the new leader, with Element Lad always the bridesmaid, doesn’t quite work for me. It strikes an odd note, like Cosmic Boy telling off Saturn Girl last issue. So Nura’s in charge as the team arrive on the Sorcerers’ World. Nura makes a point of Jan not congratulating her (Jan = Sulk Lad). She tells her sister that this isn’t the first mission that she wanted. It reminds me of Phantom Girl’s leadership at the end of v7, where things went very wrong. Newbies Blok and Jacques are tasked with being amazed at the shifting landscapes of Sorcerers’ World. It no doubt adds to Blok’s crush (ouch!) on Mysa.

With so much at stake the Legion are sending in three shuttles to make their stand. The last ship gets hit by the appearance of a Kul-Thooom! Tube. It’s Jo, Lar, Tinya and Shady up against four mockeries. The creatures’ master shows off his Advanced Villainy Diploma, by lurking in silhouette at the back.

Shady still wonders why her powers are effective. Jacques has recovered from his encounter behind the portal, but clearly no one has bothered having a chat to him about it. The battle follows the same pattern as last issue on Takron Galtos. Again, Shady & Tinya are unconscious very quickly, and again Lar looks to tackle the master directly. This time, he gets to see and recognise the master villain (should have got Jacques to draw a sketch). He’s taken out of action, before he can reveal anything to the others. Lar has had alternate identities such as Legionnaire Lemon and Marvel Lad to fall back on over the years. Here is an early appearance of his Coma Kid identity. He’d be in this condition again at the end of the Baxter series and at the end of v7.

In a key moment, our Villain learns about Daxam, through some handy Plot Telepathy. He wonders for a moment how Mon El knew of him. Luckily for everyone, the Dark Master didn’t pick up the concept of Time Bubbles from Lar as an alternate explanation for this.

Back on Earth, the three founders try to learn the secret of the mockeries, picking up from their encounter in last issue’s back up feature. Computer processing power does have some limits in the 30th century. Fortunately, all top line computers now come with a Big Stick (or I-Stick) to which additional power can be applied. The grip on the device means it can only be used by someone with superpowers, meaning that Levitz was years ahead of things like Ellis’ super-powered shiftships and a lot of the tech in the Authority. Brainy would have a couple of other attempts at Augmentors in later issues. Imra is impressed by a villain with the sheer power to obtain cells from what she assumes must have been a living Guardian. It’s a very effective bit of dialogue. It’s only been in subsequent years that the bodies of Guardians have littered the battlefields of numerous DC Events. smile

A recovered Garth adds the power and, in a scene with lots of very nice displays, we learn that the mockeries are derived from Superman, a Guardian and Lydea Mallor. Mallor had been dead for 2000 years and not the 1000 suggested by the Legion Acronym series. Superman’s birth date, or at least launch date from Krypton, is given as 1948.

As Cosmic Boy wonders who else the villain may have cloned, I wonder if anyone has any favourites who could have been considered for such a treatment? DnA used a few later on, there’s the lost one from the Annual, and then there was Lobo in the TMK run. There’s no reveal on the one with the Astro Force, despite him having bragged about it. It’s sad that a Wiki equivalent doesn’t make it into the 30th century. smile

Levitz doesn’t get enough credit for matching speech patterns to the cultural background of his characters. Each of the teachers has a distinct voice, tied to their powers. It’s a limitation that extends to their worldview too, as they are oblivious to the rampage of the mockeries across their world. To their credit they are quick to react. For all his power, the villain doesn’t end up immediately at the teachers’ isle. It’s only because Mysa spent so much time on the world, that the Legion made their way without any inconvenience. Could it be that our villain isn’t quite as all powerful as he seems to be?

As the Legion converse with the teachers in a big (easy to blow up) cluster, we get a character moment and a continuation of a subplot. Dawny considers magic to be fakery. Having spent so much time emotionally dependent on Brin, Ayla is chillingly cold towards him. It’s hard to imagine that he hasn’t tried to talk to her in all this time.

One good thing about having precognitive powers is the ability to plan well in advance. Alternatively, you can just point to the blazing battlefield and tell your colleagues to win, as Nura does here. smile She does get them to split up at least. Presumably this is to divide the mockeries, but they all end up fighting in the same space later on.

It’s Wildfire and Dawny in the lead, as the Legion’s quick response team. Considering the danger such a position has, Drake is very overprotective of his partner. Dawny can fly at super speed and can resist the vacuum of space. Drake on the other hand is only as resilient as his suit. He roughly pulls her way twice in this scene. His heart may be in the right place. But since he’s an energy blob it’s hard to tell, and it could be that he’s a bit too far removed from basic interaction than he’d like.

