Roll Call
0 members (), 14 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Legionnaire Mastermind
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:21 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by razsolo - 03/28/24 06:18 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Khunds -- no more, no less
#938530 10/08/17 10:59 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
At EDE's suggestion in the Legion Reference thread, I am starting this new thread because I have lately developed a great fascination for the Khunds, particularly the Preboot version. I'll be back later to elaborate. In the meantime, please post any data about them you think might be informative.

For the record, of the Khund stories I've read, my favorite is the Doomsday Device 3-parter in L.E.G.I.O.N. issues #24-26.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Re: Khunds -- no more, no less
Ann Hebistand #938541 10/08/17 12:39 PM
E
Substitute
Substitute
E
The Khunds were a big part of the Invasion limited series and all it's tie ins. Amon Hakk from the various L.E.G.I.O.N./R.E.B.E.L.S. series

Ectreba from the Wonder Woman space arc 1992-1993
[Linked Image]

The female Khundian Green Lantern Kho Kharhi
[Linked Image]

The super powed Red Shift from Superboy and the Ravers
[Linked Image]

Ann Hebistand #938563 10/08/17 08:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Khunds.
I have enjoyed them as enemies of the UP (though not as much as Dominators).

In Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, Khunds have provided a lot of enjoyment (esp in WW). Veilmist was always underdeveloped

In the Invasion, Khunds played the big heavy in terms of violence

We need to see more Khunds

Ann Hebistand #938575 10/09/17 09:09 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Zaryan the Conquerer, later retconned as a Khund.

Our buddy, Zaryan, with his robot army.

Monstress meets the Khundish Ambassador's wife

First appearance of the Khunds, Adventure #346, as far as I can figure.
Also introduction of "the four", Princess Projectra, Karate Kid, Ferro Lad, and Nemesis Kid.

From Adventure #346, Garlic, I mean, Garlak, Warlord of Khund.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Ann Hebistand #938581 10/09/17 11:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Do Khunds predate Klingons? Does the group think that's a similarity that should be emphasized or de-emphasized?

Personally, I've always been a little bit ambivalent about Khunds. Like Klingons, I just don't find them that interesting. They fill a good role as a persistent antagonist based on their war-like, conquering culture but it feels like there's not much more to them than that.

I never read the stories with Veilmist or the other 5YL Khunds in them though, and I imagine they could have offered an interesting spin.

Weirdly enough, one Khund I grew to sort of like was Amilia Krugg from the Reboot. Not sure why. Didn't she have a fur cloak or something? Maybe it was the visual of that? Haha

Ann Hebistand #938582 10/09/17 11:59 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
They are realty two-dimensional, and I've always found them a little boring for that reason. (Plus the magenta skin just doesn't really scream intimidating to me...)

Still, the cyborg fetishism and Challenge Courts stuff is an interesting tweak that drags them away from the obvious Klingon tropes.

OTOH, Invasion! totally pissed me off by having Khunds show up and attack Earth in the 20th century, and their technology be exactly the same as it was in the 30th century. Are they literally idiots? Earth's technology has increased leaps and bounds between Superman's time and the Legion's time, how come the Khunds haven't changed at all? How did these morons ever figure out fire, or the wheel, or firearms? How can they be so dumb, and have spaceships and cyborgs? Ugh.

Bad, bad crossover idea, IMO... (Same for the other races involved, like the Dominators. At least the Durlans have an excuse for why their technology hasn't advanced in a thousand years!)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #938583 10/09/17 12:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Set
They are realty two-dimensional, and I've always found them a little boring for that reason. (Plus the magenta skin just doesn't really scream intimidating to me...)

That actually reminds me of one of the few areas where I think the Khunds exceed - their racial variety. I know they come in yellow and pink versions, and I feel like I might have seen green, blue, grey and white ones too? That variety is a nice contrast to the many other alien races which tend to be depicted as very homogenous.

Blacula #938585 10/09/17 12:45 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Blacula
Originally Posted by Set

That actually reminds me of one of the few areas where I think the Khunds exceed - their racial variety. I know they come in yellow and pink versions, and I feel like I might have seen green, blue, grey and white ones too? That variety is a nice contrast to the many other alien races which tend to be depicted as very homogenous.

Something else else in which sci-fi tends to fall down a lot, is the notion that every alien from a specific planet comes from a single ethnic group / mono-culture and has the same language, religion, system of governance, etc. (or that the entire planet is one single environment type, like all frozen wasteland, or all desert, or all rainforest / swamp), so yeah, it's definitely cool when something plays against that sort of stereotyping.

I think Star Trek missed a chance to play against this when they defined the two (or more) different appearances of Klingons between the original series and the movies/Next Generation/etc. as a racial change, and not just 'Klingons from continent X have bumpy heads, and Klingons from continent Y do not, and they tend not to serve on the same ships because they fight even more than usual and get nothing useful accomplished...'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Blacula #938597 10/09/17 08:18 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Originally Posted by Blacula
Do Khunds predate Klingons?

Well, Earthwar in Adventure #346 is dated June 1966. Star Trek premiered in September 1966, (although it was certainly in production at that time) and the first Klingons appeared in Errand of Mercy in March 1967.

Gene Roddenberry always insisted that the Klingons were based on stereotypes predominating about the Soviet Union at the time: ruthless, vicious, heartless, godless, uncultured, vulgar, primitive, ultra-violent conquerers, who would not hesitate to detonate nuclear devices all over the U.S. if they thought they could get away with it.

So maybe the same sorts of ideas inspired Levitz.

(The Romulans mirrored attitudes about Red China: intelligent, mostly honorable, but sometimes treacherous.)

As far as Khunds being one-dimensional characters, remember they were invented by a 14-year-old.

As time went on, they were somewhat fleshed out.
Khundish Legionnaires

"Khundia itself is perpetually eclipsed by its own moon, making it a dark and dreary world. Choking on its own overly dense population, the world has become totally overrun by a mentality of total militarism and violence. Even a person jostled in the streets will settle the ensuing argument in the so called court of combat, a form of trial by combat, which is often fatal." (ComicVine)

Most Khunds I have seen are either Yellow, Pale Yellow, Pink (Magenta), or Peach. I have heard of 'Red' ones, but never seen one.

The Khunds in Justice League Unlimited are gray.

On the Supergirl TV show, their name is pronounced K'Hund.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,277
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires