Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: LSH in CW Supergirl
Eryk Davis Ester #943113 01/17/18 03:34 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
The Brainy-Kara chemistry was weird, but definitely there. Probably moreso than with most of her other love interests on the show, quite frankly, including Mon-El.

TOO true! lol I do like this more mature Mon better, though.

Originally Posted by EDE
And, seriously, he said "sprock"!

And out loud, at that! lol

Originally Posted by Edie
And we got a Streaky!

YES!!!

Kinda wish, as I just wrote on the main Supergirl show thread, that he was orange, though!

Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Emu
I'm looking forward to more Legion.

ME, TOO!!!

For a second, I thought the platinum blonde in the next episode promo might be Nura, but now I think it's probably Live Wire (the villainess, not Garth! smile )

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Evolution Has Failed #943115 01/17/18 04:56 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
SPOILERS!

That was not only my first Supergirl episode, but my first episode of any of the superhero shows.

Obviously, it’s called “Supergirl” not “Martian Manhunter” or the “Legion and Supergirl.” and the show will revolve around her character. That’s going to mean that the roles and capabilities of others are going to be more limited. Like Superman turning up in the JLA. smile

There are also going to be plenty of changes made by the writers as they try to fit existing concepts and characters into this format. No doubt there’s lots of reasons, from trying to attract certain demographics, through personal choices, to trying to do something to pretend that other people didn’t create all of these characters smile

So with that said:

Keeping the Legionnaires to an initial three was not only a nod to the Adventure days, but a realisation that many more would clog up the show. There’s quite a few other cast members here for the writers to keep up with too. The Legion has to add to a cast, rather than getting the whole show as a spotlight.

Brainy, Lar and Imra were excellent choices if you wanted to pick your first Legionnaires. They are arguably three of the four non-Krypton Legion cornerstones. I wonder if Cham will appear as the Manhunter seems to already fill that role in the show. Ayla got a mention! And they fell into the comic cliché trap of wiping out a world. At least they didn’t say it was blown up, so there’s hope. I don’t think the different look for all three had any adverse impact on the characters and their Legion ties.

Imra is telekinetic. It’s more visual, although there are ways to tweak telepathy to have effects too. The number of other characters and it being Supergirl meant that she wasn’t going to show lots of her strengths. Although she didn’t get to do lots, it’s a promising start. In the comics, Imra’s mom was telekinetic and Levitz had her use some TK (although that was debatably in error) in v7.

I’ve not seen any of the previous Mon-El appearances, but it looks as though he’s been there long enough to have had a failed relationship with Supergirl. The episode did a good job of giving details, without getting bogged down to the point the other Legionnaires got limited time. Looking back at Mon-El’s first comics appearance, it could easily have been tweaked for a more romantic tone. I guess it’s because the show is Supergirl’s that we don’t see Mon (or Manhunter) as physically stronger.

After the first second getting over the appearance, I quite liked Brainy. He’s not genius Brainy who’s a jerk; he’s genius Brainy who’s looking out for his friends.
The moment where he revealed he’d doctored his virtual appearance to impress Kara was nicely done. He’s no less awkward than the original Brainy appearance where he bluntly asks Kara to stay in the future to be his girl. I got the feeling the writers are going to have fun with their relationship. More so, if there’s been a Mon-El romance too.

Having him firing from a spaceship seemed a bit odd, when I’m so used to seeing him with a forcefield. No reason why the forcefield tech couldn’t have been altered to reach out and thump someone. It did keep the ship, and its cargo (3 more Legionnaires at least!) firmly in scope though.

The Blight seem to be the reason for the Legion being there. There must still be folks at DC wondering just why that DnA run didn’t have more of an impact. The Legion’s situation reminded of the Mordru story where they fled into time, as well has having a Legion Lost feel to it. The first one, not the pants second one. smile

Hopefully, their genetic solution will seem more plausible as it goes on, but at least the writers addressed the “can’t get involved” for a definite reason that wasn’t just altering the timestream. The amount of information the future knows is also addressed head on. The show gets points for getting that out of the way too.

I didn’t intend to even mention the Legion comic in the above. It’s only fair that the TV format gets a clean slate, and I was happy to judge it on that. But they’ve obviously done a lot of background work on the Legion, so it would have been a shame not to mention it. Massive, massive points for having a Streaky cameo! It looks as though Streaky isn’t getting superpowers, so they provided a layer of depth to Kara through their relationship. Nicely done.

(Since the Legion are mucking around with genetics and can time travel, there’s no reason why Brainy’s parting gift to Kara can’t be Whizzy! smile )

I can’t say I’ve suddenly turned into a fan of Superhero shows/films off the back of this. There’s a bigger “budget” in the first few pages of most comics than a TV show is ever going to have. There’s nothing wrong with the action sequences chosen, but I just found it too stagey.

The dialogue came across as overly trimmed to the point of clunky at times, which is the polish you get in a format where every moment counts.

The main, non-Legion cast came across as very samey. Perhaps they all get bigger roles normally, and had to step back because the Legion are now there. It tough to juggle that cast and keep everyone happy.

