Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/18/24 02:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives Volume 18
Fat Cramer #937968 09/26/17 06:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer

The banning of Green Lanterns from Earth is handled in a real Adventure-era fashion: one sentence. In a similar manner, the know-it-all Guardians express their full confidence in the Legion to protect Earth. Does that mean that when Rond Vidar later assumed the GL job that the Legion was failing Earth?

While the Guardians as autocratic jerks became a more prominent trope later on, there was precedent for it before this story, so it's easy to assume the Guardians aren't entirely trustworthy here. It's likely they were telling a bold-faced lie and then had subsequent Lanterns for the sector be undercover, like Rond apparently was for some time.

Future #937990 09/26/17 03:59 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
LoSH 295

The cover is an odd combination of action and tedium. Splitting it vertically down the middle, we have two frames. One has an antagonistic duo of Green Lanterns. Their green energy crosses the divide to put an early group of Legionnaires under duress. Nothing wrong with the design so far. But it’s a green hologram, being viewed by someone in the foreground. We see their hand, and know it’s Blok. But not all the background is a hologram. There’s energy patterns and a planet there too. So, is Blok watching this in space? No, he’s not and the fussy background gets in the way. The title of the tale is “The Origin of the Universe File!” Green Lanterns had at least a couple of Event level stories at this time. Those, the JLA Crises and The Great Darkness Sage were all antecedents of Crisis. The cover links in very well to the story, particularly its framing device. But the Legion vs the Green Lantern Corps over the origin of the Universe looks pretty dull here, where it should be the opposite.

The story is a fill in issue, but one that Levitz planned well in advance having Marte Allon refuse aid from the Green Lanterns back in the Annual.

It gives a chance for the creative team to take a breather, after some extra sized recent issues. Giffen draws the framing sequence throughout, to keep the visual continuity intact, while Howard Bender draws the flashback file archive viewing sequences. I note that the TMK run would have a very similar structure, when Giffen was overstretched/off in a huff in v4. Since this issue happens the day after “Doomsday” the next issue should have had its “What do you do on the day after doomsday” title revised to “More Things to do…” or “More post Apokalips Tips” smile

Light Lass has given Timberwolf an ultimatum. He looks to talk to Blok about whether he should choose her or the Legion, but his colleague feels that playing a file from the archive will help more.

Brin, with the monitor board symbol hitting his head, and Blok, with his interrupted attempts to woo the White Witch have had some of the lightest moments in recent issues. This continues here, as they trade friendly comments, easy in each other’s’ company. There’s perhaps the perception that these two are a match due to some limitation. But Brin has, and will prove to be the most instinctively accurate Legionnaire while we’ll see Blok’s excellent analytical skills in this story. In true Legion tradition, each is a lot more than surface appearance or powers would suggest.

The flashback story sits in one of the many gaps offered by early Legion history, reinforcing previous retcons. The team is recently formed, and are using flight belts. They are funded by RJ Brande who also funds the Time Institute, with one goal of it to being able to help the Legion. That refers to going back in time and recruiting Superboy and then Supergirl, or Supergirl and then Superboy depending on your preferred revision. Later revisions of revisions would have Brainiac Five and Harmonia Li also hanging around the Time Institute.

There’s also the inference that the early team were quite a bit away from being the earnest young professionals that we’d meet in Adventure. There are ways of showing that not everything works out. But the Legion look simply stupid ripping off the roof (Comic Style Science At Work!) for no reason. Imra response of mind controlling the people inside is uncomfortable reading.

Circadia Senius is introduced as the Chronarch of the time institute. He’d pop up as a supporting cast member later on. He’s clearly the Time Trapper, though. Every other company has a director, chief executive officer or director. Anyone who calls himself the Chronarch has to be watched. smile He does go off on a little frustrated rant early on too. Definitely worth watching.

“And on the seventh day god finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done.

And as he rested, he kept on being interrupted by bloody kids peering at the dawn of his work.

And god sayeth unto them ‘Get offa my lawn!’ and sent unto them warning shots of lightning.”

- From the DC Event: Genesis.

The story involves everyone wanting to take a peek at the dawn of creation, having worn out the computer programmes for History’s Best Sporting Events, Cutest Cats of All Time and P0rn Across Creation.

As Levitz forces in a badly dialogued and needless reference to Imra and Garth’s budding relationship, the team seem all too willing to meet the god of the DCU.

As characters appear in more stories, their abilities often change over time. This can be in gaining additional powers and tricks or simply firming up early suggestions and inconsistencies. Flashbacks can forget this. They not only show early characters with powers they didn’t have, but shoehorn those powers into a story.

This story does both. We now have to believe that the Lightning Beasts of Korbal gave the Ranzz family the ability to withstand energy attacks from deities. Following on from what we see here, they should have just stuck Garth and Ayla in front of Darkseid and got them to taunt him a bit. What is the celestial mystery behind the Lightning Beasts? There’s a Lost Legion Story there smile

Of course the Legion would want to know more about the power to create universes. Or rather, Mrs Krinn’s little lad, and leader in this early part of Legion history, certainly would. It’s no coincidence that Rokk “Trapper” Krinn is closest to that screen, eager to learn. He also has a plan to get around the energy blasts. He later fights it out to be Trapper against Circadia in another Lost Legion tale. smile

To: Interplanetary Insurance Inc.

Dear Mr Brandon,

I enclose my claim document, along with the requested evidence relating to our building being badly damaged by the Legion of Superheroes, before being removed from the planet entirely by the Guardians of the Universe. Unfortunately, the Guardians will be unable to travel to Earth to submit any further evidence personally, as they are uncomfortable around yellow stars.

Regards,
Chronarch of the Universe! Circadia Senius

Who needs Green Lanterns when you can personally remove things from planets across billions of light years? Comic book writers is one answer. Because we get three of them to fill up a few pages in a fight scene against the Legion, before they are all transported to Oa (do not collect 200 Venturan Walking Credits as per standard Spaceopoly rules).

They might have got flight belts, but have the Legion got Transuits yet? Something else else that Garth should have considered before he blasted out of green bubbles in a vacuum. Handily, the Lanterns have created bubbles within bubbles to make sure they get a fight. Gim and Lu don’t do much in the battle though. The low point of it is seeing that there’s a Durlan Lantern. How does this fit in with Durla’s six minute war, the problems they have on their own world and how they are perceived to the rest of the UP? Perhaps that’s another retcon away.

One Lantern says that the Guardians have no wish to interfere with the United Planets because of the organisation’s maturity. But one of them is from Durla and I’m wondering where Vidar was born. So, no meddling except for the recruitment office. Levitz reveals that no GL has been assigned to Earth for centuries. Like revealing information about the fate of the Kents or that Darkseid will be able to return past the 20th century, the Legion separates itself off from the DCU while having lots of DCU guest stars. smile

I’ve never been a fan of the Guardians. Even as a kid, you could spot the giant gaps in their logic. Here, they’ve moved firmly into cultist/ dictatorial territory. An authority based on a mythology that they made up to justify their authority. Sounds familiar. As does their little sock puppet followers who bow to their “Immortal Wisdom.” It might take willpower to work a ring, but it’s certainly not free will-power. smile

When the happy smurfs get back from their TV show, there’s going to be trouble with what the guardians have been up to smile

There’s a missing balloon from the bottom of page 9. Rokk says “You’re supposed to be heroes - - defenders of what’s right - - but you’re acting like soldiers of some alien dictator.” The missing balloon had Rokk saying “—and dictator is what I’m going to be!” He sees right through the Guardians, thanks to his Trapper ambitions smile

The dynamic between the three founders is spot on though. Rokk is the one who knows what right is; Garth is the action orientated live wire and it’s Imra who actually gets things done.

The Guardians trot out their usual nonsense. “It wasn’t our fault. It was Krona’s… There wasn’t any evil, as subjective as that is, anywhere, ever, before Krona… we could do no wrong before that, even if we wanted to… it’s not our fault, it’s the creator’s for bringing evil to the universe to punish Krona… yes, the creator does sound like a bit of a tool but instead of sorting that, we decided to create an army to impose our will on everyone else instead… blah…blah…blah…”

The Guardians tell off the Legion warning them not to peek too far into the past again. And they don’t in this story! Phoey!

Levitz makes sure to tag the story onto the Legion’s first appearance by having the three founders depart for Smallville immediately after their return from Oa. Some writers can’t leave well enough alone. If it’s not this, it’s Anti-Lad making sure Superboy has to have more than one trial with the team. Here, the team’s first trip in time doesn’t work. Instead, they pick up a number of creatures. I guess it’s a side effect of the trip going wrong, but it could have been clearer.

Rokk doesn’t mess around when squishing his creature. Years later he’d meet an insectoid Legion applicant, who devoted itself to solving the mysterious Time Murder of its Hive Mother. smile

How Vidar caused the Time Bubble to malfunction could also have been explained. Is it his glowing ring? Is that enough? Perhaps Rond’s interest in time travel technology may have come from information his father already knew by this story.

It does seem that dad is only interested in immortality here though. You’d think a galaxy with someone called Immorto running around in it would have suggested a better course of action for the Lantern.

Who is behind the Legion’s time troubles, at least, is in no doubt. Vidar, one of the Green Lantern’s has no qualms about getting blasted by lightning himself. He thinks that his ring will control the energy. But it’s yellow and he would have been calling himself The Green Cinder after this. The three founders team up to stop him. Apart from a few visuals, Lu and Gim offered nothing to this story. How watching a floaty hand would automatically grant anyone anything other than an appreciation of Giant Space Manicures is never revealed.

Returning him to the Guardians, the Oans say Vidar is the first to betray the Corps for a millennium. I’m sure the other DC editors just love having their books dragged into this (mind you, if this panel inspired Millennium, then they deserve everything they get). We saw a Hawkman floating in space last issue, telling us that Thanagarian culture is alive and well (or a cryo-museum or an antique fancy dress shop of space). Yeah, Levitz just loves to let the Legion live in its own little pocket (universe) smile

For good measure Earthgov don’t want the Guardians anywhere near Earth in the future either. It’s no surprise it’s “Trapper” Krinn who tells them that he thinks this is the right decision. Nicely getting rid of the competition there, Rokk.

Earthgov consider the Guardians interference to be “unreasonable and destructive.” But the Guardians seem to have successfully convinced everyone not to look at the start of the universe. So, they must think the Guardians are reasonable. If you’re going to banish them for damaging the Time Institute, why isn’t Gim exiled too? His actions were took off its roof for no reason smile I can only conclude that the Lanterns are banished because everyone agrees the Guardians are gits. I got the feeling that the story was pushing a little hard to get to the plot checkpoint of “explain why the Green Lantern Corps aren’t seen around the UP.”

To the screaming of a GL editor with a Legion/GL crossover already plotted, the Guardians reveal that there won’t be a resident GL on Earth for centuries to come. They seem to know an awful lot for a group that totally failed to see the betrayal of Vidar coming. Poor Rond would have to tell everyone he was a visiting GL, rather than a resident one, all the time after this issue.

The Guardians depart to find someone worthier to wear the ring. They give it to Vidar’s son at some point, before giving it all up allowing “Cry-Me-A-River” Yat to pick up the slack.

The Guardians knowledge that the worthiness of the Legion to defend the UP convinces Brin that the Legion is where his home and family is. The framing sequence is by far the best part of the book (with the exception of the comedy relief moment when Ayla interrupts them). Brin has come a long way from his Sulk Wolf days. Ayla has also reached towards a life changing decision too although this change has been more recent under the Levitz era.

