Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
Re: Batman, Detective Comics and All-Star Batman
Cobalt Kid #937789 09/21/17 07:30 AM
Active
Active
I didn't read Snyder's run on Batman, and a lot of the ideas I've heard seem honestly kind of doofy to me. What he did with the Joker, and the Court of Owls. Well, more the Court of Owls being introduced so late in Batman's career, a secret society running Gotham that Batman somehow failed to discover during all of his years knowing Gotham inside and out. But I know he's considered a good Batman writer. Would actually reading the books win me over? Or if I don't like the ideas, is this just not a run for me?

Also, how was Grayson? Now that I've worked through all of Tom King's limited run stuff, and not having cared for his Batman Rebirth, the only thing left to potentially try is Grayson. In theory, his time as a CIA agent should make that a compelling read, but it looks less "Sheriff of Babylon" and more "James Bond." if it's a worthy addition to his oeuvre I'll check it out, but if it's only okay but nothing special, I'll probably pass.

Cobalt Kid #937790 09/21/17 08:16 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I left Batman a few issues into Snyder's New-52 run. I've tried multiple times to get into Snyder (Swamp Thing, Batman, Metal), and every time I'm left wanting. It's odd, because I like some of his concepts, and he's passionate about the same characters I am, but the execution never rings true for me.

I do find it funny how people criticise Morrison for perpetuating the Bat-God depiction, while people are more accepting of Snyder who has had Batman come back from the dead, rebuild his body, and now in Meta,l has literally made him the most important person in the world.

Cobalt Kid #937804 09/21/17 01:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Snyder lost me with his New 52 Batman series. I stuck thru Court of Owls but thought Death of the Family was terrible. If Morrison made Bruce into Bat-God, then Snyder did about the same thing with an invincible Joker.

Far superior was Snyder's immediate pre-New 52 run with Jock and Francesco Francavilla that featured Dick under the cowl, most (or all?) of which is collected in the Black Mirror trade. I figure if someone reads that run and doesn't care for it, then they'll never like Snyder's writing.

As for Grayson, I've never read it. However, former regular poster Conjure Lass loved it and said it was tons of fun, and she's the biggest Dick Grayson fan I know. Others, possibly including Cobie, have said nice things about Grayson, as well.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Cobalt Kid #937805 09/21/17 01:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
I bought it but haven't read it yet. Knowing full well there would be delays, I wanted it all to be done before I even started.

Well, I hope you read it soon-ish and let us know. Based on comments here and researching the review aggregate site Comic Book Roundup, it seems like the reception for DK3 has been lukewarm at best. (Reviews don't always reflect my reaction to the product, however--the site shows the response to Rebirth Cyborg, a book me and Cobie really dig, being tepid.) So at the moment, I'll pass on the DK3 HC, even though it's currently 50% off.

Cobalt Kid #937839 09/22/17 12:26 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I hope to have it read sometime before 2019! wink

Cobalt Kid #938166 09/30/17 06:57 AM
Active
Active
Despite feeling just as ambivalent, I managed to inhale the next two trades. I am skipping "I Am Night of the Monster Men" and "I Am The Button." I have trouble getting my head around his take on the character. Sometimes he's a broken mess, sometimes he seems like he is full of zen wisdom, seeing the things that make others crazy but somehow seeming at peace with it.

I am super not won over by his Batman/Catwoman relationship. Again, it veers wildly, this time from "unhealthy codependent" to "true soulmates who understand and accept each other." First they are drawn together by their mutual deathwishes. And then we're supposed to root for their engagement, I guess? Am I the only one hoping she turns him down? And something about the way they call each other "Bat" and "Cat" just makes me shudder on a very visceral level.

Teying to decide if I want to try "I Am The War of Jokes and Riddles" or not. Since it's a flashback and not something that immediately hooks me, I'm leaning towards not, and maybe just sampling the next issue. Is there any compelling reason to reconsider? I know he's supposed to be telling Catwoman some horrible secret. Is that secret either important or compelling enough to read if that's my main motivation?

Last edited by Brain-Fall-Out Boy; 09/30/17 06:58 AM.
Cobalt Kid #938312 10/03/17 01:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well I'm not sure that the BIG secret has been revealed yet in the War ... The pace of the War is plodding with sporadic heavy action - methinks they are trying to capture the feel of war rather than one relentless battle. If that's the intent, they are pretty successful in it. It's an offbeat read.

The War allows us to see more of the intimate moments between Selina and Bruce (or "Cat" and "Bat" if that's your preference). I'm not sure what the wedding bells are about. Is Bruce going through some kind of mid-life crisis? Is he feeling the biological clock ticking and wants to produce a Helena or another Damian? I do enjoy the notion of Bruce and Selina - especially the classic Earth 2 versions. Will this version be allowed to grow and thrive? Or will this be another Mary Jane and Peter marriage - where the editors and writers decided a deal with the devil was required to cut their way out??

