Roll Call
0 members (), 174 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 09:14 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/28/24 08:46 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:21 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by razsolo - 03/28/24 06:18 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 85 of 86 1 2 83 84 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge #937193 09/08/17 11:17 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Jorge, great to see ya' again! cheers

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ultra Jorge #937379 09/11/17 02:33 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Welcome back Jorge! Great to see you again!

This thread has become a mainstay of LW! (And it's all the better if you stay active in it! nod)

Ultra Jorge #937380 09/11/17 03:05 PM
Beginning on the new season of Bojack Horseman now. I was trying to do some artwork, so more listening than watching really. I still got my share of chuckles out of it, though.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ultra Jorge #937383 09/11/17 03:53 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Just starting binge-watching iZombie, and it's hilarious. I've only finished the first season, but the writing is super-snappy and the characters are fun, like early Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ultra Jorge #937393 09/11/17 08:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Ultra Jorge
Originally Posted by Blacula
I just saw Dunkirk (in IMAX 70 mm). I really, really enjoyed it. IMO it was pretty much flawless, although my viewing partner said he thought Saving Private Ryan (a film I found OK but a bit too sentimentally sappy and generic) was better, so take that for what you will.

I liked Saving Private Ryan but agree it was sentimental, sappy, and generic. Which I can say for most Spielberg films...yet I like them as well. I am really excited about Dunkirk. I don't go to the theater often. Waiting for it come out so I can watch at home. I'm a Nolan fan so I was expecting something great.

Welcome back Jorge! Long time!

It's a shame you missed Dunkirk on the big screen because it's one of the few movies that takes full advantage of the large format I think (there are some breath-taking shots of a small plane or boat against the vastness of the ocean for example), but at least you won't have to put up with annoying patrons! I rarely go to the movies these days either because of all the talkers and texters.

Ultra Jorge #937784 09/21/17 05:36 AM
Active
Active
Almost caught up on Gotham, which I lost track of earlier this season. I know a lot of folks don't like it, but I've always loved the combo of the over the top 60s Batman style performances with dark violence, black humor and broken personalities.

I know there's a queerbaiting debate about last season's Penguin/Riddler story, but I am on the creators side of this one. Penguin was unambiguously in love with Ed and that dynamic was central to their storyline.

Ultra Jorge #937785 09/21/17 05:51 AM
Active
Active
Plus, a lot of these people are now turning to Zsaszlepot shipping. And that's just wrong.

Ultra Jorge #937849 09/23/17 02:01 AM
I'm now done watching all the Columbo episodes. Starting on Murder, She Wrote: another old favorite that I've really only ever seen bits and pieces of.

(I only just realized today that both series have the same two co-creators. I really need to pay better attention.)

Ultra Jorge #937874 09/23/17 01:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I am watching lots of documentaries lately. I am currently watching ones about the Minoans, an ancient civilization on Crete. I also highly recommend PBS's Eons channel on Youtube, which talks about paleontology.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Ultra Jorge #937878 09/23/17 09:13 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Finished binge-watching the first three seasons of iZombie, and it rocked. The characters and dialogue are very fun. I can't wait for season 4.

Also saw the first three episodes of The Orville, Seth McFarlane's Star Trek spoof and it's not for me. I've never found him terribly funny, and the show can't seem to decide whether it's going to be a comedy or quasi-serious, and it's kind of failing at both, at the moment. I've given it enough chances, I think, and I'm gonna skip the rest, unless I hear that it's radically changed in quality.

Dark Matter, over at Syfy, seems to have died, which is a shame. Killjoys looks on-track to being picked up for another season, at least. Neither of them have been game-changers, IMO, but both are decent popcorn sci-fi, and on par with Syfy shows like Eureka (and a cut above Warehouse 13, IMO).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ultra Jorge #938611 10/10/17 06:59 AM
Active
Active
I've been captivated by "Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath," a documentary series by the former scientologist exposing their practices.

There are a few shockers in there, but by and large it's material I've read in other CoS pieces. What really captivates me is the chemistry and different viewpoints of Remini and her cohost Mike Rinder. Leah Remini was a rank-and-file Scientologist until her celebrity status raised her high enough to see the insanity at the upper levels, at which point she left. Mike Rinder was a high-ranking Scientologist who was instrumental in many of the church's abuses until he left. Sometimes their guests are people he terrorized in the name of "fair game" before his departure. It's interesting to watch her shock and outrage at each new story contrasted with his quieter sadness, as he alreadty knew about all of these practices, even if he didn't know all of the specific cases.

The episode regularly cites excerpts of the church's attack letter against Remini, and directs viewers to a website where they can read all of the church's responses to the stories and people on the show. When a guest has an individual attack letter against them, Remini will read parts of it to the viewers. Apparently this is part of some "balance" policy meant to protect them from the litigious church, but it has the added benefit of showing how awful the church is in its own words.