The final scene is very well drawn. It begins with a shadowed Brin coming in to convince Ayla to stay and ends with a shadowed Ayla leaving both Brin and the Legion behind. Ayla’s character turns towards that exit in each panel. Giffen adds verity to the perspectives, while never losing focus on the two people in the scene. In the final panel, Brin looks towards a closed door, illustrating one part of his life that’s closed forever (or until some future writer meddles with it).

In an epilogue, Blok easily uncovers evidence to support the theory that Vidar is Universo. It’s so obvious that he dismisses it, assuming that Brainy would have already spotted it. It’s nice for the reader to have a secret that the Legion don’t know about yet. This is about as prominent as Blok has been since his earliest appearances, and there’s his character is coming through at last.

There must have been a time when I was keen to get information on the early Adventure stories, and finding out about the origins and first cases of the team. But I don’t think I was ever terribly keen on this issue. It’s like a Roy Thomas plot that exists to answer a continuity question that no one was asking. Although it does a fair job if imitating the old stories, it really doesn’t have that Adventure punch for me. There’s been a bit of retconning since the earliest Legion stories. But when it comes to showing us early cases, they’ve not been up to those standards and I prefer just having the gaps. I didn’t mind the Universo connection though,

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Future #938156 09/30/17 04:24 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive

Originally Posted by Cramer
Oh yeah, Gim was a bit of a doofus right from the start.

Hands On Allon! smile

Although facing down Guardians and Green Lanterns is no picnic, this old Legion adventure is far from the deadly menace of Darkseid .

Ah, Darkseid was no first appearance Mordru smile I did think that the menace in this issue could have come through more. But, again, I think I’m expecting too much from what the issue was supposed to be.

It’s a reminder of simpler times for the superhero group. (I’m also reminded of the 5YL scene between SW6 Violet and Devlin, in which Violet proudly recounts the important missions the Legion has tackled, all of which are kid stuff compared to the Dominators.) Nobody gets hurt, there are big animals and the bad guy is apprehended.

My Legion Reading Road Map means I read most of the Adventure issues after I read the issues from this era. I was often struck by the seriousness of a lot of the early threats. Mordru’s first appearance was chilling. Mask Man has the highest body count of any villain. The one where they’re poisoned and are recounting their final hours to the reader. They were bedded in a lot of the tropes from that era. But often an upfront battle with self-worth or lost love hits more powerfully than something drawn out over a number of issues.

You figure the kids then head off to Nine Planets for some ice cream. Bender’s uncomplicated art captures this atmosphere perfectly.

I’d still be going there so often I’d change my codename to Diabetes Dan smile

The banning of Green Lanterns from Earth is handled in a real Adventure-era fashion: one sentence.

There you go. Straight talking Adventure era action. “Oi! Guardians! Do One!” smile Although you can see Krinn looking at their robes in a covetous sort of way. He’s clearly thinking “if only they had hoods” smile

In a similar manner, the know-it-all Guardians express their full confidence in the Legion to protect Earth. Does that mean that when Rond Vidar later assumed the GL job that the Legion was failing Earth?

[FanPlot Aside]
Funnily enough, between the end of the Baxter run and the start of the 5YG, we knew things would be grim and gritty. I imagined Rond Vidar in the ruins of a post Magic Wars Earth, keeping himself, and his ring, hidden from the authorities. He’d pull his long coat around him tightly as if it helped him stay hidden. As it turned out, Rokk was a bit like that visually. I remember Dawn Allen also being part of that little Fan Plot. I was thinking that the Guardians might have forsaken the sector due to #295, so Rond’s ring isn’t quite as all powerful as it once would have been. Perhaps he only got it through something his father had managed to do. So, dealing with the devil, right from the start. [/FanPlot Aside]

Perhaps Rond was a response to the increasingly huge threats the Legion faced, with Darkseid being the tipping point. The Trapper could potentially threaten everything, for example.

Does Blok choose that holo for the message of teamwork, or does he just figure any holo will help Brin calm down and sort out his thoughts? I’m not sure if something in particular finally clarified the Ayla issue in Brin’s mind.

I think Blok knew, which means that he’s already been watching those holos for quite a while. Archivist Lad! I might have read it too quickly. I just assumed it was the last part, and Brin reacted immediately (and fortunately it was at the end of the story). So, it was the Legion pulling together against both “evil”, and those with an odd perception of “good” with a strength that would last centuries. Brin saw that he could be part of this family and tradition. It must have hit him that his Lone Wolf days were already well over, and he realised he had already found his home.

Blok is so relaxed; he’s just going with the flow among these strange humanoids, to the point that he finds it perfectly natural for Brin to watch the holo from the ceiling.

He’s very zen. Just letting the river of life wash over him, as if he was a big boulder…oh…right… smile

The ending is quite moving. Brin makes a heartfelt plea but Ayla departs, surrounded by darkness. Brin’s shadow on the closed portal looks a bit like the silhouette of Darkseid.

Does it? That would be very suggestive. I saw Batman’s pointy ears in the spiky bits of the door at the bottom of page 21. I was pretending it was the Batman from that imaginary story keeping his eyes on things. Not as meaningful as yours smile

Even this scene is lightened, however, with Blok’s ending comments that Brainy would have figured out the Vidar-Universo connection if it really existed. Blok has yet to learn that Brainy doesn’t know everything.

It’s nice that Brainy’s IQ isn’t a salve for all problems, without us being hit on the head by the writer. There was a later moment where he didn’t know the rules of Moopsball (I know! Who doesn’t?!) showing that his mind is focused on other areas.

FC doesn't know everything either, having just realized the origin of Universo's name is linked to his quest to view the origin of the universe. But since he failed, why take the name? Or was it given to him as a joke by Takron-Galtos guards, and it stuck? Vidar apparently abandoned his quest for ultimate knowledge and settled for galactic conquest, like every other A-class super-villain.

I like the idea that it’s a label the guards gave him. It could just be delusions of grandeur on his part. “Once I conquer the secrets of the universe” sort of thing. Or perhaps it’s Mr Hubris popping up again, and it’s a reminder to himself to be subtler the next time he tries to uncover the Universe’s secrets.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fat Cramer #938190 09/30/17 08:29 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy

FC doesn't know everything either, having just realized the origin of Universo's name is linked to his quest to view the origin of the universe.

Nice catch! I never drew the connection before, either. But then, "Universo" is a strange name for a master hypnotist--unless he was a carnival attraction.

The Guardians say only that Vidar will be expelled; they don't say he will be turned over to other authorities. (And, given that the Guardians view themselves as the ultimate authority, who would they turn him over to? An analogy can be drawn with the present day Catholic Church--or certain bishops, who refuse to turn child molester priests over to the police because their crimes and redemption are "in God's hands.")

One of the aspects I like most about this story is that it creates a mystery that is never quite resolved. If Vidar does become Universo, this means his son, Rond (who is about the same age as the Legionnaires), was alive at this point. Did Vidar abandon his family to join the Green Lantern Corps? Would the Guardians require such a sacrifice? (It reminds me of certain interpretations of the Bible, wherein Jesus asks his disciples and others to abandon their former lives and follow him. Some of these followers must have had families. In one parable, a young man refuses to follow Jesus when the latter demands he not bury his father first. (We're not told if the father is actually dead yet.) ) Did the Guardians demand the same singular commitment?

This all ties in very nicely with Krona and the Guardians' version of the origin of evil in the universe. There is a mythological quality to this story--something that elevates it to the status of legend or archetype. It doesn't matter if the actual event happened the way the Guardians depicted it; they believe it and use it to justify their actions.

Since I was raised Catholic, these aspects of the story resonated with me. The Green Lanterns don't question the "immortal wisdom" of the Guardians because you just don't question the Church. (At least, that's how I was taught.) Viewing the origin of the universe is like viewing the hand of God at work: something we are just not supposed to see. (Was it Moses or someone else who was not allowed to view God directly as doing so would cause him to go blind?)

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Future #938191 09/30/17 08:46 PM
295:

I agree that the best parts of the story are the framing sequences, especially the very subtle comment from Blok that Brin came to the answer Blok desired (p. 21). Blok is much smarter and craftier here than he lets on. He wanted Timber Wolf to stay with the Legion. The question is why? They hadn't really been shown interacting that much to this point, though there had been a few scenes in which they traded barbs. Clearly Blok values Brin as a friend and doesn't want to lose him.

The framing sequence/modern asides also stand out for how the Brin/Ayla subplot is resolved. First, it is resolved--a rarity in comics at this point. Second, it reveals so much about the characters: Brin having found a home and friends, Ayla still searching--star-crossed lovers who just can't get it together.

The flashback/file sequence was fun, but left a lot unexplained. The Guardians and Green Lanterns' "offense" in this issue does not seem large enough to warrant their indefinite ban from earth--especially when any help at all should have been welcomed during the Computo takeover. It is also not clear to me how Vidar's actions caused interference in the time stream. (And did anyone else notice that the Legion's code against killing does not apply to giant insects?)

Reading this story again is a lot like posting the Top 40 charts of yesteryear. We know how certain things turned out, so the excitement and uncertainty of living in the moment is lost. But it's nice to visit old memories and bygone eras once in a while.

Future #938216 10/01/17 04:17 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by HWW
Nice catch! I never drew the connection before, either. But then, "Universo" is a strange name for a master hypnotist--unless he was a carnival attraction.

I heard that he originally wanted to be “Starro.” He woke up two weeks later, unable to remember a thing but with an aversion to going anywhere near the coast. smile

Originally Posted by HWW
The Guardians say only that Vidar will be expelled; they don't say he will be turned over to other authorities. (And, given that the Guardians view themselves as the ultimate authority, who would they turn him over to? An analogy can be drawn with the present day Catholic Church--or certain bishops, who refuse to turn child molester priests over to the police because their crimes and redemption are "in God's hands.")

nod

Originally Posted by HWW
Did Vidar abandon his family to join the Green Lantern Corps? Would the Guardians require such a sacrifice? (It reminds me of certain interpretations of the Bible, wherein Jesus asks his disciples and others to abandon their former lives and follow him … Did the Guardians demand the same singular commitment?

The Guardians were always messing with Hal’s head. “You must wear odd socks for a month – Yellow socks to show that even Lanterns have feet of clay” followed up by “You must desert all that you love for a year to travel through space, even though we could actually transport you instantly anywhere if we wanted.” Actually, I think that last one happened…

My theory is that there are no Guardians. There’s one Guardian. He appears as multiple versions because Krona wasn’t the only Oan interested in time travel. You’re just seeing lots of him phase in and out of our time period. It’s all made him very unsure of what he should be doing, hence all the weird, unreasonable demands. smile

Originally Posted by HWW
This all ties in very nicely with Krona and the Guardians' version of the origin of evil in the universe. There is a mythological quality to this story--something that elevates it to the status of legend or archetype. It doesn't matter if the actual event happened the way the Guardians depicted it; they believe it and use it to justify their actions.

nod Yup. Fiction as fact if it fits your purpose.

Originally Posted by HWW
Since I was raised Catholic, these aspects of the story resonated with me. The Green Lanterns don't question the "immortal wisdom" of the Guardians because you just don't question the Church. (At least, that's how I was taught.) Viewing the origin of the universe is like viewing the hand of God at work: something we are just not supposed to see. (Was it Moses or someone else who was not allowed to view God directly as doing so would cause him to go blind?)

It's so convenient that no one’s allowed to peek. Likewise they have to ignore sounds of cursing as if someone was having trouble lighting up a bush. smile

Moses did get to see God’s butt though (Exodus). Sources do not reveal if said rear had it going on. Likewise, there is no reference found in all the various manuscripts cut and pasted into current doctrine if there was any deific booty shaking during their meeting.