The War is enjoyable for me because I think Tom King and I have the same character preferences. The spotlights on Deadshot and Kite Man have brought welcome focus on these characters.

Cobalt Kid #938326 10/03/17 02:45 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I like what they did with Kite Man in the story.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Cobalt Kid #938672 10/10/17 06:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has anybody been reading Dark Nights Metal? What's the consensus?

Cobalt Kid #938912 10/16/17 03:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Okay so I've seen the preview for Batman: The Drowned and Dan Abnett has made one of the best Looney Tunes jokes ever by giving a male version of Selena Kyle the first name "Sylvester."

Sarcasm Kid #938917 10/16/17 05:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
Okay so I've seen the preview for Batman: The Drowned and Dan Abnett has made one of the best Looney Tunes jokes ever by giving a male version of Selena Kyle the first name "Sylvester."

You should check out Batman/Elmer Fudd, there's some great and creative use of the Looney Tunes (including Sylvester).

In answer to your previous question, I'm underwhelmed by Metal so far. I get the premise, and even like some of the ideas, I just find Synder's actual writing leaves me cold.

Cobalt Kid #938924 10/16/17 06:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've mentioned this before but I'm gonna be mad as hell if I find out there's not gonna be a Dark Multiverse guide. The Drowned is the only part I've been interested in because it looks like she's the only Dark Knight they put effort into being truly distinctive instead of a generic "Batman gone bad" Earth like the Dawnbreaker and Murder Machine and Red Death.

Sarcasm Kid #939244 10/20/17 09:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
Has anybody been reading Dark Nights Metal? What's the consensus?

It started strong but it has gotten progressively less cohesive as it goes on ... UGH

Cobalt Kid #939365 10/23/17 03:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I was checking out the new story arc in Batman and, for some reason I thought Joelle Jones' artwork looked a bit off. It reminded me a little of the Pander Bros. style.

Cobalt Kid #941753 12/15/17 12:36 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The recent Batman Annual features a brilliant King story about Batman and Catwoman, and the love they share. It may be the best Bat/Cat love story I've ever read, and made their romantic pairing appealing to me for the first time.

King's Batman is quirky and is at times not for everyone. This was one of his best stories yet IMO.

Cobalt Kid #941762 12/15/17 11:53 PM
Active
Active
I may give the annual a chance on your recommendation, but I have to say that so far, King has not sold me on the pairing at all. In fact, it was the engagement that convinced me to stop trying to like the book, because it pretty much guaranteed that the book was going to become wall-to-wall my least favorite part of his run to date.

Cobalt Kid #942288 12/30/17 02:17 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I’m reading in Trade collection sets now (saving my individual ebook copies to read until they match an upcoming Trade collection) for all my comics and I’ve been enjoying King’s run on Batman. I have to say it is the only book by either of the Big Two I bother keeping up with. Marvel has been subpar with the awful Secret Empire storyline, which I couldn’t even finish and the lackluster new X-Men series which I’m still trying to like. Waiting for the last two Dark Nights Metal issues before jumping into that one.

Cobalt Kid #956834 08/22/18 06:20 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm near the tail end of a "new" comics floppy read (I'm always at least several months behind, as I usually read trades with the floppy reads being the "break"), and one of the highlights was Tom King's Batman Annual #2. This book focuses on the genesis and then the apparent future of the Batman/Catwoman relationship. Full disclosure, I've been pro-Batman/Catwoman since Julie Newmar & Adam West, so the Tom King run has been an automatic win for me for that reason alone. And, yes, I know the wedding didn't happen, so no reason to tiptoe around that.

I thought the story was just delightful as it showed Selena playing a cat and mouse game with Bruce. A cool twist King put in there was that she figured out his secret identity very early on in his career. And she uses that knowledge very playfully to toy with him. She gradually breaks thru his personal walls, and they start to form the beginnings of what they would find with each other in the current stories. It ends with a future-set coda that shows you how their story might end. This ending is beautiful and plays somewhat with how their story ended in the classic pre-Crisis Earth-2 continuity but with some notable twists. I absolutely loved it!

It doesn't hurt that one of my favorite artists Lee Weeks draws the entire flashback tale, and the coda is by another favorite Michael Lark.

Easily one of the best Batman stories in a while!

Cobalt Kid #956840 08/22/18 07:06 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Hm. I like both those artists, too. So I just might give Tom King a second chance. Thanks, Lardy.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Cobalt Kid #956847 08/22/18 07:43 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I can't guarantee you'll like it, but I hope you do. As I admitted, King is scratching my Selena/Bruce itch, so I'm biased.

Cobalt Kid #956873 08/23/18 05:11 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Noted. And appreciated. hug

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Chameleon Boy
Chameleon Boy
RWC, CA USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star