Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Spider-Man Homecoming
#933342 07/09/17 12:13 PM
strange but not a stranger
OP Offline
Has anyone saw this? Opinions? I think I am Spider-man movied out. Plus the extended scene in Captain America: Civil War (aka Avengers 2.5) didn't make me want to see this. I may see it next weekend.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Re: Spider-Man Homecoming
Quislet, Esq #933381 07/09/17 03:57 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I might go see it this upcoming weekend when a friend comes to visit. I'm not expecting much more than your average MCU movie, but I'll always give a Spidey movie a chance.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Quislet, Esq #933948 07/16/17 08:06 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I saw it last night and had a fun time at it. The high school melodrama feels a bit forced and falls pretty flat at times, but the action was really solid. Holland is a great Spider-man, though Keaton is kind of bland as a villain. I'm interested to see where the next movie goes and if they can build it into something more substantial next time.

Quislet, Esq #934443 07/22/17 12:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wow. That's a whole lot of no one giving a dang.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Quislet, Esq #934444 07/22/17 12:18 PM
OP Offline
Yup. And it doesn't seem to be only us here on Legion World

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
rickshaw1 #934465 07/22/17 08:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Wow. That's a whole lot of no one giving a dang.

I finally saw it today with the kiddos. I might have gone sooner, but a combination of work conflicts and a touch of ambivalence about yet another Spidey reboot kept me from going earlier.

I did enjoy it, but anyone who says it's better than Spider-Man 2 is full of crap in my book. Yes, it captures Spider-Man's original youthful exuberance and that ol' Parker Luck better than any of the movies to this point, but I couldn't help feeling that it uses the MCU as too much of a crutch to drive its narrative and try to drive people's interest who may have similar reboot burn-out. Tony Stark's presence isn't as pervasive as the trailer makes it appear to be, but the MCU mythology, especially from the first Avengers film, informs so much of what is going on. I know a lot of people didn't want to see yet another interpretation of the origin, but the way this film is shaped and set up by the appearance in Civil War does Peter a kind of disservice. Spider-Man is a flagship character, not another cog in the machine. His first appearance in the MCU should have been in this movie and should have downplayed previous MCU events to do much more of its own thing. The cheat of having Stark tech because of the plot elements left in Civil war was especially distracting. I suppose I should at least be glad that there were no Infinity Stones involved and that Peter didn't make a different decision at the end of the movie.

Wow, I know that sounds really negative. I mean, it was a fun, exciting movie with some really breath-taking sequences. I laughed, I gasped and I cheered at various times, but at no point did tears think about coming out. I'm not saying Spidey movies should be wall-to-wall tear-jerkers, but every other of his movies have had at least one genuine moment for this (yep, even Spider-Man 3) that felt well-earned. I think there was one moment of triumph inspired by a similar one in the classic Ditko run that may have had this purpose intended--it was decent, but held no candle to the Ditko moment.

So it was definitely worth seeing, but don't for a minute believe the hype that this is better than Spider-Man 2. Not even close.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Quislet, Esq #934476 07/23/17 06:53 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I thought that nod to the classic Ditko moment was pretty cool, and the one moment where the movie actually approached something genuinely emotional. Raimi did those kinds of tear-jerkers like it was nothing, but this movie just couldn't drop the John Hughes-lite tone for something a bit more emotionally grounded for the most part. It's why it's fun, but lacks the emotional fulfillment of Spider-Man 2.

Quislet, Esq #937557 09/15/17 12:49 PM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L

I saw it a month or so ago. I was disappointed. I own all the Marvel movies I like. I won't get this one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Chameleon Boy
Chameleon Boy
RWC, CA USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star