Of course, not peeking is just for the locals. We, as DC readers, would find out what was really going on only a few years later. It turns out that the hand everyone is looking at is the Anti Monitor’s. Had Krona’s (and everyone else’s) viewer not blown up, we’d have seen the Spectre’s hand coming towards the first hand. The energy released from their touch would create everything. So, now you know. I like to think of this as the viewers interpreting higher dimensional forces entering into our physical universe, using the branes in M-Theory of the last 30 years or so. Cults and Science right here folks! smile

Originally Posted by HWW
I agree that the best parts of the story are the framing sequences, especially the very subtle comment from Blok that Brin came to the answer Blok desired (p. 21). Blok is much smarter and craftier here than he lets on. He wanted Timber Wolf to stay with the Legion. The question is why? They hadn't really been shown interacting that much to this point, though there had been a few scenes in which they traded barbs. Clearly Blok values Brin as a friend and doesn't want to lose him.

The designs on Mysa; the friendship with Brin; the hugs of Garth and Ayla. You’re right HWW. Why? I refuse to believe he’s just really nice and this is clearly an attempt to bring slaves to his Dark Man master. Yeah, he’s crafty all right. smile

Originally Posted by HWW
The framing sequence/modern asides also stand out for how the Brin/Ayla subplot is resolved. First, it is resolved--a rarity in comics at this point. Second, it reveals so much about the characters: Brin having found a home and friends, Ayla still searching--star-crossed lovers who just can't get it together.

Well put. I remember just how emotionally dependent on Brin, Ayla seemed to be when Levitz started his run. To go from there to this point must have taken a lot of soul searching. She fell instantly for the Lone Wolf. I wonder how the relationship would have progressed if she had stayed to see Brin continue his journey at home with the Legion family.

Originally Posted by HWW
The flashback/file sequence was fun, but left a lot unexplained. The Guardians and Green Lanterns' "offense" in this issue does not seem large enough to warrant their indefinite ban from earth--especially when any help at all should have been welcomed during the Computo takeover. It is also not clear to me how Vidar's actions caused interference in the time stream. (And did anyone else notice that the Legion's code against killing does not apply to giant insects?)

A conclusion in search for a plot. smile I did too notice Giant Insect Death! Please see previous post containing fan plot of investigating insect relative. smile

Originally Posted by HWW
Reading this story again is a lot like posting the Top 40 charts of yesteryear. We know how certain things turned out, so the excitement and uncertainty of living in the moment is lost. But it's nice to visit old memories and bygone eras once in a while.

I’d agree wholeheartedly if that Mask Man story hadn’t got under my skin so much smile

Future #938220 10/01/17 07:02 PM
^Whereas the Mask Man story did it for you, I think the one that had the same effect on me was "The War Between Krypton and Earth" (Adv. 333). The Legionnaires find themselves on opposite sides of two extraterrestrial races which want to colonize prehistoric earth. Although the opponents agree to use nonviolent weapons in their war, it goes horribly wrong and leads to real bloodshed. A solution is found, but Superboy later uncovers evidence that the Kryptonian colony was wiped out by the giant lizards (dinosaurs) they had brought with them.

In their own way, the Adventure-era writers incorporated more complex themes and sobering outcomes than Levitz ever attempted.

Future #938230 10/01/17 09:39 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
So this issue is the one in which we find out why Green Lanterns are banned from Earth on Mondays?

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Chaim Mattis Keller #938273 10/02/17 04:04 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Chaim Mattis Keller
So this issue is the one in which we find out why Green Lanterns are banned from Earth on Mondays?

And don't forget their weakness against all things yellow!

[Linked Image]

Future #938295 10/03/17 08:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It must have been on a Monday that GL Vidar came to Earth.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Future #938296 10/03/17 08:53 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
LSH #296 Night of Mourning or What Do You Do on the Day After Doomsday? By Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen, art by Giffen & Mahlstedt, colors by Gafford, letters by Costanza

[Linked Image]

Mon-el and Shady fly to the Science Asteroid for a vacation after helping out on Daxam; Mon-el is still recovering from his encounter with Darkseid.

Blok shows Mysa around the HQ and, in the storage tesseract, misses an opportunity to tell her she’s beautiful.

Other Legionnaires relax during a party to bid farewell to Ayla and celebrate Garth’s recovery. Tinya is offended by Dirk, Vi and Gim make out.snuggle. Dream Girl interrupts with a call for help at the site of a nuclear explosion in a Metropolis residential neighbourhood.Jo takes offense as an SP Captain refers to them as Dream Girl’s Legionnaires; Jan pre-empts Nura’s orders and turns the radioactive elements to helium which Jo blows out to space, causing some turbulence for a cruiser. Tinya is overcome by the loss of so many people. Dirk explains that this used to be an old protection racket, to threaten a city with a low power nuke until they paid; it ended when new torture methods were used on captured perps. Once the crisis is contained, Dirk realizes that Rokk’s family is among the injured as Pol Krinn emerges, badly burned.

Back at HQ, Imra and Ayla settle their differences and say goodbye. Saturn Girl then gets the brush-off from a dejected Brin. Gim and Vi head off on their own, observed from Weber’s World by Vi’s erstwhile boyfriend, Duplicate Boy.

At the nuke site, Shvaughn catches up with Jan to tell him there are no leads and Dr. Gym’ll grumpily heads back to Medicus One.

Elsewhere in Metropolis, some criminals are taken in by the SPs, aided by Nura and Thom, for a retina check. One escapes into a passageway and is encouraged to evade capture by a man in a bar room.

Jeckie conducts some diplomatic business and Val proposes.

Brainy and Jacques work on healing Tenzil. Jacques is called away to join a mission to the Asteroid Archipelago, headed by Wildfire.

The criminal in the bar recounts an offer to join a protection racket, which he suspects is the nuke fireballing. He’s surprised when his rescuer becomes a flaming creature, which turns out to be Sun Boy burning off his distorter. Saturn Girl has read the criminal’s mind and learns that the protection guys are at a port warehouse.

On Takron-Galtos, Reep is given a pardon due to his efforts to halt destruction by the Daxamite child. However, he discovers that his transmutation power no longer works.

Led by Saturn Girl, Legionnaires head to the port warehouse and find their suspect. Dirk questions him roughly, but three cargo handlers suddenly burst through a wall. The Legionnaires easily disable them
and the head criminal confesses to nuking a neighbourhood. The Sps take them to be tried and sentenced to Takron-Galtos by the Computo-Court.
Rokk and Lydda head back to Earth after helping restore Daxam. Rokk looks forward to seeing his family, unaware of the tragedy.

Gim and Vi dance, unaware that someone is watching them from afar.

Comments:

I enjoy these “day in the life” issues. Everybody gets some panel time. This one wraps up some storylines, advances others and begins new ones: what happens to Rokk’s family, what happened to Cham’s powers and Wildfire’s mission to the Asteroid Archipelago with three, as he puts it, newbies. It’s clear that there are plenty of other sagas yet to come for the Legion.

We learn that Daxam is under repair, but don’t see any scenes; the Legionnaires appear to play a very limited role in this. There’s reference to other clean-up operations on Weber’s World and Takron-Galtos. It’s clearly not the day after Doomsday, but some unspecified time later.

Ayla’s still around for her farewell party; this does provide some closure, especially for her relation with Imra, but I think the final scene of leaving Brin in the previous issue would have served as a more dramatic exit and would have emphasized that she’s really off on her own now.

Ironically, Earth didn’t suffer from Darkseid, apart from the theft of magical artifacts. It took common criminals to bring destruction to Metropolis, albeit of a more limited nature than Darkseid and the Daxamites might have effected. The Legionnaires have very little trouble dealing with these Earth-based trouble-makers.

There’s an oddly 21st century vibe in the mention of torture of perpetrators and over-riding the right to a lawyer. There’s a very speedy “computo-court” (you’d think they’d get another name for it after the Computo disasters) and a wise eyeball running Takron-Galtos. Justice in the future has its ups and downs. The Legionnaires themselves seem to have been hardened by their experience fighting Darkseid.

Sun Boy has a brief scene of embarrassing Tinya with an account, one presumes, of sexual exploits, but goes on to be the capable hero in later scenes and even comforts Tinya like a big brother.

Cham’s Interlac label on his prison shirt, as I read it, is “a1t”. Does that mean anything? There’s another Interlac sign, over Cyfril’s criminal pals, which I couldn’t decipher. Perhaps at this point Interlac is just being thrown about for flavour rather than actual meaning.

Shady has a new new look with short hair and a costume inspired by the full-body Science Police suit she borrowed. Personally, I like the look because it’s more practical than the blue bikini.

Jan has resigned as Deputy Leader, apparently leaving the position to Jo, who soon starts bitching about Nura.

Speaking of bitchiness, Jeckie doesn’t come off too well, in my opinion. She was griping about helping the Legion out, now she’s griping about dealing with diplomatic matters and there’s some hint that she’s been lecturing Val (“I know the rest of this speech”).

The criminal Cyfril first appeared in #285, but I had to look that up - how soon we forget petty criminals! He was deemed to have a harmless future by Naltor officials. Naltorans could have been used in the criminal justice system to predict re-offenders, just as Titanians would later be used in the Titanet. There doesn’t appear to be any effort to capitalize on native powers for the betterment of the United Planets overall.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Future #938331 10/03/17 03:48 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
LoSh 296

It’s a gruesome cover as Sun Boy carries the body of a nuclear bomb victim. A side panel shows equally appalled faces of his fellow Legionnaires. The background to that sidebar is an appropriate black.

Although the title is “What do you do the day after doomsday” this might be set a little later. Mon El has recovered from his encounter with Darkseid, has helped the Daxamites as much as he can and is now beyond the edge of the United Planets, on vacation with Shadow Lass, sporting a less revealing outfit.

They have travelled to the Science Asteroid, which only meant something to me because I’d read #300 before this one. The security chief there, Queeg, is clearly alien in the way that Cham’s lawyer was. A Policy Pam/ Lawyer Lad mini-series was sadly never released by DC.

Having failed to show Mysa the emergency procedures of a Legion shuttle, Blok’s next ruse is to show her around a tesseract (nice future sci- fi for the Legion to use. I’m not sure why the UP doesn’t just throw their enemies into extra dimensional spaces, rather than cells though). He’s just about to share his feeling beside a lovely alien sculpture… and here comes Imra’s telepathic cold shower. And for a social event too. Blok was doing just fine socially for a minute, thank you very much. I’d forgotten just how keen Blok was on Mysa, right from the start. I remembered it as more of a friendship with Blok perhaps looking for something more.

The party allows for a catch up on some character moments and subplots, something that’s hard to do when facing Darkseid.

Dirk’s night life loving, cruising personality gets a push, mostly through Tinya’s reaction to it. Since she can’t be a micron away from Jo, her reaction is possibly a strong one on a few levels.

Good ‘ol Imra. Welcoming Mysa to the party while firmly reminding her that it’s not really for her. smile

With Element Lad having quit as deputy, Ultra Boy now has the task.

Ayla says her goodbyes, particularly to Imra who then bumps into Brin in the corridor. A lot of this subplot seems to involve meeting people on the way to somewhere else. Any connection between Imra and Brin is gone. Brin returns to his terse Lone Wolf responses under emotional stress it seems. Ayla admits to a moment of jealousy, but that her mind was just needing a push to make her decision.

Vi is now quite uncomfortable around the others. Perhaps it’s the number of them, but she was okay on a mission team several issues ago.

