Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad), 43 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Eryk Davis Ester - 03/29/24 08:59 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Gaseous Lad - 03/29/24 08:18 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/29/24 08:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 03/29/24 08:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/29/24 07:00 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/29/24 06:59 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: LSH in CW Supergirl
Evolution Has Failed #942587 01/06/18 08:50 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Bumping, as well as linking to the discussion of this in the Supergirl TV Series thread in the Anywhere machine.

Evolution Has Failed #942632 01/07/18 12:24 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Other than the Indigo thing, I wouldn't be surprised if the show runners didn't want another green alien featured when they already have J'onn and his dad (and occasionally Miss Martian mimicking green Martian features) on the show. It's probably the same reason they didn't feature green Mantis in Guardians of the Galaxy with them already featuring Drax and Gamora. Of course, in Mantis' case, she wasn't originally green.

Still, Brainy not being green and blonde kinda sucks.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #942633 01/07/18 12:46 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Paladin
Other than the Indigo thing, I wouldn't be surprised if the show runners didn't want another green alien featured when they already have J'onn and his dad (and occasionally Miss Martian mimicking green Martian features) on the show. It's probably the same reason they didn't feature green Mantis in Guardians of the Galaxy with them already featuring Drax and Gamora. Of course, in Mantis' case, she wasn't originally green.

Yeah, that's my thought, too. They just didn't want to overdo it with the green, and possibly confuse viewers not familiar with the Legion who might think that a green Brainiac 5 had something to do with the green Martians.

(At one time, the Guardians had a green Drax, a green Gamora, a green Mantis and a green Bug. It was getting pretty silly!)

Last edited by Set; 01/07/18 12:46 PM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Evolution Has Failed #942634 01/07/18 01:39 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
The actor, Jesse Rath, who is playing Brainy has been taking it all in stride, though. grin

Set #942635 01/07/18 01:43 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Set

(At one time, the Guardians had a green Drax, a green Gamora, a green Mantis and a green Bug. It was getting pretty silly!)

I know, right? lol I'd forgotten about Bug being in the mix there, too!

I'm a little disappointed that there's (apparently) just Brainy, Mon and Imra in the episode. I mean, I'm sure there will be room for more down the line, but I assumed there were more than just ONE more Legionnaire frozen in that ship!

Lard Lad #942639 01/07/18 01:57 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I'm a little disappointed that there's (apparently) just Brainy, Mon and Imra in the episode. I mean, I'm sure there will be room for more down the line, but I assumed there were more than just ONE more Legionnaire frozen in that ship!

There seemed to be six pods with people in them, so there should be more, but I'd rather see three Legionnaires done at least semi-well, than a bunch of young actors standing around calling themselves Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy, etc. and then not doing a darn thing, if that makes any sense. The less they focus on, the more they can concentrate on giving the few they are using a chance to shine (and they've already got a full cast of characters to service on this show).

Evolution Has Failed #942640 01/07/18 02:20 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I'm assuming will see the rest soon enough, if not in this episode. The episode synopsis says that the Legion will be teaming up with the DEO to go after Reign.

Evolution Has Failed #942675 01/07/18 11:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I know it's likely we'll see more than just these three, but counting Mon as one of the three likely featured in the episode is disappointing as far as keeping us from seeing more for the time being.

One odd factoid: We know the president played by Lynda Carter is a Durlan, so we've at least seen someone of that race on the show. What if she's somehow Yera, awoken earlier than the others? Or maybe she's at least an ancestor of Yera or Reep.

Lard Lad #942678 01/08/18 12:28 AM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
I know it's likely we'll see more than just these three, but counting Mon as one of the three likely featured in the episode is disappointing as far as keeping us from seeing more for the time being.

One odd factoid: We know the president played by Lynda Carter is a Durlan, so we've at least seen someone of that race on the show. What if she's somehow Yera, awoken earlier than the others? Or maybe she's at least an ancestor of Yera or Reep.

Maybe she's really R.J. Brande?

Watching television is not an activity.
Malvolio #942683 01/08/18 02:41 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Malvolio

Maybe she's really R.J. Brande?

tongue

Anyhow, her character hasn't even appeared this season, and I haven't heard that she will at some point. I think, though, that if they brought in Reep or Yera, it would, at the very least, make for a nice story or sidebar opportunity. The President could be shown to have had a great influence on Durlan history, for instance.

I've watched Supergirl and the other CW Arrowverse shows from the beginning, btw. I'd be curious as to who else here has at least been watching Supergirl all along and how that colors your expectations around the Legion's emergence.

Evolution Has Failed #942705 01/09/18 07:45 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cw-boss-apos-optimistic-apos-190644489.html

Well, if 'the CW' thinks that their brand is already too diluted by comic book heroes, the chances of a Legion series seems slim. (with some seventy-five main characters available, and a hundred or so minor ones)

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Evolution Has Failed #942707 01/09/18 09:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
More images from the episode with a focus on Saturn Girl in costume. CBR

I see Tinya, maybe, not Imra. I know I’m way behind on the show but if what I heard about Saturn Girl and Mon-El is true then I may be beyond giving them the benefit of the doubt. I’ll be calling this the Mirror Universe Legion.

