Roll Call
0 members (), 13 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/23/24 08:21 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/23/24 06:45 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/23/24 05:45 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/23/24 05:43 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by rickshaw1 - 04/23/24 04:12 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 03:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
So what are you WATCHING? Part 2
#943182 01/19/18 05:59 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
(You can close the other thread now, Rick. Thanks for the alert.)

I recently replaced a DVD set I'd given away a few years ago -- Hawaii Five-0 The Original Series, Season 1. The show was never a favorite of mine, but it had its moments.

The 2-hour TV movie pilot, though, it's breath-taking, as stylish as any of the best big-screen spy thrillers of that time (1968!) And the DVD presents it in its original broadcast format, instead of the way it was chopped in half for syndication and had the original (superior) title sequence removed. Makes all the difference.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Re: So what are you WATCHING? Part 2
Ann Hebistand #943219 01/20/18 09:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And thank you for starting this one, Ann.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #943243 01/20/18 04:15 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
My pleasure, Rick.

I think the next thing I might watch is the first Season 3 episode of "2 Broke Girls." That's the one where Max gets all mushy about a stray kitten. I remember towards the end of the episode, when she and Caroline are going to abandon the kitten, Max remarks, "This is a lot harder for me than when I abandoned my drug-addict cousin's newborn baby."

Yes, the humor on that show was often crass. Even Kat Dennings & Beth Behrs have admitted that some of the jokes made them just as uncomfortable as they made a lot of viewers.

But the way I try to look at it is, I believe we NEED that kind of humor as a catharsis. There's a difference between humor that offends just for the sake of being offensive, and humor that tickles that little devil in our brains that says, "Admit it, you've thought that but never said it out loud." Ideally, a comedy show that pushes the envelope would be less hit-and-miss that 2BG was, but I think the hits outnumbered the misses by a healthy ratio.

Ann Hebistand #943248 01/20/18 05:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I tried "fortitude" last night and couldn't get into it. Been watching a lot of retro lately.

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #943628 01/28/18 04:33 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
What are You Watching Season 2: Electric Boogaloo!

I just binge-watched The Runaways, on Hulu, and it was pretty cool. A lot changed from the comics, but it was still pretty awesome (and they found an interesting hook to tie everything together, and much, much further develop the Pride, who got kind of short shrift in the comics).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ann Hebistand #943810 02/01/18 09:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
HOLY CRAP!

I found the Crisis on Earth X collection on CW.

I don't think I've ever seen anything so awesome on television!

I'm on the first part, the wedding on Supergirl.

I was dreading the wedding the whole episode because only bad things happen in comics' weddings. But then there was a battle royale which was so awesome!!!!!!!!!

Ann Hebistand #943811 02/01/18 09:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
oh shit! Reverse Flash just showed up!!!!!

Ann Hebistand #944207 02/10/18 05:30 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Runaways tv show on Hulu might be my favorite show now. I put off watching it because I loved the book so much I thought it couldn't live up to it but ... live up to it it did, it is a bit different but the changes make it better for tv IMO.

Those kids are awesome! TriplicateGirl ChlorophyllKid Tusker Chameleon ArmFallOffBoy Gates Ornitho

Ann Hebistand #944612 02/17/18 07:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Currently, One Day at a Time, the remake.

How the hell does Rita Moreno still have a figure like that at 86?

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #945585 03/10/18 10:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Found Cougar Town on Hulu. Loved it then and I'm watching it now. Lash would love that.

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #946098 03/21/18 04:21 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Mario Bava double feature -- "Kill, Baby, Kill" and "Baron Blood."

Amazing how Bava got so much grandeur and such atmosphere out of tiny budgets that these days wouldn't even pay the catering bill.

Ann Hebistand #946246 03/24/18 12:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It was like that at one point, Ann. Heck, Film Noir was the outgrowth of trying to make movies with very low budgets. And even though a lot of people consider it out of date, many elements of it still linger in so many ways. Mood lighting, characters that didn't look like they stepped off a bandbox.

I wish they'd do that with some of the superhero movies they are putting out now. They all look so squeaky clean. Even the dirty parts (like explosions and battle remains) look sterile to me. Nothing beats the dirt of life. Less special effects and more practical. I know not everything is practical, but it just seems more alive.

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #946271 03/25/18 04:19 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Very well said, Rick.

Bava was fortunate that he was able to become a director -- after many years of honing his skills as a cinematographer and a special-effects man -- at a time when the global B-Movie industry was still thriving, while simultaneously Italy's own movie industry was at its all-time peak of productivity, hosting everything from big-budget American epics to home-grown potboilers.

Fun fact: A few years before Boris Karloff passed away, he said that working with Bava (on the "Wurdalak" segment of "Black Sabbath,") was the most fun he ever had making a movie.

Ann Hebistand #946638 03/31/18 04:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Right now, I'm watching I,Zombie on a binge.

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #946985 04/07/18 08:28 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Still love it. Still my favorite of the Trek movies with the original series' crew.