Gim gets a Blok style interruption. Giffen gets points for showing the difference between Saturn Girl’s telepathic message and one from Dream Girl through the now standard holographic communications system. Is “ ready to move up to the Big Time?” Gim’s chat up line? Hilarious. He has picked up some confidence being with Vi. smile

Duplicate Boy likes to perv from across galaxies and the Heroes of Lallor badly need a costume upgrade.

Blok gets all huggy with Ayla and Garth. Ayla isn’t best pleased, but it’s very open gesture of affection from Blok. Considering his dark past, his attitude is commendable and, in a soap opera setting, could be just what the Legion need.

As much as the team must be grateful to get away from the hideous holo-décor of the party, it’s the atrocity of a mini-nuke that waits them.

They move in as a professional team, trained in dealing with any number of disasters. Dream Girl is firmly in charge, but the team work just on the shoulder of her commands. There’s still a bit of needle about Dreamy being leader. While she may look really competent to the reader, her teammates are clearly bringing in some personal baggage into the situation.

Thom, Jo and Jan get the job done very quickly, clearing the site without having to punch anything. Thom’s telling-it-like-it-is gets him into bother as a quip gets a firm response from Dirk. Thom could have had better timing there, and Levitz gets points getting his personality across, causing a little bit of friction that leads to Dirk explaining to the reader what’s going on.

The blast is a form of nuclear extortion. When the first city not to pay would suffer a limited range blast. It’s an always timely analogy to the politics of nuclear proliferation, when lethal technology falls into more and more hands.

Dirk tells Thom that the government invented some new tortures for the perpetrators, ending this form of crime. This is a glimpse of crime and punishment from a couple of centuries before the Legion’s time. That was the same time as World War VI where super weapons, controlled by computers, were used (Superboy & the LoSH #210 – Look It Up Lad)

Normally, comic plots would involve the super team being brought into hunt down the criminals before the blast. There are a number of scenarios as to why this wasn’t the case, varying in grittiness. I also wonder if the impact of a Daxamite ravaged UP prompted this attack, as a reminder of the tension around WW VI, or if the crooks were planning it anyway.

The reactions of the Legionnaires give a lot of insight into their characters. Giffen provides us with Nura holding herself as the bodies are lifted away and a slumped, clearly drained Jo as Jan guides a recovery flyer.

It’s tempting to say that Jan is functioning because his main concern in such a crisis is whether the candy floss seller has been incinerated (Superboy #198 – Look It Up Lad) smile But there’s a fascinating conversation with Shvaughn as the groups have a breather in the clean-up operation.

Officer Erin is glad she caught up with Jan, showing of her feelings towards the Legionnaire while still keeping a professional feel to it. Jan’s response if friendly, in offering her a refreshment. But his mind is very much on what’s ahead and he asks about leads. Erin picks up on that, responding with the work the SP are doing on the data banks. But then she says “It’s the first fireballing in a century.” It’s a combination of professional intrigue and her attempts to impress Jan while engaging on the topic in hand that make her say it in a particular way. Jan’s put down is firm and unsympathetic. He reacts only to what was said to him, not in the way it was said or who sad it. They’ve just found out that Cosmic Boy’s family were in the blast. Element Lad’s mind is very much on that and he’s got enough emotional range to know that this makes a difference, even when it shouldn’t.

Shvaughn is the keener of the two, in the early stages of this relationship. She’s sought out Jan and she wanted to impress on him the rarity of the event. So, I thought she would be the one to apologise, as comic writers frequently don’t see past their lone wolf male heroes. But she stands up for herself, and it’s Jan who apologises for being tense. Even better for their relationship, he also tells her why. It’s a really well thought out conversation, where tone plays a part raising it from just being words on the page.

It’s the writer’s equivalent of all the work Giffen has been doing on the body/ facial shapes of the Legionnaires since he started the book. And it’s both of those that make this a stand out run. There are a number of visual cues in this issue, and you can see that both Levitz and Giffen are bouncing things off of each other in addition to plotting sessions. The reader gets a product that better than the sum of its parts as a result.

As Drake and Dawnstar are the Legion’s first response to a crisis due to their speed, Tinya will be the one who has to rescue trapped people and investigate disaster zones, where brute strength would cause more damage. Seeing the aftermath of the bomb at that level overwhelms her. She’s a hero and has faced horrible threats, but she has a limit in unbearable situations. It’s a very human reaction, and one that makes her stand out from the others. It’s also consistent with her reaction all those years later, towards the end of v7, when her leadership and the UP were in complete tatters.
Since there’s a gap between her initial reaction and holding a coffee, it’s very likely that she went back in to help with the rescue, making her all the more heroic.

Both Levitz and Giffen’s portrayals of the Legion in the aftermath of this situation go further than probably anything else in showing the psychological damage that has in-part prompted Ayla to quit.

With Jo trying to clear his own head, it’s Dirk who surprisingly comes across a rattled Tinya with a coffee in her shaking hands. It’s a clear counterpoint to their interaction back at the party, where she threw her drink over him. Although the scene is interrupted by the discovery of Pol Krinn, you can see Dirk’s friendship and support towards Tinya. Partly because of his lifestyle and personality, Dirk is very good at communicating with others. Here, he’s sympathetic at the same time as he’s trying to get Tinya to fall back on her Legion work, some structure to give her something to hold on to.

This is quietly very much Dirk’s issue. I’ve mentioned his two interactions with Tinya. But as he approaches the investigation of the Firebombers, he’s also working on more than one level. While the others are all heroes, we’re left in no doubt that Dirk is Earth’s hero. He takes any attack on it very personally. Not only that, having found Pol, he’s determined to solve the case before Rokk gets back from vacation. Again, that works on more than one level. He wants to spare his old friend some of the pain of the perpetrators escaping, allowing him time to be with any survivors. But he’s already concerned as to what Rokk will do to them, if he finds the guilty parties first. That’s an interesting reveal on still-waters-running-deep-Krinn. I’m wondering just how much of Dirk’s extrovert approach was a reaction to him cracking up in the Space Mutiny issue (Adventure 318 – Look It Up Lad). It was Cosmic Boy who watched out for him at the start and at the end of that story. Perhaps Dirk is not only looking to return the aid, but is aware of the limits in some of his colleagues, having gone through it himself. At the story’s end it’s Dirk who takes the responsibility of telling Rokk the news.

Levitz has already used the passage of time in the main plot as a way of inserting the progression of subplots into an issue. It works really well here. The mission team hunt down informants who then lead them to the fireballers. I like to stress how professionally Levitz portrays the team. They should have no trouble from such people, even when they bring on huge robots to assist. And they don’t. Similarly huge robots would be used against Jo and Kent Shakespeare in v4 with similar results.

Nura breaking a nail while punching out a crook captures her character perfectly. She also tells off Thom for not bringing her in on the action when the Fireballers are apprehended. That shows the edge to her leadership needs that perhaps rub some of the others up the wrong way.

Dirk’s determination shines (ouch) through as he lets his distorter in front of the crook who has just spilled the beans on where to find the people behind the atrocity. Saturn Girl plucks out the information from the man’s head (not that she likes to meddle mind! ;smile: ).

Tone again plays a part in Imra’s exchange with Dirk. Her frosty response initially seems to be a rebuke for Dirk even thinking of implying that she wouldn’t be able to do her job. Professional tension between two people who have known each other a long time. But it’s as much to do with the focused (Space Mutiny!) tone that Dirk is using as he homes in on the killers. Giffen established fiery visuals for Dirk at least as far back as the Regulus issue. It adds a visual menace and extension to his feelings enhancing the writing.

Subplots show that Cham has been pardoned for preventing Ol-Vir from devastating Takron Galtos. But he’s lost his powers! And who is behind the Eye of the warden? (Actually, it’s not what you think)

Jeckie is caught up in diplomacy she doesn’t enjoy. She has grown effortlessly into her role as Queen. Her desire to avoid trade meetings is not a wish to return to action but a desire to return to duties of her position. Her consort, Karate Kid, is once again shown as always in motion combining his powers with his meditative side in creating a stone sculpture. Jeckie will have to marry him, if he’s to go back. It’s not an ultimatum, as other comics might have treated this. It’s a natural progression for the couple. The couple are residing at the top of a regal tower that projects above the already futuristic city. Giffen holds back on showing it made of ivory. smile

Brainy and Jacques are working together on a cure for Tenzil, with the added benefit of being able to help Jacques’ sister. Two subplots in one! Levitz then shows off even more by segueing Jacques into the next scene, where a mission team goes off to the Science Asteroid. That links us back to the start of the issue, as Mon El and Shady are in the area, and of course builds up to something that older readers will know all about. Dawny doesn’t get to say much this issue, but her comment about Wildfire not listening is perfect. Of course, he’s oblivious smile

In #295 we saw an early team of Imra, Rokk, Garth, Gim and Luornu leave the HQ to confront the Guardians. It’s quite a different visual from the Drake, Dawnstar, Jacques, Blok and Mysa team leaving HQ here.

As the fireballers are taken off for trial and incarceration on Takron Galtos, a relaxed Rokk and Lydda are returning home. Rokk frequently mentions his family in the way a character slated for death keeps mentioning his imminent retirement and his boat called Dunroaming smile

“Every cloud..” as they used to say in the 20th century. In the 30th century this changes to “Every Head-Shaped World…” as the depressed Braalian economy gets a boost, remodelling Daxam. Since Braal went down the tubes in the five year gap, I can only assume that all the profits went into the coffers of the companies that keep Braal under their control.

The last page of 293 was a Page of Foreboding ahead of the last stand against Darkseid. This issue’s final page will prove to be just as unnerving on a (literally) different scale, as Gim and Vi dance the night away and watch a sunrise together.

Levitz has always said that he had trouble creating villains. This issue has some stock corks and informants, a firebomber and some big robots. So, not exactly big-league foes. But their use allows us to look at a part of super-heroing that rarely gets seen (what happens after a disaster isn’t prevented) and how it impacts on the cast. It also allows for the main plot to fit within a structure containing a number of other subplots without hogging panel time.

Breaking the issue down –

Lar & Shady (1 & 2) Leads towards #300. Leads from #289’s vacation encounter with Apokalips. Shady’s costume changes and Lar’s injuries also lead into this issue. Lar’s explorer background has had and will have a lasting place, as will him recovering form terrible injuries with Shady at his side.

Blok & Mysa (3) – Blok’s advances. A lasting friendship came from this, if nothing page splitting. I do wonder if Mysa being part of the Curse was still in effect though. Mysa treasuring these moments after Blok’s death & the two of them together in later versions have lasted. Links to…

Party (4) – Set up for Dirk & Tinya’s later encounter/ deputy leader situation/ Ayla’s leaving.

Gim & Vi (4) / (9) / (23) -The Vi subplot has been set up (apparently) form quite a few issues ago and would have a lasting impact beyond the issues to come, where it comes to the fore. We see that Duplicate Lad is watching. His reaction leads into a later issue.

The party page would lead directly to …

Main Mission (5-7) / Mission Clear Up (10) / Investigation (11-12) / Interrogation (17) / Crook Capture (19-21) / Cos & Lydda’s Return (22). 11 pages for the main plot. There are lots of character moments in there. Among them Shvaugn and Jan’s relationship gets a small nod. It will be the biggest attachment in both character’s lives that we’ve seen. The whole main mission here is also a lead in to next issue’s spotlight on Cosmic Boy.

