Roll Call
0 members (), 23 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Alexander - 03/28/24 03:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/28/24 01:12 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 12:20 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 11:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:44 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Re: DC Comics Rebirth
Sarcasm Kid #938719 10/12/17 07:36 AM
Active
Active
The Superman books are starting to lose me. Between fill-ins on both titles, event tie-ins, and some awful message comics in Superman, there have been quite a few books that I have skipped or wished I had. Hopefully once we push through the Mr. Oz stuff, there will be a refocusing. At least the Imperious Lex storyline sounds promising. Other than that, my list is the same as the last one I posted above.

Looking at the latest sales numbers, I guess I better start the pre-grieving process for Cyborg and New Super-Man. Everything else I read seem to be at least in the "on the bubble" zone.

I decided at the last minute not to carry on with the James Robinson WW. He's a writer I've never liked as much as I wish I did, and I was honestly just not feeling that enthused, and didn't want to waste time on a book I was likely to subconsciously sabotage anyway. But I will keep my ears up, and if I hear good enough things about it from quarters I respect, I will give it another go.

Other than that, I continue to like/love all my other Rebirth titles. I've been thinking about giving Detective another go. It was probably the toughest call I made in my drops. But again, I'll probably wait for the Mr. Oz event cycle to settle first. Diving back in with an issue sure to push my event-fatigue and continuity wallowing buttons would be pointless.

Sarcasm Kid #939265 10/21/17 11:03 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I think I can officially say Rebirth has lost me. I wasn't able to keep track of the titles I was buying when I began working at Yankee Stadium. I was too busy with that and the comic store, and dealing with Baltimore Comic Con, NYCC, and the writing for Super-Bloggers and Point Horror and Endangered Bodies.

But ever since my schedule slowed down again, I simply haven't had the interest to go back to the books I was following from Rebirth. Batgirl, Titans, Superwoman, even Batwoman by Marguerite Bennett. The only one I've held onto is still New Super-Man. Wonder Woman I, of course, dropped when Robinson began writing and have become increasingly determined NOT to support it because I want nothing to do with that garbage plot thread about her having a twin brother., and the fact that's he bringing Vanessa Kapatelis back just for a rehash of her Silver Swan arc makes me hate the man even more. Titans slowly lost me with and now with the reveal of the evil Donna Troy I don't want to go near it. I stuck with Rebirth because I was hoping to see more of the real DCU, but nothing to my true satisfaction. It's still all just being forced into the mold the New 52 created and I'm sick of it.

I don't care what Johns does with Watchmen or Dr. Manhattan, kill them all and be done with it. I've never cared about Doctor Oz. None of this Dark Matter stuff interests me and I would've LOVED to read Terrifics if Tom Strong is involved, but if there's a Legion link I don't want to go near this. I'm sick of waiting to see when they're going to bring back more of the pre-Flashpoint DCU, but when they do it just gets ruined. I want Linda Danvers and Lian Harper and the real Duela Dent. I want Cass Cain and Stephanie Brown to be included whenever they do stories about Bruce's kids and not just the Robins.

I wish DC had never brought Barry Allen back and I hate Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns for doing it.

Sarcasm Kid #939268 10/22/17 02:08 AM
Active
Active
I have mixed feelings about Christopher Priest taking over Justice League. On the one hand, I love Priest and will give just about anything he writes a shot, even if I'm dubious. But he described it as "heroes in the real world," a tag I thought we left in the 90's were it belongs. I'm not sure I'm down for another round of "the public distrust these godlike beings floating above humanity." I'm also a little dubious about "The Fan," a character who knows every detail about the League and uses their own weaknesses against them "for their own good." Sounds suspiciously Superboy-Prime to me. There are plenty of aspects of fandom that need to be addressed, but too often when creators do it, it comes off as them looking down on fans that are beneath them. I can get on board with "we need to reform our community," if it's done well. "You losers need to get your shit together" is a much harder sell.

On the mutant third hand, his first arc begins with Batman making a mistake, possibly the most shocking and innovative new Batman concept in the last 20 years.

And like I said, I like Priest enough to give him the benefit of the doubt and try it out even if I'm not sure it's for me. Especially since it seems to be fulfilling his career-long dream of sitting at the adult table and handling the A-list properties.