Admittedly, there is some sentimental value at play here, as it was the first Trek movie I saw on the weekend of its big-screen premiere, so in that sense it will always be my personal, special Trek movie.

Ann Hebistand #947035 04/08/18 06:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Okay, getting a serious jump the shark feeling for Izombie right now. Catching up on season 4? on CW. New Seattle? 2 eps into the new season. Better pick up.

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #947160 04/09/18 06:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Shark is officially jumped.

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #947254 04/11/18 10:57 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Wild Wild Country is a documentary series about the notorious fight in the 1980s for control of a U.S. town called Antelope, Oregon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Wild_Country

I remember the Rajneesh and his followers making national news back then. My own move to (urban) OR was still a ways off.

It's pretty fascinating. I accepted pretty quickly that I would like virtually no one on either side of the dispute. There were moments in which each declared they were being persecuted in a "Holocaust" and you'd better believe I made mr_cleome turn the show off for a few minutes so I could pound my fist on the desk and rant.

Good viewing, though. Just don't watch it to relax and unwind.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ann Hebistand #947469 04/14/18 03:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just finished Bosch season 4 and am starting Lost in Space.

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #948506 05/02/18 12:37 AM
Active
Active
Baseball. A couple of years ago I decided to make an attempt to start following baseball, the sport I decided I was most likely to get into. Well, the sport I'm most likely to get into is MMA, what with the hot guys rolling around on top of each other. But baseball is the one I'm most likely to get into as a sport. It didn't work out, mostly because the main guy I had to talk about it to turned out to be a Sports Bro who was constantly lecturing me on what "Real Fans" do, and I lost interest. Now I've decided to try again.

The team I followed last time and this time was the Angels, mostly because Mike Trout was the only current baseball player I could name at the time.

By sheer luck, I wandered into something pretty special. I almost immediately got to see the first major league game by Shohei Ohtani. I hadn't heard of him, but he is apparently a baseball prodigy from Japan, so good at both hitting and pitching that commentators constantly have to go back to Babe Ruth to make comparisons. That's not always a good thing. You will be SHOCKED, I'm sure, to learn that this baseball rookie is not able to consistently match the rose-colored memories of the greatest player in the history of the sport, whose career has passed out of living memory.

But by sheer luck, I get to follow a sensational player, wherrever his career goes, from his very first major league at bat. That's pretty cool, and it's helped to keep me focused. Lord knows I need it, with 20+ hours of baseball to watch every week.

Ann Hebistand #948523 05/02/18 01:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Better Off Ted. Quirky fun show that didn't seem to catch on.

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #948567 05/03/18 06:37 PM
You Nina Simone fans... you know who you are. If you haven't seen this fabulous (and heartbreaking) documentary yet, you know what to do.

http://amazingnina.com

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ann Hebistand #950023 05/25/18 03:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Been binging lately. Watched LA to Vegas. Lunacy. Very fun.

In the middle of American Gods, Gaiman's story. In the middle of a Murder of Gods. Haven't read the book, but get Odin is in hiding. Stormire seems like a Thor wannabee, maybe...Perun?

American Housewife. Love this show and she is gorgeous.

Cougar Town, Better off Ted and the UK version of Coupling are my "Knock me the sexual intercourse out and put me to sleep", but I love them anyway. The Bed Time episode of Coupling is possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen. Well, that and the Lesbian Spank Inferno episode.

Watched the new Lost in Space show. It was meh. Part of the appeal of those old shows, to me, was the genuine goofy charm of them. Now everything is either balls to the walls gonzo, or so damn depressingly serious just watching makes you want to go out and murder puppies.

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #952431 06/25/18 05:38 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Recently, I've reevaluated the overall work of David Lynch, and my turn from generally disliking him to generally liking him -- which began years ago, the first time I watched Mulholland Drive -- has now reached a full 180 degrees.

Back in the early 90s, when he was at the peak of his fame-slash-infamy, I foolishly lumped him in with all the cynical smart-asses in movies, music, TV, and comics who subjected viewers to ugliness for its own sake, and with an icky nostalgic streak to boot.

But now I interpret his work as being that of a true subversive -- he clearly knows very well that it's not smart to take the kitsch of his (or anyone's) childhood and early adolescence at face value, but he also accepts it sentimental value; and he's at all not desensitized to the ugly side of life, but, rather, I see him as being extraordinarily sensitive and empathic, and he simply presents his highly individualized vision of existence as something both horrific and fanciful, neither one negating the other.

Are all his works perfect? No. But sometimes their faults were not his artistic intention (for example, with "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me," most the lighter scenes and supporting-character bits ended up on the cutting-room floor because the movie's producers and financiers insisted that the movie had to be a certain length.) And I also see a very clear upward curve of artistic evolution and maturity when his works are lined up chronologically.

I haven't yet watched the "Twin Peaks" web-series revival, but I'm certainly more proactive now about changing that.

Ann Hebistand #955957 08/14/18 06:00 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Super late to the party, but damn (the British) show The Inbetweeners is so good! Seriously relatable stuff for any guy.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,912
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Super Lad Kid
Super Lad Kid
Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star