After Party (8-9) - Imra/Ayla/Brin – Ayla and Imra share farewells. Imra and Brin situation definitely not going to happen. Follows on from the earlier Khundia mission. Ayla’s subplot would continue in the Baxter series.

Jeckie & Val (13) – Follows on from earlier issues, including Val’s solo series and leads to a later ceremonial issue.

Matter Eater Lad (14) – The ongoing search for a cure has been in previous issues and the similar search for a cure for Jacques sister is also mentioned. This leads back to the Annual and towards future issues. Jacques departure form this scene leads into …

Science Asteroid Mission (15) All roads lead towards 300

Cham’s Pardon (18) – Leads from the introduction of RJ Brande as Cham’s father through the Khundia mission and will continue for a number of issues to come. There’s a red herring in this scene too.

It’s a packed issue. The subplots are in various stages. Each has their own beat, without cluttering up the issue. Moreover, every one of them would have some lasting impact.

Visually, there are some treats this issue. The 30th century gets alien sculptures in tesseracts, illuso-matics, circular holo news on building spires, levitating discos and drinks dispensers. A mixture of old and new. The characters get the same treatment. We get a reflection in Drake’s visor that’s a tribute to earlier artists while getting a great costume upgrade for Jeckie and a retro look for Shady. There are some great shots of cityscapes from above and in the travel ways within Legion HQ. Giffen uses an elongated left hand panel a lot this issue (3,5,10.13, 15 & 18) with minor variations of it on a few other pages. Mainly it’s for towers and explosions. But a few go beyond this, not only moving the story along but offering the feel of character movement too. Jacques rising through the transport tube to go on a mission (the shuttle taking off on the right hand panel makes for a really well composed page) and Star Boy making a villain so heavy, he falls down the left-hand side of the page. That’s something we’d see in Ambush Bug. Lots of hard work and craft in here, although I did think some of the crooks were a little cartoonish.

Future #938334 10/03/17 04:28 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
This one wraps up some storylines, advances others and begins new ones …It’s clear that there are plenty of other sagas yet to come for the Legion.

I was impressed that there was so much going on at different stages. It’s one thing to have your plotting meticulously planned, but another to intertwine them all and still produce a readable issue.

It’s clearly not the day after Doomsday, but some unspecified time later.

I had mistakenly remembered this as the next day but, like you, realised it had to be a bit later than that. Still, nice title…

Ayla’s still around for her farewell party; this does provide some closure, especially for her relation with Imra, but I think the final scene of leaving Brin in the previous issue would have served as a more dramatic exit and would have emphasized that she’s really off on her own now.

When I saw her at the party I thought “haven’t you left yet?” I took it out of my review as it seemed a little harsh. She’s not leaving on bad terms with anyone. Not even Brin really. Why shouldn’t she go as a departing member of a family? But really I was thinking I’d read the same exit scene a couple of time already. smile

Ironically, Earth didn’t suffer from Darkseid, apart from the theft of magical artifacts. It took common criminals to bring destruction to Metropolis.

That’s a good point. I guess humans don’t need gods to inflict citywide destruction.

There’s an oddly 21st century vibe in the mention of torture of perpetrators and over-riding the right to a lawyer.

They seem happy to give up a lot of civil liberty to futuristic science.

There’s a very speedy “computo-court” (you’d think they’d get another name for it after the Computo disasters)

It makes you wonder what computer is really running Earth and it’s elections. We saw Computo still possessing Danielle in a previous issue. It’s just that Levitz didn’t know who to interpret wifi back then smile

… and a wise eyeball running Takron-Galtos.

It makes you wonder what… oh wait… I’ve just done that one… smile

The Legionnaires have very little trouble dealing with these Earth-based trouble-makers.

The Legionnaires themselves seem to have been hardened by their experience fighting

We’ve seen the Legion as capable professional heroes since the beginning. But there’s perhaps more maturity going along with it now, as they’ve got older.

Sun Boy has a brief scene of embarrassing Tinya with an account, one presumes, of sexual exploits, but goes on to be the capable hero in later scenes and even comforts Tinya like a big brother.

I thought that was a nice touch having the two scenes connect.

Cham’s Interlac label on his prison shirt, as I read it, is “a1t”. Does that mean anything? There’s another Interlac sign, over Cyfril’s criminal pals, which I couldn’t decipher. Perhaps at this point Interlac is just being thrown about for flavour rather than actual meaning.

Like the letters pages, I’ve just been skimming right past the Interlac. Back in the day, I’d either have dug out that issue with the handy guide.

Incidentally, I was reading a fairly recent film mag that was featuring Ghost in the Shell. As part of the cityscape behind the main character was a spire with holographic writing circling around it. Just like Giffen in this issue!

Shady has a new new look with short hair and a costume inspired by the full-body Science Police suit she borrowed. Personally, I like the look because it’s more practical than the blue bikini.

I quite liked it too. Although I quite liked her later Baxter costume too. Did someone suggest a link between her powers and skin showing somewhere?

Jan has resigned as Deputy Leader, apparently leaving the position to Jo, who soon starts bitching about Nura.

Hmmmm. I like your deductive reasoning. Clearly they have been possessed by Bounty’s (from v4) annoying sibling Snark Lad! This villain is clearly undermining Nura by latching itself onto anyone taking up the deputy role. The Legion wold foil this plot in the unpublished “The Hunting of the Snark (Lad)”

Speaking of bitchiness, Jeckie doesn’t come off too well, in my opinion. She was griping about helping the Legion out, now she’s griping about dealing with diplomatic matters and there’s some hint that she’s been lecturing Val (“I know the rest of this speech”).

Aristocracy at work, or rather at not work. smile

Bystander 1: Say, he looks familiar!
Bystander 2: Really? But form where?
Bystander 1: >gasp< I’ve left my Who’s Who Binders at home!
Look It up Lass: Never Fear Citizens!

The criminal Cyfril first appeared in #285, but I had to look that up - how soon we forget petty criminals!

Now his comment makes sense! Thanks Look It Up Lass!

He was deemed to have a harmless future by Naltor officials. Naltorans could have been used in the criminal justice system to predict re-offenders, just as Titanians would later be used in the Titanet. There doesn’t appear to be any effort to capitalize on native powers for the betterment of the United Planets overall.

What gets me is why the Naltorians got this one wrong. Will our crook go straight after being hauled in this time. Or are the Naltorians releasing criminals around the UP for their own reasons? Hmmmmm…

Future #938338 10/03/17 07:54 PM
296:

Thoth did such an awesome job of analyzing this issue that I don’t have much left to say. It is probably one of the best-paced and plotted single issues of Levitz’s run. Again, this reads very much like an episode of Hill Street Blues with a lot of subplots being advanced and some resolved. The villains are ordinary criminals who enact a horrendous scheme of extortion, just as most of the criminals on HSB were lowlifes who were easily captured. The stories provided us with a glimpse into the personalities and characters of men and women who put on uniforms and try to maintain some semblance of order in a city full of chaos. The Legion fits this role perfectly in this story.

The title “What Do You Do the Day after Doomsday” does not have to be taken literally. Clearly, life goes on following any momentous event—Pearl Harbor, JFK’s assassination, 9/11—and the continuance of life involves many tragedies and horrors which do not qualify as “doomsday” and may seem anticlimactic, except to those who experience the event. I’m writing this post two days after a deranged lunatic murdered 59 people and injured 400 others at a concert in Las Vegas. Doomsday happens all too frequently these days.

It’s an ordinary mission to the Legion—so much so that most of them, save Phantom Girl, do not react in horror at the realization that someone has set off a nuke in a populated area. Only when the family of an absent Legionnaire is revealed to be among the casualties does the tragedy become personal.

Thoth is right that this is quietly Sun Boy’s spotlight. I never quite understood why he took the nuking of Cosmic Boy’s family so personally—Cos and Dirk were never shown to be close—but thoth draws connections all the way back to the space mission in Adv. 318. Even if Levitz was on the same page, he doesn’t spell this out, and that’s good. I have no problem believing that Dirk is just pissed off that any Legionnaire’s family would suffer so. The “thin blue line” runs deep among police officers, I’ve observed.

The Legionnaires are indeed shown to be professionals, and this is good after too many stories which are prolonged for the flimsiest of reasons. It felt like a breath of fresh air to watch them use detective work, consider the legal angles, and trick the culprits into revealing themselves. They do their job, but they do not hide their emotions. Best line in the book: “I’m not in a good mood, Saturn Girl” (Sun Boy, after frightening one of the lowlifes with a hellish image of a burning face). Favorite image: Ultra Boy pretending to be bored as he leans against one of the cargo handlers (using his invulnerability, not doubt, to prevent it from advancing) while Phantom Girl delivers a ghostly punch to the driver.

And, of course, I feel so bad for Cosmic Boy, who is coming home with Night Girl and expecting a reunion with his family. Yes, it’s a trope that he doesn’t know what’s happened, but it works.

In hindsight, this was probably one of the comics which made me want to write comics—or write fiction, period. It rocks on so many levels.

Future #938344 10/04/17 03:43 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Picking up on Hill Street Blues, I saw a film from 1951 called Detective Story a few weeks ago. It starred Kirk Douglas, Eleanor Parker, William Bendix and Lee Grant.

It’s clearly taken from a stage play, but that allows it focus on a single day/shift in a precinct. It’s as much concerned with the lives & interactions of the officers as the crimes. There are multiple subplots weaving in and out of the film. Some of them are for flavour, some carry through all three acts and a few tie together to combine crime with the personal life of one of the officers (Douglas).

I don’t recall a lot of details about Hill Street Blues, but I was strongly reminded of it when watching this. I wonder if it was an inspiration for the series? Oh, and therefore Levitz’s Legion (whew got a connection in at the end). The film gets a thumbs up from me, for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Future #938351 10/04/17 06:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by thoth lad

Having failed to show Mysa the emergency procedures of a Legion shuttle, Blok’s next ruse is to show her around a tesseract (nice future sci- fi for the Legion to use. I’m not sure why the UP doesn’t just throw their enemies into extra dimensional spaces, rather than cells though). He’s just about to share his feeling beside a lovely alien sculpture… and here comes Imra’s telepathic cold shower. And for a social event too. Blok was doing just fine socially for a minute, thank you very much. I’d forgotten just how keen Blok was on Mysa, right from the start. I remembered it as more of a friendship with Blok perhaps looking for something more.

It was surprising to me as well how far back Blok’s infatuation went – and that Mysa was right from the start not on the same wavelength.

Good ‘ol Imra. Welcoming Mysa to the party while firmly reminding her that it’s not really for her. smile

Hah! Wet Towel Lass!

Ayla says her goodbyes, particularly to Imra who then bumps into Brin in the corridor. A lot of this subplot seems to involve meeting people on the way to somewhere else.

Interesting observation. Hww compares this story to a Hill Street Blues episode, but this sub-plot may be mirrored on those comedies with a lot of doors opening and closing.

Is “ ready to move up to the Big Time?” Gim’s chat up line? Hilarious. He has picked up some confidence being with Vi.

Sheesh! I missed the “Big” double entendre until you pointed it out.

Shvaughn is the keener of the two, in the early stages of this relationship. She’s sought out Jan and she wanted to impress on him the rarity of the event. So, I thought she would be the one to apologise, as comic writers frequently don’t see past their lone wolf male heroes. But she stands up for herself, and it’s Jan who apologises for being tense. Even better for their relationship, he also tells her why. It’s a really well thought out conversation, where tone plays a part raising it from just being words on the page.