I think they did really well with the budget. Having a familiar interior, and subplot in Kara’s mind, while also having additional cast and action, created a nice balance in the story and probably to the balance sheet too.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Evolution Has Failed #951813 06/15/18 07:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Brainy actor Jesse rath promoted to series regular on Supergirl!!!

As stated above, I dig the show's take on Brainy, so I'm stoked to see him a full-time cast member! I'm not crazy about how the show has taken to Brainy using a "hologram", so he can fit in on Earth (and save the actor some make-up time). But I've enjoyed the character lots and just love the thought that such an archetypal Legion character will have the chance to grow and hopefully have some of his own plotlines.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Evolution Has Failed #951814 06/15/18 08:23 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Hopefully it means will get to see more Legion next season!

Evolution Has Failed #954162 07/21/18 07:03 PM
#deleteFacebook
Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/21/supergirl-season-4-tv-first-transgender-superhero-dreamer/
The panel named transgender activist Nicole Maines (Royal Pains, The Trans List, Becoming Nicole book) joining the show in the series regular role of Nia Nal, aka Dreamer. The newest addition to the CatCo reporting team, she is described as a soulful young transgender woman with a fierce drive to protect others, Nia’s journey this season means fulfilling her destiny as the superhero Dreamer

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Evolution Has Failed #954166 07/22/18 03:28 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Interesting choice for the next Legionnaire to debut. Dreamer has one of the less flashy powers. of course, they do save on special effects...

Invisible Brainiac #954174 07/22/18 05:34 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Interesting choice for the next Legionnaire to debut. Dreamer has one of the less flashy powers. of course, they do save on special effects...

Dreamer: The villain will strike next...there!
Villain: (About to strike exactly there, but stopped by Supergirl)
Supergirl: Thanks Dreamer. I don't know how you do it. It's like you see the future as if it was scripted!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Evolution Has Failed #954176 07/22/18 06:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
And all she has to do is hold her head and make like she’s having a headache

Evolution Has Failed #954206 07/23/18 04:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Looks like this is another ancestor, like the Phantom Girl in The Terrifics and mystery girl in The Flash being Nora, not Jenni.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #954213 07/23/18 09:10 AM
#deleteFacebook
Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
I think there is an inherent problem in the idea of her being a direct ancestor of Nura, unless magic is involved...

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Evolution Has Failed #954225 07/23/18 11:36 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
If there are enough ancestors, could there be a L.E.G.I.O.N. series, with occasional forays into the future as budget allows?

Evolution Has Failed #954415 07/25/18 01:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
They could bring in Snapper Carr (Jr.) with his teleportation, and maybe Dust Devil - start up The Blasters!

Evolution Has Failed #954432 07/25/18 03:44 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Hot on the heels of their smash... well. they had that Invasion! Special...

Evolution Has Failed #963427 11/20/18 02:05 PM
L
lm8 Offline
Substitute
Substitute
L
Enjoying reading the comments on the Legion in Supergirl. Didn't pick up that Nia Nal was Dreamer, so that was interesting to read about. They mentioned Lightning Lad on Flash. Was afraid when the villain on Flash showed up with weird Lightning Bolt like tech, they might make him a bad guy. So glad they did not go that route. However, XS's reference to Lightning Lad and Imra in the Supergirl universe mentioning Ayla but not Garth left me wondering if they should combine the Legion members from the various universes to make a full Legion team or whether they just have two full teams (possibily at different time periods) in both universes. It would be really nice to see some Legion fan fiction on the TV versions of the Legion since the shows don't fill in much background. Anyone have any story ideas or care to brainstorm what they think will happen with the Legion characters and their team or teams (especially if the characters from the Supergirl show ran into the ones from the Flash show). Maybe we can get a story idea thread going in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business section of the forum. Think it might be fun to write some stories to fill in some of the gaps.

lm8 #963444 11/21/18 06:43 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by lm8
However, XS's reference to Lightning Lad and Imra in the Supergirl universe mentioning Ayla but not Garth left me wondering if they should combine the Legion members from the various universes to make a full Legion team or whether they just have two full teams (possibily at different time periods) in both universes.

Since The Flash and Supergirl are set on different earths of the multiverse, it would make sense that Mon-El and XS have encountered different Legions in their futures. (Although one or both could have moved through the multiverse as well as through time, which would be particularly ironic in the case of XS, since she's got all this mommy wangst she's been taking out on someone who may be an AU doppleganger of her real mom...)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Evolution Has Failed #963549 11/24/18 02:36 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K

Brainiac 5's battle technique begins at 1:OO.

Last edited by Klar Ken T5477; 12/01/18 01:08 PM.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Evolution Has Failed #963553 11/24/18 05:01 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
OK, that was funny, if absurd. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Evolution Has Failed #963800 12/01/18 09:49 AM
L
lm8 Offline
Substitute
Substitute
L
Seems like they're using Brainiac 5 more as comic relief rather than taking him seriously in most of the Supergirl episodes. Maybe we'll see more on the Sunday 12/2 episode. The advertisements for the episode appear to feature Brainiac 5 and Nia, but it looks like it's more slapstick than serious. Wish they'd show his powers more seriously, but I guess it's hard for less than 12th level intellect writers to write dialogue for a 12th level intellect.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,846
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Gamara
Gamara
NJ