Last edited by Brain-Fall-Out Boy; 10/22/17 02:09 AM. Reason: I'm spel gud
Sarcasm Kid #939544 10/26/17 07:32 AM
Active
Active
I haven't grabbed this week's Flash yet. I've been avoiding the Metal tie ins, but the previous issue ended on a pretty important cliffhanger. Is it picked up in this issue, or can I safely wait for the crossover to pass?

Sarcasm Kid #940206 11/08/17 10:21 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
You can pick up Flash #33 it has nothing to do with Metal.

And on another topic, I've officially dropped Titans because I do NOT need this crap with Donna Troy in my life right now.

Sarcasm Kid #940479 11/12/17 01:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just picked up the most recent Titans. It's pretty bad

Also I was unimpressed with the second trade collection of Batgirl. It's too young for me

Sarcasm Kid #940480 11/12/17 01:38 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I mean, damn it Abnett I trusted you!

Sarcasm Kid #940775 11/17/17 12:12 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Element Lad says "hi", Sarky tongue

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Sarcasm Kid #941160 11/27/17 08:31 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Sarcasm Kid #941162 11/27/17 09:26 AM
Active
Active
Very sad, but not exactly shocking given the sales. At least his big epic got to wrap up well.

Sarcasm Kid #941163 11/27/17 09:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yeah Cyborg has been one of those books that I have been pleasantly surprised by - nothing spectacular but steady quality

Sarcasm Kid #941234 11/28/17 02:05 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
That's a real shame. It's been consistently great, both writing and art. It was both superhero fun, but also a nice sub-niche carved out among the all encompassing superhero genre. As I've said before, it reminded me of 80's Firestorm and Blue Devil and 90's Ray for carving out its own place among the icons in the DC schedule.

It's also a shame because it has been IMO the best person-of-color driven solo title of this era. Able to stand on his own, rather than in the shadow of a former hero who shared the same identity, Cyborg was wholly his own thing.

This sucks. Not sure what else DC could have done to make this work.

Sarcasm Kid #941292 11/29/17 05:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thought on the ethics of Doomsday Clock?

http://comicsbulletin.com/case-doomsday-clock-part-one-history/

While the author is a little strident (some would say evangelical) in his denunciation, he does raise a good point. I safely ignored the entirety of "Before Watchmen" as I saw it as a blatant cash grab and disrespect towards Moore and Gibbons. Does the fact that Doomsday Clock ties into a story I'm invested in (Rebirth), really make it all that much different in the end?

Dave Hackett #941295 11/29/17 07:54 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
It has long been my opinion that "Creator's Rights" are a fantasy, and "Business Ethics" is an oxymoron.

"Isn't that what lawyers are supposed to do? Something else else illegal legally!" -- Paula Prentiss, "He and She"

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Sarcasm Kid #941303 11/30/17 01:31 AM
Active
Active
Not judging anyone else who decides the issue for themselves, but I have stayed away from every attempt to exploit watchmen or V for vendetta, both comics and film. For whatever reason I'm not bothered about John Constantine, probably because more himself has not shown much interest in the creation.

Sarcasm Kid #941349 11/30/17 08:00 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I've been saying this since last week, but the fact that Johns spent a year building up a sequel to Watchmen nobody asked for or wanted just because it would absolve Barry Allen of being responsible for the New 52 when the company finally decided it was a mistake, says kind of a LOT about him.

Last edited by Sarcasm Kid; 11/30/17 08:00 PM.
Sarcasm Kid #941722 12/14/17 05:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Okay! So I read these about 2 months ago, but here's my belated reviews of my last batch of Rebirth trades!!!

Superman Vol. 2: Trials of the Super Son is actually made up of four smaller stories: a done-in-one featuring Lois, Clark and Jon enjoying a county fair with Clark trying to keep a no super-powers promise, a 2-parter with Clark and Jon having an adventure in the Land That Time Forgot, a 2-parter that serves as a backdoor pilot for Super Sons and a 2-parter guest-starring Frankenstein. These smaller stories are just what the doctor ordered following what I felt was a drawn-out Eradicator story in volume one and enabled the book to focus on its strength, which is the core family dynamic. Clark and Jon get a lot of father-son development on Dinosaur Island, and Lois gets lots of room to shine in the Frankenstein story. Jon's co-starring role with Damian Wayne in the middle is delightful and full of humor. It serves as the perfect trailer for what I've heard is a delightful Super Sons book that I look forward to reading. Patrick Gleason and Doug Mahnke are some of the very best in DC's artistic line-up, so this book is a guaranteed visual treat. Basically, the stories in this volume, while not exactly unforgettable, are exactly what I want this title to be, and they hopefully signify more greatness to come.