True, Shvaughn has quicly moved past the star-struck Legion liaison phase. Still, she seeks Jan out, not Nura – because he’s the one available, or her crush on him, or he was the first Legion leader with whom she interacted? The writers could have thrown in a Trom reference to further explain Jan’s tension and I’m glad they didn’t. The really did get the tone right.

As Drake and Dawnstar are the Legion’s first response to a crisis due to their speed, Tinya will be the one who has to rescue trapped people and investigate disaster zones, where brute strength would cause more damage. Seeing the aftermath of the bomb at that level overwhelms her. She’s a hero and has faced horrible threats, but she has a limit in unbearable situations. It’s a very human reaction, and one that makes her stand out from the others. It’s also consistent with her reaction all those years later, towards the end of v7, when her leadership and the UP were in complete tatters.
Since there’s a gap between her initial reaction and holding a coffee, it’s very likely that she went back in to help with the rescue, making her all the more heroic.

I had found Tinya’s reaction puzzling, since the others seemed to be more let’s just get the job done. But you’re right that she’s the one who had to get closest to the human gore on the ground - and why shouldn’t she be overcome by that sight?

Both Levitz and Giffen’s portrayals of the Legion in the aftermath of this situation go further than probably anything else in showing the psychological damage that has in-part prompted Ayla to quit.

You can just imagine Ayla saying, “See? I told you so!” when she learns of this disaster.

This is quietly very much Dirk’s issue. I’ve mentioned his two interactions with Tinya. But as he approaches the investigation of the Firebombers, he’s also working on more than one level. While the others are all heroes, we’re left in no doubt that Dirk is Earth’s hero. He takes any attack on it very personally. Not only that, having found Pol, he’s determined to solve the case before Rokk gets back from vacation. Again, that works on more than one level. He wants to spare his old friend some of the pain of the perpetrators escaping, allowing him time to be with any survivors. But he’s already concerned as to what Rokk will do to them, if he finds the guilty parties first. That’s an interesting reveal on still-waters-running-deep-Krinn. I’m wondering just how much of Dirk’s extrovert approach was a reaction to him cracking up in the Space Mutiny issue (Adventure 318 Look It Up Lad). It was Cosmic Boy who watched out for him at the start and at the end of that story. Perhaps Dirk is not only looking to return the aid, but is aware of the limits in some of his colleagues, having gone through it himself. At the story’s end it’s Dirk who takes the responsibility of telling Rokk the news.

That early connection to Rokk was one that hadn’t occurred to me either. I really appreciate the idea of Dirk as Earth’s hero, although it makes his 5YL fate all the more tragic. Finding these moments in which Dirk displays compassion and understanding towards his team mates (just as he’ll later encourage Dawnstar to dance) makes me wish that 5YL had taken a different approach with him and focused on this ability of his to reach out to people, but not as a servant of Earthgov/Dominators.

Nura breaking a nail while punching out a crook captures her character perfectly. She also tells off Thom for not bringing her in on the action when the Fireballers are apprehended. That shows the edge to her leadership needs that perhaps rub some of the others up the wrong way.

She should sweet talk Brainy into developing some inertron-based nail polish. Nura likes to be centre-stage and handles it well; as leader, not just for ego/show, but to lead the team most effectively. Of course, not everyone may appreciate her management style, just as Wildfire’s approach rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

“Every cloud..” as they used to say in the 20th century. In the 30th century this changes to “Every Head-Shaped World…” as the depressed Braalian economy gets a boost, remodelling Daxam. Since Braal went down the tubes in the five year gap, I can only assume that all the profits went into the coffers of the companies that keep Braal under their control.

Good point. Accomplishing that sort of job should have put them front and centre for any construction contracts but no global pay-off or even much trickle-down. Workers of Braal, unite!

Levitz has always said that he had trouble creating villains. This issue has some stock corks and informants, a firebomber and some big robots. So, not exactly big-league foes. But their use allows us to look at a part of super-heroing that rarely gets seen (what happens after a disaster isn’t prevented) and how it impacts on the cast. It also allows for the main plot to fit within a structure containing a number of other subplots without hogging panel time.

As you later write, they are a bit cartoonish. When we think villain in comics, we think big bad. I wonder, given the Levitz/Giffen ability to develop personalities, that a low-grade villain couldn’t have been made compelling.

Breaking the issue down –

Really enjoyed your appraoch to the issue breakdown, outlining all the transitions!

Visually, there are some treats this issue. The 30th century gets alien sculptures in tesseracts, illuso-matics, circular holo news on building spires, levitating discos and drinks dispensers. A mixture of old and new. The characters get the same treatment. We get a reflection in Drake’s visor that’s a tribute to earlier artists while getting a great costume upgrade for Jeckie and a retro look for Shady. There are some great shots of cityscapes from above and in the travel ways within Legion HQ. Giffen uses an elongated left hand panel a lot this issue (3,5,10.13, 15 & 18) with minor variations of it on a few other pages. Mainly it’s for towers and explosions. But a few go beyond this, not only moving the story along but offering the feel of character movement too. Jacques rising through the transport tube to go on a mission (the shuttle taking off on the right hand panel makes for a really well composed page) and Star Boy making a villain so heavy, he falls down the left-hand side of the page. That’s something we’d see in Ambush Bug. Lots of hard work and craft in here, although I did think some of the crooks were a little cartoonish.

Time to go back and re-reread this issue with all that in mind.

Originally Posted by HWW

Thoth did such an awesome job of analyzing this issue that I don’t have much left to say. It is probably one of the best-paced and plotted single issues of Levitz’s run. Again, this reads very much like an episode of Hill Street Blues with a lot of subplots being advanced and some resolved.

Was Hill Street Blues the first TV series to use this approach? I wonder if Levitz (and others) were directly influenced by this show, or if it was a more general trend in story-telling in the 80s.

The title “What Do You Do the Day after Doomsday” does not have to be taken literally. Clearly, life goes on following any momentous event—Pearl Harbor, JFK’s assassination, 9/11—and the continuance of life involves many tragedies and horrors which do not qualify as “doomsday” and may seem anticlimactic, except to those who experience the event. I’m writing this post two days after a deranged lunatic murdered 59 people and injured 400 others at a concert in Las Vegas. Doomsday happens all too frequently these days.

A very timely issue in the sense of our current events. We don’t face Darkseid-scale disasters, but the lunatics and small-time racketeers bring enough devastating damage to our world.

The Legionnaires are indeed shown to be professionals, and this is good after too many stories which are prolonged for the flimsiest of reasons. It felt like a breath of fresh air to watch them use detective work, consider the legal angles, and trick the culprits into revealing themselves. They do their job, but they do not hide their emotions. Best line in the book: “I’m not in a good mood, Saturn Girl” (Sun Boy, after frightening one of the lowlifes with a hellish image of a burning face). Favorite image: Ultra Boy pretending to be bored as he leans against one of the cargo handlers (using his invulnerability, not doubt, to prevent it from advancing) while Phantom Girl delivers a ghostly punch to the driver.

It is refreshing to see them with the situation under control and quickly wrapped up, while still acknowledging the horror of the event.

Originally Posted by thoth

Picking up on Hill Street Blues, I saw a film from 1951 called Detective Story a few weeks ago. It starred Kirk Douglas, Eleanor Parker, William Bendix and Lee Grant.

Noted, and it’s very well rated at imdb. Could that film have been the inspiration for Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct stories, which began in 1956? (Which are highly praised but as of yet unread by me.) And the connections go on and on....

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Future #938356 10/04/17 10:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I distinctly remember the title and contents of this issue having been advertised for the previous one. I wonder if the GL issue was a filler, post-Saga to get the art team back on track (though Giffen still did the framing sequence)?

I was super-excited for this away team mission, as it had all of my favourites in the same group (Wildfire, Dawnstar, Blok & Jacques). Still hadn't warmed to Mysa yet, but the next few issues would change that.

thoth lad #938364 10/04/17 01:44 PM

It’s clearly taken from a stage play, but that allows it focus on a single day/shift in a precinct. It’s as much concerned with the lives & interactions of the officers as the crimes. There are multiple subplots weaving in and out of the film. Some of them are for flavour, some carry through all three acts and a few tie together to combine crime with the personal life of one of the officers (Douglas).

I don’t recall a lot of details about Hill Street Blues, but I was strongly reminded of it when watching this. I wonder if it was an inspiration for the series? Oh, and therefore Levitz’s Legion (whew got a connection in at the end). The film gets a thumbs up from me, for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

I vaguely remember the title of the movie; I'll have to check it out.

HSB may have been inspired by it, but I recall reading that it was directly inspired by a movie called "The Choirboys," which featured a similar approach to police work and an ensemble cast. One of the cast members, Charles Haid, went on to star as Renko in HSB.

To FC's question, HSB was the first TV series I'm aware of to use the approach of multiple story lines, an ensemble cast, etc. There may have been others, but the success of HSB and St. Elsewhere (which premiered in October 1982) paved the way for the story telling innovations which followed. HSB won eight Emmy Awards during its seven-year run, showing, I think, that complex story lines and taking chances with the main characters could prove successful with viewers.

Fat Cramer #938381 10/04/17 06:58 PM
The writers could have thrown in a Trom reference to further explain Jan’s tension and I’m glad they didn't.

Me, too. Otherwise, Sore Loser Lad would become Self-Pity Lad.

It's interesting to read your and thoth's comments on Element Lad and Shvaughn. I didn't pick up anything special in their interaction, though they do seem to have a lot of scenes together.

I did appreciate Jan's "I know it shouldn't matter ...." line. Professional detachment goes only so far when one' s "family" is attacked. It was good to see this tension acknowledged.

Originally Posted by FC
Originally Posted by thoth

She should sweet talk Brainy into developing some inertron-based nail polish. Nura likes to be centre-stage and handles it well; as leader, not just for ego/show, but to lead the team most effectively. Of course, not everyone may appreciate her management style, just as Wildfire’s approach rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

So far, I think Nura's doing an outstanding job as leader. She's decisive and in control without coming across as bossy or arrogant (a la Wildfire). I loved the broken nail line. As with Jo's bored posture, it was an indication that these two-bit crooks are so far beneath the Legionnaires' notice that the latter have more important things to worry about--like a broken nail.

Fat Cramer #938468 10/06/17 04:47 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by HWW
It is probably one of the best-paced and plotted single issues of Levitz’s run.

I know that I didn’t go into it thinking I’d type as much. The amount of plot movement in there belies that main plot concerning lower powered villains.

Originally Posted by HWW
Again, this reads very much like an episode of Hill Street Blues with a lot of subplots being advanced and some resolved .

One thing I read about HSB this week was that the conversations in the background were also scripted. Also, that you’d be able to see seeds of relationships and plots in the background too. I doubt I watched enough of them sequentially to have appreciated that. But it reminds me of the Shvaughn / Jan plot. Just having them together and having officer Erin pleased to see Jan is more than enough for readers to start reading all sorts of things into the situation.

Originally Posted by HWW
The Legionnaires are indeed shown to be professionals, and this is good after too many stories which are prolonged for the flimsiest of reasons. It felt like a breath of fresh air to watch them use detective work, consider the legal angles, and trick the culprits into revealing themselves.

The professionalism was one of the striking things right from the start of Levitz 2.0’s run. It paid off very well for an issue where, as you point out, we get to see them perform more than just heroics in solving the case.

Originally Posted by HWW
Favorite image: Ultra Boy pretending to be bored as he leans against one of the cargo handlers (using his invulnerability, not doubt, to prevent it from advancing) while Phantom Girl delivers a ghostly punch to the driver .