Wildfire fights bravely, but he’s knows when to cut and run. Unfortunately, he runs right into his advancing colleagues, and his suit is blasted as a result. Should the Legion emerge from this, I hope he learns from his actions here. Dawny loses her tiara. Is this, like Tasmia last issue, a sign for a costume change? The whole scene is a really well choreographed, with very consistent character portrayals.

As Nura & Mysa watch the teachers weave a magical solution, the Legion try to hold off the mockeries. On Earth, having realised the power of their foe, the founders call in the reserves. This includes Superboy, whose return to the 20th century looks a bit plot convenient/odd now. Luornu is keen to participate, and mentions guilt at not helping to stop the return of Computo. Her involvement there would have been welcome, but this perhaps shows just how traumatic her experience against it was.

It looks a bit desperate for our heroes. With Supes back in the 20th century, Lar in a coma and drake’s suit destroyed there’s only Jo and Blok for sheer strength. And Jo is back with Lar. Sun Boy somehow survives a punch from the Superman mockery.

There’s a missed opportunity for Blok and/or Ayla to really shine. But Star Boy does make a real difference here, showing he has the power to drop mountains on opponents. I quickly check to see if Brainy is making notes for any potential trial (or at least a Mock one smile ). But the Coluan is expanding his forcefield to try and protect the teachers’ isle. There’s clearly some balancing required with Brainy. On one hand, you don’t want him to be a plot solving panel hog. On the other, you don’t want him relegated to emotionless-guy-with-force-field. This story puts Brainy too much in the latter camp for me.

The mockeries approach the Legion’s last stand (no idea why Tinya and Jo haven’t caught up). But their master has grown impatient. He effortlessly breaks through Brainy’s force field. But not to conquer. He returns Dirk and Blok to them. Dawny had been trying to save them off panel, but is now unconscious too.

The villain reminds us subtly of the information on Daxam, provided to him by Lar. But he still has no reason at all to break off the attack. He could easily have fulfilled his goal on the Isle and still followed up on Daxam. An alternative bit of plotting could have had the Villain learn of Daxam during this last desperate stand, and break off the conflict suddenly with the thought of so much power.

The main antagonist departs with some Cosmic Villain Mocking and a Wildfire ornament for his Mantelpiece of Doom. We see the reactions of six Legionnaires. Element Lad’s sense of self, his ego, has been badly dented. Timberwolf responds with animalistic aggression (the treatments might not have taken from Levitz’s return issue). Meanwhile Jacques is reminded of his childlike fear in the presence of the Legion’s foe. Thom provides a dose of realism. His appearance in this panel makes me wonder if he’s a Giffen stand in.

Nura’s laughter is completely at odds with this. She knows that they have changed the future. Her vision hasn’t been a misinterpretation. The fabric of time in the DCU has changed. The villain was going to win, and their magic has stopped it. This sort of knowledge gives Nura a very different perspective on the universe around her. It’s something to consider when thinking about how she lives her life.

In the last panel, the silhouettes of the Legionnaires face the coming darkness. I think the final cover of the Baxter run deliberately reprised this ahead of the Five Year Gap.

The teachers’ spell has delivered a baby into their midst. They have sacrificed two of their number Their appearance and speech patterns have also altered, suggesting that even the survivors have lost part of themselves. Wider still, a lot of the magic of the world has also been lost to the Villain. This is an action that will have consequences in later years.

But our heroes now have a counter to the Villain’s power. There are greater forces than the Legion or the teachers at work here, Nura says that her explanation of the baby’s purpose “sort of came to me that way.” She’s not in full control of her thoughts, and the story concludes with the hint of deific power that was on the cover.

He Who Wanders #937106 09/06/17 03:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

I'm not sure what you mean, Dave, but she acts decisively and shows good strategic thinking in 292. She orders the Legionnaires into battle while she stays behind to safeguard the most important aspect of the mission: the arrival of the child who is key to stopping the master. Since her infrequent visions have not proven very useful in battles, I think this was the wise choice.

Just your typo. wink

Last edited by Dave Hackett; 09/06/17 03:37 PM.
He Who Wanders #937110 09/06/17 04:12 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Cramer
The other big mystery is what the Master thought when he realized Mon-el was from Daxam.

I probably got that one before I was ever able to identify the Villain. smile

What’s particularly interesting are the Legionnaires’ various comments and interactions. Wildfire protects Dawnstar against hopeless odds. She thinks magic is nonsense. Ayla gives Brin the cold shoulder – no “the world is about to end, so let’s be friends again”. Jan snipes at Thom.

It’s partly these that put this run of the Legion as one of the peaks. There aren’t too many wasted panels, and a considerable number combine plot, subplot, character progression and/or establish something visually too.

Nura slips easily into the leadership; even Brainy defers to her and Wildfire is remarkably snark-free. She displays no moment of self-doubt or indecision.