I just watched the second season premiere, which focused on former scientologists who were abused as children. It was a had episode to get to. And apparently it sparked a backlash from the church, as well as a cascade of other people contacting them with their stories. So there's going to be more rough going on that front in future episodes.

I actually had no idea who Leah Remini was before I went down this rabbit hole, but I liked her enough that I am also checking out her new sitcom "Kevin Can Wait." It's a fun if forgettable and pedestrian sitcom. I mostly enjoy it for watching Remini basically be herself. I don't think this latest fad of mine is going to be big enough to wade through 9 seasons of King of Queens, though.

Ultra Jorge #938626 10/10/17 11:23 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^I know almost nothing about her, but for some reason started getting the CoS attack ads against her showing up on my Facebook feed. They definitely have the opposite effect of what they intend on me.

Ultra Jorge #939643 10/27/17 08:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Stranger things season 2

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #939733 10/29/17 11:51 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Stranger things season 2

I binged it this weekend. I loved some of the new relationships they developed between characters this season, especially Steve and Dustin.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Ultra Jorge #939994 11/04/17 07:58 AM
Active
Active
I'm behind on Orphan Black because I've been watching it with friends when we can make time. Tonight we will be watching the last two episodes.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #940015 11/04/17 09:04 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy
I'm behind on Orphan Black because I've been watching it with friends when we can make time. Tonight we will be watching the last two episodes.

Great, great series!

Though, I will say that I didn't find the final season and final episode entirely satisfying. I'll be curious to read any thoughts you will have.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ultra Jorge #940125 11/07/17 01:32 AM
Active
Active
We had to postpone. The trick is to get all three of us together at once. :-)

Ultra Jorge #940231 11/09/17 09:59 AM
I've sort of half-watched Stranger Things a few times since last year. mr_cleome loves it, so he'll watch it at his computer in our shared workspace, on his laptop. I'll be working on collages across the room with my back to the screen, so I end up listening more than watching.

The performances are good. However, I agree with one online critic who feels like the constant product references and homages to pop culture of the past sometimes get in the way of characterization and story. Granted, there are long expanses where you're relying on visuals rather than dialogue. (Unlike, say, Bojack Horseman: a show that's very dialogue-dense. Even with my back turned to the screen I can be mesmerized by the goings-on. B.H. also seems to take a more jaundiced (sometimes even savage) view of the 1990s than S.T. does of the 1980s.)

Ultra Jorge #940235 11/09/17 10:13 AM
Also hoping to check out the adaptation of Alias, Grace on Netflix. I've mentioned before that as revered as it is, Atwood's Handmaid's Tale has always left me pretty cold. A.G., on the other hand, was a dynamite read. Some of her best work. I'm very anxious to see if the TV version lives up to it, or just focuses on the more gory, sensationalistic aspects. This one, I'll have to give my full attention to.

Ultra Jorge #940370 11/10/17 07:23 PM
Active
Active
We are once again postponing the final two episodes of orphan black because I got an invitation to watch the extended cut of Batman versus Superman tomorrow night. In my friend circles, my analysis that "I enjoyed it and found it very interesting, but acknowledge that it is deeply flawed" has turned me into "the big Batman versus superman fan."

Ultra Jorge #940828 11/18/17 04:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just saw Thor: Ragnarok and it was the best movie I have seen this year. It is full of fights and lots of obscure references (and costumes!) for the comic book fans. I know there a lot of fans of 70s/80s Marvel Sci-Fi here who would be pleased.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Ultra Jorge #940855 11/19/17 01:10 PM
I'm enjoying the fan-made (Indiegogo-funded) new season of Original Recipe Trek quite a lot, so far.

I appreciate the force of will it probably took to play the whole thing straight after all these years.

Ultra Jorge #941071 11/24/17 10:53 PM
Active
Active
I watched the first couple of episodes of this season of Once Upon a Time, the "soft reboot." It was pretty entertaining, and fulfilled the promise of not having to know anything about the seasons I've missed. Only three cast members carried over, plus the teenage Henry has been recast as an adult, becoming the series lead many years after last season. None of the traditional romantic pairings made it through, and those tiresome, endlessly circling lovers were one of the main reasons I quit. With a new concept that harkens back to the pilot while feeling like there's lots of fresh opportunity, I can't say I'm raving about it, but if you liked the early seasons of the show, it might be worth a gander.

Ultra Jorge #942915 01/14/18 04:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Newhart, The bob newhart show, and just this morning, Hearts Afire.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Ultra Jorge #942992 01/15/18 07:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Supergirl... with the Legion! Can't believe no one's online right now. frown

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
Page 85 of 86 1 2 83 84 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,280
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Jinx
Jinx
Where EDE hangs his nelly li'l Green Arrow Cap!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star