Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester), 16 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/19/24 05:14 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 11:59 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 65 of 68 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 68
Re: So what are you READING?
Stu #940369 11/10/17 06:59 PM
Active
Active
Slugfest sounds fascinating. Looking at the Amazon page, I see it has an audiobook version. The only thing that gave me pause was the Associated Press blurb describing it as "the story of Marvel's David toppling DC's Goliath." But based on your description, I am going to assume that is the simplistic reading of whoever wrote that quote, rather than an accurate summation. That's an accurate description of the 60s and early 70s, but by the time of the DC implosion DC was definitely the underdog.

Last edited by Brain-Fall-Out Boy; 11/10/17 07:01 PM. Reason: Fixing quote
Stu #940371 11/10/17 08:00 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
"Slugfest" does indeed sound like a good read. I'll keep it in mind as my Christmas present to myself. smile

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
thoth lad #940450 11/11/17 07:24 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
[snip]

Originally Posted by thoth lad

Originally Posted by cleome51
The most believable thing that happens here is the P.I.'s painter girlfriend abandoning him for being a suicidal goon without the common sense to leave town when the bodies start to pile up. She could forgive him by story's end, I suppose. shrug

Gah! It's been over a month now and Cleome still hasn't told us if she gets back with him at the end!

If only all the residents of murder prone English TV towns would move at the next death.

No, she does not.

Proof positive that she was the only character in the book who deserved a better story to appear in.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Stu #944846 02/23/18 08:46 PM
Active
Active
Audiobooks that I'm listening to feel more at home in this thread then be listening, so I'm going to post about them here. I'm almost finished with dragonfly in amber, the second book and Diana gabaldon's outlander series. While I enjoyed the first, it felt too long and dragged in places. Despite the fact that this one is longer, I enjoyed it more and zipped right through it.

I was also possibly surprised by how well structured it is. Ongoing series sometimes have a tendency to just become one long narrative, and the authors don't bother to provide any structure to the particular installment. The opening of the novel set up a new situation that raised many questions. Did novel peers to be on track to answer those by the end, and there were a number of storylines that were introduced and have concluded or are concluding in the same volume. I guess I'll see if she manages to maintain that is the series progresses, but it's nice here.

Coming here to write this caused me to remember that I had intended to listen to slugfest. Since I expect to finish dragon fly tonight? I will make that my next listen.

Stu #945876 03/17/18 05:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just got From a Drood to a Kill.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Stu #945919 03/18/18 05:40 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Just finished Part One of Neil Gaiman's View From The Cheap Seats.

He spends a great deal of time discussing his particular approach to writing. Very interesting.

https://www.creativeprocess.info/new-blog-1/2016/6/11/these-are-not-our-faces

Last edited by Klar Ken T5477; 03/19/18 08:10 AM.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Stu #946260 03/24/18 08:30 PM
Active
Active
Again, posting audiobooks in the read thread instead of the listen.

Just finished World of Warcraft: War Crimes by Christie Golden, narrated by my favorite audiobook narrator, Scott Brick.

I’ve been playing WoW on-and-off for about a year. I’m finally starting to get a grasp on the basic shape of the narrative, and this is my first WoW novel.

It’s a fairly important one, because it’s a transition/prequel between two of the games’ expansions. I couldn’t have picked a better first novel. It’s the trial of one of the game’s main villains, and the testimony winds up covering the events of several years’ worth of game in a way that is both easy to digest and quite emotional, coming as personal accounts of people involved.

It’s more involved with character than plot, with most of the characters wrestling with questions of justice, hate, mercy, and such. It also delves into the idea of trials and coverage of atrocities being turned into entertainment. It also made the defendant unquestioningly guilty and unrepentant, making easy solutions difficult.

It was much better than a media tie-in has any right to be. I wouldn’t say it transcends the genre, but it’s one of the best examples of it I’ve read.

The narration was of course flawless. If you haven’t discovered Scott Brick, I would highly recommend the audiobook version of Tom de Haven’sIt’s Superman, one of the best Superman stories I’ve ever encountered in ANY genre.

Stu #946360 03/26/18 08:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just started Madame Bovary last night. It's been standing silently on my shelf for years.

I recently finished Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward. It won the National Book Award last year, and I kept finding it on various respected recommendation lists. Ward's lovely lyrical language unveils the souls and struggles of a southern Mississippi family, especially 13-year-old biracial Jojo and his in-and-out mom. I'll remember the feeling of this book for a long time.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Stu #946420 03/27/18 01:48 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I keep falling asleep early on in the audiobook version of the Midwich Cuckoos. Oddly, it's just about the time the main characters fall asleep too. Coincidence? Really?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Stu #946639 03/31/18 04:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Waiting for Moonbreaker by Simon R. Green.

Something pithy!
Stu #947070 04/08/18 11:53 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I am currently trying to read Neo-Platonist philosophy by Plotinus. It feels good to get the brain working in ways it hasn't since college.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Stu #947159 04/09/18 06:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Feeling sad because I'm about to finish book nine of the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne, and it's the last one.