That was the way I remember the Adventure stories to be (well, except where the plot specifically needed the leader to lose his cool (oooh Dirk pun smile ) The team would defer to the leader, trusting their judgement. There’s a bit more antagonism bubbling under the surface here, but Nura handles herself well.

I note that Garth’s haircut has gone along with his mental difficulties. Coincidence? Or has the off-panel Prince Valiant/ Proty crossover finished?

The trial of Chameleon Boy is not included, only the result. Just as well, since there wouldn’t have been any impassioned defence. The whole thing probably took two minutes.

it’s all run automatically by Computo’s slightly less psychotic Batch Brother.

Whether or not the Legion is aware of this development isn’t clear, but they certainly have enough other problems to distract them.

I see this subplot highlighting the Legion as professionals rather than friends.
Jan: Did you hear about Cham’s sacking?
Thom: Yeah, stupid venture with low yield return.
Jan: So, how was the rest of your weekend?

The only difference is the disrepute that Cham’s actions have brought to the Legion. That was one of the reasons why Garth was peeved in the first place I thought.

The Sorcerers and their world are visually interesting.

Very different to Khundia, Orando and Earth which is an excuse to give some praise to the art team. It was another very good issue from them.

Their complacency is quickly shattered, which is a good lesson about living in an ivory tower. They pay the price, with deaths and damage, although, even forewarned, they might not have stood against the Servants.

Good point. The teachers had illusion without and within.

The cover is pretty blah, compared to many of the scenes in the story itself.

I wonder if it was just Nura and kid initially only for editorial to demand some action be put on it. smile

I don't think Dave is referring to Nura's familiarity with editorial. Oh, Dave smile

Future #937112 09/06/17 04:19 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The cover shot is a little odd, especially the choice to have Blok not only be there, but be profiled from an angle where it's even harder to differentiate him from a Servant. If you are looking to draw folks in who aren't familiar you'd think you'd use a Legionnaire with a brighter colour scheme to make the contrast sharper.

Dave Hackett #937114 09/06/17 04:28 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
The cover shot is a little odd, especially the choice to have Blok not only be there, but be profiled from an angle where it's even harder to differentiate him from a Servant. If you are looking to draw folks in who aren't familiar you'd think you'd use a Legionnaire with a brighter colour scheme to make the contrast sharper.

smile I didn't even notice it was Blok. I never paid any attention to one of them shooting, what I must have assumed was, his own guy. smile They always were a backstabbing lot lol

Considering some of Blok's dark moments, how creepy would a "Why don't you join us and serve a new Dark Master?" scene for him?

Fat Cramer #937117 09/06/17 05:19 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
LSH #292 Darkness Transcendent

The story-title-slash-cover-blurb is false advertising! There's hardly any darkness, and the contents are certainly not transcendental!

I'm exaggerating, of course, but I do think that, after a strong first installment and a flawed but solid second one, the story spends this whole wonky issue doing little more than spin its wheels. Except for the scenes on Sorcerors' World, it feels to me like padding.

I also have to wonder: Even though Giffen doesn't get his first co-plot credit until next issue, is it possible that maybe Levitz still gave him too much rope on this issue? Or maybe the editor-shift from Sutton to Berger was already under way, two issues before it's listed in the credits? There's too much "telling rather than showing," in my opinion. We don't see two of the sorcerors die, nor do we really get a sense of the devastation wrought upon the planet, except for that one panel of the magical energies being funneled through the Boom-Tube. There are also no real segues from the initial attack on the planet to the sorcerors regrouping for the enchantment to the exposition-dumping on the last page. Instead, we get a lot of Legion-versus-villains fighting that, except for Mon-El's confrontation with the Master, feels redundant to me.

Finally, the artwork really deteriorated in this issue, to my view at least. The facial close-ups of the Legionnaires are more hideous than ever, their body language is more rote than ever. Giffen's designs of the Sorcerors and their planet, especially the architecture, could have been interesting if only Mahlstedt hadn't inked them in a manner more befitting a pre-schoolers' coloring book! There's very little atmosphere on display, and very little contrast between the look of the planet before and after the attack.

Two more issues to win me over, then.

And I feel I should make it clear, I'm not here to throw this beloved storyline under the bus, nor this beloved era. I just go into each issue with what I feel are reasonable and fair expectations. Issues 286-289 met, and in some cases even surpassed my expectations. But, so far, the issues that have followed have almost consistently underwhelmed me.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Future #937127 09/06/17 10:17 PM
292:

The cover is certainly different—the pink (or is it salmon?) color alone departs from what we might expect of an action-packed saga. Then there’s the image of Nura cradling the infant, seemingly unconcerned about her colleagues being blasted by the Servants. Is she dreaming the battle? The infant stares directly at the reader with in intelligent gaze (or is it gas?). In its own quiet way, the cover is disconcerting.