Evolution Has Failed #942708 01/09/18 01:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
One reason I asked in my last post if anyone had been following the Supergirl series from the beginning or so is because of the perspective that would bring. I mean, first and foremost, this show is called "Supergirl", so anything done within it is supposed to serve her story. In that sense using Mon-El to affect her and provide romantic tension in the way they are serves her story. I'm not saying this is how I would have done it if I were in charge, but they can justify it in the context of the show.

After thinking bout it some, I also wouldn't be surprised if they made Imra a brunette to keep people from thinking that Mon might have been attracted to her because she shared that feature with Kara.

Also, I don't recall exactly how well-received the Legion was in Smallville, but they sure seemed to have very little presence in the series. If I'm correct, they only appeared as a group (Garth, Imra, Rokk) in one episode, and Brainiac 5 appeared separately a good bit later. At least here they seem more integral and look to have a bigger presence than they ever did on Smallville.

Evolution Has Failed #942724 01/09/18 11:52 PM
Active
Active
Smallville was all about cramming in as many DC guest stars as possible. The main arrowverse world does that for the CW. The fact that Supergirl tends to focus on super – adjacent Characters bodes well for the legion to be better used that it was on Smallville.

Lard Lad #942731 01/10/18 06:20 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Also, I don't recall exactly how well-received the Legion was in Smallville, but they sure seemed to have very little presence in the series. If I'm correct, they only appeared as a group (Garth, Imra, Rokk) in one episode, and Brainiac 5 appeared separately a good bit later. At least here they seem more integral and look to have a bigger presence than they ever did on Smallville.

While the Legion on Smallville were naturally not terribly faithful to the comic version of the characters (just as Smallville's version of pretty much everything was it's own beast), I kind of loved how the Legion were ready to kill Brainiac, and Clark was 'We don't kill.' I grew up with a Legion that *said* that they were inspired by the example and heroic ideals of Superman, but this was kind of the first time I saw those words put into action, which was kind of cool. (Contrast to some whacky notion in the comics at the time that Superman's ideals came from the examples of Imra, Garth and Rokk, representing Truth, Justice and, uh, the Braalian Way?)

It was also kind of neat to see Garth and Rokk combining their powers to fire off an electromagnetic pulse. (Something else else I'm sure comic-Rokk could do solo, but I like the idea of team work and team tactics, something that a pre-established team like the Legion should have.)

Honestly, the idea that this Supergirl interpretation of the Legion seems so much further removed from any comic book iteration of the team than even the Smallville version is kind of a bummer for me. I watch all the DC shows anyway, so I'll watch this, but I'm not as jazzed as I am by Vixen (and soon Constantine?) being a member of the Legends.

Set #942743 01/10/18 02:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Set

While the Legion on Smallville were naturally not terribly faithful to the comic version of the characters (just as Smallville's version of pretty much everything was it's own beast), I kind of loved how the Legion were ready to kill Brainiac, and Clark was 'We don't kill.' I grew up with a Legion that *said* that they were inspired by the example and heroic ideals of Superman, but this was kind of the first time I saw those words put into action, which was kind of cool. (Contrast to some whacky notion in the comics at the time that Superman's ideals came from the examples of Imra, Garth and Rokk, representing Truth, Justice and, uh, the Braalian Way?)

It was also kind of neat to see Garth and Rokk combining their powers to fire off an electromagnetic pulse. (Something else else I'm sure comic-Rokk could do solo, but I like the idea of team work and team tactics, something that a pre-established team like the Legion should have.)

Honestly, the idea that this Supergirl interpretation of the Legion seems so much further removed from any comic book iteration of the team than even the Smallville version is kind of a bummer for me. I watch all the DC shows anyway, so I'll watch this, but I'm not as jazzed as I am by Vixen (and soon Constantine?) being a member of the Legends.

Honestly, I was fairly pleased by the Smallville version of the Legion as well. It was a bit odd for me, though, because I had drifted away from the show well before the time the episode aired. I watched the episode but still kept away from the show with few exceptions. I think if they'd had the Legion appear more and be a bigger part of the over-arching storylines, it would have brought me back.

That said, I didn't catch the Brainiac 5 episode. I know he was also played by James Marsters, who had played Brainiac. I don't think they bothered to make Brainy green, just as they didn't Brainiac.

The word that they have a bigger role to play on Supergirl is very encouraging (though I've been onboard with all the CW shows all along, so it's doesn't serve the same loyalty function that the Legion continuing on Smallville would have done for me).

Evolution Has Failed #942782 01/11/18 07:55 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
[Linked Image]

So everyone knows this, right?