It’s great that the rereads bring out different feelings on all sorts of things. In isolation the Ultra Boy action would have been great. But I read it in the context of tracking down fireballers who had taken out Rokk’s family. So, it came off as overly flippant for me. Yet, it would also deter further actions by the criminals when they see that they’re so outmatched that they’re actually boring the heroes. And I enjoyed Nura’s broken nail exclamation. So, I’m not the most consistent there smile Tinya’s punch shows just how effective and active she can be in combat. Something else else we should have got more of.

I had found Tinya’s reaction puzzling, since the others seemed to be more let’s just get the job done. But you’re right that she’s the one who had to get closest to the human gore on the ground - and why shouldn’t she be overcome by that sight?

I seem to recall a few posts elsewhere discussing Tinya’s comment “want to watch” comment to Dirk. So, it’s a scene that has different interpretations.

You can just imagine Ayla saying, &#147;See? I told you so!&#148; when she learns of this disaster.

Dirk was commentating at the start of v4 about how the Legion had outlived it’s usefulness. You could have taken an Ayla having left the Legion at this point and not returning and then put her in a similar documentary. “I told them that the Legion destroys lives. If only they had listened, things wouldn’t have turned out as they did.” – Dark Foreshadowing!

We don&#146;t face Darkseid-scale disasters…

I still pronounce it as Dark Seed when I’m reading. I’ve been doing it all through these issues. A second later, my inner Eltro pops up with a correction, but I’ve already moved on to more mispronunciation. smile

Originally Posted by Dave
I distinctly remember the title and contents of this issue having been advertised for the previous one. I wonder if the GL issue was a filler, post-Saga to get the art team back on track (though Giffen still did the framing sequence)?

It was very much a fill in issue, to give some breathing space, but I think it was also planned ahead in reasonable time fill in issue. Levitz had hinted at the story a few issues back. There’s the chance that the plotting of the GDS resulted in more pages being needed, which brought it forward I guess.

Originally Posted by Dave
I was super-excited for this away team mission, as it had all of my favourites in the same group (Wildfire, Dawnstar, Blok & Jacques). Still hadn't warmed to Mysa yet, but the next few issues would change that.

It’s a grouping that, looking back, I’d have been a bit underwhelmed by. They just didn’t have a huge impact on me. But the rereads offer a chance to reassess things. It’s a solid way of getting a look at the newer members, in the way we’ve seen since Jeckie and Val joined and we’d see when Tellus and Quis joined later. Dawny and Drake are the recruits before these guys, so it’s very much a showcase for the newer Legion. I’m looking forward to seeing how they work together.

thoth lad #938471 10/06/17 08:45 PM

It’s great that the rereads bring out different feelings on all sorts of things. In isolation the Ultra Boy action would have been great. But I read it in the context of tracking down fireballers who had taken out Rokk’s family. So, it came off as overly flippant for me. Yet, it would also deter further actions by the criminals when they see that they’re so outmatched that they’re actually boring the heroes.

This is a good point. The Legionnaires' reactions in this issue are not necessarily what we might expect--no vowing revenge and brooding for the rest of the issue (well, maybe Dirk). Their responses are varied and revealing. People often react in unexpected ways when facing tragedy or tense situations. For a long time, I used to use humor--and I still do on occasion; however, I've toned it down because misplaced humor can come across as flip or sarcastic, which can make a situation worse instead of better.

Viewed in this context, the behavior of some of the others may shed light on their own reactions to the fireballing. Nura may have snapped at Thom not just because he didn't call her in on the situation, but because she's struggling to maintain control over herself and the group, now that she is leader. Tinya's "wanna watch" jab at Dirk may have been motivated by similar feelings. When people are faced with the incomprehensible and don't know how to react, they often channel their feelings into attacking something they can understand (in this case, a sexist sleaze).

Tinya’s punch shows just how effective and active she can be in combat. Something else else we should have got more of.

Indeed. It was a brilliant use of her power.

Future #938602 10/10/17 03:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
LSH #297 Mettle: Spotlight on Cosmic Boy by Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen, art by Giffen & Mahlstedt, colors by Gafford, letters by Costanza

[Linked Image]

Rokk arrives on Earth, having learned of the disaster which struck his family. He pulls back the ship with the guilty parties headed for Takron-Galtos and proceeds to subject them to some serious pain by manipulating the iron in their blood. Lydda has a cooler head and stops him with a fist to the face. Garth, Dirk and Brin arrive on the scene; Garth is the most dispassionate of the three.

Elsewhere in the space port, Brainy sees off a recovered Tenzil, who returns, accompanied by Dr. Gym’ll, to Bismoll and politics.

Lydda sits at Rokk’s bedside. When he awakes, she comforts him and listens to his life story, as he explains how his family came to live on Earth, returned to Braal and suffered through economic depression which impelled Rokk to head to Earth for work.

Brin decides to catch an airbus to pick up some girls in the Old Boston Sector. He’s late, so jumps onto the departing bus and crashes through the roof.

Rokk and Lydda check on his family in the medi-complex. Dr. Chang asks that Rokk not disturb his family, but he uses his power to bypass the locked doors. Lydda recounts to Dr. Chang the story of how the Legion was founded. They learn that Rokk’s mother, Ewa, has just died. Rokk blames himself for bringing them to Earth after he joined the Legion.

He suddenly sends Lydda crashing through a wall, knocking her unconscious and tells Dr. Chang that he did that so Lydda wouldn’t stop him. Rokk flies off on magnetic currents, vowing revenge despite the Legion Code.

At the Spaceport, Cham arrives from Takron Galtos and is greeted by Jo, Tinya and Dirk. He explains that he’s lost his powers so he can’t return to the Legion, but will be visiting his father. Suddenly, they hear some terrible scream and discover Rokk, once again pulling the bombers out from their shuttle and torturing them. Dirk prevents the others from interfering, saying that Rokk has to decide for himself what he’s going to do, or he’ll never know what would have happened. The criminals plead for mercy; Rokk suddenly hears his mother’s voice cry out “No!” and he stops, realizing that he’s no better than the criminals if he kills them.

The Legionnaires watching him are relieved and marvel at the power that he displayed. Rokk appears to hear them, but flies off alone.

Comments: One of the creepiest endings I’ve seen in a Legion comic. Rokk truly looks conniving. What’s in his head? Is this when he decides to become the Time Trapper?

Magnetic fields abound. It’s very striking visually, and gives the impression that Rokk is just emanating power non-stop in his anger and quest for vengeance. The psychedelic visuals suggest a supernormal experience. Things certainly aren’t like they usually are for Rokk Krinn. The art would be even more striking if rendered with today's production techniques.

There isn’t a lot of internal dialogue. His reaction doesn’t require explanation; it’s something we can all understand, whether or not we’ve experienced loss due to violence. The difference is that Rokk has powers to act out vengeance to a greater and faster degree than ordinary sentients. Because of these powers, and the role he’s assumed as a Legionnaire, he’s held to a higher standard; the tension in the story derives from wondering which path he’ll take, the ultimate revenge or the society’s system of justice (and the Legion Code).

It’s a spotlight issue, so we get his life story, told in rather clumsy circumstances, but supplying the details. I call it clumsy since Lydda should know his story by now and Dr. Chang doesn’t need the history lesson when she’s got a loose cannon in a medical facility. Nevertheless, there were interesting details, such as the economic decline of Braal and Ewa Krinn’s reaction to Lydda’s beehive.

Dirk once again plays a pivotal role, demonstrating his understanding of human nature by letting Rokk play out his personal drama. Garth had a brief appearance, but was the voice of calm and reason for all of his two panels. These are two of Rokk’s oldest Legion friends, yet they don’t figure prominently in his story – Rokk is off on his own in this one, apart from faithful dog Lydda.

I feel his devastation at the loss of his mother; he just looks so beaten down. We didn’t know Ewa Krinn, she was a non-entity as a character; all impact of her death is felt through her son.

Brief interludes kept other storylines active: a comedic Brin looks to get back on the dating market, a serious Reep is welcomed home by old friends but brings news of his loss of power and recovered Tenzil is seen off home by Brainy, accompanied by one-line wonder Dr. Gym’ll.

I’m seeing Darkseid everywhere now: on pages 7 & 9, silhouette images of Rokk remind me of the Servants, or Darkseid himself. It strikes me as a reflection of the darkness in his soul.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Future #938605 10/10/17 06:31 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Sure am glad Cos didn't kill those guys and get in any hot water with the law. Thankfully there's no laws on the books in the future for attempted murder, assault, destruction of property, tresspassing, obstruction of justice or any of that stuff, or Cos might be facing some heavy consequences. wink

Future #938662 10/10/17 04:15 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
LoSh 297

A huge closeup of Cosmic Boy fills the entire cover, apart from the logo. The blurb confirms that it’s a spotlight on him, in case readers weren’t clear. Rokk’s face drips with sweat, but the eyes give make it more deranged than determined. Readers of the last issue will know that Rokk looks to be out for revenge.

Giffen shows arcing magnetic fields, looping from Rokk’s hands; a projection of his inner rage, presumably onto the perpetrators of last issue’s crime.

None of this actually occurs. It turns out that this happens to be the sacred day for Braalians, when they can’t use their powers. It’s a trial of will for Rokk, but Ayla returns to the team to slap him around a bit, and he sees sense. smile (Superboy 215 – Look It Up Lad)

Following their trial, the shuttle containing the firebombers departs for Takron Galtos. It doesn’t get far, as it’s magnetically drawn back to Earth by Cosmic Boy.

Despite Rokk being seemingly cool headed, Sun Boy was concerned last issue at what he might do to the criminals. Chief Zendak had similar ideas, and he’s posted a Braalian officer to the spaceport. Yes, it’s a highly personal matter, but you wonder if they know more of what he’s capable of than the reader. There’s not many repercussions form this issue, despite the damage caused. If this was a realer world, then you’d be accusing the SP and Earthgov of a huge coverup. In v4 TMK used Lar rampages to establish the Eltro/Lar connection. I’ve no doubt they would have used this story, had they chosen Cosmic Boy to be the one to have similar issues.

A number of the Legionnaires come from planets where everyone has similar powers. The Legion of Super Rejects issue, where a number of alternates tried to get a place on the tea, showed that there’s more to being a member than simply powers. This issue goes in a different direction, with Rokk showing the Braalian officer that not everyone has the same power levels. If you add in the legion training, the missions and the personal nature of the scene, it’s now wonder the guards call for reinforcements.

Giffen continues with the visuals form the cover and combines them with dramatic posture to make Rokk a very serious threat. As Rokk prepares to execute the criminals, I’m reminded of Jan when he pulled the trigger on Roxxas. Fortunately, Lydda retuned with Rokk, as seen at the end of last issue. She punches him unconscious (one punch!).

I misread what was going on at the end of last issue. When Dirk said “Now I have to wait for Cosmic Boy’s ship to get back from Daxam to give him the news” I thought he was going to wait at the spaceport, as Rokk was already shown to be on his way. Actually, the criminals were taken off for trial and Rokk’s shuttle didn’t get in until that had been completed and they were on their way to prison.

Dirk’s reaction still seems off kilter. He feared what Cos was capable of last issue, yet he’s surprised to be called to the Spaceport, makes a comment about Subs attacking Legionnaires and has to ask what’s going on. Odd. Despite what he said last time, Dirk now thinks Cos is very level headed and that he should have waited for the shuttle.

As the Legion take Rokk back to HQ, the Matter Eater subplot resolves quietly. Tenzil’s departure is one of the longer running membership changes Levitz brought about from his first issue. There’s no party for Tenzil, just a goodbye from Brainy and a ship back to Bismoll. The subdued nature if it is also a sign that this development is more to do with the ongoing Computo plot, rather than a finale for Tenzil.

