Roll Call
1 members (Reboot), 13 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Justice League: The Movie!
#941007 11/22/17 06:21 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to it this weekend. I see that the professional reviewers all hate it, but plenty of other folks are saying that it's pretty good. Either way, I'm looking forward to having a good time with the boy and my wife.

What did ya'll think?

*I didn't see a thread for this movie specifically. If there is one, feel free to lemme know and I'll delete this. Never have been able to get the search function to work for me.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Re: Justice League: The Movie!
rickshaw1 #941020 11/23/17 06:22 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It was the best of the Snyder movies, which is damning with faint praise, because the movie itself is completely mediocre. There's nothing inherently bad about it, it's just not exciting either. I also found the cast had poor chemistry. Miller wasn't particularly funny, Momoa didn't seem to be in the same film as everyone else and Batman was all over the road. Gadot and Cavill anchored this one for sure. The best outing for Superman of the three films. He actually smiled!

Last edited by Dave Hackett; 11/23/17 06:22 AM.
rickshaw1 #941024 11/23/17 10:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought that Wonder Woman was a great anchor for it. Cyborg was a surprise - I liked the actor and the visual of him. Similarly I really liked Mamoa's Aquaman - uproarious, enjoying adventure, and just sexy.

The small showcase of Atlantis made me look forward to Aquaman. And the Amazons are bad ass - even if their costumes seemed skimpier this time around

Flash was ... odd. There was a quirkiness that I appreciated, but he wasn't fleshed out very well

I didn't like Batman or Superman in this (though granted I didn't strongly dislike Superman as I have before) - and the epic end battle was curiously flat as soon as the plot device showed up (for me)

Soundtrack has some good moments, and I didn't find it overwhelming.

Like Dave said - it's decent, not terrible, not great.

rickshaw1 #941029 11/23/17 01:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, the ending was really flat. All three of my kids looked at me and said "is that it?". I also didn't vibe on either post-credit scene, though on paper both sound good.

rickshaw1 #941033 11/23/17 07:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I kept on thinking there was something missing, something that could have been special

Maybe another Justice Leaguer? Maybe someone like Fire? Hawkwoman? Vixen? Or even someone unconventional like Owl Woman?

I could see how the 2 hour limit HURT the film (and I am not a fan of 2+ hour films in general) in the cutting of Cyborg and Aquaman scenes. I also think that the film wasn't too accessible for non-comics folks - I mean, they never explained the boom boxes. I'm not even sure they ever said "Justice League" in the film (though granted, it's entirely possible I missed it)

rickshaw1 #941043 11/24/17 08:02 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I really liked it and plan to see it again in the theater. I did go back and rewatched Superman v Batman after seeing Justice League. Still disliked Superman v Batman.

As for more Justice Leaguers, I was discussing this on Facebook. Jessica Cruz Green Lantern was suggested.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
rickshaw1 #941061 11/24/17 06:59 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
It was Ok, but I was also hoping for a greater “moment” at the end. Final battle seemed too easy and short.

I liked the characters though, all of them seemed OK for me. Flash was such a dork, and I loved seeing Cyborg smile and Aquaman surf on that Parademon.

Still wish we had had a full seven.

Mera almost made me cheer!

rickshaw1 #941116 11/25/17 07:15 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I liked it. It was what it was, fun. The one moment for me that didn't work was when Bats smiled at Supes return. Maybe the slightest quirking upward of a grin, but not a full on smile.

Otherwise, I really didn't get the complaints I've read. Everything made sense, including the motherbox stuff.

I enjoyed the heck outta it. Sam loved it. Carol was a little "eh", but it worked for the two of us.

Can't wait for the DVD.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #941155 11/27/17 06:41 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Yeah, I also don’t get the complaints about plot holes and stuff. Everything seemed logical enough.

rickshaw1 #947396 04/14/18 04:06 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
That was a great deal of pennies spent by the studio on an overall indifferent film. The only DC film/TV I've seen was the Watchmen (and that Supergirl episode with the Legion), and with the same director this had a few similarities.

- It was very slow to get going.
- The main plot was a by-the-numbers affair with far too many getting the team together bits. Some serviced the main plot, but a lot didn't
- Considering all the getting the team together moments, it missed any number of opportunities to show the wider worlds of the heroes.
- Going by the end credits, that post credit scene and a few moments, it seems to be building towards the Rock of Ages storyline. If that's the case, then the pacing in this one was particularly off. Did they get cold feet trying for a 2 part movie? Imagine how much better this would have been if there was a hint of Darkseid arriving/ or his plans. Instead it's just a repeat of Steppenwolf getting away.
- Partly as a result of last point, Steppenwolf was a cardboard cut-out villain, in a plot that any number of earlier JLA writers and editors would have been too embarrassed to publish.
- I got the feeling that the whole thing was trying far too hard, weighed down with the budget and the expectations created by Marvel's success. I've not seen many of their films either, but Steppenwolf seemed like a Loki stand in and Darkseid name drops as a Thanos stand in.
- DC have got to be less embarrassed about Aquaman's communication with sealife thing. Let it go guys.
- I had only seen the poster, and I misremembered that. I kept waiting for Green Lantern to show up. smile There was a flashback Lantern (no Gil Kane credit though?)
- I read the first issue of the rebirth JLA ( I think it was that) It was a tedious issue of Batman snarking with Lantern while the plot moved glacially. Jim Lee's appearance on the credits, reminded me on how boring that book was.
- Wonder Woman was probably the character and actor keeping the whole thing together, which she did very well.
- Cyborg was a big plus too. He's a bit of a 4th World Plot McGuffin though, so not sure how that works long term. But it's an improvement over his comic origin that never came to anything.
- Most folks got their character arcs in, which is a decent sized plus. It's also something that you don't get much of in the JLA books.

So, not a bad movie. But only being OK is a huge waste of what could have been.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #949544 05/19/18 12:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I saw it finally, I didn't think it was bad. That's what I had heard from people and read from critics.

Wonder Woman was my favorite part of the film, especially the hostage scene in the beginning. I thought she was so cool.

I didn't get the "why don't you inspire people" line from Batman to her ... seems awkward considering she inspires so many people in real life. Like they threw her under the bus to make Superman seem more inspiring.

I thought the Flash's special effects were cool, he's so fast we don't see him do a lot! The speed force is just way to complicated for me though.

I liked this Aquaman, I wish he got more screen time and wish he was more the king version. These five young heroes seem like such a devolution from the comics. I'm tired of origin stories myself and wish writers would write more bravely.

Steppenwolf wasn't a big enough bad after Ares ... this shouldve been a group or Darkseid probably. Again, they're making it easy on themselves rather than writing bigger and bigger.

I wasn't into Cyborg as Apokolptian technology or his possibly being a bad guy ... seems like contrived movie tension.

Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman were my faves. Which is funny because they weren't central to the plot.

rickshaw1 #950026 05/25/18 03:52 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I'd say it was because she hid away from the world after defeating Ares. She wasn't inspiring in their movie world.

Something pithy!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,270
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star