Aquaman Vol. 2: Black Manta Rising was eagerly-awaited by this reader as the first volume of this book (along with the Flash) earned my highest praise in Rebirth to this point. I was a little wary at first because the first two issues within feature a Doomsday-like threat in the form of a classic JLA villain whom I wasn't all that eager to see. But after that, the story just rockets and delivers on more of the characterization, imagination and suspense that hooked me so well in the prior volume. As the trade's title implies, Black Manta is back where we last saw him, wielding more power behind the scenes than we've ever seen him do in traditional slugfests. He's using his resources to manipulate the U.S. into a war with Atlantis. In the middle is Aquaman, with ties to both but King to one, trying to avert catastrophe and expose the truth before it's too late. It's a powerful tale that works so well, as the first volume did, because the real-world parallels make the story resonate. But on top of that is the way writer Dan Abnett deepens our understanding of Atlantean culture on the way, using Mera's outsider viewpoint under the plot point of having to prove herself worthy and accepted in her betrothal to Arthur. The supporting cast also gets enriched a lot, which makes the book so well-rounded and every aspect enjoyable. In the end we get a satisfying conclusion to the Black Manta main plot, but we are left with plenty of build-up to more major plots to come as well as this one's aftermath. And the art by Scot eaton, Brad walker and Phillippe Briones is always excellent, bright and evocative. It's still one of the best of Rebirth's best!

Batman Vol. 2: I Am Suicide is another good effort by Tom King to take Batman in his own unique direction. This is something hard to do with a character with as much mileage as Bruce Wayne, but there's some slivers of originality there. Mainly, King is humanizing Bruce somewhat more than most ever do. There's an emotionally vulnerable side of him, one that pretty much admits that he considered suicide in his younger years. And a side that is particularly soft toward Selina Kyle, that is less willing to be alone. The bulk of the story within involves Batman infiltrating Bane's fortress with his own makeshift Suicide Squad, each memeber chosen for a specific purpose and the objective a very personal one to help a member of the Bat-family. I think the worst part of this trade is that basically every development in these stories is spoiled all over the internet. This is clearly Rebirth's flagship book, so all of the surprises within weren't really surprises because articles popped up with every issue. I can blame myself for clicking, of course, but MAN are the spoilers pervasive for this book! Anyhow, that's no fault of the book itself; it's very well done, and, as I said, has found its own niche for Batman that is appealing and features Mikel Janin as the latest in a line of good to great Batman artists. I've always personally liked Bruce and Selina together, so that is also a big plus. I'd say this is about on par with volume one overall, and it's earned my recent transition to individual issues, which may also help with the spoiler problem.

All-Star Batman Vol. 1: My Own Worst Enemy is Scott Snyder and John Romita, Jr. giving readers a non-stop thrillride in which they throw in everything AND the kitchen sink. At times the plot feels kind of implausible, but it definitely achieves its objectives to surprise and thrill. I think what makes this book more than just a ride on the crazy train is that Snyder has a take on classic villain Two-Face that feels unique without contradicting what has gone before. It really works and gives the story some backbone which will hopefully inform future Two-Face stories. It also heavily features new Bat supporting character Duke Thomas in a memorable role. He also gets his own back-up feature which gives some much-needed back-story. Overall, this feels stronger than Snyder's New 52 Batman stuff, which went off the rails so much that I dropped it and contributed to my overall disenfranchisement with DC and the New 52 and caused me to drop it until Rebirth brought me back. Fun book and good to see Romita Jr. drawing it.