In the story, things happen quickly—a lot of ground (and space) is covered, but none of it feels rushed. Our heroes linger on Takron Galtos just long enough to deliver exposition and then they’re off—and Cham’s fate is inserted in such a way that I felt sorry for him. Having been one of the mighty Legionnaires, he must now sit this battle out. He doesn’t even rate an acknowledgement from his hurrying teammates.

The next two pages deliver more needed exposition but in such a way that moves the story forward and keeps things interesting. Nura looks confident in the command chair of the cruiser, yet allows her vulnerable side to show to her sister. The Sorcerers’ World is truly a wonder to behold.

By Page 5, we’re back in the battle again, as the Servants attack one of the Legion cruisers. Mon-El is used to great effect; by recognizing the “Master,” he provides us with a clue that we readers should also recognize him—someone Mon would have been aware of a thousand years earlier. I don’t even mind that Mon is taken out of the action so quickly. His role in this story adds a vital plot twist: Just why does the Master think Daxam is “a splendid concept”?

Many other things happen in the story. The three founders figure out some stuff and summon reinforcements. Mysa and Nura plead with the teachers of Sorcerers’ World, who are fittingly lost in their magical opulence and blind to the harsh reality approaching. Brief but great character interactions follow: Brin and Ayla, and Dawny and Wildire. Then an exciting and well-paced battle sequence begins.

Very little is wasted in this issue. The story, the characters and the settings all work together surprisingly well, leading up to the revelation that a baby will save them. Okay, this one made me grown when I first read it. But there is a certain mythical aspect involved: The baby Jesus . . . Arthur pulling a sword out of a stone . . . even Luke Skywalker. The idea that someone innocent and young will save the world is nothing new. It fits in quite nicely with the mythical aspects of Darkseid/the Master as an evil god.

Once again, the Master abandons his assault before achieving victory, but here his choice makes sense. In learning about Daxam, he now has an entire world of super-powered minions waiting to do his bidding. Why does he need to trifle with Sorcerers’ World?

The artwork is rough in places, but the action scenes and layouts more than make up for this. One standout page is 12, which is composed of four vertical panels—three of which feature different groups of Legionnaires taking flight; the arrangements of the characters shows an appealing parallelism. The fourth panel focuses on Nura, but it, too, fits into the overall pattern of the page.

Another standout image consists of the overhead shot of the three founders surrounded by video screens and control panels on p. 8. The Legionnaires are closed in, but there is a sense of unity and purpose in this shot. In fact, the images of the green video screens on this page as well as pp. 9 and 17 create an atmosphere that seems oddly cozy; there is a feeling that all is right in the world as long as these three work together. Colorist Carl Gafford doesn’t get near enough credit.

Some may differ, but I think 292 is a step up from 291. It is more purposeful and moves the story forward in a huge way. Almost all of the featured characters have something interesting to do, and, by incorporating elements of myth and magic, the story connects to something larger than a self-contained super-hero universe.

Future #937138 09/07/17 04:48 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive

Originally Posted by HWW
The cover is certainly different—the pink (or is it salmon?) color

Cosmic Boy always insists that colour is salmon smile

Originally Posted by HWW
Then there’s the image of Nura cradling the infant, seemingly unconcerned about her colleagues being blasted by the Servants. Is she dreaming the battle? ,,, In its own quiet way, the cover is disconcerting.

There’s a definite classical dichotomy in the cover, which I think Giffen was going for. The beatific “mother” and child combined with the medieval inferno images of the twisted mockeries and their attack on mankind.

Originally Posted by HWW
The infant stares directly at the reader with in intelligent gaze (or is it gas?).

Well, if you’re going to spoil the ending…”Enough! I Shall Travel To A Universe That Does Not Require Nappies To Be Changed!”

Originally Posted by HWW
Cham’s fate is inserted in such a way that I felt sorry for him. Having been one of the mighty Legionnaires, he must now sit this battle out. He doesn’t even rate an acknowledgement from his hurrying teammates.

Probably because of reading this era first, Cham seems to be an isolated Legionnaire. Not because of his homeworld or his abilities. Not because they gave him some espionage trappings. Not because he’s pining after Elwinda. But because he was separated from, and unacknowledged by the others during this period.

Originally Posted by HWW
The Sorcerers’ World is truly a wonder to behold.

Points for the art team for bringing it to life. Just think of all the comics that give fairly flat, uninspiring backgrounds. Part of the impact of the Teachers’ illusions being stripped away from them, is how well they were built up in the first place.

Originally Posted by HWW
Mon-El is used to great effect…by recognizing the “Master,” he provides us with a clue that we readers should also recognize him—someone Mon would have been aware of a thousand years earlier. I don’t even mind that Mon is taken out of the action so quickly. His role in this story adds a vital plot twist: Just why does the Master think Daxam is “a splendid concept”?

I was looking forward to your comments on Lar this issue. He’s always been the Legion’s powerhouse. In Levitz 2.0 we’ve got to see his scientific background and, here, a real indication of some of the knowledge he has stretching back a millennium.

In the Annual Nura said “much of our bioscience comes from his home world of Daxam.” I wonder if some readers connected The Villain’s words here with that. Perhaps the Legion’s foe was looking for a way to cheat Death, as per the Adventure story when they tried to resurrect Lightning Lad?

Originally Posted by HWW
…leading up to the revelation that a baby will save them. Okay, this one made me grown when I first read it. But there is a certain mythical aspect involved: The baby Jesus . . . Arthur pulling a sword out of a stone . . . even Luke Skywalker. The idea that someone innocent and young will save the world is nothing new.

I was saving my Child Lad comments for next issue, but groan is right smile

Originally Posted by HWW
It fits in quite nicely with the mythical aspects of Darkseid/the Master as an evil god.

It does, but I didn’t get too far past the groan smile

Originally Posted by HWW
Why does he need to trifle with Sorcerers’ World?

Trifle gives me an appetite. And you don’t want to give me an appetite. But alas, Tenzil has been written out deliberately. The writer knew that the Villain was no match for his punnery! smile

Originally Posted by HWW
One standout page is 12, which is composed of four vertical panels—three of which feature different groups of Legionnaires taking flight; the arrangements of the characters shows an appealing parallelism. The fourth panel focuses on Nura, but it, too, fits into the overall pattern of the page.

Another standout image consists of the overhead shot of the three founders surrounded by video screens and control panels on p. 8. The Legionnaires are closed in, but there is a sense of unity and purpose in this shot. In fact, the images of the green video screens on this page as well as pp. 9 and 17 create an atmosphere that seems oddly cozy; there is a feeling that all is right in the world as long as these three work together.

The panel layouts generally have been excellent. The more it goes on, the better they’re getting in terms of dealing with the increasing density of story layers.

The transition from page five, where Kalibak mockery engages with Jo, to the long drop panel in page six is excellent. Likewise, the bottom panel of page six, where Mon El flies towards the portal sets up a change in environment for a very powerful full encounter on page seven. Nura’s win panel on page eleven serves a similar purpose.

I agree about page nine. The comfortable functionality of the computer room is at odds with the growing revelations of the results they get there. The horizontal panel use pushes the reader down from reveal to reaction to reveal. It’s very well done.

Originally Posted by HWW
Colorist Carl Gafford doesn’t get near enough credit.

If there wasn’t already so much to type about in this run, I’d definitely be spending more time talking about the pacing and story construction. But it’s far from being just Levitz and Giffen show. Mahlstedt has a great knack at bringing out the best in Giffen’s pencils, regardless of the little style differences that appear sometimes.

I’ve mentioned before how much I like Gafford’s work in this era. As Giffen settles in I really appreciate the amount of detail in some of the scenes and what a great job Gafford does in making it all so consistent. It’s not just the palette I really like (and I really like it), but the subtlety he brings to it too. Constanza has always been a top-drawer letterer. Who better to bring out a certain New Genesian feel to proceedings than the guy who worked on the Fourth World stories in the early 1970s.

Originally Posted by HWW
Some may differ, but I think 292 is a step up from 291.

>gasp< choose between my babies?! smile #291 shared some similarities in plot structure with #290 but…nope… can’t play favourites with Legion issues… smile

Dave Hackett #937145 09/07/17 12:22 PM

Just your typo. wink

Ah, I see. And I also see I typed "grown" for "groan" in a later post. That's what I get for rushing.

Yes, I are a English perfessor. Why do you ask?

thoth lad #937166 09/07/17 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by HWW
The cover is certainly different—the pink (or is it salmon?) color

Cosmic Boy always insists that colour is salmon smile

Well, he should know. And if we disagree with him, he might slap us.

Originally Posted by HWW
The infant stares directly at the reader with in intelligent gaze (or is it gas?).

Well, if you’re going to spoil the ending…”Enough! I Shall Travel To A Universe That Does Not Require Nappies To Be Changed!”

The real enemy of GDS: The dreaded Gas Giant!

Originally Posted by HWW
Cham’s fate is inserted in such a way that I felt sorry for him. Having been one of the mighty Legionnaires, he must now sit this battle out. He doesn’t even rate an acknowledgement from his hurrying teammates.