(1) Brainiac 5, Supergirl CW
(2) Brainiac 5, Superman, the Animated Series, "New Kids in Town"
(3) Brainiac 5, Justice League Unlimited, "Far From Home" (spoiler alert: Supergirl remains in the 31st century, forever)

So, TV Brainiac, consistent, right?

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Evolution Has Failed #942993 01/15/18 07:54 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Am I the only one curious about this Legion and who else is apart of it?

has anyone seen the new eps. yet to get any/ all of the new details? watching now but didn't want to post spoilers.

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Klar Ken T5477 #943037 01/16/18 07:29 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
[Linked Image]

So everyone knows this, right?

(1) Brainiac 5, Supergirl CW
(2) Brainiac 5, Superman, the Animated Series, "New Kids in Town"
(3) Brainiac 5, Justice League Unlimited, "Far From Home" (spoiler alert: Supergirl remains in the 31st century, forever)

So, TV Brainiac, consistent, right?

[Linked Image]

'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com
Evolution Has Failed #943041 01/16/18 08:32 AM
Active
Active
The episode wasn't bad, keeping in mind that this is the CW version of the Legion.

Saturn Girl being telekinetic as well as telepathic is OK with me, although they did have her do the fingers-to-the-head thing at least once...argh!
I even kinda liked Brainy. No forcefield belt yet, though. My biggest disappointment was Mon-El. What, 7 years and still no powers? Really?

Cool things: Name checked Winath, Ayla, and the Blight! So now we know what the Legion's mission is...Save Winath and the future from the Blight.

Looking forward to more Legion.

Evolution Has Failed #943047 01/16/18 11:43 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I broke my personal ban on watching Supergirl just for the Legion. Couldn't watch it all. Brainy looked and acted like a spazzed out wannabee Einstein. You've got Saturn Girl right there. A telepath. And he looked like a diseased corpse...WTF?

I'm not dissing the actor, never seen him before and I'm sure he's perfectly decent. But that was....... Mon-el founded the legion? So far beyond WTF to me that I can't even quantify.

nope.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Evolution Has Failed #943077 01/16/18 10:59 PM
Active
Active
Mon-El sports a more comic accurate costume at 0:03

Evolution Has Failed #943096 01/17/18 10:15 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I reconciled that TV/movie versions of our favorite characters were going to be departures from the comics all the way back in 1978. I really don't care if Imra isa telekinetic brunette.

I do like how Legion elements have been peppered throughout the series, from planet names to minor characters, then Mon-El and now a Legion. Maybe it isn't a grand Legion 'authentic' to one or more versions of the comics that some of us us envisioned, but so what? I am hard-pressed to think of anything in the Arrowverse or in any adapted-from-comics series or movies that is.

Mon-El: despite not being the comics Mon-El, a good choice. Super-heroines like Kara suffer from what I call the 'Steve Trevor factor,' in which dating a normal guy can make that guy seem wimpy (unless developed well before they start dating) or else dating a powerful figure runs the risk of overshadowing her. A fellow alien with some owners but not as many as hers, with a similar background and long-standing ties to the El mythos frankly makes sense. A good call for the 2nd series boyfriend, and a good complication for a 3rd series return. And that he is now a moral anchor of the Legion, inspired by Kara, shows his own growth since his selfishness early on.

Imra: not 'our' Imra, but so what? TK powers in an action-oriented show makes sense, especially without the full Legion there. Imra admiring Kara as an inspiration derails/redirects a lot of the usual women-vying-for-the-same-guy tropes, and she being the one to push Mon-El into intervention shows her chops too.

Brainy: A good blend of alien but functional in human culture, aloof but not too robotic, a dork but likely so. I'm glad he isn't just Joe Human with green skin. This iteration really works.

The others: I'm glad they seem to be taking their time fo a slow unveiling. And as Reign recruits allies, there is more excuse to wake some of the others.

Bottom line? This was fun, and I look forward to more!

Still wondering how Jenni/XS fits i,n if that was indeed her at the West/Allen wedding.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
Evolution Has Failed #943106 01/17/18 03:16 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I watched it last night and frickin' LOVED me some Brainy! No, he's not exactly this version or that version, but I thought he was pretty damned wonderful! Pretty sure I detected hints of him having a crush on Kara and maybe just a dash of reciprocation from her.

I wouldn't mind them shrinking his glowing forehead orbs a bit or maybe de-fluffing his hair some, but I'll be fine if they don't.

I just hope we get MUCH MORE BRAINY on the show!!!!! love

Evolution Has Failed #943108 01/17/18 03:26 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Yeah, I thought it was pretty great, overall. This Legion seems influenced by the animated Legion more than anything, which isn't a bad thing, imo.

The Brainy-Kara chemistry was weird, but definitely there. Probably moreso than with most of her other love interests on the show, quite frankly, including Mon-El.

And, seriously, he said "sprock"!

And we got a Streaky!

I'm looking forward to more Legion.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,319
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Disdemona
Disdemona
Fort McMurray, AB