Something pithy!
Stu #947250 04/11/18 10:44 AM
Garden catalogues... again.

(I really want to plant some rhubarb this year, but still trying to figure out when I'll have time to prime the space for it.)

ChlorophyllKid

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Stu #948018 04/24/18 07:11 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
I recently posed the following hypothetical to all my kids:

“What one book would you recommend all children read before the end of 12th grade?”

#1 Child: The Samurai: The Philosophy of Victory, by Robert T. Samuel
#2 Child: Jonathan Strange and Mister Norrell, by Susanna Clarke
#3 Child: The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (wanted to say The Silmarillion, edited by Christopher Tolkien, but lost courage)
#4 Child: The Tao Te Ching, by Lao Tzu, and / or The Tao of Pooh, by Benjamin Hoff
#5 Child: The Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank

As for myself, it would be The Carrot Seed, by Ruth Krauss, illustrated by Crockett Johnson, possibly the greatest one-hundred-and-one words ever written in the English language.

"A little boy planted a carrot seed.
His mother said, “I'm afraid it won't come up.”
His father said, “I'm afraid it won't come up.”
And his big brother said, “It won't come up.”
Every day the little boy pulled up the weeds around the seed and sprinkled the ground with water.
But nothing came up.
And nothing came up.
Everyone kept saying it wouldn't come up.
But still he pulled up the weeds around it every day and sprinkled the ground with water.
And then one day a carrot came up, just as the little boy had known it would.
"

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Stu #948237 04/28/18 10:22 AM
Interesting topic, Klar. Being a visual person myself, I think I'd hand my niece or nephew a copy of Thirteen. I'm sure their folks know all the classics, but that one's kind of off the beaten path and undeservedly so.

I was never much for Tolkien, but for sure I'd see that Watership Down and A Wrinkle In Time were on my list, too. Maybe Ellin Greene's & Trina Schart Hyman's Clever Cooks would be there to help instill a love of fairy tales, food lore, and great childrens' art of course.

Stu #948238 04/28/18 10:36 AM
I just finished Rope Of Gold by Josephine Herbst. It took all my self-control to not sit down and devour the whole thing in a couple of days. A really compelling read from an unjustly forgotten author.

In her lifetime, she was sometimes compared to Hemmingway, but despite their mutual love for writing fiction about the political movements of their day, I'm not really seeing it. Herbst's style has a certain detachment in what would be very emotional events IRL, but it's not as sparse and (to me) off-putting as E.H's has always been. Plus, when her saga moves to Cuba and the sugar strikes of the 1930s, she refrains from dropping the N-Word all over the place. I know, I know... changing styles and mores and all that. But Hemmingway's penchant for the word was one of the things which made me slam one of his books shut without bothering to finish the story in question.

There's quite a large cast of characters, bound by family and business ties. She drops some truly upsetting revelations and occasionally hilariously vulgar moments on the reader with little build-up or warning. This might bother some readers, but I found the occasional shock kept me on my toes. It's a long book, and was originally the end of a trilogy, but to me it went by in a flash. I know I'll be reading it again soon.

Her Wiki Bio

Stu #948373 04/29/18 08:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've just started reading Great Esquire Fiction: The Finest Stories from the First Fifty Years. I probably bought the book shortly after it was published in 1983 and until now have never read it.

It's quite the who's who of 20th century American fiction writers. Erskine Caldwell, Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Steinbeck, Norman Mailer, Arthur Miller, John Cheever, Philip Roth, Bernard Malamud, Flannery O'Connor, Raymond Carver, Truman Capote, William Styron, Tim O'Brien, Richard Ford, John Updike, Joyce Carol Oates, and 21 others. The selection is heavy with male writers, as one might expect.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Stu #948524 05/02/18 01:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Re-reading Butcher's Dresden.

Something pithy!
Stu #951078 06/06/18 02:20 PM
Now diving into Vera Brittain's Testament Of Youth again, for the first time in a long time. (Non-fiction about her life as a young woman and Army nurse during WWI.)

Stu #952813 07/01/18 10:39 PM
Active
Active
I've been reading/listening to a lot of trashy LGBT romances, since stuff at work is so heavy it's all I can really handle. Did you know that if you search Amazon for "transgender romance," the search engine apparently can't distinguish between, y'know, transgender romance, magical gender switch stories, and MPreg? True story.

Stu #952851 07/03/18 01:34 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The search engine needs to attend diversity & inclusion training, stat!

Stu #953130 07/06/18 08:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just finished Willa Cather's O Pioneers!

Stu #953662 07/14/18 02:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Bad Times book 4: Helldorado by Batman writer Chuck Dixon.

Something pithy!
Stu #953666 07/14/18 02:49 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I just finished Contact by Carl Sagan. Having only seen the film, I enjoyed this one quite a bit and appreciated the differences between them,

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Stu #962665 11/01/18 03:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Night Fall by Simon R. Green. Wraps up two series, the Nightside and the Secret Histories.

Something pithy!
Page 65 of 68 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,857
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Cham55
Cham55
Scotland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star