Probably because of reading this era first, Cham seems to be an isolated Legionnaire. Not because of his homeworld or his abilities. Not because they gave him some espionage trappings. Not because he’s pining after Elwinda. But because he was separated from, and unacknowledged by the others during this period.

It's always interesting to read how fans who came in later than I did interpret the characters and their relationships. It's also fascinating to realize we had to wait this long, until Levitz Mk II, for certain characters such as Element Lad and Chameleon Boy to develop discernible personalities. For me, Cham really comes into his own in these stories. He's made a stupid mistake and paid the penalty. In spite of that, he acquits himself quite well when an unexpected threat arrives on Takron Galtos. (I'm trying not to give away spoilers.) This leads to his eventual return to the Legion and to his father--older, wiser, and more appreciative of the chances he's been given.

Originally Posted by HWW
The Sorcerers’ World is truly a wonder to behold.

Points for the art team for bringing it to life. Just think of all the comics that give fairly flat, uninspiring backgrounds. Part of the impact of the Teachers’ illusions being stripped away from them, is how well they were built up in the first place.

Indeed. A lot of thought was put into how Sorcerer's World should look. The payoff, in terms of its value to the overall story, is minimal--but that shows the level of dedication this creative team had to the series. Little details, such as the images on the viewscreens at HQ, add to the sense of reality of this fantastic future world.

Originally Posted by HWW
Mon-El is used to great effect…by recognizing the “Master,” he provides us with a clue that we readers should also recognize him—someone Mon would have been aware of a thousand years earlier. I don’t even mind that Mon is taken out of the action so quickly. His role in this story adds a vital plot twist: Just why does the Master think Daxam is “a splendid concept”?

I was looking forward to your comments on Lar this issue. He’s always been the Legion’s powerhouse. In Levitz 2.0 we’ve got to see his scientific background and, here, a real indication of some of the knowledge he has stretching back a millennium.

In the Annual Nura said “much of our bioscience comes from his home world of Daxam.” I wonder if some readers connected The Villain’s words here with that. Perhaps the Legion’s foe was looking for a way to cheat Death, as per the Adventure story when they tried to resurrect Lightning Lad?

On one hand, it gets old when Mon-El is repeatedly taken out of the story so easily. This gets back to a point I made earlier that the writers hadn't really thought through potential weaknesses (both physical and emotional) for the Legionnaires. However, here it works quite well. Stephen King once advised writers to "murder your darlings" for the sake of writing a better story. So, if Mon has to spend some time in a coma to advance the plot, I'll go with it.

I'm not a science guy, so the whole "bioscience" bit went over my head. It was like revealing that Dirk collects sculpture or is a good navigator: It's one of those "specialties" the Legionnaires had but didn't really play much of a role in any story or tell me anything revealing about the character. It was good, though, to see Mon participate in the med-lab in the annual and GDS. It gave him something new to do.

Future #937199 09/08/17 12:33 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Keith Giffen did the cover of Amazing Heroes #15 (Sep 1982), with Mysa and Nura fighting off the Servants of Darkness.

[Linked Image]

Future #937299 09/10/17 12:11 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Nice cradle! And Mysa's very calmly kicking ass.

One thing that's curious about the story so far is that, unlike the Computo tale, no one outside of the Legion seems to be aware of the menace. There's no cause for SP/Earthgov involvement at this point, and the Legionnaires themselves don't really know what's going on, but it seems odd that there wouldn't be some reference to alerting the SPs or the United Planets. It does fit in with the idea of darkness and unknown monstrosities lurking in the shadows; it's just quite different from the Computo experience.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #937310 09/10/17 04:36 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Well, he should know. And if we disagree with him, he might slap us.

I was thinking that as I typed my post smile

Originally Posted by HWW

Well, if you&#146;re going to spoil the ending&#133;&#148;Enough! I Shall Travel To A Universe That Does Not Require Nappies To Be Changed!&#148;

The real enemy of GDS: The dreaded Gas Giant!

The galaxy is saved and it's a tearful, yet joyous, occasion as the Legion admits F'Aartt, The Flatulence Lad into their esteemed ranks. Mysa provides a wonderful illusory fireworks display, with real ones being too dangerous to use around Flatulence Lad.

Originally Posted by HWW
It's always interesting to read how fans who came in later than I did interpret the characters and their relationships. It's also fascinating to realize we had to wait this long, until Levitz Mk II, for certain characters such as Element Lad and Chameleon Boy to develop discernible personalities. For me, Cham really comes into his own in these stories. He's made a stupid mistake and paid the penalty. In spite of that, he acquits himself quite well when an unexpected threat arrives on Takron Galtos. (I'm trying not to give away spoilers.) This leads to his eventual return to the Legion and to his father--older, wiser, and more appreciative of the chances he's been given.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he reintegrates into the team, to see if Levitz was using it as a wider arc or got inspired to extend this one.