Finally, since I'd had the earliest single issues after this trade and wanted to read a few months of singles afterwards, I skipped ahead and read Green Arrow Vol. 3: Emerald Outlaw, and I'm really glad I did! His reputation in Seattle already hurting from the events of the series to date, Green Arrow faces an even greater threat as a mysterious figure who is also using bow and arrows is framing him by wounding or killing a number of people he has either saved or he's had opposition from. Green Arrow is an outlaw, and that is making it very hard to clear his name. As I type this, it sounds like a pretty generic plot, but it is all in the execution and the crafting of story and character. Basically, volume 1 was good but flawed, volume 2 was a marked improvement and this one is where the book totally finds its groove and feels like it's the book it really should be. It is now like an almost perfect fusion of what is best about the Arrow TV show and what was best about the activist character before the New 52 along with its own original elements that writer Ben Percy brings. It is now pretty much the Green Arrow book I've always wanted but never quite got (sometimes not even close!) in previous incarnations. Even while having a tense story, the book still feels fun all the while, which is quite an accomplishment. And as I've mentioned before, Black Canary is one of Rebirth's brightest stars, and she really shines here (as she does in Birds of Prey) as a bonafide co-star. And Otto Schmidt and Juan Ferreyra have really won me over as the book's unconventional artists. I don't know if my love for this book is completely objective, but I've always had a soft spot for DC's archer that this book really serves well!

Let's update my rankings!

Best of the Best--WANT MORE NOW!!!

Aquaman Vols. 1 & 2
Flash
Green Arrow Vol. 3

Awesomesauce!!

Batman Vols. 1 & 2
Detective Comics
Batgirl
Deathstroke
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
Green Arrow Vol. 2
Superman Vol. 2

Really Good, Will Def Continue!

Green Arrow Vol. 1
Superman
Green Lanterns
Nightwing
Cyborg
All-Star Batman

meh. May or may not continue

Wonder Woman
Action Comics
Hal Jordan and the GLC
Titans
Suicide Squad
Hellblazer

Where's the Incinerator?

Justice League

So this is the best preformance YET in a Rebirth review batch! Normally, by now, you'd think there'd be some natural backlash/newness wearing off, but if you look at the books I put in the upper tiers to date, it's hard to argue anything but overwhelming success!

Coming soon....

Action Comics Vol. 2
Wonder Woman Vol. 2
Red Hood & the Outlaws Vol. 1
Green Lanterns Vol. 2

Now, this may be one that gravitates to lower tiers, based on my lukewarm reviews of the first volumes of Action and WW and my indifference toward Red Hood. Of these, Green lanterns is the one I'd have the most inherent enthusiasm for. But I've heard Action gets better and Nicola Scott's WW arc is exceptional. And there's been good word-of-mouth on Red Hood, plus an overall high quality from the Bat-books to date. So this may be a real dark horse of a batch. We'll see.....

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Sarcasm Kid #941764 12/16/17 12:08 AM
Active
Active
I know that last issue, the events of titans caused some people here to throw in the towel. I don't know if it will make a difference, but that storyline is 100 percent resolved in this week's issue. In fact, all of the current outstanding plot lines are wrapped up. I actually had to double check that dan abnett is still writing the book going forward. It could easily have served as a final issue of his run.

Sarcasm Kid #941936 12/21/17 07:35 AM
Active
Active
Just saw a headline saying "DC To Replace All Damaged Supergirl #16 Copies."

Don't get too excited. It turns out DC is NOT changing the title of the book to All-Damaged Supergirl.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #941945 12/21/17 12:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy

Don't get too excited. It turns out DC is NOT changing the title of the book to All-Damaged Supergirl.

Guess they figure we've had enough of angsty heroes.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Sarcasm Kid #941951 12/21/17 01:59 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
WHY is it damaged though?

Sarcasm Kid #941952 12/21/17 02:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Anyone looking for their YJ fix, the "Super Sons of Tomorrow" crossover will have the adult versions of Conner, Cassie and Bart traveling back to the present day (where they don't currently exist).

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #941964 12/21/17 08:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

That would be the saddest book EVER. Even more morose than a MORRISSEY Batman

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #942009 12/23/17 09:59 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S

In the Bizarro-verse, All-Damaged Supergirl wasn't selling as well as The Legion of Sprocked-up Heroes.

But neither held a candle to The Doomed Patrol, which remains at the high point of a twenty-five year domination of the genre, with sub-titles including the New Doomed, Doom-Force and Doom-Factor!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Sarcasm Kid #942428 01/01/18 07:56 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I broke my Black Canary ban to get JLA last week. It has Aztek and I needs me some more Aztek.

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,291
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Legolas
Legolas
on the lam!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star