Two further things of note. The levitating wheelchair would be seen again in both the Baxter series and all the way through to v7, when Star Boy was using one.

Also, this issue marks a Legion/ Legion World crossover as our very own Election Tyrant stepped in to play the part of Rokk’s brother, known as “Poll” throughout. smile In this era, I always thought that Matter Eater Lad was a character they were glad to see the back of.

A recovering Rokk, with Lydda accompanying him, visits his family after telling her about his past in a 3 page flashback. It’s been tough on Braal for generations and, despite the Daxam work, things don’t get a lot better. The gloom is offset by a lighter interlude for Timberwolf. He had been in the opening scene, so it’s nice to see him linked through the issue. A night on the town doesn’t get off to the best of starts.

We’ve already been shown that Rokk’s magnetic powers are stronger than other Braalians as he brought down cruisers and ripped them apart. He’s subtler too. Rokk goes into a restricted area to see his family, despite the resistance of Doctor Chang (a nice addition to the cast, that I don’t recall seeing a lot more of). Rokk manipulates the electronic lock. Although Levitz writes this as an extension of his powers, it actually opens them up to the sort of thing Danielle Foccart would be capable of later on. Rokk doesn’t trash the circuitry. He senses the working of it on the minutest level across distance. It’s quite a power boost, and wasn’t seen too much in later issues.

Lydda is able to follow him by trashing it with her super strength. Along the way, we have a 3-page reprise of the Legion’s origins. Clearly if Dr Chang needs to be told about this, then she could pop up for all sorts of expository scenes. smile

One day there will be a scene where the trained medical professional says “I told you not to enter, and now the infection you’ve brought in has killed everyone on the ward! Idiot!” Rokk doesn’t go far however. He’s found out from its computer (using his powers or just checking?) that his mother has died. He blames himself, as he used some of his Legion salary to bring them to Earth in the first place. He regrets the time he didn’t spend with them, firstly due to the Legion and then because of his relationship with Lydda.

I’m not too bothered about another trip down memory lane and another interpretation of the Legion’s origins. But I completely appreciate that, at the time, such flashbacks were necessary as a reminder of the Legion’s foundations. As a founder, a spotlight on Cosmic Boy is just the place to do it too. Levitz and Giffen both add more to your standard flashback. Levitz links the text with the start of each memory. He then also links the memories to Rokk’s visit to the hospital and then to his final actions against the criminals.

Perhaps looking for an outlet to avoid blaming himself further, Rokk goes after the criminals again. There’s just a moment when I thought he was shifting the blame slightly towards Lydda, in regard to the time they spent together instead of with his parents, but thankfully he moves on. He still knocks Lydda out first, in a well bookended switch from their first combat earlier in the issue.

Lydda is a stand out in this story. Visually, Giffen has given her a great look, and it’s something that a later full body Shadow Lass costume would remind me of. She’s not shy about using her power, and her direct approach counterpoints the far subtler Rokk’s (in this story) use. There is still an element of her following Cosmic Boy around though. It’s true to her origin, but it does seem to have developed into her being Rokk’s carer. Rokk is the unsteady one here, for obvious reasons, and Lydda makes sure he’s alright.

That’s something we’d see in the run up to, and during Legends. I did notice that the word Legend was in bold for Rokk in this story and that RJ Brande was also referred to as a Legend. Naltorian writing at work? In that arc, Rokk would be shaken by the Legion’s history not matching up with what they knew. Lydda would also be the one to support Rokk through his dark war memories in v4. Looking at this story, you can see why she finally got membership into the team.

We then see more very visual power ups from the Legion founder. We find out he can travel faster when tapping into planetary magnetic fields than with a flight ring, and that he can control the metal within people’s bodies (actually the second time he’s done that one this issue)

The Legion look to intercept him, picking up a newly returned Cham but now powerless, but are stopped by Sun Boy, with Giffen making his powers go all the way back to super radiance in a nice Adventure nod. Dirk reasons that Rokk has to stop himself, or they would always have some doubts.

That’s quite a risk. Cosmic Boy had to be knocked out last time, and Jan Arrah would have killed if Chemical King hadn’t intervened on a previous occasion. The crooks are put through some agonising punishment, before Rokk realises that killing them would make him just as bad. As the Legionnaires watch on, he vows to never to sink to their level.

Tinya looks to comfort him, but we get a huge payoff from Cham’s subplot (who did get some support!), when he tells the others that there are things that someone has to work out on their own (and not take them on a mission to Khundia smile) To Levitz’s credit, it’s good to see a subplot with an impact on more than one level.

It’s just unfortunate that Lydda, who was with Cos all the way, wasn’t there at the end with him. Levitz seemed to prefer the Lone Wolf Hero ending to this one.

Tinya: “Y’know guys, I never saw Cos like that—so violent—and so powerful. I never would have thought he had it in him.”

Dirk: “I’ll make you a bet P.G. – neither did he.”

Cosmic Boy walks away, having gone to the edge of an abyss, but having pulled back at the last moment with more resolve and purpose than ever. It’s a powerful character moment.

Except that’s might not be quite what happened smile

On page 3, Rokk tells the prisoners to say their prayers. On page 20, Rokk travels to intercept the criminals one again thinking that “The Legion Code be hanged”
On page 21, he tells the crooks that his powers are killing them. Each scream in turn. And then there’s another face, shouting “No!”

Now, I think it’s supposed to be the image of Rokk’s mother, shouting seemingly from beyond the grave. But my first thought was: what if it’s Imra? I think Saturn Girl mentally shuts one of her teammates down before he breaks the Legion Code. It’s certainly that final face that brings him to his senses. It’s no warm memory of what his mother meant to him. It’s a sudden intrusion into his mind. The next panel has Cos clutching his stunned head, a tell tale of sudden mental manipulation. Dirk got it wrong. Rokk didn’t prevent himself killing. Like Jan Arrah, it took someone else working subtly to prevent further killing.

At the end when Rokk walks off, we see his determined face. We then get a tell tale panel where magnetic powers are at play in his eyes. It’s the same teaser that we’ve seen very recently with Danielle Foccart still being possessed by Computo. We’d see it again for her later too. It’s a sign that there’s more of this power to come, and that it might not be on the side of “good”.

Rokk’s final panel is an evil looking smile. There’s a scream in the air, and presumably he’s going to investigate it. But he’s switched here from being part of the Superman mythos to being part of Batman’s. This Rokk Krinn is going to inflict some pain on the culprits before they face the judicial system. Harry Callahan meets the Legion, and also foreshadowing Rokk’s demeanour just prior to Zero Hour.

As we get closer to Legends, we’d see more of Rokk’s history obsession. I like to think that this issue was a key step to Rokk realising that he had more power, and less restraint, than he imagined. That’s a big step along the way to a future where he’s the Time Trapper, fulfilling the horrible future hinted at on a canvas provided to him by Mysa (who’s now just joined!) back in Adventure #351 (Thanks, Look It Up Lad!)

The pacing in this issue was quite different to last. It really was a departure from a standard two-part story and into one where the second part was more of a sequel. We get six flashback pages, that Giffen intertwines nicely with current events even more than in #295. With only a couple of subplots (Tenzil/Danielle, Brin and Cham) developing beyond the main story, and with a natural flow to the flashbacks, it’s a less packed issue. That gives Giffen the chance to stretch out a little too. There are fewer panels per page and, as advertised by the cover, a lot of big panels concerning Rokk, all the better to showcase both his loneliness and his rage. The page on the fate of his family was very well laid out too. There’s still a lovely full left hand vertical conveying movement, as Cham arrives at the spaceport. I mentioned Giffen’s rendering of Cos’s power as being a highlight. He even manages to use the concentric circles as an effect to showcase Rokk’s grim face on page four.

Future #938673 10/10/17 07:06 PM
297:
“Mettle” makes a great title for this story, although it is strangely absent from the issue itself. It appears nowhere on the cover or the splash page. Has it been added to any reprints of this story? (I did see it was given in last issue's blurb.)

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this issue. I love the idea of it—the focus on a single Legionnaire as he faces the darkest tragedy of his life. I also appreciate Cosmic Boy being given the spotlight since he has largely been underdeveloped over the last several years of stories. This tale expands his back story and shows us more of his relationship with Lydda. She does follow him around, but she’s the strong one here—in more ways than one.

The story is also well paced, though I could have done without the two lengthy flashbacks. Yes, they were needed to bring new readers up to speed. But the first one didn’t really tell me anything new. Sure, we learn Cos was born on earth instead of Braal, but so what? This changes nothing about his character or our understanding of him. I would have appreciated some more insight into just how hard life was on Braal. Cos only summarizes this hardship, but I don’t get a sense of how it shaped him or his family. (He does mention that he blew the magnoball Olympic championship, though; this is at odds, in hindsight, with the super-athlete Rokk Krinn became in the Reboot.)

The second flashback consists of an immaculately drawn but standard recap of the Brande Incident. I skipped through most of it.

Both flashbacks could have told us a lot more about Rokk and his relationship to the Legion—what it means to him, etc.—but I felt they were mostly infodumps. They took up space and delayed Rokk’s inevitable return to the spacedock for revenge.

Another highlight: the death of his mother was a sad moment and brilliantly depicted through the computer images.

Then we get to the showdown, and Cos’s second attempt at revenge. This is where the story leaves me with two WTF moments. The first is that Sun Boy holds his teammates back so Rokk can make his own decision. As thoth pointed out, Chemical King had done the same thing with Element Lad 86 issues earlier. But two things are of note here: 1) Chem had a backup plan, and 2) Jan pulled the trigger.

There is no indication of what Dirk would have done if Rokk had made the wrong choice. Dirk makes an awful big gamble here—one based on the trite notion that heroes don’t kill. Rokk’s “conversion” seems to confirm this assumption: Good guys are good guys, and they don’t murder, not even when provoked. Dirk believes this, and Rokk seems to believe it. He will not murder in his mother’s name.

However, this leads into the second WTF moment. Just what is Rokk doing in those last three panels? Clearly, he is using his power to make someone scream. Is he inflicting some last-minute torture on the fireballers, or did he find a way to kill them without their deaths being traced back to him?

Although the second interpretation fits in with his eventual transformation into the Time Trapper (a revelation which is among the biggest WTF moments of all time, Legion-wise, for me), there just isn’t enough evidence in the story for us to draw a definite conclusion. I once read that, when one interprets a story, one must work with what is there and not with what one wishes to be there. (The movie “Being There” ends with the character of Chance walking on water; some have tried to rationalize this ending by suggesting there was a low-lying bridge, but as others have pointed out, if we don’t see a bridge, it ain’t there. We have to work with what we have.) As much as I like thoth’s idea that Saturn Girl intervened by impersonating Ewa, there is nothing in the story which suggests this. I have no problem believing that it was Rokk’s memory of his mother which intervened. But what do we make of his final actions? It’s hard to say since we’re unclear on what those actions are.

LSH 297 reads as if Levitz and Giffen wanted to re-tell “The Ultimate Revenge” from 211 with a different character in focus, and a different outcome. This would make sense if they were intent on putting their own stamp on the Legion (and Giffen was well-known for pushing story-telling boundaries). But perhaps because of the Comics Code and super-hero conventions of the time, they couldn’t be as explicit as they’d like to be. As a result, the ending comes across as too vague for my taste.

At least Cos recovered enough to participate in the post-letters page joke of introducing Giffen to the audience.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,842
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Valor the M'Onell
Valor the M'Onell
Australia