Originally Posted by HWW
On one hand, it gets old when Mon-El is repeatedly taken out of the story so easily.

Mordru: Pitiful Legionnaires! You should not have trifled with me!
Tenzil: Trifle? That gives me an appetite, and you don't want to give me an appetite!
Nura: Oh Tenzil. Your jokes go down like lead balloons.
Lar: Did some one mention lead?! Gaaah! >passes out<
Nura: Oh No! We've lost Mon El for the mission!

As long as every episode doesn't have to have a few panels explaining why Mon El can't save the day. smile In GDS Levitz has had to shuffle Superboy around a little through time to get around this. Putting Lar into a coma also makes sure he's not up and about. But this was one adventure where Mon El could really have cut loose without it really stopping the villain.

Originally Posted by HWW
This gets back to a point I made earlier that the writers hadn't really thought through potential weaknesses (both physical and emotional) for the Legionnaires. However, here it works quite well. Stephen King once advised writers to "murder your darlings" for the sake of writing a better story. So, if Mon has to spend some time in a coma to advance the plot, I'll go with it.

I often think that people get too hung up on that quote in relation to bumping off the cast, where there was a wider idea involved in advancement as you mention. Funnily enough, I was reading Faulkner's (who came up with the quote) The Sound and the Fury last month. It was one of many I've enjoyed more with a few more years under my belt.

Originally Posted by HWW
I'm not a science guy, so the whole "bioscience" bit went over my head. It was like revealing that Dirk collects sculpture or is a good navigator: It's one of those "specialties" the Legionnaires had but didn't really play much of a role in any story or tell me anything revealing about the character. It was good, though, to see Mon participate in the med-lab in the annual and GDS. It gave him something new to do.

Comic Book Science rarely gets past some nice looking lab equipment and a character spouting whatever it takes to get the Plot Effect. smile Look! Tenzil is thin! Chuck isn't! Ayla's got Lightning Powers! And he's a she! oh, wait that one wasn't science based... smile Still, enjoy this time. Mon El will bring a white dwarf star to Earth later on, and in the wider DCVerse Earth will become the centre of the universe.

What it does for the group, is move their utter dependence on Brainy, while emphasising things we had seen from them in the past. So, lots of good research by Levitz to remember that Dreamy has been involved in altering superpowers, and that Daxam has a history of biological research.

Nice cradle! And Mysa's very calmly kicking ass.

Would I be right in thinking that the chair is supposed to be a variation of Metron's Chair. The appearance of a broken god, his quest for knowledge having brought him, and those he encountered, nothing but ignorance and misery might have made for a nice Metron cameo. Despite his questing, he's still a puppet of other powers, and he brings them the gift of a child.

Despite things looking bleak on the cover I'd like to think that:-
Sun Boy is a moment away form blasting the area with yellow light.
Nura says "Remember the Kents" to the Superman mockery, turning it against the other villains.
Mysa says : dieskraD it taeB! (A spell of similarity between herself and the spirit of Zatanna) smile

One thing that's curious about the story so far is that, unlike the Computo tale, no one outside of the Legion seems to be aware of the menace. There's no cause for SP/Earthgov involvement at this point, and the Legionnaires themselves don't really know what's going on, but it seems odd that there wouldn't be some reference to alerting the SPs or the United Planets. It does fit in with the idea of darkness and unknown monstrosities lurking in the shadows; it's just quite different from the Computo experience.

Really good point. It's been quite Legioncentric, with no checking of Coluan archives or the mystical legends of Orando etc for info on the Villain. Likewise, no sense of preparation from the UP despite the many thefts and attacks.

President Allon: Hi son, Just calling to let you know Chameleon Boy's trial is tomorrow.
Gim:>quickly stops snogging "Vi" for a minute to answer the call< Thanks Mom! We might pop in if we manage to defeat the all powerful villain who wants to crush the galaxy.
President Allon: That's nice son. Don't forget the Adlers will be coming for dinner afterwards, and their daughter is just dying to meet you.
Gim: Oh mom!

Future #937402 09/12/17 03:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
LSH #293 Within the Darkness by Paul Levitz, art by Keith Giffen & Larry Mahlstedt, colors Carl Gafford, letters John Costanza

[Linked Image]

Five Legion cruisers fly behind Dawnstar, Superboy, Wildfire and Ultra Boy, with a mission to find the Servants. Nura, Ayla, Blok and Mysa tend to comatose Mon-el. Mysa explains that her magic is limited and that she is little more than an apprentice.

One of the teams arrives at the barren planet which Tasmia and Lar had investigated. Superboy receives a holographic message from Luornu, imploring him to find the Master so that she might redeem herself for not fighting Computo. On Earth, the founders, Chuck and Lu discuss the situation.

On Takron-Galtos, Cham fights other Durlan prisoners, depsite have his powers nullified by antennae bindings. R.J. visits him and the two reconcile.

On Daxam, the Master arrives.

Val, Jeckie, Gim and Violet join the search for the Master in separate ships.

Mysa and Jacques watch the baby, who is now visibly older. As they turn aside to greet Blok, red flames emerge from the child’s eyes and he appears to grow older still.

Nura checks in with Jan’s cruiser; he feels insulted that she inquires into his search results and rebuffs her compliment that he’ll be a great deputy leader.

The Master enslaves the inhabitants of Daxam and moves the planet to a yellow sun, switching its place with his barren planet. Dawnstar tracks the Master to Daxam, only to find that it is the barren planet and that Tasmia, Tinya and Jo lie injured. Dawnstar tries to guide Jan’s team in to supply medical support, but that cruiser is brought down. Dawnstar is grabbed into a void as two Servants attack Wildfire. These two are attacked in turn by Jan’s team, which had not been in the crashed cruiser since Brainy sent it down empty on auto-pilot. Wildfire turns his full energy force on one of the Servants, who has suggested he might keep Dawnstar as a toy. Brainy has also equipped Superboy with circuity to give him powers under the red sun.

The Daxamites, now super-powered under the yellow sun, are commanded by the Master to burn their planet and reshape it.

As Superboy fights the Superman Servant, his circuitry is destroyed. However, Jan shields him in lead, turns other rocks to gold kryptonite and Timber Wolf destroys the now de-powered Servant.

Wildfire is distressed over Dawnstar’s disappearance, but Jacques finds her hanging invisibly in stasis and rescues her. Brainy deduces that Daxam has been taken captive, switched with the barren planet and its residents given powers equal to Superboy’s. He also has figured out the Master’s identity. Indeed, Daxamites fly into space on the Master’s mission to conquer the universe and Daxam is revealed to have been reshaped to be the face of Darkseid.

Comments:
The action really ramps up in this issue with rapid scene changes and more scenes with the Master himself. Things go from bad to worse and the miracle baby doesn’t seem to be helping at all. Although the reader may have suspicions, the Legionnaires are still figuratively in the dark regarding the Master’s identity, until the end. Brainy’s explanation of the evidence and the legend explain Darkseid for any readers not familiar with the character.

There’s a wide range of reactions to the crisis: Chuck’s optimism, Violet’s sense of hopelessness, Gim’s reliance on the team, Jeckie thinking the whole thing is silly, others feeling bewildered about how they can stop the Master.

Nura keeps a firm hand on the leadership which must have a good effect on the teams. She doesn’t waver, show any self-doubt, lose her cool or criticize anyone. Quite a change from Garth.

Jan behaves poorly with Nura in terms of civility, which clearly surprises her, but she doesn’t give him any grief about it. (At some point in the series, whether past or possibly future I can’t recall, he called her “beautiful”. An untold story of unrequited or rebuffed love? An embarrassing crush?) Tensions are running high and he’s been under some stress as acting leader so blowing off steam is credible. He does redeem himself by playing a critical role in defeating some Daxamites and the Superman Servant.

I like how Jacques fits right in with the group. No newbie jokes. He doesn’t screw up and isn’t overawed by the more experienced members, which is something we will get with the Academy student stories. He’s still discovering how his power works and what it can do. Talk about hitting the ground running!

Wildfire’s affection for Dawnstar has been well handled. It’s not creepy obsessive at this point; you get the sense that he genuinely cares for and watches out for her. Okay, so maybe he’s a little protective – but it struck me as more of a sweet romance than the jealous dependence of later years.

It’s also nice to see Tasmia not obsessing over Lar’s condition and sitting by his side. She’s needed on the front and that’s where she is.

Lu finds an excuse to speak with Superboy. The circuitry Brainy had given Kal doesn’t survive the Servant’s attack, which explains why Brainy didn’t equip him on a permanent basis – too unreliable. (I’m still waiting for an explanation as to why Brainy hasn’t given everybody forcefield belts.)

Physically exchanging Daxam with the Master’s planet is pretty awesome, and accomplished in a single panel. That’s what being a god is all about. The enslavement, mind control and powering of the entire population of Daxam is mega-awesome, although we won’t see the effects until the next issue.

Cham’s story gets some needed attention with a reconciliation with his father. It’s a quiet moment with age-old mortal emotions which is in sharp contrast to the mayhem.

For all the cold and darkness that is felt on contact with the Servants and Darkseid, there’s a great deal of fire and mayhem. This covers the full spectrum of human/sentient fear, from the cold stillness of death and the unknown to the frenzied panic of destruction.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,308
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia